Things interviewers say that let's you know you won't get an offer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 327)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: A lot of this job hunting advice was written by people who have never been unemployed or it's just plain antiquated. In the real world it makes no sense and can actually hurt your job hunt.I also ignore all that jazz about the absolutely necessity of having this amazing facebook, linked in and twitter profiles. Please...

but
I agree. A lot of that advice has just been recycled from your parent's job market. It doesn't quite as well today.

I do agree with networking being key to finding your next job but that is something you start in daycare not after you become unemployed. Stalking possible online leads, people you have never met in person, is just creepy to me. I don't care what the books say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: Same with me. I also moved on after about 3-4 days. I never followed up either. And never sent thank you letters. I thanked them upon exiting the place. Following up shows your desperation and anxiety. They make feel they can take advantage of you and you'd be an easy mark after hiring. If you have to follow up, then they're taking too long and you know they're not going to pick you. You don't follow up because you're too busy with other interviews and potential offers; at least that's what you want them to believe.

A lot of this job hunting advice was written by people who have never been unemployed or it's just plain antiquated. In the real world it makes no sense and can actually hurt your job hunt.I also ignore all that jazz about the absolutely necessity of having this amazing facebook, linked in and twitter profiles. Please...

You can walk into any library and buy a book with this kind of outdated advice for a buck now. Look in their discard pile - right next to the Windows 95 manuals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: A lot of this job hunting advice was written by people who have never been unemployed or it's just plain antiquated. In the real world it makes no sense and can actually hurt your job hunt.I also ignore all that jazz about the absolutely necessity of having this amazing facebook, linked in and twitter profiles. Please...
I do believe in sending thank-you letters. That's it for followups. However.... one person elsewhere said to call two days after sending the thank-you letter and ask the interviewer if he/she received it. Is that not the height of insecurity?

Further, this person said to leave a voicemail if you don't reach the interviewer. You would say you enjoyed meeting him/her. You wanted to be sure he/she received the thank-you; you understand they are busy and hope you can make their work less stressful. I saw the part after saying you enjoyed meeting the interviewer and wanted to barf. If that wasn't enough, she said to keep calling the interviewer. Keep calling until you actually reach the interviewer. In so doing you will speak volumes about your persistence and dedication. Reading that part really made me want to barf.

Can you believe that nonsense, Tanya? Not only will repeated calling annoy the interviewer, it will annoy the receptionist. After a while the receptionist will complain to the interviewer and you'll really be up sh1t creek. That advice has to be some of the worst post-interview advice I've ever seen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

Grant013 in Astoria, New York

22 months ago

I totally agree. A lot of the advice is useless. I like to have an open mind so I will listen to what all the employed know it all job hunt advisers say, but I always say "case by case" and use your independent judgment. It's your life and your needs. Nobody knows better than yourself what is going to work and what is not. But with some of this stuff....no.

Someone who knows I have been long term unemployed made fun of me when I mentioned I was renewing my real estate license. I told her I did this before for 2 years, and during the Recession so I have experience. And I caught the worst of the market.She said the market is still bad..bla bba.bla. In New York City apartments are always, ALWAYS in demand. You've got people coming here from other states who all have guarantors for the leases. But this fat, ugly beitch who can't even speak properly a she sounds like she's gurgling mouthwash, knows nothing about the market. She said, "You're going to get f*d." My response was "We'll see." I am tired of relying on gov't and state help. I am even more tired of the endless hoop jumping and circus tricks required for even the simplest clerical office jobs. So why shouldn't I renew my license and work on commission? Done it before. I will at least have a couple of thousand coming in each month. Should I continue to waste time and funds on interviewing? It cost me much more than then $250 for this license renewal. It will cost me much, much more if I am to continue the senseless cycle of interviewing, getting my hopes up, and then crashing. It's almost manic. up and down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: I totally agree. A lot of the advice is useless. I like to have an open mind so I will listen to what all the employed know it all job hunt advisers say, but I always say "case by case" and use your independent judgment. It's your life and your needs. Nobody knows better than yourself what is going to work and what is not. But with some of this stuff....no.

Someone who knows I have been long term unemployed made fun of me when I mentioned I was renewing my real estate license. I told her I did this before for 2 years, and during the Recession so I have experience. And I caught the worst of the market.She said the market is still bad..bla bba.bla. In New York City apartments are always, ALWAYS in demand. You've got people coming here from other states who all have guarantors for the leases. But this fat, ugly beitch who can't even speak properly a she sounds like she's gurgling mouthwash, knows nothing about the market. She said, "You're going to get f*d." My response was "We'll see." I am tired of relying on gov't and state help. I am even more tired of the endless hoop jumping and circus tricks required for even the simplest clerical office jobs. So why shouldn't I renew my license and work on commission? Done it before. I will at least have a couple of thousand coming in each month. Should I continue to waste time and funds on interviewing? It cost me much more than then $250 for this license renewal. It will cost me much, much more if I am to continue the senseless cycle of interviewing, getting my hopes up, and then crashing. It's almost manic. up and down.

This is the worst job market since The Great Depression and yet many people have not been directly affected by it. Listening to them is a waste of time.

As my father use to say, "Ain't no shortage of good advice but that doesn't pay the rent".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

All the people employed say to get a retail or scheit cleaning job. "Go do anything." "Go waitress or babysit..." I told them; OK, do you know anybody who is hiring? "No." well then "shut up." This advice is applicable to a h.s. kid living with mom and dad who has no living expenses. Unless they personally know somebody who is hiring and can refer me, their advice is useless. Nobody asks me, well, what have you done, what's your background? They don't care. They just want to see me sweeping the sidewalk? I don't get it.Why should I? That will be less than the benefits I am getting and will look like crap on my clerical resume. I'll still have a job gap. It won't help. Yet, everybody here is telling me to forget real estate. None of them have experience in it. I know that a lot of people hate realtors but come on, it's NYC. I will make some money. I just want some quick cash, something in the meantime to pay the bills and not become homeless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: All the people employed say to get a retail or scheit cleaning job. "Go do anything." "Go waitress or babysit..." I told them; OK, do you know anybody who is hiring? "No." well then "shut up." This advice is applicable to a h.s. kid living with mom and dad who has no living expenses. Unless they personally know somebody who is hiring and can refer me, their advice is useless. Nobody asks me, well, what have you done, what's your background? They don't care. They just want to see me sweeping the sidewalk? I don't get it.Why should I? That will be less than the benefits I am getting and will look like crap on my clerical resume. I'll still have a job gap. It won't help. Yet, everybody here is telling me to forget real estate. None of them have experience in it. I know that a lot of people hate realtors but come on, it's NYC. I will make some money. I just want some quick cash, something in the meantime to pay the bills and not become homeless.

My sister is like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: Following up shows your desperation and anxiety.

A lot of this job hunting advice was written by people who have never been unemployed or it's just plain antiquated.

It's sooooo tiring playing this game but your right. You can't act desperate or toooooo enthusiastic.

Article in Sunday paper. The OneStop in my county talking about 2 people that they found jobs for. You would think the way they were talking these were great jobs.

OneStop pays the salary of the company's new hire for first 3 months while the person is training. They went on and on how great this is.............................BUT THESE WERE THROWAWAY JOBS.

Point is no one knows except the unemployed what is going on out there in the job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

22 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said:

Stalking possible online leads, people you have never met in person, is just creepy to me. I don't care what the books say.

Well, I'm pretty creepy and you talk to me daily.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

frustrated in Boston in Boston, Massachusetts

22 months ago

Hi everyone. I really enjoyed reading everyone's posts. It really helps to hear from people going through this difficult job search process.

Can anyone give me some advice right now? I am about to cry. Here's the story: My bf's job got transferred to Boston. I began applying to jobs prior to our move. I had two interviews on 2/18 one which offered the job and one which was ambiguous (let's call them job 1 and job 2 respectively). I waited as long as I could for the 2nd, as it was a better job but after not hearing for two weeks, I accepted the 1st job and was told I could begin training on 3/11. On 3/4, I finally heard back from job 2 that they wanted a second interview on 3/8, after which I was told I would hear from HR.

Now, I am a mental health therapist. It is unethical in my field to begin work with clients if you know you will have to terminate within a short time. So I was concerned about starting job 1. I decided to start training as I knew that the on-boarding stuff can take a few days, and I probably wouldn't start right away with clients, and hoped that I would hear in time from job 2. Then, on 3/12, I heard from job 2 that they wanted to 'move forward' with my application with the reference checking portion of the process. The HR rep was super excited for me and made it seem like after a quick check of my references I would receive an offer. I let job 1 know the situation and they were thankful that I informed them before I began meeting with clients. Then I completed the reference check form for job 2 by noon on 3/14.

I am still waiting to start job 2. I emailed the HR rep today for an update and she told me that I am not the only finalist (!), and that members of their hiring team are on vacation for 1-2 weeks, but that she'll let me know once there's a final decision!??!!* I've been completely living off my boyfriend. I have no money, thought I would be working by now, and I am going crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

um, well..I WISH seriously, I wish I could live off a boyfriend for a little while.Would be nice.

Keep looking regardless of what people say at interviews. Job 2 is messing with you. So you had job 1 and gave that up? not good. Keep looking. don't hold you breath for job 1. you really have to take whatever you can get especially if it's in your field. you can keep interviewing for other jobs while you work there, if it's not ideal place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

BTW, sorry for the long rant, just really have nobody to talk to about this and have been sitting at home waiting for this job to start for a full two weeks only to be told their decision is not final yet. I can't imagine how it is for others who have been unemployed for much longer. I am about to start looking for waitressing/bartending jobs, not that that will be any easier, but I don't know what else to do and I need money now. I've checked all the job sites, and the jobs in my field have seemingly dried up now. There's nothing I can even apply to anymore! Should I go back to job 1 and plead for my job back? What if job 2 decides to hire me then? Help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

frustrated in Boston in Boston, Massachusetts said: Hi everyone. I really enjoyed reading everyone's posts. It really helps to hear from people going through this difficult job search process.

Can anyone give me some advice right now? I am about to cry. Here's the story: My bf's job got transferred to Boston. I began applying to jobs prior to our move. I had two interviews on 2/18 one which offered the job and one which was ambiguous (let's call them job 1 and job 2 respectively). I waited as long as I could for the 2nd, as it was a better job but after not hearing for two weeks, I accepted the 1st job and was told I could begin training on 3/11. On 3/4, I finally heard back from job 2 that they wanted a second interview on 3/8, after which I was told I would hear from HR.

Now, I am a mental health therapist. It is unethical in my field to begin work with clients if you know you will have to terminate within a short time. So I was concerned about starting job 1. I decided to start training as I knew that the on-boarding stuff can take a few days, and I probably wouldn't start right away with clients, and hoped that I would hear in time from job 2.

I am still waiting to start job 2. I emailed the HR rep today for an update and she told me that I am not the only finalist (!), and that members of their hiring team are on vacation for 1-2 weeks, but that she'll let me know once there's a final decision!??!!* I've been completely living off my boyfriend. I have no money, thought I would be working by now, and I am going crazy.

1. A bird in the hand...
2. The vacation story is an old one.
3. The psychological contract which once traded job security for employee loyalty was breached long ago.

I got my last job but I wasn't their first choice. That person backed out when their "dream job" came through. I was Miss. Runner Up. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Ware, Massachusetts

22 months ago

frustrated in Boston in Boston, Massachusetts said:
Can anyone give me some advice right now?

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. The best advice, and what I'm sure will be repeated, is to just start applying to new positions immediately. You had two interviews before even moving to the area, so you'll probably even have more luck now that you're local.

22 months ago

if you can waitress/bartend then do that.you'll at least have some money coming in while you look for the work in your field/or wait on these picky slow *a*s employers. these people are beyond slow..they're in a permanent hiring coma.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Lol, it sounds nice but it feels like I'm a parasite. Job 2 is totally messing with me!! I swear the HR lady made it sound like I had gotten the position. I guess I should've stayed with job 1 until I had an offer in writing:( But I can't believe they would do this to me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

frustrated in Boston in Boston, Massachusetts said: Lol, it sounds nice but it feels like I'm a parasite. Job 2 is totally messing with me!! I swear the HR lady made it sound like I had gotten the position. I guess I should've stayed with job 1 until I had an offer in writing:( But I can't believe they would do this to me!

In this market you NEVER quit aj ob unless you have another. Not if you can help it and you NEVER stop applying, no matter what kind of fairy tale story comes out of HR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

fairy tail story..that's so true.God, all these HR dogs and just companies in general right now are lying like rugs. They all have this incredible silver tongue. that's why i don't feel bad when candidates hide info from them or exaggerate stuff. or when job seekers in general are not entirely honest with these employers today. with all the comatoseness in hiring, the procedural drama, jumping through the hoops like a circus clown. and the money they pay you isn't even worth it. you just have to take these jobs and keep looking and then, well, move on. Dump their lousy a*s.

Mr. Trump always says, "It's just business...nothing personal." that's how the job seeker has to handle these employers. what loyalty? what are we family? boy scouts club? loyalty? are we firefighters fighting a blaze? I have to cover your a*s in a fire? Naaaah.not in this universe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: fairy tail story..that's so true.God, all these HR dogs and just companies in general right now are lying like rugs. They all have this incredible silver tongue. that's why i don't feel bad when candidates hide info from them or exaggerate stuff. or when job seekers in general are not entirely honest with these employers today. with all the comatoseness in hiring, the procedural drama, jumping through the hoops like a circus clown. and the money they pay you isn't even worth it. you just have to take these jobs and keep looking and then, well, move on. Dump their lousy a*s.

Mr. Trump always says, "It's just business...nothing personal." that's how the job seeker has to handle these employers. what loyalty? what are we family? boy scouts club? loyalty? are we firefighters fighting a blaze? I have to cover your a*s in a fire? Naaaah.not in this universe.

Even if you had a good job, I can almost guarantee you that today, the nexrest competitor for it would be sitting about 20 feet from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Does anyone think that I should try to contact the actual manager that I interviewed with? Maybe this HR lady doesn't know what she's doing, or there's a miscommunication somewhere. I sent a thank you letter after my interviews but haven't contacted her since.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: In this market you NEVER quit aj ob unless you have another. Not if you can help it and you NEVER stop applying, no matter what kind of fairy tale story comes out of HR.

I was trying to avoid a breach of ethics. But I guess I made the wrong choice now...? This is so messed up.

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

frustrated in Boston in Boston, Massachusetts said: Does anyone think that I should try to contact the actual manager that I interviewed with? Maybe this HR lady doesn't know what she's doing, or there's a miscommunication somewhere. I sent a thank you letter after my interviews but haven't contacted her since.

Resorting to sniveling and groveling? How unprofessional. Yes, do it but not my email. Too easily ignored. Stalk the manager in the parking lot. Show your continued interest in the job and reiterate a few key points.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

frustrated in Boston in Boston, Massachusetts said: Does anyone think that I should try to contact the actual manager that I interviewed with? Maybe this HR lady doesn't know what she's doing, or there's a miscommunication somewhere. I sent a thank you letter after my interviews but haven't contacted her since.

no!?! they know who you are. they were awake when they dealt with you. were they on drugs? contacting anybody there would make you look anxious and desperate. they're going to mess with you some more.sending a thank you letter was enough.they know what's going on. need to relax and move on. ( )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

frustrated in Boston in Boston, Massachusetts said: I was trying to avoid a breach of ethics. But I guess I made the wrong choice now...? This is so messed up.

Ethics? You are being ethical but you are still unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

i don't know, was this like a dream job working for a F500 corporation making a six figure salary with a mansion in tow? come one. move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

there's nothing messed up about it.you made the wrong move. now deal with take the hit/deal with the setback. it happens. you got to look at all the cards in your hand and not show it to anybody or clue them in as to your moves.

what f*n breach of ethics? there are no ethics in this game anymore. nowhere with nobody. are you for real? life happens.people take jobs all the time that they KNOW they will leave in a few months for something better. your loyalty is to $$. that is how you survive. listen to Bluetea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: i don't know, was this like a dream job working for a F500 corporation making a six figure salary with a mansion in tow? come one. move on.

In social work those jobs are not in the realm of reality. I was happy to have a job that offered health insurance which I have not had in over 2 years. And a better salary than I have had so far. I will move on, possibly to snivel to job 1 to try to get that job back.

22 months ago

"nothing personal.it's just business." you need to keep in real for yourself. they won't keep it real because they like the game and want to keep the candidates hanging.HR are like, i don't know...scheit dogs...paperpushing snots. kneescraping lackeys who can't or won't do anything else.they have no real hard or soft skills.you can feed them vomit and they will eat it.and they expect the same from you "in the company's best interest." these people have the same mentality of carrying out order's to shoot people (fire them).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

you can try. I doubt job1 will take you back.you lost face with them.your "ethical honesty" blew it for you. keep looking.

I've been here for 2.5 years looking for work. right now I am in an "urban mood" so I might sound like kind of weird now. I don't usually write like this. I have a B.S. degree and 16 work experience.Tons of computer skills.I am also in real estate and property management on the side for extra income. I'm 42 years old in NYC. I've seen it all.heard it. I've seen stuff like in Mad Men and Law and Order and then some. maybe you're on the younger side. you've got time to learn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

I'm 37 and have been in social work since receiving my MSW from NYU in 2005. LCSW since 2010. If I were to begin work with clients and then terminate after 2-3 weeks, it could hurt the clients whom I am committed to serving. The company- I am not concerned about but the individual clients (some of whom would be children and survivors of abuse and trauma) would be confused and violated by such an action. I feel I made a mistake but I was placed in a difficult situation. I feel somewhat optimistic that the previous manager will understand and appreciate my attempt to be loyal to the clients. Thank you all for your comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Resorting to sniveling and groveling? How unprofessional. Yes, do it but not my email. Too easily ignored. Stalk the manager in the parking lot. Show your continued interest in the job and reiterate a few key points.

Bluetea, but some of these people here in NYC do just that.they do stalk and keep calling. and emailing. and leaving messages. I just can't do that. not worth it.

they know who you are.they want you, they'll let you know.if not, then it's not the place for you. I've been through too much. I am beyond cynical.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: Bluetea, but some of these people here in NYC do just that.they do stalk and keep calling. and emailing. and leaving messages. I just can't do that. not worth it.

they know who you are.they want you, they'll let you know.if not, then it's not the place for you. I've been through too much. I am beyond cynical.

I agree. An HR speaker at one of my networking sessions put it best. "We have lost two jobs: the one you had and the one you need". Since 2007, we have lost over 8 million jobs.

How is LinkedIn, interview follow up or resume paper with matching envelopes the solution to this? That was your parent's era and that was a much different time.

22 months ago

i think we lost much more than 8 million jobs.the media is just downplaying the numbers, as they usually do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

22 months ago

I am still waiting to start job 2. I emailed the HR rep today for an update and she told me that I am not the only finalist (!), and that members of their hiring team are on vacation for 1-2 weeks, but that she'll let me know once there's a final decision!??!!*

You got so much advice from others, I was going to stay out of it. But man, this paragraph above really stuck out. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business. We had a lot of HR courses.

Sorry. But they are not considering you for this job. My reasoning:
(1) She told me that I am not the only finalist
(2) Members of their hiring team are on vacation for 1-2 weeks
, but that she'll let me know once there's a final decision

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

22 months ago

Hit enter too fast.

What they are doing is looking for someone better than you - which they WILL find. They didn't go on vacation. They are spending two weeks interviewing better candidates, or someone they like personally better than they liked you. They told EVERYONE exactly the same thing they told you.

Think of an job interview is a five minute meet-and-greet round table speed date. That is what it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Max in Jamaica, New York said: Here are some that indicate you didn't get the job:

1. "We are still interviewing."
2. "We will get back to you on this, regardless of the outcome."
3. We had over 300 applicants, we picked 10 of the best. You were one of them. That you should be proud of."
4. They don't ask for references

All on the ball. Also, if they don't give you a business card at the end of the interview, then clearly, it ain't happening. They don't like you enough to give you their business card.They don't want you calling or emailing them, that's what I think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Max in Jamaica, New York

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: All on the ball. Also, if they don't give you a business card at the end of the interview, then clearly, it ain't happening. They don't like you enough to give you their business card.They don't want you calling or emailing them, that's what I think.

Yes! Very true! I just went to a interview and wasn't given one. Honestly, you have a better change of hitting the lottery than getting a job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Doll, a lady has a better chance of finding a wealthy guy to hook up with and marry eventually. Especially if the lady is decent looking and has lots of personality.Maybe I should look for rich male friends. They'll get me a job at their company or at their friend's company. They say network, right? Plenty of women get jobs that way, even today. Nobody talks about it openly because it's politically not correct. But I hear women talk plenty among themselves sometimes. I say if the shoe fits, wear it. 'Cos this song and dance in the circus job hunt isn't working in the Recession. The only people who are getting hired are on the inside whether they already work at the company, or have family/friends there. (Time for me to look for new friends.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mike1233 in Ohio

22 months ago

The business card thing doesn't mean anything, I've been given those countless times after an interview and not been successfully hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

It's rude not to give somebody a business card.Whether you're hired or not.It shows the employer is cheap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

If they're too cheap to give you a business card..what are they like after they hire you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: It's rude not to give somebody a business card.Whether you're hired or not.It shows the employer is cheap.

It also shows that they don't want you bothering them with "status updates".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

They interview so they could fill out paperwork for the HR Director and keep their own jobs.They also interview so they an fill out paperwork for the EEOC to show they're supposedly complying with some regulation. Also, they fill out stuff so they can get their 10,000 tax credit for the other people already working there.
Or they already have someobody on the inside they decided on and need to show proof they interviewed outsiders. It's all so very political, that's all.
Who says they're interviewing to hire you? We're not naive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: They interview so they could fill out paperwork for the HR Director and keep their own jobs.They also interview so they an fill out paperwork for the EEOC to show they're supposedly complying with some regulation. Also, they fill out stuff so they can get their 10,000 tax credit for the other people already working there.
Or they already have someobody on the inside they decided on and need to show proof they interviewed outsiders. It's all so very political, that's all.

I agree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Max in Jamaica, New York

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: They interview so they could fill out paperwork for the HR Director and keep their own jobs.They also interview so they an fill out paperwork for the EEOC to show they're supposedly complying with some regulation. Also, they fill out stuff so they can get their 10,000 tax credit for the other people already working there.

Thats how they CYA!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Because in 2.5 years I would have been hired, if they were seriously considering hiring ME.Many were second and third interviews, btw.So clearly I can sell myself!
So let's stop with their BS. I speak to a lot of people in the NYC area, both in person and online.I research a lot of these social and economic issues because I have a lot of time on my hands. There is a lot of PR going on.The websites advertise fake jobs; the boards and the company websites too.They want to attract people to their sites, get traffic.They want to look like their company is doing well.It brings in business. It's fake advertising to create business in the same or another area.MARKETING.BAIT AND SWITCH.It's so old already. It's a game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

22 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: Because in 2.5 years I would have been hired, if they were seriously considering hiring ME.Many were second and third interviews, btw.So clearly I can sell myself!
So let's stop with their BS. I speak to a lot of people in the NYC area, both in person and online.I research a lot of these social and economic issues because I have a lot of time on my hands. There is a lot of PR going on.The websites advertise fake jobs; the boards and the company websites too.They want to attract people to their sites, get traffic.They want to look like their company is doing well.It brings in business. It's fake advertising to create business in the same or another area.MARKETING.BAIT AND SWITCH.It's so old already. It's a game.

I am in marketing and we call that building a "presence". You write up the product release. You hire people to write glowing reviews, blog, tweet, digg, FB, etc. You buy the links and the Adwords and you let everything simmer for a month.

I use to sell Yellow Page advertising. You can't give it away now. Every technology has a dark side.

RecruitingUnveiled in Flushing, New York

22 months ago

Interviewing is pretty tricky, in some ways it's a crapshoot. It could depend on the interviewer's mood throughout the day, it could be they have more in common with other candidates, things that are completely out of your control. I would say there are ways to make yourself more valuable vs. other candidates, but some times it's just plain luck. I will address interviewing in a future blog post, there are ways to make you seem more attractive to people.

---------------------------
Recruiting Unveiled
www.recruitingunveiled.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

beginagainla in Los Angeles, California

22 months ago

Or they already have somebody on the inside they decided on and need to show proof they interviewed outsiders. It's all so very political, that's all.

^This whole paragraph is very sobering. What a complete waste of the applicant's time and energy. It's cruel and inhumane -- employers posting jobs they have absolutely no intention of actually filling with the applicants before them. To the average working person, this would defy logic. To those of us who've been looking for work, it explains a lot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

there is evidence out there that this is going on.unless I was long term unemployed and going through this, i would have never believed it's happening.Once you actually do the research on gov't agencies, their rules and speak to people who have witnessed this or "are on the inside" you realize it's true. when another long term unemployed, a former corporate manager, tells you that his company practiced these methods to get tax breaks and the other things I mentioned above, you know it's been going on for years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.