Things interviewers say that let's you know you won't get an offer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 267)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I have been "voluntarily" marking that I am a one-legged, Native American who was born in Samoa. I have actually been getting more calls lately.

If you choose not to respond, you just wasted two hours filling the damn thing out.

RIGHT! You spend hours filling out the app and this race one is the last question! I've never seen a blank for "Other" or would put "Unknown." From now on, I'm going to put Hispanic--am sure I'll go to the top of the pile then. When they see me, I'll let them speculate. So far, no one has ever asked me to "prove" my race. But I'm sure that's coming -- along with DNA testing to check for inherited medical conditions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: you two got me laughing so hard..my sides are going to burst at the seams...
!@#$$^%%^%&%&..omg.

WTF is wrong with us? Even Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer had jobs. Geeeezus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Grant013 in Astoria, New York

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Its part of a company's compliance reporting. Don't believe me? Try deleting the entire application once you have saved it. It won't let you.

I know right? I tried that before too. It won't let you delete it. But for me then obviously it's not a company that I would want to work for ANYWAY. So let's save some time and opt not to fill out the 20 page online application with the retarded questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: LOL......don't forget to put G/lesbian on it too.

As for sex, I'd just like to say "No, thank you. I'd rather just have a job please."

Bluetea & Grant -- LOVE your ideas. From now on, I'll be a gay; mid-gender transition; Hispanic.

For that matter, I'm going to claim I am an "Undocumented worker" since I have no documentation that I am working -- and I can prove it!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada said: RIGHT! You spend hours filling out the app and this race one is the last question! I've never seen a blank for "Other" or would put "Unknown." From now on, I'm going to put Hispanic--am sure I'll go to the top of the pile then. When they see me, I'll let them speculate. So far, no one has ever asked me to "prove" my race. But I'm sure that's coming -- along with DNA testing to check for inherited medical conditions.

If you are going to be rejected, you want to rejected by a person, not by a computer.

By the time, you get to the interview, they may have forgotten that what they really wanted was a Mexican but at least you made it to the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

ROLLING on the floor laughing!! None of us have lost our sense of humor -- At least we have that! You are BOTH such sharp, intelligent people. THAT is probably the problem...

Sad but true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada said: As for sex, I'd just like to say "No, thank you. I'd rather just have a job please."

Bluetea & Grant -- LOVE your ideas. From now on, I'll be a gay; mid-gender transition; Hispanic.

For that matter, I'm going to claim I am an "Undocumented worker" since I have no documentation that I am working -- and I can prove it!!!

When can you start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada said: ROLLING on the floor laughing!! None of us have lost our sense of humor -- At least we have that! You are BOTH such sharp, intelligent people. THAT is probably the problem...

Sad but true.

Bahahahahaahhhhhhhhhhh (snort)

Yeah, at my last employer they use to say, "The beating will continue until morale improves".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: If you are going to be rejected, you want to rejected by a person, not by a computer.

By the time, you get to the interview, they may have forgotten that what they really wanted was a Mexican but at least you made it to the interview.

Yes, that's true, afterall, I, too, have my quota to fill. I would feel MUCH better being rejected by a human than computer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada said: RIGHT! You spend hours filling out the app and this race one is the last question! I've never seen a blank for "Other" or would put "Unknown." From now on, I'm going to put Hispanic--am sure I'll go to the top of the pile then. When they see me, I'll let them speculate. So far, no one has ever asked me to "prove" my race. But I'm sure that's coming -- along with DNA testing to check for inherited medical conditions.

no, seriously.there are some black people who look white:Jennifer Beals, Mariah Carey..that actor from Prison Break (Wenworth Miller). So you never know....lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: When can you start?

Bluetea, I can start anytime -- if can you pick me up and bring me home each day? If I said that, I'm sure I'd get hired.

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: no, seriously.there are some black people who look white:Jennifer Beals, Mariah Carey..that actor from Prison Break (Wenworth Miller). So you never know....lol

That's true. And look at Elizabeth Warren (D) Mass. Now U.S. Senator claiming she was Native American and only had a 10th' of a 10th or something. SHE got a VERY cushy job too. So I guess it works.

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: WTF is wrong with us? Even Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer had jobs. Geeeezus.

From what I've seen lately, there are now quotas that one must hire FELONS. They're about to enter the EEOC's list of "protected groups" too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

yea, but ain't nobody going to hire them. !!!! They're too scared.!!! I would be. The credit check and work experience section will disqualify them on that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada said: From what I've seen lately, there are now quotas that one must hire FELONS. They're about to enter the EEOC's list of "protected groups" too.

It has been suggested that the long term unemployed be made a protected class.

Think what a tax credit I would be: a one-legged, Native American, Iraqi vet, born in Samoa and unemployed! Ka-ching!

My phone would be ringing off the wall!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada said: That's true. And look at Elizabeth Warren (D) Mass. Now U.S. Senator claiming she was Native American and only had a 10th' of a 10th or something. SHE got a VERY cushy job too. So I guess it works.

Look at Michael Jackson, spending all that money trying to become Liz Taylor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: yea, but ain't nobody going to hire them. !!!! They're too scared.!!! I would be. The credit check and work experience section will disqualify them on that.

Hmmm, are you saying there's hope then? LOL!

BTW: Had a phone intervew today (I was laid off in Feb for the 3rd time in a year). I was asked, "And what are you doing now?" I was sooo tempted to say, "I'm talking to YOU on the phone right now, Duh!" What a retarded question... And this is a person WITH A JOB -- in HR!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hmmm, are you saying there's hope then? LOL!

BTW: Had a phone intervew today (I was laid off in Feb for the 3rd time in a year). I was asked, "And what are you doing now?" I was sooo tempted to say, "I'm talking to YOU on the phone right now, Duh!" What a retarded question... And this is a person WITH A JOB -- in HR!

I don't know the answer to that but never, ever say, "Looking for a job". Thats not it.

28 months ago

but think about how F*d up this country is: a felon is more hireable than the long term unemployed who has degrees and work experience? that's why Russians laugh at us, among other valid reasons that are better left for another thread.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: It has been suggested that the long term unemployed be made a protected class.

Think what a tax credit I would be: a one-legged, Native American, Iraqi vet, born in Samoa and unemployed! Ka-ching!

My phone would be ringing off the wall!

Don't forget to add that you are a trans-gender too, Bluetea.. That's a biggie...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: but think about how F*d up this country is: a felon is more hireable than the long term unemployed who has degrees and work experience? that's why Russians laugh at us, among other valid reasons that are better left for another thread.

Gets better. My nephew is a prison guard. We spend $50,000 per inmate per annum and we have 2 million people in prison. You do the math.

Talk about an entitlement program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

As one of you pointed out something similar earlier: I feel I'd have more dignity if I were sitting in a sidewalk with a cup or pan-handling than to admit I'm unemployed. And yes, Grant, it's REALLY sad to see what's happening here in the U.S.

I've not heard anything about the long-term unemployed becoming a protected group. However, if it came to pass, I'm sure that those the deliberately are NOT looking will get the most benefit. Not those like you and me who are told repeatedly in interviews, "Stand on your head, then say, "Red Rover, Red Rover, send a job right over." Then, bend over so we can stick it to you ONE final time for good measure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

2 mill X 50,000, we can go explore space and colonize another planet, just us, the unemployed. We can form our own planet, with our own rules. Let's import HR people as serf labor.And all the Big Banks who created the sub prime mortgage collapse. Don't forget Wall Street. Put them in the gladiatorial ring. They can all "be Spartacus" and "entertain us."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Gets better. My nephew is a prison guard. We spend $50,000 per inmate per annum and we have 2 million people in prison. You do the math.

Talk about an entitlement program.

I have heard that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

GRANT for president next election!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Ulysses S. ??? Been there already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

I nominate Bluetea for Prez...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: 2 mill X 50,000, we can go explore space and colonize another planet, just us, the unemployed. We can form our own planet, with our own rules. Let's import HR people as serf labor.And all the Big Banks who created the sub prime mortgage collapse. Don't forget Wall Street. Put them in the gladiatorial ring. They can all "be Spartacus" and "entertain us."

Taking ideas for my new planet: how about Dystopia? anyone? Thunderdome?

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Any sound fine. However, it should be sub-headed, "The Planet for 'Hire' Learning & Education."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: Nope...lgbt/transg. isn't herm the correct terminology? anybody see Satyricon?

I can't keep up with all the PC name changes.. Did not see Satyricon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Hey, you never know when they might need a one-legged, Native America who was born in Samoa. No tax credit for white caucasians.

I just read a PR piece about Justice Sonia Sotomeyer and how she clawed her way out of the Brox to become a Supreme Court justice. She doesn't mention that she took advantage of every affirmative action program there was!

Yes, these such "underprivileged" are such "American success" stories at ours, our parents' expense. No one ever talks about Obama pumping gas or being a bus-boy at Dennys to put himself through an Ivy League college either, do they?

For those who could not afford college themselves, nor could their parents and went to work at age 16 anyway but born in the U.S. in the "non" category ie; "non-Hispanic" are just SOL.

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Yes, these such "underprivileged" are such "American success" stories at ours, our parents' expense. No one ever talks about Obama pumping gas or being a bus-boy at Dennys to put himself through an Ivy League college either, do they?

For those who could not afford college themselves, nor could their parents and went to work at age 16 anyway but born in the U.S. in the "non" category ie; "non-Hispanic" are just SOL.

Its part of our American mythology.

The last Presidential election was the most expensive on record. As my father use to say, "There are ballot votes and there are dollar votes. Two different conversations".

Obama owes a lot of favors.

Max in Fresh Meadows, New York

28 months ago

You sure about justice Sonia taking advantage of these programs? If so , where is this info?

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Its part of our American mythology.

The last Presidential election was the most expensive on record. As my father use to say, "There are ballot votes and there are dollar votes. Two different conversations".

Obama owes a lot of favors.

A wise man, your father...

KIK in Chicago, Illinois

28 months ago

Yes, these such "underprivileged" are such "American success" stories at ours, our parents' expense. No one ever talks about Obama pumping gas or being a bus-boy at Dennys to put himself through an Ivy League college either, do they?

You all could apply for a job at Stormfront.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

BEM684 in Spring Valley, New York

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I left California, 12 years ago. Overtaxed and over-regulated, I saw one company after another just pick up and leave.

I was working one temp job for an insurance company and they literally came in and took the chairs out from under us. The company was moving to Kansas and had either transferred everybody or let them go.

I finally rented a U-Haul myself and left.

Now the whole state is in the toilet. Nice weather though.

Well, you need nice weather when you've got no office to spend your day in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

FRUSTRATED IN NY in New York, New York

28 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: what suggestions are you looking for? They played you. Move on. Read what I wrote above. Maybe they had an EEOC quota to fill so they have to show on paper how many people they interviewed total; how many of them women, how many black, how many vets, etc. Maybe they wanted a few $10,000 tax credits for the EEOC people they hired on the side, so again, they have to take your information on paper.

They were showing off in front of you when they showed the new building. HR needs to be busy so they get paid.

Move on. Don't waste any more time.They clearly have moved on.

I just red your reply and I have an update: I LANDED THE JOB AND I GOT AN OFFER! HR person contacted me and told me that because of Easter, family problems etc. she was out of the office for few days. SOMETIMES WE NEED TO JUST BE POSITIVE…I do agree that most of the HR people are playing games…But at times they aren’t, at times we need to be positive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

28 months ago

Well, congratulations, New York. Pat yourself on the back (you deserve it), and treat yourself to lunch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sunny in Austin, Texas

28 months ago

Can someone tell me if this is appropriate employer behaviour?
I got this interview 2 months ago. The interview went just great! i think it was the best interview in my life. There were 3 persons in front of me asking questions and I handled it well. next day they said that I need to fill out the form for a background check...and that's it. They checked my background, and nothing.... i was waiting and waiting and waiting. within 2 weeks i sent them an email asking for an update about my status. No response. Another email- no response. After 1 month I called them and nobody answered I left a voicemail...and again no response. is it that hard to call me back and say "hey, we hired someone else" or "thank you for your call, but you are not qualified"?? even after emails and calls is it that hard???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rewstama in Pickering, Ontario

28 months ago

Happens all the time. You need to grow a thicker skin when looking for work.
The first thing I do after any interview, is apply for 5 more jobs that same day.
It keeps my mind off of what happened and keeps me looking forward.
Employers only get one follow up from me. Whether they respond or not, I just move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

Rewstama in Pickering, Ontario said: Happens all the time. You need to grow a thicker skin when looking for work.
The first thing I do after any interview, is apply for 5 more jobs that same day.
It keeps my mind off of what happened and keeps me looking forward.
Employers only get one follow up from me. Whether they respond or not, I just move on.

I do the same thing. Heh!

Monty P in Oceanside, California

28 months ago

At an interview, as soon as I walked in the door, the interviewer said that the job I applied for is filled already. Told me to keep sending applications, just don't show up to interviews... I guess this is a bad sign.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

Sunny in Austin, Texas said: Can someone tell me if this is appropriate employer behaviour?
I got this interview 2 months ago. The interview went just great! i think it was the best interview in my life. There were 3 persons in front of me asking questions and I handled it well. next day they said that I need to fill out the form for a background check...and that's it. They checked my background, and nothing.... i was waiting and waiting and waiting. within 2 weeks i sent them an email asking for an update about my status. No response. Another email- no response. After 1 month I called them and nobody answered I left a voicemail...and again no response. is it that hard to call me back and say "hey, we hired someone else" or "thank you for your call, but you are not qualified"?? even after emails and calls is it that hard???

No company is going to tell you that YOU didn't get the job.

Never, ever wait for a decision based on what they said. People say a lot of things. I give them 30 days and then its over. That's my rule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

28 months ago

Sunny in Austin, Texas said: Can someone tell me if this is appropriate employer behaviour?

Appropriate? Does it matter? If you are interested in a date with someone, and you two actually meet, and that someone decides he doesn't want to date you, does he owe you a phone call to tell you why he doesn't want to date you?

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California

28 months ago

Many people just have no consideration for others and are cowards. It goes beyond job hunting. People just ignore you and hope you get the hint. If you are so privileged to get someone to communicate, good luck getting them to do so in person or over the phone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California

28 months ago

When an interviewer is bringing up every possible reason why the job "may" not be right for you, you didn't get the job.

An interviewer recently told me that his partner was kind of hard to deal with and have caused people to cry. I said, "No problem. I'm thick skinned." "You might be required to go to her home, which is 50 miles from here." "Okay. I don't have a problem with that." Whatever he said, I had an answer for. Your move, jerk. A ridiculous statement deserves no less than a ridiculous response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

Experienced Seeker in Schaumburg, Illinois

28 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: When an interviewer is bringing up every possible reason why the job "may" not be right for you, you didn't get the job.

I went through an unprofessional interview experience not so long ago where this was happening in spades. Hindsight is 20/20, but sometimes in an interview, we only see what we want to see. They did me a favor not giving me the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

The future freaks me out in Kihei, Hawaii

27 months ago

For me, there's always a moment when things go downhill. It's hardly ever something they say, but rather a change in body language that tells me I'm blowing it. They stop smiling and the conversation starts to feel like an interrogation. They start to look disinterested like they're going through the motions.

Having terrible anxiety doesn't help at all especially when it starts to act up. Job interviews: they're like public speaking on steroids. All the same pressure, but for many, life and death consequences.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Howdumbcanyouget in Brooklyn, New York

27 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: The latest political climate has been to force feed African American ethnocentrism and preferential affirmative action policies down our throats.Every time you turn the tv on, pull out a paper, on the Internet, go to your grocery store . Nothing wrong with being black but this is like going way too far already. Where am I living? My ancestors of Russian descent didn't own slaves on this continent so I have nothing to apologize or make up for, ok> I don't owe nobody nothing. I have my own culture and ethnicity but you don't see me parading with signs or evangelizing people on it. Please already. Let's all just find jobs and work. You celebrate your culture on your time and on your dime, not mine. In office culture, I've noticed many black women are often hateful towards white women. Outside of office culture it's been fine. Something about corporate America that promotes that?

Very sad to see your hateful words! I came on this board interested in the topic. It's hard enough to be out of work only to come across ignorant comments like your's. thank you for noting that there is nothing wrong with being black. Did you know that black women weren't allowed admission into many top Universities untl the 1970's? Now, forty years later you feel the government shouldn't keep track of employers to make sure they aren't breaking the law by discriminating against us? If you we're hiring, I'd definitely be interested in keeping track. And you are right on one point, "you don't owe nobody nothing!" Same right back to you... Mwah haters!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

KIK in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

>>Very sad to see your hateful words! I came on this board interested in the topic. It's hard enough to be out of work only to come across ignorant comments like your's. thank you for noting that there is nothing wrong with being black<<

Heh....Good for you HDCYG!

I told those ding dongs they should apply for a job at Stormfront.
It's very disgusting to come to a site about getting a job and have to read through page after page of that thinly veiled racism garbage. No wonder no one will hire them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.