Things that you don't really want to hear in an interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 129)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

jenab in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: Right now it feels like a matter or timing, being at the right place at the right time and luck.

Fortune favors the prepared. :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: I can't pinpoint what it could be (experience and industry knowledge isn't an issue). The interviewer just doesn't like me enough for whatever reason.

Do you have any friends or family that you trust to give candid advice that you can do a practice interview with? That might help pinpoint what might (or might not) be happening.

And it can simply be you have the dubious fortune of being the loser in a coin toss when it comes to choosing between good candidates. The odds of winning a coin toss don't improve the more times the coin is tossed (even though it feels that way).

Such as "It's down to Bluetea and Cheshire. Chesire is energetic, with and it's obvious she'd bring a fresh perspective to the team, learns quickly, and I think she could really grow into this position. Bluetea's breadth of experience means she already understands what we're doing, and she clearly clicked with Joe. I think Bluetea would be a more seamless fit for our particular needs."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Meghan in Dayton, Ohio

45 months ago

If we only had the nerve, once we realize, it isn't happening, to just say the things you all have said. Yesterday I am at the end of the interview,and get," well if I don't see you again, I wish you well.!!

What the heck was that about? If I don't see you again ... have a nice life.
Was I not just interviewing for a job with you??

We must keep laughing.!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Texas

45 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Heh! I heard it yesterday. I can be interesting once, maybe twice but I don't have enough material for a 3rd go round.

amen to that bluetea! Its enough I have to dress up im wearing purple dress and large earring hoops...just sayin, going in for the kill..lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

still retired in Texas said: amen to that bluetea! Its enough I have to dress up im wearing purple dress and large earring hoops...just sayin, going in for the kill..lol

LOL! 3rd interview? Bring your accordian. Now its a talent show.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: LOL! 3rd interview? Bring your accordian. Now its a talent show.

It's like dating w/intent to marry, and the third interview is usually like meeting the family, with less catty comments in earshot. Or the third date with the third date rule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: It's like dating w/intent to marry, and the third interview is usually like meeting the family, with less catty comments in earshot. Or the third date with the third date rule.

A 3rd interview means you are in a Demolition Derby.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

45 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: "It's down to Bluetea and Cheshire. Chesire is energetic, with and it's obvious she'd bring a fresh perspective to the team, learns quickly, and I think she could really grow into this position. Bluetea's breadth of experience means she already understands what we're doing, and she clearly clicked with Joe. I think Bluetea would be a more seamless fit for our particular needs."
For once the older, experienced candidate gets the job and age discrimination is overcome.

No disrespect intended to Cheshire, who clearly is articulate but just deserves a chance.

45 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: LOL! 3rd interview? Bring your accordian. Now its a talent show.
You should have to attend attorney interviews.

In fairness, multiple interviews in some industries, such as aviation, are the norm. But in aviation, generally, the interviews are all conducted in one day.

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: For once the older, experienced candidate gets the job and age discrimination is overcome.

No disrespect intended to Cheshire, who clearly is articulate but just deserves a chance.

Bluetea is a dowdy Luddite whose idea of technology is an electric pencil sharpener.

Lets go with the kid, er what's her name? The one who still lives at home. Shes less likely to need knee replacement in the next six months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Bluetea is a dowdy Luddite whose idea of technology is an electric pencil sharpener.
You forgot Royal manual typewriter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Bluetea is a dowdy Luddite whose idea of technology is an electric pencil sharpener.

Lets go with the kid, er what's her name? The one who still lives at home. Shes less likely to need knee replacement in the next six months.

Needs a knee replacement? Then ya know she won't be wandering away from her desk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: You forgot Royal manual typewriter.

The good old days eh Mister. Unemployed? My IBM Selectric typewriter with a lit cigarette sitting in the ashtray, next to it.

Nobody said a word.

45 months ago

IBM Selectric was an excellent piece of equipment. We may have used them in the newsroom.

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: IBM Selectric was an excellent piece of equipment. We may have used them in the newsroom.

I still miss it. I heard that there is some kind of HOG group for IBM Selectric afficianados. LOL!

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

45 months ago

Typewriter...click, click, tap, tappa, tap, click, tap, Ding!

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Typewriter...click, click, tap, tappa, tap, click, tap, Ding!

We still do that except there is no Ding anymore...and no ashtray.

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario

45 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Do you have any friends or family that you trust to give candid advice that you can do a practice interview with? That might help pinpoint what might (or might not) be happening.

And it can simply be you have the dubious fortune of being the loser in a coin toss when it comes to choosing between good candidates. The odds of winning a coin toss don't improve the more times the coin is tossed (even though it feels that way).

I'm not sure how much the practice interviews would help me. It's probably worth a shot to get a second opinion, these things are so subjective though. I guess I don't understand how I was able to get all my past jobs...do I all of a sudden suck or what? I actually found there was more openness to employers before I found my first entry level job. They were genuinely interested. Now that I have my last job on my resume its like I dont have this or that, or enough of this. Its dumb. I regret not holding out for a better job when I had the chance, I thought I was doing the right thing taking up the opportunity and paying my dues. At that company I definitely did.

I think its more a case of your second scenario. I'm still fairly entry level, the role is broad and generic enough that theres a bottleneck of candidates when a position opens up (which is fairly infrequently), I know my competition has the same type of stuff on their resumes (thanks to LinkedIn) so then it comes down to those distinctive qualities (personality, hobbies, connections, hitting it off with interviewer) etc.

I decided that I wasn't going to interview just to interview in the new year and no more recruiters. I need to try something different and work on projecting a more interesting, unique personality.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

The next time I get asked what my hobbies are I'm going to say stuff that would indicate I'm highly social and 'with it.' Give them what they want. Although it's truly none of their business, my real hobbies are fairly anti-social and not in keeping with the expectations of those in my industry.

I'll talk about how I backpacked through Europe and how I love to go out to new venues with 50 of my closest friends. How I'm so exhausted from my active nightlife.

I think I'm going to have some fun with interviews. I have a friend who put this perspective to me, she said its a game and she loves playing it (she's older, has a lot of experience and an HR background). I'm gonna give it a shot and see if this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: I think I'm going to have some fun with interviews. I have a friend who put this perspective to me, she said its a game and she loves playing it (she's older, has a lot of experience and an HR background). I'm gonna give it a shot and see if this helps.

It is a game; a story telling game with some cat and mouse thrown in. While they're looking for red flags in what you say and don't say, you should do the same. I don't recommend the stories not be real, but truths are relatively flexible. You'd tell the same truth in three different ways to a toddler, a teen, and your parents; it's the same thing with the different people you interview with (although it's not always so easy to tell which is which).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Typewriter...click, click, tap, tappa, tap, click, tap, Ding!

Bluetea in Texas said: We still do that except there is no Ding anymore...and no ashtray.

And the creative profanity when the correction tape runs out and there's not a spare to be found.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Texas

45 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: And the creative profanity when the correction tape runs out and there's not a spare to be found.

chew gum and blow/pop bubbles LOUDLY....while listening to Air Supply

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: The next time I get asked what my hobbies are I'm going to say stuff that would indicate I'm highly social and 'with it.' Give them what they want. Although it's truly none of their business, my real hobbies are fairly anti-social and not in keeping with the expectations of those in my industry.

I'll talk about how I backpacked through Europe and how I love to go out to new venues with 50 of my closest friends. How I'm so exhausted from my active nightlife.

I think I'm going to have some fun with interviews. I have a friend who put this perspective to me, she said its a game and she loves playing it (she's older, has a lot of experience and an HR background). I'm gonna give it a shot and see if this helps.

When I was with the bank, one question they asked of new tellers was "What do you like to do in your spare time?" Sounds innocent enough but it was a Hire/No Hire question.

Anything like backpacking through Europe, climbing K2 or even an ocean cruise made you a No Hire.

Most tellers are part time and their schedules change EVERY week! They wanted their tellers to live within 5 miles of the branch, raising cats and reading romance novels.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

still retired in Texas said: chew gum and blow/pop bubbles LOUDLY....while listening to Air Supply

Ewww, Air Supply. That was never my music. How about some AC/DC?

45 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: When I was with the bank, one question they asked of new tellers was "What do you like to do in your spare time?" Sounds innocent enough but it was a Hire/No Hire question.

I always worried that my hobbies sounded anti-social and I should be doing more things with others. I certainly never mention that I like going to bars to see live music. I guess that leaves boring stuff like drawing, cooking and bike riding.

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: I always worried that my hobbies sounded anti-social and I should be doing more things with others. I certainly never mention that I like going to bars to see live music. I guess that leaves boring stuff like drawing, cooking and bike riding.

You'd make a great bank teller. They don't want you venturing too far from home in case someone calls in sick.

When they ask me stuff like this, I just make up something that isn't too controversial.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

45 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: It is a game; a story telling game with some cat and mouse thrown in. While they're looking for red flags in what you say and don't say, you should do the same. I don't recommend the stories not be real, but truths are relatively flexible.

Unfortunately, if your out of work in this economic climate where the interviews are more like interrogations your stories better be huge, captivating, gripping, attractive, and appealing. Lies or not.

When your employed in a good job it's easy to be self-righteous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

45 months ago

You know I went on an interview last week and it wasn't a hostile water-boarding type interviewer with behavioral quest after behav quest.

After the interview when I was in my car I thought because of the way I was treated I didn't have to lie much. I could be the real Joey "Blue Eyes" Gagill.

jenab in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

still retired in Texas said: chew gum and blow/pop bubbles LOUDLY....while listening to Air Supply

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Ewww, Air Supply. That was never my music. How about some AC/DC?

Yeesh... one office I worked in there were 5-6 of us in a cramped office, with one stick in the mud, so in the mornings stick-in-the-mud got to choose the station (dour classical dirges), and the afternoons it was the rest of us choosing (usually rock).

still retired in Texas

45 months ago

The last interview:

The employer stressed the importance of "god and family,"(first thing outta his mouth) to me then basically told me the job entailed the sacrafice of my motherly duties.....wtf!!!! I guess its only his god and family...lol...Im praying he doesnt call me back!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

still retired in Texas said: The last interview:

The employer stressed the importance of "god and family,"(first thing outta his mouth) to me then basically told me the job entailed the sacrafice of my motherly duties.....wtf!!!! I guess its only his god and family...lol...Im praying he doesnt call me back!

I'm glad I wasn't drinking something when I read this.

45 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: You'd make a great bank teller. They don't want you venturing too far from home in case someone calls in sick.

When they ask me stuff like this, I just make up something that isn't too controversial.

I also like traveling, hiking and camping though. I'm always up for an adventure.

You're right, stick to what makes you sound good. Reading makes you sound smart, but means that you don't like to socialize. Doing art makes you sound creative, but might mean you're one of the weird art people. You just can't win.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: I also like traveling, hiking and camping though. I'm always up for an adventure.

You're right, stick to what makes you sound good. Reading makes you sound smart, but means that you don't like to socialize. Doing art makes you sound creative, but might mean you're one of the weird art people. You just can't win.

If you were applying for a bank teller job and said that you like traveling, hiking and camping, they would never hire you. What they really like are young people who are in school. They don't wander too far off.

45 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Yeesh... one office I worked in there were 5-6 of us in a cramped office, with one stick in the mud, so in the mornings stick-in-the-mud got to choose the station (dour classical dirges), and the afternoons it was the rest of us choosing (usually rock).

The last place I worked at the ladies (3 of us) all hated country music. I was the youngest female there, too. The 4 guys, which included two younger ones, always had on country and we had to close the door to the office all the time. It was around the time when "Red Solo Cup" came out. Ooooh, how I hated them singing with the radio.

I'm all for people using iPods so I don't have to listen to their music.

45 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: If you were applying for a bank teller job and said that you like traveling, hiking and camping, they would never hire you. What they really like are young people who are in school. They don't wander too far off.

It's hard for me to do boring. Let's see, I like knitting, paint-by-numbers, and working in my vegetable garden. How's that? None of them are true.

45 months ago

For fun I like to collect belly button lint.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: It's hard for me to do boring. Let's see, I like knitting, paint-by-numbers, and working in my vegetable garden. How's that? None of them are true.
Reading Khalil Gibran, Tolstoy, Herman Hesse, Dostoyevsky, MyKon.......

45 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: I also like traveling, hiking and camping though. I'm always up for an adventure.

I used to say both these things before I smartened up! If companies are hiring based on a cultural fit, I'll be sure to mention what they want to hear.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Although of course I'd love to work someplace that worked with my personality and didn't have to fake it. Thats the ideal goal for all of us I'm sure. Its just not the most realistic.

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: Reading Khalil Gibran, Tolstoy, Herman Hesse, Dostoyevsky, MyKon.......

Hmmmmm? The Prophet, Anna Karenina, Steppenwolf and my all time favorite novel, The Brothers Karamazov?

I may have judged you too harshly, Mister Unemployed.

45 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I may have judged you too harshly, Mister Unemployed.
Welll........I think you have, as I may have with you.

Steppenwolf in print is a little hard to understand, but it was still a good band. I have had a copy of The Prophet since I was thirteen. I can't find it; I should get another copy and read it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Also Shakespeare is a little hard to understand at first because no one speaks sixteenth century English, but after getting past the lingo some of it is really funny.

45 months ago

One more for you, Bluetea. Faust has many elements relating to employment.

45 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: Reading Khalil Gibran, Tolstoy, Herman Hesse, Dostoyevsky, MyKon.......

MyCon? LOL

I guess saying I like to read true crime isn't a good idea. Some things you just don't want to say in an interview or it raises eyebrows.

45 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Hmmmmm? The Prophet, Anna Karenina, Steppenwolf and my all time favorite novel, The Brothers Karamazov?

Steppenwolf, as in Magic Carpet Ride? :P

45 months ago

Yes, and "Born to Be Wild."

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: One more for you, Bluetea. Faust has many elements relating to employment.

Steppenwolf is the mother of all male middle age crises. Very deep and somewhat reflective of Hesse's own life. That might be worth another read myself.

You might like Hesse's Siddartha. It is the story of Price Siddartha before he became The Buddha.

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Steppenwolf, as in Magic Carpet Ride? :P

One and the same!

The Rolling Stones got their name off a Muddy Water's album. The Doors got their name from Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception.

There was also a band once called The Mod Rockers but in a loud nightclub, everybody said The Who?" LOL!

45 months ago

I've heard of Siddartha. I'll tell him Harry Haller sent me.

Really, Faust closely relates to employment, i.e., all that is wanted is your soul.

Bluetea in Texas

45 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: I've heard of Siddartha. I'll tell him Harry Haller sent me.

Really, Faust closely relates to employment, i.e., all that is wanted is your soul.

You're right. It is very Faustian.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.