Unfair iInterview Tactics in IT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Sean DeYoung in Phoenix, Arizona

13 months ago

I just interviewed for a SQL Development position and was really taken back by one of the senior interviewers. I was asked several questions that were designed to determine my level of SQL understanding. I answered the questions correctly but each time I did the interviewer treated me like I answered them incorrectly. His eyes getting big and replying back to me with words like "Are you sure?" and "Are you honestly saying that this is the case?" and in a very derogatory and flippant manner. I know my answers where correct but did verify after the interview that I was indeed correct. The interviewer gave feedback to my recruiter after the interview telling them that I was weak on the SQL skills they were interviewing for. This is upsetting because now my recruitment company sees me as less capable in the area then I actually am. Does anyone have any ideas how I can set the record straight and what recourse I have to this kind of situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

13 months ago

Like so many of us in IT, it sounds like you're a pawn in the "Let's try to get Congress to raise the cap on H1B visas" game. No matter how qualified you are, they will lie and cheat to get cheap overseas labor.

If the recruiter is not privy to what's really going on, then say you piece.

If I were you, I would contact my Senator and US Rep.
It is very tough when the deck is stacked against us. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Sean DeYoung in Phoenix, Arizona said: I just interviewed for a SQL Development position and was really taken back by one of the senior interviewers. I was asked several questions that were designed to determine my level of SQL understanding. I answered the questions correctly but each time I did the interviewer treated me like I answered them incorrectly. His eyes getting big and replying back to me with words like "Are you sure?" and "Are you honestly saying that this is the case?" and in a very derogatory and flippant manner. I know my answers where correct but did verify after the interview that I was indeed correct. The interviewer gave feedback to my recruiter after the interview telling them that I was weak on the SQL skills they were interviewing for. This is upsetting because now my recruitment company sees me as less capable in the area then I actually am. Does anyone have any ideas how I can set the record straight and what recourse I have to this kind of situation?

Things aren't always as they appear.

I got my last job when their "Dream Candidate" backed out because his/her "Dream Job" came through. That wasn't my most awe-inspiring interview but after I was hired, I found out that I was the low bidder. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Unix Brat: It is funny you should mention that given that I didn't even divulge the nationality of my interviewers. Both interviewers were Indian and I am about as white as a person can get. From my experience it is a complete waste of time being interviewed by Indian's. There is I believe a heavy discrimination and prejudice factor against white Americans in that situation. Thanks for your reply.

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Sean DeYoung in Phoenix, Arizona said: Unix Brat: It is funny you should mention that given that I didn't even divulge the nationality of my interviewers. Both interviewers were Indian and I am about as white as a person can get. From my experience it is a complete waste of time being interviewed by Indian's. There is I believe a heavy discrimination and prejudice factor against white Americans in that situation. Thanks for your reply.

LOL! Oh, that explains it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

13 months ago

Interviewing for SQL jobs is like the Special Olympics, only, I'd probably like those guys. Several things.

First, that kind of thing can be a test. They want to see how you respond under pressure and since they're pro-psychologists this is how they do it.

Second, most people don't know SQL nearly as well as they think, especially on the interviewer side. Very often you'll get asked to solve a problem that they've probably looked up in a book, that took them an hour to nail down, but, you've got to do it in 2 minutes. It's an incredibly dumb way to interview, especially on SQL, where the concepts often matter more than the syntax.

Third, every variant is different. I've worked on, studied, or certified, MySQL, SQL Server, SAS, Oracle, Access and Progress. Some, I know reasonably well, others less so, but they're all different. Even on something as simple as dates, their approaches are all different. In fact, date syntax is something that I barely memorize. Also, beware the interviewer, this is prevalent on the T-SQL side, who doesn't understand the other variants if you come from them. They're very dangerous, uninformed and rigid critters.

Fourth, you can run into a pro (sarcastically) who wants to play stump the techie. If he were a pro, the odds are very good he wouldn't play this game, or ask syntax questions, but the problem is that he isn't, knows it, and needs to prove his intellectual superiority. Sucks! There's nothing worse than competing with the interviewer. Welcome to IT!

Last thought, I assume this is brokered? If so, then who cares what they think. Find one of their ten thousand brothers who all have the same gig. They aren't even a dime a dozen.

13 months ago

Sean DeYoung in Phoenix, Arizona said: Unix Brat: It is funny you should mention that given that I didn't even divulge the nationality of my interviewers. Both interviewers were Indian and I am about as white as a person can get. From my experience it is a complete waste of time being interviewed by Indian's. There is I believe a heavy discrimination and prejudice factor against white Americans in that situation. Thanks for your reply.

I missed this part. I was trying to be nice, and I try to not hit this issue.

Indians, bar none, the worst. Forget everything else I wrote. This was your problem.

13 months ago

You hit on some very important factors. All true. I have seen first hand everything you spoke of. Thanks!

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: I missed this part. I was trying to be nice, and I try to not hit this issue.

Indians, bar none, the worst. Forget everything else I wrote. This was your problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

At this point I am convinced that it was a matter of wrong place, wrong time, with the wrong interviewers. I distinctly got the impression that the interviewer got progressively more and more upset with me when I able to field his questions. Hard to do well in an interview when doing well pisses your interviewer off.

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: I missed this part. I was trying to be nice, and I try to not hit this issue.

Whenever I am interviewed by one, I know I am wasting my time.

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

13 months ago

Yes, and this happens all across the good ol' USA, even way out in the sticks. Discrimination really stinks. All I can say is hang in there.

Riot in Massachusetts

13 months ago

Some of the people I work with are Indian and pretty nice guys. They're going to teach me Hindi; I'm thinking that if I ever end up in a similar hiring situation that I will be able to at least confuse the interviewers enough to have a good laugh.

13 months ago

It is my proposition that the reason they are nice guys is because they need you in some way such as collaboration at work, and doubt that there is an altruism bone in their bodies. But then again there is debate whether altruism exists at all anyways. If I didn't feel an obligation to others to represent myself accordingly - those that helped line up the interview - I could have done just what you said. However, that probably would have just made it an even more uncomfortable situation for everybody involved and went against my professional principles. The old saying if you can't beat them join them isn't allows the best answer.

Riot in Massachusetts said: Some of the people I work with are Indian and pretty nice guys. They're going to teach me Hindi; I'm thinking that if I ever end up in a similar hiring situation that I will be able to at least confuse the interviewers enough to have a good laugh.

13 months ago

Peers are different than "superiors". I interviewed with an Indian guy who took it to the point of claiming he created a programming language to upstage me. Yeah, sure, bro, because I'm pretty sure if that were true you'd know the buzzwords I just dropped on you.

13 months ago

And, to be fair, the prior post is a failing of many managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Yeah, I have experienced dozens of situations where the manager or lead in the group told me when I first started how they had programmed different things (i.e. databases, code, website etc..). Only to find out later they of course didn't and didn't have any part in it. It is commonality it seems within the IT industry. A total lack of ethics and no shame whatsoever.

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: And, to be fair, the prior post is a failing of many managers.

Alex in Arlington, Texas

12 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Peers are different than "superiors". I interviewed with an Indian guy who took it to the point of claiming he created a programming language to upstage me. Yeah, sure, bro, because I'm pretty sure if that were true you'd know the buzzwords I just dropped on you.

Yea...Indians are the worst set of people to interview with. Pure waste of time and energy, they would prefer to advance candidates from their own country. Just had a horrible interview with an Indian last week.

12 months ago

Alex in Arlington, Texas said: Yea...Indians are the worst set of people to interview with. Pure waste of time and energy, they would prefer to advance candidates from their own country. Just had a horrible interview with an Indian last week.

It is a kick in the teeth when you know your most likely stronger then they are in skills in the industry plus they are over here on some kind of Visa and obstructing your ability to make a living in the country where you were born. Not to mention the hard work of your families and ancestor's who in many cases gave their lives to build the country.

12 months ago

Honestly though, we'd do the same thing if we were in their country. Our real problem is that we've allowed an anything goes mantra when it comes to business. Some even worship at the altar of it and they've got to be the dumbest collection of idiots I've ever seen.

12 months ago

As honestly as I can say it I don't believe I would do the same thing. I would take each individual interviewee and treat them equally and only judge them on their capability to do the job. I wouldn't feel right picking a candidate based on their ethnicity. I agree with you on everything else you said.

robert in Las Vegas, Nevada

12 months ago

I worked with some indians and share same experience, does any of you have idea if these H1b Indians can work multiple jobs at once, guy who worked with me got constantly gigs from other indians working all over the US he makes lots of money working under the table while sitting on 1 job ,he even works on other projects while on our company time, of course he does not pay any taxes from other gigs, is that legal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

Working under the table and not paying taxes is definitely not legal. HB1 workers are required to report earnings and pay taxes. Working another job while being at a job isn't illegal but it is certainly grounds for immediate dismissal and possible civil lawsuit if the company wanted to pursue that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

My question is that if someone on H1b visa can hold multiple jobs? my understanding was that they can only be employed by one employer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

Robert, you work in the IT industry and do any gambling?

12 months ago

I do not do any gambling do not care as a matter of fact I want to get away as far as possible from LV, seems like the whole town is a magnet for losers

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.