Second interview after background check?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Rlyconfused in Lake Forest, California

37 months ago

Hi all,

A few weeks ago, I had my first in-person interview for a large company (which was a couple days after my phone screening). I interviewed with the hr generalist and two would-be coworkers. I then interviewed with the hiring manager. After the interview, the hiring manager said they should have a decision made in a couple of weeks, as they still had more interviews to do. Fast forward two weeks and the recruiter told me my information had been submitted for a background check. The check was completed and came back fine last Wednesday. Yesterday, I got a call from the recruiter inviting me in for a second interview on Friday. This time, I am meeting with the same hr generalist first, then I am meeting with the two department leads.

My question is, is this normal to interview after successful completion of a background check, and after I already met with the hiring manager? In the past, the hiring manager is the last person I met with and the background check/drug test were conducted after the offer.

I am just wondering if anyone has experience with this and could shed some light. I have no idea what to expect on Friday. I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

IslandStyle

37 months ago

Whose to say what's normal in this economic climate. It used to be that background checks were a definitive sign that you got the job due to the high costs associated with them but now a days they can pull your complete background with credit score for usually less than $50.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

eduran in Riverside, California

37 months ago

I went to an interview for a medical collection position was hired by the owner and told a background check was going to be done well the next few days I get a letter from manager stating i didn't get the job because of a credit background was denied... no duh! I have been divorced lost the house and my ex ran up all the credit cards. can a job offer be taken away because of bad credit? No wonder there are so many people out of work today most people I know have friends or family memeber that have lost there homes to. I know it's an employers market right now, but really?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

Prospective employers can do anything they want nowadays. They likely whittled the field down to 3-5 candidates via the first interview and the background check. You're now on to round two. They can take as long as they want, or they can hire you on the spot now that they've done all the background on you.

Good luck. I hope they give you an answer one way or another quickly. Oh, and don't stop your search in its tracks based on this potential job. You never know what they will do or how long they'll take to make a decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rlyconfused in Azusa, California

37 months ago

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I got the job offer today! The second interview was much more casual than the first one. No official interview packet - more of a chat, per se, between me and the department leads. A get-to-know-you type thing. Anyways, I'm excited! Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

eduran in Riverside, California said: I went to an interview for a medical collection position was hired by the owner and told a background check was going to be done well the next few days I get a letter from manager stating i didn't get the job because of a credit background was denied... no duh! I have been divorced lost the house and my ex ran up all the credit cards. can a job offer be taken away because of bad credit? No wonder there are so many people out of work today most people I know have friends or family memeber that have lost there homes to. I know it's an employers market right now, but really?

I use to work for a credit bureau so here I some tips.

Stay away from any jobs that involve handling money or require bonding. This is where bad credit really works against you.
You can add a personal statement to your credit report explaining the situation. Some managers may take pity on you. We use to read these mini-soap operas. ...wife ran off with the pool boy, etc. Heh!
Smaller companies are more forgiving than larger ones when it comes to bad credit.
Keep trying. Even Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer had jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sarwatiq@yahoo.com in Owensboro, Kentucky

30 months ago

Hi Everybody,

I had an interview on Skype, and a 15 minutes presentation for teaching, and a problem to be solved before the interview date. I was asked later in the week to provide only my full name for background check. What are the chances of getting the job. The job is for a 4-year college as an instructor. What happens next? II am not sure about the credit score, as it could be 600 or low? Will it make a big difference in this case?

Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.