Would you work for $10 an hour?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 137 of 137)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia said: We will never know where that money is being spent. Gee could it have anything to do with so many unemployed not being able to go "shopping" that the state is feeling the pinch? Not to mention all the graft and the hands in the till. Its all a mess!

My grandmother ony went to the 6th grade but she had a good job during The Great Depression. She was a cook at a mental hospital.

She use to say that it took her a few years before she stopped "listening" to the patients as they really didn' make much sense. Even the doctor's learned to ignore grunts and rants.

I wonder if our politicians ever notice an annoying but ever present "hum", like my grandma did. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia

27 months ago

Everybody is just waiting to see whats going to happen. Which way the wind is going to go. Now I know why there is so many part time jobs..... so they dont have to pay! Yet everything continues to escalate! Theres some things in the grocery store I put down like they are on fire. I WILL NOT PAY THAT MUCH! NO! Do without or find a substitute.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

27 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: My grandmother ony went to the 6th grade but she had a good job during The Great Depression. She was a cook at a mental hospital.

She use to say that it took her a few years before she stopped "listening" to the patients as they really didn' make much sense. Even the doctor's learned to ignore grunts and rants.

I wonder if our politicians ever notice an annoying but ever present "hum", like my grandma did. LOL!

By the time one of my grandfathers got to 8th grade, he had a much better education than may folks who now graduate from college.

Government that's accountable? That will keep me either laughing or crying for the rest of the afternoon.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

BUDGET bill on the power just went up $10.00. OHhhhh my ac is on! NOTHING happened this month that didnt happen last month yet when you look at the bill its UP. How could that be? Doesnt matter that as soon and the summer is over and the ac goes off things level out. More than level out cause I dont have the heat blasting in the winter either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Employeers want a better caliber of employees. If they are going to be paying so much for you they want the best. This is where the concept comes from to be PERFECT. They want you to just walk in the door and know exactly what to do. A little unreasonable thats for sure. Nobody is perfect. Especially the idiot interviewing you using STAR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano, Texas

27 months ago

Alice,

What does your husband say about your unemployment?

27 months ago

Husband???? What husband. Its me and me only. Thats why Im so panicked. My friends are helping me and they are already showing signs of getting tired of it. Im trying everything and all I can and still nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy Kay in Louisville, Ohio

25 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Today, there is no such thing as "getting your foot in the door and working your way up."

Big companies are no more. Period. End of story for many cities. To get your so-called foot in the door will just keep you inside the door. Moving up is impossible, in the majority of cases. I once turned down a job like this because I found out at the interview that there was NO WHERE to get promoted to. It was a small office and there was no room for promotion I was told by the interviewer. Being stagnant in a job would get me nowhere after the shine of a new entry level job wore off. And, then what? Start the job hunting process all over again. Making min. wage with a college degree is no where to be after 25 years of being in the job market. Yet, that is all that is out there today for folks like me with no management or supervisory skills. So, how am I supposed to get ahead now? I don't know and no one else cares and I'm getting no help from anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bilfinn in Groveport, Ohio

17 months ago

I think most everyone on this forum never paid attention in math class.
I am an average married guy with 2 kids, a mortgage, 2 cars, a dog and 2 cats. I live in Central Ohio
10 dollars an hour is not only a joke, it's an insult to people's intelligence. In this screwed up job market employers can get away with it, because people are hard up for work, and they can increase the company profits by cutting labor costs. That being said---READ MY LIPS!!!!- you CANNOT live on 10 dollars an hour!!!!!
I should not have to itemize out a months worth of bills- but for the mathematically inept let me give a quick if not incomplete rundown of what it costs to survive, of course not including any luxuries like a new guitar or clothes or (gasp-god forbid, a vacation for the family)
$10@hr X 40 HR= $400.00 wk =1200.00 month
1200 minus taxes@20 percent= $960.00 month
( now I could stop here as my house payment is $1379.00)
Mortgage=$1379.00
Medical Insurance=$320.00
Gas bill= $175.00
Cable, Internet,phone= $140.00
Electric bill= $100.00
Water=$70.00
Trash$35.00
Car payment=250.00
Car insurance=85.00
Gasoline=$200.00
Food and cleaning supplies= 500.00
Credit card payments=$250.00
Co-payments on prescriptions = $80.00
Total=$3684.00 This is a far cry from that $960 take home pay. Please note I have not gone out to dinner or a movie, bought new shoes, clothes, or went on vacation yet.
Please note these are real figures, not made up averages. People need to get a clue. I do not live in the lap of luxury, but live a average life in an average neighborhood. I'm leaving out a lot of day to day costs but you get the idea. Don't believe the lies, it costs more to live than 10@hr or even 15@hr. unless you live in mommies basement or are running up massive credit card debt. Demand more from employers, they don't live on what they want to pay you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

MARIE K in Tulsa, Oklahoma

14 months ago

Angellee in Tampa, Florida said: $10/ hr is better than nothing. I don't get unemployment benefits and never have, but for all those that do, it will run out. They won't let you stay on it forever. I understand that you don't want to mar your salary history, but sometimes you need to take what comes along! $10/hr for a 40 hour week ($400/week) is more than the maximum unemployment benefit ($275/week) for Florida plus you would probably get health insurance , etc. If you can't live on $10/hr then how the heck are you living on unemployment???? You should consider yourself lucky if you're unemployment is more than $400/week, but keep in mind that it WILL run out. I recently took a job that pays $12/hr. This was taking a step back on what I was paid before, but I need to pay my bills and jobs are very scarce(especially for the long term unemployed)! I plan on looking for another job in six months to a year. It's always easier to get a job when you have a job.

I would feel like I was in 7th heaven if I could get a job for $12/hr. 10 years ago I was making $15/hr, however, that job moved to another state and it's been nothing but downhill ever since, not to mention that now I'm over 55 I am amongst the "unemployable".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Thankfully, very few healthcare reception jobs pay less than $10 an hour. Most pay between $11 and $13 an hour and that's what I'm really looking to make with my experience. I'm not entirely thrilled about $10 an hour, but I'd work for $10 if it came down to having a job in an office I really liked and fit in really well at just so I could be employed again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

14 months ago

Bilfinn in Groveport, Ohio said: I think most everyone on this forum never paid attention in math class.
I am an average married guy with 2 kids, a mortgage, 2 cars, a dog and 2 cats. I live in Central Ohio
10 dollars an hour is not only a joke, it's an insult to people's intelligence .

In this screwed up job market employers can get away with it, because people are hard up for work, and they can increase the company profits by cutting labor costs. That being said---READ MY LIPS!!!!- you CANNOT live on 10 an hour!

And this is why the middle class isn't buying anything anymore and why the economy is tanking!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

14 months ago

Angellee in Tampa, Florida said: I also agree with you. There are people that feel that the long term unemployed are taking advantage of the unemployment compensation system. I now believe that some, not all, are. I decided that $10/ hr is the lowest I could go and still make it. Okay, barely, but hey, it's better than minimum wage ($7.25/hr in Florida). Fortunately, I got a job that pays $12/hr, is a very secure position and has great benefits. We all know $12/hr isn't great, but it will keep me afloat for the time being.

The thing that those on unemployment need to remember is that it WILL RUN OUT. You don't want to be frantically looking for a job in the last few weeks IF (I recognize the the job market sucks and not everyone is turning down or snubbing jobs) you can find one much sooner!

You are acting like some of us are getting $300 a week! I am only getting less than $70/wk. How is that for living fat on the cow? I think I'll buy a house with my check next week.

14 months ago

$12/hr is a lot of money. I have never made that much, but I have come close. I'd have to pinch myself if I was offered a job making that much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Bilfinn in Groveport, Ohio said: I think most everyone on this forum never paid attention in math class.
10 dollars an hour is not only a joke, it's an insult to people's intelligence . In this screwed up job market employers can get away with it, because people are hard up for work, and they can increase the company profits by cutting labor costs. That being said---READ MY LIPS!!!!- you CANNOT live on 10 dollars an hour!!!!!
I should not have to itemize out a months worth of bills- but for the mathematically inept let me give a quick if not incomplete rundown of what it costs to survive, of course not including any luxuries like a new guitar or clothes or (gasp-god forbid, a vacation for the family)
$10@ hr X 40 HR= $400.00 wk =1200.00 month
1200 minus taxes@20 percent= $960.00 month
( now I could stop here as my house payment is $1379.00)
Mortgage=$1379.00
Medical Insurance =$320.00
Gas bill= $175.00
Cable , Internet,phone= $140.00
Electric bill= $100.00
Water=$70.00
Trash$35.00
Car payment=250.00
Car insurance=85.00
Gasoline=$200.00
Food and cleaning supplies= 500.00
Credit card payments=$250.00
Co-payments on prescriptions = $80.00
Total=$3684.00 This is a far cry from that $960 take home pay. Please note I have not gone out to dinner or a movie, bought new shoes, clothes, or went on vacation yet.

Dude, you need to go to a money management class. That list is out of control. Cut the fat. I can see a few places where you can do that. Other that that, I agree we need to be making more than $10/hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York said: And this is why the middle class isn't buying anything anymore and why the economy is tanking!

There is no middle class anymore. I think this thread proves it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: There is no middle class anymore. I think this thread proves it.

Not according to Robert Reich "Aftershock" or Joseph Stiglitz "The Price of Inequality". Hence all the vitriolic Class Warfare on the Internet these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: There is no middle class anymore.

I'll agree. Either you're well off and have a lot of money or you're poor, trying to make ends meet or essentially broke and homeless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

cc13 in Naples, Florida

13 months ago

That list is completely accurate! If you even think entertainment/livelihood aren't a bill or an expense you are mistaken. The price of entertainment has gone way up too. I never go to the movies. I would suggest that it might be cheaper to go out for dinner than go to the grocery store however. You can stock up on pasta cheap from the store but how often do you go to the store and spend $60-80 and really didn't get very much? As for working for $10/hour? No way! I'll wait tables instead. I can make the same amount in half the time. The boss expects alot of hard labor for that pathetic wage and no one wants to give health benefits so you won't get over 30 hours. Oh, and they want you to have full availability and no other job or they will fire you. You have to make $50k a year for a single person to be able to get ahead in life and save a few thousand a year. But if you are a single parent with two kids then $50k/year isn't enough. $10/ is $20k/year assuming you get 40 hours/week but you won't because companies don't want you to go into overtime either but assuming you get your 40 hours a week, your take home for the year is still only gonna be a little over $15k. My rent is almost $10k/year. Now add another $1300 for car insurance because their rates have gone up more than 50% in the last 7 years. TV is over $100/month. It's not like anyone just has the basic useless channels anymore. How about things we forget to figure in gifts for birthdays, weddings, new family members, holidays? Gas keeps going up and it levels off higher every year. So grocery prices will constantly go up. Even tolls for driving nickel and dime us a little more every few years. Oh and totally beware of the cops! You don't have to do anything wrong to get a citation from these Gestapos. Or how about if you are dating? That can be over $100 a date! Or just to take your girlfriend out just to get out of the house for a couple drinks and a snack an add up to $40 here, $50 there. $10/hour!?

Todd in Ferndale, Michigan

13 months ago

Is there a reason I can't see the initial post for any of these threads??

As for "would you work for $10/hr?".

Right now in Michigan, you'd be lucky to get a job paying $10hr.

I realize some people are on the coasts where $10/hr is really low, but the rest of us can't find jobs for more than min wages, $7/hr.

I saw an ad on craigslist for a Little Caeser where the employer was yelling in the ad "you better be committed to this job". Then goes on to say the job requires the person have a car for independent transportation. It was for 25 hrs/week. And it paid $7.40/hr.

$10/hr, full-time, is a dream for many people. Even educated, highly educated people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dyntucker in Westminster, Maryland

6 months ago

Well I was making good money so I haven't changed that much in a few months, guess what wages have just fallen to 1970 wages. Get used to it. We would have to work for $ 4 an hour if they could. I can't hold out any longer I have to take a low paying job. The government knows that if they don't extend the unemployment they can force wages down pretty quick. That pumps up companies that needed a break on their payroll but does nothing for us. We are in bad shape and it is getting worse. Food is so high and nothing matches the wages.

Max Metro in St Louis, Missouri

6 months ago

Assuming you've had previously successful (higher paying) jobs, If you take a low paying job for any measurable length of time, you will be screwing yourself good. It will be extremely difficult to recover.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NachoLibre in Cincinnati, Ohio

6 months ago

In good times, it can take 6 months to find a new job, but I think all on this board would agree with me that we're not in "good times". $10/hr is not a good wage but a job is a job. I would say take it UNLESS accepting unemployment benefits will pay you more, and if you take that low wage, you can still continue to look for something better. Times are hard, and lots of us are working for less than we want to. The $10 job you reject today may be the only job offer you get for many months, so keep that in mind.
As for those who say "turn the job down as a form of protest" - you're not hurting the employer, you're only hurting yourself. The employer has the power over the masses when it comes to setting labor wages. Employees can unionize (we know how that has worked), they can organize, they can try to organize themselves in terms of saying what they will or won't tolerate, but the economy has become SO weakened and the jobs situation has become SO frail that turning down a job due to a philosophical position will hurt you more than it will help you. Your stronger fighting position is to take the low-paying job, pay your bills, and work from that fortified position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

NachoLibre in Cincinnati, Ohio

6 months ago

And also keep in mind: if you're relying on unemployment to pay your bills, and those funds suddenly become unavailable, what power will you have then?

disappointed in Beaumont, Texas

6 months ago

cna30 in Texas said: Here in Texas $12hr. is quite a bit. I'm wondering if Texas is perhaps behind in the way of salary. I'm just very surprised that $10-12hr doesn't seem to be a lot to many people in this forum. If I told an employer that I expected $10-12hr they would show me the door pretty quickly!

I'm in Texas and as a recent college graduate, I'm very disappointed in the fact that I just took a $10/hr job. Who goes to college to make $10/hr?!?!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ital in Barrie, Ontario

1 month ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: I hate taking a job that pays that low, but when that's all that's out there, not much choice. I think of it as only temporary. I used to make $10 an hour working in a factory almost 10 years ago. Then I went to get a degree and I worked very hard for that. I think it's worth something, especially since it's never cheap to go to school.

My last job paid $10 an hour and they even said it wasn't good pay and then blamed the economy even though they hired a new writer and I'm sure he wasn't working for chump change. My other design jobs paid $11-$13 an hour. The place that paid $11 said they paid me too much. I wanted to tell them to go to salary.com and see that they were paying me less that what is considered entry level pay.

I think my degree, skills and experience are worth more than that, but there's so few jobs out there right now.

Again, yet another reason to be self employed.

The governments plan is to get people educated which in turn will put you in debt. On that note due to the expensive cost of living, it forces people to take low paying jobs because it forces you to keep working and pay taxes...so who wins in the end? the government, and we work until we die...never getting ahead...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ital in Barrie, Ontario

1 month ago

GOVERNMENTS DONT WANT WELL INFORMED, WELL EDUCATED PEOPLE CAPABLE OF CRITICAL THINKING. THATS AGAINST THIER INTERESTS. THEY WANT OBEDIENT WORKERS, PEOPLE WHO ARE JUST SMART ENOUGH TO RUN THE MACHINES AND DO THE PAPER WORK. AND JUST DUMB ENOUGH TO PASSIVELY ACCEPT IT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leeann66 in Ontario

1 month ago

Ital in Barrie, Ontario said: GOVERNMENTS DONT WANT WELL INFORMED, WELL EDUCATED PEOPLE CAPABLE OF CRITICAL THINKING. THATS AGAINST THIER INTERESTS. THEY WANT OBEDIENT WORKERS, PEOPLE WHO ARE JUST SMART ENOUGH TO RUN THE MACHINES AND DO THE PAPER WORK. AND JUST DUMB ENOUGH TO PASSIVELY ACCEPT IT.

This may be the best comment I have seen on this forum yet. You have hit the nail right on the head.

Leeann66 in Ontario

1 month ago

Ital in Barrie, Ontario said: The governments plan is to get people educated which in turn will put you in debt. On that note due to the expensive cost of living, it forces people to take low paying jobs because it forces you to keep working and pay taxes...so who wins in the end? the government, and we work until we die...never getting ahead...

You can't go bankrupt with a student loan for 10 years in Canada. It is one of the most evil debts someone can have.

Ital in Barrie, Ontario

1 month ago

Leeann66 in Ontario said: This may be the best comment I have seen on this forum yet. You have hit the nail right on the head.

Thank you....

in addition to it, it all boils down to the government forcing education down people throat, handing out thousands in tuitions clearly knowing how the economy is, putting people in debt, and forcing them to work minimum wage jobs which makes people keep paying those constantly increasing taxes, yet never get ahead. Cause if we get ahead, we wouldn't need to work those dreadful minimum wage jobs 12-13 hours per day. What ever happened to 8 1/2 work days and lunch breaks? Not sure what's happened to this province of Ontario, but every employer seems to want people with experience, but they don't want to pay for it. Resumes and experience is becoming a big waste of time. Advancement in a position no longer exists. Meanwhile everything just keeps getting more and more expensive...its safe to say Canada in general could be sealing its fate. But does anyone in the corporate offices care?, nope..cause they are too busy focusing on their $40,000 a year pay increases on top of their already well off wages of $120,000 per year salaries, full benefits and paid vacations.

Riot in Massachusetts

1 month ago

Leeann66 in Ontario said: You can't go bankrupt with a student loan for 10 years in Canada. It is one of the most evil debts someone can have.

You can't discharge student loans in bankruptcy AT ALL in the US.

Ital in Barrie, Ontario

1 month ago

Leeann66 in Ontario said: You can't go bankrupt with a student loan for 10 years in Canada. It is one of the most evil debts someone can have.

That is really dirty...I have never been so proud of myself, I am so glad I never got suckered into that education hype when I was younger. My girlfriend is a nurse. With an education under her belt and sitting on a $60,000 tuition to pay back which is next to impossible because of the interest, she is forced to accept $17 per hour in the medical field.... Just a few years ago she was making $29 per hour.....cut cut cut cut cut Ontario...way to go!!! lets go backwards instead of forward and lets force people to work till they are 80 yrs old.....smart move...

I never thought id hear myself say this but stay OUT of school kids...save your money! and your time...
School is nothing but a daycare center when your young, and a money making misleading business when your older. Stay away....because its not what you know, its who you know that gets you ahead in life.

I say we all claim bankruptcy, and go on disability/welfare...that should tune their waggons. If we all stop working, taxes cant get paid and maybe then the government will open its eyes.

Leeann66 in Ontario

1 month ago

Riot in Massachusetts said: You can't discharge student loans in bankruptcy AT ALL in the US.

Even scarier!!! It's doubtful that 19-20 year olds understand the ramifications of this. I was 16 when I got my first student loan for $7,000.

Leeann66 in Ontario

1 month ago

Ital in Barrie, Ontario said: That is really dirty...I have never been so proud of myself, I am so glad I never got suckered into that education hype when I was younger. My girlfriend is a nurse. With an education under her belt and sitting on a $60,000 tuition to pay back which is next to impossible because of the interest, she is forced to accept $17 per hour in the medical field.... Just a few years ago she was making $29 per hour.....cut cut cut cut cut Ontario...way to go!!! lets go backwards instead of forward and lets force people to work till they are 80 yrs old.....smart move...

I never thought id hear myself say this but stay OUT of school kids...save your money! and your time...
School is nothing but a daycare center when your young, and a money making misleading business when your older. Stay away....because its not what you know, its who you know that gets you ahead in life.

I say we all claim bankruptcy, and go on disability/welfare...that should tune their waggons. If we all stop working, taxes cant get paid and maybe then the government will open its eyes.

Ontario is really trying to stick it to the nurses. They are trying to get more RPN's educated, so they can replace the RN's eventually. Our health care system is one big joke. I read an article a couple of months ago. It said that Ontario will eventually end up bankrupt. I can totally see that now. As my friend who just moved to Alberta said "Ontario is the arm pit of Canada."

Ital in Barrie, Ontario

1 month ago

Leeann66 in Ontario said: Even scarier!!! It's doubtful that 19-20 year olds understand the ramifications of this. I was 16 when I got my first student loan for $7,000.

First student loan?.....theres more?????

What's even scarier is the government knows the younger generation doesn't see or understand the concept of a work/life balance or the full aspects with regards to the costs of living. I feel for them...

EndlessJoy in Atlanta, Georgia

1 month ago

If you are about to be bankrupt it will pay to take that 10 p/hr job. It will hurt you going forward with unscrupulous and greedy employers who may want to use the information to keep you at a lower wage - surmising that if you will work for 10/hr they shouldn't have to pay you much more than that. They call this dog eat dog world, I think.

Leeann66 in Ontario

1 month ago

Ital in Barrie, Ontario said: First student loan?.....theres more?????

What's even scarier is the government knows the younger generation doesn't see or understand the concept of a work/life balance or the full aspects with regards to the costs of living. I feel for them...

I received about $9,000 in total. So, I owed $9,000 in student loans by the age of 17. I had dropped out of high school at 16 and went to hairdressing school. Had I not received the money, I would have eventually went back to high school.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.