I HATE Almost All Job Interviews!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 134)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Goneoffeverything in Virginia

14 months ago

I am getting so sick and tired of employers acting like you owe hem the world in interviews. If you don't kiss their tails during the process..forget the job. They also judge you by your looks. If you are Black and walk into an all non-black job..forget the job, you aint getting it..and don't let your hair be non-relaxed or in its natural textured state smh. Yes I know the economy is bad in general but you can't deny that the Black unemployment rate is through the roof. Even the whole "dressing up" crap is bull, because everyone doesn't have money to wear the best clothes to an interview. You need MONEY to buy better clothes, but you need better clothes to get MONEY! It is sick how people play with peoples' lives like this.

That is why I want my own business..whenever that will happen. I am the type of person who would just talk to someone at an interview. A lot of these jobs read off of a sheet of paper and sound so fake doing it. Why can't you just talk to the person like a regular conversation? If you sound scripted, people are just gonna lie and tell you what you want to hear anyways. I would like to run a business where we are professional enough to make money but at the same time, we are just human. Yes people have committed crimes. Yes people have been fired. They have dogs delivering pizzas out here. I say that to say: Who the hell cares? As long as you can do the work, why is all this frivolous, months long HR process mess even necessary.It is like American idol when it comes to these interviews. Better learn how to juggle, walk on stilts or break out in a song or dance, etc., because its a circus act out here when it comes to getting a job.

Yea I just ranted, but do what. I am sick of this whole thing. These jobs don't care at all. They need to stop wasting our time with these interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Even the whole "dressing up" crap is bull, because everyone doesn't have money to wear the best clothes to an interview. You need MONEY to buy better clothes, but you need better clothes to get MONEY! It is sick how people play with peoples' lives like this.

I'll agree with that. I've been able to buy a few nice things for myself to interview in, but it's hard when, as you pointed out, don't have the money. Clothes cost. That's why I try hard to purchase clothes on Sale. I picked up a nice gray Kathy Roberts dress with a jacket at Sears for $30. Just go to know where to look and when to look. But it's how I've tried to build my wardrobe on such limited funds.

There are times I just don't want to dress up, as most other job seekers would prefer to dress as casually as possible, but I do because it's ALWAYS better to look nice and professional than not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

14 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: I am getting so sick and tired of employers acting like you owe hem the world in interviews. If you don't kiss their tails during the process..forget the job. They also judge you by your looks. If you are Black and walk into an all non-black job..forget the job, you aint getting it..and don't let your hair be non-relaxed or in its natural textured state smh. Yes I know the economy is bad in general but you can't deny that the Black unemployment rate is through the roof. Even the whole "dressing up" crap is bull, because everyone doesn't have money to wear the best clothes to an interview. You need MONEY to buy better clothes, but you need better clothes to get MONEY! It is sick how people play with peoples' lives like this.....

I usually just buy something nice at the thrift store since I've always shopped there any way. But even they are starting to raise the prices with everyone jumping on the bandwagon. Value Village has 1/2 off Wednesday at the end of every month. You are right about the unemployment rate in the black community. You can tell what side of town you're on just by length of the line at the Unemployment office and you can bet dollars to donuts those naturals working in the corporate world were not naturals when they first got hired.

I would like to start my own business as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I usually just buy something nice at the thrift store since I've always shopped there any way. But even they are starting to raise the prices with everyone jumping on the bandwagon. Value Village has 1/2 off Wednesday at the end of every month. You are right about the unemployment rate in the black community. You can tell what side of town you're on just by length of the line at the Unemployment office and you can bet dollars to donuts those naturals working in the corporate world were not naturals when they first got hired.

I would like to start my own business as well.

I frequent the thrift shops in upscale neighborhoods. I don't always get lucky but when I do, its a hit. Even if I have to get something altered, its much cheaper than off-the-rack prices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

I tend to go to the Goodwill stores, at least you can try stuff on there. Not saying other thrifts don't have changing rooms, but the Goodwill has nice, clean and well maintained changing rooms so I prefer the Goodwill stores to places like the Salvation Army and Community, a privately owned thrift in Gurnee.

While I tend to get tops and jeans from the Goodwill stores, I've never really taken the time to look at things I could wear for interviews and the few times I did, I found it difficult to get my hands on good pieces or pieces that were altogether, i.e. complete. Maybe it's easier for guys. My uncle was able to get a lot of nice suits, shirts, ties and what not for interviews at the Goodwill stores and paid a fraction of the price he would've paid had he gone to JCP or Sears.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

14 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I tend to go to the Goodwill stores, at least you can try stuff on there. Not saying other thrifts don't have changing rooms, but the Goodwill has nice, clean and well maintained changing rooms so I prefer the Goodwill stores to places like the Salvation Army and Community, a privately owned thrift in Gurnee.

I stopped going to Goodwill since they built all these brand new pretty stores and turned down some of my donations, which was not garbage either. ;\

When I donate, I now give to the local non profit stores that actually are happy and pleased to take whatever I give them. ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I frequent the thrift shops in upscale neighborhoods. I don't always get lucky but when I do, its a hit. Even if I have to get something altered, its much cheaper than off-the-rack prices.

Bingo! and if a nice pair of slacks is too long, I usually just grab my needle and thread and hem it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

14 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: I stopped going to Goodwill since they built all these brand new pretty stores and turned down some of my donations, which was not garbage either. ;\

When I donate, I now give to the local non profit stores that actually are happy and pleased to take whatever I give them. ;)

I've heard that at least some of the thrift shops around here have gotten picky as well. They advertise that they want "gently used" clothing. If a tv is too old (even if it works perfectly and is cosmetically in good shape) they won't take it.

14 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I tend to go to the Goodwill stores, at least you can try stuff on there. Not saying other thrifts don't have changing rooms, but the Goodwill has nice, clean and well maintained changing rooms so I prefer the Goodwill stores to places like the Salvation Army and Community, a privately owned thrift in Gurnee.

While I tend to get tops and jeans from the Goodwill stores, I've never really taken the time to look at things I could wear for interviews and the few times I did, I found it difficult to get my hands on good pieces or pieces that were altogether, i.e. complete. Maybe it's easier for guys. My uncle was able to get a lot of nice suits, shirts, ties and what not for interviews at the Goodwill stores and paid a fraction of the price he would've paid had he gone to JCP or Sears.

You can get lucky. But most times I can find a blazer that matches close enough to the style and color of the skirt and I go from there. I like good will too, it's usually cleaner and like you said, you can try on the clothes, it's a little steeper than the other thrift stores, but you can find a good deal if you fine something nice that's the tag color of the 1/2 off that week.

I'm not against buying a quality two piece at a time from a regular store, but when money is tight that is not always feasible a moment. But I honestly just like to frequent thrift stores. When I was little my mama used to shop for us there, along with K-mart, and I was embarrassed, but when I became a freshman in HS I realized how economical is was for me to look for school clothes there. It got to the point where she had to beg me to buy something "new" lol.

Like Bluetea said, try going to the well-to-do part of town.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I've heard that at least some of the thrift shops around here have gotten picky as well. They advertise that they want "gently used" clothing. If a tv is too old (even if it works perfectly and is cosmetically in good shape) they won't take it.

And they won't take your 8 track either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: When I was little my mama used to shop for us there, along with K-mart, and I was embarrassed, but when I became a freshman in HS I realized how economical is was for me to look for school clothes there. It got to the point where she had to beg me to buy something "new" lol.

When I was a young girl in school I wore a uniform...no shopping for school clothes for me...haha *)

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: And they won't take your 8 track either.

They will probably start taking them when they can resell them on ebay for a healthy profit. I have seen thrift shops around here do that with other items.

The tvs they won't take around here are only a few years old. The analogue sets which need a converter box. Tv works great, just needs a box. But then again, are those still sold?

14 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I've heard that at least some of the thrift shops around here have gotten picky as well. They advertise that they want "gently used" clothing. If a tv is too old (even if it works perfectly and is cosmetically in good shape) they won't take it.

There are two in my area that take anything. One even comes to your house and picks up the items. I've gone to their store numerous times. They are the nicest, most sincere people. They've told me that some people will literally drop off garbage to donate...that's sad and so wrong... :)

14 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: There are two in my area that take anything. One even comes to your house and picks up the items. I've gone to their store numerous times. They are the nicest, most sincere people. They've told me that some people will literally drop off garbage to donate...that's sad and so wrong... :)

That is sad and wrong. I don't understand why people do that. But, there are things I don't understand why they aren't taken.

14 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: When I was a young girl in school I wore a uniform...no shopping for school clothes for me...haha *)

Our school tried to start making us where uniforms and we did for about half the year, until we all slowly reverted back to wearing street clothes lol. My mama liked it better when we had the uniforms. Simple dress, simple upkeep. Less time spent getting ready.

14 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Our school tried to start making us where uniforms and we did for about half the year, until we all slowly reverted back to wearing street clothes lol. My mama liked it better when we had the uniforms. Simple dress, simple upkeep. Less time spent getting ready.

Yea...Catholic school was all about discipline, from what you wore to how you acted or what you said... ;)

So I wonder why I have all these "catholic" issues... hahaha ;)

14 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: Yea...Catholic school was all about discipline, from what you wore to how you acted or what you said... ;)

Actually this was public school lol!

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: Yea...Catholic school was all about discipline, from what you wore to how you acted or what you said... ;)

I use my catholic schooling as an excuse for my bad behavior. It also made me immune to guilt.

14 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I use my catholic schooling as an excuse for my bad behavior.

HAHA...me too!! *)

14 months ago

I shop at thrift stores. I have got to the point where I basically recycle the same interview outfits. I see some people up here say they have spent 200$+ on interview attire and grooming. Wow. I would never these days. Employers should stop being so uptight about it in general especially when they are just making you jump through hoops only not to land the job. I am not saying come in there in sweatpants in pajamas, but I am not about to break the bank as some of these so-called job coaches try to suggest talking about "It is a worthy investment." Yea...ok.

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I use my catholic schooling as an excuse for my bad behavior. It also made me immune to guilt.

I thought Catholic school was supposed to riddle you with guilt?

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I thought Catholic school was supposed to riddle you with guilt?

It does with some people. Others, it instills rebellion. :)

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: They will probably start taking them when they can resell them on ebay for a healthy profit. I have seen thrift shops around here do that with other items.

The tvs they won't take around here are only a few years old. The analogue sets which need a converter box. Tv works great, just needs a box. But then again, are those still sold?

Here, the garbage people won't take TV/Radios/Stereos/computers etc. You have to take them to a reclamation site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: It does with some people. Others, it instills rebellion. :)

I'm one that fell into the guilt category...haha...but that has never stopped me from being "bad". Haha *)

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: It does with some people. Others, it instills rebellion. :)

Yeah, Stalin actually attended a Jesuit school. See how well that turned out.

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Here, the garbage people won't take TV/Radios/Stereos/computers etc. You have to take them to a reclamation site.

The county dumps here are separated into sections. Computers, tv's, etc over there, wood over yonder, etc

14 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: I shop at thrift stores. I have got to the point where I basically recycle the same interview outfits. I see some people up here say they have spent 200$+ on interview attire and grooming. Wow. I would never these days. Employers should stop being so uptight about it in general especially when they are just making you jump through hoops only not to land the job. I am not saying come in there in sweatpants in pajamas, but I am not about to break the bank as some of these so-called job coaches try to suggest talking about "It is a worthy investment." Yea...ok.

I have my one special interview outfit. The other day I had an interview and I was putting on my stockings and the toe part was open and my toe came flying through the stocking...haha Shows how long ago it was since I had an interview... *)

I had to come up with last minute plan B...luckily I had something that was clean, looked decent and fit! =D

14 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: I have my one special interview outfit. The other day I had an interview and I was putting on my stockings and the toe part was open and my toe came flying through the stocking...haha Shows how long ago it was since I had an interview... *)

I had to come up with last minute plan B...luckily I had something that was clean, looked decent and fit! =D

Wow I remember I was using the restroom before a group interview, as I was pulling my hose back up again, it tore.... all the way up the leg. I tried to scrap together what little money I had left ( because it was downtown and I had to pay for parking) I didn't have enough, so it was either go bare or go with a hole in it. I choose to go bare, (good thing I shaved the night before!) Lesson learned, I will have an extra pair on the side in the future lol.

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I thought Catholic school was supposed to riddle you with guilt?

It's like vodka. One little bit has an extreme effect. After too much, you have a high tolerance.

14 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Wow I remember I was using the restroom before a group interview, as I was pulling my hose back up again, it tore.... all the way up the leg. I tried to scrap together what little money I had left ( because it was downtown and I had to pay for parking) I didn't have enough, so it was either go bare or go with a hole in it. I choose to go bare, (good thing I shaved the night before!) Lesson learned, I will have an extra pair on the side in the future lol.

And make sure you shave those legs.... =)

14 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: And make sure you shave those legs.... =)

Ima do that tonight lol. I have an interview tomorrow. Let's see how this goes.. Ima try to stay optimistic, but after a dozen interviews it's like whatever. We will see.

14 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Ima do that tonight lol. I have an interview tomorrow. Let's see how this goes.. Ima try to stay optimistic, but after a dozen interviews it's like whatever. We will see.

Oh congrats! Good luck!

14 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Oh congrats! Good luck!

Thank You because I am just about at the end of the rope at this point. It's do or die now.

14 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Ima do that tonight lol. I have an interview tomorrow. Let's see how this goes.. Ima try to stay optimistic, but after a dozen interviews it's like whatever. We will see.

I wish you the best tomorrow! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Hope this is the one! X=

14 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: I wish you the best tomorrow! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Hope this is the one! X=

It went well and they want to hire me I guess when I get my cosmetology license in the mail...This went better than my last interview on Wends for another company. I ruined that interview before I even walked through the door smh. A person almost hit me driving a truck and I yelled out "what the *heck* are you doing?" So there was this man walking in front of me, and we just happened to walk into the same building and he turned around and said "Are you here to interview with so and so" FML I thought to myself. I interviewed with the manager still, but I know that I lost that job. Lesson learned from this: Never fuss someone out on the way to the interview lol. You never know who is around!

14 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: It went well and they want to hire me I guess when I get my cosmetology license in the mail...This went better than my last interview on Wends for another company. I ruined that interview before I even walked through the door smh. A person almost hit me driving a truck and I yelled out "what the *heck* are you doing?" So there was this man walking in front of me, and we just happened to walk into the same building and he turned around and said "Are you here to interview with so and so" FML I thought to myself. I interviewed with the manager still, but I know that I lost that job. Lesson learned from this: Never fuss someone out on the way to the interview lol. You never know who is around!

Sounds good! That Wednesday interview sounds tough lol. In your defense, he should have been a more cautious and courteous driver. I've had so many hits and near misses it's not even funny. Trying to pull out a soft answer to turn away wrath is difficult indeed.

14 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: It went well and they want to hire me I guess when I get my cosmetology license in the mail...This went better than my last interview on Wends for another company. I ruined that interview before I even walked through the door smh. A person almost hit me driving a truck and I yelled out "what the *heck* are you doing?" So there was this man walking in front of me, and we just happened to walk into the same building and he turned around and said "Are you here to interview with so and so" FML I thought to myself. I interviewed with the manager still, but I know that I lost that job. Lesson learned from this: Never fuss someone out on the way to the interview lol. You never know who is around!

Great news...congratulations! :) And your story will be a lesson to me to behave myself...you never know who might be around! *)

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

14 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: It went well and they want to hire me I guess when I get my cosmetology license in the mail...

Hey Gone--way to go!!! Congratulations :)

Joe Gagill in New York, New York

14 months ago

Long time ago my sis got her cosmetology lic. She would cut my hair and was sooooooooo slow doing it! That's how they all are in the beginning.

She never used her cosmetology lic professionally.

Good Luck!

14 months ago

Joe Gagill in New York, New York said: Long time ago my sis got her cosmetology lic. She would cut my hair and was sooooooooo slow doing it! That's how they all are in the beginning.

Good Luck!

Well I figured I would use it since I paid for it and these days it can bring more money than my college degree. I have never worked in a shop so I am nervous, but the manager said she believed in my ability and they have excellent training programs. It is a chain salon so I am not sure how I feel about working in a business heavily driven by retail quotas and commission. But I guess I am up for the challenge. I have to start somewhere. Still kinda nervous though :/

14 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: Hey Gone--way to go!!! Congratulations :)

Thank you. I hope they don't change their minds though :/ They need me to get my license in the mail first so I am trying to do it asap.

14 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Thank you. I hope they don't change their minds though :/ They need me to get my license in the mail first so I am trying to do it asap.

I used to spend a ton of money at the salon on my hair. This was a few years back before getting laid off due to outsourcing...I used to tip well too. I know there are folks out there that still will lay big bucks for someone to get their hair perfect. I hope you will be fortunate to get good clientele.

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

14 months ago

Joe Gagill in New York, New York said: Long time ago my sis got her cosmetology lic. She would cut my hair and was sooooooooo slow doing it! That's how they all are in the beginning.

Good Luck!

I didn't know that your sister was also my sister-in-law. She did the same thing. Went to school for it and did well in school. Only hair she ever did was her family. She never got a job in it and I don't know why. Maybe she lacked confidence. She worked at a job cleaning hotel rooms for barely over minimum wage. Tell me that makes sense when she was divorced and had 6 six to feed. She never would try to better herself and get a better job for a number of years.

What's funny is that she had nice hair for a while, now she has the crappiest looking hair around. Bad haircut, always looks like she just rolled out of bed and worst looking dye job. I think everyone is afraid to tell her how bad it really looks.

Calfornian in Hayward, California

14 months ago

I've been thinking about interviewing and I think it's like an episode of Seinfeld, "it's about nothing". So many behavioral questions, tests, etc. And you never really get down to the nitty gritty of the job.

under paid in Denver, Colorado

14 months ago

I once had a phone interview with a lady who just radiated bad attitude. I never heard back from her so I called her to follow up, but she never returned my calls. Finally I was able to get a hold of her and she was so rude to me that I ended up complaining to her supervisor about her.

under paid in Denver, Colorado

14 months ago

The company was ADT.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

14 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: I used to spend a ton of money at the salon on my hair. This was a few years back before getting laid off due to outsourcing...I used to tip well too. I know there are folks out there that still will lay big bucks for someone to get their hair perfect. I hope you will be fortunate to get good clientele.

If you think you can "trust" me I'll cut and style your hair. And in return, I'll "trust" you by giving me my close shave in the morning.

BTW I only do my shaving in the jacuzzi every morning, so bring your towel because I don't plan on having any clean ones that day.

14 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: If you think you can "trust" me I'll cut and style your hair. And in return, I'll "trust" you by giving me my close shave in the morning.

BTW I only do my shaving in the jacuzzi every morning, so bring your towel because I don't plan on having any clean ones that day.

Sure I can trust you...but I thought men never wanted their women to cut off their hair. Do you like short hair?

NeedEmploymentInATL in Atlanta, Georgia

14 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: I am getting so sick and tired of employers acting like you owe hem the world in interviews. If you don't kiss their tails during the process..forget the job. They also judge you by your looks. If you are Black and walk into an all non-black job..forget the job, you aint getting it..and don't let your hair be non-relaxed or in its natural textured state smh.

I absolutely agree!!! I am a Black woman and I wear my hair natural and I know for a fact that these companies prefer to hire people who look like them which is discrimination. That is why it is so important that we have other means of generating income, yet I'm not business saavy. I too am so tired and pretty much ruled out being hired by these all white coporations...especially and unless I'm not willing to put a wig on it lol; but I remain hopeful that at some point I will land an income generating opportunity. We are truly living in unfair, sick times that smh. Keep me posted because I was just in NC last month until the governor cut my unemployment off and I had no opportunity for 1 tier. Utterly ridiculous!!

14 months ago

NeedEmploymentInATL in Atlanta, Georgia said: I absolutely agree!!! I am a Black woman and I wear my hair natural and I know for a fact that these companies prefer to hire people who look like them which is discrimination. That is why it is so important that we have other means of generating income, yet I'm not business saavy. I too am so tired and pretty much ruled out being hired by these all white coporations...especially and unless I'm not willing to put a wig on it lol; but I remain hopeful that at some point I will land an income generating opportunity. We are truly living in unfair, sick times that smh. Keep me posted because I was just in NC last month until the governor cut my unemployment off and I had no opportunity for 1 tier. Utterly ridiculous!!

you don't even need to show them your hair, just show them your name and all bets are off lol. i know some companies that google your address just to see what part of town you live on... and not for commute reasons.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.