If I'm so 'impressive' how come I can't get an interview?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 54)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Mitch R. in North Olmsted, Ohio

49 months ago

If you haven't already tried this, get more aggressive. Sending a resume and cover letter is the least effective way to get a position. There are often hundreds if not thousands of applicants for positions in this economy so you have to talk to someone. It's like a game. If you really think you're a fit, find a way to contact either the HR person assigned to the position or the hiring manager if possible. When I see a position I really want, I try my hardest to not just apply but talk to someone. You have to stand out. Again, not saying you're not doing this already, just a suggestion if you're not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

ResumeGuy in Boise, Idaho

48 months ago

The biggest problem here is the competition. There are so many applicants for every position it is really hard to stand out among the crowded resumes in the stack. One of the best ways to stand out is to focus your resume on results and impact. Focus not so much on what you did every day as much as what you did generated some kind of specific results. Employers are looking for solutions to their problems. Help them see how you have solved similar problems in the past with other employers and they will assume you know how to solve there's too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Derek in Toronto, Ontario

40 months ago

you guys aren`t going to like this, but I was recently asked at my work, to look over a bunch of resumes, and after reading maybe the first 10, I just started to skim through (there was over 200). Everybody had basically the same resumes, and it was impossible to tell them apart, so in the end, what made a resume stand out to me over the others, were the few people who put personal interests on their resume. I`d look at the personal interests first, and the technical stuff second. Most people didn`t have personal interests, and so I just skipped em.
Just letting you know.
P.S. the things I was looking for in the interest section was sports, hockey, and such, I wanted to find some people who could possibly be on our company teams,
in my opinion, personalizing your resume is the only way it will get noticed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

Will

40 months ago

Derek in Toronto, Ontario said: you guys aren`t going to like this, but I was recently asked at my work, to look over a bunch of resumes, and after reading maybe the first 10, I just started to skim through (there was over 200). Everybody had basically the same resumes, and it was impossible to tell them apart, so in the end, what made a resume stand out to me over the others, were the few people who put personal interests on their resume. I`d look at the personal interests first, and the technical stuff second. Most people didn`t have personal interests, and so I just skipped em.
Just letting you know.
P.S. the things I was looking for in the interest section was sports, hockey, and such, I wanted to find some people who could possibly be on our company teams,

Derek, interesting concept. I am assuming you work at a mid to small sized company? Most big companies utilize electronic scanners that scan each resume for keywords and then forward the top results to the hiring official for them to actually read. It's been my experience that when applying for nationwide or large companies it is extremely unprofessional to put personal interests on a resume. As one HR guy jokingly told me, when people do that you can't tell if it's a resume or their looking for a date on match.com. Anyways just my two cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in San Francisco, California

40 months ago

Derek is absolutely right on. I changed up my resume maybe a half a year ago, and added more things (including my interests, hobbies...as well as expanding my resume to include greater details about what I did in college, etc.)...after the change up, I received 5x more calls than I did before. Some people tell you to keep your resume to one page and keep it short, but I disagree with that concept. I feel it's best to list everything you can list and include everything that makes you stand out from other people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

40 months ago

What if the personal interests have nothing to do with the job? Then I feel that's a waste of time putting it on there. Do employers really need to know that I like to cook, see live music and try microbrews? They might think I'm anti-social because I like to bike, hike, read books and do artwork. None of those require other people to join you. Employers tend to pre-judge people unfortunately. You just can't win no matter what you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sighing in Southern, New Jersey

40 months ago

anonymous in San Francisco, California said: Derek is absolutely right on. I changed up my resume maybe a half a year ago, and added more things (including my interests, hobbies...as well as expanding my resume to include greater details about what I did in college, etc.)...after the change up, I received 5x more calls than I did before. Some people tell you to keep your resume to one page and keep it short, but I disagree with that concept. I feel it's best to list everything you can list and include everything that makes you stand out from other people.

I am going to try this, and see what happens. At this point, what have I got to lose? But, I was always taught not to have a resume over a page....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sighing in Southern, New Jersey

40 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: What if the personal interests have nothing to do with the job? Then I feel that's a waste of time putting it on there. Do employers really need to know that I like to cook, see live music and try microbrews? They might think I'm anti-social because I like to bike, hike, read books and do artwork. None of those require other people to join you. Employers tend to pre-judge people unfortunately. You just can't win no matter what you do.

I don't know anymore, either. I had a fantastic interview a couple of weeks ago, and I don't know what more I could have done (or what more I can do in future interviews). I feel like we need a crystal ball to see what these employers want!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

anonymous in San Francisco, California said: Derek is absolutely right on. I changed up my resume maybe a half a year ago, and added more things (including my interests, hobbies...as well as expanding my resume to include greater details about what I did in college, etc.)...after the change up, I received 5x more calls than I did before. Some people tell you to keep your resume to one page and keep it short, but I disagree with that concept. I feel it's best to list everything you can list and include everything that makes you stand out from other people.

I don't care if my call center experience goes back 25 years. I have it on my resume to prove to prospective employers that I have had the experience in them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Nyxalinth in Denver, Colorado said: Most of my background is in office support and call centers. I have 6 years office experience and 4 and a half years in customer service. I recently applied online to several call centers here in Denver, sending a resume and a cover letter. I have neither too much nor too little experience, I don't ask for too much money if salary requirements are listed, and my skills match up nicely.

However, I either go completely ignored or receive 'while your qaulifications are impressive, we've decided to go with other candidates' messages.

What is the truth behind the doublespeak here? My last interview was 3 weeks ago, and out of 100 resumes I send out, I get maybe five interviews.

The same thing has happened. You're not alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Sorry about that. The same thing has happened to me, so you're not alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Human Resources Professional in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

"Impressive" is a standard term to offset the fact that you fell short during some aspect of the screening / interviewing process.

Advice: Don't harp on the rejection, focus on the next opportunity... but, do learn and grow from it.

- The HR Professional

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

31 months ago

that "no resume over a page" rule is outdated...that's what I've been told, anyway. In the age of the electronic submission, there is no "page" anyway. Also with the electronic scanners, you actually want your resume to be as long as possible, because it increases the chances of you using a keyword that the program is looking for. Just a theory, but it makes sense to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Derek in Toronto, Ontario said: you guys aren`t going to like this, but I was recently asked at my work, to look over a bunch of resumes, and after reading maybe the first 10, I just started to skim through (there was over 200). Everybody had basically the same resumes, and it was impossible to tell them apart, so in the end, what made a resume stand out to me over the others, were the few people who put personal interests on their resume. I`d look at the personal interests first, and the technical stuff second. Most people didn`t have personal interests, and so I just skipped em.
Just letting you know.

It's terrifying that someone as unqualified as you was tasked with having to review core competencies and skill sets on resumes... and chose Personal Interests as a deciding factor.

Oh, the tragedy of business!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: that "no resume over a page" rule is outdated...that's what I've been told, anyway. In the age of the electronic submission, there is no "page" anyway. Also with the electronic scanners, you actually want your resume to be as long as possible, because it increases the chances of you using a keyword that the program is looking for. Just a theory, but it makes sense to me.

If you are at the point in your career where you are an experienced manager, 1, even 2 pages, may not suffice. (But, going over 2 pages does make one a little monotonous, don't ya think?")

Better to list keywords on the first page of your resume, below your resume's initial career summary... label that section EXPERTISE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

31 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Its kinda like saying Autistic instead of mentally retarded. Sounds nice but it doesn't change a thing.

There is a big difference between being autistic and being mentally retarded. Some autistic people actually have high IQs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: that "no resume over a page" rule is outdated...that's what I've been told, anyway. In the age of the electronic submission, there is no "page" anyway. Also with the electronic scanners, you actually want your resume to be as long as possible, because it increases the chances of you using a keyword that the program is looking for. Just a theory, but it makes sense to me.

Many companies don't even accept "a resume" anymore.

Even, if you get to "cut and paste", you still have to fill in all the fields again so you know, nobody is reading the resume part anymore. That's just there to make you feel good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joshua07 in Philippines

31 months ago

Although your impressive, you also need to be aggressive. You're just applying for a job, you're not showing them that you are the one who's qualified in that job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

shonda.johnson@att.net in Birmingham, Alabama

26 months ago

arrrrrggggggh!!!! so frustrating!!!!!!

Shell1980 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

I have applied to over 59 jobs since August 2, 2012. Not sure exactly what is going on when it comes to my resume. I have over 13 years experience in administrative office work, including being an office manager. I am a military veteran of the Army. I have a bachelor degree in legal studies and an associates degree in business. I apply for jobs that ask for specific qualifications that match mine and still....no interview. I cannot even find an HR phone number to follow up about my application or resume with most of the companies. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, but I need some help. I am not even frustrated anymore, just angry. I cannot see why I am so unappealing on paper to these employers. Any advice??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sighing in southern, New Jersey

25 months ago

It is not you. The jobs are just not there, and if they are, it is so incredibly hard to get hired.

Thank you so much for your service to our country. I am so saddened that you cannot find work.

I used to think it was me. But, it is not. My problem is I do not have the right connections or my field wants more experience. I have a Master's degree and 3 years in the field, but it is not enough. But, more often than not, it is because I do not know the right people. My last job interview was for a job that is very specialized. It would take at least a year to learn the foundation of it. I have the experience, but lost out to a woman who did not have any experience. But, she had the right husband.

It is usually not possible to follow up, due to the way we send resumes now. The HR people are getting too many resumes for them to contact everyone. Even when you do get an interview, they may not even send you a rejection email or letter. I had an interview this summer where they said they would send everyone who was rejected a letter. I never heard anything. They are either overwhelmed or do not care.

The only suggestion I have is to make sure your cover letter and resume are completely free of typos, and all grammar is perfect. One typo can cause your resume to be trashed.

I wish you luck. Please know that it is not you. I have been looking since July, and have only had 3 interviews, one of which was for a temp job. There are people on here who have been looking a lot longer, and believe me, they are really intelligent and qualified.

Please take care. Feel free to join us in the "Frustrated Job Seeker's forum." We are all struggling, but it is a nice group of people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

TiredofRunningaround in Rensselaer, New York

24 months ago

It's because they can. Many places are UNPROFESSIONAL and because of the recession they can get away with treating job seekers badly. If they hire you at $10.00 an hour, how could they let "Joe Blow" with 1 more month's experience and a BA get away when he was willing to take $9.50?

These HR people, these managers, they are one pink slip away from getting fired, so they want as many feathers in their caps as possible. Chewing down job applicants is their bread and butter.

I believe there are good companies who need hard workers but they are few and far between.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

24 months ago

TiredofRunningaround in Rensselaer, New York said: Many places are UNPROFESSIONAL and because of the recession they can get away with treating job seekers badly.

I think it's a reflection of society. We are a throw away society. If we don't want it or need it we toss it right away. And so is the same with HR people, Managers, and HeadHunters.

Society has lost it's moral compass and it is clearly seen in how job seekers are treated.

Job seeking is not for the faint of heart. You have to have very thick skin.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yep in Iowa City, Iowa

24 months ago

Listing your hobbies and personal interests on a resume doesn't feel right. What I do in my free time really shouldn't be any of their business. There are days I think that job seeking is just one big game, with all the "tips and tricks" networking, the "hidden job market" infographic resumes are becoming more popular now.

Its all a game, and I think we were all tricked into thinking it was a straight forward process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Yep in Iowa City, Iowa said: Listing your hobbies and personal interests on a resume doesn't feel right. What I do in my free time really shouldn't be any of their business. There are days I think that job seeking is just one big game, with all the "tips and tricks" networking, the "hidden job market" infographic resumes are becoming more popular now.

Its all a game, and I think we were all tricked into thinking it was a straight forward process.

You should never list your hobbies or interests on a resume. Nobody cares.

bshell1980 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

24 months ago

Let us see if this works!
I emailed the governor. I explained to him the situation, sent him a copy of my resume and basically talked about the job situation in Pittsburgh because he talks about he brought so many jobs to PA, but mostly they are in Philly. I will let you know if I get a response. Fat CHANCE!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

24 months ago

Your e-mail will likely not draw a response because he gets so many, but a mailed letter and resume might.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ona in Brooklyn, New York

23 months ago

Shell1980 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I have applied to over 59 jobs since August 2, 2012. Not sure exactly what is going on when it comes to my resume. I have over 13 years experience in administrative office work, including being an office manager. I am a military veteran of the Army. I have a bachelor degree in legal studies and an associates degree in business . I apply for jobs that ask for specific qualifications that match mine and still....no interview. I cannot even find an HR phone number to follow up about my application or resume with most of the companies. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, but I need some help. I am not even frustrated anymore, just angry. I cannot see why I am so unappealing on paper to these employers. Any advice??

I have a BS in Legal Studies and an MA in Communications from the NYU. I have 15 years of corporate experience including publishing, sales, advertising and I can't even get an interview...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Yeah. I do not know what is going on. As of today, I have applied to 150 jobs since August 2nd, 2012. Ridiculous!! Last night I went on an interview at Target for a part time sales associate for nights and weekends. Good bye family...I will never see my school age son. It is a shame I have to take that job when I have a business degree and a legal studies degree and also a US veteran. This country is really just...I don't even know what to say at this point.
Anyway, I got an interview finally, but the hours are awful, but I did what I had to do. I can see that living in Pittsburgh might actually be worse than living in Carmichaels, PA. Who would have thought that?? (rhetorical) :) Good luck and let me know your thoughts.
-B

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

Maybe you heard that Wal-Mart is promising jobs to veterans. Perhaps Wal-Mart may be better than Target.

Thanks again for your service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

yeah, but you can only be as creative as the internet will allow. I have tried to follow up in person on my resumes or applications. I have tried to follow up on the phone. It is basically impossible to actually get in there the old school way and speak to a person about your potential with the company. I was offered officially a job at target yesterday for $7.75/hr

...I hate it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

bshell1980 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: It is a shame I have to take that job when I have a business degree and a legal studies degree and also a US veteran. This country is really just...I don't even know what to say at this point.

You're learning what others of us already have: that general ability, general knowledge, general intelligence, and general experience count for nothing in the job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim Cirone in Kissimmee, Florida

23 months ago

I am in same boat getting upset now atleast I have a temporary position for awhile till project ends

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Indeeder in Portland, Oregon

23 months ago

Nyxalinth in Denver, Colorado said: ...However, I either go completely ignored or receive 'while your qaulifications are impressive, we've decided to go with other candidates' messages..."

"While your qualifications are impressive..." strikes me as politic-correctness to cover all bases and not offend individuals with less-than-impressive qualifications. I wouldn't take it too personally, but it's annoying, like so many aspects of begging (uh, I mean searching) for work these days.

P.S. You misspelled qualifications above, which is maybe not so impressive! <g>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

toughtimes in Cortland, New York

23 months ago

It is certainly tough times for a lot of people out there, myself included. I just have a few comments to add. I strongly believe there are few solid techniques to job hunting since all companies and hr are different. What I do know is that we must all keep trying. Apply to anything you are 80% qualified for and definitely things you are overqualified for. I have a Masters degree and have landed a few interviews for jobs that require only a high school diploma. I got one of them though eventually turned it down for reasons I won't get into. Like so many other people all over the internet suggest, keep trying.

Also, I think we unemployed should join up on the net more productively than these random blogs. While I do find comfort in getting perspective from others who are struggling similarly to myself we could do better. How about we set up an internet site that includes blogs such as these but also offers other opportunities to help one another out like submitting resume for review, or, even better, how about we give one another leads based on our qualifications and locations. This may not be the right kind of networking since we are all out of work but we all have a lot in common and are surely empathetic to ne another so lets help each other out. Anyone want to help me build this website? UnemployedUnite.com sounds good right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

I will help you build this website!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan

23 months ago

toughtimes in Cortland, New York said: While I do find comfort in getting perspective from others who are struggling similarly to myself we could do better. How about we set up an internet site that includes blogs such as these but also offers other opportunities to help one another out like submitting resume for review, or, even better, how about we give one another leads based on our qualifications and locations. This may not be the right kind of networking since we are all out of work but we all have a lot in common and are surely empathetic to ne another so lets help each other out. Anyone want to help me build this website? UnemployedUnite.com sounds good right?

I agree. I posted something very similar to this quite a while ago, and it either got lost in the flow of endless threads or it just didn't generate much interest. That being said, I still think building a forum-based website designed for people that are specifically frustrated job seekers or anyone feeling the pain of the recession could be very helpful. They can share stories and advice, vent or even warn others after a terrible job experience with a specific employer, post resumes / cover letters for review, etc.

Either way, there's a benefit to building something like this outside of a job search site, like Indeed - if for no other reason than professional forum software is reasonably priced, supported by the vendor when issues arise, and seems to provide a far more pleasant experience for the users. Long-time contributors here at Indeed have seen full well how clunky and error prone the discussion forums are. It appears to have been built in-house, but it's also either ripe with defects or Indeed's servers can't properly handle the load. Some days, the forum is slow enough to discourage anyone from trying to post - and anyone here ever hit the "reply" button only to be sent to some "error" page and then discover that your post was forever lost? ;-)

We can do better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bailjumper in Mill Hall, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

toughtimes in Cortland, New York said: It is certainly tough times for a lot of people out there, myself included. I just have a few comments to add. I strongly believe there are few solid techniques to job hunting since all companies and hr are different. What I do know is that we must all keep trying. Apply to anything you are 80% qualified for and definitely things you are overqualified for. I have a Masters degree and have landed a few interviews for jobs that require only a high school diploma. I got one of them though eventually turned it down for reasons I won't get into. Like so many other people all over the internet suggest, keep trying.

Also, I think we unemployed should join up on the net more productively than these random blogs. While I do find comfort in getting perspective from others who are struggling similarly to myself we could do better. How about we set up an internet site that includes blogs such as these but also offers other opportunities to help one another out like submitting resume for review, or, even better, how about we give one another leads based on our qualifications and locations. This may not be the right kind of networking since we are all out of work but we all have a lot in common and are surely empathetic to ne another so lets help each other out. Anyone want to help me build this website? UnemployedUnite.com sounds good right?

I will glady assist in any way possible. I was wondering if having a multitude of people on this site would result in flooding prospective employers with resumes, and/ or flooding local, state, and federal governments with thousands of commentary to our plight. It surely would get someone to sit up and take notice.
Please send me a contact address so we can converse off this site. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BSCJ in Aiken, South Carolina

22 months ago

Human Resources Professional in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said: It's terrifying that someone as unqualified as you was tasked with having to review core competencies and skill sets on resumes... and chose Personal Interests as a deciding factor.

Oh, the tragedy of business !

Um, yeah, I almost had a heart attack when I read Dereks post. My automatic thought was, 'oh freaking fantastic! Here I am, worked my but off to get summa cum laude at college and THIS!'

I seriously need a job, I can't even get an interview and his post has really bummed me out!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Des Plaines, Illinois

22 months ago

Nyxalinth in Denver, Colorado said: Most of my background is in office support and call centers . I have 6 years office experience and 4 and a half years in customer service . I recently applied online to several call centers here in Denver, sending a resume and a cover letter. I have neither too much nor too little experience, I don't ask for too much money if salary requirements are listed, and my skills match up nicely.

However, I either go completely ignored or receive 'while your qaulifications are impressive, we've decided to go with other candidates' messages.

What is the truth behind the doublespeak here? My last interview was 3 weeks ago, and out of 100 resumes I send out, I get maybe five interviews.

Consider yourself lucky... I have applied to over 350 positions over the last year and have only received 1 face to face interview and maybe 4-5 phone interviews. I hadn't even heard back about the same position that I previously had. It's pretty discouraging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

persistant job seeker in Daytona Beach, Florida

18 months ago

Soooo, I am also trying to figure out what the situation is....One thing is, I believe all of these job posting sites are only getting our info for advertising. I have been finding out that the jobs are not even available in the first place. A number of employers are only collecting resumes on a daily basis in case their employees leave...They usually leave because the management is treating them like %$%$&^ to begin with...even to the point of being cussed out on the job..This happened to me. I think laws need to be passed and employees need to be able to evaluate the people in the management positions....The job situations, just possibly, might improve. If you really look closely to most of the jobs posted, they are the same listings on all the other sites. No wonder employers are inundated with resumes, it is because of this issue. I believe employers should be required to interview regardless....I really do not think they are.
I have changed up my resume in many different forms, one pagers to 3 pagers. It does not make any difference................

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

persistant job seeker in Daytona Beach, Florida said: Soooo, I am also trying to figure out what the situation is....One thing is, I believe all of these job posting sites are only getting our info for advertising. I have been finding out that the jobs are not even available in the first place. A number of employers are only collecting resumes on a daily basis in case their employees leave...They usually leave because the management is treating them like %$%$&^ to begin with...even to the point of being cussed out on the job..This happened to me. I think laws need to be passed and employees need to be able to evaluate the people in the management positions....The job situations, just possibly, might improve. If you really look closely to most of the jobs posted, they are the same listings on all the other sites. No wonder employers are inundated with resumes, it is because of this issue. I believe employers should be required to interview regardless....I really do not think they are.
I have changed up my resume in many different forms, one pagers to 3 pagers. It does not make any difference................

Gets better. Even those jobs that you do see advertised are left overs. Most of the "good jobs" aren't advertised at all. Its word of mouth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Englewood, Colorado

17 months ago

I have to say I am with Will. I have often been the person scanning resumes for open positions. If I see unrelated personal interests as a "section" on a resume I find it more difficult to take the person seriously. Keep in mind that I work in a very focused field requiring a very specific and uncommon skill set (pediatric hospice). When I scan, I am looking for (1) how long has someone been in the field (recent graduates, sorry the job is usually not entry level) (2) are you a "job hopper" - how long do you stay at jobs and (3) Do you have any "bonus" skills that may bring added VALUE to the position, i.e., bilingual, field instructor, chemo certified, etc.
I don't even like to see "objective" on a resume bc I think it's cheesy, but I know many disagree with that.
As far as the length - people who are mid-career and who have a certain amount of experience are going to have a resume that is over one page. That rule I think is out dated.
What would get my attention when "screening"? Bullet points that highlighted some impressive performance statistics (increased length of stay by xyz %) or "bonus" skill

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Englewood, Colorado

17 months ago

persistant job seeker in Daytona Beach, Florida said: Soooo, I am also trying to figure out what the situation is....One thing is, I believe all of these job posting sites are only getting our info for advertising . I have been finding out that the jobs are not even available in the first place. A number of employers are only collecting resumes on a daily basis in case their employees leave...They usually leave because the management is treating them like %$%$&^ to begin with...even to the point of being cussed out on the job..This happened to me. I think laws need to be passed and employees need to be able to evaluate the people in the management positions....The job situations, just possibly, might improve. If you really look closely to most of the jobs posted, they are the same listings on all the other sites. No wonder employers are inundated with resumes, it is because of this issue. I believe employers should be required to interview regardless....I really do not think they are.

For what it is worth, I once got a great job because my resume was "on file" and when the position was created, I got called in to interview for it....so it does happen. BUT I acknowledge that it didn't happen when I was out of work and really needed to land a decent position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MRD Newport, Gwent in Caerphilly, United Kingdom

11 months ago

I've been recently made redundant last November an have updated my CV and made it relevant to the jobs I am applying to including my hobbies. I have been told at an agency interview not to put hobbies and interests on the CV which I have always done. I feel everywhere you go agencies and Government run Departments try to give so much advise that the majority of it is so subjective. Sometimes they exaggerate the vacancy and what the position requires using Management speak.

Amy in Chicago, Illinois

10 months ago

Nyxalinth in Denver, Colorado said: Most of my background is in office support and call centers. I have 6 years office experience and 4 and a half years in customer service . I recently applied online to several call centers here in Denver, sending a resume and a cover letter. I have neither too much nor too little experience, I don't ask for too much money if salary requirements are listed, and my skills match up nicely.

I meet the same situation. I almost lost my confidence now. Keep positive! Best wishes to us. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Still Looking in Daphne, Alabama

10 months ago

bshell1980 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: yeah, but you can only be as creative as the internet will allow. I have tried to follow up in person on my resumes or applications. I have tried to follow up on the phone. It is basically impossible to actually get in there the old school way and speak to a person about your potential with the company. I was offered officially a job at target yesterday for $7.75/ hr

...I hate it!!

I too have tried to follow up in person, but so many of the HR departments are outsourced these days. The local folks only see the resumes that the out of state HR folks have pre-screened and sent down to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Still Looking in Daphne, Alabama

10 months ago

sighing in southern, New Jersey said:

The only suggestion I have is to make sure your cover letter and resume are completely free of typos, and all grammar is perfect. One typo can cause your resume to be trashed.

Please take care. Feel free to join us in the "Frustrated Job Seeker's forum." We are all struggling, but it is a nice group of people.

This is so true. Earlier on this stream, Resume Guy gave some very sound advice, "Help them see how you have solved similar problems in the past with other employers and they will assume you know how to solve there's too."

I was so hung up on the use of "there's" instead of "theirs" that I was unable to focus on the message.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Brampton, Ontario

10 months ago

Ashley in Englewood, Colorado said: I have to say I am with Will. I have often been the person scanning resumes for open positions. If I see unrelated personal interests as a "section" on a resume I find it more difficult to take the person seriously. Keep in mind that I work in a very focused field requiring a very specific and uncommon skill set (pediatric hospice ). When I scan, I am looking for (1) how long has someone been in the field (recent graduates, sorry the job is usually not entry level ) (2) are you a "job hopper" - how long do you stay at jobs and (3) Do you have any "bonus" skills that may bring added VALUE to the position, i.e., bilingual , field instructor , chemo certified, etc.
I don't even like to see "objective" on a resume bc I think it's cheesy, but I know many disagree with that.
As far as the length - people who are mid-career and who have a certain amount of experience are going to have a resume that is over one page. That rule I think is out dated.
What would get my attention when "screening"? Bullet points that highlighted some impressive performance statistics (increased length of stay by xyz %) or "bonus" skill

It's people like this scanning resumes that keep the rest of us out of jobs. No human element in it anymore. Wow - I increased company production by 100%. I hired! Sounds to me more like - a robot. With the market becoming more robotic and less human, I'm sure someone out there is going to make a killing when robots are invented to actually do the work of a human!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland

10 months ago

JJ in Brampton, Ontario said: With the market becoming more robotic and less human, I'm sure someone out there is going to make a killing when robots are invented to actually do the work of a human!

Computers have been implemented to do the work of humans for decades now. Assembly lines are one huge example. A job I used to do back in the '80s is now basically computerized.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.