The Waiting Game

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 245)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Tiredoftrying in Phoenix, Arizona

52 months ago

I don't think it makes much difference either way, but I'd wait one more week if you decide to follow up. Then I'd merely continue to express interest and I might ask if things are still in process. Chances are if three weeks go by with no word the job won't be yours anyway but you can get some closure without looking like a pest. If anything, they'll look like morons for not getting back to you for three weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

ronnie in Tulsa, Oklahoma

42 months ago

I also have a similar situation, I received a call from a company two months ago and I had my interview a week after that, everything went well and they even got me an extra interview in some department where I would be a very nice fit. They emailed me next day asking me for some information about recruiting an international (since they have never recruited one) three weeks after that I got a call saying that they will be sending me an offer within next week.. It's been one whole month after that I every time I contact them, they don't know what to tell me. What do you think I should do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Rusty in Bothell, Washington

42 months ago

Char123 in Los Angeles, California said: Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Looks like there's a lot of great advice and comments given here.

I am in the process of interviewing for a position that I really want, and want your insight. I applied online for the job, and within 2 days, got an email from HR to schedule a phone screen. The phone screen went really well, and the HR rep told me that she would be recommending me to the hiring manager.

The day after, I get an email from the HR rep to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager for the next week. The interview went pretty well. I gave some great answers, and some ok ones. We even shared a few laughs. He informed me that I'll hear back in 2 weeks regarding the next steps. I immediately mailed him a thank you card after our interview.

It's almost been 2 weeks and I haven't heard back. Here's the thing - I'm thinking that if I had passed the second round, they would've told me soon after and I wouldn't have to wait two weeks. It's not like I'm waiting to hear back on an offer at this point (I realize that can take awhile)...but the next step is just another in-person interview with the director. They don't need to 2 weeks to tell me whether or not I make it to the next round of interviews. I feel like they're fishing for other better candidates in the meantime.

Is my assumption correct? Or am I thinking too much? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Boy, I'm not so sure about how long the wait can be. I heard back from a company almost 2 months after applying with them. And they really liked me but I realized it would entail a 1 hour commute each way. I told them I would not drive that far and they were disappointed, telling me if I change my mind to call them back. Companies can take a long time to decide, and 2 weeks doesn't seem that long. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

M Derossett in Austin, Texas

42 months ago

After two phone interviews a company flew me out for a face to face meeting. I met with 4 department employees, including my perspective boss and the Vice President. I was told by the recruiter that the company would be in touch. I sent the appropriate thank you letters to all the individuals I interviewed with. 2 weeks went by, so I decided to submit my 30/60/90 to the recruiter and the VP I would be reporting to. I received a thank you from the recruiter 2 days later stating that the team was still interviewing and hadn't made a decision yet. Since then, it has been 3 more weeks with no word. I noticed that there are four jobs posted now in the department that I interviewed with. Could the company be looking for several candidates, with the intention of filling them all at once? Should I send another letter to confirm my ongoing interest in the company?

I don't want to hurt my chances, but I would like to know if I'm still in the running or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Vestal, New York

41 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: What is a 30/60/90?

Business plan for the first thirty, sixty, and ninety days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Vestal, New York

41 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: What is a 30/60/90?

Business plan for the first thirty, sixty, and ninety days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LYNND in Whittier, California

36 months ago

Char123 in Los Angeles, California said: ...I am disappointed though - not only because I didn't get the job, but because they came off as such genuine and nice individuals, that I thought they'd at least reply and say, "Sorry, you didn't get the job." ... I understand that companies don't need to notify all candidates, but if one makes the effort to follow up, at least reply. Unresponsiveness is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I know the feeling. Been there too.

In some relationships if you don't have anything nice to say you don't say anything at all. In professional settings, an acknowledgment following an interview — albeit a rejection — is still necessary. Business schools don't teach etiquette, however.

It's not, as some have suggested, that job seekers put off their search pining for a post-interview reply. The objection is to the cold shoulder. To shirk the difficult aspects of working as an HR professional — to inform your interviewees of the outcome — is WRONG.

Alternately, it is possible that there was no job opening to begin with.

In August 2011 the nation added no net jobs. Yet job seekers saw many job listings just the same. More tellingly, many job ads repeat month to month!

A friend suggested that such job ads strike him as an effort to assure company shareholders that the company is gearing up for a growth phase. In other words, job postings may not be about genuine vacancies but to boost stock performance. This kind of tactic never occurred to me but the longer I help my semi-employed DH look for full-time work — well over a year — the more I suspect a SCAM of sorts targets a vulnerable class: the unemployed. It may be that the hiring managers can't answer for the interviews because nobody is hired. What smacks of indifference may in fact be worse: Trickery. (Busywork to justify their own jobs.)

It should be illegal to repeatedly solicit for a non-existent position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

36 months ago

There are plenty of scam job ads out there. I'm looking straight at you employment agencies of any sort.

Anyway, getting notice back after an interview is now passe in my experience. I've only gotten notice back for one of my last three interviews. I interviewed at one of those places twice, with no notice whatsoever back afterward. One of the other places indicated they'd call me back in for the next week when one of the people who was supposed to interview me ended up on a conference call instead. The one employer who gave me notice back embarrassed me with a 10-minute "interview." Thanks, I had no idea I wasn't getting that job. Who knew?

All you can do with interviews nowadays is send your thank you note and move on to the next interview. You cannot dwell on it or watch the pot hoping that it will boil because employers do not value your time unless you're the one ultimately hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

When I do an interview, I will ask if I'll be contacted either one way or the other, or only if the background matches up to exactly what they're looking for. This way, it'll help me to determine whether or not to follow up.

You want to be persistent, but at the same time, you don't want to be a pest either. Otherwise, it's just like they say in show business: "Don't call us. We'll call you."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jonnymac0476 in Harrisville, Rhode Island

30 months ago

It is important to let the potential employer know that you are marketable and in-demand. Whether or not you have other interviews or opportunities available, if you give the impression that others are interested in your talents, you will present the facade that you are in-demand and that others are willing to pay well for your talent(s). No one knows how marketable you are, it is all about making it seem you are you are the right candidate and that you have multiple offers for employment. Confidence goes a long way, whether or not other offers actually exist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jr987943 in Kintnersville, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

Just had the same problem.
I went on an interview 3 weeks ago, and I thought it went great.
I met with two people and stayed over 2 hours talking about ideas and qualifications.
I sent a thank you note the next day, followed up a week later, and just follow-up again yesterday...and nothing.
I am so annoyed an upset about this, I took a half a day off work to go on the interview... the least they could do is send an email to say the position has been filled. I understand these people are busy and probably have gotten a million resumes from career builder but still it takes 2 seconds to send an email.
So disappointed, thanks for letting me rant :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

jr987943 in Kintnersville, Pennsylvania said: Just had the same problem.
I went on an interview 3 weeks ago, and I thought it went great.
I met with two people and stayed over 2 hours talking about ideas and qualifications.
I sent a thank you note the next day, followed up a week later, and just follow-up again yesterday...and nothing.
I am so annoyed an upset about this, I took a half a day off work to go on the interview... the least they could do is send an email to say the position has been filled. I understand these people are busy and probably have gotten a million resumes from career builder but still it takes 2 seconds to send an email.
So disappointed, thanks for letting me rant :)

Never wait for an answer and never stop applying. In lieu of a written job offer, you have nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

29 months ago

As Gregory House would say, everybody lies. *Especially* cowardly HR representatives.

I can't tell you how many times I was promised "a call either way," and they never call back, and any attempt I make at contacting them is like I'm from a collection agency or have the black death.

I'd contact them once, about two weeks after the last interview. Whatever they say, the next move after that is theirs.

Your 30/60/90 probably got thrown right in the trash, sorry to say. If you do/do not have something they want, nothing you do/say/write will change the fact. I've never heard of a situation where someone was not going to get hired, but then they wrote an amazing thank you card and got the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hawk in Quincy, Massachusetts

29 months ago

Char123 in Los Angeles, California said: Well just to give an update - I ended up sending the manager I interviewed with a follow up email early this morning since today marks the end of the 2 weeks. I know a lot of people in this forum don't believe in follow ups, but I wanted to see the rejection letter with my own eyes before I give up entirely. I wanted closure...and maybe I also had that glimmer of hope.

Anyway, it's 6:00pm now, and I never got a reply. So I guess I can take the silence as a rejection letter. I am disappointed though - not only because I didn't get the job, but because they came off as such genuine and nice individuals, that I thought they'd at least reply and say, "Sorry, you didn't get the job." Is it really that hard to write a reply? I understand that companies don't need to notify all candidates, but if one makes the effort to follow up, at least reply. Unresponsiveness is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Well, back to square 1. Thanks for being my soap box. :)

Just reading this now and am disgustted that nothing has changed in this long, ugh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joe gagill in Monticello, New York

29 months ago

After I interviewed for a position..............a few weeks later I almost had a heart attack because I received a phone call from 1 of the interviewers telling me I didn't get the job.

I told him in so many words that his reaching out to me via phone was extremely professional, rare, and it spoke volumes about the company and his character.

I remember thinking afterwards that I didn't care that I didn't get the job as strange as that sounds. That was such a nice act that he did.

Alot of these interviewers go into hiding after the interview unless your the one they choose for the position. You have to have thick skin. Job searching is not for the weak.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rusty in Kirkland, Washington

29 months ago

joe gagill in Monticello, New York said: After I interviewed for a position..............a few weeks later I almost had a heart attack because I received a phone call from 1 of the interviewers telling me I didn't get the job.

I told him in so many words that his reaching out to me via phone was extremely professional, rare, and it spoke volumes about the company and his character.

I remember thinking afterwards that I didn't care that I didn't get the job as strange as that sounds. That was such a nice act that he did.

Alot of these interviewers go into hiding after the interview unless your the one they choose for the position. You have to have thick skin. Job searching is not for the weak.

All true what you say Joe. And they did call to turn you down, THAT is a change. Keep on applying. Keep on looking, networking and searching. All it takes is one offer, one job. Good luck in your searches, to all of you out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

29 months ago

When I was looking for a job and out of work for 2 years, I kept hearing my cell phone ring when it wasn't actually ringing. Sounds strange… but the anticipation of ANY company calling me for a job interview was driving me crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cami546 in Washington, District of Columbia

28 months ago

I'm interesed in the forum's take on the following. Applied online and was asked to interview within a week. The interview went really well and was asked to comeback for a second. The second interview went really well and was asked to submit a writing sample. The writing samples were well received and praised by it's reviewers. Received a call from HR and was asked about compensation, and HR ultimately proposed a figure which was fine by me. I followed up a couple of days later and was asked for more references. References were contacted and everything went well according to HR. I was even told that the hiring proposal had been approved by the hirig supervisor (who interviewed me) an all that was needed was a signature from this person's boss and that an offer letter was imminent (by cob). Seven business days have passed and no news. I have reached out for a status update, but have received no response. How long should one wait to contact HR again? Should I contact the person who interviewed me? Please help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Cami546 in Washington, District of Columbia said: I'm interesed in the forum's take on the following. Applied online and was asked to interview within a week. The interview went really well and was asked to comeback for a second. The second interview went really well and was asked to submit a writing sample. The writing samples were well received and praised by it's reviewers. Received a call from HR and was asked about compensation, and HR ultimately proposed a figure which was fine by me. I followed up a couple of days later and was asked for more references. References were contacted and everything went well according to HR. I was even told that the hiring proposal had been approved by the hirig supervisor (who interviewed me) an all that was needed was a signature from this person's boss and that an offer letter was imminent (by cob). Seven business days have passed and no news. I have reached out for a status update, but have received no response. How long should one wait to contact HR again? Should I contact the person who interviewed me? Please help!!

Yes. But be careful. I think they may slowly be trying to get you to send them your person in a piecemeal fashion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

If I read it correctly, and 1 week has passed, wait longer. Companies get busy and can't move that fast. Wait another week or so, then reach out to HR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cami546 in Vienna, Virginia

28 months ago

Thank you for your advice. I will go ahead and wait. Thanks again!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Raytheon did the same to me, and eventually called back with a different position, in a distant city that I wouldn't move to on a bet. And I told the recruiter this in those words. He laughed and said they keep my resume on file.
Positions are eliminated, filled from within or shelved waiting on funding. I'd call them back and keep on trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MishMish in Newtonville, Massachusetts

28 months ago

This is directly with the company, but that seems like what's probably going to happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lifeisshort in Mchenry, Illinois

28 months ago

Has anyone ever turned the tables on these people who never get back? I had a phone interview with the person I would be working with, then had a face to face with the same person. I was told I would hear a in "a few days" because the hiring process had "An agressive timeline". He had offered his number in the event I had any questions. I took time off, drove a long way, spent considerable time prepping for the interview, as I was leaving the interview, I was told I was one of 8 candidates in the running. Immediately sent thank you, then a week later, sent another polite email stating I was still interested, then I called a few days later. After 4 weeks, no response, so sent another email asking about interview progress. NOTHING. I wrote the guy back after 4 weeks stating I was withdrawing primarly due to the lack of response to my communication. I did it politely and professionally. At this point, I don't want to work for someone who couldn't spend the time to write "I received your email."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joshua07 in Philippines

27 months ago

You should call them so that they will know that you're still interested. What if they don't like you, its like you waste your time because of waiting for the job that will never be yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Hope in Basildon, United Kingdom

27 months ago

It's the same over here in the UK!
I went for an interview last Wednesday and it went ok (well to me) and the guy said that he would get back to me within a week!

Still waiting....

RUDE PEOPLE HEY! :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt87 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

27 months ago

Immediately after I received my undergrad degree, my sister said I should apply to her school 'shes a teacher' to be a full time teacher's aid while I was in graduate school. I thought that would be cool, since I lived in Michigan and the job was in Florida and living in Florida with my sister for a bit would be awesome. So, I sent in an application, got a call from my sister's boss, and she said the interview would have to be in person. I said then that I wanted to make sure before I flew down I was a serious candidate for the position, as I had to spend a lot of money and time to do so. She assured me I was, and the fact my sister worked at the school 'a small private school' only helped my chances and the interview was a formality 'she gave impression i had already gotten the job'. I thought that's fair, so I spent a considerable amount of money for a next-day flight, from Michigan to Florida to do the interview. The interview was standard, I had experience working with kids and had computer knowledge and seemed to be exactly what they needed. I was told in the interview I would hear, either way, after two weeks.
I fly back to Michigan and anxiously await a phone call. One week goes by, nothing. Two weeks go by, nothing. My sister said it might be because she was busy, but even my sister thought it was rude. Long story short, I sent an e-mail and a phone call after a month and never heard a thing.
It wasn't until three months later, after I had given up all hope, that I get a generic e-mail stating I was not selected for the part. '2 months after school started..well duh'
So not ONLY did I fly across the country to interview for a job, it was at a school my SISTER worked for! I wouldn't be as mad if she hadn't completely blown me off after I flew across the country after she promised to call, knowing full well i am her employees brother. My sister still works there, but her co-workers all agree that was horrible

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Welcome to job hunting, Matt. It's standard for employers to not give any notice back after an interview around half of the time. I'm not surprised by your story. I would wonder if your sister would now be uncomfortable working there given this story. Probably would be best for her to simply forget it and not even bring it up.

Getting on a plane for an interview is probably something I wouldn't consider because the potential for a big let down is fairly decent. Just going to local interviews and getting rejected is hard enough. Just my two cents.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scovy in Seattle, Washington

27 months ago

This is one thing that has absolutely disgusted me, companies that never get back to you after interviewing with them. I'm talking about a face to face interview or a phone interview with a hiring manager and not just simply sending off a resume expecting to hear back. I do the thank you email follow up and never hear back. Two recent examples with face to face interviews, one involving the entire department of 12 people interviewing me and the other driving 70 miles and taking half the day to interview with three managers. Both jobs were ones I would love to have but like most people responding on here there's that slight hope that you get the call with a job offer. If any HR people, recruiters, and Hiring Mangers are reading this please take to 10 seconds to send an email and REPLY back to us about not getting the job. The irony of this I get more emails and even a signed mailed letter from companies that I never interviewed with saying that I didn't get the job then from the ones I interviewed with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

Scovy in Seattle, Washington said: This is one thing that has absolutely disgusted me, companies that never get back to you after interviewing with them.

I am so over expecting a response anymore. Maybe 1 in 10 will send you something today.

Following an interview, even a "great one", I go home and apply for 5 more jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

27 months ago

Of the last round of interviews I've had (2 face-to-face and 2 phone), I've actually received 3 "no thank you" emails back after I followed up.
It was so unusual that I sent Thank-You emails back to them for letting me know and to wish them luck with their candidate search. Weird..

Of course, the only one I haven't heard back from is Randstad.
But they're scum like the rest and I expected as much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario said: Of the last round of interviews I've had (2 face-to-face and 2 phone), I've actually received 3 "no thank you" emails back after I followed up.

I keep a spreadsheet of when I applied and if and when I interviewed. I mark off 30 days from those dates. If I haven't heard back one way or the other, I cross them off. This takes the emotion out of it for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I keep a spreadsheet of when I applied and if and when I interviewed. I mark off 30 days from those dates. If I haven't heard back one way or the other, I cross them off. This takes the emotion out of it for me.

I should really do this, but I have two problems with it:

1) I don't know Excel

2) The only column with information in it would be the "applied" column. And then there are the blind ads to which I apply. I don't know why I bother, but I have gotten interviews from blind ads, shockingly enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Spreadsheet is a good idea.
What I do now is keep a folder on my desktop and each time I apply, I save a copy of the job description, the resume I used and any cover letters I've written.
The time stamp on the files is my indicator as to when I've applied.

I also have a Job Search folder in Outlook that I keep all correspondence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario said: Spreadsheet is a good idea.
What I do now is keep a folder on my desktop and each time I apply, I save a copy of the job description, the resume I used and any cover letters I've written.

Nothing wrong with that. The point is to treat job hunting as a miserable business and take the emotion out of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario said: Spreadsheet is a good idea.

Nice job. I wish I had the motivation to do the same. The problem would be the ever growing stack of outgoing material, with very little result to show for it, eating away at the psyche.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

The main reason I keep the folders is so that I can reference the postings if a recruiter calls.
There's nothing like fumbling with the questions, "Can you tell me why you want to work here?" or "Are you familiar with our service"

I totally didn't get a chance to review a company last week and thought that I knew enough when they called.
Turned out I didn't and ended up reciting what their competitor offers.
Opps..

I just got that rejection letter yesterday :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

I don't really have trouble like that because I'm targeting only law firms, so it's mostly for the same type of work with each response. All I really have to remember is my work experience and skills.

I can't say I've ever had someone call me up after a submitted resume to ask me why I want to work there or if I'm familiar with what they do. Are they really asking these questions in initial phone responses as part of a phone interview? Sheesh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Those questions are usually asked for the lower-end jobs.
I've been applying to a bunch of admin-type call center jobs lately out of desperation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

27 months ago

I have never been very good at lying. When asked why I want to work at a particular company, I truly want to say "because I need a job you idiot!"......

When I have been asked about what I've been doing during my employment gap, I really want to say "looking for a job you fool, what do you think?!"

I literally can not afford to keep taking classes to learn the latest and greatest software package.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

^ this is basically what I've been doing too.

Except I usually say, "I'd like to say that I traveled the world and learned 15 computer programs, but the fact is I barely have enough money to have a roof over my head, let alone those kinds of expenses."

Blunt and honest. Let them judge, I don't care anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in New Britain, Connecticut

27 months ago

Nick - YOU are still waiting on the results of your phone interview? Have you heard back or will you follow up if not?
I used to follow up but now I no longer bother, it only serves to agitate, either they won't answer your call or email or they'll give you some "we selected a candidate who was a better fit for our needs blah blah" bs or some variant thereof. I still cannot get over how it has become standard to not let interview candidates personally know esp. if the employer says they will. I'd rather they said "if you don't hear from us by Friday we hired someone else" because that leaves the impression they're not going to consider you for ANY future job either at least a polite rejection letter kinda gives you hope they might.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

My interview was technically was with a "first round" recruiter, and though I do have what appears to be her direct phone number, I won't follow up if I don't get a call. Not with this company. I've already driven 3 hours each way and stayed in a hotel on my own dime to interview with this company (the last time I was in process with them), so from here on in if they're interested, they know where I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

LifeIsShort

27 months ago

To all of you people out there ignoring good candidates, rudely taking time and money from those of us who can least afford it, stating you will call then you don't: May your day will come when you'll find out what it is like to be treated by rude uncaring people. I am fed up with the "behavioral" interviews, the negative line of questioning and most of all- You wasted my precious time and money while you make a game out of the process. I just want a job- I just want to do what I do very well because I AM a great worker. Hire me because my friends and former bosses say I am great at what I do.
I say this for all of us who have posted here who are treated rudely. By the way, hiring person- someday you may be face to face to me at a business opportunity- and I will remember you didn't follow through. Why would I want to do business with someone like you? Sleep well tonight because tomorrow, your world could change with a call into the office for the "chat".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No Reply - Report abuse

LifeIsShort

27 months ago

To all of you people out there ignoring good candidates, rudely taking time and money from those of us who can least afford it, stating you will call then you don't: May your day will come when you'll find out what it is like to be treated by rude uncaring people. I am fed up with the "behavioral" interviews, the negative line of questioning and most of all- You wasted my precious time and money while you make a game out of the process. I just want a job- I just want to do what I do very well because I AM a great worker. Hire me because my friends and former bosses say I am great at what I do.
I say this for all of us who have posted here who are treated rudely. By the way, hiring person- someday you may be face to face to me at a business opportunity- and I will remember you didn't follow through. Why would I want to do business with someone like you? Sleep well tonight because tomorrow, your world could change with a call into the office for the "chat".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mr. Cox in Clay City, Kentucky

27 months ago

I recently managed to secure a job interview, which is an accomplishment in itself in the flat economy. It is for an entry-level position, but the pay would be pretty good. I actually think it went pretty well. Basically, I had called by phone, and they agreed to set the interview up for me. When I arrived, the person doing the interview was actually a member of the staff, rather than the actual Employee Relations director, so I presume her opinion would definately count for a lot...Anyways, she was very friendly, asked me some standard written questions, then let me ask some of my own. She then asked me for a copy of my references, college transcript (which I was told to bring), and resume. The whole thing lasted about 20 minutes give or take. I asked her politely when I might hear something. She said 2-4 weeks. I thanked her for her time and left, feeling reasonably confident. The next day, I called the Director of Employee Relations (who had set the interview up for me, but who did not conduct it) and thanked her for making it possible. She said your very welcome, and volunteered that they were already checking my references and that I would hear something soon. I felt even more confident then! Friends I have spoken to have told me that the signs seem encouraging. Lastly, I sent in a written Thank You card to the Employee Relations Director, stating again thanks and that I look forward to being a part of their team...Today marks two weeks since my interview. Should I start worrying now? Or can I trust what the Employee Relations lady said about "being in touch with me soon"? The interviewer did say 2-4 weeks...I already did the phone call, sent the thank you note, should I just wait? Or would it be okay to call and ask what is the status of my application or timeline?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

A follow-up phone call or brief email couldn't hurt. Go for it.

Also, realize that nothing an employer says really means anything unless it is an offer of employment. Otherwise, they can say whatever they want to say and take as long as they want to take. They have no obligation to give you notice back at all, frankly. I'm just saying.

Make a brief inquiry, but always keep moving forward in your search. Never put too much stock into an interview or hang all of your hopes on getting it. Keep moving until you're hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

I have felt the same frustration as many on here but everyone needs to stay professional. It may feel good to give them a piece of your mind if they don't call back or send you a rejection letter but doing so only confirms their doubts about you and in a way makes them 'win' it's better to kill them with kindness and move on. Also it's a small world and you never know who knows who. Acting too emotional can come back to bite you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LifeisShort in Illinois

27 months ago

Let's remember is must go BOTH WAYS. People in this forum have gone above and beyond- flying to locations as their own expense, spending days interviewing, patiently waiting-
It is hard enough being unemployed. If companies think they have a "win" because they have been called out for their failure to respond to a candidate who spent time and money- and did all the right things, such as showing up a bit early, dressing appropriately, doing their homework and then hearing that they are in the running for the job, it is incomprehensible that a company could not provide some closure. I have heard too often where someone passed up another job because they where waiting to hear back from the "sure thing"- then to have their hopes dashed because the sure thing was never heard from again. This is not a game- this is serious business for the unemployed and underemployed. A company not long ago posted that they wanted 10,000 applications for 230 jobs-The company obviously could not begin to handle the volume of 10,000 applications. One lone voice in the crowd called them out on it. I was so impressed! The person posted the company was insulting to those who are trying to keep their head above water and working so hard to get a job. Turns out his bravery got him a job with another company. It is time to put a stop to this nonsense. If a company feels that wasting the time and dashing the hopes of the unemployed makes them feel they won because in their opinion the candidate was "emotional" for calling them out for their lack of response, I applaud the candidate for calling them out. Here is a little experiement- Try calling customer service for a company that never called you back. Chances are high that you will end up in a telephone maze that never helps you reach the person you need. What does that tell you about the company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

LifeisShort I am no supporter of these unfair and selfish practices currently in practice by so many employers. It is human nature when the ball is in your court to exploit your advantage. It's like any bubble which is tied with irrational exuberance. Companies are acting giddy and exploitative with all the candidates available to them and the desperate state many of us are in.

My post is meant for us the jobseekers and to focus not on the one that got away and instead finding the next interview. Also the whole interview process is subjective and these days you just have to interview impeccably. I too am mad the way some of my interviews and follow-up has been handled. It disgusts me but this whole thing is a numbers game and I am focused on getting as many interviews as I can til I get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.