ISO: I have had a few interviews. I send a follow up. I hear nothing. I sometimes see the job posted again. In the interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

tgpii in Chicago, Illinois

7 months ago

ISO: I have had a few interviews. I send a follow up. I hear nothing. I sometimes see the job posted again. In the interview I was told I would hear either way but hear nothing. Is this the new norm?

Does anyone know of a good site that has to date current Early Childhood, Preschool, Director, or Related Field jobs? A site were you/I don't have to log in to use. No forms or applications to fill out. Just send your already made resume? Thank You and Happy Spring.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

wouldloveajob in Merrillville, Indiana

7 months ago

hate to say but yes. I am going through same thing. What I have learned is that you accept it, say " screw it" to self, and consider moving on to other roles, other jobs ( even it means thinking outside your comfort zone) hang it there, maybe one day it will happen

Reply - Report abuse

Slightly Confused Here in Emmaus, Pennsylvania

6 months ago

I have been through that too. One time in particular, I had what I thought was a very good interview (following a written exercise, which I found a bit offputting but did well on). The interviewer told me they would "move quickly" then the following week, I got a letter explaining that although they enjoyed meeting me, they had a larger number of more suitable candidates to move forward with. I've seen the same job re-posted a few times since then. Hmm.

Reply - Report abuse

summontheprofessional in Saint Louis, Missouri

6 months ago

Hello tgpii,

The next time you get an interview remember to ask the interviewer(s) these two questions. 1.) When will the hiring decision be made? 2.) When will the hired candidate start working? You ask the first and second question, because if the both of dates come and past, and they don't reach out to you then, you know that you are no longer being considered for the job and then you can move on and apply for other jobs. By asking these questions in the interview you will save yourself the pain and frustration of waiting too long for a response from a company that will never get back to you. You may get interviewers that don't know when they want to decide on hiring someone or having a new hire to start working, in case if they don't have an answer for either of these questions, then they don't have any plan on hiring anyone for the position they advertised.

Reply - Report abuse

2Legit in Cincinnati, Ohio

6 months ago

*If you hear nothing, assume they didn't pick you
*Yes, consider other roles- what did you go to school for/what do you want to do? Teaching? Early Childhood Teaching is different from being a director... a director requires some management ability...
*Are you dedicated to this career path, really want to do it if you can't find a full-time job, or are you ok with working part-time for a few years?
*Teachers pay teachers website

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Why do I get emails if I heard back from a company? If I say no what does indeed do? Also indeed ask if we follow up but indeed does not list a way to follow up. This is so condescending!

Reply - Report abuse

aSuburbanGal in North Chicago, Illinois

6 months ago

I've had the same thing happen to me in regards to legal-related position. I see a legal assistant or paralegal position come open, apply, interview never hear back only to see it come open again days, weeks or months later. It's quite frustrating.

In fact, I applied each and every time this one position came open at the same firm over a 12+ month period that the attorney finally gave me a courtesy interview despite the fact he had zero intentions of ever hiring me for the job. He told me during the interview that he felt bad for me and felt obligated to interview someone who was trying so hard.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

IMHO, when it comes to these types of employers you're better off NOT working for them.

When I used to work in healthcare, I kept noticing a front desk position with a chiropractor's office kept coming open every 3-5 months. I kept applying and hoping for an interview, but never got one each time I applied. Finally, after the 6th or so try I got scheduled for an interview. During the interview the chiropractors, a husband and wife, told me that they wanted to hire someone long-term. When I asked them why the same job kept coming open every 3-5 months for the past 2+ years they told me that the people they ended up hiring usually ended up leaving for a better job opportunity (there was only one exception and it was because the person was moving out of state). I told them that they didn't have to worry about that with me because I wanted the job stability that would come along with the job should they hire me. Well, I didn't get hired but I did see the job come open again 3 or so months later.

This past December I ended up answering an ad for a legal assistant position with a traffic attorney who also does some criminal defense. When I went to interview with the attorney, the office manager told me he really liked me and was excited to meet with me. As I waited for the attorney to return from the courthouse, she was telling me they had problems over the past 5 or so years with employees who weren't very dependable. That they'd like to be able to rely on the people they hire instead of going through person after person they way they had been for the past few years so when I interviewed with the attorney I mentioned we had spoken about this as I waited for him and assured him that wasn't going to be a problem with me. (He had already read all of my reference letters so he knew I was a very dependable person and someone he could really rely on like he wanted.)

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Well, as with was the case with the chiropractor's office, I wasn't hired for the job and, sure enough, a month and a half to 2 months later the traffic attorney is reposting the exact same job. This time on Craigslist and it read word for word as the last ad on the other site I saw it on.

I find that the people who interview for these jobs tend to be awful judgments of character. They say they want one thing in employees only to get the exact opposite time and time again. They want long-term and always end up hiring people who stay a few months. They want dependable people they can rely on only to end up always hiring people who are totally undependable and can't be relied upon when push comes to shove. They wouldn't know a truly good candidate is in front of them even if someone smacked them in the face. Is this the type of employer or person you really want to work for?

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Also, I once ended up working for an internist for a couple of moths before he let me go to replace me with a nurse at the direction of the hospital he was affiliated with. Anyhow, he initially liked me and wanted to hire me but went with another candidate who had the same qualifications, skills and experience I did but who he felt was slightly better than me. Well, she ended up being a horrible worker who did very little work so he fired her and then turned around and called me to ask me if I was still interested. I said yes so I started right away and ended up being 10 times better than the last one he hired. He was impressed and really liked me so he hated to have to let me go. Well, as much as I was happy to be called after he left is first choice go, I'd never put myself in that position again. If an employer really likes me but doesn't want to hire me the first time, then why should I bother accepting a position when their first choice doesn't end up working out for whatever reason? Had he hired me initially then he quickly would've learned what type of a good worker I was and he could've forgone all that BS he went through with the last one. Not to mention all the wasted time, money and effort by hiring her simply because she was slightly better than me.

On the surface many of the people look good to the employer but are ultimately flawed in the end. They fail to meet employer expectations yet still somehow manage to come out with jobs that the rest of us want, really need and could really use because we're the candidate the employer really SHOULD be hiring yet isn't hiring. I just don't get it.

Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

In today's world of job hunting (begging) and PCs a few things made be dying
Are career objectives/statements and job fairs R. I. P.? People sponsoring or producing the job fair tell you to bring several copies of you're resume. However all the potential employers at a job fair say apply online.

Why do potential employers have you upload you're resume. Then tell you to fill out and application. Then still ask you questions you're resume and application already answered?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

geggff in San Francisco, California

5 months ago

tgpii in Chicago, Illinois said: In today's world of job hunting (begging) and PCs a few things made be dying
Are career objectives/statements and job fairs R. I. P.? People sponsoring or producing the job fair tell you to bring several copies of you're resume. However all the potential employers at a job fair say apply online.

Why do potential employers have you upload you're resume. Then tell you to fill out and application. Then still ask you questions you're resume and application already answered?

i think it was posted on indeed before, the job fair people, is to generate traffic for thier websites, advertisements. I have seen jobs being reposted, after you applied for it, which i find kinda insulting, because they do not want you, yet they still want to hire someone, when they have no one.
@subarban gal, I was wondering if they never met the person face to face they can never judge how good a worker is to an employer. Its most likely the recruiter/manager never "even looked at the resume" just merely skimmed her resume, and it has a little more experienc or skill set than you. respnding to the post above yours, it seems recruiters choices are very biased, they will choose you based on your LOOKS, connections with the company, completely disregarding the qualification processes. if they look at 2 person in an interview, both have similar qualification, yet he/she choose the "better looking one" to be hired, only to find out that looks hide thier true nature, a terrible worker. The better looking someone is, the more likely they are very bad workers, because good-looking people tend to have things handed down to them with little effort, so they dont even try for certain things like jobs. It happens to often.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

summontheprofessional in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Hello tgpii,

The next time you get an interview remember to ask the interviewer(s) these two questions. 1.) When will the hiring decision be made? 2.) When will the hired candidate start working? You ask the first and second question, because if the both of dates come and past, and they don't reach out to you then, you know that you are no longer being considered for the job and then you can move on and apply for other jobs. By asking these questions in the interview you will save yourself the pain and frustration of waiting too long for a response from a company that will never get back to you. You may get interviewers that don't know when they want to decide on hiring someone or having a new hire to start working, in case if they don't have an answer for either of these questions, then they don't have any plan on hiring anyone for the position they advertised.

I always ask that. If I don't hear anything after a week I usually assume, it is DOA!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.