Sent out 250+ applications

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

clingingtohope in Garden City, Michigan

41 months ago

I have sent out 250 or more applications over the last week or so. I had three interviews so far in my job search, one was a friend of mine, one was the first job I applied to, and one was from my apps submitted on Monster, CareerBuilder, Cragislist and Indeed. So far the only calls/emails I get are from "scam" jobs and marketing type companies who train people for sales (commission only) and would take any warm body.

I sent out 20-50 a day and I am getting absolutely nothing back. I am well qualified for most of the positions.

I have written cover letters for some (mostly those that ask for it). Should I always include a cover letter? Does this help? Any other tips? I am pretty much looking for something admin/desk/clerk or driving of some sort. I have lots of customer service background, sales, and real estate experience. What am I doing wrong?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

41 months ago

clingingtohope in Garden City, Michigan said: I have written cover letters for some (mostly those that ask for it). Should I always include a cover letter? Does this help?
IMO you should always include a cover letter. Just because one is not asked for doesn't mean you don't include it. Your cover letters don't need to be long; three or four paragraphs of three or four tightly written sentences each should do it. Make sure they are pristine,

Probably you're not doing anything wrong. It's just tough getting jobs these days.

Bluetea in Texas

41 months ago

clingingtohope in Garden City, Michigan said: I have sent out 250 or more applications over the last week or so. I had three interviews so far in my job search, one was a friend of mine, one was the first job I applied to, and one was from my apps submitted on Monster, CareerBuilder, Cragislist and Indeed. So far the only calls/emails I get are from "scam" jobs and marketing type companies who train people for sales (commission only) and would take any warm body.

I sent out 20-50 a day and I am getting absolutely nothing back. I am well qualified for most of the positions.

I have written cover letters for some (mostly those that ask for it). Should I always include a cover letter? Does this help? Any other tips? I am pretty much looking for something admin/desk/clerk or driving of some sort. I have lots of customer service background, sales, and real estate experience. What am I doing wrong?

Go to the library, find the books on networking and read a couple of them. The problem with applying online is that the competition is tremendous. You're qualified but so are 50 other people.

Today, who you know is where you go and then cover letters are not necessary.

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York

41 months ago

Well for one, your applying to a very common job - admin & driving. So they are probably getting a huge response.

But sometimes I myself wonder when I send a resume to something that on paper I am a perfect fit for and get no response.

Have someone else take a look at your resume and cover letter. Maybe take a trip to your local Dept of Labor office and they will look at your resume.

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

41 months ago

How is reading a book on networking going to get you a job? Networking is about knowing people and those people knowing people. Networking happens through experience and, frankly, networking. You either know people who can help or who know others who can help, or you don't. You aren't going to "learn" how to network from books.

Also, if the world were perfect, then we wouldn't need networking because everyone would already be in the perfect job thanks to...networking.

OP, we've all experienced the same. Jobs are virtually impossible to get nowadays. You could be Einstein, and you'd still have a rough go of it.

Just keep trying and also let everyone you know (networking) know you're looking - not that that will help but it might not hurt.

Eh.

41 months ago

God bless Blue. I like her just fine. It's just that I've read all of her stories a dozen times already.

"My daddy and technology."

"The panel interview with two other candidates."

"The library."

"The purple squirrel."

And so on.

But I still likes me some tea. Don't get me wrong. :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

I was responding to your post and other posts. But I do appreciate your ad hominem comeback.

Yes, still basically unemployed apart from my part-time thing. You know, like a lot of people around here are?

Didn't your mama tell you that if you didn't have anything nice...oh never mind.

Still love a cuppa tea in the afternoon, I do.

41 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I see you have no material either. Well, as my ol' daddy use to say, "Get a job ya bum!".

I have plenty of material - and it's all new and spur o' the moment, pal.

I leave the old, tired aphorisms to you.

Don't you have a library to hit or a job to do, or are you shirking and lollygagging again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Clingingtohope in Westland, Michigan

41 months ago

You guys are seriously getting on my nerves. I posted a serious question and now my inbox is getting filled up with messages that I have replies on my thread and it's all this garbage. Kindly take your argument somewhere else.

41 months ago

I gave you an answer already. I'll give it to you again. You're not doing anything wrong. Jobs. Are. Impossible. To. Get. Nowadays.

Work any contacts you have and keep sending out resumes. We've all been in or are still in the same boat. There are no magic fixes. I don't know what kind of an answer you're expecting, but there it is and it's the complete truth.

Clingingtohope in Westland, Michigan

41 months ago

Thank you

jenab in Austin, Texas

41 months ago

clingingtohope in Garden City, Michigan said: I have sent out 250 or more applications over the last week or so. ... I am pretty much looking for something admin/desk/clerk or driving of some sort. I have lots of customer service background, sales, and real estate experience. What am I doing wrong?

How are you defining "well qualified"?

Are you customizing your resume/work experience for any of these jobs? If you aren't customizing your resume/app to align with the key words in the req, you're chances of getting a response beyond "thanks for applying" are minute.

250 is an excessive number, are there so many open positions in your area that 250 match your experience?

41 months ago

250 isn't excessive in this environment. I've not really sent out many resumes in the last four months, but when I was sending them out I probably sent out about 700 by my estimate.

Out of those 700 submissions by resume or application, I had interviews at about 25 places. I believe I estimated a 4-5% response rate, so that's in the ball park. I think people here get about the same response rate to submissions.

There are just too many people vying for these positions, and employers are being incredibly stringent in their selection.

Anyone who finds himself out of a job and who doesn't have a good network or whose network has already been worked is going to find numbers in this area and a completely different ball game than existed even 10 years ago.

It's soul crushing.

mhb in ponchatoula, Louisiana

41 months ago

I Have sent out hundreds since I was RIFd due to merger / acquistion, and have had maybe 5 interviews ..... very frustrating. I wore many hats especially in my last job of 12 years and my career of 16 years. Everything I see posted only covers one of the many jobs I did there...so I apply....I think they look at it and go...nope too qualified for this....they would get bored and up to the next one that comes along. The fact that I was rifd and unemployed for a year now does not help! And then to top it off, the salary I made at the last employer because of the wide range of my job there, was way more than any one of the jobs that have only the one aspect. I have had offers out of state, but I have priorities where I am. It is very very frustrating to say the least!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TWDG in Rochester, Michigan

41 months ago

Well looks like you are no longer clinging to hope - too bad as I am looking for someone for admin / driving work in the real estate business in SE MI - but no way to contact you.

Clingingtohope in Garden City, Michigan

41 months ago

Email or call me. Jeffgushman@gmail.com three-one-three nine-eight-zero one-five-three-three. Thanks!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.