Why am i not getting hired on

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 479)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Rebekah in New York, New York

53 months ago

Spalma in Harrison, New York said: Some reasons you are not getting hired by a company can be:

Interviews can be very tricky. A company is always sizing up everyone who walks in the door, from the receptionist to the hiring manager. Personal bias is strongly related to who a company will hire. If you appear in a bow tie, no matter how many skills you've acquired, you could get refused, because you are not a good fit for their organization. Nothing against bow ties, but employers see that look as outdated. If you are older than 40, an employer will see this when you appear for the interview, Too old for many employers. If you are overweight, smell of smoke, have a yellow discoloration of your teeth, you can be refused a job.

Wow I did not know that applying for a job was the equivalent to a fashion show. Maybe bow ties are a bit outdated but who has the right to tell you what you can wear? Especially if they aren't PAYING you to purchase newer, more fashionable clothing for said interview. Sure many people are 40 plus. That's because EVERYONE gets older. It doesn't mean they can't do the job. These people doing the hiring are a bit too picky. I wonder what they will do when they all receive their pink slips and end up living on the streets. What goes around always comes back around again. If you place an ad displaying the intention of hiring someone then do so. Don't play with people who are suffering and never dismiss someone because you don't like their look or style. We are not here to visually please you. We are here to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

scc in Springfield, Missouri

53 months ago

You said it so perfectly, Rebekah. There is only so much you can do to prepare for an interview if you are broke and can barely afford todo laundry, much less buy new clothes for an interview. Well said. The HR person should be forced to walk a mile in our shoes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

53 months ago

{{{Wow I did not know that applying for a job was the equivalent to a fashion show. Maybe bow ties are a bit outdated but who has the right to tell you what you can wear? Especially if they aren't PAYING you to purchase newer, more fashionable clothing for said interview. Sure many people are 40 plus. That's because EVERYONE gets older. It doesn't mean they can't do the job. These people doing the hiring are a bit too picky. I wonder what they will do when they all receive their pink slips and end up living on the streets. What goes around always comes back around again. If you place an ad displaying the intention of hiring someone then do so. Don't play with people who are suffering and never dismiss someone because you don't like their look or style. We are not here to visually please you. We are here to work|||

I agree with this. The problem is that in Boston & NYC these 'screening interviews' are conducted by these sheltered 20 somethings just out of school who were taught to judge people by the labels they wear & the car that they drive and have this 'I got mine attitude'.

If could afford to buy a $1,000 suit or wear $300 jeans on 'casual fridays' I wouldn't need to work. Too bad this younger generation has always had their 'adult expenses' taken care of by someone else

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Jay in Spring Hill, Florida said: The United States is on the brink of sliding down to a Third World country, as it struggles with massive debts, rising unemployment and a deteriorating economy.

The BIGGEST problem is what I said above, the 'I got mine attitude' that everyone seems to have.. People who remained employed during the recession only believe what Fox News & CNBC say and feel that because they remained employed, their employer will take care of them until retirement and that anyone who is unemployed is "A loser & a Tard"

RobInStLouis in Waterloo, Illinois

53 months ago

The hardest part of it all is the nagging question I ask myself, "Why is this happening to ME?" 90% of the rest of the working population have jobs, most of them serious, secure, well-paying careers. What have I done to deserve this? I have to have done something! Or made a bad choice. Or put too much faith in a past employer and stayed on too long. What did I do??

scc in Springfield, Missouri

53 months ago

What makes it worse are the family and friends who don't believe you are trying hard enough. My sister keeps hounding me with places I should apply at= which I tell her that I have already tried, multiple times. My family is starting to shun me, and my friends are much less visible. Guess they are fearful I may ask them for help- which is so not my style, even at this time in my life. All I have is my faith to hold onto, and even that is difficult in these circumstances.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in New York, New York

53 months ago

Why is it that family, the very people who are supposed to have your back when times get tough, run away and hide from you or worse, barrage you with insults, threats and/or insults when you simply are not being hired? Where is Karma when you need it?

53 months ago

scc in Springfield, Missouri said: You said it so perfectly, Rebekah. There is only so much you can do to prepare for an interview if you are broke and can barely afford todo laundry, much less buy new clothes for an interview. Well said. The HR person should be forced to walk a mile in our shoes!

Scc, it's the snotty attitudes and disregard that has me constantly questioning HOW did someone like this get hired? If I walked into an interview like that I would have the door shut in my face. There are times when you don't have the carfare to go anywhere yet some will tell you to borrow it from neighbors. What they are really saying without actually saying it is "beg for it". Heartlessness lives on in 2010. I don't see it leaving in 2011. Its a shame.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I agree with this. The problem is that in Boston & NYC these 'screening interviews' are conducted by these sheltered 20 somethings just out of school who were taught to judge people by the labels they wear & the car that they drive and have this 'I got mine attitude'.

If could afford to buy a $1,000 suit or wear $300 jeans on 'casual fridays' I wouldn't need to work. Too bad this younger generation has always had their 'adult expenses' taken care of by someone else

We were all young once but I doubt if age has anything to do with their attitudes. Its their upbringing, how they were raised. I was taught to be polite with everyone no matter how ill bred they were. There are people in their 40s and 50s who are rude, nasty, and make you want to kick them. If we, the older generation are supposed to be the guiding force having a terrible disposition teaches the younger generation that its okay to walk around as if you own the place without disregard to the feelings of others. (Sorry I'm ranting).

If you place an ad for help and help comes why make it difficult for the person applying? Leave your attitudes outside on the curb oh great hiring teams. One day you will be facing that same curb on your last walk from work to home.

Happy Holidays (hopefully) everyone <3

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Marie said: I agree 100%. Age discrimination is real. I have been looking for a job actively for 6 months. I have been called to few interviews.
One interview the interviewer tells me,"wow, 19 years at one job! I don't know anyone who has been on a job that long. My grandmother worked at Sears for like 50 years". I had every qualification they requested. Never heard from them again.
I don't have gray hair, go to interviews in a proper suit,dress shoes, make up etc. Never called back.

I feel you Marie. Okay I have a bit of gray, more along the line of silver. I think it looks nice yet I am a victim of my own hand. I love dying my hair. I have no problem with age but everyone else seems to. When you don't look the age you state on your resume the questioning begins. Mind you interviews are supposed to be about the job you may be doing and your experience, not your hair or clothing. Its as if they are deliberately wasting your time. If you advertise for something and you reject people who are qualified it sends out a message. Possibly the company isn't as well structured as they would like everyone to think they are. If I had a business I would hire young people, of course. They are fresh out of school, eager to work. However hiring someone who has kept a job for over 10 or 20 years would be my personal first choice. Why? Because it shows they are reliable and have the experience needed for the tasks. I hope your situation changes for the better. No one should have to deal with this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Anonymous in New York, New York said: Why is it that family, the very people who are supposed to have your back when times get tough, run away and hide from you or worse, barrage you with insults, threats and/or insults when you simply are not being hired? Where is Karma when you need it?

Oh,its coming I assure you.

53 months ago

I pray that you all find what you are looking for in the line of employment. Just keep your skills fresh and don't give up. Don't let anyone insinuate that you can't do this or that because of age, race, height, weight, etc. You CAN do anything you set your mind to.

I wish you all a blessed holiday whatever your faith. <3

53 months ago

Larry Clevenger in Mount Holly, New Jersey said: Well for starters they want someone that is not asking for alot of money or higher pay, because they can hire a person with less experience with less pay.

Its sucks, because i have been in the construction business for 18years with a education and i got laid off from atownship job after 12 years. I got laid off last June and still cant find a job. I have sent out about 300 resume and only had i interview and they told me that because i have not experience with DOT that they cannot hirer me. It suck. Hang in then there.

Here's the thing, you hire someone for LESS than what they should be making that will be exactly the kind of work you will receive. Less. Who wants less?
I don't want less, you don't want less. When you're paid well you deliver excellence. When you are paid less you deliver...less. These companies want less? I don't think I would want to work for any company that did not want excellence.

Julia in New York, New York

53 months ago

ChristyBa in Albany, Georgia said: BAYAREA in Fremont, California said: "you guys all live in remote way out there, boonies type states. You need to move to a metropolitan area, like the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA.. or Southern California, Los Angeles/Orange County.. this is where there are jobs and they pay much more. There are a lot more jobs out here."

This is a very broad statement to make. I spent almost two years in the suburbs of San Francisco when my husband was offered a management position there. We had both been laid off and we relocated across the country for him to take this. I did not have a job lined up there but was not too worried - I thought that I could always fall back on administrative or temp work. How wrong I was - I couldn't get hired at Starbucks! I have a college degree and business experience, but no one particularly cared. I was an outsider, and San Francisco is far more provincial than most may think. I tried everything - coaching, public job help, job clubs, volunteering, you name it. We had to leave as we could not afford to live on his income alone.

As for Santa Clara and Silicon Valley, it is becoming a ghost town. Foreclosures are everywhere and it is virtually impossible to get hired by the companies there if you are over 30. This is not a hard and fast rule of course, but age discrimination is rampant and blatant there. My advice would be to not even consider moving there unless you are being offered a position with an iron-clad contract. The cost of living is incredibly expensive (highest in the nation), a car is necessary to do anything (forget about the "fantastic" public transportation there - it is dangerous, run down and expensive and transferring between transportation systems is inconvenient or impossible).

I would agree that it is easier to find a job in a metropolitan area than a rural one, but from my experience the best place to look for work is in the suburbs of major cities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

IndoorPlant in London, United Kingdom

53 months ago

I have been reading this forum for almost a year. When I found this forum, I was at point of very upset by job hunting. Now, I have a permanent job with a lot of perspectives. People leave comments about their devastating experience of not being able to find a job. So did I. I did not give up at the end and I will never give up. I would like to say to everyone here, please keep trying, one day you will be able to get hired! My husband's uncle had been unemployed in the past 15 years, and he got hired just a few months ago. So if he can do it, everyone on earth can do it!

Vince in Berkeley, California

51 months ago

TANYA LABRINY in Springfield, Virginia said: I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS HOW YOU USUALLY WRITE OR IF YOU WERE JUST DISTRESSED AT THE TIME, BUT JUDGING FROM YOUR COMMENT ABOVE, PERHAPS YOU HAVE TOO MANY SPELLING MISTAKES IN YOUR RESUME. PERHAPS YOU USE TOO MANY RUN-ON SENTENCES IN YOUR WRITING OR SPEAKING. SINCE YOU'RE AT THE COMPANY NOW I WOULD SUGGEST ASKING YOUR IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR WHAT YOU NEED TO DO OR IMPROVE TO GET THE JOB PERMANENTLY.

AND I DONT KNOW HOW YOU USUALLY WRITE BUT CAPS LOCK MAKES ME VERY ANNNGRY!!! NOT TO MENTION ITS RUDEE loll

Gave Up in New York, New York

51 months ago

At least you guys are getting interviews. I have applied to over 200 jobs this past month and have not heard back from anyone. Not a phone call, not an email, nothing.
This is frustrating because I have bills to pay, rent and nothing is being paid. If these people/companies need help and place ads in the newspapers and online WHY are they not hiring anyone? They are far too picky, rude and honestly I don't see how any of these interviewers keep their jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vicque fassinger in Cleveland, Ohio

51 months ago

I never recommend applying to over 200 jobs in one month! That is a lot of information for you to process and organize! What if all 200+ companies called you?

How are you applying to these 200+ jobs per month? Are you sending out the exact same resume and cover letter to all of them?

Quality sometimes ought to surpass quantity.

Each cover letter and resume you send out to a specific job must look and read as if YOU are THEE IDEAL candidate for THAT job; otherwise, the reader/potential employer will immediately know you are simply sending out your resumes - as is - to everyone and anyone. Just like you don't want to receive a "form" letter - don't send out a "form" resume. Tweak the resume and the cover letter so that they show how your experiences, skills, interests, and/or education FIT RIGHT IN SYNC with what they are looking for.

Once you start getting phone calls and responses (and you will if you resume stands out from the rest of the hundreds of people who are sending out the same resume to all the different positions) then go on EVERY interview.

Post Script: I will be more than happy to look at your resume and cover letter and give you my professional suggestions - for free - if you would like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

vicque fassinger in Cleveland, Ohio said: I never recommend applying to over 200 jobs in one month! That is a lot of information for you to process and organize! What if all 200+ companies called you?

How are you applying to these 200+ jobs per month? Are you sending out the exact same resume and cover letter to all of them?

Each cover letter and resume you send out to a specific job must look and read as if YOU are THEE IDEAL candidate for THAT job; otherwise, the reader/potential employer will immediately know you are simply sending out your resumes - as is - to everyone and anyone. Just like you don't want to receive a "form" letter - don't send out a "form" resume. Tweak the resume and the cover letter so that they show how your experiences, skills, interests, and/or education FIT RIGHT IN SYNC with what they are looking for.

Once you start getting phone calls and responses (and you will if you resume stands out from the rest of the hundreds of people who are sending out the same resume to all the different positions) then go on EVERY interview.

Post Script: I will be more than happy to look at your resume and cover letter and give you my professional suggestions - for free - if you would like.

Many of those job ads are really recruiters.. Also, many companies have a link to a third party database called Taleo. What do you suggest about this?? I have hardly ever gotten a response to my Resume using these databases especially those where you have to paste a text copy of your resume in.

51 months ago

vicque fassinger in Cleveland, Ohio said: I never recommend applying to over 200 jobs in one month! That is a lot of information for you to process and organize! What if all 200+ companies called you?

Either you have the skills or you don't. Many ads are requiring a specific skill set in a specific industry with specific software. If you don't meet the objective criteria you won't get called.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

vicque fassinger in Cleveland, Ohio

51 months ago

Nick ~ are you the same person who posted about applying for 200+ jobs?

When I am hired to search for jobs for my clients, I hardly ever respond to jobs placed by recruiters. If I don't know the actual name of a company and can't send my clients' info to them personally, I just don't waste my time. While I know some recruiters have real jobs to offer - I also know that many recruiters don't take/have the time necessary to look at each candidate's qualifications.

There are lots of creative ways to look for and apply to jobs - one way is to think about companies where YOU would LOVE to work - companies that offer products or services where you have an interest or experience or skills or education. Go to their websites - read about them - apply to those companies - EVEN IF they are not formally advertising. If fishing is your passion and you know all sorts of things about the sport/activity - explore manufacturers of fishing products, bait shops, companies that offer fishing guides, etc. (Just one example of countless).

Of course, you have to first ask yourself - how far are you willing to go to secure that ideal job? Will you drive more than 50 minutes each way? Will you relocate? Will you work weekends?

Don't just wait for the opportunities to be posted - make your own opportunities.

Can you teach someone what you know? To make some money while pursuing full-time employment, can you offer lessons or classes of some sort at your home or a community center? Are you great at woodworking? Do you know how to fix cars? Are you awesome at doing hair?

Ask yourself - what am I great at doing? what do I love to do? with what gift am I blessed? Start from there and that will eventually lead you to where it is you are supposed to be in life(vs. sitting on a fence and waiting for the wind to blow you this way or that.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beverly Ryder in Kelowna, British Columbia

51 months ago

techy in Derby, Connecticut said: It really makes me laugh to hear older people complaining. Step down already and give the younger people a chance at a fair life. You raised your families and had your haydays.

I've been trying for about 15 months to get into this one company in my field. There's a guy in his 70's still working there part-time. He's made his money 30 years ago. Sure, it must be wonderful when you're working for the social benefits.

I do realize some older folks have to keep working just to survive, but to those who do it just to keep busy, consider the teenager who wants a car or people with children.

In the end, we're all just slaves for the wealthy. 10 years ago it was a shock to have been laid off from the Tech industry. The shock came when I learned the US government was issuing 200,000 H1-B work visa's so employers could import foreign workers mostly for high tech jobs. Sure hundreds of thousand of US citizens where put out of work and replaced by others.

God Bless america, as long as you're not american.

I agree that older people who do not need the income should not be taking job just to keep busy, etc. They could benefit society more by doing volunteer work instead, leaving the positions open to people who really need them.

As for hiring from out of country for those "high tech jobs" it shows total disloyalty to the US. Instead, to lower unemployment the government should be giving incentives to companies who hire their own people instead of abroad. Why can't the foreigners just stay put and obtain employment in their own country instead of hogging our jobs when there are so few to go around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Beverly Ryder in Kelowna, British Columbia said: I agree that older people who do not need the income should not be taking job just to keep busy, etc. They could benefit society more by doing volunteer work instead, leaving the positions open to people who really need them.

Younger people aren't having trouble finding jobs especially attractive young females (who seem to feel threatened by and have this hatred toward anyone they perceive as older than them). Most younger interviewers (the ones who look like they graduated in the last few years) are more concerned about 'what you do for fun outside of work' and looking for someone who will 'fit in' with the group outside of work as well. But then again what do you expect from a generation raised on reality TV, who got their every material need handed to them, and were taught to judge others by the clothing labels they wear & the car they drive

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Who are you to say that older people who, in your ignorant, narrow judgment, should not be taking a job just to keep busy?? Is age discrimination a problem in Canada? Maybe not, though I doubt it. In this country, anyone, young or old, should not be stopped from working if they can. Period. There was a gentleman here who ran his well known western wear company until he died at age 107. He probably didn't need the money. But to your way of thinking, you undoubtedly would have forced this fine gentleman to retire.

Comments like yours are disgusting.

I thought people were nicer, and less hostile & self absorbed up there. Apparently not (if the poster from BC is any indication).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vince in Berkeley, California

51 months ago

I find it funny that you attacked one generalization with another by claiming all of Canada has an age discrimination problem. it is her personal opinion, and your argument just sparked an entirely different issue for you two to argue about.

The girl you replied to was talking about older people who are well off do not need the money. Like say an old woman retired at age 70, with a salary of 90k a year, and she decides after 2 years of retirement to get a job at jack in the box. Now, she completely has a right to do so. Noone has the right to stop her. With competition in this economy, her measly $8 an hour does little for her, so long as she has money saved for retirement. Whereas a student, going to the same employer, working at $8, with little to no background in work gets to
A. Expand her resume
B. Pay for bills like housing, food,etc

The girl's earlier post was a generalization, but statistically speaking its an opinion of her's based on the harsh truth:

an 18 year old usually has less money than an 80 year old.

However like you said, in America we welcome competition, so the position is open for anyone, regardless of their income. But there may be an underlying responsibilty for the well off, older person to pass the spatula to the naive young kid, just like the young kid is supposed to give up his seat to the elderly woman on the bus (which is rare to see, but I do it). your thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Beverly Ryder in Kelowna, British Columbia said: I agree that older people who do not need the income should not be taking job just to keep busy, etc. They could benefit society more by doing volunteer work instead, leaving the positions open to people who really need them.

Well as an older person I feel that it should be up to me if I work or not. I keep busy by working, not volunteering (although I already do volunteer when I can).

Volunteering doesn't pay bills or rent. What makes you think I don't need the work? Do you get by on money falling from the sky? I sure don't. Well all in all it's their loss. I have the skills and not to toot my own horn but I am a phenomenal employee. Guess some are just satisfied with what they have rather than a decent upgrade.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

All the ingredients to make a company fall to the ground. I would want someone who knows what they are doing rather than having a pretty, dressed up fool. As for females, why would anyone feel threatened by another female younger or older? Maybe because their skills are more honed. Just because you're under 30 doesn't mean that you are God. I also would hate to work with someone with a terrible attitude. Just do your work. You aren't hired to party and this isn't a television show. Get the work done and make your employer happy. Save the after work activities to just that, after work.

51 months ago

Its just another way to show disrespect to anyone who isn't like them. The only good side to it is one day they'll look in the mirror and see the very thing they hate. We need older people in the work place. They know more than we do, and who's going to cover for you when you mess up? Learn to think before you speak/type. Not only are you judged by your outer appearance, you are judged on what you say and how you treat others. You can fake your way through life but sooner or later its you on the unemployment line wondering how did I get here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beverly Ryder in Kelowna, British Columbia

51 months ago

Of course everyone, regardless of age, is entitled to work. All I was trying to suggest is that, in today's economy, it would be nice if someone who didn't need the money could do volunteer work to socialize and keep busy so that there are more openings for young people. It is entirely up to the person. By the way, I am an older unemployed person who is widowed and needs the income, if I did not I would volunteer only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grace in Toronto, Ontario

50 months ago

Kappa21 in Toronto, Ontario said: I got to a lot of job interviews. I answer the question good...but its a like me or hate me situation. Many employers tend to interview 10-20 people. In the back of my head I always think that there is someone exactly like me, possibly a student who went to University with me. But the difference between him and me is that he has more job experience than I do. They would typically refuse to hire someone with no experience. I seriously regret staying at school for so long. I did a double major in Business. Other than Finance and Accounting, i know everything.. Companies wont budge. They want experience and instead of gaining experience i gained an education. I thought that would help me. Guess it didnt.
I also hate going to job interviews out of nowhere and then the interviewee asks me how am i going to commute to their office since its so far. Well, I made it to todays interview and i got a good record on being promt, so why would that have to do with anything?

I also feel its my last name cause i dont have a typical English last name.

I am also in Toronto and spent six of the nine to ten months on EI thinking I was going to New York. Well, I am not, and now I am screwed. I am looking every day for a job, I have been looking for about three weeks. I am doing nothing but stressing, because I have gotten one call back.

I even applied to a company today that - turns out - I'd applied to four years ago, and never got any calls. Well, it's going to be different this time, I'm going to email them after a week and ensure they got my resume. I want to show that I'm interested in the jobs I am applying for, but a lot of them ask for "no phone calls", and don't even list a number!

It's so impersonal, I don't understand how people even get jobs anymore.

ITguyNeedsAjob in Tampa, Florida

50 months ago

I have been in the IT field for the last ten years or so...previous to that I was in retail for about twenty years. I am turning the big 50 this next month and have been unemployed now for seven months. I have been looking since the day I was let go from my last position. I have applied for well over 300 positions from help desk to systems engineer and have been on about twenty or so interviews.

The biggest thing that gets me down is that once the interview is done, there is no feedback from the employer so that you can improve your chances for the next opportunity. Too old? Not the right skills? References not responding? I'll never know, I guess. You would think I should be used to it by now with all the rejections but I still feel like I am kicked in the crotch every time I receive a "thank you but we have decided to go in a different direction/with someone more qualified/another candidate who better fits our needs/etc."

I found this forum and now feel somewhat better to see that I am not the only one going through this B.S. on a daily basis. I hope that each one of you eventually find a job and your way back into the working world...I guess all we can do is keep trying!

Elly John in Kingston, Jamaica

50 months ago

ITguyNeedsAjob in Tampa, Florida said: I have been in the IT field for the last ten years or so...previous to that I was in retail for about twenty years. I am turning the big 50 this next month and have been unemployed now for seven months. I have been looking since the day I was let go from my last position. I have applied for well over 300 positions from help desk to systems engineer and have been on about twenty or so interviews.

The biggest thing that gets me down is that once the interview is done, there is no feedback from the employer so that you can improve your chances for the next opportunity. Too old? Not the right skills? References not responding? I'll never know, I guess. You would think I should be used to it by now with all the rejections but I still feel like I am kicked in the crotch every time I receive a "thank you but we have decided to go in a different direction/with someone more qualified/another candidate who better fits our needs/etc."

I found this forum and now feel somewhat better to see that I am not the only one going through this B.S. on a daily basis. I hope that each one of you eventually find a job and your way back into the working world...I guess all we can do is keep trying!

You cannot give up and i certainly know how you feel. I lost my job in Jan 2010 and have been searching even before i left. I have gone on interviews after interviews and they rearly ever call or write to say you didnt get the job......in my call to follow up i have heard all kinds of responses, you are over qualified for this position, you dont have the right skills set, we dont think you will stay in the position and we need etc.......we cant afford you (B.S.) .....we jsut have to keep at it...DONT GIVE UP

50 months ago

Elly John in Kingston, Jamaica said: You cannot give up and i certainly know how you feel. I lost my job in Jan 2010 and have been searching even before i left. I have gone on interviews after interviews and they rearly ever call or write to say you didnt get the job......in my call to follow up i have heard all kinds of responses, you are over qualified for this position, you dont have the right skills set, we dont think you will stay in the position and we need etc.......we cant afford you (B.S.) .....we jsut have to keep at it...DONT GIVE UP

Worse is when a recruiter submits (supposedly) your Resume and you never hear back (not from the recruiter nor company). Even short term temp jobs now require Resumes to be reviewed by the client + an interview. Yesterday, I interviewed with 4 people for 2.5 hours for a $19 an temp job which ended with 'we will make a decision by the end of the week'.
Also, what is with HR & Hiring Managers saying they will contact you on or by a specific date to set up an in person interview (after the phone interview) and they never contact you?

FlyDeltaJets in New York, New York

50 months ago

If you can't find a job, then start your own business and make your own rules. Put your enterprising skills to work for you. You have them hidden deep inside and you just need to tap into them. Be your own boss and you will be so much happier. Promise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Smith in Schaumburg, Illinois

50 months ago

Starting your own business is not always that easy. You take a hugh risk and not knowing if it will fail or not. Unless you have a skill that not many others have you will have plenty of competetion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Worse is when a recruiter submits (supposedly) your Resume and you never hear back (not from the recruiter nor company). Even short term temp jobs now require Resumes to be reviewed by the client + an interview. Yesterday, I interviewed with 4 people for 2.5 hours for a $19 an temp job which ended with 'we will make a decision by the end of the week'.
Also, what is with HR & Hiring Managers saying they will contact you on or by a specific date to set up an in person interview (after the phone interview) and they never contact you?

Nick, I believe many of the jobs are advertised just to satisfy internal procedures to ensure they have not violated any company policy. I know of companies that advertise vacancies when they very well know they already have somone in line for the job. The other side of the coin is not advertising the job and just get your friend to come in and interview.......
Someone in another forum asked with is the purpose of getting these degrees??? I am really wondering why the heck did i waste time and money if i cannot gain employment.
I have to be my own one of these days......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Smith in Schaumburg, Illinois said: Starting your own business is not always that easy. You take a hugh risk and not knowing if it will fail or not. Unless you have a skill that not many others have you will have plenty of competetion.

Smith one day i hope to start my own business. I know it is not easy and there is a high failure rate for start-ups, but you have to weigh the risks and be willing to take them. Remember the higher the risk the greater the rewards. In having your own business you will determine your destiny.
As far as i know any line of business you go into there will be competition, whether it is a legal or an illegal entity, online or a brick building. As they say we are sometimes our worst enemies.....i think when we overcome difficulties it builds our character and makes us more determined to want to succeed.

ping123 in Phoenix, Arizona

50 months ago

If you want to start business, you should try to minimize your overhead such as renting places, hiring people, etc. The easiest part is to do it from home, set up a website and provide service. I could think of few profession such as IT, ebay.

You can find your first few customers from your contacts and work through referrals. My wife did this as a piano teacher. It's most likely not enough to support your living in the beginning. Over time, however, should be pretty significant. it won't hurt to start. Anything is infinitely better than nothing.

MKay in Helena, Alabama

49 months ago

I just read your post, and I completely understand your frustration. I am female and work in a field that is mostly male, in fact, I am usually the only female on a job site. I am an Occupational Safety and Health Director. I work in construction, manufacturing, and pipe lines. I have a B.S. in Occupational Safety and health and have 49 professional licenses and certifications. I apply for job after job and most of the time cannot even get an interview. I believe it is because I am female. There have been jobs I have applied for and had a male friend apply for them, the men I had apply had limited to no safety experience, and the actually got calls to inquire about their resumes, I never got so much as a sorry email. Another time I DID change my name on my resume and got a call from a company I had previously applied to as myself. I am sick to death of it. I am more than qualified, but because I am a woman, I cant get the job, or even an interview. There was one contract position I was hired for, I was the only female in the group, the only one with a degree in safety, and I was treated like a secratary, I never got to do the job I was hired for. I was later told I was hired becxause the HR department told the manager that he HAD to hire a woman because female employees were complaining that there were no female managers. That job was a joke, they made sure I knew I wasn't really wanted in the group.

Raquel in Chicago, Illinois

49 months ago

I feel the same way. I am planning to obtain a Master of Health Administration degree on May 8, 2011. I have been applying to not only health care positions but administrative positions. I have been told by employers that they have chosen "more qualified candidates". I feel like you this is the darkest period of my life. I have worked extremely hard to get this degree and I do not have the pride and excitement of a normal graduate. I feel like I have made a major mistake getting this degree and I am stressed with having to figure out how to repay my student loans, bills, car note and car insurance. I don't get it I am not arrogant about having to work in health care but now I feel like I am not qualified to even receive an administrative assistant position.

Until I applied to an employment opportunity at Rush Medical Center and although I was passed along due to lack of experience. I don't know if it was the Human Resource person, or the department manager(I believe it was a department manager) must have felt my spirit because I received the normal computer generated rejection letter but she personally addressed me in the later and said "We have decided to pursue another candidate, this does not mean that there is something wrong with you or something that you did wrong it is just a competitive market". I live in Chicago, and that small messages lifted my spirits to know that I am qualified to work in the field; it is just that this economy has made it difficult to gain employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kasandra in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

49 months ago

Erin Myers in Reseda, California said: I chuckled at him and said, "You were trained by what....the In n Out University or Hamburger University or whatever and you weren't "taught" Conflict Resolution? Oh, dear..."

I never got a call back of course, and like I said, I should've called Corporate on him....lucky fool that I didn't!

I probably would look to avoid insulting the interviewer regardless if they have less experience than you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kasandra in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

49 months ago

davindut in Lagrangeville, New York said: May I ask what your education was in, and the opportunity you are looking for? I've considered different career paths in my life (collections, veterinary assistant, middle school teacher and now I'm in IT). Each one I got a job in six months or less. I could help, if you wish, in your search strategies.

I would like to hear what you have to say. I am graduating from UW-Madison School of Business in May with a BBA in Management and Human Resources and Risk Management and Insurance. I have been working for over 10 years and put myself through college (which leaves me at the disadvantage that I couldn't afford to take internships.) My experience mostly includes working in the food service industry as a server and a bartender. I worked as a night auditor at a college dorm for two years (and laid off), and call center work processing life insurance claims. I was promoted to top tier within two years. I left the company at 2.5 years because I could no longer work full time and attend the classes I needed for my majors. (I tried working part-time for the company but wasn't making ends meet so I returned to bartending.) Either way the company closed down 3 months after I quit and relocated to the south for cheaper labor.

I am looking for an opportunity within management or human resource functions and have also been applying for insurance underwriting/ analyst positions as this is what I am most passionate about. I keep getting to the third round of most of my interviews and then dropped without so much of an explanation why, even though they were so excited to have me in the first place. What can I do to close the deal?!

Newyorker in Springfield, Massachusetts

49 months ago

I had an interview a few weeks ago and was told by the hiring manager that that I would be a perfect fit for the position and that HR will be in touch in a week. HR calls me the next day and says that the decision will be made the following day and that I will hear back in a few days. Two weeks go by and I get an email from the manager saying that they have not forgotten about me and that these things take time as they are working through details and to be patient. Job is removed from the website. What should I read into this? Is this a good sign or just part of what candidates are told? Keep in mind, I did not email te person, they came out to me with an update!

Raquel in Chicago, Illinois

49 months ago

Companies are using the economy to their advantage. If HR contacted you and the position has been removed then it could mean that the company is researching your compensation based on a median non-experienced rate. Trust me when I say this but I am a current last semester graduate student in Health Administration interning in Human Resources and if you do not have the exact experience located within the job description, then you are not getting an interview. So the company is interested but they are trying to figure out how to compensate you and save on compensation as well. Also a note to all I have applied to employment opportunities on Simply-Hired.com and I am getting responses back from employers that the positions I applied for were filled even though the website has them listed as new. So I wonder if that is why job seekers are not getting returned calls. Good Luck to everyone.

Jay in Spring Hill, Florida

48 months ago

I read not too long ago that In most cases the jobs do not even exist. Staffing agencies try to recruit as many candidates as they can so they can get a tax break at the end of the year knowing fully well the jobs are unavailable. In my past experience staffing agencies have been totally unhelpful. I was unemployed for a year and dealt with six different staffing agencies.They had me come down in order to fill out paperwork,take an assessment and later sent home. I was instructed to follow up periodically.That turned out to be unsuccessful! After calling every other day I was told not to call anymore they`d be calling me. Guess what, they never did. It`s a waste of time, money, and gas ! I had better luck on my own. I was finally hired after a year. To everyone blogiing on this topic, keep your chin up there will be someone on the other side willing to open the door !

Designer in San Diego, California

47 months ago

Wow, interesting forum to say the least... appreciate a lot of the different insights, experiences because it certainly puts my mind a little at east knowing that this interviewing process isn't just me.

To the first poster though, Bob - I hope you have taken some of the prior comments about spell check and grammar to heart. Despite all of your complaints, I had a very difficult time reading your post and regardless if your keyboard was broken or not, no company or HR dept. would put up with excuses to read such a thing.

And to the one poster who said that s/he's been dealing with age discrimination and applying to 60 jobs since '09... hey, there was a time in fall 2008 (when the economy hit the financial meltdown) and I was out of work for 3 months.. I sent out over 200 resumes and only got 3 interviews during that time (eventually did get employed and was until Dec. '10) . It was insane... 60 resumes within a year span is not enough. I hear other people going through the same thing and sometimes it's a numbers/timing game. But I didn't realize that overqualification was a common trend, so maybe that's why I didn't get the call.

I came on to find out why I'm not getting called back or any responses after 4 recent interviews... which really ticked me off. Seeing some of the response here - saying they are rude, that it's a reflection of what it would be to work for the company - is comforting. Because I'm thinking, if they are so rude to NOT write or notify back after spending so much energy (in all cases I had to drive from San Diego to LA for these companies), then how will they treat you when sh#t hits the fan at the organization? One I had to wait an hour before being seen. I didn't think it was the case, but maybe it is.

Sharon Perry in Connecticut

47 months ago

Ditto to all of the above.
Interviews; I have had some.
Rude Interviewers; yes those too.
Recruiters; yes and have seen a few of these
No call back; yep
Over 10 years experience in Customer Service
Over 10 years experience in Shipping and Receiving
Administrative experience
Computer Program Knowledge; MS Office, Arial Software's Email Marketing Director, Dydacomp,s Mail Order Manager, Cute's html editor and ftp
Over 50 years old
Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doria in New York, New York

46 months ago

Its been 5 years. Since my last job I signed up with an agency here in NYC. They have all of my information however I have not heard back from them. I called once and was rudely told that nothing was available. Now for five years they've had nothing available? Not just this particular agency but ALL of them?

Why are we unemployed constantly lied to, spoken down to and made to feel as if we
are bothering the people we apply with? Get off your high horses and HELP us.
That is what you get paid to do isn't it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

tjtjtj in Brooklyn, New York said: Employers just seem to play games with us. I have been on interviews and never hear back. Seems like they are trying to find the cheapest person with a college degree and experience.

They get our info and we keep replying to fake ads.

46 months ago

No...I do not wish to have someone look over my resume. Chances are if you don't like it now you won't like it when 'someone' redoes it.

No...I do not wish to sign up for your products. You are supposed to pay me, not me paying you.

No...I do not believe you when you are rude to me and outwardly showing me the door.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.