Two Interviews for the same company in different States - accepted a verbal offer for one, but...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

swhmetta in austin, Texas

23 months ago

I have put out about 20 applications for the same company all over the country. Go figure, there was one location that I applied to that I wasn't too keen all living. I have no idea why I applied there. Well, they officially offered me a position verbally, contingent on a background check, which I have not done yet. This offer came yesterday and they haven't scheduled it yet. Meanwhile, the same company is interviewing me for the same position in a different State at a better location. Now, they haven't extended an offer yet, but they really liked me. They want to move forward to another interview. I would prefer to work there. I also feel that I should have at least attempted to negotiate my base salary a little with the one who did offer. I was so caught off guard, that I just said thanks, I accept. Now, it's really bugging me. My question is: Should I continue to interview with the other location, or do I let them know that their company extended an offer in another State? OR, should I reach out to the hiring manager after the background and casually try to negotiate more by asking for a relocation or a few thousand more? I do not want to appear ungrateful or greedy. From what others have done, I should have been able to negotiate some. Thoughts??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

23 months ago

This is like the twilight zone you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Lol! I love that show. Is it similar to an episode?

23 months ago

swhmetta in austin, Texas said: I have put out about 20 applications for the same company all over the country. Go figure, there was one location that I applied to that I wasn't too keen all living. I have no idea why I applied there. Well, they officially offered me a position verbally, contingent on a background check, which I have not done yet. This offer came yesterday and they haven't scheduled it yet. Meanwhile, the same company is interviewing me for the same position in a different State at a better location. Now, they haven't extended an offer yet, but they really liked me. They want to move forward to another interview. I would prefer to work there. I also feel that I should have at least attempted to negotiate my base salary a little with the one who did offer. I was so caught off guard, that I just said thanks, I accept. Now, it's really bugging me. My question is: Should I continue to interview with the other location, or do I let them know that their company extended an offer in another State? OR, should I reach out to the hiring manager after the background and casually try to negotiate more by asking for a relocation or a few thousand more? I do not want to appear ungrateful or greedy. From what others have done, I should have been able to negotiate some. Thoughts??

I should clarify about the comment of relocation - I meant relocation package for the location that offered and I am not too keen on living. Neither position is anywhere near where I currently live.

23 months ago

I thought I have read every situation possible in regards to job questions/situations until I came across yours.

23 months ago

Yeah, I am know to always be in unique situations. I can add to this.... I also have an offer with the State for a much lower salary in a cool location doing a completely different job. I can't really live off the salary. However, it's government versus retail management. I am awaiting background clearance with them too.
The background check scenario is a whole other concern....22 years ago stupidity. Fortunately, their screening only asks in the past 10 years...

23 months ago

What is the position in govt???

23 months ago

Manager of a DMV. The salary is non-negot. It is literally half that of the Retail Big Box store offer.

23 months ago

Big Box Retail can beat one up depending on your personality...it's not a cake walk. Govt gigs are cushy. How you ever get a Management position with DMV? I thought Management there was from internal promotions.

23 months ago

They had a posting online. I am a bank manager. They were looking for similar experience. It's considered "unclassified" meaning you aren't a protected class. You are basically like anyone else in the business sector - "at will". I haven't turned them down. They seem unorganized as to the hiring. They called me saying they needed more info from me because I am suppose to start on a certain date. I called back and said, I haven't received an offer yet. She said "oops", well we are offering you a position. You can start Feb 1st since you weren't prepared. Thus, I am trying to find out how the offer/background is going with this Big Box store - before Feb 1st. Worst case scenario with the big box, I don't negotiate a few grand more to get me over a mental hump-on their offer and I accept - transfer in a year to a better location (provided they don't go bankrupt). Otherwise, I accept the DMV, and struggle financially until I can move up. I am not sure how long it takes to get promoted with the State. Regardless, this is all a happy problem. I have been unemployed for almost a year. Everything is now happening at once.

23 months ago

I think you should try to figure out how to CAREFULLY and DIPLOMATICALLY tell them that you have been offered the position in another locale but you really want the other preferred location. Choose your words carefully. WTF, if they say goodbye well you have the govt gig to fall back on you know.

23 months ago

Thanks! That is good advice. It's funny that their HR isn't connected and has no way of knowing where you applied in their own company. Some banks are the same. I also know Wal-marts aren't connected. (That isn't the big box I was referring to). Thanks again, Joe - good advice.

23 months ago

I have to go, this is taxing my brain. I'm actually stressed out from being unemployed myself, but keep checking back because I'm sure others will comment with good advice for you in the next day and probably sometime tonight. Good Luck! I wish you the best.

jenab in Austin, Texas

23 months ago

swhmetta in austin, Texas said: Meanwhile, the same company is interviewing me for the same position in a different State at a better location. Now, they haven't extended an offer yet, but they really liked me. They want to move forward to another interview. I would prefer to work there. I also feel that I should have at least attempted to negotiate my base salary a little with the one who did offer.

You already know it's a delicate situation. I wouldn't count on a relocation offer; it's been a while since I've heard of anyone getting that except for software developers with strong mobile/web dev experience. You can still negotiate, but your position isn't all that strong. If you do try to negotiate, have specific reasons why you think you're worth it, and why it benefits them.

Good luck.

(I'm still blinking at this scenario)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

swhmetta in austin, Texas said: I have put out about 20 applications for the same company all over the country. Go figure, there was one location that I applied to that I wasn't too keen all living. I have no idea why I applied there. Well, they officially offered me a position verbally, contingent on a background check, which I have not done yet. This offer came yesterday and they haven't scheduled it yet. Meanwhile, the same company is interviewing me for the same position in a different State at a better location. Now, they haven't extended an offer yet, but they really liked me. They want to move forward to another interview. I would prefer to work there. I also feel that I should have at least attempted to negotiate my base salary a little with the one who did offer. I was so caught off guard, that I just said thanks, I accept. Now, it's really bugging me. My question is: Should I continue to interview with the other location, or do I let them know that their company extended an offer in another State? OR, should I reach out to the hiring manager after the background and casually try to negotiate more by asking for a relocation or a few thousand more? I do not want to appear ungrateful or greedy. From what others have done, I should have been able to negotiate some. Thoughts??
Go interview in the other state. You may have agreed to pay, but you haven't been formally extended an offer. Wait 'til you've been extended a formal offer and go from there. Keep looking for other jobs.

As they saying goes, a bird in the hand............

23 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: THE BANK JOB DIDN'T FIND OUT ABOUT THE STUPIDITY 20 YRS AGO? BANKS HAVE THOROUGH BACKGROUND CHECKS SINCE YOUR HANDLING MONEY.

Your life is almost like a soap opera you know that.

Bankrupt??? What are we talking Sears here.

Well, fortunately, I was a top performer over the years. Perhaps, they didn't care or look. Now, they have the SAFE ACT, which requires FBI fingerprinting. I wouldn't have been unemployed this long if it weren't for that. I had several offers taken away based on backgrounds. My advice is to keep selling yourself and your accomplishments. Hopefully, they will look past one's history. (myself). That is why I am grateful for these offers.

23 months ago

The more I think about it....As far as renegotiating a verbal salary offer, seems a little risky. I take the risk of losing their offer for $4-6k more. In the scheme of things, that's not a lot, It's more of a mental hump. I think that if I do well this year, merit increase are low, due to the economy, and it may take a year just to get that extra $6k. That's my mental hump.
Although, it's not in writing and it's contingent on background/drug test etc..., I still accepted. I could attempt to approach it by saying something to the effect as: "I have a question. I know I didn't negotiate my starting salary, as it slipped my mind at the time -my fault- but, does the company offer any moving expenses?" That might prompt them to ask, what would you have tried to negotiate?
By the way, as far as being concerned about them going bankrupt....It's Best Buy. Love them, but worry about their future.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

swhmetta in austin, Texas said: Manager of a DMV. The salary is non-negot. It is literally half that of the Retail Big Box store offer.
People are saying government jobs aren't as good as they once were. My gut feeling would be to be wary of an at-will government job (!). On the other hand, it's with the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Is the job in Austin? A job with the DMV in a state capital could give rise to many possibilities.

23 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: People are saying government jobs aren't as good as they once were. My gut feeling would be to be wary of an at-will government job (!). On the other hand, it's with the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Is the job in Austin? A job with the DMV in a state capital could give rise to many possibilities.

No, it's not in Texas. I thought about that. I have no idea or reference as to what sort of merit increases or promotions that DMV managers get. Still, it might be more secure than BB. Although, BB appears to be making some positive changes. I am just going to let GOD handle all of this. I usually make poor decisions anyways. Thus, I will just see what happens. I have 10 days before the government job wants me. A lot can happen between now and then. Thanks!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.