Has anyone here ever used proveit.com

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 135)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Anonymously in in Orange, California

65 months ago

These kinds of tests (especially the long form) should only be given towards the later stages of the hiring process. Considering how many apps are even looked (much less processed for interviews) it's a perversion the the process to force someone to spend an additional 3+ hours. I don't dispute the validity of the test, just this case's application. You should be guaranteed an interview with a passing grade.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

60 months ago

Ray in Candiac, Quebec said: I agree with you that some knowledge are necessary. If they told you they were expert,and you needed Excel expert, you should have a test to verify that. There is also something else to consider. If the behavior is what you are looking for, if their initiative is there, a one-day refresh on Excel worth it, but they had to tell you in the first place. Personally, I prefer having the behavior skills and send somebody willing to increase her/his Excel skills for a one or two-day Excel training.

At my last job, if you said you were an expert in Excel or Whiz Bang 3000 and the position required it, they would give you a test on it, rignt on site. Most people failed it.

On another note, I had once applied for a part-time admin position. Its was an online app and took about an hour.

Near the end, it told me that I now had to complete a Personality Assessment Test which would take "approximately 60 minutes". Buh bye!

Reply - Report abuse

shandycat in Norcross, Georgia

60 months ago

My issue with these tests is that Kenexa uses versions of MSOffice that I haven't seen (or used) in a very long time. I have been using Excel, Word, and PowerPoint for YEARS and I'm skilled enough to figure out what to do/where to go to get the task completed; however it may not be on the first click. The issue I have with these tests is that they ask you to do something that I've done a hundred times before, but then the question SPECIFICALLY tells you not to do it that way. Huh? Why not? Why do I have to learn a completely different way of accomplishing the SAME EXACT THING? I've never had to do it a different way, so how am I supposed to know the specific "different" way they want it? And honestly, once you've done the tests, why can't there be a repository for your results so you don't have to waste three hours doing them for EVERY agency you register with? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Reply - Report abuse

emkay in Portland, Maine

59 months ago

Hotdiggity in Pickering, Ontario said: Nice attitude.. you're fired.

I'm sure I quit last week... But seriously, I'm sorry that you struggle with separating (potential) good employees from bad. Maybe the more qualified candidates researched your organization and decided not to apply.

Reply - Report abuse

danhouston in Houston, Texas

57 months ago

shandycat in Norcross, Georgia said: My issue with these tests is that Kenexa uses versions of MSOffice that I haven't seen (or used) in a very long time. I have been using Excel, Word, and PowerPoint for YEARS and I'm skilled enough to figure out what to do/where to go to get the task completed; however it may not be on the first click. The issue I have with these tests is that they ask you to do something that I've done a hundred times before, but then the question SPECIFICALLY tells you not to do it that way. Huh? Why not? Why do I have to learn a completely different way of accomplishing the SAME EXACT THING? I've never had to do it a different way, so how am I supposed to know the specific "different" way they want it? And honestly, once you've done the tests, why can't there be a repository for your results so you don't have to waste three hours doing them for EVERY agency you register with? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

You would think so. Why take tests over and over if they are the same. Why not give you a certificate number that you can get verified for completion..

Now to your question about certain way to do something. Well I guess this way they can assess if they can sell you some training solution etc. I worked for a firm once that used these results to up sell training to corporate clients.

Reply - Report abuse

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

DanHouston in Houston, Texas said: Try supercandidate.com.

Based on the name and on the behavior I've experienced, I'm sure it's requisite for ALL HR Departments, hiring managers and recruiters to use that site as their Bible. What in the living ****? Who came up with that name? Is it real?

Reply - Report abuse

Sandpoint

57 months ago

I took this testing format today. I found it to be in very poor format. The letter response is a short email and you send a letter back. You are told the two items to make clear in the return. It took me all of less then four minutes to do something allowing 30 minutes. Then when you submit a box comes up making you second guess if something else is going to occur in that 30 minutes and if you "really" want to submit or not. Weird....the Excel....OMG
I know Excel, I am pre Windows, back to DOS. The test is not interactive, it does not indicate if it took your answer or not, it just gives two options in an auto box "repeat question/next question"...whatever you do, DON'T hit the Enter key accidentally, you go to the next question and can't go back. If you know Excel you know there are more then one way to get to the result...not in ProveIt...you must be a monkey with their key strokes and I ended up with a 40 in something I know well. I would hope they see that I did well in the functions, macros, pivot tables, etc, which you don't just stumble into in Excel, you have to KNOW excel to do advanced features. I think ProveIt should have multiple options to the end result and should let you do the work, regardless of how you got to it, and that be graded, not the keystrokes.

Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

57 months ago

I'm one of the more technically certified people you will ever not meet. It's kind of a hobby with me.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to design a valid test. I've seen completely screwball tests where you could barely figure out what they were asking (the old Microsoft tests used to be this way but the new ones are actually pretty fair in my opinion) to completely dumb questions (pick 3 out of 4, the 4th answer being "None of the above", to brutally hard stuff (choose all that apply when there are 8+ possible answers) and totally BS stuff where questions are purposely written to mislead you.

Anyways, I wouldn't trust a test by any recruiter or place like proveit, nor, would I take one. The vendor's stuff is pretty bad so I can't imagine them getting it right. I keep saying this but I think all of you Excel/Word guys should do the certification and put it behind you. I've looked at it, it's really not that hard and it "should" help make these kinds of questions go away on interviews.

And for the record, I've never done any of the Office stuff. I've looked at it, and maybe some day, but for now it's at least 3 steps from the top of the list.

Reply - Report abuse

mike1233 in Ohio

56 months ago

I had a co-op job 10 years ago out of high school, during the interview the guy asked how I was with Excel, I said I could do it but wasn't an expert. I figured this was a somewhat honest answer as I had used it a bit in class but never in a work setting. Well, let me re-iterate, I sucked at it.

I got the job and since it was admin based it revolved around excel. What I WAS proficient at was using google to find out how to find out how to do specific excel tasks and thats what I did, but you can only get away with that for so long. One time he was looking over my shoulder and asked me to quickly do something (whatever it was) and I took the long way around doing it. The guy just about had a bird right then and there. "OMG thats not how you do that!" Then ran straight to the big boss and ratted me out for saying I knew how to use excel in the interview.

I got called into there a couple days later and was told I needed to learn how to use it. I bought the excel books and learned. Between that, and using it everyday I became very good at it but the problem is I havent used it since and have pretty much forgotten how to use it.

Word and Powerpoint I can use blindfolded, but that excel is just terrible because you simple DO NOT want to learn it. At least in my case anyway...

Regarding that job I never much cared about what they thought, why would a co-op kid be an excel expert working for peanuts anyway?

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

56 months ago

Mike1233 in Ohio said: I had a co-op job 10 years ago out of high school, during the interview the guy asked how I was with Excel, I said I could do it but wasn't an expert. I figured this was a somewhat honest answer as I had used it a bit in class but never in a work setting. Well, let me re-iterate, I sucked at it.

I got the job and since it was admin based it revolved around excel. What I WAS proficient at was using google to find out how to find out how to do specific excel tasks and thats what I did, but you can only get away with that for so long. One time he was looking over my shoulder and asked me to quickly do something (whatever it was) and I took the long way around doing it. The guy just about had a bird right then and there. "OMG thats not how you do that!" Then ran straight to the big boss and ratted me out for saying I knew how to use excel in the interview.

I got called into there a couple days later and was told I needed to learn how to use it. I bought the excel books and learned. Between that, and using it everyday I became very good at it but the problem is I havent used it since and have pretty much forgotten how to use it.

Word and Powerpoint I can use blindfolded, but that excel is just terrible because you simple DO NOT want to learn it. At least in my case anyway...

Regarding that job I never much cared about what they thought, why would a co-op kid be an excel expert working for peanuts anyway?

At my last job, people who said they were "Good with Excel" were given a test prior to being hired 80% of everyone who took it couldn't pass it. Heh!

Thank god, all I did with Excel was make the lunch schedule. I was given a typing test which I passed.

Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Mike1233 in Ohio said: I got the job and since it was admin based it revolved around excel. What I WAS proficient at was using google to find out how to find out how to do specific excel tasks and thats what I did, but you can only get away with that for so long.

But, why is this so wrong? Every major piece of software has a manual online. You have places like stackoverflow which specialize in answering tech questions. Some software, like PHP, have exceptional online resources. It's why they are there.

Yet, you roll into an interview, and some wanker thinks you need to know the specific syntax to do something. I've had guys do this who I have not the slightest doubt, went on the internet prior to the round of interviews and researched the question I was supposed to know the answer too off the top of my head.

Anyone, who has worked in tech, relies on online resources. Especially the support guys who get tasked with supporting, sometimes a couple of dozen different things.

[quote]Between that, and using it everyday I became very good at it but the problem is I havent used it since and have pretty much forgotten how to use it.

I disagree. No, I emphatically, disagree. You haven't forgotten it. What you've forgotten are shortcuts, keywords, and the like. Plus, you don't know new features, and Excel completely changed the UI recently. But you can get back on the wagon and start using it again no problem. Heck, you still have Google, just for that purpose.

The idea that you forget everything is bogus. You just don't retain the meaningless stuff like what the F3 key does. Who cares! If you can look up a pivot table, figure it out, and roll one out on demand, then everyone should be happy, even if you have to Google it.

Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

[quote]Test

Test

[quote]Test 1

This is still a test.

Reply - Report abuse

mike1233 in Ohio

56 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: At my last job, people who said they were "Good with Excel" were given a test prior to being hired 80% of everyone who took it couldn't pass it. Heh!

Thank god, all I did with Excel was make the lunch schedule. I was given a typing test which I passed.

LOL from what I've noticed everyone says they are good, but there's only a couple people in most offices that truly know how to use all of its features. If you are forced to learn it (like I was) there's no better way than being thrown into it.

Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

One more test.

[quote]This is a quote.

This is some stuff.

[quote]This is another quote.

This is some more stuff.

Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Bollux!

I've been blaming myself for not quoting posts correctly and it's these bozos and their piss poor home grown software. It can't handle a second quote.

Reply - Report abuse

jack in Fort Washington, Maryland

55 months ago

Jen in Orange, California said: Do the tutorials before jumping into the test. The tutorials have the exact same questions and functions they want you to perform in the test.

Where can the tutorials be found

Reply - Report abuse

Analystpro in Greenville, South Carolina

54 months ago

I found a video online for the 30 question Excel test and the 30 question Access test. If you have a second computer, you should run the video on that computer as you take the test.

Of course if you don't really know either program, it is silly to try to fool them.

I happened to know both programs, but I didn't want to leave ANYTHING to chance. Then when I got to the actual face to face interview they made me take another Access test right there in person. I passed it and went on to the final interview but did not get the job.

They claimed to have given the position to an internal candidate.

Reply - Report abuse

Carole in Boulder, Colorado

53 months ago

Wow, thanks everyone. I have never heard of ProveIt before. I'm a tech writer and I can't imagine anyone in my profession would dare say that they are an expert at something when they are not - deadlines can be fierce! I am applying for a job and the recruiter is going to have me take a skills test on ProveIt, maybe in HTML - not sure. But as any tw knows, tools are only one part of writing; there is so much more you need to know how to do well. Also, as with any tools, the more you use them, the better you get. But employers who have not worked with writers sometimes have no clue what writers do, so they look for someone who knows the tool some doofus has chosen as the authoring software. *sigh*

Reply - Report abuse

Shelly in Jackson, Michigan

53 months ago

Just used proveit for the first time today. IDK if the employer just picked easy tests but it wasn't that bad really. 45min-an hour for the test, computer literacy was a breeze, and scored overall 90% with the average showing something like 75-80%. If this helps me get a job, ProveIt has my blessing

Reply - Report abuse

Joanne Shull in Derry, New Hampshire

53 months ago

Only bummer in taking these tests is using short-cut keys. I am also from DOS era, with no problems in using/not using mouse; just found it quicker to keep typing. ProveIt sees errors in short cuts.

Reply - Report abuse

MeToo in Newark, New Jersey

52 months ago

I went to an agency and they gave me a word test with 50 questions and Excel with 55. Went back later as I had tested on 2003 and was not familiar with 2007 or 2010 and they gave me test with 30 questions each which makes a great difference.

The good thing is the place I tested at the man gave me a copy of my questions. People are intimidated with excel but learn it on your own it will make your life easier. Just don't let anyone in the office know you can use it LOL

Reply - Report abuse

MeToo in Newark, New Jersey

52 months ago

Remember you cannot use short cuts so this test is not really a good measure of your capabilities. At work most employers want you to be fast and efficient.

Reply - Report abuse

Any in Edwardsville, Illinois

52 months ago

Just took the 30 question normal excel test. It was extremely easy stuff, formatting cells, creating a pivot table, etc. However, it does make you select their "click sequence", and that is very frustrating. When doing the pivot, it wouldn't let me drag the rows/values into the lower boxes, you actually have to select the checkbox. When I tried dragging the item, it gave me the redo/move on box, when I clicked redo it resets to the original screen and you have to redo all the clicks in the order they want, again a little frustrating.

The questions were pretty easy - "increase font to 20", "put outside border around the data", "right align the text", "sum the quarterly revenue", "average the quarterly revenue", "insert a row/column", "copy/paste the selected cell", etc.

What I have an issue with is not having the freedom to utilize the full program, but I guess I can understand that somewhat because I'm sure it takes a lot of java coding to create the test. Also, I have an issue because I am applying for a low paid temp position, and being an "expert" is a silly requirement. (trying to use a nice work like silly)

I am currently baffled in my job search - as I search for jobs I come across postings such as B.S. requirement and 4 years of experience for a position that pays less than 30K annually. I can't believe companies think they have the option to pay highly skilled workers an administrative salary, but I guess that's the world we live in now - supply and demand, and way too many people are looking for work and lying about their skills. This makes it hard for people who actually have skills to stand out when employers are getting 500+ resumes for an open position. So to conclude, a thirty question test to ensure I have simple excel skills isn't too bad, even if the test makes simple excel tasks very complicated. However, I would tell the agency to shove it for a 3+ hour exam, and for a low paying temp job....... ridiculous.

Reply - Report abuse

rodeney123@*****.*** in Toronto, Ontario

50 months ago

catlover in Houston, Texas said: I did this assessment/test last night and it took 3.5 hours. It consisted of 55 questions for powerpoint, 55 for excel and 55 for Word and then a 3 minute timed typing test. It gives you your score as soon as you are finished.

I just can't imagine most people wanting to spend this much time taking a test for clerical work (30 minute test I can understand and I've done before).

Plus the first half of the questions are kind of basic things but the second half are really elaborate functions of that function (i.e. how do you create a formula to change the number 10 to 5 only if column B is 5 -- stuff like that -- stuff that NOBODY would ever want). I consider myself pretty proficient in these software packages and think it didn't really reflect my skill sets because when I am working on something I may click here and if that doesn't work I click something else. But these tests you only have one click opportunity. And this is all for probably a 14-15/ hr job. Most secretaries I have worked around in my life don't know 10 percent of these skills.

Proveit pre-screening questions are vaguely directed at corporate policy- only decided by Human Resources and the Labor Ministry. Drug testing should not be allowed under constitutional rights, locker inspection is break and enter questionable, opinion on other people's conduct is security related. Hey, I was only applying for a forklift operator job not Corporate Administration! Opinions should be noted, not challenged unless there is a comments section attached. The only truly cut and dry answers to any question is science specific - chemistry, biology, etc. One safety question asked about blocked egress yet the testing room's exit was partially blocked by a fan and advertisement. In summary, I think the Proveit questionnaire is somewhat out of date and should be upgraded.

Reply - Report abuse

STS in Brooklyn, New York

50 months ago

Hey guys, I am surprised that anyone would seriously consider that test as a valid method of filtering candidates.
Take a SQL and C# test and half of the questions was either not related to the topic or was so misleading that even MSDN would not recognized what they want to ask.
Copied few questions and answers for SQL and according to EXCEL remove duplicate - answers was exactly the same. Basically any answer you choose will be the wrong one!
In C# section the have questions from PHP and C++!
What kind of BS is that?
By the way Kenexa is one of the leading jobs data storage's in US. I would strongly recommend them to stick to their business and stay away from testing people skills. Or at lest hire someone from fields to develop tests, people who knows what they doing.

Reply - Report abuse

kdavidii in Phoenix, Arizona

49 months ago

catlover in Houston, Texas said: I did this assessment/test last night and it took 3.5 hours. It consisted of 55 questions for powerpoint, 55 for excel and 55 for Word and then a 3 minute timed typing test. It gives you your score as soon as you are finished.

I just can't imagine most people wanting to spend this much time taking a test for clerical work (30 minute test I can understand and I've done before).

Plus the first half of the questions are kind of basic things but the second half are really elaborate functions of that function (i.e. how do you create a formula to change the number 10 to 5 only if column B is 5 -- stuff like that -- stuff that NOBODY would ever want). I consider myself pretty proficient in these software packages and think it didn't really reflect my skill sets because when I am working on something I may click here and if that doesn't work I click something else. But these tests you only have one click opportunity. And this is all for probably a 14-15/ hr job. Most secretaries I have worked around in my life don't know 10 percent of these skills.

I just took an excel, and I missed three, they asked to retake it, so I studied a bit saw I might have made an error retook the test and missed the same. At this point I had an "88", but they wanted a "90" and I wanted a "100", because I knew I was right and the test was wrong. So I was asked to take it again, I know I'm going to get the same three or similar questions on macros, VLOOKUP, and COUNTIF, so I go to my Excel bible and double check, just to be on the safe side.
So I took the test again, missed the same three, the moral of my story is there are two ways to do things, the right way or whatever way this stupid is using to grade us.

Reply - Report abuse

Jarrod in Frostburg, Maryland

49 months ago

I am trying to take this test however, the pop-up has nothing. I had to go down to the library to take the first one but, I could not take the second one due to security issues with the page. Can any one give me a hand. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled java. When I click the " test browser settings" button it gives me a green light to go everything is read to go. I seriously need to do this.

Reply - Report abuse

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

49 months ago

DanHouston in Houston, Texas said: Hit the nail on the head. Most people never use the vast majority of a software. This is why it is nice to have a simple testing structure, one where you can take away questions you know will not be used for the job. Unfortunately most companies will not because they have to play to get them removed - extra cost -. Go to supercandidate.com that is what I would say but then as you are doing the test to get a job, you really are not going to be able to ask for that are you : )

I second that "hit the nail on the head" remark. Software changes so fast. It seems as If a test of basic knowledge + a personality test for curiosity and persistence would yield the best result.

Also, to whomever went on a rant about testing procedures using old software. I ran into that with unemployment. Their online training program used a version of Dreamweaver that was over 10 years old! I have that 10 year old software. It ran well on Windows 95. I know it is supposed to behave differently but have forgotten how it behaves on those older Operating Systems and I don't care. I run it on new systems. It's still good for coding. I squeeze out whatever life software has left it in everytime I update an Operating System. Anyway, if you were to answer specific questions about panels correctly, the real answer would have been, "no longer any of the above".

Have some respect for the Third World American approach!

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

49 months ago

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York said: I second that "hit the nail on the head" remark. Software changes so fast. It seems as If a test of basic knowledge + a personality test for curiosity and persistence would yield the best result.

Also, to whomever went on a rant about testing procedures using old software. I ran into that with unemployment. Their online training program used a version of Dreamweaver that was over 10 years old! I have that 10 year old software. It ran well on Windows 95. I know it is supposed to behave differently but have forgotten how it behaves on those older Operating Systems and I don't care. I run it on new systems. It's still good for coding. I squeeze out whatever life software has left it in everytime I update an Operating System. Anyway, if you were to answer specific questions about panels correctly, the real answer would have been, "no longer any of the above".

Have some respect for the Third World American approach!

Every time, they upgrade to a new operating system, I have to go out and buy all new software. I guess that's how it works though. LOL!

Reply - Report abuse

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

49 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Every time, they upgrade to a new operating system, I have to go out and buy all new software. I guess that's how it works though. LOL!

I always try my old software on newer systems. The Dreamweaver that ran on Win 95 is still good to use for coding on Windows 7. And amazingly, Adobe PhotoElements, which I had been using pre Win 95, still completely works on Windows 7.

Reply - Report abuse

merrillmchenrycfa in Toronto, Ontario

46 months ago

Took ProveIt advanced Excel today and CAN NOT BELIEVE HOW POOR AND UN-REAL WORLD A PRODUCT IBM (of all software co's!) makes. It asks for erroneous bunk -
Example 1 I complained to them about: It is completely incredulous you ask one to create a circular reference by selecting the cell I am in to add to another - and having the program not allow me to get out of that cell to avoid creating a circular reference. Tell me, even if the (lame) question JUST wants you to use the control key being held down (WHICH YOU KNOW I OBVIOUSLY KNEW BECAUSE I SAID IT WAS THE SOLUTION BEFORE YOU SPOKE) why can't I move to another cell so I am not ERRONEOUSLY (for most real world uses) creating a circular reference? It would be more logical - AND EXCEL REAL WORLD - to select 2 cells without CREATING A circular reference. Or just allow it for those who know better.

Example 2:I have never known ANYONE who went about using absolute references without using the "F4" key to accurately set it. YET NONE OF SEVERAL OF YOUR QUESTIONS WOULD ALLOW IT. WHY NOT? IT'S COMPLETELY UN-REAL WORLD TO NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE F4 KEY FOR ABSOLUTE REFERENCES.

Example 3: It asks you to program yet causes the following NEEDLESS, AND UNREAL WORLD PROBLEMS:
A.) Won't let you scroll down, or cell select down the rows to know what the last data field is! Incredulously needless.
B.) When you use formula wizard and hit enter it NEEDLESSLY won't show you the formula (never mind if the function works - to which I ask "what real world setting would NOT allow you to check something??") it just goes STRAIGHT TO 'are you done with question?"! I mean, why can I JUST see the formula on the formula bar (even if I un-real world like can't even see the output)?? Come on, why can't I just see the formula?

IBM should be embarrassed - not to mention liable for adversely and through gross negligence making such unrealistic testing. Complete BUNK.

Reply - Report abuse

praveen in Singapore, Singapore

46 months ago

Jarrod in Frostburg, Maryland said: I am trying to take this test however, the pop-up has nothing. I had to go down to the library to take the first one but, I could not take the second one due to security issues with the page. Can any one give me a hand. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled java . When I click the " test browser settings" button it gives me a green light to go everything is read to go. I seriously need to do this.

Hi did you manage to take java test? could you please help with questions? how the test is?

Reply - Report abuse

calikat131 in Laguna Woods, California

45 months ago

just took a 115 question test for a theater manager job...jumped from standard multiple choice personality to extremely technical math problems to HR/management "grey responses" multiple choice.....my question to myself is why I would want to work for a company that uses this as a qualifier???????????

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

calikat131 in Laguna Woods, California said: just took a 115 question test for a theater manager job...jumped from standard multiple choice personality to extremely technical math problems to HR/management "grey responses" multiple choice.....my question to myself is why I would want to work for a company that uses this as a qualifier???????????

115 questions? Why would you even bother at all?

Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Because I really want the job, I really NEED the job, and if I didn't, there are plenty of others willing to do it. It wasn't so much answering 115 questions as the level of business math for the job and answers to HR questions that I didn't feel there were standout right and wrong answers. This has been a very different work search this time around....while the days of "help wanted" window signage has been long gone, this time has been really frustrating with no human contacts,too much SEO keyword ridiculousness, etc...anyway, I'm just rolling with the changes and making the best/most of it. Meanwhile, the bills pile up.

Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Anonymously in in Orange, California said: These kinds of tests (especially the long form) should only be given towards the later stages of the hiring process. Considering how many apps are even looked (much less processed for interviews) it's a perversion the the process to force someone to spend an additional 3+ hours. I don't dispute the validity of the test, just this case's application. You should be guaranteed an interview with a passing grade.

AGREED!

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

calikat131 in Laguna Woods, California said: Because I really want the job, I really NEED the job, and if I didn't, there are plenty of others willing to do it. It wasn't so much answering 115 questions as the level of business math for the job and answers to HR questions that I didn't feel there were standout right and wrong answers. This has been a very different work search this time around....while the days of "help wanted" window signage has been long gone, this time has been really frustrating with no human contacts,too much SEO keyword ridiculousness, etc...anyway, I'm just rolling with the changes and making the best/most of it. Meanwhile, the bills pile up.

The question was rhetorical. Taleo, personality tests, bloated job requirements are all designed to limit the horde of applicants.

Doesn't matter how many people apply, there is only one job.

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Memphis, Tennessee

45 months ago

They use ProveIt for Robert Half and send you the ProveIt tests even though they have no jobs for you. It's pretty stupid.

Reply - Report abuse

EndlessJoy in Atlanta, Georgia

45 months ago

Whoa! I just thinking about taking the ProveIt Excel this weekend. I think it will be well worth it.

Reply - Report abuse

Agent Zero in Antelope, California

45 months ago

Jen in Orange, California said: Do the tutorials before jumping into the test. The tutorials have the exact same questions and functions they want you to perform in the test.

ProveIt is the BEST assessment tool for any Recruiter!!

Reply - Report abuse

Agent Zero in Antelope, California

45 months ago

Anonymous in Memphis, Tennessee said: They use ProveIt for Robert Half and send you the ProveIt tests even though they have no jobs for you. It's pretty stupid.

The reason some staffing agencies send the assessments out to job seekers is so they have their scores in their systems and can match the job seeker up to a position that comes in a bit better, rather than just going by the Resume. What I disagree with, and have been let go because of my disbelief in this, is when an agency has a requirement to send assessments for skills that the job seeker may not have. If I interview someone and they have never used Power Point, I'm not sending them a Power Point assessment. But beware, some agencies will still send it because "it's what they've always done," or "because it's part of the process." Again, I don't agree with it 100%, but I do agree with sending the assessments that are warranted.

Reply - Report abuse

calikat131 in Tustin, California

45 months ago

Hi Jen: wish I had had that option...it was part of an application/submission process that launched without much warning, but with a warning when I tried to get out that I may not have another chance to complete later...for a well-known theater chain...oh well, at this point, it is what it is...your suggestion is something to remember if I have to do another and have the tutorial opportunity. Thanks!

Reply - Report abuse

untmdsprt in Shawnee, Kansas

45 months ago

I had been overseas for four years teaching English when I had to come back to the states since my visa was expiring. My main skills are in accounting and was trying to get back into the field. Every recruiter or employer whined that I didn't have experience to which they later had to add "current" when I called them out on it or then whined I haven't kept my skills up to date.

Much to my amusement (sarcasm), recruiters kept giving me old versions of Excel to test on while I was studying to take the 2010 expert level certification. I had told them I was at an intermediate to advanced level, yet they kept giving me the basic tests.

Now I just take their tests and don't put much into it. I think the recruiters are just going by the numbers to help weed out potential employees.

Reply - Report abuse

ldybird in Oakland, California

44 months ago

Increasingly important skill, now employer's demand reports that include pertinent in formation of performance departmental, functionality, financials, etc. Test the ability to produce flash reports, Pivotal tables. Tables simplify capture the information. Problem is most haven't used such complex tables, until now. I learned tables in Excel class, but it hadn't been necessary, not proficient in using, which I regret!

Reply - Report abuse

lea5039 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

Hey everyone,
I hope no one asked this already, but what happens when you take these exams on a Mac? Do you still get the Windows/PC version in a web browser or do you need to use the Mac version that you own?
All of my experience has been on a PC, but I now own a Mac and it's the only computer I have access to. I don't know if I should learn the Mac version or if the test will be presented online in the PC version.

Thanks!

Reply - Report abuse

Annie Mous in Shawnee, Kansas

44 months ago

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio said: I've seen a number of "I lied on my resume, do you think they'll find out?" posts on this forum.

So what do you recruiters do when the candidate hasn't lied and has passed all your tests? Do you actually find jobs for them or give them the sad excuse that their skills don't match up perfectly for the jobs that come in?

These tests also will pigeon hole people into a job category that's probably beneath them. I keep getting calls for basic data entry that have nothing to do with accounting, and the recruiter is wondering why I won't accept it.

Reply - Report abuse

averagehrguy in Minnesota

44 months ago

Annie Mous in Shawnee, Kansas said: So what do you recruiters do when the candidate hasn't lied and has passed all your tests? Do you actually find jobs for them or give them the sad excuse that their skills don't match up perfectly for the jobs that come in?

These tests also will pigeon hole people into a job category that's probably beneath them. I keep getting calls for basic data entry that have nothing to do with accounting, and the recruiter is wondering why I won't accept it.

If you tell the agency that you are only interested in accounting positions, they have a way to flag it in their system so you don't show up for anything but those type of positions. Did they have you take any tests beyond MS Office and typing?

Reply - Report abuse

averagehrguy in Minnesota

44 months ago

Annie Mous in Shawnee, Kansas said: A few of them did give me the general accounting, AP and AR tests which I did score 80% or above. The recruiter told me that I scored higher than their average which is sad since I actually haven't had to think about any of those in years.

Still hasn't done any good since I haven't heard back from anyone. :(

I'm glad they at least gave appropriate testing. However, that's disappointing that they still try and put you in jobs you're not interested in. There are some recruiters out there that are looking for a quick fill instead of the right fill... a problem that comes about when a company reaches out to 4-5 different agencies and basically tells them "whoever gets me someone first wins".

When I was with an agency, I almost always would work with companies that we were the only agency, because I was able to develop a relationship with them, figure out what type of candidate works best, and be able to spend my time finding the right match.

I wish I could help you find a better agency. It seems that for every good one out there, there's a bad one.

Reply - Report abuse

Joann in Berthoud, Colorado

35 months ago

emkay in Portland, Maine said: I'm sure I quit last week... But seriously, I'm sorry that you struggle with separating (potential) good employees from bad. Maybe the more qualified candidates researched your organization and decided not to apply.

These days employees feel compelled to lie about their qualifications because they figure they can figure it out on the job. Jobs are now asking for skill levels that are extremely high and many people are not prepared. Employers no longer train and do expect you to know it all coming in yet they are rarely retained for long. There is a fundamental problem with this. No one can learn it all. Every job you take only offers the opportunity to do certain types of things and then you may not touch that again for a long time. Employers need to keep employees and by not doing so are creating big problems because people don't have the time to learn. There also needs to be an expectation of mentorship from experienced employees to raise up, on the job, the skill levels of younger employees coming in.

Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

35 months ago

Joann in Berthoud, Colorado said: These days employees feel compelled to lie about their qualifications because they figure they can figure it out on the job. Jobs are now asking for skill levels that are extremely high and many people are not prepared. Employers no longer train and do expect you to know it all coming in yet they are rarely retained for long. There is a fundamental problem with this. No one can learn it all. Every job you take only offers the opportunity to do certain types of things and then you may not touch that again for a long time. Employers need to keep employees and by not doing so are creating big problems because people don't have the time to learn. There also needs to be an expectation of mentorship from experienced employees to raise up, on the job, the skill levels of younger employees coming in.

There is a big problem with this. As you say, employers are expecting a much wider range of skillsets and a much deeper level of knowledge but the only way that one acquires this is by moving every few years; no longevity.

I have been in discussions where an applicant can tick off all the boxes but then the company is "concerned" that the applicant is a job hopper? You can't have it both ways.

Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.