Had a great interview, no word back, job off the company's site...now what?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 72)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Confusist in Paoli, Pennsylvania said: I had an interview now two weeks ago with a large company. The interview went great, got the tour, the manager liked me, was told I'l be called, she gave me her card in case I had questions, etc. I reached out to her at the end of the week after the interview (3 days later) and then again last Friday, just to show I was persistent and interested. I also called the recruiter to see what was going on, no answer. Now, the job has been taken off the site since tonight, I'm kinda glad but really confused. I know I'm over-thinking this, right? I have NOT gotten a rejection letter yet, if I was calling and they weren't interested in me they'd send one most likely to get off their back, right? I just hate the waiting game for an answer of some kind. Throw me a bone here!

Put a 30 day time limit on the "Waiting Game". Regardless of the story or how great you felt the interview went or what they said to you before you left, you got nothing. Keep applying.

If you are not the candidate they want, most of the time, you won't hear back from them.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

48 months ago

Confusist in Paoli, Pennsylvania said: I had an interview now two weeks ago with a large company. The interview went great, got the tour, the manager liked me, was told I'l be called, she gave me her card in case I had questions, etc. I reached out to her at the end of the week after the interview (3 days later) and then again last Friday, just to show I was persistent and interested. I also called the recruiter to see what was going on, no answer.
Now leave it alone. No more "reaching out." The employer will call you if it wants you. Keep looking in the meantime.

It means absolutely nothing if the employer pulled the job announcement. It simply doesn't. The only meaningful thing is a job offer. Even then, employers rescind offers. Thus, the only truly meaningful thing is reporting on your start date, filling out I-9 and W-4 forms, being shown your desk and actually working.

Interesting that the previous two posts received "no's." Obviously Parafreegal and Bluetea didn't post what the OP wanted to hear. Neither have I, I'm sure, so I'll probably earn a "no" as well. Whatever. it's the truth.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: Now leave it alone. No more "reaching out." The employer will call you if it wants you. Keep looking in the meantime.

It means absolutely nothing if the employer pulled the job announcement. It simply doesn't. The only meaningful thing is a job offer. Even then, employers rescind offers. Thus, the only truly meaningful thing is reporting on your start date, filling out I-9 and W-4 forms, being shown your desk and actually working.

Interesting that the previous two posts received "no's." Obviously Parafreegal and Bluetea didn't post what the OP wanted to hear. Neither have I, I'm sure, so I'll probably earn a "no" as well. Whatever. it's the truth.

Many people just want to hear what they want to hear.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Oh, certainly. I had a number of jobs. With few exceptions I was hired on the spot or no longer than a few days after the interview. Not hearing anything after a few days was a sure sign I did not get the job.

I give it longer now because it's hard to accept being rejected, but I don't stop looking. I hope they'll call but life goes on. My life goes on.

Reply - Report abuse

Confusist in Paoli, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

I'm not hearing what I want to hear. I'm asking for insight, nothing else. And all of your comments have been very helpful. Unemployed Paralegal, I checked the "yes" column, not the "no"...seriously, chill out. Thanks for all the input.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Oh, I'm so chilled out I'm freezing!

But when the truth draws "nos" it means it's not what some people want to hear. Good luck with your job search.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Oh, I'm so chilled out I'm freezing!

But when the truth draws "nos" it means it's not what some people want to hear and who ever hit "no" needs to be called out. Good luck with your job search.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Thank you, you too. I think it just all comes down to HR etiquette, in most cases- they have none!

Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

48 months ago

I'm very rude with telemarketers. I literally slam the phone on them and I get beat up for it. "Look, I'm not going to buy anything they could possible offer me, they're on commission, the sooner they make the next call the better, for all concerned."

Some people don't want to be the guy who says No.

Oh, and maybe you are choice number 2 or 3 and they're working their way down to you.

Keep looking until you sign, and even once employed, you'd be well-served to not leave the market.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: I'm very rude with telemarketers.
That alone makes you my friend.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I just think standards should be upheld for HR professionals, especially at gigantic companies. I am rude with telemarketers too but I have empathy, I only get rude when I've politely said "no" after the first pitch.

Maybe HR pros have that sick type of personality that likes to say "no", I can understand that. But we're human, not robots, we have feelings and lives and bills to pay. It's frustrating especially in the job market we have today. I might just take a civil service test and throw my life away, might as well! Oh wait, they're probably not hiring either!

:rant over:

Good luck to all of you, it's tough out there.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I've heard that theory. HR "pros" enjoy the power and authority of being kingmakers.

I have little empathy for these people. At one time HR was astute. It could recognize potential and find room for a candidate who had it, even if the candidate was not a 100 percent match for a job in question. Now HR simply fits square pegs into square holes. If a candidate is not a precise match, his/her resume is sh!tcanned. My (very bright) 18-year-old nephew could do that job.

Reply - Report abuse

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario

48 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: I've heard that theory. HR "pros" enjoy the power and authority of being kingmakers.

I have little empathy for these people. At one time HR was astute. It could recognize potential and find room for a candidate who had it, even if the candidate was not a 100 percent match for a job in question. Now HR simply fits square pegs into square holes. If a candidate is not a precise match, his/her resume is sh!tcanned. My (very bright) 18-year-old nephew could do that job.

I try and read things from an HR perspective sometimes to give me a rounded outlook. I always read a lot of whining about them being too busy to reply back and let the candidate know. Which is obviously a load of bull.

I think a lot of these recruiters and hr people are just young and inexperienced. They're hired b/c they're cheap, not necessarily b/c they know what they're doing.

All this crap you read about 'cultural fit trumping qualifications' and 'the best candidate' .....people seem to forget that a lot of this stuff is NOT measurable. Its all subjective and based on how much these hr/recruiters like you.

Its a broken system and it will come to a head at some point.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Another common refrain is that all the candidates are qualified and have equal experiences, how do we differentiate?

.....so then it comes down to nitpicking, who was the most 'likeable' who was TOO likeable, this person has one month of experience in this sector, this persons network is bigger etc.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: Its a broken system and it will come to a head at some point.
I should live so long.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I'm actually excited for it lol. Then the roles will be reversed and WE can be picky.

I just love that these companies with their processes and procedures and standards, mission statements etc. can't seem to grasp the simple logic that the people you treat badly are also your potential customers and one day perhaps your client. People have long memories.

I don't care that it's an employers market and they can do whatever they want. They can't in reality, they're screwing themselves in the most basic way.

I keep reading about improving the candidates experience, so there are some smart HR folks out there but they're few and far between. I think placing all the blame on HR is unfair too sometimes, a lot of times this goes back to upper management.

Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

48 months ago

One attorney in our office hired his secretary because she had red hair - like his wife.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: I'm actually excited for it lol. Then the roles will be reversed and WE can be picky.

I just love that these companies with their processes and procedures and standards, mission statements etc. can't seem to grasp the simple logic that the people you treat badly are also your potential customers and one day perhaps your client. People have long memories.

I keep reading about improving the candidates experience, so there are some smart HR folks out there but they're few and far between. I think placing all the blame on HR is unfair too sometimes, a lot of times this goes back to upper management.

I agree. HR is usually the only face of the corporation that we see and hence they become the target albeit a misplaced one.

It is really the CEOs who consider employees as liabilities and variable expenses who should be blamed. HR carries out orders - they don't give them.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: I've heard that theory. HR "pros" enjoy the power and authority of being kingmakers.

You're just saying that because you are unemployed. LOL!

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: Another common refrain is that all the candidates are qualified and have equal experiences, how do we differentiate?

.....so then it comes down to nitpicking, who was the most 'likeable' who was TOO likeable, this person has one month of experience in this sector, this persons network is bigger etc.

And that last one? What was her name? What was that fragrance that she was wearing? Smelled like a urinal freshner and stunk up the entire floor for 3 days. Yeah, we want to call her back for a 2nd interview.

Reply - Report abuse

Frank DeFilippi in New Hampshire

48 months ago

Its the hurry up and wait game, I've been there myself. They may have taken the job off there website because of many reasons, such as they didn't get any canidates that met there qualifications and need to rewrite it and repost it

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: You're just saying that because you are unemployed.
Not at all. You would remember from back in the day. HR was different. It often went out of its way to bring in candidates who were "projects," even if they met only some of the quals.

Now, as I wrote above, HR need only match resumes to requirements. It's even easier with computers. Just run keywords. Then run weighted requirements, including working cheap. An intern could do the job.

Reply - Report abuse

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

48 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: I'm actually excited for it lol. Then the roles will be reversed and WE can be picky.

I don't care that it's an employers market and they can do whatever they want. They can't in reality, they're screwing themselves in the most basic way.

They don't care what rejected candidates think. And the market hit a new high today right in the face of an ongoing jobs problem. There's a clear disconnect.

Reply - Report abuse

Marloo in La La Land

48 months ago

Job pulled and no response likely means they are pursuing someone else. You haven't got a "get lost" email yet because you're being kept for back-up if person #1 (or #2 and #3) rejects THEIR offer. Thats if you even get any reply from them ever again, which is also highly unlikely.

If this is your first rodeo, giddy up and hold on, the people replying have been through this dozens of times.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: It is really the CEOs who consider employees as liabilities and variable expenses who should be blamed. HR carries out orders - they don't give them.
Yes. The suits conjure up quals, real or perceived. HR are the order fillers. They run to the stockroom of resumes and pull out the correct-sized bolt, lockwasher and nut. Something like working in a hardware store or electronics parts house.

It matters not if the bolt, lockwasher and nut are forged steel, which costs more but would hold up longer and not strip, cross-thread or lose its hex sides if you take a crescent wrench to it. It only matters if it's cheap.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: Not at all. You would remember from back in the day. HR was different. It often went out of its way to bring in candidates who were "projects," even if they met only some of the quals.

Now, as I wrote above, HR need only match resumes to requirements. It's even easier with computers. Just run keywords. Then run weighted requirements, including working cheap. An intern could do the job.

In my day, it was called Personnel but you were a person back then.

Some places now refer to it as Talent Acquisition. Every time I read this it makes me want to bring my accordian to the next interview. I do a pretty good rendition of Polka, Polka, Polka.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: They don't care what rejected candidates think. And the market hit a new high today right in the face of an ongoing jobs problem. There's a clear disconnect.

Thats not the point.

They are doing themselves a clear disservice by not caring, it has long reaching affects and can potential hurt their bottom line and their companies reputation, not to mention the specific individuals inside the companies who might one day be on the receiving end of interviewing with someone they screwed. They're being simplistic morons.

I actually read an anecdote about someone who had a bad interviewing experience...years later the lady who interviewed him, happens to get her resume on his desk, what does he do? Tosses it in the trash.

Its a small world. I guess my point is that karma is a b*tch.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: They are doing themselves a clear disservice by not caring, it has long reaching affects and can potential hurt their bottom line and their companies reputation, not to mention the specific individuals inside the companies who might one day be on the receiving end of interviewing with someone they screwed. They're being simplistic morons.
Agreed. But they don't care. I second your karma argument, but, for them, it's not persuasive.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: In my day, it was called Personnel but you were a person back then.
Yeah. I hadn't thought of it that way.
Bluetea in Texas said: Some places now refer to it as Talent Acquisition.
It's the "People Department" at Southwest Airlines. But SWA is a great company.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I suppose that's what happens when you treat people like commodities and not like human beings.

I think we'll be hearing a lot about this in the years to come.

In the meantime, I think I should go into recruitment (seems like they're always busy and will take anyone.)

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: Thats not the point.

They are doing themselves a clear disservice by not caring, it has long reaching affects and can potential hurt their bottom line and their companies reputation, not to mention the specific individuals inside the companies who might one day be on the receiving end of interviewing with someone they screwed. They're being simplistic morons.

I actually read an anecdote about someone who had a bad interviewing experience...years later the lady who interviewed him, happens to get her resume on his desk, what does he do? Tosses it in the trash.

My point is that employers across the board are acting like this. I've been treated like garbage by MANY and possibly most of the places where I've interviewed. I assume many others have as well. What about all the people rejected who don't receive notice?

The thought that this will have some sort of effect is funny to me, and I've been on the receiving end. What about all the companies using Taleo?

Employers. Don't. Care.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: Thats not the point.

You're just saying that because you are unemployed. LOL!

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: My point is that employers across the board are acting like this. I've been treated like garbage by MANY and possibly most of the places where I've interviewed. I assume many others have as well. What about all the people rejected who don't receive notice?

The thought that this will have some sort of effect is funny to me, and I've been on the receiving end. What about all the companies using Taleo?

Employers. Don't. Care.

I agree. Many people have not been affected by The Great Recession and are either oblivious or are totally unconcerned.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

If it really mattered and bad karma was supposedly coming back to employers as a result of what they've done to applicants, then why, oh why, did the market hit a new high today. One has to think the 30 companies in the Dow have rejected hundreds of thousands of people over the last five years. With that much bad karma, they should be doing terribly. But no.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: If it really mattered and bad karma was supposedly coming back to employers as a result of what they've done to applicants, then why, oh why, did the market hit a new high today. One has to think the 30 companies in the Dow have rejected hundreds of thousands of people over the last five years. With that much bad karma, they should be doing terribly. But no.

There is actually very little connection today between the stock market and the job market. I say this because I was in the brokerage field for 15 years.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Marloo in La La Land said: Job pulled and no response likely means they are pursuing someone else. You haven't got a "get lost" email yet because you're being kept for back-up if person #1 (or #2 and #3) rejects THEIR offer. Thats if you even get any reply from them ever again, which is also highly unlikely.

If this is your first rodeo, giddy up and hold on, the people replying have been through this dozens of times.

This is not my first rodeo per se, but I've been unemployed for almost a year and this job was PERFECT and everything matched up. Which is why I'm just so frustrated. The recruiter's email bounced back too, which I forgot to mention, maybe she was canned? LOL. Or maybe she's blocking my emails? LOL again...time to fill out some more applications and be treated as a robot...fun.

Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

48 months ago

I had a recruiter block my email once. (When I was being harassed by by an administrator, who told the recruiter I was fired - and a lot more). If an email is blocked, it usually comes back to you and says blocked. Call her on the phone.

As for the interview, you say you had a great interview. The Interviewer is saying she did a good job of interviewing (snowballing the interviered person).

If you have been unemployed for a year, that says a lot about the job market. They're making it sound like people are creating their own reasons for being unemployed.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

48 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: If you have been unemployed for a year, that says a lot about the job market. They're making it sound like people are creating their own reasons for being unemployed.

Yea baby, you tell them. I'm starting to really love liberals.

(I hope your doing well Mary with the self employment court job.)

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I had a recruiter block my email once. (When I was being harassed by by an administrator, who told the recruiter I was fired - and a lot more). If an email is blocked, it usually comes back to you and says blocked. Call her on the phone.

As for the interview, you say you had a great interview. The Interviewer is saying she did a good job of interviewing (snowballing the interviered person).

If you have been unemployed for a year, that says a lot about the job market. They're making it sound like people are creating their own reasons for being unemployed.

I LOVE me some liberals!!

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: If it really mattered and bad karma was supposedly coming back to employers as a result of what they've done to applicants, then why, oh why, did the market hit a new high today. One has to think the 30 companies in the Dow have rejected hundreds of thousands of people over the last five years. With that much bad karma, they should be doing terribly. But no.

I'm not talking about right this second. I'm talking about the future. There's a difference.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Theres also a reason Taleo and applicant tracking systems are in place, it all comes full circle.

1. People who are receiving unemployment benefits need to apply and prove they're trying. So they might not necessarily be targeting companies and industries. They might be applying just to show they're doing something.
2. People shot gun blasting resumes anywhere and everywhere, which serves nobody and increases the amount of applicants received and increases the 'need' for tracking systems.

Taleo is in place to 'help' HR reduce the number of applications and remove as much bulk as possible. It's not that they don't care (a lot of HR folks hate the systems), its that, with the amount of people applying organizations rightly or wrongly feel the need to implement these systems.

They're in place b/c of a variety of factors, including people who spamming resumes.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: I'm not talking about right this second. I'm talking about the future. There's a difference.

The job market has been bad for five years, so I'd think we'd have seen the effect of this karma by now. Exactly how far behind does this karma lag the bad job market? Hmm?

Sorry, if there were any of this so called karma, then companies would be crippled right now. They're decidedly not.

I think this ends any discussion about bad karma coming back to employers.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: The job market has been bad for five years, so I'd think we'd have seen the effect of this karma by now. Exactly how far behind does this karma lag the bad job market? Hmm?

Sorry, if there were any of this so called karma, then companies would be crippled right now. They're decidedly not.

I think this ends any discussion about bad karma coming back to employers.

Actually it doesn't b/c you're thinking short term. I'm not. I didn't have an intended date in mind. It was a general comment on the way things are and the consequences. There will be consequences.

Good day.

Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

48 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: Theres also a reason Taleo and applicant tracking systems are in place, it all comes full circle.

1. People who are receiving unemployment benefits need to apply and prove they're trying. So they might not necessarily be targeting companies and industries. They might be applying just to show they're doing something.
2. People shot gun blasting resumes anywhere and everywhere, which serves nobody and increases the amount of applicants received and increases the 'need' for tracking systems.

Taleo is in place to 'help' HR reduce the number of applications and remove as much bulk as possible. It's not that they don't care (a lot of HR folks hate the systems), its that, with the amount of people applying organizations rightly or wrongly feel the need to implement these systems.

They're in place b/c of a variety of factors, including people who spamming resumes.

Actually, you missed another reason people shotgun resumes: resume software.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: Actually it doesn't b/c you're thinking short term. I'm not. I didn't have an intended date in mind. It was a general comment on the way things are and the consequences. There will be consequences.

Good day.

So 20 years from now this will be in full effect and these companies will have had this bad karma come back at them and cripple them? When will the 700 places that have either rejected me or, mostly, not responded to me be going belly up due to this bad karma?

This is a ridiculous assertion. People move on and forget. They get over things. This so called "bad karma" will have zero effect.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Actually, you missed another reason people shotgun resumes: resume software.

When the average job candidate has to send out, on average, 500 resumes to get one job and a company gets 500 applications for one position, the only way to manage this is with software. The whole thing becomes a number's game and a marketing blitz.

We just had an opening for a part-time box office cashier where I work. They had over 300 applications. Even if 290 of them were not qualified, a computer is going to initially make that decision not a person.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

That's fine, but resumes are being screened for more than just matching experience and skill, obviously.

There just aren't enough jobs, and these screening systems only make it even harder to get one. When people have to beg, snivel and grovel for a measly minimum wage retail job when they have years of experience and obvious skills, it's a problem. It's a huge problem. And it's not going away, it seems.

Reply - Report abuse

Marloo in La La Land

48 months ago

Cheshire we're in the same area and should chat. I've had over 20 interviews in the past 8 months and nothing.... Over qualified, under qualified, they hire nobody, they hire people that will work for peanuts, they hire someone and they are gone a month later (linkedin checks). I've even sent resumes to other provinces but they think you're just going to head back to Ontario after 8 or so months.

Its truly ridiculous!

Would love to pick your brain and see what you're coming up with

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: So 20 years from now this will be in full effect and these companies will have had this bad karma come back at them and cripple them? When will the 700 places that have either rejected me or, mostly, not responded to me be going belly up due to this bad karma?

This is a ridiculous assertion. People move on and forget. They get over things. This so called "bad karma" will have zero effect.

You're taking my comments to the extreme. Read what I wrote again...or wait don't bother b/c I'm ove rit. Why don't you take your own assertion and forget and move on if you don't agree.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Marloo in La La Land said: Cheshire we're in the same area and should chat. I've had over 20 interviews in the past 8 months and nothing.... Over qualified, under qualified, they hire nobody, they hire people that will work for peanuts, they hire someone and they are gone a month later (linkedin checks). I've even sent resumes to other provinces but they think you're just going to head back to Ontario after 8 or so months.

Its truly ridiculous!

Would love to pick your brain and see what you're coming up with

Hey Marloo, I'm up for chatting, too bad this place doesn't have private messaging, do you have an email?...I don't even count how many interviews I've had anymore. It's beyond ridiculous.

I'm tired of analyzing them, I've put them out of my mind. I thought there had to be something I was doing that was putting these people off....but I tracked the interview conclusions for the first bunch and I keep reminding myself that more than half these results had very little to do with me. I hate coming to that conclusion b/c I feel its a cop out in a way (maybe I've just been brainwashed by the career advice provided by the employed - 'its obviously something you're doing!' 'you suck at interviewing!') but when the feedback is that 'you're too upbeat' ....or that the position has been put on hold, or they dont know the specifics of the role, or what they're looking for, then wtf do you do? HOW is that my fault?! What do I do?

This particular feedback is amusing to me b/c I asked why the last person in the role wasn't there anymore and they told me that she wasn't enthusiastic about the role and duties and had a negative attitude.....someone want to try to make sense of that? I sure as hell don't get it.

Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.