Negotiating when salary is given up front

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

jmk in Tempe, Arizona

18 months ago

I've noticed some job interviews I've had recently have given me the salary up front.

"This job pays such and such"

This doesn't seem to leave much room for negotiation.

Just generally, is it a good idea to ask if nogotiation is possible in this situation? If so, how to go about doing it?

More specifically, if one of the job skills is listed as 'strong negotiation skills', do you think that the interviewer giving the salary up front might be some kind of test? What would you do?

Listing your experience as an interviewer or interviewee would be helpful when answering. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

jmk in Tempe, Arizona said: I've noticed some job interviews I've had recently have given me the salary up front.

"This job pays such and such"

This doesn't seem to leave much room for negotiation.

Just generally, is it a good idea to ask if nogotiation is possible in this situation? If so, how to go about doing it?

More specifically, if one of the job skills is listed as 'strong negotiation skills', do you think that the interviewer giving the salary up front might be some kind of test? What would you do?

Listing your experience as an interviewer or interviewee would be helpful when answering. Thanks.

You can ask politely if the salary is negotiable. However, in most cases, its not. In the case of the public sector, its not negotiable. Take it or leave it.

Now if you are answering that question in an online app, the secret is to not ask for the moon. If you ask for too much then the computer will automatically reject you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.