Predict my fate: no or no go?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

alchemist in St. Louis, Missouri

39 months ago

I applied for a position in my field that closed in early September--Job A. They contacted me in late December for a phone interview with the hiring manager (a Director) & the division manager. They said they had 200 apps & had narrowed it down to 12 for interviews. They asked me to submit a portfolio & said they planned to invite 3 for onsite visits.

They invited me to the onsite interview. I'm in St. Louis, the position is in Oregon. They flew me out on Feb 2 so I would have a day+ to see the area before interviewing on Feb 4 & flying home. I interviewed with the director and manager, then had lunch with them & a VP. I think all went well, but it's hard to predict these things. They did tell me that they had invited 4 candidates, but that they might be hiring for 2 positions. One would be a liaison position with outside organizations & I would work with VP in that role.

On Feb 6, they started the background check with an outside firm. Outside firm contacted the 3 professional references they requested & asked 2 of the 3 for a secondary reference, 'someone I wouldn't think of.' They called at least 1 of the 2 secondary references. All should be solid. This is more intense than the usual background. My employment should check out. I completed the coursework for an MA, but did not complete a thesis for a variety of reasons, but I've been careful to specify that status on my resume. My credit is good, albeit not excellent.

The manager emailed all candidates on Monday 2-11 saying they were still deciding & to anticipate hearing something-he hoped-by end of week. It is now Friday, 2-15 & I haven't heard anything.

I'm extremely fortunate that I'm currently employed at a place to which I applied 6 weeks after applying for Job A. Job A is close to 'dream job' status--much better benefits & in my field. I am on pins and needles! Then again, it took 3.5 months for them to interview me the first time.

What say ye? Go or No Go on a job offer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

39 months ago

You can never hold an employer to an assurance of a followup by a date certain. Things come up. Besides, the manager said he "hoped" to lget you know by the end of the week. Also consider that apps for the position closed in September and it's now February. Obviously it's a slow hiring process.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're in the running, but don't stop looking. Also do NOT e-mail or call the manager. The ball is in his court now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

I'm currently employed in a job I applied for after Job A, so I have stopped looking. I would like to get a few years in at the current position before departing. Job A would be too good to pass up, though, if I get the offer.

39 months ago

Fine, but just let the manager call you.

Marloo in Regina, Saskatchewan

39 months ago

Been there, but give yourself until next Friday to basically realize that you didn't get the job. They seem pretty decent with communication so far but if you hear nothing by next week I'd just move on. You could send a final email asking for a status update then but I doubt you'll get a response or one you'll like.

Look on the bright side, your next interview will be a walk in the park compared to that! I've had ones where I had to presentate to the entire company. Nothing after that bothered me much...lol

38 months ago

Update: they hired someone else for the PA position, but invited me out for another interview with the VP for the liaison position. HR guy also set me up with a realtor's tour the day before, since I'm not from the area. The interview went ok -- a solid B -- but I talked with my contact while at the airport, and he said that they would be offering me a position. This was March 11.

However, he also said that the offer had to be run through HR, and that it may be a 'week or two' before I hear from HR. I know that the main HR guy was out of the office until March 13, and they also work a 9-10 schedule, so every other Friday is a nonworkday. Today marks one week. Hoping to hear from HR guy soon.

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

38 months ago

Nice of you to follow up here.

I find this whole process nauseating and almost an inquisition. Secondary references?

You must have the patience of a saint.

For employers to put candidates through this process is so thoughtless as to their psyche. Seems they've been much more thoughtful the second time around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Alchemist in St. Louis, Missouri said: Update: they hired someone else for the PA position, but invited me out for another interview with the VP for the liaison position. HR guy also set me up with a realtor's tour the day before, since I'm not from the area. The interview went ok -- a solid B -- but I talked with my contact while at the airport, and he said that they would be offering me a position. This was March 11.

However, he also said that the offer had to be run through HR, and that it may be a 'week or two' before I hear from HR. I know that the main HR guy was out of the office until March 13, and they also work a 9-10 schedule, so every other Friday is a nonworkday. Today marks one week. Hoping to hear from HR guy soon.

The Realtor's tour sounds encouraging. It sounds like you have to go through a lot of red tape before you will be offered the job.

Continue looking. Nothing is final until you report on the designated day, complete your I-9 and W-4 forms, are shown your desk, and are handed a stack of work. Even then, it's not truly final until you are given your first paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Yes, I think my stress level has actually increased upon being told that I would receive an offer. Now it's 'hurry up and wait' again, and I'm terrified it will fall through for some reason.

38 months ago

I get a call from HR and they give me the offer, which sounds good. I ask about relocation, since this would involve me moving to the west coast, and she says that the position doesn't include relocation. I note that this will affect my timing, since I have a 90-day notice for the apartment I'm renting, which she found to be excessive, though I negotiated it down from one year as a new lessee. I can't afford to eat three months rent, then pay to move cross-country.

She called back to say that she was mistaken and that in fact the position did include relocation, including rental terminating funding if needed. Fantastic! She's going to email the relocation agreement and fedex the offer. I ask her to hold it 24 hours so that I can discuss the offer with my immediate family, all of whom live in the St. Louis area. She is taken aback, even though we are now in month 7 of the hiring process and I haven't had time to review the relocation agreement to see how it would affect my starting date. I promise to call this morning. Works for her, she'll be in and, in fact, should be at her desk all day.

Except now, of course, she's not. Can't get ahold of her. I've left two messages and called several times. Maybe she's sweating me since I didn't immediately agree to arrive in two weeks (giving notice) + 2 days (if I drive straight through wearing diapers to avoid bathroom breaks) without knowing anything about the covered costs and how I'll find a new place to live.

38 months ago

Have an email of the offer letter and am awaiting the offer fedex.

I'm excited! My supervisor is great (so far) and the breakdowns have come with HR.

My start date isn't until May 17, which will mean 9 months will have elapsed between my applying for a job and starting said job.

38 months ago

It's doubtful she's sweating you, but don't keep calling.

Nine months is certainly a long time to fill a position. It all sounds good, but, again, nothing is final until you report, are shown your desk, complete W-4 and I-9 forms, are handed a stack of work, and, last but not least, are paid.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.