Hiring Manager didn't asked about salary expectation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

kitty in Kirkland, Washington

30 months ago

Have you ever encountered this situation? I applied for a job ad with very brief job description and very general job function instead of official title. I was interviewed couple weeks ago and then being asked to come back for 2nd round.

The hiring manager never asked any question about my current salary or salary expectation or share her salary range. I am interested in the job and the company is quite sizeable but not well known of being generous.

I know i can bring this salary question up later but just wondering why she isn't that care much about how much do i want? I interviewed other places, the salary question is always the must talk about subject even during the phone interivew.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

If you don't have to fill out a paper or electronic application before an interview, then there's a decent chance that salary isn't broached in the interview. Frankly, the only occasions on which I've been asked about salary are in ads that ask for it up front (I very rarely respond to these) and said applications. It otherwise isn't broached. I've had a good amount of interviews that had no application to complete beforehand, and at none of them has salary been discussed. But, then again, I've obviously not gotten hired either. So there's that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kitty in Kirkland, Washington

30 months ago

I think i got so confused because all my previous and current jobs were lined up by recruiting firms. This means the salary range was discussed before i came in for any interview.

This is the first time i applied to the company directly. I was asked to fill in an application with salary expectation. However i skipped that question as i didn't feel have a strong feeling the 1st interview went great.

Anyway, i believe i can find out their pay range very soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

kitty in Kirkland, Washington said: I think i got so confused because all my previous and current jobs were lined up by recruiting firms. This means the salary range was discussed before i came in for any interview.

This is the first time i applied to the company directly. I was asked to fill in an application with salary expectation. However i skipped that question as i didn't feel have a strong feeling the 1st interview went great.

Anyway, i believe i can find out their pay range very soon.

Most companies want to know your price tag up front now and they get that information from the online application. You are then compared not only to the market rate but to the rest of the applicant pool itself.

If its a large company, understand that the system will kick out about 95% of all the apps. Only about 5% are actually passed on to a real person - if it makes it through all the hoops.

I have been hired not because I was their first choice but because I was the low bidder. Price is always a factor in this market.

kitty in Seattle, Washington

30 months ago

well, did go to the final round interview and being asked about my salary expectation. I asked what was their pay range, the hiring manager said he didn't know and need to check (??). Finally i was forced to tell him what i am currently making, which seemed to be high for him as he preferred someone with less experience (this was weird he didn't say that during 1st round)

I didn't get the job obvsioulsy lost to other candidate who is lower bidder.

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

kitty in Seattle, Washington said: well, did go to the final round interview and being asked about my salary expectation. I asked what was their pay range, the hiring manager said he didn't know and need to check (??). Finally i was forced to tell him what i am currently making, which seemed to be high for him as he preferred someone with less experience (this was weird he didn't say that during 1st round)

I didn't get the job obvsioulsy lost to other candidate who is lower bidder.

When I was with the bank, they had a silent policy of NOT hiring bank tellers with TOO MUCH experience because they wanted TOO MUCH money.

They preferred tellers with some experience but not TOO MUCH. Course, they would never publically say this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kitty in Seattle, Washington

30 months ago

I really started to realize the hiring managers in this market are not only picky on qualification but also want to pay less. I start to feel very hard to switch job but worried if i don't i will make myself seems unmotivated.

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

kitty in Seattle, Washington said: I really started to realize the hiring managers in this market are not only picky on qualification but also want to pay less. I start to feel very hard to switch job but worried if i don't i will make myself seems unmotivated.

Sometimes peaches are 99 cents a pound and sometimes they are $2.99 a pound. Labor is the same way. Supply and Demand.

If you have a job, yeah, ask for the traditional 15-20% increase. If you don't have a job, try dropping your price. You don't have to take the job - you just want to know if you get more "bites" this way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.