Low-balled myself - Advice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

sanderson131 in San Francisco, California

79 months ago

Hi all,

So here's my situation. I've been looking for Java software engineering positions in the San Francisco Bay Area for about 6 weeks now. I recently applied for a position that asked for a salary requirement, and not wanting to get screened out for not following directions, I specified $80k. Unfortunately, I low-balled myself for fear of rejection, and at that time didn't have a full understanding of what salaries are like in the area.

Upon looking at various sites, it looks like the average salary for engineers in the area is around 100k. Of course, this includes large companies, people with Master's degrees, etc. I only have a two year degree, am applying at a small company, but have 5yrs of experience.

I received an offer from the company, but they offered me (surprise!) 80k.

My question is... has this scenario happened to any of you, and if so, were you successful in negotiating a higher salary? I want to negotiate, but am sure they will simply point to my cover letter, or use my lacking academic background against me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Engineer08 in Glen Allen, Virginia

79 months ago

You should of said, "my salary requirements are negotiable" instead of giving them specific number. This way, you would of had an option to negotiate your desired salary during or after interview.

You could of talk to them to see if this could be negotiable, you never know unless you try it but I think you need to realize that they might of pick you over others b/c of your low salary requirement. If this is the case then I'm not sure if you want to ask them for more money, this might have negative light on you.

Nowsdays, the experience matters more than any BS degree or even Masters. The reason being is that most companies lack the patience of spending resources on newbi (entry level position) when they could hire someone who could do the job right now.

In today economy where 6 people apply for 1 open position should tell you something. You should be greatful that they offered you the job.

But anyway, you have to decide what best for you in the end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dana in Charlotte, North Carolina

79 months ago

What are some of the websites you used to look up salaries?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Dana in Charlotte, North Carolina said: What are some of the websites you used to look up salaries?

Indeed.com, salary.com, and payscale.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

sanderson131 in San Francisco, California said: Indeed.com, salary.com, and payscale.com

Also glass door.com

For some reason this site won't let me use "glass" and "door" together... it recognizes it as "vulgar language or person attack"...

79 months ago

And to update this thread... I was able to negotiate, and get a much better salary close to what I deserve (87k).

So advice for others: Always delay any mention of salary as long as possible, and provided your potential employer wants you, you're always able to negotiate and should always receive what you're worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Erin Myers in Reseda, California

79 months ago

sanderson131 in San Francisco, California said: And to update this thread... I was able to negotiate, and get a much better salary close to what I deserve (87k).

So advice for others: Always delay any mention of salary as long as possible, and provided your potential employer wants you, you're always able to negotiate and should always receive what you're worth.

Good advice, I do the same, anytime I've been offered a Retail Management Job, I do my homework and scour the Internet to get a good feel on what the payscale for that Company is.

jporter8 in Fremont, California

65 months ago

If anyone needs help negotiating your salary, this page helped me a lot:

www.programmerinterview.com/index.php/job-advice/negotiating-an-offer-for-a-new-job/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Blue69 in Elgin, Illinois

59 months ago

Hello, i did the same thing i low balled myself and after doing homework found that the salary i quoted was about 30K less than what i found they pay. How were you able to negotiate for a higher salary?
Any advise is appreciated.

ew0054 in Montclair, New Jersey

40 months ago

Take the job, keep looking for more. Move if you get offered 10k more. Rinse and repeat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

40 months ago

sanderson131 in San Francisco, California said: And to update this thread... I was able to negotiate, and get a much better salary close to what I deserve (87k).

Congratulations. Those jobs pay about the same here in Texas, but the cost of living is lower. Just FYI if you ever want to buy a house or such!

Calfornian in Hayward, California

40 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas said: Congratulations. Those jobs pay about the same here in Texas, but the cost of living is lower. Just FYI if you ever want to buy a house or such!

This thread was created almost 3 years ago, in the big decline. $87K would be, mundane, for a decent Java guy today, especially in the Valley or San Francisco.

There's a huge gap between having the right skill(s), and not, in that market.

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

40 months ago

87K would be a windfall for me. But you raise a good point. I don't understand why that post was bumped. I mean if the bumper is in a similar situation yes, but otherwise????

AMGH in Allentown, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

I am nurse that is also a personal care home administrator. I recently was contacted by a Personal Care home owner. He told me he found my resume online and he was interested in speaking with me. He just purchased the home and wanted to replace the administrator because things where not working out. We could not meet at the site. We had to meet at his Doctor's office(he is an MD). Ok, that seemed odd. I interviewed with him and his wife. They both liked me and set up a second interview in 2 weeks to meet the other partners. During that interview I was told I was interviewing for an administrator of their Memory Care unit. This threw me back. But, I went on with the interview. Two days after the interview the doctor/owner called me. He thought that I did not have enough experience for an administrator position. I only have 5 plus years. He offered me an floor nurse position where I would have to float shifts. I was also offered $20,000 less that I currently make. I declined the position.

I suspect I was interviewed under false pretenses. That the administrator position was never available. They just wanted a nurse. When I declined the position. I told them politely why.
They wasted my time as well as insulted me for thinking they could get me so cheap.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.