Why am i not getting hired on

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 530)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

jazmin in Galveston, Texas

52 months ago

Just be positive and don't give up , one day you will find the job you want...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jay in Spring Hill, Florida

52 months ago

I`ve been unemployed since early June,2010. Still looking for work and have had no luck. From what I`ve gathered there are not enough jobs in the Tampa area. It`s been extremely discouraging interviewing for positions which I knowingly qualify and later told theyre moving on with someone who better suits their qualifications. I have over fifthteen years of supervisory call center experience in the banking Industry. At this point I am willing to take an entry level position but have had no luck whatsover. I even took a drastic paycut at my last employer just to get back on payroll. I regret leaving New York for this reason. I was well compensated there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jazmin in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

QUOTE who="jay in Spring Hill, Florida"]I`ve been unemployed since early June,2010. Still looking for work and have had no luck. From what I`ve gathered there are not enough jobs in the Tampa area. It`s been extremely discouraging interviewing for positions which I knowingly qualify and later told theyre moving on with someone who better suits their qualifications. I have over fifthteen years of supervisory call center experience in the banking Industry. At this point I am willing to take an entry level position but have had no luck whatsover. I even took a drastic paycut at my last employer just to get back on payroll. I regret leaving New York for this reason. I was well compensated there.

it is being hard for everyone to get a job but my advice would be to continue looking until you find something maybe not the perfect job for you but at least a job that can provide some income until you find something better. I being doing temp jobs since I got laid off 2 years a go and I know we get hope less sometimes but I know that out of countless rejections there is always an oportunity remember when a door is closed there may be something coming up for you...there is always opportunities not that many ,people just have to find them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

scc in Springfield, Missouri

52 months ago

These derogatory comments are not called for and show your complete and utter ignorance, to put it mildly. You, my friend, do not know what you are talking about. You should not even be lurking around on a jobs board, if you have the luxury to criticize those of us who are in this position. The person in charge should be monitoring this board to keep "people" like yourself off of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

steven in Springfield, Missouri

52 months ago

Why are you lurking on these boards --just to show others how "smart" you are? You are being reported as we speak-- I am no longer giving your childish responses any attention. Just remember - karma is a real killer, so lets see if how you handle it when you are having problems. From your key-boarding it looks like you may need to brush up on your skills a bit, buddy -- and your mouth could use a bit of the old Lifebouy, judging by the language you attempt to use.

jazmin in Rye, Texas

52 months ago

Donna is that another scam?.....be careful you all when applying for jobs online....I filled out a lot of applications online and have not had no interviews at at but I being receiving a lot of calls from career places telling me that I was looking to continue education and I said " am looking for a permanent job not a college ...if I don't have a job why would I be looking to be in debt I already have a degree....that people in those career center don't know how to find ways to get money from people that don't have a job......just remember there is a lot of scams out there...a lot of people is taking advantage of the situation...there is some jobs posted just to get your personal information

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jazmin in Rye, Texas

52 months ago

You all must be very careful with all those online jobs... they are all scams if they ask for a credit card or your checking account info that is red flag scam...real jobs don't ask for credit card or checking account info . Why would I be paying to get a job

Anon in Los Angeles, California

52 months ago

Hvac Pro in Las Vegas, Nevada said: they wouldnt do that?

Its just not enough to have a college degree, a post-grad degree and a master's, oh no...we must be superheroes on top of that...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Inspector in Missouri

52 months ago

Anon in Los Angeles, California said: Its just not enough to have a college degree, a post-grad degree and a master's, oh no...we must be superheroes on top of that...

I kid you not, someone asked me what my GPA was in high schol and college. Let's see I've been out of high school 30 years and college almost 25..

Din't make any difference then, why should it now ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

jazmin in Marshall, Texas

52 months ago

Good for you donna....but no thank you

Anonymous in Daphne, Alabama

52 months ago

grace in Rogers, Arkansas said: 5 Ways Companies Mistreat Job Seekers
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
provided by Anonymous

In the matter of mistreating job seekers, I have a good story to discuss. I went to an interview to Revlon in North Carolina. I had to drive 5 states from Florida to NC. I arrived to the interview and was given an agenda that lasted all day long. After the interview I drove back home but had to stay in a hotel overnight due to the long interview. I was not reimburse for travel, meals, rental of car, etc. It was an eye-opening experience. To add salt to the injury, I went to another interview by a larger company and was not reimbursed either. I was told I was going to be reimbursed by their travel service but I am still waiting for this reimbursement after one month and a half. This is mistreatment of an unemployed individual (one year unemployed). I am also very upset with companies that offer a third face to face interview and want me to add a credit card for travel expenses with the excuse that they are going to reimburse me. This is getting old and I hope that this is not the new hiring practice of American companies. What do you think of this abuse? This has happened twice and I lost an interview because I refuse to put down my own payment information for future "reimbursement" from a corporation. I am very reluctant to pay for anything since I have been burned twice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jazmin in Bush, Louisiana

51 months ago

I know is being so dificult to a get a job and like you said employers don't care since they have a job ..in this economy situation things keep getting worse , no one is hiring directly ,they are giving the run around to job seekers and they also keep interviewing 20 people when there is only one opening its crazy and not human ..employers are really taking advantage of the situation but what goes around comes around one day they would be in our position...and another thing that I had notice is that when people call to check status on application they get so Agravated and I Don't think that they would appreciate someone to be rude at them if they would be looking for a job...employers should be glad they have a job but it looks like they are just there because they need to work but they hate their job...I got laid off 2 months a go from my temporary job and I been applying averywhere and I been in aabout 10 interviews and no results after all.. I being spending in gas, food and clothing to go to those interviews but it seens like instead of me getting a job I would spend my last savings on gas and food....but anyways am still positive and hopefully something should come up so soon...the only think that I can advice is do not give up, keep trying because out of 1000 mean people there is someone nice that will be interested in having someone like u in their business....I know there is a lot of people getting hopeless and depress and a lot of people had died for the same situation but we must be strong and positive....

Karla in Branson, Missouri

51 months ago

I am getting the impression too that I am just wasting gas coming in for interviews. Some employers just have the secretary set up the appointment and ask you to come in without really talking to you on the phone. The last interview the manager left me an email and told me to call the office, and when I called he was not in, but had left instructions to set up my interview for a Monday afternoon. They don't even talk to you, just come in and when you come in you realize that you don't really want to work for this lazy jerk anyway. Well he never called just like all the others, I think they must call in people like cattle. Maybe if the candidate is hot looking, blond, blue eyes, petite she may get the job on the spot. Anyone else will never hear from them again. Maybe they are not interested in that college degree after all.

jazmin in Huffman, Texas

51 months ago

Employers believe that due to the economy and millions of people looking for jobs that they have the right to be rude and be cruel to job hunters when is so simple if they are not hiring they should let people know in a nice way.....but the worse thing is that when i call to verify If there is openings most of the companies said yes but once I fill out the application and complete all the process to be hire I don't hear from them anymore and when I call to verify status they get so agravated saying that if I don't hear from them is because they don't have anything available and not only that sometimes they say "please don't call we will call you if we need you" but my concern is why they make you come to their office acting like they are really hiring when they are not really hiring ..they just want to give people a hard time , they just want employers seekers to spend in gas, food, clothing, parking without making any money ......it is depressing and frustrating how they play with people I just hope that after 4 years with this goverment we can get someone with good feelings not selfish cause things keep getting worse, I don't see any change with this president...things changed for him but not for the people in this country

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Spalma in Harrison, New York

51 months ago

Some reasons you are not getting hired by a company can be:

Interviews can be very tricky. A company is always sizing up everyone who walks in the door, from the receptionist to the hiring manager. Personal bias is strongly related to who a company will hire. If you appear in a bow tie, no matter how many skills you've acquired, you could get refused, because you are not a good fit for their organization. Nothing against bow ties, but employers see that look as outdated. If you are older than 40, an employer will see this when you appear for the interview, Too old for many employers. If you are overweight, smell of smoke, have a yellow discoloration of your teeth, you can be refused a job. A company may tell you that you are an excellent match for their position and have all the necessary skills and credentials, but you will not be hired. They appear nice out of guilt, or for fear of a potential law suit if they seem to discriminate, but nevertheless it happens all the time. If your are unemployed, regardless of the lousy economy, this may raise question marks for the interviwer. It's always been easier to find a job when you already have a job. If any of you references are luke warm and are reluctant to answer any questions, or refuse to comment for whatever reason, this is taken as a negative. Yes, discrimination and bias is, and has always been present in the work place. This is the reason why Affirmative action, and strict federal laws and guideleines were enacted by the federal government. This is why many fully qualified individuals are not being hired. In my opinion, the perfect job is around the corner when you least expect it. Job offers arrive when you least expect them. According to one recruiter I spoke to, Many employers are having a very tough time recruiting good candidates, some have poor skill sets, cannot communicate, bad attitudes, criminal records and bad work histories. If we work hard and keep faith, that job becomes reality,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Spring Hill, Florida

51 months ago

Very well said. it gets very frustrating interviewing for positions that you are highly qualied for and later get turned away. I am starting to believe one of the many factors could be my age (over forty)and the fact fact I`ve been unemployed for a year. Interviewers are not believing people when they explain themselves! They need to look around and stop being so shallow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jazmin in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

Maybe is discrimination or no jobs at all , it can be a lot of situations. I am 25 and everytime I get hired I see diferent races: black,white,hispanic,indian,asian and big,medium or skinny ...cause there is always diferent type of people diferent races, diferent sizes and diferent ages: 18,20,40,45,50.......but there is nothing wrong with age,body shape,color or race....people comes in diferents types ................for employers there is always an excuse regardless of how we look.....before this economy problems I use to see all kind of people getting hired....but on todays days there is always an excuse to not hired ...if you are good looking they would not hire you because you are good looking...and if are overweight they would not hire you cause you are overweight...if you are hispanic they would not hired you because you are hispanic....If you are young they would not hire you cause you are too young and if you are over 40 they would not hired you cause you are too old.....I went to an interview for nanny and someone did not hired me cause I was too young the lady said she needed someone on her 40s..like I was saying there is always an excuse. employers are not even perfect , no one is perfect and we all need a job to survive.. most of the jobs posted online don't even exist they are just advertising

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

S_Palma in Harrison, New York

51 months ago

It's true jazmin, the bad economy only makes it worse and employers feel they can be very selective. Unfortunately, I don't think companies really care about creating new jobs or helping the economy. Though many companies are getting numerous tax breaks and incentives, they are not using these savings to help the employment situation. The main incentive today is, self interest and profit only. This is the main reason for our current state of affairs and the terrible economy. CEO and Executive salaries have easily passed the one billion dollar figure in certain companies. Yet, companies can't show enough profits to hire anymore. Even though we are in a recession, companies continue to remain very top heavy.

inspector in Springfield, Missouri

51 months ago

S_Palma in Harrison, New York said: It's true jazmin, the bad economy only makes it worse and employers feel they can be very selective. Unfortunately, I don't think companies really care about creating new jobs or helping the economy. Though many companies are getting numerous tax breaks and incentives, they are not using these savings to help the employment situation. The main incentive today is, self interest and profit only. This is the main reason for our current state of affairs and the terrible economy. CEO and Executive salaries have easily passed the one billion dollar figure in certain companies. Yet, companies can't show enough profits to hire anymore. Even though we are in a recession, companies continue to remain very top heavy.

Employed people don't get it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jazmin in Freeport, Texas

51 months ago

You are right s_palma employers are being so selfish they just Care about their profit and them self , they don't care about the the rest of the people and that's why people is very frustrated about not getting a job...is nothing wrong with job hunters but there is somethig wrong with the job market cause it doesn't matter how much experience or how many bachelor degrees you have, you are not the perfect one for the job and no one will be perfect because that job doesn't even exist most of the times and that's why everyone is getting hopeless and it seems like companies are laying off instead of hiring...on this days employers are just a bunch of excuses and no one is hiring directly cause they don't want to spend on benefits.

ChristyBa in Albany, Georgia

51 months ago

funinsun in Longwood, Florida said: Or go down to the Welfare office(whatever it's called) fill out the paperwork, and get foodstamps..
Once you can prove you received them, when you come to the point on the online application where it asks whether you or your family members have recived any assistance, whether you are a veteran, whether you are displaced Katrina victim, etc.... Check Yes!

If your responses increase, then we'll know what's really going on with these HR departments! Please let us know!

I'm curious if this helped any. Because my husband is disabled and I am still unemployed, we qualified for fs. I hate even saying it because there are people who receive them that shouldn't. However, I just finished a Bachelors Degree in HR and have been on the job hunt daily for three months. I had to answer this question on a Toys R Us application. Unfortunately, I was rejected for this position. The job was for an HR person, but only required a high school diploma, go figure. Anyway, I was just curious if being on FS really helps you get a job because I haven't seen any evidence of it yet.

51 months ago

Inspector in Missouri said: My thoughts, of late, have been.. employers really need to lighten up on the interview process. Many are just too formal for words.

Interviews don't have to be like a panel of judges on American idol or a panel of justices like the Supreme Court. They can be and should be RELAXED !

Some may argue that it is unprofessional, but who is to judge ??

I actually laughed about this because I have begun to feel the same way! There are sooo many "experts" out there telling us to do this and do that, and if you do it this way, you won't get the job, and you have to fit into this little box in order to be hired, etc. This and the technological age of applying online (because we don't want to meet you face-to-face) begin to make you question whether the time and effort it takes to prepare for every single interview is truly worth it. You do all you can and still on the hunt months later.

By the way, I'm curious what people think about these great personality tests that are administered with these retail applications. Do you really think they give a reliable assessment of whether a person is the right fit for the job?

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

51 months ago

ChristyBa in Albany, Georgia said: I actually laughed about this because I have begun to feel the same way! There are sooo many "experts" out there telling us to do this and do that, and if you do it this way, you won't get the job, and you have to fit into this little box in order to be hired, etc. This and the technological age of applying online (because we don't want to meet you face-to-face) begin to make you question whether the time and effort it takes to prepare for every single interview is truly worth it. You do all you can and still on the hunt months later.

By the way, I'm curious what people think about these great personality tests that are administered with these retail applications. Do you really think they give a reliable assessment of whether a person is the right fit for the job?

I take full responsibility. The fact of the matter is that over 80% of people are employed and many who are still get many calls from recruiters. Recruiters have told me that those who are employed in IT, Finance & Healthcare are getting scooped up and courted by multiple employers

I keep saying to myself --- if only I majored in something IT related or had experience working in Biotech or Healthcare, I would never ever have to worry about being out of a job let alone be making less than six figures.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jazmin in Henderson, Texas

51 months ago

I really believe that it doesn't matter what type of career we have....I see a lot of people looking for jobs like nurses and teachers ..... apparently having a career or having a bachelor degree does not waranty a job on this horrible economy...and I know for my experience I was working for a mortgage company doing Customer service for home loans modifications I worked there for 2 years, so much people is loosing their house because they lost their job and can't get another job and sometimes if they get a job will be making a lot less of what they to use to make...people that was making a 100,000 now is only making 20,000 a year. Companies are laying off people that has being there for 20 or 30 years because they want to hire some that will get paid 12/hr when that job salary is really 30/hr....there is millions of people looking for jobs and are getting the same run around and believe me working at that mortgage company I heard a lot of sad stories of people that died for depression and stress for not being able to find a job.......there is also a lot of pople on the road. we just have to pray , only god can help us

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jazmin in Henderson, Texas

51 months ago

I really believe that it doesn't matter what type of career we have....I see a lot of people looking for jobs like nurses and teachers ..... apparently having a career or having a bachelor degree does not waranty a job on this horrible economy...and I know for my experience I was working for a mortgage company doing Customer service for home loans modifications I worked there for 2 years, so much people is loosing their house because they lost their job and can't get another job and sometimes if they get a job will be making a lot less of what they to use to make...people that was making a 100,000 now is only making 20,000 a year. Companies are laying off people that has being there for 20 or 30 years because they want to hire some that will get paid 12/hr when that job salary is really 30/hr....there is millions of people looking for jobs and are getting the same run around and believe me working at that mortgage company I heard a lot of sad stories of people that died for depression and stress for not being able to find a job.......there is also a lot of people on the road. we just have to pray , only god can help us

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Autonomous1 in Big Sandy, Texas

51 months ago

Sometimes a really good delusion can calm you down, soothe your nerves and make you feel safe and secure. Sometimes that alone provides enough of the placebo effect to help out with an occasional road block that may interrupt one’s path in life or a minor health issue that arises. Worry and stress can also give you a heart attack. They are all bad for your health but a well constructed lie can make you feel so much better. The placebo effect is really nothing but the result of a lie. You are told you are taking medication and you will feel better right away and in a day or so – ‘abracadabra’ - you're feeling better. If you were told you're really taking sugar pills you might even become more ill instead of recovering.

The placebo effect is a neat little trick that doctors use to treat patients and for researchers to perform in double blind studies. But why does the placebo effect work at all? Why would being told a lie actually help a person? Simply put it’s because many of your illnesses are psychosomatic. It’s your mind that got you sick in the first place. By fooling your mind you can make yourself better and get well but not for real serious diseases, physical, mental injuries and other devastating illnesses. Medical intervention is required in such cases. A positive mental attitude will be a great help but it's not magic, not by any stretch of the lucid imagination. It’s nothing supernatural either. The brain is the central control system for the whole body and even produces opiates and endorphins for pain.

Prayers fail rather miserably as substitutes for actual medical care and intervention. Major studies in intercessory prayer have shown that not only do prayers not work in most cases, but when some of the patients actually learn that they are being prayed for their condition gets worse instead of improving. In these cases there is an effect opposite to placebo. It’s called the nocebo effect. It’s almost like someone putting a curse on someone except

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

this is done with good intentions.

Religion depends so much on such vulnerabilities of the uninformed mind. Such vulnerabilities are so valuable that religion deliberately exacerbates these human flaws to its benefit by nurturing mental defects, mental illnesses and encouraging the blind veneration of scripture, ignorance, fantasy and delusion. It uses fear, guilt, punishment as well as reward and security. All are completely baseless, however. There is a good cop, bad cop game being played upon the stupid, gullible and credulous. They are more than willing to play the game but – the problem is - they don't think or realize that it’s a cunning game of complete psychological control over the player.

The gullible and ignorant also use prayer to control the weather as Georgia's Gov. Purdue attempted to do for a drought a few years ago. It hardly drizzled at all. We also saw the disastrous effect that prayer had against Hurricane Katrina. Prayer is also used for such things as good fortune, healing of the sick and infirm – (strange how you never hear any stories about blind people or amputees being healed and made physically whole, however) - answers to a question or problem, assistance with securing the perfect job, mate, house, car, a nearby parking space at the shopping center, restaurant, night club, church, bank, post office, etc. to safe travel, personal glory, victory in foreign and domestic wars of territorial invasion, senseless slaughter and plunder, and just about anything else one wishes for. All are nothing more than mental masturbations and self-indulgent, self hypnosis reinforcements of religious delusions. Every sort of rationalization is made when the prayer doesn't return the desired effect. If the nutter prays for a loved one not to die and they die anyway, they rationalize it in every way possible - it was the Lord’s will or simply their time to go, for example. The true facts of life elude the religious who can't face real life without some

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

sort of mentally conjured up, invisible, larger-than-life crutch to lean upon. Members of the religious faithful are zealous, obtuse, ridiculous, irrational, often incoherent, but mostly delusional and many suffer irreversible, incurable psychosis where auditory hallucinations of divine providence speak to them on a recurring basis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

S_Palma in Harrison, New York

51 months ago

Autonomus 1 - Does this mean your now unemployed, or have you just given up? Or, do you imagine you are working, for the placebo effect?

P.S. Faith can move mountains and belief can inspire. Suffering, Pain and setbacks breeds Character in the long run. There' always a bit of heaven on the battle grounds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

RobInStLouis in Waterloo, Illinois

51 months ago

ChristyBa in Albany, Georgia said: I actually laughed about this because I have begun to feel the same way! There are sooo many "experts" out there telling us to do this and do that, and if you do it this way, you won't get the job, and you have to fit into this little box in order to be hired, etc. This and the technological age of applying online (because we don't want to meet you face-to-face) begin to make you question whether the time and effort it takes to prepare for every single interview is truly worth it. You do all you can and still on the hunt months later.

Personality tests? I've taken over a dozen of them and I think they really do determine if you are the right type of person for the job. That doesn't mean that I endorse or like them, however. We are told that we can be anything we want to be, but these tests determine what I can and can't do. An introvert can't be a successful salesman since these tests "suggest" that the employer should not put themselves in the position to offer that opportunity. "Remember when you take the tests that there are no wrong answers," they say. That one is my favorite. The wrong answer is the whole test that doesn't get you the job. I actually took a test about four years after I was hired at an employer. I was then passed over for a promotion in favor of someone who had a personality more like the company president. I loathe the results of every test I take. They are all the same result and right on the money. Somewhere on the Meyers-Briggs scale there is a designation called, "unemployable and unsuccessful." lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joseph in Irvington, New Jersey

51 months ago

I am so depressed. I graduated in May with my Master's, I'm only 23 and for what? NO one wants to hire me! I've gone on at least 10 interviews and haven't gotten any offers - I think I am lacking experience (I only have about 2 years experience and internships), but even entry level positions aren't looking at me. :( I just want to curl up in my bed and die.

51 months ago

Joseph in Irvington, New Jersey said: I am so depressed. I graduated in May with my Master's, I'm only 23 and for what?

Dude, you are in the same boat as so many others. I am 38 years old and graduated in July with a Bachelors Degree in HR. I have been on 1 interview that was HR related and one that is the same job that I went to school to get away from! I have so much experience in one that I can't get an interview, no matter how I change my resume to fit the position. I have no direct experience with the other. I have taken out my college degrees to be exactly qualified for jobs, I have been specific with my qualifications and send cover letters addressing what they are looking for. I'm depressed, too, but I'm still here looking and applying. Hang in there!

BAYAREA in Fremont, California

50 months ago

you guys all live in remote way out there, boonies type states. You need to move to a metropolitan area, like the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA.. or Southern California, Los Angeles/Orange County.. this is where there are jobs and they pay much more. There are a lot more jobs out here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Jackson Heights, New York

50 months ago

BAYAREA in Fremont, California said: you guys all live in remote way out there, boonies type states. You need to move to a metropolitan area, like the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA.. or Southern California, Los Angeles/Orange County.. this is where there are jobs and they pay much more. There are a lot more jobs out here.

And there is also ALOT more competition as well. You think all these 'high paying jobs' get 1-5 applications & resumes each?? Of course many people are thinking along those lines. And many companies will not respond unless you meet 110% of the listed qualifications. It isn't the job market of the late 1990's when having some of the qualifications was enough to get the job, now you have to apply online and usually a third party HR screening system (Taleo) screens your resume for the exact key words

50 months ago

BAYAREA in Fremont, California said: you guys all live in remote way out there, boonies type states. You need to move to a metropolitan area, like the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA.. or Southern California, Los Angeles/Orange County.. this is where there are jobs and they pay much more. There are a lot more jobs out here.

Then why is unemployment in LA country over 11%?? Or is that because of the reason the Media gives?? Only 'low skilled' workers can't find jobs & this mythical 'jobs mismatch'??

50 months ago

Then why is unemployment in LA country over 11%?? Or is that because of the reason the Media gives?? Only 'low skilled' workers can't find jobs & this mythical 'jobs mismatch'??

D for desperate in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

Really?? I live in orange county, I have an MA and can't seem to find a job. I also know a quite a few people who have lost their jobs. I wouldn't exactly say things are better out here, or in California.

jazmin

50 months ago

Finding a job is being so dificult everywhere regardless of where you live and I live in houston, texas and is being hard to get a job . All I can think of is just stay positive cause sometimes is very depresive to survive without an income and sometimes I feel like going to sleep forever without a return....cause I feel without motivation cause I had done everything to find a job without success...employers can careless if there is unemployee people trying to survive ..employers keep playing their game

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

saser in Red Bluff, California

50 months ago

Do not give up, try to stay focus and think positive thoughts. Keep trying, things can get better. Please do not give up. When you give up you have lost everything. Everyday say to yourself, I will not accept less and I deserve the best. You are entitled to the pursuit of happiness that is your right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

db in Sacramento, California

49 months ago

Job hunting is hard no matter what you try! Just keep trying is the key. Keep accurate records, the whole ball of wax!

Depressed in Stamford in Stamford, Connecticut

49 months ago

In January 09 we were lost 779,000 jobs that month in November 10 we added only 151,000 jobs. The unemployment rate was 7.7% now we are at 9.6. That rate stayed almost unchanged the whole year of 2010. In Feb of 2009 the rate was 8.1% with 12.5 million officially unemployed, now it stands at14.8 million. The hidden unemployment was 5.6 million who stopped looking and now that stands at 6.3 million. So even though we are now adding jobs there are still more people out of work today than 2 years ago when we were in the worst part of the recession. What is our government doing to help create jobs? We need to add at least 150,000 jobs per month to just keep up with the population growth, even though we added jobs this year only a few months hit that mark, not including temporary census work . At the current pace we are adding jobs it will take 20 years to get back down to the pre recession unemployment rate, and if there is another recession before then you can add more years to that. Usually every decade has a recession so most likely it will never be that low again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

49 months ago

Depressed in Stamford in Stamford, Connecticut said: In January 09 we were lost 779,000 jobs that month in November 10 we added only 151,000 jobs. The unemployment rate was 7.7% now we are at 9.6. That rate stayed almost unchanged the whole year of 2010. In Feb of 2009 the rate was 8.1% with 12.5 million officially unemployed, now it stands at14.8 million. The hidden unemployment was 5.6 million who stopped looking and now that stands at 6.3 million. So even though we are now adding jobs there are still more people out of work today than 2 years ago when we were in the worst part of the recession. What is our government doing to help create jobs? We need to add at least 150,000 jobs per month to just keep up with the population growth, even though we added jobs this year only a few months hit that mark, not including temporary census work . At the current pace we are adding jobs it will take 20 years to get back down to the pre recession unemployment rate, and if there is another recession before then you can add more years to that. Usually every decade has a recession so most likely it will never be that low again.

And what is worse is that many of this so called 'job creation' that has happened in 2010 is mostly temp & retail jobs. Neither of which offer any security or health benefits. People over the age of 35 (let alone 40) have also found it very difficult to get rehired since many of these '20 something' recruiters aka "screeners" don't want to hire someone who isn't as pretty as those on the Jersey Shore reality TV show

49 months ago

I am an older worker, 54, and it is hard to find someone to give an older applicant a chance. I really need a full time job to make it during the month, being that I am so far in debt, a part time job may help with a few expenses, but not with all of the vital needs. I have never had this much trouble finding employment. To top it off, I quit my last full time job after 15 years due to a highly stressful situation. I regret doing so, but at the time it seemed the only alternative. Thus, I have not had any unemployment benefits, just help from family who are now tapped out themselves, unfortunately. It is really bad out here, worse than people realize.

R. B. in York, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

Looking for a job is now becoming a sad joke for me. I am court ordered to find a job. I have been looking now for over a year been out of work for 2 years went back to school cause they said it would look good for me. Now I completed school i have a huge student loan that will be coming due in 4 months, I have the domestics on me to get a job or go to jail, Im now franticly looking for a job with tons of applications and some interviews that all end with either sorry we dont have a job for you or we will let you know. What is wrong with me? I am a willing worker, Im honest, and a team player. I will be losing my vehicle (due to non payment and falling behind on the note)and my license due to court saying that im in violation of the court order, when that happens i guess my life is over. I dont live in city I need transportation to get to the interviews that i do get Im traveling almost 25 to 30 miles to some interviews that havent worked. I do what the books say when im at the interview. heck I even Offered a couple of small businesses a trial period that they dont even have to pay me so that they can see that Im a worthwhile person. Its all a no go. I guess I will give it to the new year then I will have to go..I dont want to be a burden to my mother anymore she has been paying the bills and going into debt too for me and if society will not accept me to be a wage earner then my place is not here. LOL the Courts will happily take me to jail and charge me for being there. Im in a corner and there is no room to jump or dig my way out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

I feel your pain. I owe so much I may be hauled off for non-payment if my situation does not change soon. You might try what I am now trying-- contacting the ministers at local churches and explaining my plight, asking them to ask their members if they know anyone who would give me a chance. I just started doing that,and it was difficult because of my pride, but my options are drying up. My sister has been helping me,God bless her, but I have been a drain on her as well. I will say a prayer for you, and hope you try my suggestion -- we will both see if it works at all. God bless.

49 months ago

I went to a networking event this past week and heard nothing but sad stories from everyone there. On lady told us that it was the first time she ever lost her job at age 48 she never had a resume and also has a nephew age 26 who is having a hard time just like everyone else. When they talk on the news about the unemployment benefits going to run out for over 2 million in the next month, the fail to mention that there are more than 2 million who are 99ers already and have been out of benefits some as long as Spring, so when to benefits run out (which they will, as this week is a holiday for them) we will have about 5 million at least that will have a terrible holiday season. I don't even hear of people who recently got a job. Temp/seasonal jobs will be over in January so I really don't even count those. I ask myself daily when will I ever find a job? Will I ever work again? I mean a full time job not just odds and ends jobs which I may have to do if I can even get one. I feel something has to give, this is so sad and so severe that it really hurts eveyone, because the working are worried this could happen to some of them as well and they will not be able to find work just like us.

49 months ago

I worked for the Census this year, but they over-hired (maybe to make the statistics look better) and there was not many hours to work. I am scared-- no one seems to be looking at the current economy and giving those of us out of work a chance -- the longer you are un-employed, the less desirable a hire you become. It is a seemingly hopeless situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

SCC, I totally believe that the over-hired for the census. They were inflating the April/May job reports and making huge job losses for June-Sept. What did they have you work a few hours a week just so they can give thousands of people jobs? Then when your job with the census is over you have to re-apply for unemployment benefits all over again, and when your benefit year comes up you will get reduced benefits because you did the right thing and worked. How the government is out go make us dirt.

49 months ago

I have to admit that I believe you are correct. For a few months the Census workers made their statistics look as if the un-employment figures were getting better, thus validating the government's efforts. It made no sense to those of us working- it was unbelievable in my area how little work there was to do because so many were hired. It went too quickly. May have been good for the Department of Commerce, but for those of us needing the hours to feed our families and pay our bills, it was of little help. And many, including myself, could not re-apply for benefits. I have not had benefits for a lengthy period now. I am applying for EVERYTHING I see, and each refusal just makes you feel more hopeless than before. Were it not for help from family, which is now extremely limited, I would not have made it this far.

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

49 months ago

I can remember at the beginning of the year that in the libraries they had tons of flyers for people to apply for census jobs and they had training meetings at the libraries. The pay was great and I think that is what really got people interested in hopes of it being tons of hours. The government does have a way of making things look better than what it is. I don't think they hired so many workers in the last census in 2000 as when I was looking back they monthly unemployment numbers didn't go negative when the census ended, but then again the economic times were much better then. Headhunters would call my office asking if I wanted jobs that had from employers and needed candidatates to fill now it is the other way around.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.