Would you work for $10 an hour?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 138)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

FS in Salem, Massachusetts

56 months ago

I'd work for free right now based upon certain conditions. I've had my resume sit in databases with 0 calls from 3 agencies, 1 call from another agency and little interest because I was overqualified 3 times from another agency. I was told 3 times by one recruiter to network with relatives, friends, co-workers from my last employer, alma mater groups (I graduated college in 1993, Linkedin etc. Also was told being unemployed for more than 6 months will hurt me because their clients don't want that. Does she think I'm stupid? I told her if have nothing in 11 months, you know what, stop looking. Your not making money off of me. Also her attitude was like "I'm sorry, its the economy, we have nothing for you, sorry, you should network, blah, blah, blah. This is the only place I can complain, recruiters don't want to hear it, relatives don't want to hear it, unemployment office doesn't want to hear it. So yes I would work for $10 per hour.

I would work for free for 3 months if its related to my field and whoever I report would be a reference for 2 years, supervisor and personal reference whatever its called. So I can add something to my resume. No one showed me how so far. I'll just check with big companies around Boston, MA. If there too busy to read the cover letter then its their loss I guess.

Recruiters and staffing agencies were effective until 2006 for me. After that their attitude and the overall economy have ruined my opinion of recruiters for now. What I described earlier, not returning calls and over posting jobs are the main reasons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

Yes, I would work for $10 an hour, but I can't make more than $980 a month because I'm on Social Security Disbility. If I wasn't, I would still work for $10 an hour, but full-time.

Taking anything that you're qualified for is better than being homeless and out on the street.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

56 months ago

DollyParton is on target. If you were making $16.00 or more, then take a $10.00 an hour job - then that is telling companies, "Yes, I am worth $10.00 an hour." That changes the market rate for an employee to $10.00 an hour. When that person goes to that crap job, a lot of resentment sets in. Why would anyone do a job for $10.00 an hour, that should pay more, and do a great job, just like an $16.00 or more job with benefits.

I am working for $9.58 an hour because it is substitute teaching. Otherwise, I would not. Dolly does not have a negative attitude. She is being realistic about the market, the economy, the company's perception of a $10.00 employee, and her own self worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

DollyParton83 in Hackensack,NJ, New Jersey

56 months ago

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said: DollyParton83: You have a very negative and arrogant attitude! If you don't want to work for somebody else, then go start your own business!

I have a negative and arrogant attitude because I am telling people not to allow these recruiters to abuse their power over them.

Read my thread www.indeed.com/forum/gen/Career-Advice/Why-you-DON-T-accept-low-salary-TODAY-S-ECONOMY/t264468

Maybe you will understand my statements

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

56 months ago

I hate taking a job that pays that low, but when that's all that's out there, not much choice. I think of it as only temporary. I used to make $10 an hour working in a factory almost 10 years ago. Then I went to get a degree and I worked very hard for that. I think it's worth something, especially since it's never cheap to go to school.

My last job paid $10 an hour and they even said it wasn't good pay and then blamed the economy even though they hired a new writer and I'm sure he wasn't working for chump change. My other design jobs paid $11-$13 an hour. The place that paid $11 said they paid me too much. I wanted to tell them to go to salary.com and see that they were paying me less that what is considered entry level pay.

I think my degree, skills and experience are worth more than that, but there's so few jobs out there right now.

Again, yet another reason to be self employed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MRClueuin in Brooklyn, New York

56 months ago

I guess as a Customer Service Rep/Telephone Interviewer perspective I would take a job that paid ten dollars an hour. (If as usually their was nothing else out there.) Because of the type of job exsperience I have when I started out I was getting paid 7.00 per hr. then my next job 7.50, next 8.00 etc.

I've even had a job working for Time Warner for a *NY minute, (*That one is for you Designer Bee. ;) ), that paid 13.50. Only to be told by my co-workers that this wasn't the industry standard.

So for me the question: 'Would you work for 10 dollars an hr?'; isn't really a question for me. The question for me would be: 'Would you go back to work for 7.00 per hour?'

So o.k we all know how much the economy blows right now but I wouldn't go back when I know I can get a gig for a whole lot more than at least 7 per hour. I might swallow my pride for 8 but then it's like I said in my other post at another thread; as long as you don't try to cheat me out of the pay promised I'll be great.

It's the mind jobs when you have the job that get me so...
...there's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Peace,
Clueuin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MRClueuin in Brooklyn, New York

56 months ago

(Correction: if as usual)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jimney cricket in Cumming, Georgia

56 months ago

I was working for $9.00 an hour as a c.n.a. but before I knew it
a r.n would train me for about 5 minutes on the job to do severe wound care, giving shots of morhine etc. I quit and decided to go back to school so I could get paid for what I am really worth. It is very easy to stepped on out on the workforce now if you do
n't have an education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Business Owner in Clarksville, Maryland

55 months ago

I think some of you need to educate yourselves on how business work. If an employee comes in and is paid $10.00 an hour that employee is costing me about $21.00 an hour. How? All the insurance I have to pay. My business brings in about $35.00/hr on average if I break down and get into the nitty gritties so after everything I am only making $15.00/hr.

Also-I'm only 32 and a female running my own business. I used to work at a job makin $50k a year and absolutly hated my job-I up and quit, got a job at a bookstore for $8.00/hr was happy as a clam and then decided to build my own business.

I suggest you look at your life, your situation and your future and decide what you want. Many of my emoloyees making $10.00/hr are people who are building up a resume/exerience and people who needed to get their foot back in the door after being laid off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (83) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I think some of you need to educate yourselves on how business work. If an employee comes in and is paid $10.00 an hour that employee is costing me about $21.00 an hour. How? All the insurance I have to pay. My business brings in about $35.00/hr on average if I break down and get into the nitty gritties so after everything I am only making $15.00/hr.

Also-I'm only 32 and a female running my own business. I used to work at a job makin $50k a year and absolutly hated my job-I up and quit, got a job at a bookstore for $8.00/hr was happy as a clam and then decided to build my own business.

I suggest you look at your life, your situation and your future and decide what you want. Many of my emoloyees making $10.00/hr are people who are building up a resume/exerience and people who needed to get their foot back in the door after being laid off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (78) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

So what are you saying? If I make a small amount of money I will always be happy and if I make a larger amount of money I'll be miserable? That small amount doesn't pay the bills and give me enough money to save for retirement. I also think my education and work skills are worth more than the brainless factory work I did for $10 almost 10 years ago when the cost of living was lower.

I went to school so I could make more money than a crappy job paid. I think I'm worth more than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Thomas in Silkeborg, Denmark

55 months ago

Dollyparton, to advise people not to take a job is a unwise move, sometimes you just need a foot in the door and work your way up. If thats not the plan at least the low paying job provides an income till you find something better. Its better to get some income than nothing even if you are being taken advantage of. Its a means to an end. I agree with Business Owner, you could make a lot of money but if you are unhappy no amount of money in the world will change that. Find a job that gives you some sort of satisfaction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Mitch in the Ditch in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

If everyone starts taking lower paying jobs, then employes will continue to walk all over people, more than they do now. They want college degrees beyond Masters, tons of exp and still want to pay just above miminum. The prices I have to pay for everything keeps going up, I feel that I am getting squeezed and someday people will just get fed up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cna30 in Texas

55 months ago

Business Owner in Clarksville, Maryland said: I'm saying it all depends on the person. I sold my 1.5 million dollar house with my husband and now live in an apartment that costs 900.00 a month. I'm simply sayin it really depends on the person. I have a masters degree in nutrition education and left my job at Maryland state department of education for a job that probably makes half of what I make now..why? because I'm happy. I just think people need to educate themselves on what businesses have to do to keep one person on the field before they complain about their "skills." If I went out in the "real world" right now and got a job in nutrition education I would be too overqualified and I would 100 percent be making less then what my skills are. Why? Because there is a limit to everything. Just educate yourself. You sound like a complete idiot when you speak.

You're right, "it all depends on the person". You state that you had a 1.5 million dollar home that you sold with your husband. That statement right there shows that you have/had an advantage over most working class people. You had a large investment and a second income (spouse). You could afford to accept a lower paying job.

Most people these days do not have anything worth 1.5 mil. to sell and alot of people are single and cannot depend on a second income from a spouse. I don't like to judge people but from what I gather from your post, is you have been a bit priviledged in life. Perhaps had your education was paid for by someone, you married "well", rich parents? etc. I don't know, but before you come here ranting that someone needs to be educated and sounds like an idiot when they speak, look in that mirror and ask yourself do I really have a clue?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (98) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Business Owner, thanks for calling me an idiot, I feel so much better now. I must be selfish for wanting to pay my bills and expect more that $10 an hour. $1.5 million house? Wow, someone is rich.

I feel that my education, talents and skills are worth more than $10 an hour. If I wanted to stay at a low wage than why did I bother with school? Heck, Aldi pays $11 an hour to sit and scan groceries. How much education and skill does that take?

Yes, I know running a business has expenses, but people aren't going to stick around very long when the wage is low. They will just be looking for the next opportunity. What quality of a worker will an employer get when the wage is low?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (80) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Today, there is no such thing as "getting your foot in the door and working your way up."

They'll lay you off before you can move up. No such thing as the gold watch for years of service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Martha in Des Plaines, Illinois

55 months ago

Once you accept a low paying job you are stuck. When future employers ask about your salary history, you state that you made $10 hour then you go and apply for the job with the salary range you had in the previous job at $40,000 they will say that you worked for $20k why are you looking for such a job in pay? They will not be so willing to pay you the $40k even if they are willing to pay in that range. I sometimes feel that they look at all the salary ranges and see who will work for the least and give that person a first shot if other qualifications meet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Frederick, Maryland

55 months ago

I think everyone here has a good point. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I'm 24 and would happily take a $10.00 an hour job if it would make me smile everyday. I left a job making about $40,000 a year just recently because of how stressful it was and the drive into D.C. I live with roomates so the people who comment about having a significant other is completly wrong. You can live with roomates. I live with two 40 year old woman who never got married and we split a townhouse mortgage three ways and it's way cheaper then any apartment in the area. I think business owner is right-you really do have to look at your situation and determine what you want.

If the pay bothers you then don't accept a $10.00 an hour job-if you are like me who does not care then go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

55 months ago

If you're collecting unemployment - then DON'T. I did. I had just started on Emergency benefits, about seven weeks worth. That cost me 73 weeks in unemployment benefits at $275 a week. I got knocked down to $115 a week - with like $1400 left.

Unless recalculation is stopped, I have given up thousands of dollars ($12,000) in unemployment benefits - for a $9.58 hour job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chuck Phillips in Wyoming, Michigan

55 months ago

Jon Boy58 in Denver, Colorado said: I just heard from my neighbor that she found a job. She was looking for quite a while and this was the only offer that she had. She has an accounting degree and was offered a job at a college for $10 working with the students signing up for classes and in the book store. She was making much more in her previous job, but will take it till she finds something better. Is this the going rate for people finding new jobs in this economy?

In this economy $10 per hour is better than $0 per hour. I am in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area, and jobs are scarce. Too many temporary agencies sending people out to work fo $8 per hour. $10 would be more than welcome!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

dallasarea in Frisco, Texas

55 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Today, there is no such thing as "getting your foot in the door and working your way up."

I totally agree with this statement from you in that the phrase is a throw back from 30 years ago! It might be something you can say to a 20 yo new in the job world but not someone with wkg experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Wow, that's ridiculous. I wonder if anyone would take that job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cna30 in Texas

55 months ago

casey45 in Alabama said: I saw an ad, I can't remember where, that was looking for an Executive Administrative Assistant. They required that you have a Masters degree in Business, 10 years experience, and a whole list of other software and qualifications that you were required to have. The ad stated that the pay rate was $8.50 an hour.

Some of these companies are being utterly ridiculous in their "must haves" and then low pay rate.

I just looked at a job posting for customer service rep. It required a degree and the salary was 10,000-12,000 a year!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cna30 in Texas

55 months ago

Oh forgot... also required 2 years experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kat in Frederick, Maryland

55 months ago

Depends on what you do for a living, where you live, and what company you work for. You want to work as a social worker in Washington D.C.? Expect to have a masters degree and making about $28,000/yr and work about 12 hour days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

55 months ago

Business Owner in Clarksville, Maryland said: I'm saying it all depends on the person. I sold my 1.5 million dollar house with my husband and now live in an apartment that costs 900.00 a month. I'm simply sayin it really depends on the person. I have a masters degree in nutrition education and left my job at Maryland state department of education for a job that probably makes half of what I make now..why? because I'm happy. I just think people need to educate themselves on what businesses have to do to keep one person on the field before they complain about their "skills." If I went out in the "real world" right now and got a job in nutrition education I would be too overqualified and I would 100 percent be making less then what my skills are. Why? Because there is a limit to everything. Just educate yourself. You sound like a complete idiot when you speak.

Hmmm...being able to down-scale income may depend immensely on the salary of one's spouse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

55 months ago

kat in Frederick, Maryland said: Depends on what you do for a living, where you live, and what company you work for. You want to work as a social worker in Washington D.C.? Expect to have a masters degree and making about $28,000/yr and work about 12 hour days.

Ouch! I know DC govt was offering 45-50grand for MSWs not that long ago for entry level. But the working conditions aren't so nice. Avg MSW salary in MD now starts at around 40k for entry level. I'm a long-term State social worker and when I when I got my MSW in the 90s the low 20s was a common start; but if anyone is offering 20s for a starting MSW in Maryland/DC now THEY ARE RIPPING YOU OFF!! Even stated of MD starts you at least mid-30s even w/o a license as a caseworker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

matthew hines in cleveland, New York

55 months ago

Someday the working class is going to get a big wake up call and the business men who really run this country are going to be shaking in there boots!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

55 months ago

Economy varies WIDELY state to state now; esp. real estate- a nice single-family colonial in mid-west may go for 150,000; same home and yard on East Coast over 400,000; salaries vary accordingly; national avg. for college-degree unemployment is 9%; high school diploma only is 22.5%- that is BAD!!; and not every degree is profitable- when I got my BA in late 80s it was in Psych- I was lucky to may 6 an hour in mental health jobs!; I made more at 7-11!!
This economy sucks BAD! And if employers are offering low wages, it will never recover- who can afford to buy anything to jump start economy if no one has an money to spend?? I'd say take the 10 an hour if it's enough to pay your bills- in some parts of the country it is! Doesn't mean you have to STOP looking- at this point, unless your employer really goes out of their way for you, there is no longer any need to be loyal to an employer- they'll screw you in a heartbeat, you should always be ready to bail for better job!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

55 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Wow, that's ridiculous. I wonder if anyone would take that job.

That boss probably had a co-workers' daughter (maybe son?) they wanted to do the nasty too, and wrote up the most ridiculous qualifications and salary possible so they could justify hiring a bimbo/manbo!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angellee in Tampa, Florida

55 months ago

$10/hr is better than nothing. I don't get unemployment benefits and never have, but for all those that do, it will run out. They won't let you stay on it forever. I understand that you don't want to mar your salary history, but sometimes you need to take what comes along! $10/hr for a 40 hour week ($400/week) is more than the maximum unemployment benefit ($275/week) for Florida plus you would probably get health insurance, etc. If you can't live on $10/hr then how the heck are you living on unemployment???? You should consider yourself lucky if you're unemployment is more than $400/week, but keep in mind that it WILL run out. I recently took a job that pays $12/hr. This was taking a step back on what I was paid before, but I need to pay my bills and jobs are very scarce(especially for the long term unemployed)! I plan on looking for another job in six months to a year. It's always easier to get a job when you have a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Dallasarea

55 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Totally outmoded concept. It's bad psychology to accept a lesser position and hope and expect to be upgraded. One better be hired for the position one wants. Otherwise one becomes typecast, among other things.

Never believe employers who promise upgrades. They're probably lying.

Hey Displaced: My opinion also. I was in the library a few weeks back and saw a book (newly released, I guess) title "Getting your foot in the door" and from the title I knew the conecpt was rather out dated. This concept (and this is my thoughts here) works for 20 year olds entering the work force and working up from there. I know if you have designs of say being a Project Manager you would not start as an Administrative Assistant, as you will be - in your words one becomes typecast. Unless- you have family members in the company and have an IN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I disagree about getting your foot in the door. I used to work for a major insurance company and many people, both younger and older, moved up in the company by excelling at their entry level job. It's still the same now as it was then. I know this because my sister still works for the company. I think typecasting would happen more in a smaller company or office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

The way I do things in my company is by hiring people no less then $12.00/hr and we have performance meetings every 6 months (June and December). During those evaluations my employees will get anywhere from $1 increase to $5 increase. I have 24 people working for my company and never over hire. I tell my employees straight forward that if you walk in the door of my company you should expect to stay for at a minimum 2 years. My company has been open for 7 years and 20 out of 24 employees have been there since day 1. About half of those people started at minimum wage (Straight out of hs) and now make anywhere from 35k-45k a year depending on performance and job title.

My take home salary for myself is about 30k so I am not here to "screw anyone over." My point to my post was that you need to research the company and get to know who you are working for before anything. Some companies will "screw you" with pay because they are greedy-others do not-they simply just cannot afford it.

It's a no win situation for both employees and Employers because I used to be in the work force and i know not all companies are the greatest to work for-which is one reason I am very good with how I pay my employees. I do not hire someone for short periods of time-If I hire you then I expect you will stay and grow because I do promote within and I promote frequently

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

cna30 in Texas

55 months ago

Business Owner in Clarksville, Maryland said: The way I do things in my company is by hiring people no less then $12.00/hr and we have performance meetings every 6 months (June and December). During those evaluations my employees will get anywhere from $1 increase to $5 increase. I have 24 people working for my company and never over hire. I tell my employees straight forward that if you walk in the door of my company you should expect to stay for at a minimum 2 years. My company has been open for 7 years and 20 out of 24 employees have been there since day 1. About half of those people started at minimum wage (Straight out of hs) and now make anywhere from 35k-45k a year depending on performance and job title.

My take home salary for myself is about 30k so I am not here to "screw anyone over." My point to my post was that you need to research the company and get to know who you are working for before anything. Some companies will "screw you" with pay because they are greedy-others do not-they simply just cannot afford it.

It's a no win situation for both employees and Employers because I used to be in the work force and i know not all companies are the greatest to work for-which is one reason I am very good with how I pay my employees. I do not hire someone for short periods of time-If I hire you then I expect you will stay and grow because I do promote within and I promote frequently

Business Owner that just sounds to good to be true. Well, maybe it is because you stated in a previous post that you start your employees out at $10 an hour. Now, I know in your opinion that I am just a lowly, ignorant, uneducated idiot, but the last time I checked $10.00 is less than $12.00.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

55 months ago

It's all "hierarchy of needs", per Dr. Maslow- I still remeber a few things from school! If you need to eat and pay rent, you take what you can get until you find better! Underpaid but housed and fed is better than not paid, starving, and homeless. If you can meet your bills then by all means hold out until something better comes along.
I've washed dishes and fried chickens before, and if the bottom ever falls out of my profession, I'll do it again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cna30 in Texas

55 months ago

Actually, I would love to make $10.00 an hour. Most employers here want to start out at $7.25-8.00hr. They refuse to pay a penny more. The company I was with for 2 years refused to even give me a .25 raise. All of my evaluations were excellent. I did my job well and never had any problems. I have a college education and experience in my field and I was fed up with my employer taking advantage of me for $8 an hour. I would gladly take a $10 hr. job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sunnidaze in Florida

55 months ago

cna30 in Texas said: You are such a delight. I know how to read and this is exactly what you posted. Including typos...

QUOTE{Many of my emoloyees making $10.00/hr are people who are building up a resume/exerience and people who needed to get their foot back in the door after being laid off.}END QUOTE

Priceless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NOYB in Chesterfield, Missouri

55 months ago

I'd like to respond to the comments left by CNA and desinger bee.

Re: CNA's comment on companies starting at sub-$10/hour wages and not increasing the wage after employees put years worth of time in a company-that was one of the main reasons I resigned from my first job out of college. A $.25 raise is nothing and to continue to offer the same amount after each consecutive positive evaluation shows that you don't value your employees contributions.

Re: Desinger bee's comments: People who graduate from college should expect to be paid more than someone with a h.s/GED level education. I agree with her(?) in what is the point of going to college if you don't make more than someone with a h.s. diploma/ GED. In this screwed up econonmy there are a lot of people with college degrees that can't find work in thier field of study/are unemployed. I imagine there are quite a few that are being turned down due to the fact they have a college degree because hiring managers/HR knows that the applicant with a college degree is going to expect more than someone with just a h.s. diploma/GED.

Designer Bee's comments about the quality of worker attracted to low wage jobs is right on the money. Go ahead and label me an elitist, but from my years of experience in the service industry with raises like I described earlier in this post, I can honestly say that low wage jobs tend to attract the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality employees. As a college graduate with excellent employee reviews and attendance, I don't care for employers who pay less than $10 whose only qualifications are that an applicant have a GED.

These types of jobs also have a horrible turnover rate amongst employees and the workers who actually do their job often end up working more to compensate for the workers who leave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

55 months ago

2 things I've noticed with wages- you need the right SKILLS and the right LOCATION; I could be an expert on oil rigs, (sorry, BP), but living in MD I'll be lucky to get 6 an hour pumping gas, vs. 60-70grand or more in Gulf!; My degrees pay well in MD and states with the right regs; other states don't license social workers and even with a Master's degree I'd be lucky-REAL lucky- to break 30 grand-counting the food stamps!; and now, with our economy tanked, it's bad for people. I see things in my job that I would never have seen just 2 years ago, and even worse there ain't much I can do to help them 'cuz the state cut the funds! that is burn out!!
My big fear- we're going 3rd World- small, skilled/educated elite with 1.5million homes and rich hubbies, calling us idiots and telling us to eat cake; poverty-stricken-looking for next meal people the rest; small, slim group servicing the rich in between; I've beefed up both my resume AND my collection of shootin' irons...and learned how to garden, too...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

kat in Frederick, Maryland

55 months ago

I will agree with you to some extent NOYB. But then again I have my masters degree and left a high paying job because of the stress. I just got myself a job makin $12 an hour up the street from where i live doin something completly differnt and love it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Reggie in Springfield Gardens, New York

55 months ago

DollyParton83 in Hackensack,NJ, New Jersey said: I wrote about this in a previous forum

Under no circumstance, you should work for $8.00 or $10.00 an hour if you have the EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS.

Some of these "hiring managers" think because they offer that amount they are doing these people some justice getting off unemployment.

They want you to work for a low amount but feel that they have the right to work you to death. I know the term if you don't work you starve. These days, if you work for those amounts you still starve.

Ppl can say they will "take anything" but the minute you get up early in the morning, to work yourself to death at a job that pays you chump change, when you have 5-10 years of experience and skill-set, with certifications, and degrees...your paycheck looks like you were flipping burgers at Mickey Ds...Your mindset will change quick.

I agree. After nearly 1yr outta work. I got a gig from an old staffing firm i worked for previously.
The offer $10 for 65 days, then the $32k the co was promising. Was there for 1 week. Was so stressed about their policy. (needless to say didnt work out.) I have MBA level education, certifications, etc...They just want to get u off unemployment. This country is in the dumpsters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

Very discouraged in Scottsdale, Arizona

55 months ago

Reggie in Springfield Gardens, New York said: ********

I agree. After nearly 1yr outta work. I got a gig from an old staffing firm i worked for previously.
The offer $10 for 65 days, then the $32k the co was promising. Was there for 1 week. Was so stressed about their policy. (needless to say didnt work out.) I have MBA level education, certifications, etc...They just want to get u off unemployment. This country is in the dumpsters.

What was the policy that stressed you out and did you lose your unemployment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

It will be interesting to see what jobs people are willing to take once the government stops extending unemployment over and over and over. It will eventually stop and then where will the unemployed elitists be since they've snubbed their noses at the jobs that are available to them? Are we supposed to feel bad when unemployment runs out and you become homeless because you turned down jobs? Maybe you can use your degrees to light the trashcan fire that will keep you warm when you're on the streets.

This type of attitude can only come from someone that has a spouse who makes enough to support both of them. If you didn't, you would HAVE to find work or you would eventually be homeless when unemployment and savings run out. Working is not a luxury for me. I don't have anyone that makes enough to support me while I wait for the "right opportunity" to come along. If you do, good for you! If you don't, maybe $10/hr isn't so bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Angellee in Tampa, Florida said: It will be interesting to see what jobs people are willing to take once the government stops extending unemployment over and over and over. It will eventually stop and then where will the unemployed elitists be since they've snubbed their noses at the jobs that are available to them? Are we supposed to feel bad when unemployment runs out and you become homeless because you turned down jobs? Maybe you can use your degrees to light the trashcan fire that will keep you warm when you're on the streets.

This type of attitude can only come from someone that has a spouse who makes enough to support both of them. If you didn't, you would HAVE to find work or you would eventually be homeless when unemployment and savings run out. Working is not a luxury for me. I don't have anyone that makes enough to support me while I wait for the "right opportunity" to come along. If you do, good for you! If you don't, maybe $10/hr isn't so bad.

I agree with you. I wouldn't mind $10 an hour at all. It beats nothing. I'd like it even better with benefits though.

I think a lot of the people who turn down $10 an hour jobs are giving a lot of the truly hard up people who cannot find work a bad name. But that is just my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Very discouraged in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I agree with you. I wouldn't mind $10 an hour at all. It beats nothing. I'd like it even better with benefits though.

I think a lot of the people who turn down $10 an hour jobs are giving a lot of the truly hard up people who cannot find work a bad name. But that is just my opinion.

I also agree with you. There are people that feel that the long term unemployed are taking advantage of the unemployment compensation system. I now believe that some, not all, are. I decided that $10/hr is the lowest I could go and still make it. Okay, barely, but hey, it's better than minimum wage ($7.25/hr in Florida). Fortunately, I got a job that pays $12/hr, is a very secure position and has great benefits. We all know $12/hr isn't great, but it will keep me afloat for the time being.

The thing that those on unemployment need to remember is that it WILL RUN OUT. You don't want to be frantically looking for a job in the last few weeks IF (I recognize the the job market sucks and not everyone is turning down or snubbing jobs) you can find one much sooner!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

cna30 in Texas

55 months ago

casey45 in Alabama said: I would NOT want to work for Business Owner. Just imagine how her employees are treated since she is calling people idiots here. I wish I knew the name of her business so I can let the public see her postings here.

I think that business is a figment of her imagination. Too many contradictions. Some people like to portray themselves as someone that is bigger, better, wealthier, more educated than everyone else. But in reality it is quite the opposite.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Angellee in Tampa, Florida said: I also agree with you. There are people that feel that the long term unemployed are taking advantage of the unemployment compensation system. I now believe that some, not all, are. I decided that $10/hr is the lowest I could go and still make it. Okay, barely, but hey, it's better than minimum wage ($7.25/hr in Florida). Fortunately, I got a job that pays $12/hr, is a very secure position and has great benefits. We all know $12/hr isn't great, but it will keep me afloat for the time being.

The thing that those on unemployment need to remember is that it WILL RUN OUT. You don't want to be frantically looking for a job in the last few weeks IF (I recognize the the job market sucks and not everyone is turning down or snubbing jobs) you can find one much sooner!

Congratulations on getting the job that you did. I know $12 an hour doesn't seem like much, and it isn't, but in this day and age it beats nothing and you do have security and benefits and benefits are worth a LOT.

I think maybe some are ruining it for others who really are in dire need of the extensions, but it's just human nature I guess. I can see how someone wouldn't want to take a permanent position at a low level wage (as this really sets one back in the labor force) so it's always tricky to know what to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

cna30 in Texas

55 months ago

Very discouraged in Scottsdale, Arizona said: Congratulations on getting the job that you did. I know $12 an hour doesn't seem like much, and it isn't, but in this day and age it beats nothing and you do have security and benefits and benefits are worth a LOT.

I think maybe some are ruining it for others who really are in dire need of the extensions, but it's just human nature I guess. I can see how someone wouldn't want to take a permanent position at a low level wage (as this really sets one back in the labor force) so it's always tricky to know what to do.

Here in Texas $12hr. is quite a bit. I'm wondering if Texas is perhaps behind in the way of salary. I'm just very surprised that $10-12hr doesn't seem to be a lot to many people in this forum. If I told an employer that I expected $10-12hr they would show me the door pretty quickly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cna30 in Texas

54 months ago

kat in Frederick, Maryland said: I will agree with you to some extent NOYB. But then again I have my masters degree and left a high paying job because of the stress. I just got myself a job makin $12 an hour up the street from where i live doin something completly differnt and love it.

Business Owner, oops I mean Kat. You said in a previous post that you didn't get your degree. Now you have a masters degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.