Why do staffing firms waste money posting Fake Ads?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 156)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Erin at CCS in Anaheim, California

53 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Stand as firm as you want, Erin. In the meantime, is it not true that recruiters in some shops earn points by hauling in candidates strictly for body count?? Unsatisfactory response. I would sincerely like you to respond to my question (2), above, about recruiters who mine candidates for employer information. Please respond directly why recruiters ask candidates to identify employers to which they've applied. I don't see how where I've applied to work is any of their business.

Happy to reply. When I worked as a recruiter, I always asked candidates where they have applied recently so to avoid duplicate efforts. How dumb would I look (and my candidate) if I referred this candidate to a place he/she already applied? Once again, recruiters only get paid when the place someone - so time is money. I definitely was in no position to waste my efforts...

What point's are you talking about? - who pays for body count? You are absolutely have the wrong information on this one. If you can find a recruiting firm that pays its recruiters for bringing in candidates only and not placements....let me know....I can make millions.

I expect you will still disagree with me - that great news is you do not have to work with a recruiter. I have seen so many of your posts in other forums it sounds like you have had a really hard time with your displacement. Hang in there - positive energy goes a long way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (68) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Forever in Sheboygan, Wisconsin

53 months ago

casey45 in Alabama said: I noticed Erin couldn't answer your question Displaced. Hmmmmmmm...must not be able to conjure up another load of BS.

Well I can she hide the truth. Someday there will be a law in place. Why is it that employers have to post an ad for a job that will be filled by someone who was on a trial basis (temp). When they iterviewed that person before they were brought in by the temp agency, they compared many people, selected the one they wanted, they worked out, and the company wants to hire them. That is false advertising as well. If we only had the money to sue all the agencies that did this we could collect a setttlement fee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Forever in Sheboygan, Wisconsin

53 months ago

I just noticed that you can report fradulant job posting on Careerbuilder. On the homepage, the bottom has a lot of links. Look for "Fraud" and click it and then once you get there, just look at the lower right hand corner of the page you can report a fraudlant job or email. I don't know what Careerbuilder does, but these kind of jobs are posted all the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

53 months ago

Erin at CCS in Anaheim, California said: ob. There is a ton of competition and only the best are even getting interviews. So don’t hate the recruiters, find a way to stand out…if you are the very best at what you do you will get the opportunities. See my other post on how to stand out in the interview….

Mary said: Only the best are getting interviews. LMAO. If they are the best, then why are they looking for a job. That "only the best" is a cliche phrase. Fowler White uses it. School Hiring people use it. Everyone uses it. "Only the best --" at what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

53 months ago

Chicago in Glenview, Illinois said: The LaSalle Network, Ajilon, Adecco, Office Team and Robert Half are NOTORIOUS for posting fake, expired and misleading ads. Every time their recruiters contact me (I don't bother initiating contact with them, it's a waste of time) I NEVER hear back from them.

Wow! Are you kidding me? Thanks for that job search tip! Nothing surprises me anymore, because for over 2+ years I've observed employers I've approached flat out lie, or tell some of the truth, but are still being deceptive, or over all they lack follow through and I keep being blamed for their games. I've read some pretty sick things on here including your post and other posts on here about how bill collectors told people they should skip out on providing for the basic needs of their spouses, children and families, just to make a large payment to them. I even had legal attorneys for bill collectors in this situation tell me I don't need money for gas to put in a car or a car to get to work. To me, I'm like, "For people who are supposedly "desperate" to work out a reasonable solution or a payment plan, you sure don't seem too eager to do so, when you prevent Americans from working by lowering their credit scores and telling them they don't need gas to put in a car, or a car to get to work (so they can work and pay you).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

53 months ago

Chicago in Glenview, Illinois said: The LaSalle Network, Ajilon, Adecco, Office Team and Robert Half are NOTORIOUS for posting fake, expired and misleading ads. Every time their recruiters contact me (I don't bother initiating contact with them, it's a waste of time) I NEVER hear back from them.

This is unbelievable!I do wonder what people like my distressed father who've been demanding answers and a resolution concerning this situation for over 2+ years would think, if he found out this was going on and "employers" were purposely misleading job applicants, stringing them along, and posting fake "job openings" that people including me applied for.

And an additional tip for this job seeking group>>> Concerning Ajilon Staffing agency, this was one of the companies who I took the time to go out to, dress/look nice for an interview for and provide them a nice resume for general office/receptionist/clerical related work. I went in and spoke to and the person I talked to was rude, disrespectful, insulted me and told me that I wasn't what their clients were looking for. And by the way friends, I did go on to work for a Top Public Company in the state where I live. Their loss, not mine. <<<<<

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

whokebe in Silver Spring, Maryland

53 months ago

1) I work in finance. I'm not a headhunter and I agree with you that, by far,a LOT of recruiters are bad.

2) Thank you for proving me right by yet again retelling another one of your stories in some vain attempt to make some huge point.

3) I said "Now, I realize most advice is worthless but you never know when you might come across something worthwhile." So what you're describing doesn't contradict that. If you don't understand why that's true then there is nothing else I can say to prove otherwise.

Good luck with life. You're desire to needlessly argue with people you don't know far exceeds mine. I'm off this weekend and go back to work on Monday. What will YOU be doing on Monday?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed and fogotten about in Harwood Heights, Illinois

52 months ago

If posting a fake ad is fraud, why isn't something done to stop it? You can report it to Careerbuilder, Monster etc., but if they don't publish them, they loose revenue. So they make money by continually posting ads from recruiters and most likely know that they is fake, as I am sure that people have emailed the job boards that post these. I don't see why Robert Half would spend the $ doing this, as it costs money, does it bring a profit by all the compaines they called based on the online posting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sunflower689 in Hicksville, New York

52 months ago

I received a call today from one today regarding a job I applied to online. I did not realize that it was an agency. I guess if people saw an agency name they would not apply, now they are trying a new trick. If they tell you that they are soo impressed with your resume, they are telling you a line. If my resume is soo great how come it isn't good enough for any employers to hire me? I guess to them it isn't that great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiredoftrying in Scottsdale, Arizona

52 months ago

Ok, so maybe I am the dumbest person on the planet, but recruiters place fake ads to get resumes from applicants for the sole purpose of gathering company names/job descriptions so that they can then turn around and contact said company trying to sell said company on staffing services?

And are you all basically avoiding applying through agencies online on job sites?

I had a really whacky thing happen with Kelly Services last year that was just bizarre. Supposedly I was to have been offered this position and then, poof, it just never happened. It was so weird I never followed up on it and just wrote off Kelly Services. I haven't dealt much with recruiters in my life other than normal temp jobs, so I am a bit naive when it comes to all of this discussion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sassyblues in Lawrenceville, Georgia

52 months ago

Here is something that you don't know....they recruit as many people as they can, even though they KNOW that they do not have the jobs there....and guess why???..they get a tax break....yes.....they get you in and at end of the year or fiscal quarter....guess what.....they can write it as a loss...in other words...your pain is their gain.....with the IRS..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Betsy in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

When making a followup call with a recruiter I am already registered with they told me that many people are finding jobs on their own and to let them know when I find a job. So now that you met me you are encouraging me to find something on my own and not bother you only to let you know where I am working so you can network your way into my future employer? If you find me the job you will know when I am working, if I find it on my own, you can just call me when you find me a job otherwise I will not waste my minutes calling you so you can take me off you availabity list.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Recruiter in Raymond, New Hampshire

52 months ago

Hello All,

I am a recruiter and let me tell you something, with the way the economy is right now, I am able to pay my bills with it and in the mean time am able to locate qualified candidates and provide them with employment too. I may not be able to offer a job to all the 100's of resumes I get in for each job posting but I am able to offer it to some people. I do apologize for the lack of effort that some recruiters put into their candidate base but most of us do our best to keep in contact with as many as possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Sad Renee in Skokie, Illinois

52 months ago

You should have told her if you would read my resume you would have seen my qualificatons. Did you ask her if she wanted you to email your references, as that is what they really want? Give her a list of other recruiters in the area, they would be funny if she would call and the joke would be on them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dynamics in Needham, Massachusetts

52 months ago

Recruiters EXPECT the candidate to call them every week or two to let them know they are still "avaialbe" They will only call you when they have something. Most of the time it is a temp assignment that is almost nothing. A one day, odd job that they are having a hard time filling on a short notice. They call, and if you do not pick up they leave you a voice mail, and then immediately call the next candidate till they get someone that answers them right then and there. When you get a voice mail and call them back, they will always tell you that it has already been filled, but they never tell you anything on the voicemail, making you think if you call them back in an hour, you still have a shot. Also a few years back, one of the recruiters called me several months later to ask if I was still available, at that time I already found something on my own and was no long looking. They just want to keep the database current. If I was available, they probably would want an updated copy of my resume, so they have the most current one as well as more contacts for them to work with. Most likely of candidates stop calling after several months (before 2008) they had another job, and it was a sly way to find out where are you working now? That is if the candidate was foolish enough to return the call and give that out. Let me tell you, when the day comes that I land a new job, I will not be calling any of the recruiters I have worked with. I want to see if they ever call back, and how long it takes them to do so. Quite a few will call for their benefit I am sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dynamics in Needham, Massachusetts

52 months ago

Betsy in Chicago, Illinois said: When making a followup call with a recruiter I am already registered with they told me that many people are finding jobs on their own and to let them know when I find a job.

Many people are finding jobs??? That is far from the truth. They are telling you that they really don't want to help you or don't have the jobs to help you. Here are some stats that someone gave me recently:

21 Percentage of workers who were unemployed last August and who had found work as of March 2010. And of those who had found employment, about half were only working part-time.

45.9 Percentage of unemployed who have been out of work for more than six months. That's the highest such rate in at least six decades.

40, 200 Number of minutes per day the average unemployed American spends looking for work and watching TV, respectively, according to surveys.

So in reality only about 10% of the people found a full time job that were out of work since last summer, and almost half of the people on unemployment benefits are on EUC08 or extended benefits. People spend just 40 minutes a day looking for jobs because there are soo little posted, not counting over half the boards filled with Robert Half, Manpower etc. If we have not worked in over 6 months, we sure don't have "current" references for you to call, in some cases our manager could have been swept away with that massive layoff last year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

52 months ago

Five years ago I had been run down by an office manager. I worked for that law firm for eight years. She called every staffing agency in Tampa and St. Pete to run me down. One agency came right out and said my problems with X were too big and they didn't want anything to do with me.

About six months ago, one of the agencies who wouldn't speak with me five years ago called me. She's been genuine to me. She even mentioned Dara. Looks like she finally saw through Dara. She does send me updates about once a month on how the economy is bad and how she wants to get us all jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

From a recruiters perspective:

I understand the frustration of Joanna. I have found some staffing agencies that practice this technique of fishing. The job posting is bait which usually is very generic or has a general statement about a job. You will usually see the same advertisement with several jobs being listed. Such as: Needed- Assemblers 8-10 hr, Warehouse 10-12 hr, Administrative Asst. 10-12 hour etc... If you see these postings they may or may not have anything available. This is used to bring in new candidates and to build their database of prospective employees. I don't agree with the practice especially when you are having someone come in for a job you don't have or they don't qualify for. There is no consideration for their time, travel and other expenses they have to incur to come in.

What does happen with the legitimate job postings are what other staffing members have wrote which is that their was a tremendous response or the job was filled. It can be almost impossible to get back to everyone that applied. With that being said their is no excuse for not getting back to a person that you called regarding a job. I have had that happen to me and I have a complete an utter disdain for the practice. If I contact you and take your time then I have the obligation to at least email you back for closure reasons alone.

Corporate recruiters are just as guilty. I know quite a few major corporations that also practice this. They are not currently hiring but they want to have candidates just in case. So if you are going to target staffing agencies you may want to target them as well.

The best advice I can give is to read each posting, the more info the better, and be careful if you are submitting a resume. Don't put too much personal information on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker in Burke, Virginia

52 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: <Hmmph> Seconded. Some of these people have nerve.

I have been in the IT industry for over 20 years now. Have been unemployed for over 9 months in the DC area. I have noticed that 99% of the jobs posted on DCJOBS.com and Monster.com have been Consultant and all of them have been fake. They post the same jobs over and over again that have been on the job sites mentioned 9 months ago. Is this the way the government has created jobs? I am about to lose everything I have worked for because of lack of work (oh yes don't believe morgage companies wanting to work with you - they will not) and am not looking forward to my family and I living on the streets. Stop posting none existing jobs!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No Reply - Report abuse

John Doe in Buford, Georgia

52 months ago

Erin at CCS in Anaheim, California said: ob. There is a ton of competition and only the best are even getting interviews. So don’t hate the recruiters, find a way to stand out…if you are the very best at what you do you will get the opportunities. See my other post on how to stand out in the interview….

Ha! whatever Erin. You are living in a dream world if you think that only the best get hired...or that these recruiters sit down with your application and really think: "hmm...I wonder how I can get the best person in this job position."

In the real world, staffers are pressed for time, and throw any resume that looks half decent in front of a company and hope for the best. Its not really about queality ...it about how quickly can you get thgat resume across the wires. Not saying these companies will hire anybody, but some of the people I see out there who have jobs (and i don't) really makes me wonder if special education students are given HR jobs...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Truth2010 in Allen, Texas

52 months ago

You said “If you hesitate to screen new people you will lose.”
As a business woman I can understand that position. However when recruiter place jobs that are not real that is call deception, fraud, duplicity and downright dishonesty. People looking for a job are stressed enough! What gives a recruiter the right to get their hops and expectation up over a lie? Just because they are unemployed does not give anyone the right to waste their time.
If you are trying to fill your resume banks SAY THAT IN YOUR AD! I don’t get or respect the dishonesty.
I will NEVER apply for a job with a recruiter, temp agency or contract agency because they are all a big waste of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

The C in SC in Columbia, South Carolina

51 months ago

These temp/staffing agencies need to be regulated and the companies that use them need to looked into. Down here I have been a temp a two high profile companies, and here are some of the things I have witnessed:

***I'll call the companies "Company A" and "Company B".***

1) Even though you maybe looking for FT work, the recruiters will tell you that it is temp-to-hire and that the company hires aggressively.

1A) The recruiters will tell you anything to complete an order and having a warm backside in a seat come Monday morning.

1B) No matter what you are told by the temp agency and/or the company you are working for they will probably not be hiring you. After all why would they buy the cow when they are getting the milk for free?

2) Things I have witnessed as a temp:

2A) Companies will leave you at temp status for an obscene amount of time. I myself have experienced this because I was a temp at one company for more than two years, but there were other temps that had been there three, four, and five years. - "Company A"

2B) They will cut work hours to the point were you cannot survive. I was able to get a PT, 2nd-shift job to make up the difference, but most of the other temps relied on food stamps, subsidized housing, and the like. (Hey Conservatives, instead of yelling at the government all the time why don't you boycott the companies and agencies because they are a HUGE reason why your taxes keep going up to pay for public assistance programs). - "Company A"

2C) They are the exact same as companies that outsource jobs. While at "Company A" they eliminated two departments in their corporate office, laying off hundreds of their own FT employees. The jobs were outsourced to India, many Southerners would no longer shop at this Southern-based retailer if they knew about this.

3) The recruiters DO NOT return phone calls.

4) Temp/staffing agencies post bogus ads. I am still trying to understand their logic in doing this. (Continued)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

(Continued)

5) Wasting your time and gas "interviewing" for jobs that do not exist.

Example 1 - Anything posted by Apple One. To this day I have never met anyone (blue collar or white collar) that has ever worked for them.

Example 2 - I was called in to "interview" at another agency because I was told that that they had a job for me at a medical office. I never heard back from them again until I logged into my online account to update my contact information. The same recruiter called me with the same line about the medical office job, but I shocked and embarrassed her by informing her that I had already been interviewed by her and she told me the same thing the prior month but she never did call me back. Needless to say, she got off the phone very quickly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

(Continued)

6) Not to mention that now some temp/agencies and direct hire companies (especially here in S.C.) are using this practice when hiring: *Google this header:
Out-of-work job applicants told unemployed need not apply*

7) It is hardly ever what you know, it is nearly always who you know or at least who you flirt with and kiss up to!

8) Staffing/temp agencies will do everything withing their powers to keep you from giving you vacation and holiday pay.

8A) "Company A" raised their required hours for vacation and holiday pay to 1850 and changed the start/end date to receive vacation pay from your anniversary date to calendar year.

8B) At "Company B" you can start in a position, but they will let you go and not find anything else for you so your anniversary date resets every time you start/end an assignment. So you never work a full year on an assignment.

I can't think of anything else right now, but I will post it if/when I do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

gmajor7th in 13th Colony, New Jersey

51 months ago

Recruiters are used condoms, worthless. I have dealt with them off and on for four years or so, and as a last resort. They have failed me at all times, and I don't recommend them to anyone, or anything of value.

Well, they could be used to sweep for IEDs in Iraq, that would be a plus actually...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

NOYB in Chesterfield, Missouri

51 months ago

I hear you there Casey-after I was laid off from my last job I turned my careerbuilder/monster profiles back on after updating them and all I ever heard from were recruiters wanting to place me in low paying positions that were an hour's commute for me that were in the not so safe part of the city. Most of the recruiters were not even in the same state and couldn't even give me a good description of the area I would be working in.

I have since turned my profiles off and now just browse/look for jobs on thsoe sites.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

48 months ago

I have found many of these recruiters in this area rude & unprofessional to say the least. Some like 'Robert Half' are down right frauds and others will contact you about a job or a 'Future Position' with one of their clients (but cannot give you the name because it is "Confidential") but need 3 references to call now to they can 'sell you' to 'our client'.
Or they will tell you about a terrific opportunity, how your qualifications are 'impressive', meet with you at their office or for a cup of coffee. Then even when you know the face to face went well you never hear from the recruiter again.
And when you call to nicely follow up say once a week -- they act 'put upon' with the attitude of "How Dare you Contact me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

48 months ago

I spoke with a recruiter who works for a major staffing firm here in Boston. The name of that firm has the initials KF. I asked her about a job post I thought met my qualifications very closely. She told me point blank on the phone that 'we run ads to recruit candidates but we don't actually have those positions available'. She actually told me this. And she works for KF.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

skelly123 in Sacramento, California

48 months ago

OF COURSE THEY BENEFIT !!! THE REASON THEY CALL YOU IN IS TO GET INFO ABOUT YOUR FORMER COMPANY AND HOW THEY CAN GET THEIR FOOT IN THE DOOR. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY DON'T BENEFIT???? FURTHER, I'VE HAD FORMER EMPLOYERS TELL ME THAT COMPANIES LIKE APPLE CALLED THEM AND ASKED 1,000 QUESTIONS, LIKE...HOW MANY EMPLOYEES DO YOU HAVE? WHAT WAS YOUR COMPANY'S GROSS INCOME LAST YEAR? DID DO YOU THIS KIND OF INFO CAN BE SOLD TO DUNN & BRADSTREET? AND IF THE BOSS TRIES TO HANG UP, APPLE THREATENED THEM WITH, "WELL IF YOU DON'T ANSWER, IT WILL IMPEDE XXX'S ABILITY TO GET HIRED BY US." SO WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY DON'T BENEFIT?

Erin at CCS in Anaheim, California said: It sounds like you have had a rough experience with the staffing world. I would have to agree there are many recruiters who lack high standards.

A populated database was NEVER in my sales pitch to potential clients. They could care less about that (where you got this I have no idea)...they want the best qualified candidate. and sometimes recruiter have to kiss some frogs to find the prince. Sometimes if you are a frog you feel like someone is doing something wrong to you. Figure out a way to be the prince.

The job of a good recruiter is to know ALL the players in there industry. So yes, sometimes we get lead or names for the people will interview. It is a high pressure business. You have to be a good headhunter - again if you are the prince these things shouldn't be an issue for you.

But I will stand very firm that in NO WAY does anyone benefit from luring you in for an interview. It may seem that way but time is money for a recruiter, why would they waste time (hours sometimes) evaluating someone they didn't think they had the chance to place. Buyer beware - find the right agency or recruiter...or just NEVER apply for an add that doesn't have a specific company name...that will save all the hassle.

Best wishes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rta bombay in Tarpon Springs, Florida

48 months ago

let them post their fake ads! just dont reply or even better yet send them a fake response back. give them the run around for once! maybe they will get the hint!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tired of trying in Chicago, Illinois

48 months ago

When they call you and ask if you know anyone looking, tell them you know quite a few, give them some names and numbers of other staffing firms, guaranteed that they will never bother you again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

HA ! GOOD ONE! YEAH LET'S GIVE THEM THE RUN AROUND.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Casey in Oakland, California

47 months ago

A few comments:

1) This in no way excuses rudeness on recruiter's parts, but rememeber they run a business, and the clients are the customers, not the jobseekers.

2) Yes, recruiters want employment info so they can call your contacts and market their services, but if you have already applied for a job at a company, the staffing firm cannot get paid for that placement, as the company already has your resume. It would be a waste of time for a firm to send that resume over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

I stated in my reply that it in no way excuses rudeness. We are in complete agreement there.

And I disagree on the second point. It was asked what business is it of a recruiter's where one had already applied, and I explained the two very distinct reasons for doing so.

To re-iterate: yes, a recruiter loves to get leads anyway they can, and will call your old contacts if they think they can get in the door and fill the position you vacated. But they also don't want to send your resume to a place that already has it, because if you get hired there they get no fee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

casey45 in Georgia said: And your comments regarding why they post FAKE ads would be.......

It certanly isn't rocket science. They want a nice big stack of resumes to have on hand, both for employer contacts and to have a large pool of candidates when a job order does come in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Not quite. Moreover, you tried to justify and excuse recruiter rudeness: So?? It matters not if they are running a business or running a marathon. There is no justification or excuse for rudeness to candidates at any time. A candidate's job search is private. It's no one's business but the candidate's. Mining candidates for leads under the guise of avoiding duplication, as you are trying so obviously to justify, is unethical. You should be ashamed of yourself.

No doubt about it, kids. This user is a recruiter.

I am not a recruiter.

And if you are going to quote my posts, please do so complete and in context. I agree with many of your points, but you are also missing parts of the picture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

casey45 in Georgia said: It certainly isn't rocket science. There is no excuse to post fake ads in order to drum up resumes. That is dishonesty at its worst. To make applicants feel like a job exists when in fact is doesn't is dishonest and unethical. Again not rocket science....

I never said I agreed with the process, just giving the rationale behind it. I personally think it is unethical.

47 months ago

casey45 in Georgia said: You cannot rationale doing something unethical. There are NO reasonings for it nor justifications for being unethical and dishonest.

I never said it was a valid reason, I never said I condoned the process. I am simply stating the mindset that drives the actions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

casey45 in Georgia said: And I am simply stating that you can't justify dishonesty.

I completly agree with you. I think that, especially in this market, letting someone think they may be on the path to employment when they in fact aren't is immoral.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Sorry, I'm not sure who you are talking to or about.
Who is a recruiter? And who should be ashamed of themselves?
If you read my posts ... I'm EXPOSING recruiters, not coddling
them. What are you, some kind of a nut?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Wrong again!!! I do not have to quote you in whole, and can do so in PART, to quickly get to the point, as we would citations on legal docs. (I too am a certified legal assistant). I and my colleagues are sitting here at work (at the law firm - not staffing co.) and we still can't figure out what you're on about. Are you defending or speaking against recruiters?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

YES, THEY ARE CLEAR, TRANSPARENT ... AND DANGEROUS!!! THEY'VE JUST BEEN OUTED ON THEIR SECRET ACTIVITIES ... which is ... selling information to DATA COMPANIES, like Harrison and Dunn & Bradstreet. Well, gotta run; going in for a meeting; another breach of contract case. Bye.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Apologies, was on a call.

I am in no way trying to defend or justify shady behavior. I was simply giving the motivation behind their actions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

I understand that, and I agreed with the fact that these practicles are dishonest. I was simply trying to give the explanation behind the behavior.

It is very similar to a used car salesman saying "What will it take to get you in the car today?"

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Here's the thing: all actions, justified or not, have a rationale, flawed or not, behind them.

Not sure why I'm getting so much hostility here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

May I ask what part of me stating I disagree with these practices means that I am condoning them?

47 months ago

1) Explaining a motive does not mean I am agreeing with it in anyway.

2) Being flamed on the internet doesn't mean I'm wrong. Worse things have happened.

3) It's rationalize, not rationale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Except that I am right, the reasons I gave are exactly why they operate the way they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Q: why do firms post fake ads?

A: to bring candidates in for interviews, which allow them to mine for potential clients, as well as build a long list of resumes for any potential opening.

Tell me this is wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

I disagreed with his statement that the only reason a candidate is asked about where they have applied is to mine for contacts.

It is also done to avoid sending a duplicate resume to a client. Recruiters are unable to collect a fee if this happens, so they try to avoid it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.