Interview follow up

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 118 of 118)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Ash in Toronto, Ontario

35 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Interviewing other candidates means thanks but no thanks. They could have liked you, the interview may have gone well but it doesn't mean you will be hired.

The response to internal interview should always be very clear. If not then it's gone. "Interviewing other candidates", "will let you know soon", taking unusually longer time are not a good indication for internal candidate. I work for a government-like organization. It sucks when I hear something like "fair chance", "equal opportunity" etc. etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Marina Del Rey, California

34 months ago

I had a phone interview with an HR recruiter and she asked me to come in for an interview. This was a few days before Thanksgiving-- she said she would forward my resume to the hiring manager who was on vacation. I thought the interview went well and she seemed interested. I sent the Thank you letter and she emailed me and thanked me. Have not heard back though! This was for a studio and I know they love to take their time. Should I follow up w an email or phone call? I don't want to be too annoying but I want her to know I am interested in working for the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jelly Belly in Binghamton, New York

33 months ago

Don't stress over your upcoming interview! With these tips, you’ll learn how to be prepared for an interview, become confident and land the job you want. www.instituteforcoaching.com/2011/11/how-to-be-prepared-for-an-interview/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cglass in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

I had an interview Nov 17th for a personal assistant position for an interior designer. He said he thought my questions where very smart that leaf me to think that the overall interview went well. I wrote a thank you letter within 24 hrs of the interview and called two weeks later to follow up about the position. The person in charge of the decision making said he appreciated my phone call, had a few more interviews the following week and would get back to me regardless if I got the position the following week. He never got back to me, should I do another follow up by phone or email about the position? Or should I just move on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cglass in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

Linda in Marina Del Rey, California said: I had a phone interview with an HR recruiter and she asked me to come in for an interview. This was a few days before Thanksgiving-- she said she would forward my resume to the hiring manager who was on vacation. I thought the interview went well and she seemed interested. I sent the Thank you letter and she emailed me and thanked me. Have not heard back though! This was for a studio and I know they love to take their time. Should I follow up w an email or phone call? I don't want to be too annoying but I want her to know I am interested in working for the company.

Hi Linda,
I would follow up by phone. Enough time has passed since you have contacted the studio, that you wouldn't seem annoying or desperate. Call them rather than email them and remind them that you want the position.

Bryan Branch in Castle Rock

33 months ago

Good day! I think you need to wait until it's 1 month. I'm sure they know when to follow their applicants.

Sincerely yours,
<a href="www.theinterviewscience.com"> job interview book </a>

Bluetea in Texas

33 months ago

cglass in Los Angeles, California said: I had an interview Nov 17th for a personal assistant position for an interior designer. He said he thought my questions where very smart that leaf me to think that the overall interview went well. I wrote a thank you letter within 24 hrs of the interview and called two weeks later to follow up about the position. The person in charge of the decision making said he appreciated my phone call, had a few more interviews the following week and would get back to me regardless if I got the position the following week. He never got back to me, should I do another follow up by phone or email about the position? Or should I just move on?

Move on. You have to put your OWN time limit on your suffering. I give them 30 days. 9 times out of 10, they won't contact you.

Yes, I know they said they would - they all say that.

CG in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

I interviewed for a big company a month ago (both phone and in person). I sent 2 thanks you/ follow up letters. A week after the interview they asked for my references and to take a behavioral test which I did. It has been a month and they still haven’t contacted my references or given me any answers beside the fact that they still had a person left to interview 2 weeks ago. Should I get a clue and move on.
Thanks

Bluetea in Texas

33 months ago

hoapres in San Jose, California said: You should always keep looking for work until you get the job. Even after you have a job then keep up your contacts so that in the event you lose your job then you have some leads for a new one.

Great advice! I once read that you ALWAYS need to know of at least 3 other places that might have a need for your skills. No job is forever anymore.

I got this job, a week after I was laid off from my last job, only because I knew someone who knew someone.

I will get my next job the same way.

Desperate for this one job in Ashburn, Virginia

33 months ago

I have been reading all the comments on this thread and it's clear to me that I need to just move on (sounds like an awful break-up, ha!). I interviewed with this fortune 500 over 3 weeks ago. They LOVED me during the interview. The hiring manager indicated that I was one of the first candidates they had interviewed (okay, so you need more time to review applications and interview candidates). Towards the end of the first week I after my interview I received follow-up emails from company recruiter stating I was their top choice (or one of the final two) and they wanted references which they soon checked (I confirmed with the references as well). It's been about 3 weeks now. During this time I have been told indirectly and hinted in so many ways by the recruiter that I was getting the offer. I even asked him jokingly whose name it was on the draft offer letter and he said mine. I was told they wanted to fill the position up asap and Im just not sure what's going on. Any thoughts from anyone? I know I should keep interviewing and keep the process moving but god knows I really want this job and it's going to be a phenomenal experience for me professionally
It's very frustrating to say the least. If only the recruiter would just tell me that they have offered the position to somone and they are waitin to hear back from Candidate Mr. First Choice. I know that's most likely the case. But then why go through reference checks for me and pretty much tell me that I'm getting the offer if that is not the case. This is a very reputable company and I wouldn't expect them to not give me an answer. Maybe in 6 months I'll know :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Rothstein in Riverside, California

33 months ago

Hi "Desperate for this one job"!

You are right. You do need to just learn to move on. It is hard to accept that so-called "professional" companies do not follow up or even send you a rejection letter. It can be very frustrating. I believe that you should just remember that it is hard to for them to respond to everyone, and you cannot be discouraged by this because most that apply do not receive any feedback.

Just keep your head up and you will find something eventually. It is hard out there right now.

Desperate for this one job in Ashburn, Virginia

33 months ago

You are right Melissa but how often are they hiring folks that they don't have time. How about a quick phone call? Especially if you have been indicating that you appreciate my patience and how much impressed everyone was after my interview. I've called maybe twice and perhaps responded to the emails twice as well when he needed references etc. and on all occasions the response has been very promising. He truly doesn't seem to mind when I have given him a call. I've even indicated that look I don't want to bother you because I understand how irritating that can get to which the response has been "oh no! That's definitely not the case". I know it's holiday season and a lot of folks are out internally but why not just tell me what the deal is honestly. I CAN find a job and I am a deserving candidate. But I'm really interested in THIS job. Im sure there are others out there as well but then just tell me honestly what the hold up is. Is t common for fortune 100/500 companies to do this? I don't min being told I'm the second option but why not just tell me. What's the worse that can happen? I guess I don't understand the reason for being so discreet. I know for a fact that they couldn't have interviewed more than 10 ppl for the position... Sigh..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

33 months ago

Desperate for this one job in Ashburn, Virginia said: You are right Melissa but how often are they hiring folks that they don't have time. How about a quick phone call? Especially if you have been indicating that you appreciate my patience and how much impressed everyone was after my interview. I've called maybe twice and perhaps responded to the emails twice as well when he needed references etc. and on all occasions the response has been very promising. He truly doesn't seem to mind when I have given him a call. I've even indicated that look I don't want to bother you because I understand how irritating that can get to which the response has been "oh no! That's definitely not the case". I know it's holiday season and a lot of folks are out internally but why not just tell me what the deal is honestly. I CAN find a job and I am a deserving candidate. But I'm really interested in THIS job. Im sure there are others out there as well but then just tell me honestly what the hold up is. Is t common for fortune 100/500 companies to do this? I don't min being told I'm the second option but why not just tell me. What's the worse that can happen? I guess I don't understand the reason for being so discreet. I know for a fact that they couldn't have interviewed more than 10 ppl for the position... Sigh..

You are going to have to get over this. No company is going to allow staff to tell applicants why they DIDN'T get the job. Heh!

If you are looking for common courtesy, job hunting ain't for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

33 months ago

It certainly would be nice to know, but employers so often nowadays do not bother giving notice back.

The interview was three weeks ago, and it's holiday season. You might still be in the running. I'm not going to tell you to sit around and wait without proceeding with your search, but I wouldn't give up hope entirely. I would move ahead and try to put it out of my mind. If it does come through, then consider it a bonus.

The thing is, if the employer really, really wanted you, then you'd think they'd be concerned that you'd get away. I think they just never show their hand much of the time nowadays until you receive a written offer.

It's tough and torturous. But I hope you do get notice one way or another, hopefully of a positive nature.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Horsham, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

Hope Plunkett in Bensalem, Pennsylvania said: Hi, My bf and I had the same thing happen to us. We got an interview and both our interviewers told us we had the job and let us know when to start, but no one got back to us. It's crazy out there. we live in bensalem,pa. If you know any jobs out here having to do with customer service jobs, and inside sales and deli stores let me know or anyone know. Thanks. Sorry to here that also.

I find alot of job leads on INDEED.COM just type in job type and location and radius and it will give you a good response!

Ash in Langhorne, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

I had a double interview last week that went fairly well. The manager said he was impressed and unless the remaining candidates wowed him this week the position would be mine. I did my drug test on Monday and am waiting on them to finish my background check. Yesterday I found out none of my references were called. I found this odd as that day they immediately provided drug test papers and a credit check. I would assume they would treat the remaining part of my background check with the same level of urgency. He brought up salary as well and that he could exceed my request on my resume but not before speaking with hr and finishing my background check. I was shocked it was brought up. However, now it looks like they didn't even bother to finish my background check? What do you think? I sent my thank you letter Monday as well. I want this job! He said he would try to call by today. Should I call or wait?

Bluetea in Texas

32 months ago

Ash in Langhorne, Pennsylvania said: I had a double interview last week that went fairly well. The manager said he was impressed and unless the remaining candidates wowed him this week the position would be mine. I did my drug test on Monday and am waiting on them to finish my background check. Yesterday I found out none of my references were called. I found this odd as that day they immediately provided drug test papers and a credit check. I would assume they would treat the remaining part of my background check with the same level of urgency. He brought up salary as well and that he could exceed my request on my resume but not before speaking with hr and finishing my background check. I was shocked it was brought up. However, now it looks like they didn't even bother to finish my background check? What do you think? I sent my thank you letter Monday as well. I want this job! He said he would try to call by today. Should I call or wait?

You should bake him a Pineapple Upside Down cake and deliver it in person.

Call or wait? Neither. Apply for 5 more jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

32 months ago

Call him on Monday. What do you have to lose? He could still be interviewing today.

Who knows why your references haven't been called? Maybe they have and just haven't connected yet for a conversation. I know I had mine called a few weeks ago and still didn't get the job.

It sounds like you're in a decent position to get the job. It's a pity employers act like this because it's perceived as games by the prospective employee and works their last nerve.

Call him Monday. Good luck.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.