Some standard rejection letter examples

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

Anyone care to share theirs?

Investor Guy
Thank you for your interest in the position of Tech Support Analyst 2 at ABC University. Because of the quality of candidates, the decision was extremely difficult, however, after a review of your qualifications and those of the other final candidates, we have decided to hire someone whose background and experience more closely match our needs. We appreciate your interest in this position and wish you every success in your job search.

Investor Guy,
Thank you for applying for the position of Business Systems Analyst in the Student Affairs Department . Although your application and interview were impressive, another candidate was selected for the position. Our decision was based upon a careful comparison of the demands of the position with the abilities shown by each candidate. We appreciate your interest in the position and the time expended in reviewing your candidacy with us.

Again, thank you for your interest in employment at ABC University. I hope there may be other employment opportunities of interest to you in the future.

Sincerely,

ABC University Human Resources-Employment Unit

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Though if too much time passes the odds are against you getting the job... getting the letter let's you put the matter to rest and move on.

I read that waiting and wondering, if and when an employer will call is not a problem. Its not even interesting conversation anymore. Having to decide between two equally good job offers is a problem but that can't happen if you stop your job search for any reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

30 months ago

Dear Nicholas

We appreciate your interest in the Research Assistant I position within (name of hospital).

After careful consideration of several candidates, we have filled the position. The decision was a difficult one, and we would like to thank you for taking the time to submit your resume and application for consideration. Please continue to check (name of hospital)s website at, (site), and apply for any additional opportunities.

We appreciate your interest in (name of hospital) and wish you the best of luck as you explore new career opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Dear Nicholas:

Thank you for applying for a position with (name of hotel). We do appreciate your interest in (name of hotel); however, we are currently pursuing other candidates whose background and skills more closely fit our current need.

Please continue to review our open positions on (hotel website) for any other position you would like to pursue. We wish you much success with your career search.

Sincerely,

(name of hotel) Recruiting Services

.....I have HUNDREDS like this.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: What these piece of communication say means nothing because it's all standard, boiler plate language. You already know once you have the envelope in your hand or see an email from them in your inbox that you've been rejected. You might as well not open the envelope or the email.

The only one I received that had a human touch to it is the email I received six months ago that didn't use a lot of the standard language and indicated that the position had been filled.

Within 4-8 weeks of receipt of that email, this firm had already posted a job ad for the same position. And they've posted a few more job ads for the same position since then. They make great calls, huh?

The thing is, I don't think they are making calls at all. I don't think they are filling the position to begin with. They're just recycling the ad and running it again, hoping to either catch a cheaper fish than the last time, or no fish at all and at least they look busy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

30 months ago

I was told at my last interview that they've been interviewing for over 2 months. 2 MONTHS !

Whats even funnier is that they've listed all these deep technical qualifications including the ability to facilitate meetings and bridge inter-departmental relationships for an entry-level salary.
I have no problem with the salary and I meet all their technical and soft qualifications.. but they expressed a concern that the job might be too junior for me and I wont be satisfied in a few months. WTF ?!?

So, I dropped my usual line when people bring this up and talked about Work-Life balance and enjoying my job.
They looked at me like I was some kind of wacko and questioned my sincerity.

I'm waiting for my rejection letter now...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario said: I was told at my last interview that they've been interviewing for over 2 months. 2 MONTHS !

Whats even funnier is that they've listed all these deep technical qualifications including the ability to facilitate meetings and bridge inter-departmental relationships for an entry-level salary.
I have no problem with the salary and I meet all their technical and soft qualifications.. but they expressed a concern that the job might be too junior for me and I wont be satisfied in a few months. WTF ?!?

So, I dropped my usual line when people bring this up and talked about Work-Life balance and enjoying my job.
They looked at me like I was some kind of wacko and questioned my sincerity.

I'm waiting for my rejection letter now...

I get this ALL the time. I've taken my Master's off my resume, because of it. Even in interviews, I'm obviously friendly, professional, and intelligent. The managers who don't see me as underachieving by applying to the position in question, see me as a threat to their job.

I wish they would stop assuming that work/wage is "beneath me," or that I'm going to bolt to a better job as soon as it's offered. It's such a defeatist attitude, it's a wonder that they run a business that way. No, we shouldn't make a new more efficient product. It will sell too well and then someone else will make a better one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

30 months ago

It is amazing how prospective employers know more about us than we do without even meeting us. I wonder how they do it......

I figure that if a company treats me fairly (wages, benefits, etc), I would have no reason whatsoever to move along to another job. If they don't treat me fairly, it is their way of telling me to go work somewhere else because they don't value my services.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

What is scary is that HRIS systems (HR information systems) are increasingly used for all phases of the hiring process. These systems employ workforce analytics. About the only human part of the process is your interview, but even after that if they are using an HRIS system they fill out multiple choice forms regarding their impression of the interview. The computer than spits out who is the best candidate! They do this to remove 'subjectivity' from the process as if they trust the computer to make the decision more than themselves. I really wish I had stuck with the University job I had about 8 years ago. Even then hiring was so much simpler, no background check or HRIS system. Just a few questions and three days later I had a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Joe Gagill in South Fallsburg, New York said: THAT'S IT! They know that I'm a meth dealer.

Good points John from Maryland.

Oh, was I supposed to NOT mention that when they called for a reference? :)))

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: They do this to remove 'subjectivity' from the process as if they trust the computer to make the decision more than themselves. I really wish I had stuck with the University job I had about 8 years ago. Even then hiring was so much simpler, no background check or HRIS system. Just a few questions and three days later I had a job.

My dad use to say, "Things are more difficult now - you have computers". LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: They do this to remove 'subjectivity' from the process as if they trust the computer to make the decision more than themselves.

Rent a movie called Gattaca to see how "subjectivity" will be handled in the future, regarding jobs. The movie takes place in a not-too-distant future.

Joe Gagill in South Fallsburg, New York

30 months ago

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

Maybe because I'm too darn haughty.

30 months ago

What exactly can't you take any more? Not being able to find a "legit" job because they just aren't available?

30 months ago

I can't take it anymore John! Help me.

30 months ago

<turning on good minion mode>

Let's get rolling and make some money!

I think we have all had enough haven't we?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!

I WANT A JOB!

30 months ago

I've been saying that for 4 very long years.... what's your point? :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Ah good, Joe is hitting the point of madness. I passed there last holiday season. I've been pretty crazy for 6 months, now. ;)

Today, I went to the local career center to basically ask what they can do for me to snap this nonsense. For some reason, they closed at noon, today. MUST BE NICE! Who am I kidding, they are useless anyway.

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: Today, I went to the local career center to basically ask what they can do for me to snap this nonsense. For some reason, they closed at noon, today. MUST BE NICE! Who am I kidding, they are useless anyway.

Bahahahahahaaaaaa! (Snort)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: Ah good, Joe is hitting the point of madness. I passed there last holiday season. I've been pretty crazy for 6 months, now. ;)

Today, I went to the local career center to basically ask what they can do for me to snap this nonsense. For some reason, they closed at noon, today. MUST BE NICE! Who am I kidding, they are useless anyway.

Probably budget cuts. Too many people out of work, not enough jobs to go around, not enough tax revenue coming in..... likely got paid for 40 hours though.... even if they were part time, they would likely do as much good as when full time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

It's looking more and more like I'll be taking a cash advance soon to be able to afford moving away from here. Status quo can't go on, or I will LITERALLY lose it and need professional treatment. I can't imagine living this way through another holiday season. =/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Honestly and truly, I can not explain why I haven't just plain snapped and found myself drooling all over myself in a rubber room yet. Many a day of shear and utter frustration with nothing to show for it.

30 months ago

Been there! I was watching Cuckoo's nest a few months ago thinking to myself, "that wouldn't be so bad, really." After all, it would increase my social exposure as they all play cards and basketball, and I wouldn't have to worry about rent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!

Eff you and your effing eyebrows Hiring Manager!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Scary thing is, the only reason I haven't gone down Jesse's path yet, is for lack of genius scientists showing up on my driveway. Otherwise, I would totally make fat stacks, yo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

So, now Joe is truly feeling our pain. Welcome to the wonderful world of doing what you want, when you want with only one drawback..... no money to do a single solitary thing......not even enough money to pay attention to anything.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Just came across a fun link for when it gets too hot to go outside.... looks like it would work for those of us with no money as well. I kinda doubt indeed will let me post the link, but here goes anyway....

www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/indoor-activities-when-it-gets-too-damn-hot-go-outside

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.