Why am i not getting hired on

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 479)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Bob in Marion, Iowa

83 months ago

Well here is the picture i applied for a job and got a interview the interview went great she said she liked me so i got a 2nd interview and he said i was well qualified for the job. So i called abotu a week later and asked if they have made any decistions and they said yes we licke dyou laot but there was 2 other people that had a little bti better qualifications so were goign to put your resume at the top of the list so if aother postion opens up. Well about 2 weeks passed another postion opend up advered in the local paper so i gave them a call and said i see you have more postions opend in the paper she said w ehavitn hired anyone yet and my resume is still on file so 3 days pass and i get a denil of employment letter in the mail and i was like humm thats wierd. So next i decide to go threw a temp technition staffing agency that does alot of contract work. first job was alrihgt but jsut temp then the temp service calls me and says hey we go somthig for you that will last 4 days so i said sure 2 dasy after that i find out it is for the same place that i was denied employment threw . well the staffign agecy has to send my information over to that palce to pretty much check and see if they want me to work there temporarley and the same person that denied me employment said it was okay so im now working at the place i wanted to but threw a temp service for 4 days and i jsut look in the paper today and what do you know that same compny jsut put a add in the paper for hiring full time people for the same thing that im doing for the temp agiensy i dotn understand how they will not hire me directly if a postion is open like the paper says but they will agree to let me work there on contract terms for the same job with less the tainning. Im doing the job now i have the skills why am i denied employmetn permant when they are hiring for full time people this is nto making any scicne to me . i have also been infomred that the compny has never hired any contract worked on be

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (109) / No (66) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

77 months ago

You rarely get feedback on an interview unless you went through an agency and the agency gets feedback from the interviewer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

OhSoConfused in Sealy, Texas

69 months ago

I'm not even getting calls for interviews for jobs I am qualified for and have verifiable experience at. These are manufacturing jobs and the job postings, which are constantly on the state employment site as well as on Craigslist state they are ea. hiring 100 to 50 positions.

I have applied directly with the company and through 2 different temp agencies. The company states they give no follow-up info. but if they're interested, they'll call. The temp agencies say they have to look at their incoming faxes and emails, then they take my number, promise a call back, but nothing ever comes.

My next step will be to apply again at the two temp agencies but change the format of my resume and use a shorter, MALE, version of my first name and see if they call me back then. I'm tempted to video tape or page capture it. I seriously think they're not calling me because I'm a woman and the field is predominantly male. However, I have experience in predominately male fields and in hard, manual labor. I think they see my FEMALE name at the top of the page and toss my verifiable experience, listed further down, in the trash!

Like at least one other posting here says, I have NEVER had this much trouble getting a job. Never!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Hvac Pro in Las Vegas, Nevada

68 months ago

tjtjtj in Brooklyn, New York said: Employers just seem to play games with us. I have been on interviews and never hear back. Seems like they are trying to find the cheapest person with a college degree and experience.

they wouldnt do that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Thom in Mountain View, California

64 months ago

Update. I recieved a call last Firday inviting me to interview on Saturday. Once I got to the appointment, I was directed to an office and asked to have a seat. A few minutes later a young lady walked in and searched for my application. The intervoew went well or so it appeared. In the middle of it she mentioned they weren't hiring for that location yet the day before they were. She said she would hold my application if anything opened up. Yesterday I decided to visit in person. The manager was training a new employee. The new employee was in the waiting room waiting to interview after me. Interesting that the job was not available yet the next applicant was hired. The lady interviewing told me she felt I was very in tune with the job description, then meantioneshe was 6 years old when I left the Navy. Intimiated to hire an older worker? I think so. The gift of unemployment that keeps giving. Over qualified and potential employers/managers afraid to bring someone on board with more knowledge than themselves. Too bad they don't seem bright enough to think they might learn some things from those if us with actual experience. Again, best of luck to those searching. I want to ad that I also sent a very nice letter to a couple of editors to local newspapers aimed at owners of companies to look into their human resource departments policies and hiring practices. I'm sure any owner would be intersted to know their people passed on someone with 20+ yrs for someone with little to no experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

I apologize for typo's. I really do know how to spell. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Erin Myers in Reseda, California

64 months ago

lrose said: I understand exactly. I interviewed at one place and the "kid" looks at my resume and says 19 years on one job?!?
I dont know anyone who spent 19 yrs on one job. Well maybe my grandmother. She worked for Sears for like 100 years. I knew from that point on it was useless to even stay thru the testing. I did though. My thoughts were correct. I never got hired.

Mmmm....or how about MY experience at In n Out. The first thing the Manager said was this: "You know, when my kids saw you walk thru the door, they came to me and said, 'Are you sure about her, Boss?' "

I should've gotten up right then and there and made a beeline home to call his Corporate Office. Instead, I endured the Interview. Turns out in passing he was 30 (but looked young) all he did in the interview after that point, was to ask me how to solve Issues as a Manager (he was green). I chuckled at him and said, "You were trained by what....the In n Out University or Hamburger University or whatever and you weren't "taught" Conflict Resolution? Oh, dear..."

I never got a call back of course, and like I said, I should've called Corporate on him....lucky fool that I didn't!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lrose

64 months ago

I had another interview yesterday. Lousy pay but insurance and sick time after 90 days and fairly close. No nights or weekends so it had its points. During the interview she said you know if I hire you you will be the oldest person in the dept. Are you ok with that? I knew then it was a wrap. They will contact me by Friday if I'm hired.

Good luck in your efforts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

funinsun in Longwood, Florida

64 months ago

Do you have/can you get a security clearance? Seen the same thing in retail, unless you find a company that still does commission, don't bother. Retail nowadays is about standing at a register, signing up people for credit cards/ extra services...
Or the company will have some half ass dangle a carrot in front of you management training program, that they'll expect you to drive all over the ends of the earth.
I had an interview at one of the companies you mentioned, and the DM was a complete type-A, toolbag who's sole sales experience was 1 1/2 years of ripping off consumers selling a third rate cell phone plan, at a time when everyone and their brother was buying cell phones. This is the type of groupthink you'll run into with retail nowadays. It doesn't matter if you could sell snow to eskimos, or fake rubber dog crap to the chinese, what these people want to hear is that you'll drive around covering your stores, work 100 hours, and get paid peanuts...
It's true, some younger employees are intimidated by older workers. Who cares?! What do the shoppers think? They are the ones spending the money!!! In fact most shoppers would rather trust a kindly old gentleman, than some zit faced, spike haired teenager, who can't figure out how to make change at a cash register.(uuh, what's this... Don't you have a Credit Card?)....
I wish you luck, keep up the good fight

Thom in Fremont, California said: Age discrimination is real. I have been out of work since 04/09 and literally applied to over 60 places. I am looking at the security industry and plan on working from the bottom up. I also know it's not an industry to get into if you want to make "big dollars". I am also a US Navy veteran. I did some checking/follow-up on several companies that told me 'not what we're looking for'. They advertise 0-1 year experience. I have offered to work any shift. "Not what we're looking for." I know age discrimination is present on some ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

funinsun in Longwood, Florida

64 months ago

Thom in Fremont, California said: I notice that as well. It seems that if you're not relying on food stamps or other ssistance programs your worth drops dramatically. I understand they get benefits by hiring people on these programs but it hardly relfects on skills, or other qualifications. Best of luck in your search.

Check the box, and tell 'em it was on accident after the interview.... Or go down to the Welfare office(whatever it's called) fill out the paperwork, and get foodstamps..
What you do with the food stamps is your business; hand em out to bums, spend them at trader joe's, whatever... Once you can prove you received them, when you come to the point on the online application where it asks whether you or your family members have recived any assistance, whether you are a veteran, whether you are displaced Katrina victim, etc.... Check Yes!

If your responses increase, then we'll know what's really going on with these HR departments! Please let us know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brookester

63 months ago

I have been looking for work for nearly ten months now. I am halfway done with my Master's degree and I have 5 years of management experience. I've applied for 300 plus jobs, some online and some in person. I have attended 5 career fairs. I have had maybe 10 interviews and 0 offers. I am stumped! I am applying to both managment level and hourly jobs. There must be something that I am qualified to do!! This is getting ridiculous.

Of the few hourly jobs I've interviewed for the "Hiring Manager" turned out to have a H.S. diploma or maybe an Associates degree (I found out from linkedin and one of the store managers actually divulged this information to me for some unknown reason)

I am all for working your way up but shouldn't education count for something?? I graduated college 5 years ago so it's unrealistic that I would have 10+ years of experience. I have done everything I physically can to be attractive to employers. Why am I being edged out of the market?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lyn

63 months ago

Sandhya in Edinburgh, United Kingdom said: I have some questions to ask yoou people,i had one interview past 1 week,but i didnt get any feedback,so i want to know if a person is not selected in the interview does he get the feedback.I am looking for a job in uk since 3 months but i am not getting any interview calls,i dont know why this is happening.So i decided to do temp work,may i know what should i do to get it?Can any one reply me with a solution.

I have been looking for work for 4 months in the US. No one gets back to you. Ever. If I get a busniess card from the h.r. person and it has an email the next day I send an email thanking them for the opportunity to interview and tell them I am looking forward to the possibility of working for their company. My theory is besides being polite it keeps your name in their mind and shows you have follow up skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lyn

63 months ago

Desertwater in Houston, Texas said: Ok. I filled out a application for a vet clinic. I am at the young age of eighteen years. I am to start to school next week so I was looking for a college job. I applied at a vet clinic and went to a working interview. I got paid that day. So they say they want to put me on a two week trial period. It is paid but I will not be employed unless the two week trial period goes well. Is this legal?

Of course it is and be glad they are giving u a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lyn

63 months ago

Brookester said: I have been looking for work for nearly ten months now. I am halfway done with my Master's degree and I have 5 years of management experience. I've applied for 300 plus jobs, some online and some in person. I have attended 5 career fairs. I have had maybe 10 interviews and 0 offers. I am stumped! I am applying to both managment level and hourly jobs. There must be something that I am qualified to do!! This is getting ridiculous.

Of the few hourly jobs I've interviewed for the "Hiring Manager" turned out to have a H.S. diploma or maybe an Associates degree (I found out from linkedin and one of the store managers actually divulged this information to me for some unknown reason)

I am all for working your way up but shouldn't education count for something?? I graduated college 5 years ago so it's unrealistic that I would have 10+ years of experience. I have done everything I physically can to be attractive to employers. Why am I being edged out of the market?!

Try the gov't sector or careersusa.com. Gov't positions seem to appreciate the education. Both my son and his fiancee got gov't jobs. She has her masters and he is working on his phd. The private sector could care less if they had their ged. Plus remember the first job may be lower pay but your foot is in the door and you have first try at any future openings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Larry Clevenger in Mount Holly, New Jersey

63 months ago

Well for starters they want someone that is not asking for alot of money or higher pay, because they can hire a person with less experience with less pay.

Its sucks, because i have been in the construction business for 18years with a education and i got laid off from atownship job after 12 years. I got laid off last June and still cant find a job. I have sent out about 300 resume and only had i interview and they told me that because i have not experience with DOT that they cannot hirer me. It suck. Hang in then there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lyn

63 months ago

I just got a JOB with payment for working for someone else. After 4 months of looking I am extremely greatful for the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CC in Henderson, Nevada

63 months ago

indoorplant in London, United Kingdom said: I have been to at least 10 job interviews since April/2009, but not getting any job offer. I begin to wonder if I am hopeless in job interviews... most feedbacks are that they need someone with more experience but some jobs I went for are well below my level of experience. Any suggestions?
Frankly, I am losing hope and feel this is the darkest period of my life as I have never had much trouble of finding a job in the past.

I can relate with what your going through. I also feel the same way hopeless. I think all my education student loans and studing for what. I have been in the medical field for over 20 years and I have gone to interviews. I have gone to over 15 interviews and they all says the same thing I will call you back. I wait and then call them back NOTHING the job has been given to someone else. I never been with out a job and certainly not for this long 3 month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Two weeks ago, a market research company that I had worked at back in the 1980's was hiring for market research interviewers. I not only emailed my resume, but I spoke to the girl who was hiring. She sid that out of fairness to everyone, she had to go through all the applicants first, but she said that she'd call me. Well after sending her a few follow-up emails and a phone calls, she emailed me back. She said that I wasn't chosen for the position. I emailed her back and thanked her for contacting me stating that I was a previous employee with extensive experience in market research.

I now will never apply to that company again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lyn

63 months ago

jill in Rowlett, Texas said: Tanya! All caps is considered virtual yelling. Not only that, its difficult to read. Please disengage the caps lock.

Bob in Iowa, please use punctuation. Its difficult to read your run on sentences (btw, I used to live near Marion, nice to see someone from IA)

I've been looking for employment for 18 months now. I graduated with a 4.0 from University in 2007 (in my 30's, changing careers) I have no unemployment benefits and have had a total of 4 interviews in that space of time. 2 were testing situations and 2 jobs I didn't get for whatever reason (same company).

I've tried temp agencies and can't get anything on there either. I'm down to my last $300, and am now desperate. I've had my resume looked at several times, I change my resume and cover letters to suit each job, but still have no idea why I can't even get an interview. Its extremely frustrating.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Try not being so bossy and snotty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Brookester

63 months ago

I've actually read in several publications that you should send ONE follow up thank you note and then DO NOT contact the job again. Believe it or not they are going to pick the person that they think best fits the position but if you come off as desperate it makes them think twice about hiring you. Speaking as a former recruiter I have to agree. I did not like getting repeat phone calls and e-mails after the interview. I had to go over the interview with the actual hiring manager and set up a second interview and those things take time. Be patient. It's hard and sometimes you wont get selected regardless but pestering the interviewer is not helping the situation. Also in the interview only tell them things about you that are relevant to the position you are applying for...seriously. I can't tell you how many people offered up personal information in their interviews. Dress one step above the job you are interviewing for and be knowledgeable about the organization. Good luck to you all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

candice in Hamden, Connecticut

62 months ago

battman in Roseville, California said: Ok! Where do I start? Why you and other people think they can’t get a job.
Excuses:
1) I am the wrong gender!
2) I am too old or not old enough!
3) I do not have the right qualifications!

This may be in many cases the truth. Why not? Only if you are stuck on the idea that the world is out to get you! Every person in the world has the ability to do anything they want.
Why limited yourself to lame excuses? Why not just OPEN YOUR EYES?!!! The old ways are gone and the new ways are reality. To those who have the SKILLS, you are in need of a
Very important life skill. I know! Psychobabble bull $$$$ right? Wrong! If you are being denied a job you are qualified to do, and you think that the three EXCUSES are the reason, you will be looking for a long time. Every time you apply, the age thing is getting in the way of your potential! The gender thing is getting in the way of your potential! YOU ARE GETTING IN THE WAY OF GETTING A JOB!!!!!!!! Stop looking for the jobs that you think needs a mommy or daddy! Employers are not looking for Generals; they are looking for good little soldiers!!! The skill needed in today’s economy is, “OPEN MINDED “, “A LITTLE CRAZY! “ If you think I am wrong, this means you are too old, or you are too refined. You think you are perfect. You are a fool!!!!!

Best of luck!!!????

Obviously you ARE employed and are not job searching. There are limited opportunities and if you don't fit the requirements to a 'T' you don't get a job.. It's an employers market ... AGE does matter... I'm on my husband's health insurance (thank goodness) and have been battling a chronic disease, in remission w/meds, for the past 20 years... I NEVER told any of my previous employers of my condition for fear that they'd lay me off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

@Battman
You have nothing of value to add but insults. Age discrimination is real. And for you to provide insults to those of us out of work just shows you are immature and have no clue to the real world. Unemployment is the highest it's ever been. A large part of it is that employers are facing new government mandates, including the new health care "reform".
Also, it is a fact that younger managers are intimidated by people with more experience and feel they would lose control if they went the smart way by hiring those with more experience. If you deny this you are really without a clue to life and the way things work.

Stop with your foolish rants because it only uncovers your ignorance. This thread doesn't need your trolling to show your internet rage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

battman in Roseville, California

62 months ago

Tom,

I do thank you for giving me a challenge. Unfortunately, most people do find my writings to be too forward. You think that I am TROLLING and you very well could be right. However, I am not just talking to hear my own words. No matter what I say or how I may place my words, you have the right to pass my RANTS and go on to other more important subjects that pertain to you plight. Yet, you did not. I again thank you for, at least, responding to my post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

To those who think I am a TROLLER:

I am 35 and have four kids. I have been working since I was 10. I have 68 different skills. I have had 56 different jobs. I have been unemployed for 4 years. I TROLL you not. When I was 15, I was hired on as shop help. I worked as hard as those who were much older than me and was able to move forward without any problems. However, I was called into the office and my boss wanted to talk. I thought I was doing fine and I was. I was laid off at that time for not being old enough. I needed to be 18 to work there. I did not lie on my app. In addition, he did not ask for my age. I was fired for being too young. I was not angry. I was sad. Even then, I new not to ask or take a job that may not fit ME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

candice in Hamden, Connecticut said: Obviously you ARE employed and are not job searching. There are limited opportunities and if you don't fit the requirements to a 'T' you don't get a job.. It's an employers market ... AGE does matter... I'm on my husband's health insurance (thank goodness) and have been battling a chronic disease, in remission w/meds, for the past 20 years... I NEVER told any of my previous employers of my condition for fear that they'd lay me off.

I have been umemployed for 4 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lennyrose in Manila, Philippines

62 months ago

hello guys,i think this forums give me alot of ideas about the job that im looking for.aside from human resources job im planning to apply in the online sales telemarker,ive got interviewed,pass it,but then up to now im still waiting for the results and wondering when will i get the results or if the job is still available,when i talk to the one proccessing my application she told me im on the shortlist but they are doing the profiling still so i just have to wait,its already been 1 month but i havent heard anyting from them,im getting frustrated,the job that they are offering is really good,maybe then i have to look for other option while waiting huh?an one of you here got any suggestion where to go to find online job or home base call center?thak you:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

db been there and definitely did it in Lagrangeville, New York

62 months ago

Erin at CCS, could not have said it better!
You are RIGHT ON THE MONEY!

I have considered many distinct career paths in my life (collections, veterinary assistant, stage hand, solar energy installer, middle school teacher). In each field, using the techniques you outlined, along with other 'opportunity' search methods, I've been EMPLOYED and PAID in 6 MONTHS or LESS.

Note: before the 'drama and tears', 'mature' flaming I've read, and 'you don't know reality and squat' replies, kindly consider these facts:
- These changes occured ALWAYS when I was the SOLE provider for my family, and sole provider for medical benefits.
- during one time having a severe life threatening medical issue in the family
- raising a new child
- and at one time TWO mortgages to pay.
In short, I have not been to the valley, I've DUG the GRAND CANYON myself! Got the scars to prove it. NOT bragging or self grandisment, need to show to you I MAY know what pain is involved in life, and putting food on the table, and possibly, a little bit more than some.
'Opportunity' searching means FOCUS. (Hint: Learned the very HARD way if you are looking for a 'job' that is the START of a problem!)
Best said about opportunity:
'Business opportunities are like buses, there's always another one coming.' Richard Branson
Add luck: 'Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.' Seneca Roman Philosopher
So, the question boils down to: Are you PREPARED? ALWAYS for the bus! And prepared to knock their socks off? To make them 'bleed' to want you, and be able to BACK IT UP with FACTS, and REFERENCES.

I've been fortunate, and truly BLESSED, to have very SENIOR mentors teach me how to do just that in all interviews and searches.

Good advice, Eric.
One note: Been looking for a job using techniques I've been taught, and within two weeks of ACTIVE 'opportunity' searching, had 3 interviews, and 2 more lined ,up. 1 at 2x last salary.
I may be crazy, but I'm no freaking fool.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

62 months ago

RobInStLouis in Waterloo, Illinois said: I agree. And I think they are also truly missing out by not **training** the right person for a job. Sure, training is expensive; but they don't seem to compare it to the opportunity cost of holding out for the right candidate for months at a time. Good interviews start in a favorable light, with you being the best candidate in their eyes for the job in question. Unfortunately their opinion of you usually declines from there unless YOU push all the right buttons.

Employers do truly seem like they are missing out on some really nice people. Then after a while nice people sit here too long including me, are looking at potential employers that are claiming to be hiring now, and we are like, "You know. I don't think I want to really work for you. You're being deceptive when you say you want people to work for you now, but you can't make a decision that you want a quality person like me, now? That's disrespectful of me, not to mention my time."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Inspector in Missouri

62 months ago

My thoughts, of late, have been.. employers really need to lighten up on the interview process. Many are just too formal for words.

What needs to happen is make it more of a conversation. Forget the "canned" questions. What's your weakness ? What's your strength ? How much did you make in your job 15 years ago ? GAWD !! Get some originality, for crying out loud.

Social media is the rage. Have potential clients interact with current employees and management on their website chat room or their facebook page or any number of them. Watch how they interact, and go from there.

Interviews don't have to be like a panel of judges on American idol or a panel of justices like the Supreme Court. They can be and should be RELAXED !

Some may argue that it is unprofessional, but who is to judge ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

seriana in Lancaster, Texas

61 months ago

Hi I feel the pain of the majority of the posters on this board, I can say honestly that I somehow lost the desire to try, although, I have the ability and desire to do an exceptional job. To be honest, I've registered with several companies, temporary agencies and made a concerted effort to at least create an dialogue, but to no avail, I can not seem to receive any feedback from the employment agencies.(which I desire not name) I personally did my part,took an on-line assessment and was interviewed by a recruiter and was greeted amicable and scored significantly higher on their skill assessment test. I am just surprised because everyone tells me there are administrative support positions and mortgage processing positions available in the Dallas area. Somehow, I have came to the true reality that my poor credit score is the demise of my job candidacy and have knocked me out as a viable candidacy of employment.

At present, I am very open and willing to commute to another state to have a fresh start, as I have somewhat lost the desire to try in the state in which I reside. I am doing my very best to stay optimistic that things will somehow change for the best, however time is somewhat limited on my side. The idea of establishing an business has entertain my mind ,but this vision is to be put on hold due to lack of capital to sustain this vision.

Cobi in Mount Vernon, New York

61 months ago

CC in Henderson, Nevada said: I agree with your point. You are so right about giving work visa and Americans don't have jobs or food for thier family. I love being an American and proud to be an American but we have to stop some where to take care of our own first.

And why is the U.S. Government holding "Lotteries" all over the world where the winner gets to come live here. Do we really need this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

steven in Springfield, Missouri

60 months ago

I have been un-employed and seriously looking for work for about 18 months also. I am 53, but I have over 27 years of work experience behind me, and I always apply for positions that are somewhat related to that experience, and also the lower level jobs (even janitor and the like). I have a BA degree which I feel was a waste. I feel that not only am I being discriminated against by my age, but also by my swiftly declining credit rating, which is directly related to my un-employment and having no income. I know they look at your credit rating, but should they be allowed to unless your are in serious consideration for the job, and should they not also give you the opportunity to explain your situation? I probably know the answer to that- they do not have to let you explain-but it is most definitely not fair. They should realize that someone who is in such a position would appreciate and try to do his best to keep his job at all costs. It seems so hopeless at times.

Inspector in Missouri

60 months ago

steven in Springfield, Missouri said: I have been un-employed and seriously looking for work for about 18 months also. I am 53, but I have over 27 years of work experience behind me, and I always apply for positions that are somewhat related to that experience, and also the lower level jobs (even janitor and the like). I have a BA degree which I feel was a waste. I feel that not only am I being discriminated against by my age, but also by my swiftly declining credit rating, which is directly related to my un-employment and having no income. I know they look at your credit rating, but should they be allowed to unless your are in serious consideration for the job, and should they not also give you the opportunity to explain your situation? I probably know the answer to that- they do not have to let you explain-but it is most definitely not fair. They should realize that someone who is in such a position would appreciate and try to do his best to keep his job at all costs. It seems so hopeless at times.

I'm in your area ,too. I have heard from different people, that (in Springfield anyway), many people make their own appointments, unless you're a physician. Even lawyers are making their own, and to complicate matters, they'll only make an appointment to talk, if they know you. Networking works, however, my experience has been with people, is they want to make money for their jobs. Some "know" people, but at the same time, have no idea, if their company is hiring or not.

The credit rating issue is pure BS, in my opinion, and Missouri and 18 or 19 other states are trying to outlaw it thru the state legislatures.

Furthermore, many medical bills are on credit reports, and I have always thought they should not be.

Best of luck on your job search. let me know, if I may be able to help. The above
has been my experience. It's a vicious circle, sometimes.

60 months ago

Thank you for your comment. I live in the Joplin area, actually, but I am sure that your experiences in the Springfield area are very similar. It is so frustrating, and people you know think you are not really trying, which is the complete opposite of the truth. If I get a job I never want to have to type a resume or complete an application again, I have done it countless times. The interviews are few and far between. I want a job I can hang onto for a long time to come, and I don't want to jump from job to job. Thanks again for commenting.

jazmin in Deer Park, Texas

59 months ago

I really think that companies are not really hiring..cause I been searching online and when there is a position online. I call they don't know which job am talking obout or they say that position is not longer available

59 months ago

I don't know what's gonna happen ...there is a lot of people in the same situation and just a few jobs available seems like everyone is getting the same run around...the reality is that there is no jobs...cause I when to an interview it was with a temp agency...the job was doing collection for attorney office and did not get hired but I got surprise when six moths after they wanted me to go for interview for the same job...I told them that I was previously interview for the same position and never hired....the truth is that never hired anyone for that position and they will not hired no one...they are just playing with people....I being going countless interviews had sent so many resumes by email and in person and does not matter what I will still not get a job ....and guess what I being doing temp jobs but not a real job yet....my last temp job lasted 10 month and they my assigment without giving me a reason...am still looking after I got laid off from my real job 20 months a go

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

jazmin in Deer Park, Texas said: I don't know what's gonna happen ...there is a lot of people in the same situation and just a few jobs available seems like everyone is getting the same run around...the reality is that there is no jobs...cause I when to an interview it was with a temp agency...the job was doing collection for attorney office and did not get hired but I got surprise when six moths after they wanted me to go for interview for the same job...I told them that I was previously interview for the same position and never hired....the truth is that never hired anyone for that position and they will not hired no one...they are just playing with people....I being going countless interviews had sent so many resumes by email and in person and does not matter what I will still not get a job ....and guess what I being doing temp jobs but not a real job yet....my last temp job lasted 10 month and they my assigment without giving me a reason...am still looking after I got laid off from my real job 20 months a go

I had the same thing happen to me a great number of times- twice just in the last few weeks. I applied for and actually went in for the first round of interviews of two jobs, and was told the infamous line " we will call you within the next week to let you know" . Well, after not hearing in about a week and a half, I assumed I was being turned down. The following weekend I saw both jobs (at completely different companies) advertised once again, and so the next week I called both places and asked if my application was still being considered, and I was told that "Oh yes, we still have your application, and will put it on the top of the pile". Well, after pursuing it a bit more, I was given another interview at both places, only, just a few days later, to be sent a "Sorry- but good luck in your job search" e-mail from each personnel office. Very frustrating!

59 months ago

Seems like things are getting worse instead of getting better...there is one job for 1000 people so the posibilities are very little..I being doing temp jobs since I got laid off the first one was for one week only , the 2nd was 2 weeks and the last assigment was 10 months for a mortgage company and they ended my assigment without reason.employers are really taking advantage of the situation and they are really making people expend money and time going to this enterviews when they are not even hiring sometimes..at first I really though that something was wrong with me that I could not get a job but now I realized that there is a lot of people in the same situation..it is horrible...I will just pray so thing can get better for everybody..no wonder a lot of people is loosing their houses and I feel very sorry for them

59 months ago

When you to this enterviews employers really act like u will be hired and you never hear from them anymore it is shame how they play with people in need of a job..of course they don't care if we get a job or not, they do have a job and they don't care about others... I just don't see the reason why they interview 30 people for one job only when there is only one job available and in some cases not even one job available...employers are really playing games when all this people is in need of a job to survive cause bills are still coming regardless of u having a job or not ...it is very frustrating and very depressing how employers are taking advantage of this entire situation..employers are just wasting our time and money when we need to start working As soon as possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

jazmin in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

I hope u all find a job...good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorian in Miami, Florida

59 months ago

I have been on six interviews since 6/1/2010 and the same thing, we will call you soon for a second interview.

jazmin in Conroe, Texas

59 months ago

it is horrible same run around for everyone...I dont know how we are going to survive..I don't understand how the government can help another contries and there is also money for fighting in irak but the people here in usa is having so much dificulties to survive ...it has never been easy to find a good job but now is even worse....sometimes employers are just interviewing without needing someone because they keep having the same job over and over online or newspapers sounds like a joke....but don't give up ..don't go to job fairs there is 2000 people for one job...you may want to go in person ....after I got laid off I found a job 10 months after with a temp agency and after being there 9 moths I got laid off again...but that's ok I will keep doing temp jobs until I get I permanent job....temp agencies are not good but at least is something

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Ceasars Bowels in Buffalo, New York said: It's the sign of the times with the recession and this administrations and it's constituates. So don't get discouraged know matter how many interviews and viewings you attend. Hold your head up high and champaigne wishes and caviar dreams. You have to take action, the books and tapes alone will not work. You gotta work it, not jerk it!!!

I am working at it, and for me it is not caviar and champagne dreams but having my water and gas turned back on dreams. I apply for everything- not as picky as I was when I started this horrific journey.

Inspector in Missouri

59 months ago

Steven in SGF-

What is your background ? I'm in your neck of the woods, too.
My background is in travel, tourism and amrketing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Inspector in Missouri

59 months ago

steven in Springfield, Missouri said: I had the same thing happen to me a great number of times- twice just in the last few weeks. I applied for and actually went in for the first round of interviews of two jobs, and was told the infamous line " we will call you within the next week to let you know" . Well, after not hearing in about a week and a half, I assumed I was being turned down. The following weekend I saw both jobs (at completely different companies) advertised once again, and so the next week I called both places and asked if my application was still being considered, and I was told that "Oh yes, we still have your application, and will put it on the top of the pile". Well, after pursuing it a bit more, I was given another interview at both places, only, just a few days later, to be sent a "Sorry- but good luck in your job search" e-mail from each personnel office. Very frustrating!

I was recommended for a job, I talked to the people, filled out the application and it was put "on top of the pile" and never heard a word. Followed up a couple of times, but they were "still deciding". This was almost a year ago.
The people who recommended me were upset with me, because I didn't "follow up" even though I did, and the folks who recommended me assured me it was a sure thing (that I would be hired). Never heard a word from the company, and the people who recommended me haven't spoken to me since. Don't know what to make of it. Strange all around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Inspector in Missouri said: Steven in SGF-

What is your background ? I'm in your neck of the woods, too.
My background is in travel, tourism and amrketing.

I have a B.A. in History, but my work background is mostly shipping/receiving, retail and customer service(this neck of the woods there is not much else out there, and also production work and phone-center work, which I do have a temporary job in starting the first of September ( no help to me right now).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

You are entitled to your opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jazmin in Galveston, Texas

59 months ago

Just be positive and don't give up , one day you will find the job you want...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jay in Spring Hill, Florida

59 months ago

I`ve been unemployed since early June,2010. Still looking for work and have had no luck. From what I`ve gathered there are not enough jobs in the Tampa area. It`s been extremely discouraging interviewing for positions which I knowingly qualify and later told theyre moving on with someone who better suits their qualifications. I have over fifthteen years of supervisory call center experience in the banking Industry. At this point I am willing to take an entry level position but have had no luck whatsover. I even took a drastic paycut at my last employer just to get back on payroll. I regret leaving New York for this reason. I was well compensated there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jazmin in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

QUOTE who="jay in Spring Hill, Florida"]I`ve been unemployed since early June,2010. Still looking for work and have had no luck. From what I`ve gathered there are not enough jobs in the Tampa area. It`s been extremely discouraging interviewing for positions which I knowingly qualify and later told theyre moving on with someone who better suits their qualifications. I have over fifthteen years of supervisory call center experience in the banking Industry. At this point I am willing to take an entry level position but have had no luck whatsover. I even took a drastic paycut at my last employer just to get back on payroll. I regret leaving New York for this reason. I was well compensated there.

it is being hard for everyone to get a job but my advice would be to continue looking until you find something maybe not the perfect job for you but at least a job that can provide some income until you find something better. I being doing temp jobs since I got laid off 2 years a go and I know we get hope less sometimes but I know that out of countless rejections there is always an oportunity remember when a door is closed there may be something coming up for you...there is always opportunities not that many ,people just have to find them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.