References checked but no offer after three days

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Littlemiss in Plainfield, New Jersey

10 months ago

Hi all,

I recently interviewed for a job at a nonprofit within a university on Friday. The interview went really well, both my interviewers responded to my thank you emails and one even said "we hope to be in touch very soon." On Monday, I find out that they had started calling my references, saying that they were seriously considering me and were very excited about me. But as of today, I haven't received an offer.

Is it possible that they checked my references but don't plan on hiring me? Why is this taking so long? Should I email them again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

10 months ago

No, do not email them again. Yes, it is possible they don't plan on hiring you after checking your ref's. BUT it is just as likely they're getting set to tender you an offer.

You also ask why is it taking so long? HR might be waiting on the results of a background check, or bureaucratic channels between the nonprofit and uni, or because of this or because of that or dozens of other things. What you described doesn't sound long to me. In particular, universities typically take months to make simple decisions.

It sounds like things are positive here. Don't pester them with calls or emails. Meanwhile, keep applying for more jobs. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

10 months ago

Littlemiss in Plainfield, New Jersey said: Hi all,

I recently interviewed for a job at a nonprofit within a university on Friday. The interview went really well, both my interviewers responded to my thank you emails and one even said "we hope to be in touch very soon." On Monday, I find out that they had started calling my references, saying that they were seriously considering me and were very excited about me. But as of today, I haven't received an offer.

Is it possible that they checked my references but don't plan on hiring me? Why is this taking so long? Should I email them again?

From the interview that "went really well" to your first paycheck can take weeks, especially if they are doing a background check. References checks are just part of it.

Give it a few more weeks and in the meantime, do not stop applying for other jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Louisville, Colorado

10 months ago

Littlemiss in Plainfield, New Jersey said: I recently interviewed for a job at a nonprofit within a university on Friday. The interview went really well, both my interviewers responded to my thank you emails and one even said "we hope to be in touch very soon." On Monday, I find out that they had started calling my references, saying that they were seriously considering me and were very excited about me. But as of today, I haven't received an offer.

Absolutely not. No more e-mails and NO calls. It hasn't been five working days since your interview. Give the references a chance to respond. Also consider that activity slows down at a college during the summer.

Keep looking in the meantime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.