Things interviewers say that let's you know you won't get an offer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 316)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

21 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: Nope...lgbt/transg. isn't herm the correct terminology? anybody see Satyricon?

I can't keep up with all the PC name changes.. Did not see Satyricon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

21 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Hey, you never know when they might need a one-legged, Native America who was born in Samoa. No tax credit for white caucasians.

I just read a PR piece about Justice Sonia Sotomeyer and how she clawed her way out of the Brox to become a Supreme Court justice. She doesn't mention that she took advantage of every affirmative action program there was!

Yes, these such "underprivileged" are such "American success" stories at ours, our parents' expense. No one ever talks about Obama pumping gas or being a bus-boy at Dennys to put himself through an Ivy League college either, do they?

For those who could not afford college themselves, nor could their parents and went to work at age 16 anyway but born in the U.S. in the "non" category ie; "non-Hispanic" are just SOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

21 months ago

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Yes, these such "underprivileged" are such "American success" stories at ours, our parents' expense. No one ever talks about Obama pumping gas or being a bus-boy at Dennys to put himself through an Ivy League college either, do they?

For those who could not afford college themselves, nor could their parents and went to work at age 16 anyway but born in the U.S. in the "non" category ie; "non-Hispanic" are just SOL.

Its part of our American mythology.

The last Presidential election was the most expensive on record. As my father use to say, "There are ballot votes and there are dollar votes. Two different conversations".

Obama owes a lot of favors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Max in Fresh Meadows, New York

21 months ago

You sure about justice Sonia taking advantage of these programs? If so , where is this info?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

21 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Its part of our American mythology.

The last Presidential election was the most expensive on record. As my father use to say, "There are ballot votes and there are dollar votes. Two different conversations".

Obama owes a lot of favors.

A wise man, your father...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KIK in Chicago, Illinois

21 months ago

Yes, these such "underprivileged" are such "American success" stories at ours, our parents' expense. No one ever talks about Obama pumping gas or being a bus-boy at Dennys to put himself through an Ivy League college either, do they?

You all could apply for a job at Stormfront.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

BEM684 in Spring Valley, New York

21 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I left California, 12 years ago. Overtaxed and over-regulated, I saw one company after another just pick up and leave.

I was working one temp job for an insurance company and they literally came in and took the chairs out from under us. The company was moving to Kansas and had either transferred everybody or let them go.

I finally rented a U-Haul myself and left.

Now the whole state is in the toilet. Nice weather though.

Well, you need nice weather when you've got no office to spend your day in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

FRUSTRATED IN NY in New York, New York

20 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: what suggestions are you looking for? They played you. Move on. Read what I wrote above. Maybe they had an EEOC quota to fill so they have to show on paper how many people they interviewed total; how many of them women, how many black, how many vets, etc. Maybe they wanted a few $10,000 tax credits for the EEOC people they hired on the side, so again, they have to take your information on paper.

They were showing off in front of you when they showed the new building. HR needs to be busy so they get paid.

Move on. Don't waste any more time.They clearly have moved on.

I just red your reply and I have an update: I LANDED THE JOB AND I GOT AN OFFER! HR person contacted me and told me that because of Easter, family problems etc. she was out of the office for few days. SOMETIMES WE NEED TO JUST BE POSITIVE…I do agree that most of the HR people are playing games…But at times they aren’t, at times we need to be positive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

20 months ago

Well, congratulations, New York. Pat yourself on the back (you deserve it), and treat yourself to lunch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sunny in Austin, Texas

20 months ago

Can someone tell me if this is appropriate employer behaviour?
I got this interview 2 months ago. The interview went just great! i think it was the best interview in my life. There were 3 persons in front of me asking questions and I handled it well. next day they said that I need to fill out the form for a background check...and that's it. They checked my background, and nothing.... i was waiting and waiting and waiting. within 2 weeks i sent them an email asking for an update about my status. No response. Another email- no response. After 1 month I called them and nobody answered I left a voicemail...and again no response. is it that hard to call me back and say "hey, we hired someone else" or "thank you for your call, but you are not qualified"?? even after emails and calls is it that hard???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rewstama in Pickering, Ontario

20 months ago

Happens all the time. You need to grow a thicker skin when looking for work.
The first thing I do after any interview, is apply for 5 more jobs that same day.
It keeps my mind off of what happened and keeps me looking forward.
Employers only get one follow up from me. Whether they respond or not, I just move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

20 months ago

Rewstama in Pickering, Ontario said: Happens all the time. You need to grow a thicker skin when looking for work.
The first thing I do after any interview, is apply for 5 more jobs that same day.
It keeps my mind off of what happened and keeps me looking forward.
Employers only get one follow up from me. Whether they respond or not, I just move on.

I do the same thing. Heh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monty P in Oceanside, California

20 months ago

At an interview, as soon as I walked in the door, the interviewer said that the job I applied for is filled already. Told me to keep sending applications, just don't show up to interviews... I guess this is a bad sign.

Bluetea in Texas

20 months ago

Sunny in Austin, Texas said: Can someone tell me if this is appropriate employer behaviour?
I got this interview 2 months ago. The interview went just great! i think it was the best interview in my life. There were 3 persons in front of me asking questions and I handled it well. next day they said that I need to fill out the form for a background check...and that's it. They checked my background, and nothing.... i was waiting and waiting and waiting. within 2 weeks i sent them an email asking for an update about my status. No response. Another email- no response. After 1 month I called them and nobody answered I left a voicemail...and again no response. is it that hard to call me back and say "hey, we hired someone else" or "thank you for your call, but you are not qualified"?? even after emails and calls is it that hard???

No company is going to tell you that YOU didn't get the job.

Never, ever wait for a decision based on what they said. People say a lot of things. I give them 30 days and then its over. That's my rule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

20 months ago

Sunny in Austin, Texas said: Can someone tell me if this is appropriate employer behaviour?

Appropriate? Does it matter? If you are interested in a date with someone, and you two actually meet, and that someone decides he doesn't want to date you, does he owe you a phone call to tell you why he doesn't want to date you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California

20 months ago

Many people just have no consideration for others and are cowards. It goes beyond job hunting. People just ignore you and hope you get the hint. If you are so privileged to get someone to communicate, good luck getting them to do so in person or over the phone.

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California

20 months ago

When an interviewer is bringing up every possible reason why the job "may" not be right for you, you didn't get the job.

An interviewer recently told me that his partner was kind of hard to deal with and have caused people to cry. I said, "No problem. I'm thick skinned." "You might be required to go to her home, which is 50 miles from here." "Okay. I don't have a problem with that." Whatever he said, I had an answer for. Your move, jerk. A ridiculous statement deserves no less than a ridiculous response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Experienced Seeker in Schaumburg, Illinois

20 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: When an interviewer is bringing up every possible reason why the job "may" not be right for you, you didn't get the job.

I went through an unprofessional interview experience not so long ago where this was happening in spades. Hindsight is 20/20, but sometimes in an interview, we only see what we want to see. They did me a favor not giving me the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

The future freaks me out in Kihei, Hawaii

20 months ago

For me, there's always a moment when things go downhill. It's hardly ever something they say, but rather a change in body language that tells me I'm blowing it. They stop smiling and the conversation starts to feel like an interrogation. They start to look disinterested like they're going through the motions.

Having terrible anxiety doesn't help at all especially when it starts to act up. Job interviews: they're like public speaking on steroids. All the same pressure, but for many, life and death consequences.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Howdumbcanyouget in Brooklyn, New York

20 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: The latest political climate has been to force feed African American ethnocentrism and preferential affirmative action policies down our throats.Every time you turn the tv on, pull out a paper, on the Internet, go to your grocery store . Nothing wrong with being black but this is like going way too far already. Where am I living? My ancestors of Russian descent didn't own slaves on this continent so I have nothing to apologize or make up for, ok> I don't owe nobody nothing. I have my own culture and ethnicity but you don't see me parading with signs or evangelizing people on it. Please already. Let's all just find jobs and work. You celebrate your culture on your time and on your dime, not mine. In office culture, I've noticed many black women are often hateful towards white women. Outside of office culture it's been fine. Something about corporate America that promotes that?

Very sad to see your hateful words! I came on this board interested in the topic. It's hard enough to be out of work only to come across ignorant comments like your's. thank you for noting that there is nothing wrong with being black. Did you know that black women weren't allowed admission into many top Universities untl the 1970's? Now, forty years later you feel the government shouldn't keep track of employers to make sure they aren't breaking the law by discriminating against us? If you we're hiring, I'd definitely be interested in keeping track. And you are right on one point, "you don't owe nobody nothing!" Same right back to you... Mwah haters!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

KIK in Chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

>>Very sad to see your hateful words! I came on this board interested in the topic. It's hard enough to be out of work only to come across ignorant comments like your's. thank you for noting that there is nothing wrong with being black<<

Heh....Good for you HDCYG!

I told those ding dongs they should apply for a job at Stormfront.
It's very disgusting to come to a site about getting a job and have to read through page after page of that thinly veiled racism garbage. No wonder no one will hire them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

very concern applicant in Miami, Florida

20 months ago

so I went to a job interview at a hospital for a Sitter position..
everything went well I got interviewed two times the same day one with the HR department and the other with adovcate department. they all seem interested in me and love my responses.

but my concern is that since this is a Pool position, the lady from HR ask for my Social and driver's license so she can make copies( I been to alot of interviews none of them ever ask me for that unless I got the job or something)So I think I got the job even though they told me they'll call me next week(this happend thursday so it's already next week)they say they'll call me for the next process(which is orientation and all that) but so far I haven't gotten a call so I am worried..does this mean I still got the job since they already took my social and driver's license? but I just got to wait till they get more people since is a Pool posistion?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Adira

20 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Good for you. I hate the 3rd interview. They get really picky.

I can make it through two interviews but never seem to have enough material for the 3rd one.

What else do you talk about after that? It should be salary negotiations.

Unemployed:( in Brampton, Ontario

19 months ago

Had a personal interview today and he said that this was basically an interview just to meet me, I will get info in a weeks time. Does this mean I got the job? Talked about training, wages and what to wear...

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Unemployed:( in Brampton, Ontario said: Had a personal interview today and he said that this was basically an interview just to meet me, I will get info in a weeks time. Does this mean I got the job? Talked about training, wages and what to wear...

This means nothing. Keep applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bea Poztiv in Las Vegas, Nevada

19 months ago

I have run into the same situation with prospective employers asking me for my SSN, DL, banking info and auto make and model after the first interview--without a job offer on the table. Each time, I've refused and will continue to do so. If there is a legitimate offer on the table, you should get a written offer letter -- at the very least congingent upon passing the background check. I've had my identity stolen and it's a nightmare, not worth being only promised that you might get a second interivew.

Bottom line: GET THE OFFER IN WRITING B-E-F-O-RE you turn over such sensitive information. CYA! There are too many scams out there preying on the vulnerable unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Los Angeles, California

18 months ago

Under-Employed in Memphis, Tennessee said: Well, I had all the signs of a great interview. First round went well, got a call back for a second interview within days. Interviewed with the CEO (this is with a small local chapter of a nationwide nonprofit). I felt like I nailed it. The CEO asked me to send a list of references to the HR director when I got home that afternoon so they could get the ball rolling. Asked about what time I would need off for my upcoming wedding. Said they'd make a decision within two weeks. That was a month ago tomorrow and I haven't heard a word since. WHY?!?!?!?!

When employers are in the middle of hiring decisions especially the 2nd part of an interview they do not like their potential candidate to take time off when they want you to come to work after investing time into you and train you for the position. Employers would not offer the position to you never advised them you need time off in the begginning of hiring decisions they will simply remove your resume. In the future if you need time off such as a wedding and afterwards honeymoon take care of it first then apply for a career without any time off in the way of your future career. Hopefully this comment helped with your future concerns with time off and new career.

Resume Resource in Philo, Illinois

18 months ago

I agree with Tracy. If the wedding is just a few months out, then I'd focus on the wedding and not even think about a new job just yet. Stay at your other job or work part time somewhere for the time being. If your wedding is 4 months out or more, I would not even mention it in the interview if this really a great job.

I also wouldn't plan on a big honeymoon. However, you might be able to request just a few days off to take a romantic mini-honeymoon. Then after you earn some vacation time, take a 2nd honeymoon.

Sunny in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

18 months ago

I went for an interview to get a promotion and my supervisor asked,"how will you behave and act if you don't get the job" Making me say that "I will keep positive and keep trying for the next position" needless to say I didn't get the position I believe because they found it easier to hire someone for the job I wanted with weekends off 8 to 4 not my primo shift of 2 -1130 with Mondays &tuesdays off

tea ali in Washington, New Jersey

17 months ago

"We're still interviewing. In fact, I have one more interview tomorrow...We'll let you know by (whatever day)". If they're still considering other people after interviewing you, you probably won't get the job.

I interviewed on a Thursday and it went great. Had a peer interview followed by an interview with the office manager and one of the doctors. Toured the office. Office Manager said they were still interviewing and they'd make a decision by the following Monday and I'd hear from them by Wednesday. I felt I probably didn't get the job but still sent my thank you note and then waited. Never heard from them. Called the following Friday. She said "Remember I said we're still interviewing? I'll let you know next week."!!! Got an email about a month after the original interview saying that they had hired someone who was more qualified. I let it go and moved on. About three weeks later, got a call from the operations manager, I thought it was about another job I had applied for in the same company. The office manager who originally interviewed had told me that we probably wouldn't work together since she was moving on to a new position. Turned out the job I had originally applied for had never been filled before she left. I was called in for another interview with the new office manager...None of the spark I got the first time around...I guess she didn't know what to ask me and it just seemed awkward. Told me to give her about two weeks. Nothing so far. Not feeling as excited about this job as I was in the beginning. I'm not waiting around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

17 months ago

I had an interview yesterday where it was what he didn't say that let me know that I didn't do well. When we had wrapped up, I asked what were next steps in the process, and he just thanked me for my time.

Other gems I've experienced that let me know I was not their person:
- "what does your husband think of you applying for this job". It's inappropriateneas was a indication that they weren't serious.
- I was once called the wrong name by an interviewer when he was thanking me for my time
- a hiring manager once wrote down all my answers verbatim and then told me he didn't even understand what my job was. He was going to send my answers to a friend at another company for feedback. I took this as his passive aggressive way of saying "not interested"
- when an interview finishes much quicker than the allotted time I know I won't get it

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I had an interview yesterday where it was what he didn't say that let me know that I didn't do well. When we had wrapped up, I asked what were next steps in the process, and he just thanked me for my time.

Other gems I've experienced that let me know I was not their person:
- "what does your husband think of you applying for this job". It's inappropriateneas was a indication that they weren't serious.
- I was once called the wrong name by an interviewer when he was thanking me for my time
- a hiring manager once wrote down all my answers verbatim and then told me he didn't even understand what my job was. He was going to send my answers to a friend at another company for feedback. I took this as his passive aggressive way of saying "not interested"
- when an interview finishes much quicker than the allotted time I know I won't get it

Had an interview once and when it was wrapping up, I casually asked when their hiring decision had to be made? The guy shuffled some papers, gave me a toothy smile and said, "Oh, we are in no hurry. With 20 million unemployed people, I am sure we will find someone".

Max in Fresh Meadows, New York

17 months ago

You will have more luck winning the lottery than getting a job !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dominickcardeo in Los Angeles, California

17 months ago

A lot of people already said some of these, but here is how you know you didn't get the job:

1. The interview is shorter than planned
2. The person interviewing you doesn't talk much and doesn't smile
3. They don't volunteer the next steps, like hey I want you to meet the team or you'll hear from us in a week, etc.

Usually when someone has wanted to hire me I hear from them in less than 24 hours, but almost always in less than 48.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

17 months ago

I just cancelled an interview appointment with an ER veterinary clinic and told them I'd appreciate it if they kept me on file for future openings. Their response was, "I cannot comment on what the future holds." SERIOUSLY? Most employers would be obliging enough to do that, especially since employees come and go and they know they'll have to hire in the future. Guess this basically tells me I'm not a strong enough candidate to bother pursuing now or in the immediate future so I shouldn't be crying over spilt milk.

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

17 months ago

Under-Employed in Memphis, Tennessee said: Well, I had all the signs of a great interview. First round went well, got a call back for a second interview within days. Interviewed with the CEO (this is with a small local chapter of a nationwide nonprofit). I felt like I nailed it. The CEO asked me to send a list of references to the HR director when I got home that afternoon so they could get the ball rolling. Asked about what time I would need off for my upcoming wedding. Said they'd make a decision within two weeks. That was a month ago tomorrow and I haven't heard a word since. WHY?!?!?!?!

Did you follow up with a phone call? Maybe some grant fell through or fundraising took a nosedive. So it's not that they don't want you. A followup would keep channels open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

17 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I just cancelled an interview appointment with an ER veterinary clinic and told them I'd appreciate it if they kept me on file for future openings. Their response was, "I cannot comment on what the future holds." SERIOUSLY? Most employers would be obliging enough to do that, especially since employees come and go and they know they'll have to hire in the future. Guess this basically tells me I'm not a strong enough candidate to bother pursuing now or in the immediate future so I shouldn't be crying over spilt milk.

Why did you cancel?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

UrbanGirl in Tulsa, Oklahoma

17 months ago

sighing in southern, New Jersey said: Nice. Real nice. Sigh.
Lucky you. Who would want to work for someone like that anyhow? The person actually did you a favor by the sound of it.

UrbanGirl in Tulsa, Oklahoma

17 months ago

What do they ask you on a hour and a half second interview? I have never had one this long before. The first was good. The next one will be with the man who I interviewed with originally and two other people. One being the CEO of the company. I am scared to pieces here. The first was hard enough. I have never had such an extensive interview in my life. It is not for anything that huge.

It is an important job but not important enough for an interview that long with the CEO of the company. I have no idea how to prepare and I am afraid that I will definitely stumble on my words. I am confident but this is a bit out of my league and enough to make anyone shake in their shoes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

media professional in Waco, Texas

17 months ago

Be sure to ask the company what EXACTLY they're looking for. I'm a media professional who applied for an entry-level position (we're talking internship level here folks) at a prestigious law firm in Houston via their website last week. I met all of their minimum requirements but was surprised because they got back to me the same day. I had an hour-long phone interview the next day with HR and an office interview five days later, which I thought went pretty well.

I got an e-mail the next day saying they decided to look for someone who had legal experience. I'm not sad, just pretty irritated that they called my references, ran the background check and held two interviews with me...even though they knew they wanted a paralegal. I mean I guess I could have asked that during the phone interview, but couldn't they have weeded my resume out beforehand? The good thing is that I didn't stop the job search while I was waiting to be interviewed so I have some pretty good leads right now. Don't give up!

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

17 months ago

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York said: Why did you cancel?

I'm not ready for what an ER veterinary clinic would throw at me work wise. I've never even worked in a walk-in ER, urgent or immediate care clinic for people. These places are very, very busy and they want to make sure whomever they hire to work there can handle the extremely fast pace of the clinic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

InterviewSuccessFormula in Reston, Virginia

17 months ago

So what are some things that interviewers say or do that lets you know that you're not going to get the job offer? Well, if the interviewer cuts the interview off very quickly. For instance, if you were scheduled to have a 1 hour interview and they stop asking questions after about 10 to 15 minutes, that's a pretty good sign that the interviewer is no longer interested in interviewing you and has decided not to offer you the position.

Another indicator of not being offered the position going forward, is when you ask the question at the end of your interview, "What are the next steps in the process?" and they say something like, "Will let you know. " or they are acting vague or sort of not sure of what to say. That's another sign that the interviewer is not interested in moving forward with you as a candidate.

If the interviewer doesn't seem to be paying attention to you throughout the interview, if they seem to be playing with their phone or their computer or otherwise "checked out". That's another good indicator that they’re not going to be hiring you for the position.

Now if you do encounter any of these signs or signals that suggests that you're not going to get the offer, what you can do is try to give yourself a second chance or at least get some information, and say " I'm just curious how I'm performing during the interview and whether there's anything I am doing that suggests that I'm really not excited about this position. I believe that this position is a great match for me, but if you have any doubts or hesitations I would be extremely grateful if you would share what those are so I can correct them with you today or address those before going forward. Is there anything like that that I should know about?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

christian317 in boston, Massachusetts

16 months ago

It was fun reading other's take on interviews.

I just went to an interview for a job that was EXACTLY the same as my position from my last job and was kind of surprised I didn't get it.

The thing is, the interview exhibited all the signs people listed as "positive" signs you're getting the job!

I was interviewed by 2 people, I had the necessary experience for it, they asked me very detailed questions so the interview went on for an hour, and I exchanged anecdotes with the manager (one of the interviewers) and basically seemed to have good rapport. At the end, they gave me a specific time for when they'll give me an answer, and even told me I was the last of their interviews. All seemed like good signs, so you can imagine my surprise an disappointment when I was told that I didn't get it.

On the other hand, looking back, the signs I would not get the job:
1) The interviewers seemed distracted, and I caught their eye contact drifting off a few times towards a window--this started right in the beginning.
2)they were just asking questions from a long list
3)one interviewer in particular was very blatantly not engaged in it--hardly maintained eye contact, and was reading off the list of questions

It seems like there is no definitive sign you are/aren't getting the job though :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Goneoffeverything in Virginia

16 months ago

One way that I have learned I probably won't get the job is when they hand me the dreaded business card at the end of the interview. Every job that I have held has never involved me getting a business card. The ones I don't get, they always give me business cards at the end of the interview followed by "let me walk you out"..and I never hear from them again. They give you their cards and say "call/email me if you have any questions" Ha, yea right. At this stage in the game, what else could I possibly have to ask you if I don't even have the job? Some people say that you get the card so you can send a thank you letter, but to be honest most of them could care less whether you send one or not. If they are going to hire you they will and if they won't they won't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Some people say that you get the card so you can send a thank you letter, but to be honest most of them could care less whether you send one or not. If they are going to hire you they will and if they won't they won't.

That's nonsense and no hiring decision hangs on whether or not you send a Thank You card. That's bull$hit.

I am not getting very many business cards lately. Hmmmm? Maybe they are tired of getting Thank You cards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

christian317 in boston, Massachusetts said:
On the other hand, looking back, the signs I would not get the job:
1) The interviewers seemed distracted, and I caught their eye contact drifting off a few times towards a window--this started right in the beginning.

LOL! Yeah, that's usually a bad sign. Sleeping is another.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Goneoffeverything in Virginia

16 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: LOL! Yeah, that's usually a bad sign. Sleeping is another.

Wow! One lady was so rude she actually fell asleep during the interview. I know I wasn't that damn boring. She was trying to be a smartass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

16 months ago

Body language. Towards the end of the interview you can spot it. Sometimes you can spot it before the interview starts.
It's not in words. Usually there are no verbal ques: some will be extremely formal and give you a reassurance that it is a matter of days before they finalize their decision and let you know: but you know in your guts they decided to look for someone else.
Only very few will show unprofessional, rude attitude (like walking you out abruptly or sleeping, as one poster above described, during an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Wow! One lady was so rude she actually fell asleep during the interview. I know I wasn't that damn boring. She was trying to be a smartass.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Just kidding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

16 months ago

I think it just comes down to the company culture. I've learned that the relaxed cultures are based on popularity, the formal cultures are based on how well you follow orders and stay in line and the messed up cultures based on how independent you are along with low pay which is usually compensated by the 70 hours you work making pretty things for them in which they take credit for. Then of course there's the chop shop culture that combines all of them which is just a good point to be employed. Out of all this BS I decided it's best to create my own company. What to make? Hell if I know but I do know that I finally learned not to blurt out my ideas and get a patent first. However, all these patent companies and "incubator" companies make me angry. Solution: Build a spaceship and get off this crazy place. I'm not bitter or anything like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.