Thank you notes - from the employer?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

31 months ago

Unusual....and a considerate, professional touch. IMO his/her thank-you indicates you are dealing with a decent person. However, it's hard to say if it's a good or bad sign. The only truly good sign is a job offer.

Don't reply. Just wait for further word.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Investor Guy in San Francisco, California

31 months ago

I have had that happen only once. It is a rare and very good sign.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cookie in Nutley, New Jersey

31 months ago

Thanks guys! Honestly, the interview process for this particular job has been good. In the hiring manager's note to me, I was given a firm time line so I should know soon. It is just that I have been on so many interviews that I know it can all fall apart unexpectedly. I am just anxious I suppose! But the note definitely surprised me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Take it for what it is and don't stop looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Oh trust me, I know that! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Oakland, California

31 months ago

This happened to me the other day at my interview. I was casually talking to the VP at the end of our interview session and he asked me for my opinion on some things about the company, but we ran out of time before I said what I wanted to say. Sent him my thank you note and mentioned a few other things continued from our conversation and I got a positive reply back later that night. Got the job yesterday in less than 24 hours following the last round interview =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Congratulations on your new job!

It's probably a good thing that you ran out of time to opine on things in the company. I see that as a trap question. A candidate could say things the interviewer does not want to hear or the interviewer could be mining candidates for ideas to implement with no intention of hiring them.

Good luck with your new job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Thanks anonymous in Oakland, California! That does sound similar to my situation and I hope to have the same outcome! Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Oakland, California

31 months ago

Yeah, good luck. I never felt like it was a trap question at all. He bluntly told me all he cared about was that I was a big fan of their work, which I am. He even said he liked my ideas in his e-mail too :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gi 1 in Harvey, Louisiana

30 months ago

I received a response to my thank you letter a few months ago where the manager agreed that I would be a great hire. I did not get the job, however. Things can be different for you. Just be patient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cookie in Clifton, New Jersey

30 months ago

Last week I was invited for the 2nd round interview. Then I was told a decision would be made shortly (I was given a specific time frame). I received the offer yesterday!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

PeteSmithHQ in Australia

30 months ago

Hi,

A thank you note from the employer is definitely a good sign. While te interviewee is supposed to score an A+ in every aspect of the interview, little is expected from the interviewer. I personally think of it as a positive sign so lets keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. If the hiring manager did not mention a time frame then I think you should call him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

No, Pete, the candidate should NOT call the hiring manager if he did not mention a time frame. A thank-you from a HM is a concrete indication he/she is aware of the candidate. A thank-you from a HM is absolute confirmation he/she knows how to contact the candidate. Now, the ball is definitely in the HM's court. It's up to him/her to make the next move. Further candidate-initiated contact with the HM has a good chance of annoying him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stillsmiling in Kingsland, Georgia

30 months ago

Cookie in Clifton, New Jersey said: Last week I was invited for the 2nd round interview. Then I was told a decision would be made shortly (I was given a specific time frame). I received the offer yesterday!

Congrats! So glad it worked out for you. I got a reply to a thank you note only once. Unfortunately I didn't get the job. I was so disappointed! But nice to know it does show something positive can come of it.

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: No, Pete, the candidate should NOT call the hiring manager if he did not mention a time frame. A thank-you from a HM is a concrete indication he/she is aware of the candidate. A thank-you from a HM is absolute confirmation he/she knows how to contact the candidate. Now, the ball is definitely in the HM's court. It's up to him/her to make the next move. Further candidate-initiated contact with the HM has a good chance of annoying him.

My reading of the tea leaves is different. I was going to suggest that he bake them a cake and deliver it in person. That would give him/her the opportunity to find out the status, reiterate a few key points and show his continued interest in the job.

What do you think? LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

The employer already knows OP is interested in the job. Nothing further need be done, including delivering a cake. Besides, he's probably sick of cake because every other candidate has brought him one. He's also sick, I'm sure, of Marie Antoinette saying "Let them eat cake."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cookie in West Orange, New Jersey

30 months ago

For anyone still looking for a job, I have a great resource for you. A friend of mine referred this book to me - Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters. I am not the type to lightly endorse anything but this is a good book. Now, I didn't follow everything they said because some of it was just simply absurd. But I did follow some of their principles and adopted it to my job hunt. And within 3 months, I accepted an offer! Oh and by the way, my friend found a job using their principles within 3 months. Just trying to help! :)

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

30 months ago

Cookie in West Orange, New Jersey said: For anyone still looking for a job, I have a great resource for you. A friend of mine referred this book to me - Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters. I am not the type to lightly endorse anything but this is a good book. Now, I didn't follow everything they said because some of it was just simply absurd. But I did follow some of their principles and adopted it to my job hunt. And within 3 months, I accepted an offer! Oh and by the way, my friend found a job using their principles within 3 months. Just trying to help! :)

How long were you out of work and what kind of job did you get???

30 months ago

I was out of work for 14 months (yikes!). And I got an administrative job at a university with no prior experience at a university. Typically, it is hard to get a job at a university without prior experience. So I feel very lucky!

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

30 months ago

Congrats Cookie!

I'm curious, where did you see the job opening? Online, newspaper, friend, etc.

30 months ago

Thank you Joe!

I had so many job alerts set up. But found this particular one via simplyhired. Actually I interviewed for another job that I found on simplyhired. If I may offer another tip to everyone. I went on 20 interviews in 14 months. Every interview I went on was a job that I applied the day it was posted.

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

30 months ago

Cookie in West Orange, New Jersey said: Thank you Joe!

I had so many job alerts set up. But found this particular one via simplyhired. Actually I interviewed for another job that I found on simplyhired. If I may offer another tip to everyone. I went on 20 interviews in 14 months. Every interview I went on was a job that I applied the day it was posted.

Cookie, I've been reading your posts on here and really appreciate them. And a huge congratulations to you. You're a smart cookie (like Jeff in Denver and Unemployed Paralegal). You guys have helped me a lot. Thanks.

30 months ago

@Bluetea,

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: The employer already knows OP is interested in the job. Nothing further need be done, including delivering a cake. Besides, he's probably sick of cake because every other candidate has brought him one. He's also sick, I'm sure, of Marie Antoinette saying "Let them eat cake."
What would you think of trying Twinkies, if they can be found?

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: @Bluetea,

What would you think of trying Twinkies, if they can be found?

Twinkies? You aren't even trying.

Years ago, when I was on the other side of the desk, I would get these Thank You cards with gift certificates in them: movie theatres, restaurants, etc. Even had one with a hundred dollar bill in it. (I sent that one back). None of that swayed my decision about who I was going to hire.

If you want to send a Thank You Card/Note/Email/Twinkie do it. But you if think that this will make you stand out from the crowd, you're kidding yourself. That was your parent's era.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sighing in southern, New Jersey

30 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Twinkies? You aren't even trying.

Years ago, when I was on the other side of the desk, I would get these Thank You cards with gift certificates in them: movie theatres, restaurants, etc. Even had one with a hundred dollar bill in it. (I sent that one back). None of that swayed my decision about who I was going to hire.

If you want to send a Thank You Card/Note/Email/Twinkie do it. But you if think that this will make you stand out from the crowd, you're kidding yourself. That was your parent's era.

100 bucks. OMG. WAY TOO FAR. The most I have ever done is send hand written thank you letters to 8 people, I think. That was years ago. NO MORE.

30 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Years ago, when I was on the other side of the desk, I would get these Thank You cards with gift certificates in them: movie theatres, restaurants, etc. Even had one with a hundred dollar bill in it. (I sent that one back). None of that swayed my decision about who I was going to hire.
And it should not have. Those unethical candidates were trying to bribe you. I should hope you returned the gift certificates as well as the $100 bill.

But I still maintain one should send thank-you letters and then wait. Courtesy aside, thank-yous give you one more permissible opportunity to market yourself, as opposed to sending repeated followup e-mails that are sure to annoy.

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: And it should not have. Those unethical candidates were trying to bribe you. I should hope you returned the gift certificates as well as the $100 bill.

But I still maintain one should send thank-you letters and then wait. Courtesy aside, thank-yous give you one more permissible opportunity to market yourself, as opposed to sending repeated followup e-mails that are sure to annoy.

Then by all means go ahead and send them.

For me, thank you cards are for baby showers. Heh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington said: Cookie, I've been reading your posts on here and really appreciate them. And a huge congratulations to you. You're a smart cookie (like Jeff in Denver and Unemployed Paralegal). You guys have helped me a lot. Thanks.

Thank you Joe! Good luck to you!:)

Sngs0987 in Alberta

6 months ago

Cookie in Nutley, New Jersey said: I had a really good interview last week. And after I sent my thank you note, I actually received a thank you note back from the hiring manager thanking me for coming in for the interview. Now I have been on a ton of interviews this past year and never have I once received a response to my thank you note. But I was wondering if this is common. I am hoping that it was a good sign so any feed back would be appreciated!

Right now i am in same position as you i had an interview on thursday with president of a company(as he was traveling from main brans to local office) interview went very well and he asked for refrences i send him refrences with thank you note he replied next day and also said that do not hesitate to check in as we move forward it might take couple of of weeks before we do something here so is it a positive sign????

TracieSparkles in New York, New York

6 months ago

Cookie in Nutley, New Jersey said: I had a really good interview last week. And after I sent my thank you note, I actually received a thank you note back from the hiring manager thanking me for coming in for the interview. Now I have been on a ton of interviews this past year and never have I once received a response to my thank you note. But I was wondering if this is common. I am hoping that it was a good sign so any feed back would be appreciated!

I got a response to. It was very generic.

TracieSparkles in New York, New York

6 months ago

*too

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.