Things interviewers say that let's you know you won't get an offer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 316)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Vitaver Jobs in Fort lauderdale, Florida

8 months ago

PrestigeNY in Miami, Florida said: I have no idea why this recruiter from a temporary consulting firm called me in for an interview if she didn't like my résumé. If she didn't like ppl that work temporary on projects don't pick my résumé n waste my time driving 1 hour to her office to put me down. I explained I went to a very prestigious university in NYC earned my bachelors and masters degrees and later after graduating did some internship , worked mostly in consulting projects which I stated clearly on my résumé, due to the recession I did as best as I could with jobs, there were some gaps n during those times I did private tutoring, translations projects, exploring new classes, and interests, it just seem like this woman recruiter thinks everyone has a permanent jobs right after another she even asked me what have you been doing in the past week since ur not working, what? I can't take a rest by choice, or travel...what's ridiculous is that she is a recruiter for a temporary agency n couldn't understand why I work temporary, I told her it's ppl like me are keeping this business running, without applicants need that work this temp agency would not be in business. It's like she's a Moran she needs me probably more than what I need her so she can make her commissions. At the end I just wondered why she called me? Pass onto the other résumé if you don't like my jumpy work, now I have taken the courage to ask interviewers what did you like about my résumé that made you call me for an interview that's when they say it's very impressive....

You do seem to have a very good background. I am not sure from what you've wrote what kind of field you want to work in, but if you are interested in IT, please visit our website. We have a lot of great job opportunities.
Take care!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

MoneyTalks BSWalks in Dallas, Texas

8 months ago

PrestigeNY in Miami, Florida said: I have no idea why this recruiter from a temporary consulting firm called me in for an interview if she didn't like my résumé. If she didn't like ppl that work temporary on projects don't pick my résumé n waste my time driving 1 hour to her office to put me down. I explained I went to a very prestigious university in NYC earned my bachelors and masters degrees and later after graduating did some internship , worked mostly in consulting projects which I stated clearly on my résumé, due to the recession I did as best as I could with jobs, there were some gaps n during those times I did private tutoring, translations projects, exploring new classes, and interests, it just seem like this woman recruiter thinks everyone has a permanent jobs right after another she even asked me what have you been doing in the past week since ur not working, what?

Same here. The last two interviews I've had, I wanted to ask them if they laid down for a nap in 2007 and just woke up yesterday at midnight. What the heck kind of question is that to ask (or the variants, "sooooo, why haven't any of your other interviews worked out?") in a recession. Seriously. On the one hand, it ticks me off and on the other I'm thankful that I don't have to work with someone who'd ask such an idiotic question. Sitting through the interview with you is bad enough but sitting in an office with you 40 hours a week....God bless the folks who do.

This last comapny, I had a phone interview and they seemed to love me. I showed up for the 2nd interview and it was, "what do your parents do for a living?" and "do you live with your parents?" and "oh, I've been thinking about getting my MBA as well....what was YOUR GRE score?" Mind you, the job only requires an Associates. I can only think that my Anglo-sounding name and my obviously non-Anglo self was a shocking blow for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fight For Your Rights in California

8 months ago

PrestigeNY in Miami, Florida said: I have no idea why this recruiter from a temporary consulting firm called me in for an interview if she didn't like my résumé. If she didn't like ppl that work temporary on projects don't pick my résumé n waste my time driving 1 hour to her office to put me down. QUOTE]

I have the same thing happen to me twice by two different temp agencies.
Needless to say, I followed up each phone interview with an email to their corporate office, letting them know that they have people who are unprofessional in judging someone who has worked temp jobs for the past couple of years and if that's the case why did they even bother to call me in the first place, to give me a hard time ?

Funny thing is, I stated the above to both callers "Why did you call me if only to put down my "job hopping" as you put it ? then I followed up with ... "Oh you want me to drive an hour and 30 minutes to meet with you ?, sorry I wouldn't be interested in wasting my gas or my time and by the way, destroy my resume that you pulled from the internet and loose my phone number and remember, you called me it wasn't the other way around". LOL

I just will not bow down to temp agencies anymore, no way no how.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fight For Your Rights in California

8 months ago

I had 4 interviews with a company and was waiting for interview number 5, but it ever came to pass, I never called to find out the status but I did send a thank you note the following day after my job interview. All interviews went very well and the managers even commented the same, I was the "under dog in the group" everyone else, I'm assuming had the BA that was required, but they took my 25 years plus of experience into account (thank god), but in the end, I guess they choose someone with the BA degree perhaps after all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Blue Blue in Blue Island, Illinois

7 months ago

sighing in southern, New Jersey said: SHORT interviews-there is no substance, the interviewers have nothing much to say. I know some interviews may be brief, but if they only ask a few questions, it is not a good sign. I think an interview should be a half hour at the very least, but it can depend on the job. Anything under that seems bad to me (unless they specify it is a screening).

When they just seem disinterested/like they are just going through the motions.

When they ask questions that have nothing to do with the job and/or ask very few relevant questions.

When they do not tell you much about the job, the starting date, etc.

When they indicate they do not know something they should have, meaning they never read your resume-I had an interview last year where I drove an hour and as soon as I sat down, they said I lived too far. My town is usually well-known; it was obvious they had not noted where I lived.

When they are really late-keep you waiting for the interview for a while.

Right 100% on the last 2 and not far off on the others.

I had an interview a way from where I lived when I was in my teens and right out of high school, and once I got there, the interviewer not only kept me and the rest of the interviewees waiting for like 2 hours while they were on lunch, he didn't even know I lived more than 10 miles away or didn't have relevant experience (and it was for grocery bagger, not exactly something that requires rocket science).

After he learned this, the num skull wouldn't even make eye contact with me for the reminder of the interview. Not to mention that I was told that he would call me back by 7pm rather I had the job or not while other people where coming out with sheets of paper and a tote bags. And of course when 7 rolled around, no call back, so he lied bald faced.

Looking back, I probably wouldn't even accepted that job if it was offered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ThereISstillHope in Davis, California

6 months ago

If you don't hear from us, that means we have decided to pursue someone with MORE EXPERIENCE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

6 months ago

ThereISstillHope in Davis, California said: If you don't hear from us, that means we have decided to pursue someone with MORE EXPERIENCE.

"We're just going through the motions. The boss's son just graduated from college and he is a shoe in".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kuri in Hyattsville, Maryland

5 months ago

I would like to add my 2 cents to this.
I have noticed that there a few things that can signal that you will likely get the job:
1.) You are PREPARED (with printed sheets of questions, company info, references, resume, etc.). The interviewer will see you as organized and like this.
2.) You had a "good feeling" from the interview. As in you feel like you connected well with the interviewer, and felt you could relax.
3.) The interviewer pays attention strictly to you. Not distracted at all.
4.) They will *not* ask purposely difficult questions (i.e. a job I did not get, the interviewer asked very tough questions like "Do you feel you would perform well in this environment" after explaining what I thought the job would be like)
5.) Depending on the company, they may discuss their benefits package. (If a company does not intend to hire you they will not waste both of your time explaining this)
6.) The interview was long, around an hour.
7.) If you were one of the first people to interview. If you leave a strong impression on them they will probably pick you.
8.) How many people are you competing against? You can kind of mathematically calculate what your chances may be.

Anyway, those are some things I noticed, in my own experience. Don't you just love job hunting ;D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EndlessJoy in Atlanta, Georgia

5 months ago

Kuri - To your #7 - I will add that sometimes if you're the last to interview, and you perform well, you have a better chance of getting the job. Still fresh in their minds.

PS. Another sign of NOT getting the job - if the interviewer says "Have a great weekend or have a great whatever holiday is coming up." Don't understand it but it seems to be 98.8% true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kuri in Hyattsville, Maryland

5 months ago

Really? That is soo strange. I will keep an ear out for that one next time I am at an interview. Although here is to hoping I ace *all* of my interviews LOL. I guess when did you notice that such a friendly statement could mean something so dim?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leeann66 in Ontario

5 months ago

Kuri in Hyattsville, Maryland said: I would like to add my 2 cents to this.
I have noticed that there a few things that can signal that you will likely get the job:
1.) You are PREPARED (with printed sheets of questions, company info, references, resume, etc.). The interviewer will see you as organized and like this.
2.) You had a "good feeling" from the interview. As in you feel like you connected well with the interviewer, and felt you could relax.
3.) The interviewer pays attention strictly to you. Not distracted at all.
4.) They will *not* ask purposely difficult questions (i.e. a job I did not get, the interviewer asked very tough questions like "Do you feel you would perform well in this environment" after explaining what I thought the job would be like)
5.) Depending on the company, they may discuss their benefits package. (If a company does not intend to hire you they will not waste both of your time explaining this)
6.) The interview was long, around an hour.
7.) If you were one of the first people to interview. If you leave a strong impression on them they will probably pick you.
8.) How many people are you competing against? You can kind of mathematically calculate what your chances may be.

Anyway, those are some things I noticed, in my own experience. Don't you just love job hunting ;D

I would have to agree with you. Good advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

Kuri in Hyattsville, Maryland said: Really? That is soo strange. I will keep an ear out for that one next time I am at an interview. Although here is to hoping I ace *all* of my interviews LOL. I guess when did you notice that such a friendly statement could mean something so dim?

Right - it sounds dismal but it is usually accompanied with "thanks for coming in."

And yes I hope everyone ACES *all* of their upcoming interviews too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

xboxer in Tucson, Arizona

5 months ago

AbsolutelyWorthless in Hatfield, Pennsylvania said: How I know I haven't gotten a job:

1) They start to ask questions about and focus on past failures. Not the standard "What is your greatest challenge and how do you overcome it?" question. But when they really start asking questions about any past terminations, disciplinary write ups, then start interrogating you. "Okay, so you said that your last job was just not a 'good fit'. So you can only function in a job that is perfectly tailored to you? You aren't adaptable? You don't have the ability to learn new skills?"

2) If it ends with "We have a lot of candidate for this position we need to interview, but we'll be in touch." that means you didn't stand out. There's nothing to say that you are anything special.

3) If every question is challenged and every answer to the challenge is twisted to be wrong. "So, you're saying you were second in sales at your last job? Why should we

And all in all, if you have a termination on your record, you can kiss any job other than Wal Mart or McDonald's goodbye. People don't want applicants who learned from failure and mistakes. They want people who were smart enough to succeed the first time, every time, and pay attention to detail, thus rarely making mistakes. You're either a born loser or a born winner, and no amount of hard work is going to turn a loser into a winner.

Nowadays, when someone is fired, they can be fired for absolutely no reason. They can be fired for having the wrong color sweater on, or someone just doesn't "like" them. They could have been a great worker. It's an assumption anymore to think someone was lacking as to a firing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Demo89 in Dallas, Texas

5 months ago

Some will tell you the starting date, benefits etc but still don't get the job :(. I think the only way to know is when an offer is made.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland

5 months ago

xboxer in Tucson, Arizona said: Nowadays, when someone is fired, they can be fired for absolutely no reason. They can be fired for having the wrong color sweater on, or someone just doesn't "like" them. They could have been a great worker. It's an assumption anymore to think someone was lacking as to a firing.

If memory serves, the term for that is "at will" which works both ways actually. Employee can quit for any reason, employer can terminate for any reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Demo89 in Dallas, Texas

5 months ago

EndlessJoy in Atlanta, Georgia said: Right - it sounds dismal but it is usually accompanied with "thanks for coming in."

And yes I hope everyone ACES *all* of their upcoming interviews too!

that was said to me today, oh well. I know I completely blew an answer and they didn't like my gap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

Demo89 in Dallas, Texas said: that was said to me today, oh well. I know I completely blew an answer and they didn't like my gap.

If it's a job that you believe you would really like doing, I really hope you will get it.

*I should have said that's been MY experience. Just mine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jury 14 in Hartford, Connecticut

5 months ago

Lily116 in Ossining, New York said: What about this?

I went on a 2nd interview for director of nursing position a week ago. I met with a VP and another director and it went really well. When I went back to HR we talked a bit about salary range etc. when I didn't hear back a week later I reached out to HR contact via email ..just expressing my continued interest and where they were in the process.

His response was.: "Thanks for following up.  We are still in the process of 2nd interviews, and probably won't know about next steps until later next week.  Thank you for your continued interest, and let's talk by the end of next week."

What do you think? Am I still in the running? Do I still have a chance or not?

Please keep us updated! I love hearing if people get jobs, or adversely, what might have gone wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

I have to say, for the job I'm at now, a few red flags came up from other people's experiences on how to tell if the interview went badly. These were:

- Waiting for the Interview to Start: I waited a good 20 minutes, and my interviewer seemed rushed and panicked.

- Not All of the People Interviewing you are There: One of the Hiring Managers (the actual head of Hiring in HR) was not there, and so the interview started off weirdly.

- Not Talking Much About The Job: Halfway through the interview, we started talking about off-topic things. From what I've seen, if they start imitating you and laughing with you, you've got them hypnotized, so to say! She was imitating how I'd turn and when I'd smile - so that was nice.

We're Interviewing Other Candidates: I was told this as we walked out, and because of Indeed forumers' comments regarding this, my heart sunk -- I knew I did a bad job. I swallowed and said, "Well, I hope whoever you choose does an outstanding job!"

Short Interview: Our interview, because she kept repeating the fact that she had to leave, lasted around 20 minutes... and only about 10 of those minutes was spent talking in depth about the role, but I made sure to ask questions.

Terrible Ending: After my interviewer offered to walk me out to the car (good sign), I declined. She paused, stared at me, then RAN out of the building, apologizing about the fact that she had prior arrangements . This was the icing on the cake - I walked out knowing I didn't get the job (how wrong was I!)

Within 4 days I was called (it was right after Presidents Weekend) and they wanted me to start immediately. I surely didn't have the greatest of interviews, and I almost cried when they called me back because I swore I didn't get the job, especially when I was told they were interviewing other candidates. And for once, I got to hear the line that stated that they were just interviewing others out of etiquette -- I was already chosen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland

5 months ago

I have had what I considered to be "bad" interviews (though not as bad as Jury's) and been hired. That is precisely why when the forums get a rash of "did I get the job", "did I do well on the interview" type questions, I try to stress that at least I am not a mind reader and have no way of knowing. There are just so many examples of interviews going "well" where folks don't get hired and interviews that went "bad" where folks did get hired.

Simply no way of knowing until either A, an offer comes in and one starts working, or B, the company goes into silent mode never to be heard from again and sometimes mails a rejection letter. Same sort of thing applies to "how long to wait". It depends. "What to do?" Keep applying until the a company hires you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

Jury 14 in Hartford, Connecticut said: I have to say, for the job I'm at now, a few red flags came up from other people's experiences on how to tell if the interview went badly. These were:

- Waiting for the Interview to Start
- Not All of the People Interviewing you are There
- Not Talking Much About The Job
- We're Interviewing Other Candidates: I was told this as we walked out, and because of Indeed forumers' comments regarding this, my heart sunk -- I knew I did a bad job. I swallowed and said, "Well, I hope whoever you choose does an outstanding job!"

- Short Interview

- Terrible Ending

Within 4 days I was called (it was right after Presidents Weekend) and they wanted me to start immediately. I surely didn't have the greatest of interviews, and I almost cried when they called me back because I swore I didn't get the job, especially when I was told they were interviewing other candidates. And for once, I got to hear the line that stated that they were just interviewing others out of etiquette -- I was already chosen!

Great! Thanks for taking the time to share that experience. I think you just made a lot of people's day today!

I really liked what you said in reply to the "we're interviewing other candidates." If I was the interviewer, your response alone would have increased your standing for the job.
All the best to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Demo89 in Dallas, Texas

5 months ago

I have found that when they say we have more candidates to interview and don't give you a time frame, it doesn't lead to a job. Whenever I have been offered a position, it was no longer than 3 days later. Even with a big company such as Kodak.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Demo89 in Dallas, Texas

5 months ago

Demo89 in Dallas, Texas said: I have found that when they say we have more candidates to interview and don't give you a time frame, it doesn't lead to a job. Whenever I have been offered a position, it was no longer than 3 days later. Even with a big company such as Kodak.

This was my experience, I'm sure it was different for others. Usually when I got the job, they never ever said they were interviewing others and told me when they would call and did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

jadi in Newark, Delaware

5 months ago

Hey guys, just had an interview today that I thought went okay. Its a contract to hire position, but they are willing to provide training. The interview was 1 an half hour long with 2 managers. It wasn't really behavioral, but more traditional. They mostly talked about the position and their company and asked questions about my experience and qualifications.

I noticed that one of the managers was talking a lot more then the other one. Either the other one wasn't interested in me but maybe he just doesn't like to talk much, I don't know lol. At the end I asked what the next step was, and he said I should hear back within the next week or two, so I thought was a bit suspicious that I wasn't getting it.

On the bright side, I think I was the first interview they held. Also I think a good sign is when you ask a question, and they say that you asked a really good question and are excited to answer it.

shawnmott85@gmai.com in Missouri

5 months ago

Ok last Wednesday I had a second interview n she was asking me about my most recent jobs I have worked for n I told her and she was asking about my shift n gave me a shift n asked n I said I could work that shift from 12 to 5 and at the end of the interview she said lets see how these other interview go hopefully I will call u for an orientation and sge tokd me the days like Fri and Saturday depending on the business but she said . I will definitely call u next Wed at the Same time did I get the job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

shawnmott85@gmai.com in Missouri said: Ok last Wednesday I had a second interview n she was asking me about my most recent jobs I have worked for n I told her and she was asking about my shift n gave me a shift n asked n I said I could work that shift from 12 to 5 and at the end of the interview she said lets see how these other interview go hopefully I will call u for an orientation and sge tokd me the days like Fri and Saturday depending on the business but she said . I will definitely call u next Wed at the Same time did I get the job

You have the job when you have the paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Memphis, Tennessee

5 months ago

When the hiring manager says "Good luck on your job search," you know you didn't get the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

I also find the more desperate a hiring manager is to fill a position, and you meet the 'mark', the more you're likely to get the job. If they ask you, "can you do 8-6?" and you say "yes! I do that now!" they'll be in love. Also, look for what they're stressing - if they're stressing long hours, and you have a proven track mark for working long hours, they'll be over-joyed to hire you.

Trecia Flowers-Dyson in Chicago, Illinois

4 months ago

This true! I just interviewed last week with 3 people. HR the Hiring Manager and the Controller. Both the HR and Hiring Manager I had a good feel for, but the Controller just looked at me crazy through the whole interview. She made odd ball remarks to me about things I did in the past that was not relevant now. I knew I wasn't getting an offer. I sent my thank you emails and surprisingly I received and email back from the HR person who initially contacted me requesting me to come back in for second interview. As I went back for the second interview with the Controller again, I felt even more pressure, and received even more crazy looks to my responses. Towards the end or interview, I asked did she have any concerns about my background? She said no comment, and we are interviewing other candidates. That was my que that I wasn't getting offered a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jpmay in Ozark, Missouri

4 months ago

I have a quick question. I received an offer for a job yesterday, and let the HR Manger know that I would like a couple days to think it over before I said yes or no. Mostly because I had an interview with another company for a job with higher pay and better hours than the one that was offered. The interview was for a rather well known call center (I am aware of the turn over rate, but this job would be temporary for me anyway, I'm moving next June). I went, it seemed to go well and I would really like this job. Before I left, the interviewer told me to "Stay by the phone, they would let me know within 24-48 business hours." My worry is that I will turn down the offer I have (in a field I am trying to move out of), but not get the job I want. I don't want to pin my hopes and finances on what could turn into nothing. How would you interpret the parting words of my interviewer?

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio

4 months ago

jpmay in Ozark, Missouri said: My worry is that I will turn down the offer I have (in a field I am trying to move out of), but not get the job I want. I don't want to pin my hopes and finances on what could turn into nothing. How would you interpret the parting words of my interviewer?

This happens to lots of people. Mostly, though, it's all in your mind. You think you're going to have two job offers at the same time, and you want to hold out for the better job. But that better offer may disappear after you've decided to decline the lesser offer. So here's what you do: Take the first job you're offered, even if it's not what you want. You'll have a job. Then if the second, better offer really does comes true, you quit the first job. Even if you've only been there a day.

As for the parting words: People will say anything. It may or may not be true. Are you staying by your phone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

jake in Saint Paul, Minnesota

4 months ago

I had an interview 3 weeks ago with a company and had not heard anything further from them after 2 weeks so I emailed and because the person was not there did not get a response for another week. So, after 3 weeks from interviewing I received an update that they are still in the interview process with candidates (travel by the interviewers is the reason given for the delay) but are hoping to make some decisions in the next 2 weeks.

If I interviewed that long ago and they are still 2 weeks or so until their next decision do I even stand a chance at the job anymore? I wasn't given a no yet, but with that amount of time and not getting a yes I assume that I did not do as well in the interview as I hoped and that I probably won't get the job. Any thoughts or insights are appreciated!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

jake in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I had an interview 3 weeks ago with a company and had not heard anything further from them after 2 weeks so I emailed and because the person was not there did not get a response for another week. So, after 3 weeks from interviewing I received an update that they are still in the interview process with candidates (travel by the interviewers is the reason given for the delay) but are hoping to make some decisions in the next 2 weeks.

If I interviewed that long ago and they are still 2 weeks or so until their next decision do I even stand a chance at the job anymore? I wasn't given a no yet, but with that amount of time and not getting a yes I assume that I did not do as well in the interview as I hoped and that I probably won't get the job. Any thoughts or insights are appreciated!!!

As long as they are in the "interview process" so are you.

Regardless of all the stories, never wait more than 30 days for a response and until you get a paycheck NEVER stop applying for other jobs.

2Legit in Cincinnati, Ohio

4 months ago

Good signs from my experience (resulted in job offer)
-They mention how much money I would be making
-They give a timeline on next steps before I leave
-A reference lets me know they were contacted
-I was given a tour of my potential work site
-They seemed to like my answers
-Person who would be my boss seems nice

Bad signs from my experience (didn't get job offer)
-Potential colleague got defensive/didn't like my answer to a question (would be essential to my work role, not his)
-Head interviewer staring at his computer during interview and doesn't respond when the rest of the panel is waiting for him to give an answer to my question
-I get the feeling I would not want to work at this place and I would not fit in here
-I ask about vision/long-term plans for the position, and they seem to be making it up on the spot (vision seemed very unrealistic)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

You get the interview and the interviewer says -"Oops that job has been filled."

sw30 in San Diego, California

3 months ago

1st interview- I was interviewed by the hiring manager, department manager, and a new HR manager that was just learning the ropes of the hiring process at the company. The interview went really well, I really connected with all of them and they liked my previous experience. Gave me a tour of the company and informed me there will be a second interview with another manager.

2nd interview- The hiring manager called me to come in to meet with the Sales Manager, the hiring manager also informed me that the director usually there on at the 2nd interview but because she was on vacation for the week, I may have to come back the next week to interview with her when she gets back. The interview with the sales manager was a little bit more intense but overall it went well.

3rd interview- The hiring manager contacted me on a Monday to come and meet with the Director and the owner of the company's daughter. Very casual and the interview went well also. They all informed me the next steps of the process would be for me to take Proveit tests for excel and 10-key.

The hiring manager told me the results of the tests were very good and the next step would be my background check. I accepted and asked for a copy of the results. I get the copy back on the 28th of August, although there is some information that is different on the background check than from my resume, such as some of the employment dates the hiring manager verified. I reached out to the hiring manager after Labor Day to let her know I was still interested in the position and if there were any updates/feedback. She has not replied to my email which is weird because she usually responds within a day especially with past emails. I'm hoping the company is just busy due to catching up with work from the 3 day weekend. But, a simple response to let me know where they're at in the process would be nice. Do you think i definitely did not get the job? Or is there still a chance? What next step should I take?

Julie in Freehold, New Jersey

3 months ago

I interviewed for a job three weeks ago. They let me know they were interviewing multiple candidates at that time. They said they would get back to me by Sept. 15. I still haven't heard from them and and wondering if it's acceptable to write and ask if they've made a decision. At the time they had advertised another position I was also interested in and I'm afraid I may lose out on that opportunity...

Second question: If I don't get the first position (the gentleman who interviewed me is also hiring for the other position) is it in bad form to ask if that position is still available? While both jobs are in the same department, they have nothing to do with each other...

Thanks for any help!

3 months ago

Julie in Freehold, New Jersey said: I interviewed for a job three weeks ago. They let me know they were interviewing multiple candidates at that time. They said they would get back to me by Sept. 15. I still haven't heard from them and and wondering if it's acceptable to write and ask if they've made a decision. At the time they had advertised another position I was also interested in and I'm afraid I may lose out on that opportunity...

Second question: If I don't get the first position (the gentleman who interviewed me is also hiring for the other position) is it in bad form to ask if that position is still available? While both jobs are in the same department, they have nothing to do with each other...

Thanks for any help!

Well you have until Monday to hear back from them. At least you were given a specific date instead of some arbitrary time frame.

2-If you are not awarded the first position, don't hesitate to ask about being considered for the other position. This is especially true if you are phoned with the news. I mean the worse he could say is 'No' but suppose he says 'yes'. Someone on here always says "don't leave any stones unturned." All the best!

Chem E from Seattle in Seattle, Washington

3 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Every interviewee knows when an interview goes great, ok, or bad. You just know.

Inside of one's self you know whether or not you connected well with the interviewer.

More than anything it's the interviewer's body language, facial expressions, and other non word actions that will tell you how the interview is going.

Unless it's a phone interview... I hate those.

Jackie Oh in Chesapeake, Virginia

3 months ago

You know you don't have the job when the interviewer asks, "As a woman, what would you do..."

My gender has nothing to do with my ability to manage people or do the job!

He also didn't like some of my other answers but instead of just moving on to the next question, he decided to mock them and share exaggerated eye-rolls with his colleague. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing.

Southeastern Public Service Authority (SPSA) Portsmouth, VA. DON'T APPLY THERE, EVER.

In retrospect, I should have just walked out when he started his shenanigans. When I left, I felt about 3 feet tall. He tore me down but good.

Chem E from Seattle in Seattle, Washington

3 months ago

Jackie Oh in Chesapeake, Virginia said: You know you don't have the job when the interviewer asks, "As a woman, what would you do..."

My gender has nothing to do with my ability to manage people or do the job!

He also didn't like some of my other answers but instead of just moving on to the next question, he decided to mock them and share exaggerated eye-rolls with his colleague. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing.

Southeastern Public Service Authority (SPSA) Portsmouth, VA. DON'T APPLY THERE, EVER.

In retrospect, I should have just walked out when he started his shenanigans. When I left, I felt about 3 feet tall. He tore me down but good.

Wow, that's extremely unprofessional of them. All of it. That's ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

Also be aware that many "jobs" offered by government contractors are just phantom positions, designed to rake in resumes in order to enhance the company's chances at landing a contract. Do your homework on the company before even bothering to interview with one of those.

I was in defense for many years, and am a veteran- and still fell for a couple of those. All they wanted was my resume. The interview was a five minute waste of hours of my prep time and my gasoline.

I work for the government now but in non-defense agency. No interview for the job, either! Yippee!

3 months ago

Chem E from Seattle in Seattle, Washington said: Wow, that's extremely unprofessional of them. All of it. That's ridiculous.

Yes, indeed. I consider it a dodged bullet. Those hyenas who interviewed me made it very clear that they were not interested in hiring a woman, and so why they even wasted my time by calling me in is beyond me (except for that EEOC thing, I get that). I was so humiliated that I dropped out of the job market for a long time.

Tammy K in Fishers, Indiana

3 months ago

I had two interviews last week. One was a warehouse position, the other an office position. I KNEW I didn't get the warehouse position because the interview was 15 minutes. I walked out of there laughing because I knew and yep, I got that automated email this week telling me so. I had this happen like that before. So if your interview is really short, you didn't get it. On the other hand, the office job was almost an hour long, the interview itself went fairly well. He asked about my typing. Granted where I worked at for a long time didn't require any typing, I told him I didn't have much experience typing. Which now I feel I should have explained that better. I also told him I had made a mistake moving to Texas (which I still kick myself about). I know those two are negative during the interview. Everything else seemed fine. I sent my Thank You email to him on Monday (interview last Thursday), as he said they would know something sometime this week when interviews were done. It's now Friday and I don't know where to inquire again on the job or not?! It's a Law firm.

Ashley A in Coamo, Puerto Rico

3 months ago

Hi! I just got interviewed today for a higher position were I currently work. I think it went well. She said it was more of an orientation than an interview. It was mostly an outlook on the tasks I'd be doing "if selected" as she put. She hardly asked me questions, but the one she most repeated was, "Are you up for the task, bacause it won't be easy". I immediatly said yes, that I was up for the challenge and experience. But when I left she said thank you for coming in and nothing else. Not good, right?

Kiara in Kennesaw, Georgia

3 months ago

To all the people asking whether or not their interview went well - sadly there really is no way of knowing. I just got a job that, even though I was confident about, I questioned whether or not I would get it based on things people said in this conversation. Base on what people have said here, the interview process showed every "bad" sign and only a few of the good ones. In fact:

The first interview I had was a phone interview. It was short (about 20 mins) so I automatically thought that was a bad sign. Also, she couldn't give me a specific date as to when she would get back to me. So 2 "bad" signs already.

The second interview was an in-person interview with my soon to be direct supervisor. The interview lasted 20 mins (1st "bad" sign). She didn't ask me that many questions (2nd "bad" sign). When she was done she rushed me out of the office (3rd "bad" sign). She didn't give me a specific date as to when she would get back to me (starting to see a pattern?). AND sh let me know she was interviewing other candidates.

Well lo and behold, the next day I got an email from her asking if I could meet with her boss. I was surprised, especially after how the interview with her went. This last interview, though, was pretty long and had more of the "good" signs than "bad."

Two days after that, I get a call saying I got the job.

The point I'm trying to make is that every company and every individual is different. I'm sure some trends may emerge, but I would take them with a grain of salt And also, never give up hope. You never know what's going to happen.

Ashley A in Coamo, Puerto Rico

3 months ago

Thanks Kiara! This was helpful. I'm a little more at ease. Congrats the job!

Kiara in Kennesaw, Georgia said: To all the people asking whether or not their interview went well - sadly there really is no way of knowing. I just got a job that, even though I was confident about, I questioned whether or not I would get it based on things people said in this conversation. Base on what people have said here, the interview process showed every "bad" sign and only a few of the good ones. In fact:

The first interview I had was a phone interview. It was short (about 20 mins) so I automatically thought that was a bad sign. Also, she couldn't give me a specific date as to when she would get back to me. So 2 "bad" signs already.

The second interview was an in-person interview with my soon to be direct supervisor. The interview lasted 20 mins (1st "bad" sign). She didn't ask me that many questions (2nd "bad" sign). When she was done she rushed me out of the office (3rd "bad" sign). She didn't give me a specific date as to when she would get back to me (starting to see a pattern?). AND sh let me know she was interviewing other candidates.

Well lo and behold, the next day I got an email from her asking if I could meet with her boss. I was surprised, especially after how the interview with her went. This last interview, though, was pretty long and had more of the "good" signs than "bad."

Two days after that, I get a call saying I got the job.

The point I'm trying to make is that every company and every individual is different. I'm sure some trends may emerge, but I would take them with a grain of salt And also, never give up hope. You never know what's going to happen.

anon12345 in Tallahassee, Florida

3 months ago

Hi, so I had an interview experience that I thought went very well but I haven't heard back. Here's what happened: I applied to a company cold (I didn't know if they were hiring or not; I just went for it) and they responded to my email within the week saying they'd love for me to come in and interview the following week. I went in and the interview lasted about 45 minutes. The HR lady and I got along and she was impressed by my experience for an entry-level employee. She said she still had people to interview and would be in contact in the next week or so. I sent her a follow up a couple hours after the interview and she responded that evening asking me to come in the following morning for a second interview with some people in the PR dept. I was interviewed by two ladies, both went very well and we easily got along, then they told me I would be speaking with the President of the PR dept. and it wouldn't be longer than a couple min. I spoke with her for about 15 min, she said my answers were smart and was impressed by my resume and said that there was an open position in Creative that she thought I fit very well and said that when we were done she wanted to send me to creative then go back to PR. I went over to creative and met with a senior director and we hit it off and he was very impressed with my experience and it went very well. After 20-30 min he asked me to meet another senior director. That went extremely well and lasted about 20 min as well and he wanted me to meet another director but he was not in the office so I went back to the 1st SD and spoke for another five minutes or so. He walked me out and was telling me more about the company, position, and my role/ responsibilities and that he really liked my unique skills and experience and thought it would be a great fit. He said he'd be in contact very soon. I was then brought back to PR and spoke with another lady and that went very well, too. It was all looking and sounding promising.

3 months ago

The lady said they had been trying to contact the head HR lady (1st interview) but they couldn't get hold of her. I was escorted back to the front desk and the HR lady had left a message for me saying she had left the office for the day and she would be in contact soon. The whole thing was supposed to take about 30-45 min but lasted about 2.5 hrs. 4/6 people offered their business cards and I asked for the other two. I left and sent my follow ups a few hrs later. I received responses from the 1st SD in creative saying he would be in contact soon to move forward in the process and thanks me for coming in. One of the PR ladies responded with "[head HR lady] should be contacting you soon, thanks for coming in, etc.". A couple days later the SD in creative emailed me and said "I know you've been here twice already but I'd like you to meet another person, etc" and asked me to come in the next day. I went in and met a senior strategist (interviewed with him and the 1st SD at the same time) and we hit it off and he seemed impressed and happy with my responses. They then told me they wanted to "develop a position for my unique skills" instead of place me in the entry-level position. The 1st SD asked me to meet another person (whom I identified as the CEO from research) and we sat down for 10-15 min and he was happy with my answers, too. He was speaking actively ("you will be a good fit here; i think you'll do well here", etc) and walked me back to the 1st SD's office and told the 1st SD that I would get along well with [some client of theirs] and that they need to get us in a room together. The CEO said it was nice meeting me and then the 1st SD walked me out. He said they just needed to sit down and figure out the exact role and responsibilities and cater it to my career path and that this is a good match and that he wants to move forward quickly. He said it was great seeing me again and thanked me for coming in again and said we will be in touch in a few days.

3 months ago

I sent my follow ups a few hours later and the senior strategist got back to me the next day and said that the SD would be in touch with me very soon. (This was on a Tuesday). I didn't hear anything Thursday or Friday, so I sent a follow up on Friday. The SD responded on Monday and said to expect to hear from the team that week. I didn't hear from them. On Monday I sent a checking in email ("as I did not hear from the team by the end of the week I want to check in and see how the process is coming along...", etc.). I haven't heard back.
All of my interviews lasted longer than the allotted time, happened within 6 days, and I met a total of 9 people, all senior level, and it seemed I clicked and meshed with every one of them. I fit the open position then they wanted to make a position for me and they seemed so on board like they were ready for me to be in the office. WHY HAVEN'T I HEARD BACK?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.