Things interviewers say that let's you know you won't get an offer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 267 of 267)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6   

laidoffafter17years in Ottawa, Ontario

1 month ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: What about the interviews you spend all that time getting prepared for only to have it last under 10 minutes? FAIL!

yes! I hate those!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

I had my first face to face interview in 17 years! I really wanted the job, was qualified and worked so hard to prepare! once I got there I was so bloody nervous I couldn't remember half the stuff I prepared for! I paused a lot and was embarrassed, I could feel my face get red! anyway, the scheduled interview was for an hour, I was out in 25 minutes..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

1 month ago

laidoffafter17years in Ottawa, Ontario said: I had my first face to face interview in 17 years! I really wanted the job, was qualified and worked so hard to prepare! once I got there I was so bloody nervous I couldn't remember half the stuff I prepared for! I paused a lot and was embarrassed, I could feel my face get red! anyway, the scheduled interview was for an hour, I was out in 25 minutes..

That has happened to all of us. When I first started interviewing again, I was horrible at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio

1 month ago

laidoffafter17years in Ottawa, Ontario said: I had my first face to face interview in 17 years! I really wanted the job, was qualified and worked so hard to prepare! once I got there I was so bloody nervous I couldn't remember half the stuff I prepared for! I paused a lot and was embarrassed, I could feel my face get red! anyway, the scheduled interview was for an hour, I was out in 25 minutes..

The more you interview, the less stressful your interviews will be. Every interview... bad as well as good... can be a learning experience. Keep at it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio said: The more you interview, the less stressful your interviews will be. Every interview... bad as well as good... can be a learning experience. Keep at it!

Thanks! I can't wait for that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

wc in Reynoldsburg, Ohio

1 month ago

I stopped looking for a job when I was competing with an internal canidate transferring from another dept but had no expierence to my 5 yrs exp in the job applied for. To top that off their HR "process" could take 60 days & this lady was gauranteed to retire in 90 days. So I didnt get the job. I guess they trained her then she retired in about 45 days. HR needs to sign off on interviews then pay a fine when they BS people like that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

FedupoffRejection in Ottawa, Ontario

1 month ago

I am a MDRT, graduated a little over a year ago jobless since aug 2012...Exciting!! I've been applying at dead end jobs with no result. In two years, I've been to 5 interviews, 2 are from the same place(one screening and one formal). One for food service attendant in the hospital which went well. One with Target(didn't care much for). And another with my old employer. Applied at timmies and lil jobs like that and im figuring because i have college that they are not even considering me.
I went on my screening last week and my formal interview today to get into the career i went to school for. It seems like im a good candidate but i have horrible confidence and i dont want to get my hopes up too high. I had good signs at the interview, it was with the CSR manager and a team leader. They asked me a few questions, i asked a few questions, they asked my availability and i said im available, i want to work. When would i be able to start. I said as soon as possible. They told me if I were to be hired new hire orientation is on april 7. And they asked if I ever worked nights. I said no but i'm fine with it. It's shift work. They said because of my availability im a top candidate...they said they'll call me next week. Jobs in this area of expertise are almost non existent.

And another thing you guys are talking about that i feel strongly about is when people say your not doing everything you can to get a anything job.

AbsolutelyWorthless in Hatfield, Pennsylvania

1 month ago

How I know I haven't gotten a job:

1) They start to ask questions about and focus on past failures. Not the standard "What is your greatest challenge and how do you overcome it?" question. But when they really start asking questions about any past terminations, disciplinary write ups, then start interrogating you. "Okay, so you said that your last job was just not a 'good fit'. So you can only function in a job that is perfectly tailored to you? You aren't adaptable? You don't have the ability to learn new skills?"

2) If it ends with "We have a lot of candidate for this position we need to interview, but we'll be in touch." that means you didn't stand out. There's nothing to say that you are anything special.

3) If every question is challenged and every answer to the challenge is twisted to be wrong. "So, you're saying you were second in sales at your last job? Why should we hire a person who wasn't number one?" "So you were able to calm down that difficult customer and she left good feedback about you? Why were you not able to anticipate her needs from the beginning and avoid the whole conflict?" "So you're saying you would tattle on a co-worker for stealing a measly five dollars? You have so little respect for your supervisor you'd think they have nothing better to do than to go after five dollars" You: "Well...maybe not." Interviewer: "So you're saying you'd cover it up, turn a blind eye to wrong doing?"

And all in all, if you have a termination on your record, you can kiss any job other than Wal Mart or McDonald's goodbye. People don't want applicants who learned from failure and mistakes. They want people who were smart enough to succeed the first time, every time, and pay attention to detail, thus rarely making mistakes. You're either a born loser or a born winner, and no amount of hard work is going to turn a loser into a winner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Max Metro in St Louis, Missouri

1 month ago

If you didn't get the job, they will be very distant and vague at the end of the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vitaver Jobs in Fort lauderdale, Florida

1 month ago

You have raised a very interesting topic here, but as I work in the staffing industry I want to assure you that recruiters try their best not to show preferences or moreover, their dislikes. But one should bear in mind that recruiters are humans as well, they have emotions and feelings. That is why sometimes it seems that you can tell from their behavior, gestures or words. But don’t be mislead by these gestures or even words. One should be a great psychologist to see what exactly the recruiters think about the candidate.

Alex in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

1 month ago

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I interviewed for a position at a small tech startup last week with the hiring manager, and then had a second round panel interview via skype with the hiring manager, his team, and two of his peers. I thought the interview went well and I sent a thank you note an hour after. Hiring manager responded within 15 minutes thanking me for taking the time to interview and he said "myself or our HR contact will be in touch with you within the next week."

Does this mean I didn't get the job?

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

1 month ago

Alex in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I interviewed for a position at a small tech startup last week with the hiring manager, and then had a second round panel interview via skype with the hiring manager, his team, and two of his peers. I thought the interview went well and I sent a thank you note an hour after. Hiring manager responded within 15 minutes thanking me for taking the time to interview and he said "myself or our HR contact will be in touch with you within the next week."

Does this mean I didn't get the job?

Standard verbiage; doesn't mean anything. That being said, I've never heard back from HR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

Hi Alex,

I have spoken to many recruiters as I work for IT staffing company. The interview process is a complicated one, and it needs to be thought over and thoroughly discussed. Why have you made such a conclusion? Were there any other signs? Becasue from what you wrote I can't see a single prove of you not getting that job. If you think a week is too long for the HR to analyze your interview, you are mistaken. They might have other candidates and interviews as well. That is why it takes time for the HR department to finalize their decision.
Stay positive and good luck with this job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

AnnoyedUnemployedandFrustated in Mount Vernon, New York

13 days ago

Under-Employed in Memphis, Tennessee said: I did. I sent thank-you emails to everyone within hours of my interviews. Sigh. I am currently employed but this is the most toxic environment I've ever been in in my life. Folks are leaving left and right. My boss I worked under for a year left a few months ago and has been warning me I need to get out of here ASAP. Now, current employees who are in upper management are warning me of the same thing. Everyone here is looking for other jobs. We work under a HORRIBLE woman who is running this organization into the ground.

Ugh, I've totally been there. Please...hang in there. The end might be nearer than you realize.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lily116 in Ossining, New York

7 days ago

What about this?

I went on a 2nd interview for director of nursing position a week ago. I met with a VP and another director and it went really well. When I went back to HR we talked a bit about salary range etc. when I didn't hear back a week later I reached out to HR contact via email ..just expressing my continued interest and where they were in the process.

His response was.: "Thanks for following up.  We are still in the process of 2nd interviews, and probably won't know about next steps until later next week.  Thank you for your continued interest, and let's talk by the end of next week."

What do you think? Am I still in the running? Do I still have a chance or not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

5 days ago

Lily116 in Ossining, New York said: What about this?

I went on a 2nd interview for director of nursing position a week ago. I met with a VP and another director and it went really well. When I went back to HR we talked a bit about salary range etc. when I didn't hear back a week later I reached out to HR contact via email ..just expressing my continued interest and where they were in the process.

His response was.: "Thanks for following up.  We are still in the process of 2nd interviews, and probably won't know about next steps until later next week.  Thank you for your continued interest, and let's talk by the end of next week."

What do you think? Am I still in the running? Do I still have a chance or not?

Hi Lily,
Of course, you have a chance to hear back. Let's hope your interview went better than the other interviews with other candidates. Wait till the end of next week and if they don't call you, write an e-mail asking politely that you are still interested how did the process went and express your interest in future job openings.

Good luck!

PrestigeNY in Miami, Florida

3 days ago

I have no idea why this recruiter from a temporary consulting firm called me in for an interview if she didn't like my résumé. If she didn't like ppl that work temporary on projects don't pick my résumé n waste my time driving 1 hour to her office to put me down. I explained I went to a very prestigious university in NYC earned my bachelors and masters degrees and later after graduating did some internship, worked mostly in consulting projects which I stated clearly on my résumé, due to the recession I did as best as I could with jobs, there were some gaps n during those times I did private tutoring, translations projects, exploring new classes, and interests, it just seem like this woman recruiter thinks everyone has a permanent jobs right after another she even asked me what have you been doing in the past week since ur not working, what? I can't take a rest by choice, or travel...what's ridiculous is that she is a recruiter for a temporary agency n couldn't understand why I work temporary, I told her it's ppl like me are keeping this business running, without applicants need that work this temp agency would not be in business. It's like she's a Moran she needs me probably more than what I need her so she can make her commissions. At the end I just wondered why she called me? Pass onto the other résumé if you don't like my jumpy work, now I have taken the courage to ask interviewers what did you like about my résumé that made you call me for an interview that's when they say it's very impressive....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.