Wait time after final interview...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Analystpro in Greenville, South Carolina

15 months ago

The wait time after the final interview should be no longer than 2 weeks. My opinion is that you should not try and inquire about the position before two weeks have passed since the last interview.

If they tell you that you will hear from them in 3 days then wait at least 5 days to make another inquiry...but only if you must. If they really want YOU then they will keep in touch and follow through.

You should send thank you notes to everyone who interviewed you within 24 hours of the interview. An email thank you will be more timely and I believe therefore more appropriate.

As everyone else on every job forum says, never stop looking until you get the offer. The offer can fall through for an infinite number of reasons.

Waiting is the absolute hardest thing to do after an interview, keep yourself busy and don't wait by the phone. You deserve to treat yourself better than this.

The employer has other things going on and may still be looking at other candidates. If you really felt like you nailed it then there is nothing more you can do.

There is no typical time it takes to hear back, if someone says there is, then they are not familiar with the process.

GOOD LUCK!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Aurora, Colorado

15 months ago

Mail the thank-you letters - don't e-mail them. Consider that busy people receive legions of e-mail daily. Each e-mail has to be dealt with - one way or the other. The "other" could be ignoring or deleting it because the receiver does not immediately recall your name, or a spam filter could block it or the e-mail daemon kicks it back. The latter has happened to me. Mailed letters stand out and arrive timely enough to make the hoped-for impact.

After sending the thank-you letters, do nothing further. Thank-you letters are your followup. Anything further is nagging, and no one likes to be nagged. The employer will spare no effort in calling you if it wants to go forward with you. Otherwise, you're wasting your time. Not to mention you increase your anxiety and frustration levels. Absolutely, positively do not sit by the phone. I wouldn't even provide my cell number, because I could be in a bad location should they call.

Great post otherwise. Thanks for summarizing most of what other users have articulated forever here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Hyattsville, Maryland

15 months ago

IMHO, letters are more formal than email. I limit sending "thank you's" by email to relatives and friends, and for informal or minor favors.

Also IMHO, follow-up calls should be made in 2 circumstances: you have a deadline for making a decision (e.g., you have another offer) or they have taken an inordinate amount of time (and this one is marginal. Many companies do not contact people whom they have decided not to hire even after interviews).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Jeff in Hyattsville, Maryland said: IMHO, letters are more formal than email. I limit sending "thank you's" by email to relatives and friends, and for informal or minor favors.

Also IMHO, follow-up calls should be made in 2 circumstances: you have a deadline for making a decision (e.g., you have another offer) or they have taken an inordinate amount of time (and this one is marginal. Many companies do not contact people whom they have decided not to hire even after interviews).

I agree. In my opinion, Thank You cards are for baby showers today. Still, if you must do it, don't do email as that is so common place today. Easily ignored.

Send a real Thank You card and then apply for five more jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.