Things interviewers say that let's you know you won't get an offer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 267)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

very concern applicant in Miami, Florida

28 months ago

so I went to a job interview at a hospital for a Sitter position..
everything went well I got interviewed two times the same day one with the HR department and the other with adovcate department. they all seem interested in me and love my responses.

but my concern is that since this is a Pool position, the lady from HR ask for my Social and driver's license so she can make copies( I been to alot of interviews none of them ever ask me for that unless I got the job or something)So I think I got the job even though they told me they'll call me next week(this happend thursday so it's already next week)they say they'll call me for the next process(which is orientation and all that) but so far I haven't gotten a call so I am worried..does this mean I still got the job since they already took my social and driver's license? but I just got to wait till they get more people since is a Pool posistion?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Adira

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Good for you. I hate the 3rd interview. They get really picky.

I can make it through two interviews but never seem to have enough material for the 3rd one.

What else do you talk about after that? It should be salary negotiations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed:( in Brampton, Ontario

28 months ago

Had a personal interview today and he said that this was basically an interview just to meet me, I will get info in a weeks time. Does this mean I got the job? Talked about training, wages and what to wear...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

Unemployed:( in Brampton, Ontario said: Had a personal interview today and he said that this was basically an interview just to meet me, I will get info in a weeks time. Does this mean I got the job? Talked about training, wages and what to wear...

This means nothing. Keep applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bea Poztiv in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

I have run into the same situation with prospective employers asking me for my SSN, DL, banking info and auto make and model after the first interview--without a job offer on the table. Each time, I've refused and will continue to do so. If there is a legitimate offer on the table, you should get a written offer letter -- at the very least congingent upon passing the background check. I've had my identity stolen and it's a nightmare, not worth being only promised that you might get a second interivew.

Bottom line: GET THE OFFER IN WRITING B-E-F-O-RE you turn over such sensitive information. CYA! There are too many scams out there preying on the vulnerable unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Los Angeles, California

26 months ago

Under-Employed in Memphis, Tennessee said: Well, I had all the signs of a great interview. First round went well, got a call back for a second interview within days. Interviewed with the CEO (this is with a small local chapter of a nationwide nonprofit). I felt like I nailed it. The CEO asked me to send a list of references to the HR director when I got home that afternoon so they could get the ball rolling. Asked about what time I would need off for my upcoming wedding. Said they'd make a decision within two weeks. That was a month ago tomorrow and I haven't heard a word since. WHY?!?!?!?!

When employers are in the middle of hiring decisions especially the 2nd part of an interview they do not like their potential candidate to take time off when they want you to come to work after investing time into you and train you for the position. Employers would not offer the position to you never advised them you need time off in the begginning of hiring decisions they will simply remove your resume. In the future if you need time off such as a wedding and afterwards honeymoon take care of it first then apply for a career without any time off in the way of your future career. Hopefully this comment helped with your future concerns with time off and new career.

Resume Resource in Philo, Illinois

26 months ago

I agree with Tracy. If the wedding is just a few months out, then I'd focus on the wedding and not even think about a new job just yet. Stay at your other job or work part time somewhere for the time being. If your wedding is 4 months out or more, I would not even mention it in the interview if this really a great job.

I also wouldn't plan on a big honeymoon. However, you might be able to request just a few days off to take a romantic mini-honeymoon. Then after you earn some vacation time, take a 2nd honeymoon.

Sunny in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

26 months ago

I went for an interview to get a promotion and my supervisor asked,"how will you behave and act if you don't get the job" Making me say that "I will keep positive and keep trying for the next position" needless to say I didn't get the position I believe because they found it easier to hire someone for the job I wanted with weekends off 8 to 4 not my primo shift of 2 -1130 with Mondays &tuesdays off

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tea ali in Washington, New Jersey

25 months ago

"We're still interviewing. In fact, I have one more interview tomorrow...We'll let you know by (whatever day)". If they're still considering other people after interviewing you, you probably won't get the job.

I interviewed on a Thursday and it went great. Had a peer interview followed by an interview with the office manager and one of the doctors. Toured the office. Office Manager said they were still interviewing and they'd make a decision by the following Monday and I'd hear from them by Wednesday. I felt I probably didn't get the job but still sent my thank you note and then waited. Never heard from them. Called the following Friday. She said "Remember I said we're still interviewing? I'll let you know next week."!!! Got an email about a month after the original interview saying that they had hired someone who was more qualified. I let it go and moved on. About three weeks later, got a call from the operations manager, I thought it was about another job I had applied for in the same company. The office manager who originally interviewed had told me that we probably wouldn't work together since she was moving on to a new position. Turned out the job I had originally applied for had never been filled before she left. I was called in for another interview with the new office manager...None of the spark I got the first time around...I guess she didn't know what to ask me and it just seemed awkward. Told me to give her about two weeks. Nothing so far. Not feeling as excited about this job as I was in the beginning. I'm not waiting around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

I had an interview yesterday where it was what he didn't say that let me know that I didn't do well. When we had wrapped up, I asked what were next steps in the process, and he just thanked me for my time.

Other gems I've experienced that let me know I was not their person:
- "what does your husband think of you applying for this job". It's inappropriateneas was a indication that they weren't serious.
- I was once called the wrong name by an interviewer when he was thanking me for my time
- a hiring manager once wrote down all my answers verbatim and then told me he didn't even understand what my job was. He was going to send my answers to a friend at another company for feedback. I took this as his passive aggressive way of saying "not interested"
- when an interview finishes much quicker than the allotted time I know I won't get it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I had an interview yesterday where it was what he didn't say that let me know that I didn't do well. When we had wrapped up, I asked what were next steps in the process, and he just thanked me for my time.

Other gems I've experienced that let me know I was not their person:
- "what does your husband think of you applying for this job". It's inappropriateneas was a indication that they weren't serious.
- I was once called the wrong name by an interviewer when he was thanking me for my time
- a hiring manager once wrote down all my answers verbatim and then told me he didn't even understand what my job was. He was going to send my answers to a friend at another company for feedback. I took this as his passive aggressive way of saying "not interested"
- when an interview finishes much quicker than the allotted time I know I won't get it

Had an interview once and when it was wrapping up, I casually asked when their hiring decision had to be made? The guy shuffled some papers, gave me a toothy smile and said, "Oh, we are in no hurry. With 20 million unemployed people, I am sure we will find someone".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Max in Fresh Meadows, New York

25 months ago

You will have more luck winning the lottery than getting a job !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dominickcardeo in Los Angeles, California

25 months ago

A lot of people already said some of these, but here is how you know you didn't get the job:

1. The interview is shorter than planned
2. The person interviewing you doesn't talk much and doesn't smile
3. They don't volunteer the next steps, like hey I want you to meet the team or you'll hear from us in a week, etc.

Usually when someone has wanted to hire me I hear from them in less than 24 hours, but almost always in less than 48.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

I just cancelled an interview appointment with an ER veterinary clinic and told them I'd appreciate it if they kept me on file for future openings. Their response was, "I cannot comment on what the future holds." SERIOUSLY? Most employers would be obliging enough to do that, especially since employees come and go and they know they'll have to hire in the future. Guess this basically tells me I'm not a strong enough candidate to bother pursuing now or in the immediate future so I shouldn't be crying over spilt milk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

25 months ago

Under-Employed in Memphis, Tennessee said: Well, I had all the signs of a great interview. First round went well, got a call back for a second interview within days. Interviewed with the CEO (this is with a small local chapter of a nationwide nonprofit). I felt like I nailed it. The CEO asked me to send a list of references to the HR director when I got home that afternoon so they could get the ball rolling. Asked about what time I would need off for my upcoming wedding. Said they'd make a decision within two weeks. That was a month ago tomorrow and I haven't heard a word since. WHY?!?!?!?!

Did you follow up with a phone call? Maybe some grant fell through or fundraising took a nosedive. So it's not that they don't want you. A followup would keep channels open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

25 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I just cancelled an interview appointment with an ER veterinary clinic and told them I'd appreciate it if they kept me on file for future openings. Their response was, "I cannot comment on what the future holds." SERIOUSLY? Most employers would be obliging enough to do that, especially since employees come and go and they know they'll have to hire in the future. Guess this basically tells me I'm not a strong enough candidate to bother pursuing now or in the immediate future so I shouldn't be crying over spilt milk.

Why did you cancel?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

UrbanGirl in Tulsa, Oklahoma

25 months ago

sighing in southern, New Jersey said: Nice. Real nice. Sigh.
Lucky you. Who would want to work for someone like that anyhow? The person actually did you a favor by the sound of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

UrbanGirl in Tulsa, Oklahoma

25 months ago

What do they ask you on a hour and a half second interview? I have never had one this long before. The first was good. The next one will be with the man who I interviewed with originally and two other people. One being the CEO of the company. I am scared to pieces here. The first was hard enough. I have never had such an extensive interview in my life. It is not for anything that huge.

It is an important job but not important enough for an interview that long with the CEO of the company. I have no idea how to prepare and I am afraid that I will definitely stumble on my words. I am confident but this is a bit out of my league and enough to make anyone shake in their shoes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

media professional in Waco, Texas

25 months ago

Be sure to ask the company what EXACTLY they're looking for. I'm a media professional who applied for an entry-level position (we're talking internship level here folks) at a prestigious law firm in Houston via their website last week. I met all of their minimum requirements but was surprised because they got back to me the same day. I had an hour-long phone interview the next day with HR and an office interview five days later, which I thought went pretty well.

I got an e-mail the next day saying they decided to look for someone who had legal experience. I'm not sad, just pretty irritated that they called my references, ran the background check and held two interviews with me...even though they knew they wanted a paralegal. I mean I guess I could have asked that during the phone interview, but couldn't they have weeded my resume out beforehand? The good thing is that I didn't stop the job search while I was waiting to be interviewed so I have some pretty good leads right now. Don't give up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York said: Why did you cancel?

I'm not ready for what an ER veterinary clinic would throw at me work wise. I've never even worked in a walk-in ER, urgent or immediate care clinic for people. These places are very, very busy and they want to make sure whomever they hire to work there can handle the extremely fast pace of the clinic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

InterviewSuccessFormula in Reston, Virginia

25 months ago

So what are some things that interviewers say or do that lets you know that you're not going to get the job offer? Well, if the interviewer cuts the interview off very quickly. For instance, if you were scheduled to have a 1 hour interview and they stop asking questions after about 10 to 15 minutes, that's a pretty good sign that the interviewer is no longer interested in interviewing you and has decided not to offer you the position.

Another indicator of not being offered the position going forward, is when you ask the question at the end of your interview, "What are the next steps in the process?" and they say something like, "Will let you know. " or they are acting vague or sort of not sure of what to say. That's another sign that the interviewer is not interested in moving forward with you as a candidate.

If the interviewer doesn't seem to be paying attention to you throughout the interview, if they seem to be playing with their phone or their computer or otherwise "checked out". That's another good indicator that they’re not going to be hiring you for the position.

Now if you do encounter any of these signs or signals that suggests that you're not going to get the offer, what you can do is try to give yourself a second chance or at least get some information, and say " I'm just curious how I'm performing during the interview and whether there's anything I am doing that suggests that I'm really not excited about this position. I believe that this position is a great match for me, but if you have any doubts or hesitations I would be extremely grateful if you would share what those are so I can correct them with you today or address those before going forward. Is there anything like that that I should know about?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

christian317 in boston, Massachusetts

25 months ago

It was fun reading other's take on interviews.

I just went to an interview for a job that was EXACTLY the same as my position from my last job and was kind of surprised I didn't get it.

The thing is, the interview exhibited all the signs people listed as "positive" signs you're getting the job!

I was interviewed by 2 people, I had the necessary experience for it, they asked me very detailed questions so the interview went on for an hour, and I exchanged anecdotes with the manager (one of the interviewers) and basically seemed to have good rapport. At the end, they gave me a specific time for when they'll give me an answer, and even told me I was the last of their interviews. All seemed like good signs, so you can imagine my surprise an disappointment when I was told that I didn't get it.

On the other hand, looking back, the signs I would not get the job:
1) The interviewers seemed distracted, and I caught their eye contact drifting off a few times towards a window--this started right in the beginning.
2)they were just asking questions from a long list
3)one interviewer in particular was very blatantly not engaged in it--hardly maintained eye contact, and was reading off the list of questions

It seems like there is no definitive sign you are/aren't getting the job though :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Goneoffeverything in Virginia

25 months ago

One way that I have learned I probably won't get the job is when they hand me the dreaded business card at the end of the interview. Every job that I have held has never involved me getting a business card. The ones I don't get, they always give me business cards at the end of the interview followed by "let me walk you out"..and I never hear from them again. They give you their cards and say "call/email me if you have any questions" Ha, yea right. At this stage in the game, what else could I possibly have to ask you if I don't even have the job? Some people say that you get the card so you can send a thank you letter, but to be honest most of them could care less whether you send one or not. If they are going to hire you they will and if they won't they won't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Some people say that you get the card so you can send a thank you letter, but to be honest most of them could care less whether you send one or not. If they are going to hire you they will and if they won't they won't.

That's nonsense and no hiring decision hangs on whether or not you send a Thank You card. That's bull$hit.

I am not getting very many business cards lately. Hmmmm? Maybe they are tired of getting Thank You cards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

christian317 in boston, Massachusetts said:
On the other hand, looking back, the signs I would not get the job:
1) The interviewers seemed distracted, and I caught their eye contact drifting off a few times towards a window--this started right in the beginning.

LOL! Yeah, that's usually a bad sign. Sleeping is another.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: LOL! Yeah, that's usually a bad sign. Sleeping is another.

Wow! One lady was so rude she actually fell asleep during the interview. I know I wasn't that damn boring. She was trying to be a smartass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

25 months ago

Body language. Towards the end of the interview you can spot it. Sometimes you can spot it before the interview starts.
It's not in words. Usually there are no verbal ques: some will be extremely formal and give you a reassurance that it is a matter of days before they finalize their decision and let you know: but you know in your guts they decided to look for someone else.
Only very few will show unprofessional, rude attitude (like walking you out abruptly or sleeping, as one poster above described, during an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Wow! One lady was so rude she actually fell asleep during the interview. I know I wasn't that damn boring. She was trying to be a smartass.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Just kidding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

25 months ago

I think it just comes down to the company culture. I've learned that the relaxed cultures are based on popularity, the formal cultures are based on how well you follow orders and stay in line and the messed up cultures based on how independent you are along with low pay which is usually compensated by the 70 hours you work making pretty things for them in which they take credit for. Then of course there's the chop shop culture that combines all of them which is just a good point to be employed. Out of all this BS I decided it's best to create my own company. What to make? Hell if I know but I do know that I finally learned not to blurt out my ideas and get a patent first. However, all these patent companies and "incubator" companies make me angry. Solution: Build a spaceship and get off this crazy place. I'm not bitter or anything like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

christian317 in boston, Massachusetts

25 months ago

LOL @Bluetea and Goneoffeverything!

Yea that other person who interviewed me didn't even try to hide it, I honestly thought she was hungover or something, given the fact that she only gave eye contact briefly when she felt me turning towards her and laughed weakly at things I said that I didn't think were that funny...I wonder how they got hired themselves.

Alright, I'm gonna try to stop being bitter now...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

What about the interviews you spend all that time getting prepared for only to have it last under 10 minutes? FAIL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Schaumburg, Illinois

23 months ago

An interview asked about 50 questions and wrote down the answers and I asked them a few questions regarding things I saw on their website, they were impressed that I did my homework, but still did not hear anything back. They left it at we are interviewing all week and you will hear something back. Maybe the rejection letter if anything. I have never got the job when they tell me that they are interviewing all week or I am the first interview. They must tell everyone that they are the first, as they will not be the last.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom

23 months ago

In the business I have been in we always responded with a follow up email/letter to let one know they where rejected. Then again some companies get so over whelmed by how many applicants apply that it can be hard to send out a rejection letter. But on the other hand it does not feel nice when your waiting to find out and hear nothing in return at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Janice Wells in Torrance, California

20 months ago

I hear what you are saying about the 30/60/90 day plans being used against you. I hadn't thought of that. I was not asked..I initiated mine just based on their job duties (which was plentiful in the original ad). I added a few nuggets of my own. I suppose in a sales position, these plans are commonplace and candidates may feel used by unscrupulous managers! What my Plan did for me was engage the 2 sales executives in a conversation where we went over each month together to see if the timeline was achievable and realistic. It actually brought about more conversation about the position. Furthermore, I asked them 3 hard questions that I read about on The Ladders website and got them talking even more! I knew after that final interview that I gave it my best interview ever! So I still say blow them away with a 30/60/90 day plan and go out in a blaze of glory!! Good luck to everyone!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lol don't in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

When the interviewer doesn't give you much time to answer questions and continues on with more questions. Also when they talk about the job description and the benefits and never really ask you anything, you know you don't have it. All that talk is just filler.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

laidoffafter17years in Ottawa, Ontario

18 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: What about the interviews you spend all that time getting prepared for only to have it last under 10 minutes? FAIL!

yes! I hate those!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

I had my first face to face interview in 17 years! I really wanted the job, was qualified and worked so hard to prepare! once I got there I was so bloody nervous I couldn't remember half the stuff I prepared for! I paused a lot and was embarrassed, I could feel my face get red! anyway, the scheduled interview was for an hour, I was out in 25 minutes..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

laidoffafter17years in Ottawa, Ontario said: I had my first face to face interview in 17 years! I really wanted the job, was qualified and worked so hard to prepare! once I got there I was so bloody nervous I couldn't remember half the stuff I prepared for! I paused a lot and was embarrassed, I could feel my face get red! anyway, the scheduled interview was for an hour, I was out in 25 minutes..

That has happened to all of us. When I first started interviewing again, I was horrible at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio

18 months ago

laidoffafter17years in Ottawa, Ontario said: I had my first face to face interview in 17 years! I really wanted the job, was qualified and worked so hard to prepare! once I got there I was so bloody nervous I couldn't remember half the stuff I prepared for! I paused a lot and was embarrassed, I could feel my face get red! anyway, the scheduled interview was for an hour, I was out in 25 minutes..

The more you interview, the less stressful your interviews will be. Every interview... bad as well as good... can be a learning experience. Keep at it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio said: The more you interview, the less stressful your interviews will be. Every interview... bad as well as good... can be a learning experience. Keep at it!

Thanks! I can't wait for that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wc in Reynoldsburg, Ohio

18 months ago

I stopped looking for a job when I was competing with an internal canidate transferring from another dept but had no expierence to my 5 yrs exp in the job applied for. To top that off their HR "process" could take 60 days & this lady was gauranteed to retire in 90 days. So I didnt get the job. I guess they trained her then she retired in about 45 days. HR needs to sign off on interviews then pay a fine when they BS people like that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FedupoffRejection in Ottawa, Ontario

18 months ago

I am a MDRT, graduated a little over a year ago jobless since aug 2012...Exciting!! I've been applying at dead end jobs with no result. In two years, I've been to 5 interviews, 2 are from the same place(one screening and one formal). One for food service attendant in the hospital which went well. One with Target(didn't care much for). And another with my old employer. Applied at timmies and lil jobs like that and im figuring because i have college that they are not even considering me.
I went on my screening last week and my formal interview today to get into the career i went to school for. It seems like im a good candidate but i have horrible confidence and i dont want to get my hopes up too high. I had good signs at the interview, it was with the CSR manager and a team leader. They asked me a few questions, i asked a few questions, they asked my availability and i said im available, i want to work. When would i be able to start. I said as soon as possible. They told me if I were to be hired new hire orientation is on april 7. And they asked if I ever worked nights. I said no but i'm fine with it. It's shift work. They said because of my availability im a top candidate...they said they'll call me next week. Jobs in this area of expertise are almost non existent.

And another thing you guys are talking about that i feel strongly about is when people say your not doing everything you can to get a anything job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AbsolutelyWorthless in Hatfield, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

How I know I haven't gotten a job:

1) They start to ask questions about and focus on past failures. Not the standard "What is your greatest challenge and how do you overcome it?" question. But when they really start asking questions about any past terminations, disciplinary write ups, then start interrogating you. "Okay, so you said that your last job was just not a 'good fit'. So you can only function in a job that is perfectly tailored to you? You aren't adaptable? You don't have the ability to learn new skills?"

2) If it ends with "We have a lot of candidate for this position we need to interview, but we'll be in touch." that means you didn't stand out. There's nothing to say that you are anything special.

3) If every question is challenged and every answer to the challenge is twisted to be wrong. "So, you're saying you were second in sales at your last job? Why should we hire a person who wasn't number one?" "So you were able to calm down that difficult customer and she left good feedback about you? Why were you not able to anticipate her needs from the beginning and avoid the whole conflict?" "So you're saying you would tattle on a co-worker for stealing a measly five dollars? You have so little respect for your supervisor you'd think they have nothing better to do than to go after five dollars" You: "Well...maybe not." Interviewer: "So you're saying you'd cover it up, turn a blind eye to wrong doing?"

And all in all, if you have a termination on your record, you can kiss any job other than Wal Mart or McDonald's goodbye. People don't want applicants who learned from failure and mistakes. They want people who were smart enough to succeed the first time, every time, and pay attention to detail, thus rarely making mistakes. You're either a born loser or a born winner, and no amount of hard work is going to turn a loser into a winner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Max Metro in St Louis, Missouri

17 months ago

If you didn't get the job, they will be very distant and vague at the end of the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vitaver Jobs in Fort lauderdale, Florida

17 months ago

You have raised a very interesting topic here, but as I work in the staffing industry I want to assure you that recruiters try their best not to show preferences or moreover, their dislikes. But one should bear in mind that recruiters are humans as well, they have emotions and feelings. That is why sometimes it seems that you can tell from their behavior, gestures or words. But don’t be mislead by these gestures or even words. One should be a great psychologist to see what exactly the recruiters think about the candidate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I interviewed for a position at a small tech startup last week with the hiring manager, and then had a second round panel interview via skype with the hiring manager, his team, and two of his peers. I thought the interview went well and I sent a thank you note an hour after. Hiring manager responded within 15 minutes thanking me for taking the time to interview and he said "myself or our HR contact will be in touch with you within the next week."

Does this mean I didn't get the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

17 months ago

Alex in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I interviewed for a position at a small tech startup last week with the hiring manager, and then had a second round panel interview via skype with the hiring manager, his team, and two of his peers. I thought the interview went well and I sent a thank you note an hour after. Hiring manager responded within 15 minutes thanking me for taking the time to interview and he said "myself or our HR contact will be in touch with you within the next week."

Does this mean I didn't get the job?

Standard verbiage; doesn't mean anything. That being said, I've never heard back from HR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vitaver Jobs in Fort lauderdale, Florida

17 months ago

Hi Alex,

I have spoken to many recruiters as I work for IT staffing company. The interview process is a complicated one, and it needs to be thought over and thoroughly discussed. Why have you made such a conclusion? Were there any other signs? Becasue from what you wrote I can't see a single prove of you not getting that job. If you think a week is too long for the HR to analyze your interview, you are mistaken. They might have other candidates and interviews as well. That is why it takes time for the HR department to finalize their decision.
Stay positive and good luck with this job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

AnnoyedUnemployedandFrustated in Mount Vernon, New York

17 months ago

Under-Employed in Memphis, Tennessee said: I did. I sent thank-you emails to everyone within hours of my interviews. Sigh. I am currently employed but this is the most toxic environment I've ever been in in my life. Folks are leaving left and right. My boss I worked under for a year left a few months ago and has been warning me I need to get out of here ASAP. Now, current employees who are in upper management are warning me of the same thing. Everyone here is looking for other jobs. We work under a HORRIBLE woman who is running this organization into the ground.

Ugh, I've totally been there. Please...hang in there. The end might be nearer than you realize.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lily116 in Ossining, New York

16 months ago

What about this?

I went on a 2nd interview for director of nursing position a week ago. I met with a VP and another director and it went really well. When I went back to HR we talked a bit about salary range etc. when I didn't hear back a week later I reached out to HR contact via email ..just expressing my continued interest and where they were in the process.

His response was.: "Thanks for following up.  We are still in the process of 2nd interviews, and probably won't know about next steps until later next week.  Thank you for your continued interest, and let's talk by the end of next week."

What do you think? Am I still in the running? Do I still have a chance or not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.