No Response after 2nd Interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 352)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

anonymous2010 in silicon valley, California

53 months ago

Jobhunter123 in Evanston, Illinois said: I applied for an analyst job at a leading company July 1st. Got called to set up an interview two days later. I went in last Friday for a two hour interview with a recruiter (30 minutes) and then proceeded to meeting one hiring manager and her colleague. I think it went pretty well, but towards the end, they gave me this elaborate analytical test which sort of caught me off guard. They told me they will continue to interview other candidates in the next two to three weeks and then make a decision. I got a call this Monday to set up another interview with two other hiring managers. Went in yesterday for an hour session with the two other interviewers. One of them is another manager from the same department who has a similar role open on her team, she told me the managers like to "share candidates" sometimes. After that she brought me to the director of the department (a.k.a.the other hiring manager), who turns out to be very nice, we just did a lot pleasant chitchat, but he wrapped up the interview rather quickly after 20-ish minutes. Right before I left, he told me he hopes to speak to me soon, and added "I wanted to meet you because the other guys are very excited about you."

I'm assuming that's a good sign, right? And they should make a fairly quick decision since they brought me back so quickly despite their claim to interview more candidates in the next 2 to 3 weeks?

What do you guys think?

Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JobSecurity in Plano, Texas

53 months ago

A similar case - I had 2 rounds of good interviews with this company. The hiring manager after interviewing me unfortunately went on a vacation for over 2 weeks....and to make things worse the recruiter who was talking to me (nicely and professionally) quit a few weeks back! Now I've to deal with a new recruiter who doesn't know me! I've called this new recruiter a couple of times now and even though he is talking nicely to me, he just keeps telling me that the hiring manager has taken no decision yet. Last time he told me that there is too much overload since the previous recruiter quit and that's why things are slow but assured me that I was NOT OUT. I sent a follow-up email to the hiring manager directly last week (after getting a little impatient)but no response! Its over 4 weeks now (!) since the hiring manager came back from his vacation but nothing seems to be happening! I wonder how to interpret this behavior from the recruiter and the hiring manager. Should I trust what this new recruiter is telling me?? Do I stay optimistic... or just forget? My optimism is partly due to the fact a senior level manager in that company forwarded my resume to this hiring manager and I expect at least a Yes or No response from this company. Appreciate your take :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

B42 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

53 months ago

I feel your pain. I'm jobless right now too and submitted my resume to a company for a job that I really wanted (this company has thousands of employees across the U.S.) I got an e-mail the very next day and the HR guy asked if I'd have some time to talk. I got back to him within a couple hours of him writing the e-mail and told him my availability. It's 2 weeks later and nothing ever happened. I even called and left him a message. I can see the writing on the wall; but whatever happened to just common courtesy of saying "Sorry, we're going in a different direction"? I feel like the carrot was dangling and it was cruelly yanked away. Why get back to me at all then?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JobSecurity in Plano, Texas

53 months ago

Thanks for your responses! I am feeling much better now :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SuzanK in Southfield, Michigan

53 months ago

I recently interviewed for a job and thought the interview went well. I was contacted by phone today by the supervisor indicating that they chose another candidate and thanking me. I asked for feedback and she provided me with some negative feedback but did so as nicely as possible. I was very surprised by one remark in particular because the concern she mentioned was actually an area that is a strength of mine. I thanked her. While I am disappointed I need to really look at how I respond to questions. In rethinking the interview I feel I may have undersold myself to avoid seeming boastful. Any thoughts on this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Engineer in Gastonia, North Carolina

52 months ago

Same Dilemma

Got a phone interview
2 days later - first interview 2hrs
3 weeks later - second interview 1hr (between myself and two other candidates)
The manager informed me he would contact me by last Friday.
Thursday I sent him an email with an advertisement that he put in a magazine and had not seen yet. He thanked me and said he would let me know soon.

Today is Monday after the Friday and no word yet.

What do you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Miami, Florida

52 months ago

Here's the thing.. The job may not even exist yet as some companies are running so lean that they are looking for work themselves and will staff up when they have a contract.

Another problem we run into are HR departments that keep themselves "busy" by being proactive on pure speculation about what the boss may need.

I have also seen paralysis on hiring from uncertainty about the economy.

Not contacting people is inexcusable but we have to act as if we never had the interview or our brains will explode. Whatever you do don't wait for the phone to ring.. Keep looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Stlmo in Minneapolis, Minnesota

52 months ago

I was contacted by a Team Leader in early April for a postition that would be avail in Late May or June. In the middle of May she again contacted me; she asked if I was still interested in the postion and the that the availablity was pushed back until July. During this time she continued to contact making sure that I was still interested and essentially having several phone interviews. At the end of July she informed me that the postion has opened and that I would need to apply online. She sent my info to HR and they contacted me for a first interview. After the first interview, the second interview, and finaly the third my contact would be the HR generalist that was in the panel interview. I left the final interview feeling good, they made little jokes about another person on the team having my name and I should consider what I want to be called. I waited 10 days then left a voice mail for the HR person for any updates on my status. After another 10 days went by with no word, I left another voice mail with her, still no word. This Team Leader has consistantly been in contact with me since early April, she was well aware of my qualifications early on, and here at the end of the process, I am treated like this. Sorry to be unprofessional, but WTF??? Please offer me some insight, I have come to realization that I didn't get the position, but I want an answer from her.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

The HR person the designated as my contact for the rest of the hiring process will not return my calls. I have not tried to contact the Team Leader. Should I try the Team Leader? They owe me a verbal answer, I realize I most likely did not get the job, but I feel the need to give me answer why the wasted my time for 5 months. How far and high should I take this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

You're right, I just needed to hear it from impartial party. Thanks for being a voice of reason. The team leader made it seem that the interview process was a formaltiy. So I developed a "relationship" with the position and now I feel like I have been stood-up on prom night. Sorry for getting melodromatic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

L.R. in Detroit, Michigan

52 months ago

I disagree with the advice that you shouldn't follow up. Of course it's best not to over-do it but I'm really surprised that people are afraid of even calling back. What will it hurt? If you're picked and they remember you, that's great. If not, keep marching on until you find a new opportunity.

I went on TWO interviews within less than a week of each other last week. The first one took place on the 12th, which was a Thursday. This was a 2nd interview and I was told I would hear something within a week. The 19th passed with no call, so I took it upon myself to call the store the following day.

The lovely HR secretary apologized for not getting back to me and told me that no 3rd interviews had been set up due to the unavailability of the GM's. She told me she'd call Saturday (which is virtually unheard of, and even I doubted she would) or Monday.

Lo and behold, I get a call at 12:30 this afternoon scheduling a 3rd interview for this upcoming Tuesday. I'm not sure if they would have called had I not beat them to the punch, but it's a testament to keep tabs on all the interviews you go on. Don't send countless e-mail after e-mail, but also don't settle for underlings or people who don't really have a say in your employment feed you a bulls*** line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

L.R. in Detroit, Michigan

52 months ago

There are companies that are genuinely swamped and need a reminder. I've held more than a few jobs in my time and 4 out of 5 of them needed a reminder from myself. They didn't purposely try to forget me; I've been interviewed by companies that also made it clear that after they interviewed me, they had no intention of hiring me. So after the one follow-up call, I never called again.

It's all about using common sense at the end of the day. I really don't believe in going on an interview and sitting on your hands to wait for the employer to call you back (if a considerable amount of time has passed). Like I said in another post, if you're too scared to call and check up on the status, believe that those that are in the running won't be and you just might be out of a position.

Not every situation is the same and I know that, but resting on your laurels is just as bad as harassing the HR department. It's best to find a balance and if they don't show any interest period, then it's always best to move on. As far as working with people who were adamant about not hiring you, it's irrelevant once you have your foot in the door. If you're a hard worker and document every thing you do, in the event that someone wants to stir up some drama, you're covered. It's tedious and sometimes ridiculous but it's also a necessity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Lauryn in Detroit, Michigan

52 months ago

@Stlmo

It sounds familiar. I've had that happen before.

It seems to me if an offer is going to be made, it's going to be made, at the most, within a month's time. Less than that, preferably. I had one company actually call me to schedule an interview and I wasn't able to take the call. They left a voice mail and I called back the next day, but suddenly the HR had "gone on vacation." They told me two weeks, so I waited two weeks before calling back. I still wasn't able to speak to the person who called me in the first place, so I walked away.

I would rather an employer tell me emphatically that I didn't get the job than to be strung along.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

lupe in Miami, Florida

51 months ago

this is my story, I applied for a position , got a phone call, had an interview (the position was for cosmetology instructor) at the interview i was told that i had to give a demo to a group of instructors from the career college, and i had to do a computerized exam,, i did the twenty min demo and completed the exam, i was considered an asset to the company (exact words) and passed the exam with a high score (even told how most people fail the first time around) after the team leader explained that i would need my beauty school transcripts from 26 yrs ago, and explained that they needed to start training on sep 27 so that i could start teaching my class on oct 4, I sent what i thought was my transcript,, turns out it was my license certification. they told me to contact my old school and get it, but the school no longer exists and there are no permanent records, the assistant to the team leader told me that they would see how the corporate office would handle it.. i waited for a couple days and forgot about the job, a week went by and I had another interview set up with another job ( not half as appealing ) and all of a sudden I get a call from the team leader, she tells me that the corporate office had an alternative, I would have to contact the state board of professional regulation and get all my records from them sent by email to her and the educational director.. I did it asap (they had it by the next day) I called them to make sure they received the documents, they said they had received it and that was all they needed. they were just waiting for confirmation from the corporate office..that was last wed. I decided to call the team leader on the following monday just to follow up and see what was going on, she said they were awaiting the confirmation and hoping to get me in as soon as possible for my backround check and drug test.. so i can start training. mind you.. that was monday, its friday.. Im feeling hopeless again, any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stlrockcity in Chicago Heights, Illinois

51 months ago

I hope it feels good!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous_MA in Braintree, Massachusetts

51 months ago

anonymous2010 in silicon valley, California said: Listen Inpatient in Lake Forest, California: this is the reality of today's job market. NOONE gets back with you EVER, EVER, EVER!!!! They will interview you, once, twice and nothing. You are not alone so don't take is personal. The market sucks. Very little professional follow-up courtesy.

Take a deep breath and move on!

No employer responds to thank you mails. I make it a point to send out thank you mails after every interview. I have landed jobs where the hirings manager did not respond to my thank you mails and I have not landed a job where the hiring manager did get back on a +ve note inresponse to a thank you after interview mail.
It means nothing at all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous_MA in Braintree, Massachusetts

51 months ago

I have another question. What if 2 out of 3 references get back to the prospective employer with very positive references and the 3rd one seems to be unavailable? The employer does not get back to you regarding this...does it mean that they are satisfied with what they got and do not need any more references?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Help me in Auburn, Washington

50 months ago

I got a call from recruiter two weeks ago about my resume that I submitted to them.
The recruiter called ,asked some questions at the end she told me she will sit up personal interview with the manager after 2 or 3 days ,I never hard from her , I sent ,I send follow up letter to ask about the interview ,I never heard from them .
Did they change their minds, because my experience from overseas .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: It probably has nothing to do with your overseas experience. Agency recruiters are notorious for not following up after meeting candidates. Recruiters are also notorious for flat-out lying to candidates about setting up company interviews.

Don't bother with that recruiter again. Just keep looking for other jobs.

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: It probably has nothing to do with your overseas experience. Agency recruiters are notorious for not following up after meeting candidates. Recruiters are also notorious for flat-out lying to candidates about setting up company interviews.

Don't bother with that recruiter again. Just keep looking for other jobs.

I received email from the same recruiter who interviewed me by the phone, She sent the message to my email address but with wrong name!!! regarded same job I had applied for it .
I ignored the wrong name, and sent her email to let her know that ,we had spoken by the phone and I waited to sit up the interview.
She didn’t bother to reply me email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Liberty in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Followups do no good if the company doesn't want you. Companies waste no time in following up with candidates in which they're interested. It's that simple.

Consider that your call will likely come at an inopportune time for the interviewer. Your call may not be taken and will likely be shoved off to voicemail. Your call is not returned. So you keep trying. Your calls will be shoved off to voicemail again and again. After receiving several of your voicemails, you will have antagonized the interviewer(s).

Or else your e-mails may not be read or be blocked by firewalls or spam filters. Even if your e-mails penetrate these blockades, just consider that studies show busy people spend much of their days fielding e-mail. Your e-mail is one more message they must field. Why bother someone with whom you must make nice with another e-mail?

Finally, no amount of following-up can rescue your candidacy if the company isn't interested. Also consider that if you're hired you would have to work with the underlings who have fed you bulshiit lines. They will remember you. They merit your respect for that reason.

I agree and disagree with your advise. The email/voicemail systems have created a faceless process which is sad for the applicant. I believe that once they have called you in for an interview, they are obligated to tell you if they have hired or not. Especially, if you had a 2nd or 3rd interview. The market has caused employers to be rude and inconsiderate. If as you say they waste no time calling if they are interested, then you should continue to call them until they tell you the job is filled. If enough applicants proceed in this fashion then they will start notifying as soon as a hire is made just to prevent the contact. Emails and voicemail should alwats be responded to by someone in the organization....these are desperate times...employers know this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Wow. Agreed. The question is what is a reasonably amount of time. I had an interview on Friday in which I met with three people (one COO) and they claimed to love me. Was told to visit the branch that I would be working that Monday (did) the Director explained the site and introduced me to people. I was then told to call the (COO) within an hour (did)...he was not in the office, was directed to his voice-mail. No return call. Sent a thank you that Tuesday (email) no response. Called on Wednesday (because the COO told me to call), left another message...no call. Finished with follow-up. I think the issue is salary he asked what my last was and I told him. I think he is waiting to see how much I follow-up so he can low-ball me with an offer. I started looking and sending things out again. Point is each manager is different. The question I intend to close every future interview with is "What type of follow-up do you prefer? Thank you cards/letters etc. are only valuable if they are read. I am going back to basic. Interview....wait....interview....look.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Time...right. I agree with the idea that everything is just conversation until they offer you the job, but I also think that with the intro of online applying managers thought they could eliminate the HR contact and handle the process themselves. Now they have their secretary screening applications and setting up interviews, which is crazy if they have no HR experience. This is what is causing the delays, inexperienced recruiters. That is why I say if they call you in for an interview and a week has past and you have heard nothing, move on. But still call once a week until they tell you that the position is filled. What difference does it make anyway if you are still looking. If you ask if you can follow-up and they say "call Amanda (Secretary) and you call her and she says..he is not in leave a message...what then...keep calling Amanda???? By the way, this venting really helps...knowing others are in the same boat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

frustrated-phd in San Francisco, California

50 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I figure as a rule of thumb no more than ten to fifteen business days max. I move on thereafter if I've heard nothing. Companies will not waste any time nor spare any effort in calling you if they're interested.

It depends actually. Many times companies will rank-order applicants after interviewing them. What if they make an offer to their top applicant, and the top applicant asks for 10 days to think about it and rejects the company? Then they will move on to the next candidate. In that case, someone may hear from a company 3-4 weeks after an interview. Recently one of my friends received a job offer a month after interviewing with a company. I guess people are less likely to reject a job offer these days than when economy is in better shape, but still, it does happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Speaking of my interview, I just got a call from the COO apologizing for the delay in getting back to me. Now I am waiting for his call again (he left me his cell, I called he was on call), you know the drill. In the meantime, another company just called me (similar nature 5 miles closer) asking me for an interview? Go figure. I sent that resume two weeks ago and just got the call. See I have issue with that. From where I stand the entire hiring process should be completed in 10 days.....10 days from the date they post and make the offer. I do not care about corporate and there this and that...rubbish...I judge how a company will treat me during the hire process....I like this guy and the company seems decent, but he needs to delegate to HR....he is putting too much pressure on himself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Again, same company. The COO called today right and said he would call me back in 10 minutes (1 hour ago). This same thing happened on interview day with this gentlemen (nice guy, really)..there were about 5 of us in the lobby all waiting to meet with him on different positions! We all waited about 1 1/2 after our appointment times because he was on a conference call! No applications were given out, we just waited. They (the company) was gracious enough to have other staff members meet with us while we waited. But my point is...usually when there is a delay of weeks and days it is because the decision rest with one person who is handling 20 different things (or one not experienced enough to move forward). So when you say that there is this "interview etiquette" that must be followed to suceed. I say that in an Internet era, some people need to be tugged more than others and you gage those types during the first interview. Time is money....your money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

JobHunter in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am in the same boat, with a local company here. They contacted me after screening my resume and had a wonderful first interview and within two days called me for the second interview and after the interview, they contacted my employer for references. Since then my current employer is kinda angry with me and I have not heard back from them or even a no mail. During the interview, HR mentioned they have to fill up the position with in a week and its been almost three full weeks. I did send an email to HR after follow up emails last week and have not heard anything. I feel they owe me a mail or at least a phone call to say you suck and not interested. However I have lost all my hopes...

I always type at the bottom of my references sheet "Do not contact unless offer of employment is imminent"...they should have never contacted your current employer unless they were ready to offer you the job. Call them one more time....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Worried in Clarksville, Maryland

50 months ago

So I had a 1st interview 2 weeks ago on Wednesday and it went really well it was about 45 mins. I then asked her what the next step was in the interviewing process and she said that there would be a 2nd interview and then an offer. And then said that she would contact me on Monday or Tuesday of that following week for a 2nd interview. She called me on Tues morning asking for me to come in on Thursday for a 2nd interview with her and 2 other employers, her boss and her boss' boss.

The 2nd interview with 3 of them also went well. It was 1 hr and 30 mins and I asked her when she would be making a decision by and she said really soon. She said that it was between me and 1 other person whose interview would be on Friday, the next day. And said that it would be a really difficult decision.

It's already Tuesday and I haven't received a phone call.. Am I still in the running if I haven't heard back yet? She said Monday or Tuesday this week and it's already Tuesday..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

What do you mean continue with me.. as in give me a job offer? There's no 3rd interview or anything.

And the thing is, I've been on 15 interviews and half of them respond within 2 weeks time via email or phone but then there's the rest where there's no contact.

And all throughout these 2 interviews for this 1 job that said she would call me Monday or Tuesday of this week, everything went smoothly. They liked my stuff and I answered all the questions well.

I guess I can wait another day, but if she said she would contact me EARLY this week, should I give up when I don't hear back by Thursday?

50 months ago

Should I bother sending a 3rd follow up email? I sent one the day after the 1st interview and then for the 2nd one that night. Should I send a 3rd email on later this week if I don't hear back from them by Thursday?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

S_Palma in West Harrison, New York

49 months ago

Worried in Clarksville, Maryland said: Should I bother sending a 3rd follow up email? I sent one the day after the 1st interview and then for the 2nd one that night. Should I send a 3rd email on later this week if I don't hear back from them by Thursday?

Sending too many E-mails will definitely appear as a sign of desperation and worse yet, impatience and frustration. Companies tend to get annoyed with too many E-mails. I know how you feel, but companies tend to have a lack of patience and understanding regarding employment seekers. When a company wants you, they will scoop you up pretty quickly. If you send E-mails, they will know that you are dependent on their position and obviously you are not being offered employment elsewhere. This will make a company drag out the hiring process even longer and gives them more time to interview other more qualified candidates. They know that you are not going anywhere or getting any other offers because of these E-mail reminders. They also know that you are in no position to bargain your salary negotiations. They can pay you lower wages.
A company does not want to hire an employee out of sympathy or because they are very nice by sending polite E-mails, and because they will even work cheaper. They want to see Independence, Backbone, Fortitude, Courage and Determination. These are qualities which many companies respect. Getting that respect is very important. Salary negotiations are based on this respect.

The strategy is to keep them guessing, don't volunteer too much information, show your confidence, make them want to seek you out, and continue to be agressive in your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

S_Palma in West Harrison, New York

49 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Your basis for those assertions? Or are they simply your opinions?

I submit companies want to see cooperativeness, competence, self-starting reliability and professionalism.

Strictly my opinion. If the multiple E-mails and followup are not generating a job offer. than it must be other qualities that companies desire.

49 months ago

So it's been 2 weeks since the 2nd interview and 1 week since she said she would call and let me know.. I have talked to others about this and they said that I should call and speak directly with her to see if she has made a decision. Since it was only 2 people that she was deciding from, me and someone else, I should have gotten a reply back, right? That is what everyone I have talked to said should've happened and that it's rude of her not to call or have any contact if there were only 2 people she was looking at. It's not like she had to get back to 7 people...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tavo in Saint Petersburg, Florida

49 months ago

Three months ago, I received an e-mail from a local company requesting a personal interview for the position of test engineer. I responded and I went to the interview. I was really happy since I have been looking for a long time and it was the first time to get an interview. The interview went well and the manager told me that I would hear from them within a month. After I left the interview I sent a thank you e-mail. A month later, I get a call from the manager, which gave the interview, telling me that he was quitting the company and he was recommending me for the position since he got a great impression of me during the interview and I was qualify for the position. Then I got a second interview with the president of the company. My interview went well and the president of the company told me that he was very impressed and the job was almost mine, but he will have to interview other candidates and he will give me an answer within two weeks. I sent a thank you e-mail. After a month, I heard from the company and they called me for a third interview. I went to the interview and I talk to a different manager this time. Once again, I did well in the interview and I sent a thank you e-mail. Since it has been a month since my third interview, I decided to send a follow up e-mail. The response I got was that they may need to interview more people and possibly I will have to be interviewed a fourth or fifth time before they can made their minds up. Am I wasting my time with this company? Should I move on? It has been three months since my first interview, but during the second interview the president of the company told me that they needed some one to start working as soon as possible. Thanks for your advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tavo in Tampa, Florida

49 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: It's hard to tell sometimes if companies are sincere or if they are only stringing candidates along. It may depend on the authority level of the job, but IMO companies hope candidates get sick of repeated, redundant interviews and protracted hiring processes, and hope some will drop out. They figure attrition, or interview fatigue, if you will, will narrow their list until their last man/woman is standing. Yeah, it is stupid.

As the expression goes, don't place your eggs in one basket. In the meantime, time waits for no one. Neither should you. Just keep looking. Put the company on the back burner. If the company should call and you're still interested, you can go from there.

Thanks for your advice.

Pomona in Pomona, California

47 months ago

I received a message from a supervisor regarding a job position that is open. She left me a message. I called her back it's been three days not heard from her.
Should I call her back?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

QA Specialist in Santee, California

47 months ago

All the advice on here is great! and true!! Companies don't care and will never, ever, ever get back to you,,, you might have had the chance to deal with a few nice people who took 30 seconds out of their day to call you for an update but that's only 2% of them and the other 98% you will never hear from. I have been searching for a position for almost a year now and I have gone to over 20 interviews and guess what? maybe 1 or 2 of them actually called or emailed to say I wasn't offered the position! The rest, I have learned to just send thank you emails after the interview and move on!! If they want me that badly, they know how to find me!! I'm starting to think, and this was mentioned in another post also, that companies don't exactly have any "openings"! They just want to make it seem like their business is going great and the need to exact is necessary! I had an HR recruiter tell me 2 months after an interview in July 2010 that the department will just split the job responsibilities among the other department members, make them work over 8 hours a day (they were all salary employees btw!) until 2011 and then start to look into interviewing people again!!
I have been interviewing since February 2010 and none of the positions i have interview for have been filled! They are still being reposted online every week!! What does that tell you? And these are big companies with 500+ employees!

Cleve in Atlanta, Georgia

47 months ago

I took off work 3 times for interview for a job. I am a recent graduate. I have not heard a response from the company. My job now is a warehouse worker. If I keep taking off, I might lose this little income to pay my car and insurance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

yoyo in Irvington, New York

47 months ago

I had two interviews with two different companies recently. Competitors of each other. The interview with the first company went well but they were looking for someone more specific. They strung me along for a month before I finally heard a decision. I was the first person they interviewed for the position and had other applicants to look at. I hate being the first to be interviewed for a position than being compared against for a stronger applicant. So in that sense, whether they got back to me or not I was going to find out what the decision was and why I didn't get it. I had to find out so I can secure the position in the future. After repeated calls and emails, I finally found out and realized they chose someone else. They told me why and kept it proactive and I don't feel bad about bothering them so much in this sense.
The interview with the second company went well also. I had a second interview with them just recently the day after I sent a thank you letter. I used that time to go over some things I could've answered better in the first interview. "Meeting post-mortem". Right away the gentleman replied setting up a second interview. I didn't do too well because it was a technical interview with a panel of people and I can't know everything. Now I'm waiting. He said he'd get back to me by the end of this week and its Monday. Based on my experience so far I agree with people saying if a company wants you they'll pick you up asap. They obviously didn't wait anytime in replying to me for a second interview, why not do the same to secure me? I feel like I'm a second option however reflecting on how I didn't do too well in the second round and how people of my skill set aren't easy to find in this area. So we'll see what happens and again I'll ask them why if rejected. I just can't stand the wait, but honestly, if you feel your the second option, then you most likely won't get the job because the first wouldn't have applied if not interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

QA Specialist in El Cajon, California

47 months ago

Pomona in Pomona, California said: I received a message from a supervisor regarding a job position that is open. She left me a message. I called her back it's been three days not heard from her.
Should I call her back?

Call her one more time, leave a message. She most likely won't call you back,,, people like that are not so great to work for! Trust me, I've worked for individuals who were so unprofessional during the hiring process and they remained the same! They don't get better or nicer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

YorkiePud in Gardendale, Alabama

47 months ago

I interviewed for a company a while ago through an agency and I never heard from them again. Although, during the interview I had a feeling they didn't even know what they wanted, so that was a complete waste of my time. I wish companies would tell people what they really want, if you aren't hiring - don't drag people in for interviews or if you are hiring and you are going to hire someone else, at least tell people

QA Specialist in El Cajon, California

47 months ago

I agree with the Legal Professional above! Being the first one to interview will never get you the job! Especially right now,,, Companies take months to hire 1 person,, they interview at least 7 people for 1 position,, don't expect them to remember you even 2 weeks later. I have been the first to interview for every position I've been interested in (maybe 10 positions) and now I know to schedule my interview after a few other candidates. How is this possible? They always tell me that i'm the first person they are contacting and I get all excited that i've impressed them and want to go first but now i'm going to let others go first by scheduling the interview at least a week from the day they call to schedule. Hiring managers are not going to remember you,, especially if they take their sweet time to make a decision! It's not brain surgery!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patiently Waiting in New York, New York

47 months ago

My interviewer at a company I had applied to contacted me 2 weeks after my second interview notifying me that the company was trying to bring the hiring process to a close and that should there be a 3rd round of interviews, I would be asked back. That contact was made 3 weeks ago. I am conflicted as to whether I should wait it out longer or follow up.

Patiently Waiting in New York, New York

47 months ago

My interviewer at a company I had applied to contacted me 2 weeks after my second interview notifying me that the company was trying to bring the hiring process to a close and that should there be a 3rd round of interviews, I would be asked back. That contact was made 3 weeks ago. I am conflicted as to whether I should wait it out longer or follow up.

MirloZ(www.careerinfo411.com) in Brookline, Massachusetts

47 months ago

Hi,
You have sent too many emails asking them where they are in the decision making process.
Just because they tell you that they are going to make a decision by the end of the week or whatever time period they give you, it doesn’t mean that they have to do that. There are so many things that are going on in a company that sometimes things get delayed, and they need more time to make a decision.
Many companies would rather prolong the hiring process than to rush into a decision when it comes to hiring someone new. You as a candidate have to match their criteria, and i am sure that they try very hard to figure out where you would fit in the company and how you would add to their organization. Also 90% of the time they are looking for someone that would stay with them for a while. They don’t want to waste time, resources and money to hire someone that is going to leave after 1 year.
You have to understand that there are so many variables that impact their decision making. So, you should be patient and wait.

I always advise people to wait at least 4 extra days after the date they have given you. For larger companies I advise to wait an extra week before you contact them, since they deal with a high volume of applications. Then you should send one email to the HR asking politely about the process, and that’s it. No one else should be contacted (Thank you letters are a must. Send them to all the people that interviewed you and the HR person that contacted you). If they liked you and they thought that you would be a great addition to the team, they would have definitely contacted you.

In the mean time keep looking for other positions, you might find something better.

Best of Luck!!!
MirloZ (CareerInfo411.com)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

a20 havoc in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

Displaced:

Thanks for your input. My situation is a little different. Following a personal referral, I was called by the top man in the division where I would be hired. Good first phone call, resulting in an email from HR one week later setting up a day for an interview, with the time of day to be sent later. 10 days later and no further word. The HR contact said she "needed to call about it." This interview will require flying or driving to get there so I would expected a faster follow-up. The interview day is tentatively Feb. 25th. What do you think--give it until close of business Monday/Tuesday and write it off after that? Put in one last call to the division head? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Biologist in Los Angeles, California

46 months ago

So they expect you to fly/drive or whatever for an interview that is only set up as "tentative"? That's crazy! Let me tell you... Don't get your hopes up for a company like this! They probably are not even looking to hire anyone but for some reason they like making applicants run back and forth. You can go to the interview without having a sure schedule but I wouldn't expect anything to come out of it.

a20 havoc in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

Actually, the same day I posted here I got the interview schedule. All that worry for nothing. I did my homework and prepared, but didn't get the offer. No worries. It was good experience and now I have valuable intel for the next one.

I'm not going to give up. I made it to the final stages of a corporate hiring process on the merit of my resume and cover letter and my reputation in my field. I know that I can compete in the big leagues. I didn't "win" this time--but that's not all because of me.

I'm driving on.

MirloZ (CareerInfo411.com) in Brookline, Massachusetts

46 months ago

Hi Sam,
You have done all the right things until now, but do not contact anyone else about a followup.
You should wait until the HR person contacts you. You have done your part. You have to understand that the hiring process is complex and it requires a lot of time. I am sure if they think you are a good candidate for the position they will contact you. Give them some time. In the mean time you should keep looking around for other positions. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Best of luck
MirloZ (CareerInfo411.com)

Sam in Los Angeles, California

46 months ago

Thanks!

The CEO gave me his business card before I left his office after the interview. I don't expect much after the 3rd week not hearing from them, but I'd like a feedback if I don't get the job. How/when can I proceed for that?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.