Job Interview Has Me Doing Double Takes

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

IWantBetter in Hollywood, Florida

16 months ago

I had an interview last week Tuesday with a doctor's office for an office manager position. It was a good interview, lasting over an hour, with the doctor and his administrator going into detail about his practice, what his expectations were, what the salary was, etc. He told me, flat out, that he has no qualms about me except that I have absolutely no significant managerial experience. The administrator proceeded to ask me questions such as if I can work weekends, if I have any kids, when I would be able to start working there, etc. During the entire interview, they complimented me on different personality qualities I had and such. The doctor even asked me send him some projects I worked on in college, to see my ability of creating materials as well as basic marketing skills. He also gave me "homework" to research his practice's specialties and what it takes to be an effective and successful office manager. It felt as though it was a promising first interview... Until I heard him say to me as I was leaving, "back to the [old job]!" I shrugged it off, although I felt as though it was a little inappropriate. I already know I'm returning to my old job until I hear back from someone else regarding a better job opportunity.

I emailed him what I could find from my college days, even asking him if he would like for me to recreate documents, just to show him my proficiency. He responded really quickly, informing me that he'd look over what he sent me, to continue doing my research as requested, and to send him three references with contact information that he can call.

I guess my question is, does it look like there's a possibility I got the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kodee

16 months ago

It's highly illegal for the office to ask regarding your children. This is an EEO violation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

kodee said: It's highly illegal for the office to ask regarding your children. This is an EEO violation.

Drunk driving is also illegal but that doesn't stop it from happening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Oxon Hill, Maryland

16 months ago

Yes, it looks like there's a POSSIBILITY that you will get the job. But they might say something similar to other promising candidates.

The "homework" bothers me. It sounds like they are trying to get a little free consulting work. This is becoming increasingly common.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

It's not consulting work, though. I mean, I'm not doing anything that I'm going to literally give or relay to them. I'm supposedly doing this for my own benefit. They also suggested that I ask my former supervisor if I could use her as a mentor for the times I need a second opinion on stuff. This isn't a big corporation. It's just a surgical practice. I didn't think that they would be that heartless considering that they look at their potential employees as a person, not as another body to fill a position.

16 months ago

I don't think it's consulting work, though. I mean, I'm not having to report this information I'm researching to them. It's supposed to be for my own benefit. Also, they even suggested to me that I ask my former supervisor if they could be a mentor, a reference for me to go to when I need a second opinion. So I'm not sure. I mean, this is a private practice so I would think they would look at candidates as a person, not a body to fill a position.

16 months ago

Oops. I'm sorry for the double response.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.