Will getting Worker's comp hurt you from getting the job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

If employers can find a way to discriminate against candidates, they will.

IMO the only way another employer can find out if you are on WC if you tell them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RecruitingUnveiled in Flushing, New York

22 months ago

I'm not exactly sure how future employers will know you are receiving workers comp. It does not seem legal to me. They may find out once you do a background check, but at that point, you've already gotten the job. I doubt any serious position will ask you if you are receiving it, but stay mum until that point.

---------------------------
Recruiting Unveiled
www.recruitingunveiled.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kiki9 in New Jersey

22 months ago

I'm not sure if any of the following applies to other states, but here in NJ the employer can ask you if you have ever filed a WC claim & the prospective company can have their insurance company perform a check to see if you have. In addition, if you're a healthcare worker licensed by the state (LPN, RN & CNA) it is mandatory that you have a physical before beginning work (That, I would assume is the same in all states) & can also ask you when you have the physical if you have had a previous WC claim, or any prior injuries/pre-existing conditions etc,. All legal.

While I agree, it is an invasion of privacy of sorts, it is also a way for employers to protect themselves & control the cost of insurance. Unfortunately, there are many who "make a career" out of filing WC claims. And if it applies-they are also able to receive a payout of they are out on WC for more than six months. Meaning, lets say someone injures their leg & after 6 months or so they claim they are still unable to work; rather than the insurance company continuing to pay them for lost wages, they assign a dollar amount-Your arm may be worth 15 grand, a knee 20 grand, etc., so they pay them that lump sum of money. That & more equates to a large expense to the employer. I've seen quite a bit of the above personally. I'm not saying that applies to the current situation of course-only that's why employers may feel they have to do it.

In addition, here in NJ, WC claims are considered a "no fault" system. You could lie & still receive financial retribution & treatment. Your employer/insurance co. could lie, refuse treatment etc.,but if you file a complaint with the WC court & your claim is even vaguely legit, the employer & their insurance company have to comply.

With all that being said & I'm certainly not an employment attorney, but I cant imagine a bite on the hand without any lost time would prevent another facility from hiring you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.