Interview follow up

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 118)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Dave in Moline, Illinois

78 months ago

Call the Lead person who conducted the interview. Unless they specifically told you to e-mail, NEVER correspond by e-mail. When an HR person sees an e-mail from an address that they don't know, odds are high they'll delete it because it's either spam, or e-mail that may corrupt their system with a virus once it's opened.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Sreenidhi Krishnamoorthy in Cincinnati, Ohio

78 months ago

Thanks Dave for your suggestion. I shall inform you when my final job offer decision arrives

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bosco in Orlando, Florida

78 months ago

I interview and hire people for a living and have been doing it for many years. I am also a member of several Recruitment Associations and have frequent contact with Recruiters in other industries.

That being said, myself and other Recruiters feel that there is nothing wrong with either emailing or following up after thank-you letters. Let me say this though: it must be done in a professional manner. Like Dave said, you should stick to contacting one person such as the lead interviewer. When the interviewers get together and they discover you have been contacting everyone, that could negatively affect you. Frequency is also important. If I tell a candidate that it will be 1 month, I would not think negatively of them if they sent me a brief email after 2 to 3 weeks to check in. Once a week would be on the creepy side.

Like the previous poster stated, appearing too anxious could hurt your chances. Also, I agree with moving on if you never get a reply. There are too many good companies out there who should let you know either way.

I hope I have not confused the situation by giving you an alternate view point. In the end, go with your gut and be confident in your interviewing abilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grant in London, United Kingdom

77 months ago

I can't comment on US practice and etiquette but if it's a sales related postion you are interviewing for I would always suggest a follow up email in order to:

1. confirm your interest in the role why
2. requalify as to why you believe you are right for the role.
3. soft close or confirm you look forward to their position on such a date.

In the UK - everyone sends follow up emails - but I would only ever send it to the chief decision maker or hiring manager. With 5 people in the mix I would choose yoru contact wisely and always give HR a pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Yasmin in Bronx, New York

76 months ago

I've been on too many interviews to count & only three employers got back to me to tell me "they decided to move on to another candidate." Even when you write a follow-up e-mail after the obligatory thank you letter, they don't respond. I guess that's your cue to take a hint. It's sad that someone is hiring these people, yet I can't get one of them to tell me I haven't got the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dean Suraci in Cornwall, New York

76 months ago

Here are some reasons why I think one is not being notified about not getting the position:

1) Hiring managers are just following what the company everyday business practices are, sent forth by upper mgmt. The person doing the hiring isn't going to break protocol. If this is what the norm is, what others in the org. also doing the hiring do, then that person is going to follow suit.

2) The Hiring manager has forgotten what it's like to be the interviewee (sitting around waiting for an answer as to whether he has the job or not).

3) Hiring mgr could care less since he's not going to hire you, so what's the difference if he/she offends you alittle bit by not sending the rejection letter out.

4) It takes time for them to send out rejection letters, and as we all know there aren't enough hrs in the day. (It's still wrong though).

Too many companies out there don't tell candidates if they have gotten the job or not. It's funny, after a company treats me poorly for some reason, I always tell myself I will never ever use their products or services. However, I usually end up buying their product. What a smuck I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Vincent in West Palm Beach, Florida

75 months ago

Bosco in Orlando, Florida said: It's extremely unprofessional to not give people appropriate feedback whether the interview is in-person in an office or done over the phone. It's hard to say why many do not do this. You are probably correct that many look at the recruitment process as some sort of burden. I think that maybe they do not realize what they are putting people through who are waiting to find out if they are getting position (or not). It's as if they forgot what it was like when they were looking for a job.

Because the people doing the interviewing are not professionals. They were pushed up the ladder to quickly and cheaply fill holes.
They are not qualified to be managers or even to correctly handle an interview. They are most likely technical people with a meaningless new title of Manager.
So sad, people trying their best to advance their careers have no chance of impressing these geeks with titles. They have no clue and we suffer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

alison in Raleigh, North Carolina

73 months ago

I think is very unprofessional for employers not to follow up with candidates,
after all you have taken time and effort to respond to the ad and go for an interview .
they should be considerate enough and understand that is not easy to just seat around and wait . I think it should be some type of low in place for employers to do the follow up with candidates in timely manner .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alan in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I agree with getting business cards, if possible, and following-up only to the extent that one should send thank-you letters to each interviewer. The voice mails are unnecessary and potentially annoying. That's it. You don't get any second chances for correcting a bad interview. The company will call you if it is interested in you.

In the meantime, Alan, you should pay Indeed to advertise your little enterprise instead of unethically ripping it off via the free fora.

No disrespect...but stick to law...an interview coach is not your game

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Orlando, Florida

71 months ago

I am currently in the same situation. I recently applied for a job, had a phone interview with three different people. and a face-to-face interview. I was told that I was told that he liked how the interview went and that he was going to refer me to the hiring manager who would call me. It has been over a week and I still haven't heard anything. To be professional, I sent out a 'Thank You' letter to the manager who interviewed me as well as called him yesterday to express my continued interest in the job. He spoke to me for close to ten minutes and then abruptly asked he if could call me back (as if he had to do something right away). Well, that was yesterday morning at 9am and here it is the next day and he never called me back. What should I make of this situation? I was told my the HR Manager that interviewed me over the phone that they were looking to fill this position as soon as possible but with a lackluster interview/hiring process like this I don't see how this can be true. I guess I am just frustrated but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sreenidhi in La Crosse, Wisconsin

71 months ago

Dan in Orlando, Florida said: I am currently in the same situation. I recently applied for a job, had a phone interview with three different people. and a face-to-face interview. I was told that I was told that he liked how the interview went and that he was going to refer me to the hiring manager who would call me. It has been over a week and I still haven't heard anything. To be professional, I sent out a 'Thank You' letter to the manager who interviewed me as well as called him yesterday to express my continued interest in the job. He spoke to me for close to ten minutes and then abruptly asked he if could call me back (as if he had to do something right away). Well, that was yesterday morning at 9am and here it is the next day and he never called me back. What should I make of this situation? I was told my the HR Manager that interviewed me over the phone that they were looking to fill this position as soon as possible but with a lackluster interview/hiring process like this I don't see how this can be true. I guess I am just frustrated but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I was the person who posted the first post in this thread, and just to let you know, I didnt get the job. I realized that unless there is something conclusive happening in the interview, there is very little chance of selection. But in your case, you have been specifically told that the interview went good and your manager spoke to you for about 10 minutes ( fairly long). So I guess some internal formality is stopping them from making the offer to you at this time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Displaced is right. Getting a job is a numbers game for both the candidate and the employer. Employers have many applicants vying for a few positions. You, as the candidate should try to have multiple opportunities going at the same time as well.

I personally don't mind an occasional email from an applicant but you should be careful of becoming an annoyance. And yes, too many employers have such a high volume of candidates that it is sometimes difficult to get rejection letters out to everyone.

The bottom line is: keep you chin up, keep applying and interviewing and the right opportunity will present itself!!

Best of luck to you . . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly Shoemaker in Williamsburg, Massachusetts

69 months ago

Sreenidhi Krishnamoorthy in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I had an onsite interview with Johnson Controls exactly 3 weeks back. I was interviewed by 5 people, including the HR. The day after the interview, I sent a thank you email to everyone and asked the HR for an approximate time when a decision would be made. She said it will take 1 month because of the number of candidates and interviews anticipated . Should I now contact any of the 5 interviewers again or should I just wait to hear from them till the 1 month time has passed ?

Did you end up getting the job? Tell me what happened

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Kelly Shoemaker in Williamsburg, Massachusetts said: Did you end up getting the job? Tell me what happened

No I didnt. They never got back to me inspite of repeated attempts to call the HR. Finally one day the HR replied to my email that they selected another candidate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

B in Irving, Texas

69 months ago

I had an interview with a company 02/20/09. I didn't hearing anything back. On 03/04/09 I
e-mailed the recruiter and she said the position hasn't been filled and they are still interviewing candidates. She didn't send me a rejection letter (this company has sent me one in the past when I didn't get the job). Well, today is 03/13/09 I still haven't heard ANYTHING. It's driving me nuts. I really want this job. Should I e-mail her again? How much time should I give before I follow up again? I know for a fact they are busy with it being Fannie Mae and having so many positions open. Any advice will be much appreciated.

69 months ago

B in Irving, Texas said: I had an interview with a company 02/20/09. I didn't hearing anything back. On 03/04/09 I
e-mailed the recruiter and she said the position hasn't been filled and they are still interviewing candidates. She didn't send me a rejection letter (this company has sent me one in the past when I didn't get the job). Well, today is 03/13/09 I still haven't heard ANYTHING. It's driving me nuts. I really want this job. Should I e-mail her again? How much time should I give before I follow up again? I know for a fact they are busy with it being Fannie Mae and having so many positions open. Any advice will be much appreciated.

In my personal experience, I would NEVER let someone we were seriously considering for a job sit around for that long. If it did take that long to get an offer together, you can bet you would be hearing from me every 3 to 4 days with updates.

As for rejection letters, unfortunately sometimes they get sent and sometimes they don't. I'm sorry but I would not hold out hope that just because you haven't received a letter that you are still being considered.

You could email the recruiter again but they may just string you along. I would really consider moving on . . . sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I agree with the person above. I was the one who started this thread and my experiences match Bosco's opinion.

Hope Plunkett in Bensalem, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Sreenidhi Krishnamoorthy in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I had an onsite interview with Johnson Controls exactly 3 weeks back. I was interviewed by 5 people, including the HR. The day after the interview, I sent a thank you email to everyone and asked the HR for an approximate time when a decision would be made. She said it will take 1 month because of the number of candidates and interviews anticipated . Should I now contact any of the 5 interviewers again or should I just wait to hear from them till the 1 month time has passed ?

Hi, My bf and I had the same thing happen to us. We got an interview and both our interviewers told us we had the job and let us know when to start, but no one got back to us. It's crazy out there. we live in bensalem,pa. If you know any jobs out here having to do with customer service jobs, and inside sales and deli stores let me know or anyone know. Thanks. Sorry to here that also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hope Plunkett in Bensalem, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Frustrated in Meriden, Connecticut said: I interviewed for a position 2 weeks ago. I did what I was supposed to do. Sent out a thank you letter to the head of the department (1 of the 3 ppl who interviewed me). So, today, I called them to see the status since have not heard from them. I was put on hold by the person who picked up since he went to look for the department head who I had initially asked to speak to. He came back on the phone and said I should be receiving something in the mail which will explain me the process. What on earth does that mean? Does this mean I did not get the job? From what I know, only the rejected candidates get something in writing and if i was offered the job, they would have called me by now? HELP!!! I am majorly frustrated.

Hi, I had an interview with walmart. They had said they liked me and call me with the hours and never did. I than called the person up and they told me no one got hired. So a week goes by cause they said for me to keep trying and then I called on a friday and they told me, the position was already filled after already telling me they would give me my hours. That makes me sick to my stomach. I havent tried anywhere else cause im afraid the same thing will happen again. The sale as your story happened to my bf. Told him he had the job and all and the person was eager to hire him and he called a few times, and there was no answer from who he had the interview with. It saddens me to see companies like these making anything happen at all. Also to put the person through so much aggrevation. I sympathize with you graciously. I am sorry to hear about the same thing. I feel as though im not alone. Good luck tell me what goes on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SharaRN in Oakland, California

68 months ago

Hey guys, I have a question. I interviewed for a job about a month ago, and the interview went really well, everyone seemed to like me. I spent 2 hours there, and was told that there was one other person interviewing. I heard back quickly within a week and they wanted my references. They asked me to fill out some paperwork/background check info, and now it has been like 2 weeks and I haven't heard back. I know they weren't going to fill the position until the middle of summer and it is with KaiserPermanente so they are a big company, maybe it just isn't a big pressure thing for them? Any thoughts??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sreenidhi Krishnamoorthy in Cincinnati (100% willingness to relocate), Ohio

68 months ago

I feel the very fact that they asked you to fill out background check documents and asked for references means they are inclined on hiring you. But paperwork takes time, especially for a big company. So dont get impatient, in the mean time keep applying for other jobs.

Bob in Lihue, Hawaii

68 months ago

I submitted a resume and interviewed a week later for a health care job around 2/01/09.
I was told they needed to do a background check, which was fine it took about 2 weeks. Then I was told I had to take a pre-employment written test, everything went well and I passed. However I had to followup with a call after not hearing anything for 2 weeks after I took the test. So the next step I was told was a drug screen and physical. The employer stated he would make arrangements, and he did 2 weeks later. They paid for airline tickets and flew me to another city for the test. Again I passed. I thought since they paid for airline tickets and all that I had the job, but its been 2 more weeks and I've heard nothing. I was told this is a long hiring process but geez. This is really getting frustrating. I just wonder if I should call again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Bob in Lihue, Hawaii said: I submitted a resume and interviewed a week later for a health care job around 2/01/09.
I was told they needed to do a background check, which was fine it took about 2 weeks. Then I was told I had to take a pre-employment written test, everything went well and I passed. However I had to followup with a call after not hearing anything for 2 weeks after I took the test. So the next step I was told was a drug screen and physical. The employer stated he would make arrangements, and he did 2 weeks later. They paid for airline tickets and flew me to another city for the test. Again I passed. I thought since they paid for airline tickets and all that I had the job, but its been 2 more weeks and I've heard nothing. I was told this is a long hiring process but geez. This is really getting frustrating. I just wonder if I should call again.

If it's been 2 weeks, I would call again. They never made you an official offer? It sounds like you have the job but it's strange that they would put you through the process without an official offer letter or something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Bosco is a physician recruiter whose ideas I respect and who knows his industry, but I still wouldn't call. The company said it has a lengthy hiring process. You have to respect that. A lot may depend on the position, but a seemingly ridiculous amount of time has passed since your last contact with the company. Even so, you still don't want to do anything that could queer your chances.

Good luck with getting this job. In the meantime, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Apply for other jobs.

Good point Displaced. However, it does seem that when you call, the process moves forward a bit. Having said that, I would never make the candidate we want to hire wait 2 weeks for each step in the process (and then expect them to call me). When we identify the person we want to hire, we move the process forward quickly!

Unfortunately, it sounds like they are just stringing you along while they wait for their first choice candidate to give them an answer. I would definitely keep looking . . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Olomoust in Dayton, Ohio

68 months ago

There's some great advice in this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed.

I interviewed with a team of 6 people today. I'm now working on thank you letters. Do I need to personalize all of them? Can the core info (reiterating my qualifications and interest in the job) be repeated?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Confused in Brooklyn, New York

67 months ago

I'm also having a similar issue to others. I had a phone interview for a job one month ago. It went well and I was called in for an in-person interview in which I presented myself in front of 5 people. The interview seemed to have gone well as it was limited to an hour but we went over because the interview turned into a good conversation. The interview was for a position in a high school and one of the interviewers was the school principal. Following the interview, I emailed thank you letters to the interviewers and personalized each one. The principal emailed me back and asked me to have coffee with her that Saturday. We ended up meeting for over 2 hours talking about the position and my experience. I was told they would be getting back to me beginning of last week. I haven't heard anything. I emailed the person that initially contacted me and conducted the phone interview and haven't heard anything back from her. I emailed the principal yesterday to see if she could give me an update and, once again, haven't heard anything. I have the bad feeling I didn't get the position. But I feel strongly that they owe me a phone call or email letting me know. Can anyone give me some advice or input?

ShanaRN in Oakland, California

67 months ago

Just to follow up on my story, I finally, after almost 4 months heard back and I got the job. Keep the faith guys!

Marketing in Michigan in Byron Center, Michigan

67 months ago

So after reading this chain, I feel like I already know the answer to this, but here goes anyways. Typical scenerio, had a great phone interview, went in for three seperate face-to-face interviews after that, all that went very well, and then was told I would hear back very soon. This was 2 weeks ago. I did send thank you notes, and then contacted the manager for the position via e-mail 3 days ago to just thank them again and see if he would give me any further information (the manager is a classmate of mine in my MBA program, so I have had a relationship with him outside of these interviews as well). He called and left me a voicemail saying that they are still "working on some details" in the company, and I should hear back from them very soon. I was told by this friend of mine after the 2nd interview that I was the only person they were still interviewing, but now I am worried they are calling more people in. What does "working on details" mean??

67 months ago

Marketing in Michigan in Byron Center, Michigan said: So after reading this chain, I feel like I already know the answer to this, but here goes anyways. Typical scenerio, had a great phone interview, went in for three seperate face-to-face interviews after that, all that went very well, and then was told I would hear back very soon. This was 2 weeks ago. I did send thank you notes, and then contacted the manager for the position via e-mail 3 days ago to just thank them again and see if he would give me any further information (the manager is a classmate of mine in my MBA program, so I have had a relationship with him outside of these interviews as well). He called and left me a voicemail saying that they are still "working on some details" in the company, and I should hear back from them very soon. I was told by this friend of mine after the 2nd interview that I was the only person they were still interviewing, but now I am worried they are calling more people in. What does "working on details" mean??

"Working on details" probably means they are considering not filling the position but have not made a final decision.

In my experience, if we are truly serious about hiring someone, then I am on the phone calling the candidate with weekly updates. I'm not waiting for the candidate to call or email me to "check in." The concern is that the candidate is getting other offers while we go through our offer approval process. There's nothing worse than calling with an offer and someone has accepted another position!

You should definitely move on . . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

B in Irving, Texas

66 months ago

I must say, the advice given in this forum has been very helpful and right on. I didn't end up getting the position (I posted about on this forum 2 months ago). I also experienced the same treatment (never getting a response or feedback) from other companies I've interviewed with.

Well... I had an interview with a company at the beginning of April. I sent my thank you letters and also followed up via e-mail and voice mail (I called after my e-mail wasn't answered). I never received a response from the recruiter. I figured I didn't get the position. Last night (almost 2 months later) I received a call from the recruiter asking me to do a 2nd interview. Why is that?

I feel kind of disrespected because she wouldn't give me the time of day following the first interview. But I'm going to continue with the 2nd interview because I really need to get back to work.

It's hard enough in today's market for job seekers. I feel that companies treat people this way because they know that job seekers are limited on their options.

B in Irving, Texas

66 months ago

P.S. I'm in the mortgage business. I would also like to agree with Displaced Legal Professional's opinion about educators. Without them, we wouldn't amount to anything. Educators are the reason we are able to participate (read/write) in this forum.

jwchu in Sacramento, California

66 months ago

Hi guys,

I applied to a Fund Accountant position with State Street of Sacramento about two months ago and received a phone interview within 2 weeks. After the phone interview, it seriously took a month before I got an in person panel interview. I had my panel interview with 3 managers and I think it went really well. HR told me that it would take about 2 weeks for a decision to be made. However, it has been 1 month from the interview and still no decision has been made. I sent them typed up thank you letters and followed up weekly by email and phone (alternating weekly) but HR just keep telling me that no decision has been made yet and will get back to me as soon as he hears anything.

I called the HR recruiter last week and he told me that HOPEFULLY a decision will be made by the end of this month (end of May) and will get back to me. So now I am sitting here anxiously waiting for something. What should I do?! From what I read on this board…I guess its over =(.

From what I heard….State Street is really slow…hopefully.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

jwchu in Sacramento, California said: Hi guys,

I applied to a Fund Accountant position with State Street of Sacramento about two months ago and received a phone interview within 2 weeks. After the phone interview, it seriously took a month before I got an in person panel interview. I had my panel interview with 3 managers and I think it went really well. HR told me that it would take about 2 weeks for a decision to be made. However, it has been 1 month from the interview and still no decision has been made. I sent them typed up thank you letters and followed up weekly by email and phone (alternating weekly) but HR just keep telling me that no decision has been made yet and will get back to me as soon as he hears anything.

I called the HR recruiter last week and he told me that HOPEFULLY a decision will be made by the end of this month (end of May) and will get back to me. So now I am sitting here anxiously waiting for something. What should I do?! From what I read on this board…I guess its over =(.

From what I heard….State Street is really slow…hopefully.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

It's a numbers game, pure and simple. You should be out there interviewing as much as possible. If you sit around waiting for one opportunity, you may have missed 3 or 4 others.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a couple offers to choose from?

Good luck to you!!

Marketing in Michigan in Oregon, Illinois

66 months ago

I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I posted a few weeks ago regarding a position I had gone on a fews weeks prior, and thought I should have heard back by now. The encouraging words kept me going, and the advice to keep looking kept me sane and kept me from obsessing over this one position. Thought you might find it encouraging that I received a phone call this morning and was offered the postion!! They had told me after the forth interview that they would "get back to me very soon" and it was going on a month now, so some companies truly are really slow at the hiring process and "working on the details!"
Thanks again for the helpful advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

D in Dallas, Texas

66 months ago

I interviewed with a company today and spoke with the hiring manager and RVP. I thought it was odd that they both stated at the beginning of the interview that they didn't technically have a position open but expect to soon (maybe 6 mos) and they wanted to go ahead and interview candidates now. HR did have me fill out an app and the job is posted on their website. The interviews went well and I got very positive feedback from both interviewers. I'm not sure if this is normal practice or not. Why would you go through the whole interview process if you were not looking to fill a position. Isn't that just wasting everyone's time?

dan in San Jose, California

66 months ago

interviewers need to be spammed keep emailing those jerks long after they tell you the position is closed you will never work for the company. get mad at them jobs!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

dan in San Jose, California said: interviewers need to be spammed keep emailing those jerks long after they tell you the position is closed you will never work for the company. get mad at them jobs!!!

Yeah, that's really great advice. What exactly did the interviewer do wrong by filling the position that deserves punishment?

You should be careful about burning bridges when it comes to job hunting. I've hired several Doctors who were not selected in previous searches when another position became available at a later date. You just never know . . .

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

66 months ago

D in Dallas, Texas said: I interviewed with a company today and spoke with the hiring manager and RVP. I thought it was odd that they both stated at the beginning of the interview that they didn't technically have a position open but expect to soon (maybe 6 mos) and they wanted to go ahead and interview candidates now. HR did have me fill out an app and the job is posted on their website. --- I'm not sure if this is normal practice or not. Why would you go through the whole interview process if you were not looking to fill a position. Isn't that just wasting everyone's time?

Sounds to me like they might do housekeeping, fire people and replace them at a cheaper rate. Twenty years ago in Tampa, there was a big corporation here, and they did just that; however, they offered people their jobs at like $8.00 an hour when they had been making maybe $15.00.

Seemingly S.O.L. in Lafayette, Louisiana

66 months ago

I interviewed for a position about two weeks ago, and thought the process went fairly well. I met with several managers and submitted a personality profile. I was told at a previous meeting with the supervisor of the position for which I applied that the company intended to hire someone fairly quickly. After a week, I followed up to inquire about the hiring decision and was told that they were working through the process. I decided to be patient and continue the job search, only to find a job posting for the position--posted two days ago.

I'm starting to accept that I won't be getting this job, but was wondering if I should contact the lead interviewer to inquire. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sreenidhi Krishnamoorthy in La Crosse, Wisconsin

66 months ago

Just because a job position has been posted doesnt mean that you are ruled out. There may be more than 1 position of same kind that the company may need.
Whether you should contact the lead interviewer is completely your judgement. My call is that if you have attended the interview, sent a thank you email, and followed up once - then I think you have done your job. There may be many other internal factors that affect their decision on offering you the job, so you be patient. At the same time dont just rely on this offer, keep trying for other positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Seemingly S.O.L. in Lafayette, Louisiana said: I interviewed for a position about two weeks ago, and thought the process went fairly well. I met with several managers and submitted a personality profile. I was told at a previous meeting with the supervisor of the position for which I applied that the company intended to hire someone fairly quickly. After a week, I followed up to inquire about the hiring decision and was told that they were working through the process. I decided to be patient and continue the job search, only to find a job posting for the position--posted two days ago.

I'm starting to accept that I won't be getting this job, but was wondering if I should contact the lead interviewer to inquire. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

As someone else posted earlier, there very well may be another position available similar to the one you're interviewing for. Was the position you interviewed for still posted or had it been taken down? I don't know what industry you're searching in but I sometimes have the same position posted but usually in different locations.

As a Recruiter, I personally don't mind if candidates check in with me with questions like these. That's just me though. I have had candidates call to let me know that they saw another position posted and wanted to be considered for that one if the original one fell through (could be a reason to call). In fact, I've hired several candidates for positions that they did not originally apply for.

If, however, you got the feeling that perhaps you were bothering the recruiter or manager then it may be best to move on. The best plan is always to have several opportunities going at once (if possible). After all, the companies have multiple candidates to choose from and you ideally should have multiple offers to choose from!!

Best of luck to you!!!!!

65 months ago

Michael 06 in Calabasas said: Hi,

Applying for a job interview can at time be a nerve-racking experience for some. For others who know the tricks of the trade, it is like any other day at the office. However, a job interview needs a lot of preparation especially because sometimes the interviewer gets better of the interviewee. Job interview questions can also be unnerving especially for someone who is appearing for an interview for the first time.

I went to this website and this seems highly suspicious. I interview candidates for positions all day long and there is no "secret document" that will shoot someone to the "top of the list."

What makes someone a strong candidate is when they have the necessary job skills, the required experience AND the right personality!! To me, the personality is the most important part. That's the only part that cannot be trained.

If someone does not have the right combination of skills, experience and personality then there is no "secret career document" that is going to change that. In fact, if someone tried to use something like this on me, it would be a HUGE red flag . . .

Ill keep looking in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

Thanks to all of you who have given me advice and encouragement in this tough job market we are in.
I had an interview that lasted 2 hours about 3 weeks ago. I did the background check and once they got that back they called me in for a 2nd interview. I was told I was one of two they were choosing from. I interview with 2 more people and one of them was the HR Manager who said they would get back to me by 7/1/09 either way. She said I was a very strong candidate. But the date came and went with no call or letter.
I did send a Thank you to the 1st interviewer and also to other 2.
I have been so anxience, but I got a lot of advise off this forum to just move on, which I have anyway. I just wanted to see if companies are not being professional anymore and at least letting candidates know EITHER way.
Good luck to all of you who are still looking.

L in Davis, California

65 months ago

How do you find the email to send thank you letters? My job applications have all been though the company's website and I want to thank my phone interviewer and do a follow up but I cannot find her email. Do I email the general HR email and ask to be forwarded or what? My interviewer would be my boss if I am hired.

Staffing Guru in Somewhere out there, California

65 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said:
Just as the Supremes sang that you can't hurry love, you can't hurry a company's hiring process. Some people believe that (incessant) followups will hurry the process. Such followups will likely hurry things along, alright, such as hurrying your rejection.

QFE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

georgebuffet in London, United Kingdom

65 months ago

Hi There!!

Yes you can contact them and ask about the job. Because you should not waste your time by just waiting for a job without any confirmation.

Hope it helps :)

Regards,
George Buffet

Staffing Guru in Somewhere out there, California

65 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: English, please, "Guru"?

QFE= Quoted for Emphasis

Jane in Palmdale, California

65 months ago

I have recieved a phone call and email from HR department stating that they are please to offer me a job but still waiting for a final confimation depends on my references, 1-9 form and some clearance needed. The hiring manager said that it will take 4 days to clear then i will recieve a phone call again very soon from their office. Also, he advice me to call back if I have not heard from them which i did twice but unable to talk to him personally for some reason so I just left a message. But 2 days later I still have not heard from them. The job offer will take place within 9 days.

Any advice on what should I do next? I really want to know on where do I stand on this position. I turned down 1 sure job offer because I really want to work with this company. Should I just go to their office personally or should I just wait?

65 months ago

Jane in Palmdale, California said: I have recieved a phone call and email from HR department stating that they are please to offer me a job but still waiting for a final confimation depends on my references, 1-9 form and some clearance needed. The hiring manager said that it will take 4 days to clear then i will recieve a phone call again very soon from their office. Also, he advice me to call back if I have not heard from them which i did twice but unable to talk to him personally for some reason so I just left a message. But 2 days later I still have not heard from them. The job offer will take place within 9 days.

Any advice on what should I do next? I really want to know on where do I stand on this position. I turned down 1 sure job offer because I really want to work with this company. Should I just go to their office personally or should I just wait?

Like Displaced said, do not just show up at the office. It could send up some red flags. It sounds like they made you a "contingent" offer. This is completely normal. We do this all the time. The offer is "contingent" upon successful completion of the references and background check and can sometimes take days or a week to complete. Just sit tight. Since they called AND emailed you this is a good sign.

You may want to call the people you listed as references to see if they've been called . . .

Also, when you say the "job offer will take place within 9 days" what did you mean? Do you mean that your start date is in 9 days?

Best of luck to you!!

Jane in Palmdale, California

65 months ago

Bosco in Orlando, Florida said: Like Displaced said, do not just show up at the office. It could send up some red flags. It sounds like they made you a "contingent" offer. This is completely normal. We do this all the time. The offer is "contingent" upon successful completion of the references and background check and can sometimes take days or a week to complete. Just sit tight. Since they called AND emailed you this is a good sign.

You may want to call the people you listed as references to see if they've been called . . .

Also, when you say the "job offer will take place within 9 days" what did you mean? Do you mean that your start date is in 9 days?

Best of luck to you!!

Dear Bosco in Florida,

Thank you very much for your time reading and replying to my delema. :). It really helps alot. I am just about to go to the HR office to personally follow-up my application when I read your comment.

Yes, job suppose to start on july 27. I am wondering if they forgot about me. I am really confident that the clearance will go well since my record is clean.

I phone HR one last week then 1 time this week for follow-up but I am unable to speak to the person incharge. I left a message asking to call me back for the update but until now I have not get any callS?

This job is very important to me and I am beginning to think that they give it to someone else.

Anyway, thank you very much again for your help. It mean so much to me. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.