Why am i not getting hired on

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (301 to 350 of 486)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

Disappointed in Palo Alto, California

58 months ago

dontwanttobea99er in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I've been rejected or ignored 300+ times over an 18 month span...including about 6 "in person" interviews...one of which I had to drive 3 hours each way and stay in a hotel overnight for, at my own expense.

I'm now working at Sears for minimum wage, and it's a daily struggle not to quit on the spot. Slavery hasn't gone away, it's just become more sinister and cunning. I can't believe I attended 6 years of higher education, to come to this.

I can't even get Whole Foods to hire me as a cashier. I applied a week ago...no response. I applied to a government job 2.5 months ago...took a test, and got the results today. I got a 85, which puts me way down on the list to even get an interview for the position.

I'm seriously considering cashing out my 401K (would net me about 10K), moving to the middle of nowhere, and living in someone's barn in exchange for picking their crops. Living in this city with no money and no opportunity of making any is TORTURE.

Hi... I've done the government tests too (but I'm in California). I've driven 3 to 5 hrs just to take the exams. I've had to stay overnight too in some cases. I've been called for interviews as well. And did stay the night in a couple of cities. Though I haven't yet applied for a retail position, I did apply at a credit union (mine) - & got rejected. (I used to be a bank teller in my younger days). I too would like to work at Whole Foods (it's a good company, I believe). I have a feeling though, that even retail is going to be very picky. I have a friend who works at Macys, & I'm hoping maybe he can get me In. I wish us both luck.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

pma1000 in Vernal, Utah said: Finally someone actually said what was on my mind! Yes, they should make it more relaxing for interviews, I have been on an interview 3 times for the same company, always 3 or 4 interviewers...always the same questions, always the same information given, now isn't that weird??? Don't you think they would of said by the 3rd interview, "ahhh heck, you know the drill can we just say you have been here 3 times already"...crazy stuff!! No I did not get one the those positions even though I was clearly qualified! I am 55! Thats why I didn't get the jobs! From the looks of the workers (all young) I might of out worked them, none seemed to be on a phone or anything. Nope I hate America right now or should I say I hate our leaders, they make laws and not do a thing about age discrimination!!

yes, so true. The EEOC shouldn't even exist. I filed in 2009, & just recently I heard back. Very weird - re: what the letter said & the phone call (not consistent). According to their findings: the employer is KING. They've done nothing wrong. Case dis-missed. I'm going to respond soon... excuse me, discrimination has occurred. Are you people on dope!

Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Dori in New York, New York said: Sure I have gaps where I had not worked in years. That's because no one would hire me. Why are people suddenly dumbstruck when you tell them this? Babyboomers? I don't fit into that category. Honestly what will these geniuses do once the economy tanks and NO ONE is working except those with relatives with companies and friends who can 'get them in'? Gonna be a whole bunch of new people on that food stamp line and checking into the shelters.

You said it Dori! Couldn't have said it better. Way to go girl!

Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: and don't think you can just 'go back to school' in your 30s or later (g*d forbid) and think you will get a job in that field. That is very very dangerous thinking because you will have a gap on your resume + thousands in loans or money that you paid for a degree you may never use. Sad to say but if its between someone older & a 'just out of school' 20 something who is the company going to go with??
I abandoned the CPA track because I was basically told a CPA (in accounting) is worthless without public experience and that no one will hire me for a lower level job to get experience at my age

This is so true what you say re: going back to school for a degree at an older age. I didn't know that when I left my job to get my 4-yr degree. At the time, I thought employers wanted folks w/ BA or BS degrees. Plus, the gov'mt makes a big deal about going to college (but perhaps it's targeted more towards 17 & 18 yr olds). It is sad b/c I feel I have a lot to offer (actually more than some 20-something yr old).

Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

ChristyBa in Albany, Georgia said: BAYAREA in Fremont, California said: "you guys all live in remote way out there, boonies type states. You need to move to a metropolitan area, like the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA.. or Southern California, Los Angeles/Orange County.. this is where there are jobs and they pay much more. There are a lot more jobs out here."

Not only is there ALOT more competition, the pay may be more, but the cost of living is also higher. In addition, relocation funding is many times not an option. If you've been out of work and barely living on your savings, how do you propose people can afford to move to these areas? There may be more opportunity, but everyone in the country can't live in the same metro areas, either.
Realistically, there are few jobs available because companies don't know how they can afford to hire new people. The healthcare bill and possible tax hikes are scaring employers into keeping what they have and cutting their budgets as much as possible. Even government positions are holding out on hiring for as long as they can do keep their payroll down. Additionally, one person is doing to job that two people used to do. It's a lose-lose situation.

There are no jobs in the San Francisco Bay Area (nor in Santa Clara nor San Jose). We have 11% unemployment like in other places. Other than working for the US Census, which was very little hours, I've found that looking for work outside the Bay Area (like 3 or 4 hrs away), has been most helpful.

Reply - Report abuse

Peter in Berlin, Germany

58 months ago

I've had a similar experience, too. Kind of hard to handle.

Reply - Report abuse

Dany in Toronto, Ontario

58 months ago

I have a job but it is far away and does not pay well. I have been trying to get a job through email - the thing is, I would love to go in person, but I am overweight and I don't think it would make a good impression. Also, I was unjustly dismissed from my last job and was given no reasons so in interviews there really isn't anything I can say to explain why I was fired.

Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in Burlington, Connecticut

58 months ago

well i didnt get either of the jobs from my Valentines Day interviews and I really thought I had a shot at either, the $16/hr. esp. had my hopes up, tho the job had no health insurance and was not something i wanted to do (too much on computer data entry kind of work) but for that kind of salary I can paste a smile on my face and say a cheery good morning.

going in to both interviews they new of my criminal record from 2004 just the 1 felony/misdemeanor tho not what it for so i figured they must only go back 7 yrs. or they would've told me not to come in, they did NOT ask me for explanation tho I don't have anything plausible to say, I've blamed it on the 6 psych. meds i was taking at the time, lowering my judgement but that only serves to make me out like some crazy person and my character cannot be "cured" by drugs so I couldnt say I am fine now, neither could I say I am no longer depressed as I look depressed or angry all of the time unless something in particular makes me laugh, I am very serious so I think if they are looking for someone upbeat, friendly and chatty who will fit in well, I look like my cat just died tho I don't have one. I WAS ACTUALLY asked this: "how would you make your new coworkers like you"?
I've heard some weird questions but this is among the top 20, I was like "um be friendly and helpful"?

What really sucks I cant' apply to those co. again, and for both it was like the 6th. time I'd applied in recent years and while they are small orgs. they have at least a dz office support jobs.

I applied to NOTHING this week, nothing new to apply to, this is feeling like 2009 all over again, worse since the few I find I've allready applied to.
One employer called me now after i'd interviewed there in 2007, in the prescreen it came out and the interviewer (co. president!) started yelling at me and said this conversation is over don't waste his time and don't ever apply again?

have another crazier interview story some other time

Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in Burlington, Connecticut

58 months ago

well i didnt get either of the jobs from my Valentines Day interviews and I really thought I had a shot at either, the $16/hr. esp. had my hopes up, tho the job had no health insurance and was not something i wanted to do (too much on computer data entry kind of work) but for that kind of salary I can paste a smile on my face and say a cheery good morning.

going in to both interviews they new of my criminal record from 2004 just the 1 felony/misdemeanor tho not what it for so i figured they must only go back 7 yrs. or they would've told me not to come in, they did NOT ask me for explanation tho I don't have anything plausible to say, I've blamed it on the 6 psych. meds i was taking at the time, lowering my judgement but that only serves to make me out like some crazy person and my character cannot be "cured" by drugs so I couldnt say I am fine now, neither could I say I am no longer depressed as I look depressed or angry all of the time unless something in particular makes me laugh, I am very serious so I think if they are looking for someone upbeat, friendly and chatty who will fit in well, I look like my cat just died tho I don't have one. I WAS ACTUALLY asked this: "how would you make your new coworkers like you"?
I've heard some weird questions but this is among the top 20, I was like "um be friendly and helpful"?

What really is a pain is I cant apply to those co. again, and for both it was like the 6th. time I'd applied in recent years and while they are small orgs. they have at least a dz office support jobs.

I applied to NOTHING this week, nothing new to apply to, this is feeling like 2009 all over again, worse since the few I find I've allready applied to.
One employer called me now after i'd interviewed there in 2007, in the prescreen it came out and the interviewer (co. president!) started yelling at me and said this conversation is over don't waste his time and don't ever apply again?

have another crazier interview story some other time

Reply - Report abuse

s_kovacs_73 in Saint Catharines, Ontario

58 months ago

Bob in Marion, Iowa said: Well here is the picture i applied for a job and got a interview the interview went great she said she liked me so i got a 2nd interview and he said i was well qualified for the job. So i called abotu a week later and asked if they have made any decistions and they said yes we licke dyou laot but there was 2 other people that had a little bti better qualifications so were goign to put your resume at the top of the list so if aother postion opens up. Well about 2 weeks passed another postion opend up advered in the local paper so i gave them a call and said i see you have more postions opend in the paper she said w ehavitn hired anyone yet and my resume is still on file so 3 days pass and i get a denil of employment letter in the mail and i was like humm thats wierd. So next i decide to go threw a temp technition staffing agency that does alot of contract work. first job was alrihgt but jsut temp then the temp service calls me and says hey we go somthig for you that will last 4 days so i said sure 2 dasy after that i find out it is for the same place that i was denied employment threw . well the staffign agecy has to send my information over to that palce to pretty much check and see if they want me to work there temporarley and the same person that denied me employment said it was okay so im now working at the place i wanted to but threw a temp service for 4 days and i jsut look in the paper today and what do you know that same compny jsut put a add in the paper for hiring full time people for the same thing that im doing for the temp agiensy i dotn understand how they will not hire me directly if a postion is open like the paper says but they will agree to let me work there on contract terms for the same job with less the tainning. Im doing the job now i have the skills why am i denied employmetn permant when they are hiring for full time people this is nto making any scicne to me . i have also been infomred that the compny has neve

Reply - Report abuse

sweeny66 in East Orange, New Jersey

58 months ago

Thom in Fremont, California said: Age discrimination is real. I have been out of work since 04/09 and literally applied to over 60 places. I am looking at the security industry and plan on working from the bottom up. I also know it's not an industry to get into if you want to make "big dollars". I am also a US Navy veteran. I did some checking/follow-up on several companies that told me 'not what we're looking for'. They advertise 0-1 year experience. I have offered to work any shift. "Not what we're looking for." I know age discrimination is present on some cases but it may well be the hardest to prove.

Hiring managers must understand that we need to work. I don't wish unemployment on anyone but I hope they understand the seriousness of the situation. God forbid one of these people hears of a parent losing their job. Younger people are in fact intimidated by older citizens. Grey hair scares them. Knowledge scares them, and the disregard for the law escapes them.

I have been denied employment at the following places; Fry's Electronics, Sears, Wal-Mart, Target, VA Hospital, Radio Shack,COmpass Components, and the list goes on. I have 27 years of retail and wholesale electronics sales and customer service experience. I was at my last employers place for 12+ years. There's no reason I should have been denied the opportunity to work.

Good luck to those of you looking, I think you're going to need it. I know I am now looking out of state.

I think I"m having the same problem. Getting turned down by Wal-mart is tough. I'm waiting for them to call now and I see them as a sort of last resort. Hell they hire young, old , mentally challenged. That is discouraging.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

58 months ago

sweeny66 in East Orange, New Jersey said: I think I"m having the same problem. Getting turned down by Wal-mart is tough. I'm waiting for them to call now and I see them as a sort of last resort. Hell they hire young, old , mentally challenged. That is discouraging.

What is discouraging is that Wal-Mart is the largest private employer in America. The largest employer is the Federal Government and that is equally discouraging. Neither one actually make anything. Heh!

Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Avon Lake, Ohio

58 months ago

I have been reading many posts about employment with Wal-Mart. Please remember that when you fill out the application, that the assessment test really dictates if you will become employed with them.

Remember that no company wants to hire someone that will be leaving them for another position at anytime. Once again it costs money to initiate your health insurance, provide you onboard and job training. Unfortunately, if you score well, you may never hear from Wal-Mart.

I once scheduled a appointment with a manager of a local Wal-Mart. What I learned was that I scored high enough to be considered in the managment position with Wal-Mart, but because I have no experience in retail, I was not elgible to be considered for Mangement. When I asked to be hired to get this experience, I was told that because of my assessment score I would never be considered for retail employment.

Reply - Report abuse

carol123 in santa maria, California

58 months ago

I was working two min wage jobs and going to school full time. I was treated by my boss like a slave and verbally abused for 3 years. I complained to him one time and he said the reason I hired you is because your attractive so be grateful you have a job and shut up. This was nothing in how he would talk to me. I finally one day after fretting sick a lot from stress and lack of sleep quit both jobs and school. I saw no future but debt and of the same. I was sick of being called stupid, having a 4.0 and speaking several languages does not make you stupid, granted I do make mistakes sometimes since English is my fourth languages but I hardly have a accent. I grew up in Belgium close to the UK. Both my daughter and husband supported me. I started selling cup cakes. Year later I'm doing very well. Besides my daughter and her friend I have 3 employees that get payed 16 a hour. Everyone says I'm crazy paying so much. First you can't live on 8 a hour, I have been there, I know how it feels when they take advantage of you because you need that money, my people work harder because they see I care and the more I make the more they will. Don't give up but don't let people treat you like crap either. I started with just brochures I made at home. I got my permits and stuff later, I know it was risky and not very legal at first but I had no choice. It was destroying me. I am hiring a delivery person next month in Santa Maria ca. I don't care about age,looks,weight etc.. just someone that is willing to work hard,is honest and cares about what we do. In turn a good salary, free cup cakes and emergency babysitting free of charge. I can't offer health insurance yet but I give overtime,sick days,vvacation. Try and perhaps start your own thing, try and find something that does not require a lot of .money to start. I was lucky to have a husband that was supportive not much money for the first 3 months. good luck and I am wishing you all the best, please take care of yourselfs.

Reply - Report abuse

carol123 in santa maria, California

58 months ago

I apologize for some of the spelling and grammar mistakes. I was writing this on my phone and I do make mistakes that's why I usually use word. I forgot to add that I am 40 years old and if anyone lives near Santa Maria and would be interested in the job look on Craigslist starting April because I can't post that on this board I don't want to get spam or anything. I really wish all of you the best.

Reply - Report abuse

HowdyH in Tucson, Arizona

57 months ago

I have been working for a company for 7 years. The last 3 years, in one specific department. I changed departments and found I wanted to return to the previous. I am specially certified to work in the one I wanted to return to, which I am one of only 3 who hold this title. A position opened. My ex - manager hired an applicant with much less experience and based her choice on availability. This did not make sense as my reputation is impeccable and is demonstrated on my evaluations. My supervisor expressed that she dd not want me to leave the department and how she felt she was losing such a strong asset. Plus, for scheduling purposes I did not need training, could independently work each area, and can work independently. I am trusted by the charges and physicians. I was always on time and have had very few call offs. I do have 6 children and my husband works out of town, but that does not interfere.
Since this incident, that supervisor is posting openings in the department to those already working in the department, knowing I want to return. She used to open them hospital wide. The people acquiring the positions are brand new graduates that have worked as clerks or techs. Also, family members to other employees in the department. The ratio of new grads to seasoned nurses makes the department much less safe.
I feel I am being discriminated against by not having the correct gene pool or friends.

Reply - Report abuse

Carlos in San Diego, California

57 months ago

I was 100% like you all, tons of applications, tons of interviews. I know the INs and OUTs of the interview NON SENSE, no callbacks, rude interviewers, well, you've said them all! I have probably applied to 1000+ jobs and have gone to 20 interviews. I was in the SF bay area.

I have an associates in microbiology and have plenty of diverse work experience. I recently moved to San Diego. Already have a job in about three weeks.

Its great, but its funny how right place, right time really influences...

Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

57 months ago

Desertwater in Houston, Texas said: I applied at a vet clinic and went to a working interview. I got paid that day. So they say they want to put me on a two week trial period. It is paid but I will not be employed unless the two week trial period goes well. Is this legal?

Desertwater, from your profile it looks like you're in Texas, a "Right-to-Work" state. That translates to your employment can be terminated for any reason. You are in fact employed, but you have no job security. You may want to think of yourself as a temp with the possibility of "permanent" employment (not that there really is such a thing anymore).

Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

57 months ago

I heartily second what learnfungo says about mock interviews. They're a fantastic way to smooth out your answers and look for any tics or nervous habits you might have.

Reply - Report abuse

trmulligan in Gilbert, Arizona

56 months ago

OhSoConfused in Sealy, Texas said: I'm not even getting calls for interviews for jobs I am qualified for and have verifiable experience at. These are manufacturing jobs and the job postings, which are constantly on the state employment site as well as on Craigslist state they are ea. hiring 100 to 50 positions.

I have applied directly with the company and through 2 different temp agencies. The company states they give no follow-up info. but if they're interested, they'll call. The temp agencies say they have to look at their incoming faxes and emails, then they take my number, promise a call back, but nothing ever comes.

My next step will be to apply again at the two temp agencies but change the format of my resume and use a shorter, MALE, version of my first name and see if they call me back then. I'm tempted to video tape or page capture it. I seriously think they're not calling me because I'm a woman and the field is predominantly male. However, I have experience in predominately male fields and in hard, manual labor. I think they see my FEMALE name at the top of the page and toss my verifiable experience, listed further down, in the trash!

Like at least one other posting here says, I have NEVER had this much trouble getting a job. Never!

I feel your pain but in a different way. I have applied for numerous jobs but I am afraid I am not getting even an interview because of the A word, age. I am 55 and if employers put the timeline together when I received my degrees they can figure it out pretty quickly. I am thinking of changing the dates that I got my degrees, the name on the resume and keeping the experience the same and see what happens. Let me know what happens and good luck to you!
Tim

Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Xtlman in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Being unemployed since July of this year, I can definately relate to the frustration that is expressed in all these posts. With a professional certification, bachelors degree from an accredited college, 24 years GeoEnvironmental industry experience, and experience working from Alaska to Arizona I have NEVER seen a job market like this. I must say at least some of you are getting interviews. Over 50 and over-qualified is an extremely tough position to be in. Having been a hiring manager I ALWAYS took the time to let each and every applicant know via email or letter the position had been filled. It appears as if that is no longer the case, and they just close all lines of communication. My opinion is that when they are looking at either highly qualified or slightly qualified applicants, they will go with the slightly qualified ones in fear that when the market straightens back out, they are going to loose the highly qualified one. I know most of us with experience are just looking to get our feet in the door and to be able to prove our worth, as long as the comes with a livable wage. For some of us highly qualified individuals we represent a threat to the mid level managers, being more qualified than them and potentially taking their jobs away from them when we prove just how valuable we are. I wish I had a solution to this problem, but alas I do not. Only time and perserverance will prevail, and when the right position becomes avaialble within a company that can perceive your potential value, then the call will come for you to start work.

I have tried simplyhired, indeed and several of the other web job sites without even an interview. I have 23 years of management experience with a Fortune 500 company, am currently employed, a bachelors degree and an MBA and usually not even a return email. What are employers afraid of? overqualified, high salary demands, is it A G E?

Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario said: Nope, but I know they'll only give out limited information about my employment for legal reasons.
So, since I have a long term employment with one company, I list a number of roles I held while employed there.
But, I always leave my last role at the top of the list.
This way, when the reference check is made, I can say I only held that role for the last six month of the 15 years I was there.
Before that, I was the office manager, IT manager, product manager, etc.. or whatever they're looking for.

I've only sent out 4 resumes this year with the new format.. and I've received calls on two of them.

Interesting strategy,I am in the same boat having been with the same company for over 30 years in many different management capacities. The skills are still there even though the positions may have been held years ago. Good luck to you!

Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

56 months ago

What are you doing to avoid agist assumptions with your job search? Are you limiting your resume to your last 12-15 years or listing all of it? Do you put the dates you graduated or completing training/certifications? There are ways to establish credibility in a resume and other tools without showing your age. The people doing the hiring are always going to find ways to narrow the candidate pool; applicants need to understand that and leverage the ways to make themselves get around those barriers.

Reply - Report abuse

Not looking But in Herndon, Virginia

55 months ago

I have been getting calls and emails left and right for IT jobs in the Detroit area. I have turned down several jobs in the past month because I Updated my resume on Careerbuilder. I do go on some of the job interviews just to see what it would be like in the company that is trying to hire me. So the point I am making is that the Detroit Area is in need of IT professionals and if you have the skills it wont be hard to get a job offer. Like I said i am not even looking... If anyone is in the Detroit area I will be happy to forward some of these jobs along.

Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

55 months ago

Detroit is what's going to happen to the rest of the country, if things don't turn around. Don't believe the GM commercials that say Detroit is on the upswing. That's one of those places where they're knocking down brand new houses because the vacant land is worth more without a hobo hotel on it.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

Not looking But in Herndon, Virginia said: I have been getting calls and emails left and right for IT jobs in the Detroit area. I have turned down several jobs in the past month because I Updated my resume on Careerbuilder. I do go on some of the job interviews just to see what it would be like in the company that is trying to hire me. So the point I am making is that the Detroit Area is in need of IT professionals and if you have the skills it wont be hard to get a job offer. Like I said i am not even looking... If anyone is in the Detroit area I will be happy to forward some of these jobs along.

Have you been to Detroit lately?

Reply - Report abuse

Emkhey in Philippines

55 months ago

Maybe, it is not just the right job for you, or the employers are looking for some qualifications that they might not recognize to you.

Reply - Report abuse

RHGutierrez in San Diego, California

54 months ago

In the past, at every interview I was at offered me a job. I know that the market is harder but I have more experience and have gotten more education. There are a few employer who continue to give me part-time contract work. I have gone to what feels like a million interviews these last two years but have not been able to get any of the full-time positions only the part-time temporary ones. One company told me I would "definitely be called for a second interview" and told me the month they would set them up. The month of the second interview I got a thank you for applying but no thank you letter. I've talked to my references and none have been called for the positions I have applied for (they are all friends and old supervisors that I am no longer working under.)
What am I doing wrong when I an finding out that people with less experience, knowledge, and education are getting work over me?

Reply - Report abuse

katts8 in Guilford, Connecticut

54 months ago

i have the same issue got low paying part time
no full time but have lots of experience
how are they getting jobs not me

Reply - Report abuse

Dany in Burlington, Ontario

54 months ago

Cancel email alerts

Reply - Report abuse

FogCityGirl in San Francisco, California

54 months ago

One thing that stands out to me is your spelling. Perhaps your resume is fine and everything, but mind your spelling.
I have had a similar problem, being that I am qualified. I get an email from the guy I interviewed with saying that he was very impressed with me, that I am qualified, but they were going with a another candidate. When I replied saying "thanks for letting me know, please give me feed back as to why you went with the other candidate. What stood out with the other candidate?" "He replied first saying he had no feedback at this time." Well what the heck does that mean? I emailed him back saying his response to my question was vague because he is going by corporate protocol. I have no idea what that means.

Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Aurora, Colorado

54 months ago

RHGutierrez in San Diego, California said: In the past, at every interview I was at offered me a job. I know that the market is harder but I have more experience and have gotten more education. There are a few employer who continue to give me part-time contract work. I have gone to what feels like a million interviews these last two years but have not been able to get any of the full-time positions only the part-time temporary ones. One company told me I would "definitely be called for a second interview" and told me the month they would set them up. The month of the second interview I got a thank you for applying but no thank you letter. I've talked to my references and none have been called for the positions I have applied for (they are all friends and old supervisors that I am no longer working under.)
What am I doing wrong when I an finding out that people with less experience, knowledge, and education are getting work over me?

They might have less experience, knowledge, and education than you, but their resume might be a closer match for the arbitrary criteria that the employer is using to avoid having to make a hard decision on whom to hire. In my classes, I help struggling classmates who land jobs with companies that I can't even get an interview with. In 20 years, I went from having the chairwoman of a college CS dept. try to talk me into going for a Ph.D. to being too stupid even to do entry-level work.

Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

You think that's bad? I've applied to every job in every Home Depot within a 20 mile radius of my apartment. 5 stores. Not one of them has called me.

Reply - Report abuse

dannilles in Rolling Meadows, Illinois

54 months ago

Is your hygiene good... do you walk in with a positive attitude (genuine, not faked).

employers can pick up on negative stuff through micro expressions.

Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in Hartford, Connecticut

54 months ago

that's an insulting comment, 1st of all, I think most of us here know to shower and groom ourselves before an interview, 2nd. some of us are LONG past a genuine positive 'tude after 1, 2, 3 OR MORE yr.s of being jobless with rejection after rejection so kinda hard NOT to fake it since it be IMPOSSIBLE to be genuine...

Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I walk in with a generally friendly and forthcoming attitude, but it's pretty obvious that my confidence is shot. I'm sure that I've given the impression a few times that I desperately want the position in question.

I'm not sure when that became a bad thing. Used to be a time, when you had a capable worker eager to work for you and your product, you hired them immediately. Now, they question why and honestly have a negative attitude about it.

Positive/negative attitude works both ways, and I've run into plenty of potential employers/interviewers who start assuming the worst of me/applicants in general. After all, many of the positions in question don't *really* need to be filled, and HR's job is to look busy, not effective. All they have to say is "yeah gosh, we interviewed 10 people but none of them were a great fit." 1-2 months and 4 paychecks for them later, they give off the impression of work and actually got nothing done.

Reply - Report abuse

Cattie in Bronx, New York

54 months ago

TerraLei in Sacramento, California said: I have been looking for a job for over a year. I must have sent over 2000 applications and resumes out to hundreds of different companies. I came from a customer service / call center environment. While I was at my job, I had the opportunity to cross train and learn different skills. I was at this company for over 10 years before they closed our offices and moved them to Texas. I would have thought that since I had worked with a company for this amount of time, this would look good to potential employers. I had gotten a couple of calls here and there but for the last four months I have had no luck. I am wondering what is it I am doing wrong. I have applied for call center jobs with different companies. Oddly enough, I get the response that I am not qualified. Also, I dont understand why companies can not take the courtesy to send an email to say "Thanks but nof o thanks." You spend all that time to applying for the job and submitting the necessary paper. But it is like when there is no response, you feel invisiable

It's best to work with recruiters as they send your resume directly to the hiring manager. When you apply online it goes to the company's blog and there are thousands resume submitted there.

Reply - Report abuse

katyib in Columbia, Missouri

53 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: I could go on and on about all of my experiences with interviewing for jobs, but rehashing all of it isn't productive.

The bottom line is that employers nowadays just don't treat candidates with any sort of professionalism or decorum anymore. I've had employers show up late for interviews. I've had employers not show up for interviews - two days in a row. I've had employers give me second interviews without any notice back afterward whatsoever. The days of knowing you aren't going to get a job for which you took your time to interview are over. You'll never know anything about a job unless you're the one hired for it.

This is the new normal with job interviews. You cannot dwell on it. You can only keep moving forward, as hard as that sometimes seems. These experiences and the battle scars from them have to lead to something at some point, don't they?

I completely understand\. It is very irritating knowing that you will not even get a courtsey call back after completing an interview unless you get the job!! No consideration whatsoever.

Reply - Report abuse

FogCityGirl in San Francisco, California

53 months ago

Yes it is frustrating trying to find out what is going on. Agencies will give you more feedback. I usually get a one line sentence saying they found another candidate to be a better fit. They can afford to be so fussy these days with so many people out of work. Don't give up. Also, try to proof-read your typing, you make a lot of mistakes.

Reply - Report abuse

Naza in Greer, South Carolina

52 months ago

Almost all of the retail jobs posted on indeed.com and other job sites are not really hiring. For over 3 years all the same companies in 5 different states say they are hiring yet they never hire anyone. This happened to myself and 5 of my other friends. We were testing out all these so-called companies that are hiring. They are not. So don't apply to any of the jobs on indeed.com or any of the other sites. Indeed.com and the other sites get paid money to advertise and repost jobs for companies that are not hiring. It is a scam......The Better Business Bureau knows and they are working on suing all these online job sites.

Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in Bethel, Connecticut

52 months ago

Naza in Greer, South Carolina said: Almost all of the retail jobs posted on indeed.com and other job sites are not really hiring. For over 3 years all the same companies in 5 different states say they are hiring yet they never hire anyone. This happened to myself and 5 of my other friends. We were testing out all these so-called companies that are hiring. They are not. So don't apply to any of the jobs on indeed.com or any of the other sites. Indeed.com and the other sites get paid money to advertise and repost jobs for companies that are not hiring. It is a scam......The Better Business Bureau knows and they are working on suing all these online job sites.

I've not heard of this, sure hope not. I use indeed.com 2ce a week for my job search agent exclusively. I had noticed that alot of the jobs posted as "new" had been posted on msn/monster days before, however they have the most user friendly search and I love the "last visited" function with monster and careerbuilder you get like 10 jobs per page which is annoying. I believe there headquarters is in CT so i've been kinda partial to that site plus the DOL and others have recommended it but we all know that doing a jobsearch online is the worst way to go. Most of my interviews have been thru the newspaper actually and the rest from jobs i found thru this site. I only have about 100 jobs to look at every week so it's easy to spot the repeats but i thought it was the companies legitimately rehiring/reposting the job after chosen candidate did not work out. I do not apply to agency jobs unless it's a local agency with an office here.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

52 months ago

Funny, the Dept of Dummies, I mean Labor down here in NY also highly recommends Indeed. Not a bad job site at all this Indeed.

Nick got a job!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

amjad in Fort Collins, Colorado

52 months ago

Heck, i get interviews from oversees but somehow it does not translate into a pay cheque.

This is happening since 2010.

I signed a contract for a teaching position in University in middle east. They never send me the visa and no update

I even got a job from Finland with Meego, they did all paper work to get me a work permit.I got work permit in Feb 2011. And in March 2011, Nokia decided to dump Meego and even though i had a visa, there was no job for me.

Then came a visa interview to sweden at Swedish university. The university arranged the tickets and accomodation for 2 day interview. And guess what Swedish embassy denied me visa saying i was out of job and a potential immigrant.

I just feel i am jinxed. In last 2 years signed 3 job contract, even got Visa for finland, but still hunting for a job

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Ymint in Sydney, Australia

52 months ago

I recently applied for a job and have had 4 interviews, yes, that's right 'four' interviews.

The first 2 were phone interviews, first with HR and second with the Regional Director (both overseas) followed by 2 face to face interviews with different people. The face to face interviews went really well and it turned out that I knew the senior manager who interviewed me, we had worked indirectly together before so he knows that my work is good.

The way they were talking, I was under the impression that the last interview was just a formality and was to 'meet and greet' 2 of the other team members, I was under the impression that I had the job nailed. I was told they would call me at the end of the week (for what I thought would be an offer). They even asked me if I was actively interviewing at other companies because they wanted to know how quickly to move with this interview process.

I got a call the next day and was told that they wouldn't be calling me back with an answer for a week or two as their 'processes' dictated that they had to also see other candidates because I was one of the first people they had interviewed. I was also told that this was 'nothing against me, it's just the process they need to follow'. I was gob-smacked !!!!

Pardon my paranoia but I am wondering if something went wrong during the second interview. I mean, why didn't they know what their processes were before they put me through 4 interviews and telling me that they would give me an answer by the end of the week. I'm really not sure what to make of it. Has anyone heard of this type of scenario before?

In any case, I'm still applying for other jobs while I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Reply - Report abuse

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Missouri

52 months ago

Naza in Greer, South Carolina said: Almost all of the retail jobs posted on indeed.com and other job sites are not really hiring . For over 3 years all the same companies in 5 different states say they are hiring yet they never hire anyone. This happened to myself and 5 of my other friends. We were testing out all these so-called companies that are hiring. They are not. So don't apply to any of the jobs on indeed.com or any of the other sites. Indeed.com and the other sites get paid money to advertise and repost jobs for companies that are not hiring. It is a scam......The Better Business Bureau knows and they are working on suing all these online job sites.

Wow, at least the part about the BBB is true...just checked it, Indeed has an -F- rating (5 complaints). As far as all of these jobs being a scam, obviously it's not true. I usually double check on the employers website just to make sure the ad on indeed is not outdated. Sometimes it is, but usually the ad is good on the employers website as well.

Reply - Report abuse

Lucky Lou in Clovis, California

52 months ago

Maybe because you are a terrible speller?

Reply - Report abuse

Investor Guy in San Francisco, California

52 months ago

Ymint in Sydney, Australia said:

I got a call the next day and was told that they wouldn't be calling me back with an answer for a week or two as their 'processes' dictated that they had to also see other candidates because I was one of the first people they had interviewed. I was also told that this was 'nothing against me, it's just the process they need to follow'. I was gob-smacked !!!!

Pardon my paranoia but I am wondering if something went wrong during the second interview. I mean, why didn't they know what their processes were before they put me through 4 interviews and telling me that they would give me an answer by the end of the week. I'm really not sure what to make of it. Has anyone heard of this type of scenario before?

In any case, I'm still applying for other jobs while I'm waiting to hear back from them.

This same thing happened to me. I thought I had landed the job and then I got the old, we like you but we have to interview other candidates line. I'm sure it could go either way but in my case it did not translate into a job. I think that line is a cop out and while they acknowledge you have some skills you are a 2nd or 3rd tier pick and they want to string you along in case the 1st and 2nd tier picks don't accept the job. In my experience when they wanted to hire me they made it clear I was the top candidate and did not mention interviewing others or waste weeks of my time for formalities to go through.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

52 months ago

Investor Guy in San Francisco, California said: This same thing happened to me. I thought I had landed the job and then I got the old, we like you but we have to interview other candidates line. I'm sure it could go either way but in my case it did not translate into a job. I think that line is a cop out and while they acknowledge you have some skills you are a 2nd or 3rd tier pick and they want to string you along in case the 1st and 2nd tier picks don't accept the job. In my experience when they wanted to hire me they made it clear I was the top candidate and did not mention interviewing others or waste weeks of my time for formalities to go through.

Most of my interviews end with "Well, we have a few more candidates to interview but thank you for coming by".

The next day, I apply for five more jobs. No need to spend time navel gazing - people say a lot of things.

Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Most of my interviews end with "Well, we have a few more candidates to interview but thank you for coming by".

The next day, I apply for five more jobs. No need to spend time navel gazing - people say a lot of things.

Well I'm not letting the grass grow under my feet, I've mentally put this job at the back of my mind and I am keeping the momentum going by applying for 4 more jobs. I had a call back this morning (within 24 hours of applying) from one of jobs I applied for, they asked me a few basic question and said they would call me back soon to fix a time for an interview. I guess this whole experience has been a lesson for me to never take anything for granted until I receive an actual signed contract.

Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Investor Guy in San Francisco, California said: This same thing happened to me. I thought I had landed the job and then I got the old, we like you but we have to interview other candidates line. I'm sure it could go either way but in my case it did not translate into a job. I think that line is a cop out and while they acknowledge you have some skills you are a 2nd or 3rd tier pick and they want to string you along in case the 1st and 2nd tier picks don't accept the job. In my experience when they wanted to hire me they made it clear I was the top candidate and did not mention interviewing others or waste weeks of my time for formalities to go through.

I'm expecting this to be the case, I am expecting to have the rug pulled out from under me. It sucks when they string you along like this though, 2 weeks is a long time to expect someone to wait for an outcome, especially after you've given them high hopes at what you thought was just about the end of the whole interview process.

Has anyone here had the experience of having been through an interview process where there were more than 2 interviews before? I thought 2 interviews were standard practice.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.