Things that you don't really want to hear in an interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 130 of 130)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: I've heard of Siddartha. I'll tell him Harry Haller sent me.

Really, Faust closely relates to employment, i.e., all that is wanted is your soul.

You're right. It is very Faustian.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mikeangleo2013 in Springfield, Massachusetts

29 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: "We'll be in touch". That's my cue to go home and apply for 5 more jobs.

Once, at the end of an interview, I said "Do you have any kind of time frame for when your decision will be made?" The guy looked at me, smiled and said, "Oh, we're in no hurry. With 30 million unemployed people out there, I am sure we will find someone". Heh!

I went right home and applied for 5 more jobs.

Yes, I had an interview for a school program in middletown ct. when i meant the woman at first she appeared to be ill don't know off the bat if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Then half way thru the interview she sais to me,"So is it really hard to find a teaching job in Ct..."Im like why is she asking me this, Im here to interview duh, clueless.....I thought I answered it well back at anyways but heard nothing in the coming days or weeks....They have you by the balls...You need the job so you can make a decent living I mean we all know that it sucks to be broke and have no money...So, it's like...You still have to dust yourself off and fill out more apps and try to get interviews...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Steppenwolf, as in Magic Carpet Ride? :P

THe pusher great tune!!!

29 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: If you were applying for a bank teller job and said that you like traveling, hiking and camping, they would never hire you. What they really like are young people who are in school. They don't wander too far off.

Of course this why you always see young attractive women usually doing the job...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Unfortunately, if your out of work in this economic climate where the interviews are more like interrogations your stories better be huge, captivating, gripping, attractive, and appealing. Lies or not.

When your employed in a good job it's easy to be self-righteous.

True very true, I have learned this the HARD WAY life....It is far easier to get the attention of women if you are seeing or dating a woman, just like it is far easier to get or find good employment if you have a decent job already, and that is the whole crap of it!!lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: When I was with the bank , one question they asked of new tellers was "What do you like to do in your spare time?" Sounds innocent enough but it was a Hire/No Hire question.

Anything like backpacking through Europe, climbing K2 or even an ocean cruise made you a No Hire.

Most tellers are part time and their schedules change EVERY week! They wanted their tellers to live within 5 miles of the branch, raising cats and reading romance novels.

Well that is being a bit discrimatory is'nt it?

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

29 months ago

mikeangleo2013 in Springfield, Massachusetts said: THe pusher great tune!!!
"Snow Blind Friend." A song that was ahead of its time.

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

mikeangleo2013 in Springfield, Massachusetts said: Well that is being a bit discrimatory is'nt it?

Only if your'e caught. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Endoftheworld in Rocky Hill, Connecticut

29 months ago

I am apparently no longer able to speak.
Ugh. One of the WORST interviews ever.
I had not realized how fried my brain truly is untill today's interview, could not think of anything remotely decent to say other than I want the job because it is "interesting" - ugh, how lame is that?

I dunno whether I imagined it or not but I thought I saw the Principal look at the Assistant Principal and he nodded his head as in NO. In the end, instead of asking if I have a shot I asked them what exactly were they looking for but then um, I FORGOT to say I HAVE these qualities (whether I do or not is somewhat irrelevant)
so got the usual, "well we have some more people to interview this week and we'll let you know where you stand some time next week". I was not given any cards or contact info which I think is a BAD sign. AND no "nice to meet you" crap either tho I said it to them, they did NOT return the sentiment.
I think I came across as a bumbling idiot and to boot my voice kept cracking, cat literally got my tongue, I just could not spit the words out. Am sure they thought I was retarded can barely spit out my own work biography w/o choking.
What got me all in a dither was immediately i felt there was NO chemistry between myself and the 2 bosses, it just was not there.
ugh.

The last parting words of the Principal when she opened the door for me were "bye-bye now"
OMG.

Unfortunately it will be too late to send thankyou notes if they are wrapping interviews up tomorrow. I truly did not come across as well spoken so I can't blame them for wondering why the H were they interveiwing me in the first place.
The only "positive" if you can call it i can take away is there will be no sitting by the phone, waiting, this is a lost cause...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagillll in Monticello, New York

29 months ago

Endoftheworld in Rocky Hill, Connecticut said: I am apparently no longer able to speak.
Ugh. One of the WORST interviews ever.
I had not realized how fried my brain truly is untill today's interview, could not think of anything remotely decent to say other than I want the job because it is "interesting" - ugh, how lame is that?

I dunno whether I imagined it or not but I thought I saw the Principal look at the Assistant Principal and he nodded his head as in NO. In the end, instead of asking if I have a shot I asked them what exactly were they looking for but then um, I FORGOT to say I HAVE these qualities (whether I do or not is somewhat irrelevant)
so got the usual, "well we have some more people to interview this week and we'll let you know where you stand some time next week". I was not given any cards or contact info which I think is a BAD sign. AND no "nice to meet you" crap either tho I said it to them, they did NOT return the sentiment.
I think I came across as a bumbling idiot and to boot my voice kept cracking, cat literally got my tongue, I just could not spit the words out. Am sure they thought I was retarded can barely spit out my own work biography w/o choking.
What got me all in a dither was immediately i felt there was NO chemistry between myself and the 2 bosses, it just was not there.
ugh...

A number of times simce I have been unemployed I have been for example at McD's eating and across from me a job interview was taking place. On 3 diff occasions at 3 diff places this scenario took place. And these were not entry level jobs nor senior level.

And the thing I was amazed about was a majority of the candidates were average on the interviews. It's a weird feeling to watch and listen to someone being interviewed.

The one thing I took away was that most people were good people with just average responses. There were very very few who could hit a home run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

29 months ago

I sent in a resume at a place and one of the questions on the online form (which was actually fairly short) was what is your favorite song. My guess is that "Story Of My Life" by Social Distortion wasn't what they were after.

Also, I know of an IBM Selectric that saw service at least into 2011.

Marloo in Regina, Saskatchewan

29 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: I can tell you past feedback I'm gotten, including from my last contract job.....the manager that hired me described me as a 'firecracker' he said he could tell that I was serious, really wanted it and would do a good job. You're right when you say resumes don't get people the job, he glanced at it and put it aside. He told me that people will lie through their teeth and that the feeling he got from me was genuine.

I managed to make an impression on him. I didn't do anything different though thats the funny part, I have stories and ways to answer certain questions (b/c I've been asked them so often) that just come out naturally now. I also give good eye contact and I know that helps validate what I'm saying. I also make sure to smile a lot (I have a natural expression that can be read as angry or reserved lol).

The hiring managers I came across last year generally (with the exception of a rare few) kept it conversational. They talked A LOT, no lie here....on and on and on and on, maybe I made them nervous? I would interject here and there and go 'me too' or 'I know what you mean.' This probably indicates that a connection wasn't made, it wasn't a two sided conversation. Connecting with people has been a life long struggle for me in general . My mind goes blank and it feels forced.

I feel like I can't get too analytical with it....I can't place the blame entirely on myself either. A lot of the conclusions to my interviews were out of my hands. Right now it feels like a matter or timing, being at the right place at the right time and luck.

I wise man told me around 10 or 15 years ago. "Your resume will get you a call back and an interview, but its the person they like the most on a personal level that gets the job"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Craig in Louisburg, North Carolina

28 months ago

I went for an interview today under company X, and I don't think I'm going to get the job. It's not that I don't know how to do the job, or something I said or did on the job. It's purely because what the interviewer said.
The interviewer had a list of questions, and he keep telling me "you most likely wont know how to answer this because of your lack of experience." At one point, he even skip a questions.
Every last question he asked I answered with no problem at all. The guy even told me he liked some of my answers. But, I don't think I will get this job because he said that multiple times. On top of that, he didn't seem like he really cared about what I had to say.
The sad thing is, the guy who interviewed me down selected over 80 thousand local apps to just a handful. So if he felt that I really wasn't that experience to answer some simple questions, then the question is why did he select my app along with a handful of 80k. Does everyone else suck/is less experience that much more?
BTW, it made me feel like this job wont be a secure job for me if I get this one.

Anyways, I hope I get this job. However, I'm most likely going to keep looking for another one even if I start this one. I'm sure everyone else would at least scan the jobs out there to keep an eye open for one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TGOD in Dublin, Ohio

14 months ago

"We will get back to you soon."

I don't get it. It shows that the manager isn't assertive and beats around the bush. I wrote the best follow up thank u note too. I am qualified and have the proper certifications. Inequality sucks.

Here's what I wrote for my follow up inquiry within 2 business days of the interview :

Thanks for taking the time on Friday to discuss the Consultant position that ******* has to offer.

I really appreciate the opportunity & look forward to a follow-up interview as well as your feedback! Thank you.

Kind Regards,

And the response from both managers who were CCd on the mail wrote the same thing. We will get back to you soon. What a joke.

I have an MBA and I'm six sigma qualified. I've saved Honda & Disney millions and I'm unemployed. I mean, really?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Garland, Texas

14 months ago

This is one I hear a lot:

"We've got a few more interviews, then I'll be going out of town (or the decision-maker is going out of town), and then we'll make a decision."

When you hear the phrase "going out of town," you are NOT getting the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

14 months ago

I really hate that "software program" you have a lot of experience with. I like this one instead.

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

14 months ago

Brian in Garland, Texas said: This is one I hear a lot:

"We've got a few more interviews, then I'll be going out of town (or the decision-maker is going out of town), and then we'll make a decision."

When you hear the phrase "going out of town," you are NOT getting the job.

If they say, "We'll be in touch", that is the last that you will hear from them. You most likely aren't getting the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MonteCarloCarFan in Hallandale, Florida

14 months ago

I went to an interview early last month at this non-for-profit organization. The director who interviewed me discovered my profile on Linkedin. She saw my design portfolio and was super impressed. She was very professional during the interview process and already felt comfortable with her explaining to her my style of graphic design.

So before we parted ways she mentioned a second interview in which her managers will be doing to let me know more details about the organization and so forth.

Great no problem except it's mid April and nothing.

I followed up an email 2 weeks later, the director said that her manager is interviewing candidates for some other managerial position. So last week I called her again asking the status and her manager is now out of town. Then she told me how the office takes awhile on making decisions. To bring me comfort, she told me it took 2 months before they called her in for a second interview.

After hanging up the phone I'm like WTF. That does not help me. And it's really unprofessional in the manager's part in this.

From what my interviewer was telling me it sounds like they are in need of another designer like ASAP. Smh....I don't get people sometimes. I really don't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Average HR Guy in Minnesota

14 months ago

Jason Q in Matawan, New Jersey said: Non Profits are always a joke and very poorly managed...they're run by women.

Really? Is that your actual view on nonprofits?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Jason Q in Matawan, New Jersey said: Non Profits are always a joke and very poorly managed...they're run by women.

Uhhhhh....I don't know about that...I'm sure there are some non-profits that are managed professionally. We don't know that...but I do know that this manager is an older guy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Calam in San Jose, California

14 months ago

MonteCarloCarFan in Hallandale, Florida said:

After hanging up the phone I'm like WTF. That does not help me. And it's really unprofessional in the manager's part in this.

From what my interviewer was telling me it sounds like they are in need of another designer like ASAP. Smh....I don't get people sometimes. I really don't.

It really depends on how busy the department is. It took my current company three months to get through 3 interviews before hiring me - but that was during a rather busy period where decision making managers were on the road a lot, so it was hard to nail people down. Don't take it personally! :)

14 months ago

And some non-profits are poorly run by men. What is your point?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Calam in San Jose, California said: It really depends on how busy the department is. It took my current company three months to get through 3 interviews before hiring me - but that was during a rather busy period where decision making managers were on the road a lot, so it was hard to nail people down. Don't take it personally! :)

Dang 3 months? Wow...in the meantime while I wait I just move on and continue applying and go on interviews.

14 months ago

MonteCarloCarFan in Hallandale, Florida said: Dang 3 months? Wow...in the meantime while I wait I just move on and continue applying and go on interviews.

Until you have a job, never stop applying. Never.

14 months ago

MonteCarloCarFan in Hallandale, Florida said: Dang 3 months? Wow...in the meantime while I wait I just move on and continue applying and go on interviews.

Yep, that is the best way to go about it. While I was waiting I was applying out and making new things for my portfolio.

Jent in Goodlettsville, Tennessee

7 months ago

The hiring process should be a mutual fit. If someone interviewing me, has no interest, I would not expect them to have interest in my work, so I would not want to join their company.
My advice? Turn the process around: interview them. Be the leader, set the example. Choose your employer.

KingofWisdom in Miami, Florida

7 months ago

Do you speak Spanish?
Tell me a time when...

7 months ago

KingofWisdom in Miami, Florida said: Do you speak Spanish?
Tell me a time when...

How many golf balls would it take to fill up this room?

Burt Lange in middletown, New York

7 months ago

Good luck in your job search i was told at the end of an interview recently.

Succk my left nutt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KingofWisdom in Miami, Florida

7 months ago

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada said: How many golf balls would it take to fill up this room?

I should have specified that I'm looking for my first job, so if I get this question, I know right then and there that I'm getting nothing.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.