Job interviewer said she may call me late hours to come into work?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Jim Jones in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

22 months ago

Hi everybody,

So I had a job interview that went pretty well yesterday. It is for a customer service representative position. The interview was two hours long cause we were chatting away about random stuff. It is a little office environment with about 6-7 people, so it is a close group area. The interviewer/potential boss is a very outgoing person. She was saying there may be times she would have to call me on my days off to come in, even as late as 10:00pm!!!! She also mentioned if she asks me if I CAN come into work and I say no then she will be a little disappointed but won't be that affected. She said that if she NEEDS me to come in then I come in and I have no choice. What gives? I slept on it and the more I think about it, the less I want to work a job where I know the boss will be calling me on my days off. She also mentioned that the last person who was there quit after 3 days. The one good thing is there are no call metrics in this.

I have only ever held call center jobs, so I am used to SOMETIMES being called in on my days off, but I usually just don't answer the phone. Since this is a more close group/office setting, I don't know how comfortable I would be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

I agree with you. I wouldn't want a job where I would be on call after working a regular day.

The fact that the interviewer told you the last person quit after three days should clue you in about the situation. Don't believe what she said about being disappointed if you cannot come in. IMO you will pay for it eventually. In other words, she is not "asking" if you can come in; she is "telling" you to come in.

Good luck with however you proceed with this job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

Jim Jones in Pawtucket, Rhode Island said: Hi everybody,

So I had a job interview that went pretty well yesterday. It is for a customer service representative position. The interview was two hours long cause we were chatting away about random stuff. It is a little office environment with about 6-7 people, so it is a close group area. The interviewer/potential boss is a very outgoing person. She was saying there may be times she would have to call me on my days off to come in, even as late as 10:00pm!!!! She also mentioned if she asks me if I CAN come into work and I say no then she will be a little disappointed but won't be that affected. She said that if she NEEDS me to come in then I come in and I have no choice. What gives? I slept on it and the more I think about it, the less I want to work a job where I know the boss will be calling me on my days off. She also mentioned that the last person who was there quit after 3 days. The one good thing is there are no call metrics in this.

I have only ever held call center jobs, so I am used to SOMETIMES being called in on my days off, but I usually just don't answer the phone. Since this is a more close group/office setting, I don't know how comfortable I would be.

Pass on this job. Sounds like the company is understaffed or mismanaged.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim Jones in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

22 months ago

Thank you for your replies, Paralegal and Bluetea. I already decided not to take the job.

She also mentioned yesterday that every month to month and a half, I would have a 6 day work week with a 9 hour shift on a Saturday (which would make it Mon-Fri 8 hours each day, plus the 9 hours on Saturday). That just can't happen with me. Before we even interviewed, over the phone, I advised her that I was trying to go back to school to take classes part-time and she said she completely understood since her daughter works there as well and goes to school on the side.

At the interview, I even asked if it's possible to expect a call from her at 2:00am to come into work. She said if I don't hear from her after 10:15pm, then I'm home-free. Like do I have to wait to go to bed or something?! I'm actually glad she told me this stuff. Because at an interview, you want to feel the company out. At least she was honest. It was a pretty interesting interview though. She actually had me ask questions about the job before she asked me any interview questions.

As I just finished posting this, I saw that she left me a voicemail on my phone telling me to call her back, but I'm too afraid to call back, ha! She didn't sound happy and I feel like she'll persuade me to take the job or something. LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

She deserves a lot of credit for being up front about the hours. For that reason alone you should return her call. This is one bridge you shouldn't burn.

Good luck with your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

22 months ago

Jim Jones in Pawtucket, Rhode Island said: She said that if she NEEDS me to come in then I come in and I have no choice. What gives? I slept on it and the more I think about it, the less I want to work a job where I know the boss will be calling me on my days off. She also mentioned that the last person who was there quit after 3 days. The one good thing is there are no call metrics in this.

I have only ever held call center jobs, so I am used to SOMETIMES being called in on my days off, but I usually just don't answer the phone. Since this is a more close group/office setting, I don't know how comfortable I would be.

The "Needs" statement is a huge red flag. The lack of metrics does as well but for different reasons. It sounds like a nightmare where you'd be completely reliant on her lack of organization.

I would call her back and diplomatically let her know that you appreciate her candor, but you it's not a good fit for you.

And if you have her office phone number, call when you expect her to be out.

Good luck on finding another opportunity. I think you're smart not to take this one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: The "Needs" statement is a huge red flag. The lack of metrics does as well but for different reasons. It sounds like a nightmare where you'd be completely reliant on her lack of organization.

I would call her back and diplomatically let her know that you appreciate her candor, but you it's not a good fit for you.

And if you have her office phone number, call when you expect her to be out.

Good luck on finding another opportunity. I think you're smart not to take this one.

Huge red flag. I pass on all this oncall, self-starter, must work with little supervision, have own transportation, blah, blah, blah.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

You forgot "flexible," Ms. Tea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

22 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said:

And if you have her office phone number, call when you expect her to be out.

Wow.

I always thought of you as the Miss Manners of Indeed.com. The classy one. The good daughter, the one who never curses, who's always proper, never has a hair out of place, and never tried alcohol nor tobacco.

Now I could see Blue giving this advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: And if you have her office phone number, call when you expect her to be out.
Good idea! At least the OP will have returned the call. That's all that needs to be done. IMO that's important, considering the interviewer's unusual candor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Jones in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

22 months ago

^ Thanks for the tips, everyone. So I did try calling her and had to leave a voicemail. I thanked her for taking the time out of her schedule to interview me. I said that due to some scheduling concerns/circumstances, I could not take the job offer if she was planning on offering it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Marloo in Regina, Saskatchewan

22 months ago

You dodged a bullet there! 6 months from now you'd be dodging her calls while on interviews elsewhere, and from the sounds of it she'd be checking up on you like a jealous girlfriend hahaha.

I use to have a job that called me when I was gone for the day, on lunch, day off etc and I never answered the call if it was random.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

22 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Wow.

I always thought of you as the Miss Manners of Indeed.com. The classy one. The good daughter, the one who never curses, who's always proper, never has a hair out of place, and never tried alcohol nor tobacco.

Now I could see Blue giving this advice.

Heh. So many things I could say to that, but I learned early about how anything you say on the internet can and will be held against you (back before color monitors were in vogue). If I kept a swear jar, I'd be set for retirement. I don't smoke, though. :)

Anyway, in this case, Jim mentioned the prospective employer wasn't happy and he wanted to avoid the pressure. With so many red flags described by Jim, that's a confrontation best avoided. I can easily see her calling him back repeatedly too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim Jones in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

22 months ago

^ Yea I would like to avoid confrontation in this case LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

22 months ago

Jim Jones in Pawtucket, Rhode Island said: ^ Yea I would like to avoid confrontation in this case LOL

Smart guy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Grant013 in Astoria, New York

22 months ago

When medical professionals are "on call," they're home and get paid whether they get called to come in to work, OR NOT. I don't care what field I am in, so if I'm home all day on call or with my friends "on call," you better pay me for that day.If not, then what you want is a "Jump when I say jump" situation. You want me to be a sucker and come in at a moment's notice. But then you better pay if you want me to play.

Sounds like b.s. You want me on call? You better be paying for that day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim Jones in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

22 months ago

^ I know. They could at least do that much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.