Interview Follow-up Advice!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

cste413 in Englewood, Colorado

18 months ago

Quick background: Two weeks ago I went in for the second interview at a company I am very excited about. I met with the hiring manager and one other employee. At the end of the interview, the hiring manager informed me that they would let me know within two weeks. Not really a positive sign, but whatever. Today was the two week mark, and I hadn't heard anything. I called and reached the manager. She basically informed me that she was behind schedule had nothing to tell me right now, and was hoping to make a decision within one more week. I am still in the running though, she informed me.

My question is, is there anything I can do to help myself at this point? I will wait the full week before calling again, but would a quick email be inappropriate or hurtful? I have read a few sources that recommend sending an email with a link to an article or resource the company/person may find valuable, just to keep in constant contact and express strong interest. Is this crazy?

Any advice would be helpful. I know everything so far doesn't indicate great hope, but I am trying to remain optimistic. I hope if the manager knew I was not "the one" she would have told me this morning!

Thanks for any help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

coloradounemployed in Fort Collins, Colorado

18 months ago

I sure hope you get the job! I would keep applying for jobs and not get my hopes up too much. I would be interested in any hr feedback on proper etiquette in this situation. How much is too much? You want them to know you are extremely interested but you don't want to be a pest.

I'm applying like crazy and things are really picking up this week. I have two interviews tomorrow and another one on Friday. It is going to be happy surprise when someone actually offers me a job!

Let us know what happens with this position.

daniel in Livingston, New Jersey

18 months ago

Can you please answer mine?
I cannot post links, but mine is the sales associate one about best buy. IT was recently added. Thanks!

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

18 months ago

cste413 in Englewood, Colorado said: Two weeks ago I went in for the second interview at a company I am very excited about. I met with the hiring manager and one other employee. At the end of the interview, the hiring manager informed me that they would let me know within two weeks. Not really a positive sign, but whatever. Today was the two week mark, and I hadn't heard anything. I called and reached the manager. She basically informed me that she was behind schedule had nothing to tell me right now, and was hoping to make a decision within one more week. I am still in the running though, she informed me.

My question is, is there anything I can do to help myself at this point?

Not a thing. You've followed up. The hiring manager has said she is running behind schedule and hopes to decide within another week. FWIW she said you're in the running.

Put this job on hold. Do not call if you don't hear anything after that week; it simply just annoy the hiring manager, especially if she is still "behind schedule." (Everyone has heard that one.) You will be called if you're wanted. In the meantime, keep looking.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

18 months ago

cste413 in Englewood, Colorado said: I will wait the full week before calling again, but would a quick email be inappropriate or hurtful? I have read a few sources that recommend sending an email with a link to an article or resource the company/person may find valuable, just to keep in constant contact and express strong interest. Is this crazy?
IMO, sure it is. Total BS. It's soooo transparent you're forwarding the article as a ruse. I wouldn't do it. Not only that, it's pointless to express strong interest now if you didn't express it during your interviews. That ship sailed long ago.

Good luck with your job search.

cste413 in Denver, Colorado

18 months ago

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate any feedback and advice! I have definitely been watching for other positions and applying when appropriate. I do not want all my eggs in one basket, but I do really want this job. I will not do the article idea, as I agree that it seems pretty transparent and even desperate.

I do think I will call back on Monday though if nothing has happened. I'm guessing they are waiting to see if their first choice accepts an offer, but I hope she honestly has just not had enough time! Sigh.

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

Just stand pat at this point and hope for an offer. You've done all you can.

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

cste413 in Denver, Colorado said: Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate any feedback and advice! I have definitely been watching for other positions and applying when appropriate. I do not want all my eggs in one basket, but I do really want this job. I will not do the article idea, as I agree that it seems pretty transparent and even desperate.

I do think I will call back on Monday though if nothing has happened. I'm guessing they are waiting to see if their first choice accepts an offer, but I hope she honestly has just not had enough time! Sigh.

Hang in there. I got my last job that way. Their "dream candidate" backed out on them and I was Miss. Runner Up. Heh!

Cte413

18 months ago

Thank you all for the comments, original poster here. I got the job offer today...three weeks later! So nobody feel that if an offer doesn't come within days, you won't get anything!
Thanks all

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.