Give then job and then ripped away.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

nma85 in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

16 months ago

I applied for a job internally at my company, was given an interview 2 months later for two positions in the same department. They were very much in desperate need to fill these positions. (so they said) was told about 10 days later that i was selected for one of the positions. The HR rep then told me she just had to process the paperwork and get approvals it should only take a couple of days. 1 month and 1 week later I get an email that the position has been cancelled. something about on hold, and i can reapply if it gets re-posted in the future, but keep checking the internal job postings.
How can they do this to me after all this time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

16 months ago

The company can do that to you because they are in control. Unemployment is still higher than it was 8 years ago. These days, company profits seem to rule and employees are seen as expendable. "If that person quits, they can be easily/ quickly replaced". But, if the company can get another person to do the job of 3-4 (especially at the same pay), there is no need to bring in someone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: The company can do that to you because they are in control. Unemployment is still higher than it was 8 years ago. These days, company profits seem to rule and employees are seen as expendable. "If that person quits, they can be easily/ quickly replaced". But, if the company can get another person to do the job of 3-4 (especially at the same pay), there is no need to bring in someone else.

They can always say, "You're lucky to even have a job".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: The company can do that to you because they are in control. Unemployment is still higher than it was 8 years ago. These days, company profits seem to rule and employees are seen as expendable. "If that person quits, they can be easily/ quickly replaced". But, if the company can get another person to do the job of 3-4 (especially at the same pay), there is no need to bring in someone else.

When you see a posting that says "must be able to work independently", you know you are applying for a job that was previously done by 3 othe people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nma85 in Providence, Rhode Island

16 months ago

I don't think thats fair at all, my manager and her boss, the recruiter and the manager at the new position were all excited to get me up there as soon as possible. I don't even get an explanation as to what went wrong that they had to cancel the position?

16 months ago

Sorry, but fair does not enter the equation. I don't think it's fair that I simply can not find a job while others have jobs thrown at them (someone I was talking to the other day). Oh well, such is my life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Sorry, but fair does not enter the equation. I don't think it's fair that I simply can not find a job while others have jobs thrown at them (someone I was talking to the other day). Oh well, such is my life.

Tell me about it, I am stuck in a customer service job, and while yes it's a job, I am so stressed out beyond belief that it's affecting my health. They shouldn't have even offered the job to me before double checking the details. It's not like the company isn't making any money, I work there, I just got an email about how much revenue we made last quarter.

16 months ago

Trust me, I know exactly what you mean and are going through. I keep hearing stories of companies earning record profits while their employees earn less than $10/ hour, part time, no benefits. I see jobs advertised with a half mile long litany of "requirements" and starting pay of $15/ hour and less.

I'm sorry, those companies want me to totally fry whats left of myself doing the work of 3 for poverty wages while the company earns record profits? And people wonder why unions popped up 100 years ago.... I wonder why unions aren't in full bloom again.....

Nick in Linden, New Jersey

16 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: They can always say, "You're lucky to even have a job".

Mine has basically said that to me! =D =/

OP, my job started me out as management in training at a decent living wage, then the training ended and they noticed that according to their budgets, there was no room to make me a manager of anything. So right now, I'm sitting around at 33% pay cut, waiting for a management job to come up. It's that or hit the road!

Jeff in Washington, District of Columbia

16 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Trust me, I know exactly what you mean and are going through. I keep hearing stories of companies earning record profits while their employees earn less than $10/ hour, part time, no benefits. I see jobs advertised with a half mile long litany of "requirements" and starting pay of $15/ hour and less.

I'm sorry, those companies want me to totally fry whats left of myself doing the work of 3 for poverty wages while the company earns record profits? And people wonder why unions popped up 100 years ago.... I wonder why unions aren't in full bloom again.....

Research "Twilight of the Elites".

Jeff in Washington, District of Columbia

16 months ago

nma85 in Providence, Rhode Island said: I don't think thats fair at all, my manager and her boss, the recruiter and the manager at the new position were all excited to get me up there as soon as possible. I don't even get an explanation as to what went wrong that they had to cancel the position?

No, it isn't fair. But that's how things are done in America these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Jeff in Washington, District of Columbia said: Research "Twilight of the Elites".

Looked it up as you suggested. Thank you for that.

A quote from one of the reviews:
Those who reach the top may be insulated enough to be out of touch with those below; and rewarded for moral laxness, while those who don't cheat are penalized.

Been seeing that for years!

16 months ago

Trainer2013 in Fairfield, Connecticut said: Being unemployed or looking for a new position, it is hard to know where to find the edge in today’s fast pace and ever changing information technology world.
With our training you will increase your employment marketability by adding new skills and certifications.
Our offering focuses on a concentrated hands-on approach to business intelligence with Cognos and TM1. Using materials, webex's, and webinars.
We also assist students with job placement assistance. Current full time salaries are between $70,000 and $90,000 to start and on the consulting side rates range from $50 to $100.
Classes fill up fast so contact us today to learn more...

yea this is crap... most employers have on site job training. the job i just applied for was requirement of a high school diploma and it started at 18/hr. too bad its GONE

16 months ago

Many of us on these forums are under and unemployed. We simply do not have the money for more training.

Do I remember seeing a question of how much the classes are that was left unanswered?

16 months ago

So, please share with us exactly where are we to come up with almost $1500 when we are trying to scrape money together for food and mortgage/rent, and utilities?

That is where the hostility comes in. You want to help us. You make money by helping us. We do not have the money to give to you. Can you see how that might be a hot button issue for some of us?

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Do you really think an unemployed person has this kind of money unless of course he's been saving. But still, why would I fork over this kind of money when I don't even know you. And, your spelling and writing skills are really not stellar. That along makes me hesitant about your skills/abilities.

Go away...we've actually have been quite pleasant. You should see how we have treated other posters selling their service. Write guys? :)

Yeah, that's right or is it write? Engee is my second language.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

16 months ago

It's not a matter of hate, Joe. It's a matter of respect - for the forum and other users who have to navigate around that disruptive nonsense to follow a discussion.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.