Things interviewers say that let's you know you won't get an offer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 281)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Some people say that you get the card so you can send a thank you letter, but to be honest most of them could care less whether you send one or not. If they are going to hire you they will and if they won't they won't.

That's nonsense and no hiring decision hangs on whether or not you send a Thank You card. That's bull$hit.

I am not getting very many business cards lately. Hmmmm? Maybe they are tired of getting Thank You cards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

christian317 in boston, Massachusetts said:
On the other hand, looking back, the signs I would not get the job:
1) The interviewers seemed distracted, and I caught their eye contact drifting off a few times towards a window--this started right in the beginning.

LOL! Yeah, that's usually a bad sign. Sleeping is another.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Goneoffeverything in Virginia

11 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: LOL! Yeah, that's usually a bad sign. Sleeping is another.

Wow! One lady was so rude she actually fell asleep during the interview. I know I wasn't that damn boring. She was trying to be a smartass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

11 months ago

Body language. Towards the end of the interview you can spot it. Sometimes you can spot it before the interview starts.
It's not in words. Usually there are no verbal ques: some will be extremely formal and give you a reassurance that it is a matter of days before they finalize their decision and let you know: but you know in your guts they decided to look for someone else.
Only very few will show unprofessional, rude attitude (like walking you out abruptly or sleeping, as one poster above described, during an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Wow! One lady was so rude she actually fell asleep during the interview. I know I wasn't that damn boring. She was trying to be a smartass.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Just kidding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

11 months ago

I think it just comes down to the company culture. I've learned that the relaxed cultures are based on popularity, the formal cultures are based on how well you follow orders and stay in line and the messed up cultures based on how independent you are along with low pay which is usually compensated by the 70 hours you work making pretty things for them in which they take credit for. Then of course there's the chop shop culture that combines all of them which is just a good point to be employed. Out of all this BS I decided it's best to create my own company. What to make? Hell if I know but I do know that I finally learned not to blurt out my ideas and get a patent first. However, all these patent companies and "incubator" companies make me angry. Solution: Build a spaceship and get off this crazy place. I'm not bitter or anything like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

christian317 in boston, Massachusetts

11 months ago

LOL @Bluetea and Goneoffeverything!

Yea that other person who interviewed me didn't even try to hide it, I honestly thought she was hungover or something, given the fact that she only gave eye contact briefly when she felt me turning towards her and laughed weakly at things I said that I didn't think were that funny...I wonder how they got hired themselves.

Alright, I'm gonna try to stop being bitter now...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Goneoffeverything in Virginia

11 months ago

What about the interviews you spend all that time getting prepared for only to have it last under 10 minutes? FAIL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

unames in Milford, Michigan

9 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I'm not ready for what an ER veterinary clinic would throw at me work wise. I've never even worked in a walk-in ER, urgent or immediate care clinic for people. These places are very, very busy and they want to make sure whomever they hire to work there can handle the extremely fast pace of the clinic.
]

then why did you apply? they were trying to tell you they would never call you back after you cancelled an interview. how clueless are you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

scot

9 months ago

DawnDPerry in Sacramento, California said: Things they do say

If they want you:
1. We will be in touch in a few days (definite time frame)
2. It was great to meet you and I look forward to talking to you soon
3. They talk about themselves a lot

If they don't want you:
1. We will be in touch
2. It was nice to meet you and thank you for your time
3. Good luck in your job search

Those maybe some typical scenarios I have been looking for a new job for a year still no outcome. Sometimes looks interview went well yet nothing was happened eventually. Next time when they say" thank you for your time to come for interviewing" I should realize the result no bother to think over again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

9 months ago

Laura Ritchie in Greenbank, Washington said: When you ask the interview what they think and he says "your a real card!" . Not good!

Ouch!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Schaumburg, Illinois

9 months ago

An interview asked about 50 questions and wrote down the answers and I asked them a few questions regarding things I saw on their website, they were impressed that I did my homework, but still did not hear anything back. They left it at we are interviewing all week and you will hear something back. Maybe the rejection letter if anything. I have never got the job when they tell me that they are interviewing all week or I am the first interview. They must tell everyone that they are the first, as they will not be the last.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom

9 months ago

In the business I have been in we always responded with a follow up email/letter to let one know they where rejected. Then again some companies get so over whelmed by how many applicants apply that it can be hard to send out a rejection letter. But on the other hand it does not feel nice when your waiting to find out and hear nothing in return at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Scott C in Mississauga, Ontario

9 months ago

Gloomy Monday no response from last week interview's result as expected just realized I was failure again, no bother to follow up again just keep moving on. Sometimes you feel interview went well doesn't mean the next step will come as expected,the competition is harder than I thought, just feel frustration like the colder/rainy weather outside.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Owensboro, Kentucky

9 months ago

All comments have been interesting. As others have said, sometimes you can tell you're getting the job and sometimes you can't. I've had an employer give me the "we're gonna be interviewing others" line and still got offered employment. I've also been told "we'll let you know by the end of the week" and have had both things happen...I've gotten the job in once instance and haven't in others.

In the case where I did get the job, I found out after starting almost a MONTH LATER that while they truly DID make the decision to hire me @ the end of the week, they had to send my name up to the big wigs for "clearance." That took a week. Once they sent final approval to the hiring supervisor, it took her another 2 wks to call. Why? Because in the midst of her waiting for clearance, she had a scheduled vacation in Florida. So she didn't call until she got back. I was glad she told me what had happened, bc I've gone through that many times before(as I'm sure many others have) and its very frustrating to not hear anything. Some people go on and put in for other jobs & some do not bc they want to wait to hear about one before they move on. That particular job turned out to be one of the best i'd ever had. She was a great supervisor and I hated that we relocated 3 hours away.

A friend of mine is going through job anxiety. She interviewed 2 weeks ago for a job & was supposed to hear about it Friday. She's about to drive herself crazy bc she was told by one of the employees she knows that the interviewer was very impressed w/her and she's a top candidate. She's debating on whether to call or not.

I'm also waiting to hear about a recent interview I had 2 wks. ago. I'm keeping my eyes open for any other positions out there though, bc the position i'm waiting to hear about was one of the departments affected by the Governemnt shut down. So who knows when I'm gonna hear about that?!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mckinney_cherie@yahoo.com in Cordova, Tennessee

9 months ago

Jennifer in Owensboro, Kentucky said: All comments have been interesting. As others have said, sometimes you can tell you're getting the job and sometimes you can't. I've had an employer give me the "we're gonna be interviewing others" line and still got offered employment. I've also been told "we'll let you know by the end of the week" and have had both things happen...I've gotten the job in once instance and haven't in others.

In the case where I did get the job, I found out after starting almost a MONTH LATER that while they truly DID make the decision to hire me @ the end of the week, they had to send my name up to the big wigs for "clearance." That took a week. Once they sent final approval to the hiring supervisor, it took her another 2 wks to call. Why? Because in the midst of her waiting for clearance, she had a scheduled vacation in Florida. So she didn't call until she got back. I was glad she told me what had happened, bc I've gone through that many times before(as I'm sure many others have) and its very frustrating to not hear anything. Some people go on and put in for other jobs & some do not bc they want to wait to hear about one before they move on. That particular job turned out to be one of the best i'd ever had. She was a great supervisor and I hated that we relocated 3 hours away.

A friend of mine is going through job anxiety. She interviewed 2 weeks ago for a job & was supposed to hear about it Friday. She's about to drive herself crazy bc she was told by one of the employees she knows that the interviewer was very impressed w/her and she's a top candidate. She's debating on whether to call or not.

I'm also waiting to hear about a recent interview I had 2 wks. ago. I'm keeping my eyes open for any other positions out there though, bc the position i'm waiting to hear about was one of the departments affected by the Governemnt shut down. So who knows when I'm gonna hear about that?!?[/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

mckinney_cherie@yahoo.com in Cordova, Tennessee said:

I had phone interview with a company 2 weeks ago. The lady told me that she was forwarding my answers to another department she said she would know something within 2-3 weeks if they wanted to proceed with the next step and that she would call me to let me know if they wanted to move forward or not. About 2 hours later she calls me back and wanted to know if I could come in 2 days later and do a interview with sales manager and customer service manager and to take a test which I attended. When I got there the lady started going over the benefits package and telling me they couldn't make an offer with due to everything being constitute to my background check. Since I applied online through monster.com and submitted my resume only she gave me an application to fill out, background check forms to release authorization and the eeoc forms. "Cool", I interviewed with the 2 people and took my test. She told me she would call me the next day to let me know how I did on my test. She didn't call back the next day so waited for a few days and called her back. She told me that I did good on my test and when I asked her what was the next step she informed me she had another person to interview and take the test like I did and that it would be at the beginning of next week( which is now this week) and that she would follow up with me. She called me Monday to let me know some things had changed and they were not going to me hiring until the middle of November and that they had to repost the job due to needing to hire more people. She told me that I was still very much in consideration for the position and that she did not want me to worry if I saw the job posted again. She did put my mind at ease because I was just like your friend worried sick. So at this point I am not going to worry. I am going to keep applying for other jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

9 months ago

mckinney_cherie@yahoo.com in Cordova, Tennessee said: So at this point I am not going to worry. I am going to keep applying for other jobs.

Until you have a paycheck, you keep applying. Don't spend too much time musing over all the campfire stories. Most of it is BS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Owensboro, Kentucky

9 months ago

Bluetea -

U r correct. That's why I continue to apply for things as I wait for interview results. Seems like applicants just jump thru hoop after hoop and STILL may not get a job. It's just not the way it used to be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

9 months ago

Jennifer in Owensboro, Kentucky said: Bluetea -

U r correct. That's why I continue to apply for things as I wait for interview results. Seems like applicants just jump thru hoop after hoop and STILL may not get a job. It's just not the way it used to be.

Nope. The technology has made every thing so much easier. LOL!

Keep applying. An HR person told me this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott C in Mississauga, Ontario

8 months ago

Had an interview today was short than I expect; The job is perfect match my skill/experience yet even don't have a chance to demonstrate it during the interview,just being asked and answered brief question, guess the Hiring Mgr was not impressed by me. At the end gave me a name card / walked me to the door with saying " take care"(never heard before from previous interview)

Get use to such frustration / just back to home keep searching and applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wellstweet4 in Gardena, California

8 months ago

FYI-The reason I did not send links in the thank you email was because I figured I missed my chance in the in-person interview and felt it was now an afterthought. Well, after speaking to another friend who has been on many interviews, he convinced me to send another email following up with the links and to just say I just realized that I sent my thank you email without any links to show them examples of social media. Is this a good idea? I don't want to appear desperate.

Unemplyed in Woodbury, New Jersey

8 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: if you can waitress/bartend then do that.you'll at least have some money coming in while you look for the work in your field/or wait on these picky slow *a*s employers. these people are beyond slow..they're in a permanent hiring coma.

Hiring coma!! Ha Ha. They are!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed in Woodbury, New Jersey

8 months ago

very concern applicant in Miami, Florida said: so I went to a job interview at a hospital for a Sitter position..
everything went well I got interviewed two times the same day one with the HR department and the other with adovcate department. they all seem interested in me and love my responses.

but my concern is that since this is a Pool position, the lady from HR ask for my Social and driver 's license so she can make copies( I been to alot of interviews none of them ever ask me for that unless I got the job or something)So I think I got the job even though they told me they'll call me next week(this happend thursday so it's already next week)they say they'll call me for the next process(which is orientation and all that) but so far I haven't gotten a call so I am worried..does this mean I still got the job since they already took my social and driver's license? but I just got to wait till they get more people since is a Pool posistion?

They do it. Because they want to run a background check before taking a decision. That is unprofessional. I've heard of people refusing to provide such sensitive information. If there is an offer on the table, Yes. But other than that.. Not a good idea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lou in Glendora, California

8 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: 1. Short interview.
2. No eye contact.
3. Reading questions from a sheet of paper.
4. Unable to connect on any level.

I had a job interview with a group of three individuals, HR mgr..Production mgr...and Purchasing mgr.. The interview lasted about 17 minutes.....which seemed rather short...I had discussed my work history within 17 minutes and answer 6 questions from the group.....Also, I had asked 2 questions prior to the end of the interview.....The purchasing mgr looked at me and said, twice, "Good Luck"....and i wonder what does that mean "Good Luck"? and it was said two times....it does not seem to be a positive comment....it's like saying..."I WISH YOU WELL in your pursuit of a job........ I did send an email concerning the interview to the
group via Hr mgr the next day..................."Good Luck"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

8 months ago

Lou in Glendora, California said: I had a job interview with a group of three individuals, HR mgr..Production mgr...and Purchasing mgr.. The interview lasted about 17 minutes.....which seemed rather short...I had discussed my work history within 17 minutes and answer 6 questions from the group.....Also, I had asked 2 questions prior to the end of the interview.....The purchasing mgr looked at me and said, twice, "Good Luck"....and i wonder what does that mean "Good Luck"? and it was said two times....it does not seem to be a positive comment....it's like saying..."I WISH YOU WELL in your pursuit of a job........ I did send an email concerning the interview to the
group via Hr mgr the next day..................."Good Luck"

Apply for five more jobs. Good Luck! LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

I interviewed last Thursday for a position with a company. I had all of the requirements that they were looking for in this position. I was told they would be making a decision by Thursday afternoon or the next day. Even though the pay was not that great I was willing to give it a shot. That is just how bad I hate my current job I was willing to take a $4.52 pay cut. They did follow up with me Tuesday and left a voicemail stating they had filled the position and to thank me for taking time out to come in and interview. It's so frustrating to go on interviews and to get your hopes up that you may be a chosen one and then get reject phone calls and emails that they went with someone they felt more qualified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

recentlyemployed in Sylvania, Ohio

7 months ago

clever screen name here in Orem, Utah said:

One of the biggest red flags that you MOST LIKELY will not get the job is...."We still have other interviews, and you will hear back from us, either way, by the end of the week."

The last two job interviews I have had used this line and they both DID get back to me, to tell me I got the job and ask when I can start. They just really did need to complete the other scheduled interviews and choose the best candidate. In my more recent case, I was the very first person interviewed for the job so obviously they wanted to hear from more people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Janiceecastilho in Gardena, California

7 months ago

I must of had lady luck on my side. I first saw the job posting @ 10pm at night. It had posted an hour prior on Indeed.com. I applied right away because I knew that was THE type of job I have always wanted. I think that helped a lot being one of the first applications because I got an email that afternoon asking if I could be available for a phone interview THE NEXT DAY. The phone interview went well as I had prepared in advance to have a quiet place, all my 'cheat' sheets in front of me. I listened well. She asked me to COME IN in 2 days. I met with the 2 Sales Executives who I would be working with. No HR. I had a really good interview with them and even connected with the older man because he transferred from the city that my sister currently lives in. We talked about how his accomplishments there as I asked and even other events going on there. I left feeling good and wanted that job even more. I not only sent a thank you email within 2 hours...but 2 days later, I decided to send a hand-written note to the both of them with samples of my online work that I failed to show them during the interview (yes, I brought them in a folder and lost that opporunity!) I thought, what is going to make me stand out? Despite the fear of appearing desperate, I mailed them a packet. The woman acknowledged it in an email and thanked me. I waited about 2 weeks before I was asked to come in for the final interview. They told me it was down to me and another candidate. They asked me to bring professional references too. Prior to the final interview, I prepared a 30/60/90 day Plan on what I think I would do in that position based on the job duties in the original ad. I got the idea from this career coach,Peggy McKee. Google her. This is not a Sales position but she said the 30/60/90 Day Plan is the tool to close the deal. It did close the deal because I got the call yesterday that I am hired!! Unbelievable as I have been job hunting on and off for about 2 years! Don't give up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

optimistic in Wilmington, North Carolina

7 months ago

Alright so I've read through this forum in its entirety and Im still not sure how to feel about my interview..
Ill preface by saying this interview was for a local agency for a big insurance provider. Now, my phone interview was 5 days ago, talked to the owner of the agency for about 20 min, went really well, got invited for an in-person interview the next day. Lasted about an hour and 20 min, really liked the guy and we got along well. Talked about things other than work, so I thought that was a good sign. He got my information for the background/credit check said that "if all goes well Id have you come in and do a half day of shadowing", brought me around the office to meet everyone and at the door said "now full disclosure, I do have a few other interviews scheduled for this week, but you're in good shape. im looking to hire for 2 or maybe 3 positions." I was really thrown off because by the way the interview went, I felt I had it. Saying there are more interviews scheduled is apparently a horrible sign? He also said I was the top performer of all of the applicants on the assessment test. I was so confident until the last 30 seconds of the interview. Very frustrating. Now its Friday and Im checking my phone/emails religiously. I sent a thank you email, no reply yet. The only thing I can think is maybe theyre still waiting on the background check before a formal offer? Am I being overly optimistic? The thought of continuing to wait to hear back through the weekend is making me physically ill lol. Help?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jolievoila in Magazine, Arkansas

6 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: All the people employed say to get a retail or scheit cleaning job. "Go do anything." "Go waitress or babysit..." I told them; OK, do you know anybody who is hiring ? "No." well then "shut up." This advice is applicable to a h.s. kid living with mom and dad who has no living expenses. Unless they personally know somebody who is hiring and can refer me, their advice is useless. Nobody asks me, well, what have you done, what's your background? They don't care. They just want to see me sweeping the sidewalk? I don't get it.Why should I? That will be less than the benefits I am getting and will look like crap on my clerical resume. I'll still have a job gap. It won't help. Yet, everybody here is telling me to forget real estate. None of them have experience in it. I know that a lot of people hate realtors but come on, it's NYC. I will make some money. I just want some quick cash, something in the meantime to pay the bills and not become homeless.

Or better yet, have they tried it? It's not easy. I did and people tossed my resume for high school grads. They were like, "Why are you here?" It was almost like I was a roach invading their home. Yeah, just get a crap job - easier said than done.

PUSH in Elkton, Kentucky

6 months ago

jolievoila in Magazine, Arkansas said: Or better yet, have they tried it? It's not easy. I did and people tossed my resume for high school grads. They were like, "Why are you here?" It was almost like I was a roach invading their home. Yeah, just get a crap job - easier said than done.

100% agreed! I hate it when people throw in the comment, "well you must not want to work" or "you must not be trying too hard." A friend of mine has her masters degree & has been looking for work almost a year now. Her aunt looked @ her & said, "You must not be trying. You have a masters degree. What's wrong w/you?" Then she told her she should go to the mall bc there were a couple of stores hiring out there. My friend told her that would make it even more difficult for her to get something. She's scared an employer would look @ that and think, "ok you just took this job not long ago." She doesn't want it to look like she's a "job jumper." No one has ever said that to me, but I've gotten the "look." Oh, how I hate the look....when you say you're still trying to find a job, you get that look that lets you know they are thinking, "Are you serious? Get your butt out there and take ANYTHING." People need to understand that not everyone can just "take anything." Some people have families and they have to make sure they look for jobs that will coincide w/their particular situation. People don't know what others have to deal with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

6 months ago

PUSH in Elkton, Kentucky said: 100% agreed! I hate it when people throw in the comment, "well you must not want to work" or "you must not be trying too hard." A friend of mine has her masters degree & has been looking for work almost a year now. Her aunt looked @ her & said, "You must not be trying. You have a masters degree. What's wrong w/you?" Then she told her she should go to the mall bc there were a couple of stores hiring out there. My friend told her that would make it even more difficult for her to get something. She's scared an employer would look @ that and think, "ok you just took this job not long ago." She doesn't want it to look like she's a "job jumper." No one has ever said that to me, but I've gotten the "look." Oh, how I hate the look....when you say you're still trying to find a job, you get that look that lets you know they are thinking, "Are you serious? Get your butt out there and take ANYTHING." People need to understand that not everyone can just "take anything." Some people have families and they have to make sure they look for jobs that will coincide w/their particular situation. People don't know what others have to deal with.

"Get a job ya bum!" Sorry, I was channeling my father.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rain Mirron in Austin, Texas

6 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: I agree. In a big city like New York HR people are a dime a dozen. HR is such a hated occupation a lot of people on a certain professional level, that is in some circles, are kind of embarrassed to say they work in HR or their spouse does. HR attracts people with no real soft or hard skills. People with useless degrees like English, Philosophy, and some others like Sociology often go into HR. HR are basically bureaucratic paper pushing robots who are paid to always side with the corporation. They lack objectivity and a sense of personal responsibility, as well as basic character. Their knowledge consists of organizational psychology, some labor and benefit laws and maybe a miniscule level of corporate law ? Please...

I would appreciate it if you didn't generalize the entire HR profession. My mother who has an Master's in Public Administration with a Concentration in Public-Personnel Administration AKA Human Resources from SUNY. She has created several companies trying to fix this HR problem, even she is fed up with it. But, not all of HR is like that, especially my mother. She has 20+ years experience and she has yet to pull any of the nonsense most HR personnel do. She does not beat around the bush, nor has she lead anyone on she shouldn't have. She's given the same attention to all candidates, no matter how under-qualified they are. She will even explain that to them, respectfully, of course. Yes, HR can definitely use a makeover, but there are programs and companies out there trying to do just that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Whatever in Carrollton, Texas

6 months ago

I'd just be happy to have an interview right now. Job sites have led nowhere, but going to straight to HR of any company is the kiss of death. I remember when folks in HR actually behaved like they expected people to call and inquire about jobs. Now they act like you are bothering them, placing a huge burden on them that prevents them from doing their actual job, whatever that is. I guess getting my AA wasn't such a crowning achievement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland

6 months ago

Whatever in Carrollton, Texas said: I guess getting my AA wasn't such a crowning achievement.

People are saying the same thing about BAs and PHDs...... just saying......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

unknown zone in Orlando, Florida

6 months ago

Janiceecastilho in Gardena, California said: I must of had lady luck on my side. I first saw the job posting @ 10pm at night. It had posted an hour prior on Indeed.com. I applied right away because I knew that was THE type of job I have always wanted. I think that helped a lot being one of the first applications because I got an email that afternoon asking if I could be available for a phone interview THE NEXT DAY. The phone interview went well as I had prepared in advance to have a quiet place, all my 'cheat' sheets in front of me. I listened well. She asked me to COME IN in 2 days. I met with the 2 Sales Executives who I would be working with. No HR . I had a really good interview with them and even connected with the older man because he transferred from the city that my sister currently lives in. We talked about how his accomplishments there as I asked and even other events going on there. I left feeling good and wanted that job even more. I not only sent a thank you email within 2 hours...but 2 days later, I decided to send a hand-written note to the both of them with samples of my online work that I failed to show them during the interview (yes, I brought them in a folder and lost that opporunity!) I thought, what is going to make me stand out? Despite the fear of appearing desperate, I mailed them a packet. The woman acknowledged it in an email and thanked me. I waited about 2 weeks before I was asked to come in for the final interview. They told me it was down to me and another candidate. They asked me to bring professional references too. Prior to the final interview, I prepared a 30/60/90 day Plan on what I think I would do in that position based on the job duties in the original ad. I got the idea from this career coach,Peggy McKee. Google her. This is not a Sales position but she said the 30/60/90 Day Plan is the tool to close the deal. It did close the deal because I got the call yesterday that I am hired!! Unbelievable as I have been job hunting

unknown zone in Orlando, Florida

6 months ago

This is a great story and I'm very happy for your success, especially after a long period of unemployment. The only caveat I have is to be careful when asked for 30 etc. day plans. I recently had an interview which I could tell about halfway through was either one of those fishing expeditions, or a corporate requirement "you must screen X number of people" things. The very last question I was asked was what my 30 day plan would be. Having sussed out that I wasn't a serious contender, I gave an agreeable, but generic answer. I was thinking, "Screw you. I'm not going to give you several excellent ideas that you will simply write down and hand over to the person you are actually hiring for this job." Every scenario is different, and job seekers must go with their gut when asked that particular question. Be prepared with a great answer in case you feel good about the interview, but guard against handing over your ideas for free to unscrupulous "employers" who had no intention of hiring you in the first place, and may be interviewing simply to gather ideas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Michigan

6 months ago

unknown zone in Orlando, Florida said: Be prepared with a great answer in case you feel good about the interview, but guard against handing over your ideas for free to unscrupulous "employers" who had no intention of hiring you in the first place, and may be interviewing simply to gather ideas.

So true. I've been on the "no way we are going to hire you but we know you are well versed in this stuff so let's get some free consulting" interview. Of all the bad interviews I've been on, these type of interviews are the ones that stick with me days, weeks, even years after the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Janice Wells in Torrance, California

6 months ago

I hear what you are saying about the 30/60/90 day plans being used against you. I hadn't thought of that. I was not asked..I initiated mine just based on their job duties (which was plentiful in the original ad). I added a few nuggets of my own. I suppose in a sales position, these plans are commonplace and candidates may feel used by unscrupulous managers! What my Plan did for me was engage the 2 sales executives in a conversation where we went over each month together to see if the timeline was achievable and realistic. It actually brought about more conversation about the position. Furthermore, I asked them 3 hard questions that I read about on The Ladders website and got them talking even more! I knew after that final interview that I gave it my best interview ever! So I still say blow them away with a 30/60/90 day plan and go out in a blaze of glory!! Good luck to everyone!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lol don't in Los Angeles, California

6 months ago

When the interviewer doesn't give you much time to answer questions and continues on with more questions. Also when they talk about the job description and the benefits and never really ask you anything, you know you don't have it. All that talk is just filler.

laidoffafter17years in Ottawa, Ontario

4 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: What about the interviews you spend all that time getting prepared for only to have it last under 10 minutes? FAIL!

yes! I hate those!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

I had my first face to face interview in 17 years! I really wanted the job, was qualified and worked so hard to prepare! once I got there I was so bloody nervous I couldn't remember half the stuff I prepared for! I paused a lot and was embarrassed, I could feel my face get red! anyway, the scheduled interview was for an hour, I was out in 25 minutes..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

4 months ago

laidoffafter17years in Ottawa, Ontario said: I had my first face to face interview in 17 years! I really wanted the job, was qualified and worked so hard to prepare! once I got there I was so bloody nervous I couldn't remember half the stuff I prepared for! I paused a lot and was embarrassed, I could feel my face get red! anyway, the scheduled interview was for an hour, I was out in 25 minutes..

That has happened to all of us. When I first started interviewing again, I was horrible at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio

4 months ago

laidoffafter17years in Ottawa, Ontario said: I had my first face to face interview in 17 years! I really wanted the job, was qualified and worked so hard to prepare! once I got there I was so bloody nervous I couldn't remember half the stuff I prepared for! I paused a lot and was embarrassed, I could feel my face get red! anyway, the scheduled interview was for an hour, I was out in 25 minutes..

The more you interview, the less stressful your interviews will be. Every interview... bad as well as good... can be a learning experience. Keep at it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio said: The more you interview, the less stressful your interviews will be. Every interview... bad as well as good... can be a learning experience. Keep at it!

Thanks! I can't wait for that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

wc in Reynoldsburg, Ohio

4 months ago

I stopped looking for a job when I was competing with an internal canidate transferring from another dept but had no expierence to my 5 yrs exp in the job applied for. To top that off their HR "process" could take 60 days & this lady was gauranteed to retire in 90 days. So I didnt get the job. I guess they trained her then she retired in about 45 days. HR needs to sign off on interviews then pay a fine when they BS people like that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

FedupoffRejection in Ottawa, Ontario

4 months ago

I am a MDRT, graduated a little over a year ago jobless since aug 2012...Exciting!! I've been applying at dead end jobs with no result. In two years, I've been to 5 interviews, 2 are from the same place(one screening and one formal). One for food service attendant in the hospital which went well. One with Target(didn't care much for). And another with my old employer. Applied at timmies and lil jobs like that and im figuring because i have college that they are not even considering me.
I went on my screening last week and my formal interview today to get into the career i went to school for. It seems like im a good candidate but i have horrible confidence and i dont want to get my hopes up too high. I had good signs at the interview, it was with the CSR manager and a team leader. They asked me a few questions, i asked a few questions, they asked my availability and i said im available, i want to work. When would i be able to start. I said as soon as possible. They told me if I were to be hired new hire orientation is on april 7. And they asked if I ever worked nights. I said no but i'm fine with it. It's shift work. They said because of my availability im a top candidate...they said they'll call me next week. Jobs in this area of expertise are almost non existent.

And another thing you guys are talking about that i feel strongly about is when people say your not doing everything you can to get a anything job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

AbsolutelyWorthless in Hatfield, Pennsylvania

4 months ago

How I know I haven't gotten a job:

1) They start to ask questions about and focus on past failures. Not the standard "What is your greatest challenge and how do you overcome it?" question. But when they really start asking questions about any past terminations, disciplinary write ups, then start interrogating you. "Okay, so you said that your last job was just not a 'good fit'. So you can only function in a job that is perfectly tailored to you? You aren't adaptable? You don't have the ability to learn new skills?"

2) If it ends with "We have a lot of candidate for this position we need to interview, but we'll be in touch." that means you didn't stand out. There's nothing to say that you are anything special.

3) If every question is challenged and every answer to the challenge is twisted to be wrong. "So, you're saying you were second in sales at your last job? Why should we hire a person who wasn't number one?" "So you were able to calm down that difficult customer and she left good feedback about you? Why were you not able to anticipate her needs from the beginning and avoid the whole conflict?" "So you're saying you would tattle on a co-worker for stealing a measly five dollars? You have so little respect for your supervisor you'd think they have nothing better to do than to go after five dollars" You: "Well...maybe not." Interviewer: "So you're saying you'd cover it up, turn a blind eye to wrong doing?"

And all in all, if you have a termination on your record, you can kiss any job other than Wal Mart or McDonald's goodbye. People don't want applicants who learned from failure and mistakes. They want people who were smart enough to succeed the first time, every time, and pay attention to detail, thus rarely making mistakes. You're either a born loser or a born winner, and no amount of hard work is going to turn a loser into a winner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Max Metro in St Louis, Missouri

4 months ago

If you didn't get the job, they will be very distant and vague at the end of the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.