background check good sign?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 69)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Deb in Wallingford, Connecticut

82 months ago

I interviewed (second) and then they called me later to say they forgot to get the background check paper signed. That was it. Been 4 days now....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (169) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

M in Hampton, Virginia

74 months ago

I find that more and more companies are requiring a background check, even for admin and secretarial jobs! I too had a bg check form filled out and my friend said, "Oh, if you had to sign a form for the bg check, you're in!" Needless to say, I didn't get the job and I probably have a ding on my credit report now. In fact, a lot of places these days have you fill out consent to a check BEFORE they offer you the job! I think that's a little extreme. Employers should only have people fill out background checks if they're making an offer, in my opinion...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (135) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

TYOUNG in Savannah, Georgia

73 months ago

WAITING ON A COMPANY TO OFFER ME A JOB.THEY DID THE BACKGROUND CHK CAME BACK FINE. I CALLED TO SEE IF IM GOONA BE OFFERED THE JOB I WAS TOLD THEY ARE WAITING ON A COUPLE OF OFTHER CANDIDATES BACKGROUND CHECK AFTERWARDS THEY'LL MAKE A DECISION THEN. WONDERING IF I'M IN THE RUNNING

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (163) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

HR expert in San Diego, California

63 months ago

AW in Atlanta, Georgia said: I had a 2nd interview and the company (insurance) is conducting a background/credit check as we speak.My credit is not that great since I have incurred some late/non-payments as I am unemployed.

Does anyone know at what point employers draw the line regarding the credit report?

Ususally they look at 50% of your total trade as the cut off point

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

AW in Atlanta, Georgia

63 months ago

Thank you both for the information.

Just received info from the employer stating that the "final step in the hiring process" is the drug screening and to be on the look out for a notice to get the drug test.

Should I take it then that they are done with the background/credit check?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Rune in Lake Worth, Florida

63 months ago

yeah

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

AW in Atlanta, Georgia

63 months ago

Thanks everyone for the information.

Was offered the job today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Brooklyn, New York

60 months ago

I went on the first interview and the job was almost handed to me except that they wanted to do a Background check. HR called me on Monday afternoon requesting my date of birth and told me that it takes 2 to 3 days for background check to come in and that if it comes back ok then I will receive an offer at the end of the week. the end of the week came and went and I didnt hear from anyone. Could it be that I might hear something this week? If I dont get hired will they call me and let me know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (254) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

displaced, former middle class in Detroit, Michigan

41 months ago

Thank you for the Congrats! I'm sure they will run a credit check to obtain the company credit card. This will be a challenge due to my job loss over the past year and half and difficulty meeting payments on bills. Should I tell them this before the bg check? I would think they would do this before making the offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Brooklyn, New York

37 months ago

Rae in North Arlington, New Jersey said: I just interviewed with a retail store that told me once they run my background check they will contact me to do orientation/training. I've consented to background checks for past employers before. I was just wondering if this means ive defiantly gotten the job?

I am in the same situation somewhat. It is usually a very good sign if they run the bg etc. Usually companies dont run them on people that arent going to get the job. I would be suprised if their was anyone else in the running. At least that is how I usually handle hiring.

Since they told you about orientation etc I would say your in. I hope im in. I have been waiting 3 days with no concrete offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Destined4More in Houston, Texas

36 months ago

I have mostly worked in fortune 100 companies, and if they are going to trust you to make good decisions than your overall personal life needs to be in order. Even if you are out of work, they feel you should have had money in savings to hold you over until you have a new job.

The person with a good credit score (in their eyes) is less likely to become desperate and commit fraud. Even if you are an administrative assistant, you have access to a corporate credit card and some executives give their assistants personal information such as SSN, date of birth to handle passport renewals, etc. So even if you are a good employee but have negative marks on your credit report they would rather hire someone who seems to have their life together and knows how to maintain during tough times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

35 months ago

I'm sorry, but how does a person think he has a Bachelor's degree when he does not? Surely a red flag has gone up in the prospective employer's mind. It goes to honesty, trust and credibility, and it will make them question what else you haven't accurately represented.

With all the people out there who are unemployed, you'd be lucky to still get this job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in Marietta, Georgia

34 months ago

Cynthia in Brooklyn, New York said: I went on the first interview and the job was almost handed to me except that they wanted to do a Background check. HR called me on Monday afternoon requesting my date of birth and told me that it takes 2 to 3 days for background check to come in and that if it comes back ok then I will receive an offer at the end of the week. the end of the week came and went and I didnt hear from anyone. Could it be that I might hear something this week? If I dont get hired will they call me and let me know?

Sometimes it can take weeks or months to do a background check because of the resources these days. They normally give Background Investigators Approx. 2 weeks to investigate the individual and bring their findings to the manager and the managers make the final decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

IslandStyle

34 months ago

Hannah in Los Angeles, California said: I feel differently. If you know you can do the job and do it well telling a white lie here and there to get the job is smart. I've done so in the past to land jobs and almost all of my past employers begged me to stay when I left. I'm good at what I do and I would never let something that has no signicance in whether or not i can provide the requested services for an employer hold me back if I can help it.

It's called having ethics and a persons courage to tell the truth about the most minimal things says a LOT about that person. I'm assuming your position was not of one that required high amounts of responsibility/trust so it's easy for you to recommend lying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Hannah in Los Angeles, California

34 months ago

IslandStyle said: It's called having ethics and a persons courage to tell the truth about the most minimal things says a LOT about that person. I'm assuming your position was not of one that required high amounts of responsibility/trust so it's easy for you to recommend lying.

Also when you know the truth will hinder your ability to get a job you know that you can do and very well and you need an income and have yourself or a family to support. A person with common sense will do what they need to do to get that job and will prosper. There is a time and a place for everything. Having common sense dictates how to know when to or not to do something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Matthew McKelvey in Clarksville, Tennessee

34 months ago

I applied for a job and had my second interview, did the drug test and the interview was good. They were very pleased. HR said they would call me back and said they would contact me in a few days. I waited a week and called them. They said I was red flagged and did not get the job. I do not have a record of any kind and when I asked them regarding the red flag, they said they didn't know what the red flag was regarding. Please tell me what I should do to find out what my next step is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

IslandStyle

34 months ago

Hannah in Los Angeles, California said: Quite the contrary. My positions required a great deal of trust and responsability and are high level positions hense the need for the occassional white lie.

I disagree I do not consider that to be a lack of ethics. I consider it having and using common sense. If I know I can do the job as well as or better then the next person I do use common sense in regards to obtaining the position.

I also have very high morals and work ethics and treat my positions as I would if I owned the companies myself hense my track record with amazing references and multiple employers trying to win me back after I decided to move on.

I do not take my career or my work lightly however I disagree with those that say that a person doing what they need to do to obtain a position under certain cirucmstances is such a bad thing. Many employers overlook fantastic potential employees based on what I consider many times to be silly criteria. That's my opinion.

Hannah I don't know you so for all I know you could be an amazing person but you don't see the irony/hypocrisy in recommending one tell white lies all while claiming to be an ethical person?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

When I got hired at the market research firm that laid me off back in January, I had to have a background check for one of their projects. This company does telephone surveys for the Federal government. At the same time, they called me for another project where I didn't have to have a background check. Unfortunately, they finished up project where I had to have the background check.

I know it's hard, and it's a very rough job market, but let's face it; companies have to protect themselves. That's why they do background checks. They want somebody who is trustworthy and that's the bottom line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

IslandStyle

34 months ago

Nansila private sector workers get off easy as long as you aren't a criminal and have decent credit you're good to go. It's crazy what extent the Federal government goes to grant just a simple SECRET security clearance. They check your medical records, interview past employers, ex wives/husbands, etc etc etc. Of course at a tremendous cost to you and I (taxpayers).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Over twenty years ago, I went to check out a temporary position with one of the banks here in Philadelphia. As part of their hiring process, they had to do a credit check on you. I refused to let them do this because I felt that my credit history was none of their business. I didn't know it then, but I sure know it now.

Let's face it: my credit history is terrible. Like millions of other people in this country, it was caused by periodic unemployment; as well as working at these part-time, low-paying, and temporary jobs with no benefits; making it very hard for me to pay my rent and bills. Since I'm on SSDI, paying my rent now is no problem. But my other basic bills (cellphone, electric, and so forth) I can only pay on the third of the month, when my SSDI comes. When I was still working, I was able to pay them on time.

I won't even apply for a job where I have to handle money. I can't even handle my own money; let alone somebody else's. I guess now that my credit history is public information, so if they want to do a credit check; that's fine. It's better that they find out sooner than later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

itzpms in Madison, Tennessee

34 months ago

rangatang in Loves Park, Illinois said: Just got a offer letter for a job but a contingency background check and drug test is required. I went and did my drug test and it is pending results right now, but my background check came back and have some discrepancies in the academic section. Looks like that I am 14 credits short in getting my Bachelors Degree while I thought I did have my degree, but they can verify my other school from which I had my Associates degree. Now the recruiter is red flagging this saying that I have documented that I have a bachelors degree, but the results states that I dont. I called the school about this and they told me that I dont hold a bachelors degree and that I am 14 credits short!! OMG!! Its been 5 years ago that I thought I completed this program, but looks like I may have to finish this up!

Does this look like a job that will be jeopardized or I may still have a slim chance in landing this? The Recruiter is currently reporting all this to her manager and will notify me with more details to come. I just hope it all works out well.

i thought school records were confidential?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

BWD3 in Peachtree City, Georgia

32 months ago

Bernie Madoff
Michael Milken
Richard Fuld
Lloyd Blankfein
Jamie Dimon
Hank Paulson
Timothy Geithner
... and The Ben Bernanke

*ALL* would have passed any pre-employment background check thrown their way -- credit, references, criminal (except for Bernie lately).

So much for that flawed school of thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

desperate for work in Kansas City, Missouri

32 months ago

Ive been on umemplyment for a yr and got an offer of employment for the county i reside in, contingent on background check. Today i received an email (after i contacted them) from HR stating there was a discrepency in my background check on what they found vs what i stated. Honestly i didnt think i would get the job so after my interview i filled a piece of paper on background n put it in an envelope and gave it to them. After offering me the position HR said we will mail out your background check now. So here is the thing, i have a DUI from yrs ago and when asked if i had any prior convictions im sure i put down "no" b/c it usually says anything other then a traffic violation. Plus the job has nothing to do with driving. I REALLY NEED this job and want to know if there is ANY way i can salvage this and explain to HR that i didnt intend on lying. Pleeeeeeeeese help asap. They want a respone in a wk n the job starts o the 9th. Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

32 months ago

BWD3 in Peachtree City, Georgia said: Bernie Madoff
Michael Milken
Richard Fuld
Lloyd Blankfein
Jamie Dimon
Hank Paulson
Timothy Geithner
... and The Ben Bernanke

*ALL* would have passed any pre-employment background check thrown their way -- credit, references, criminal (except for Bernie lately).

So much for that flawed school of thought.

You know the old HR joke? Even Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer had jobs. Ha!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fogcity Girl in San Francisco, California

32 months ago

I have had interviews where they request you to sign the background check document then, so I figure they will do it. I don't like to sign something where they just have it on file for later. Hopefully they are interested!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

32 months ago

Fogcity Girl in San Francisco, California said: I have had interviews where they request you to sign the background check document then, so I figure they will do it. I don't like to sign something where they just have it on file for later. Hopefully they are interested!

Everybody has to consent to a background check but it is only done AFTER you have been interviewed and they have decided that you are a contender.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jordan in Boulder, Colorado

32 months ago

Matthew McKelvey in Clarksville, Tennessee said: I applied for a job and had my second interview, did the drug test and the interview was good. They were very pleased. HR said they would call me back and said they would contact me in a few days. I waited a week and called them. They said I was red flagged and did not get the job. I do not have a record of any kind and when I asked them regarding the red flag, they said they didn't know what the red flag was regarding. Please tell me what I should do to find out what my next step is.

You failed the drug test or it was too dilute.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

TB in NB in New Braunfels, Texas

31 months ago

I interviewed and received a written offer for the job based on a drug and background check. Drug test will be fine but I do have a few (two) dings on my credit report that are very old and getting ready to roll off as it's been almost 7 years. I also had a DWI 22 years ago, but I did put that on the application.

Should I be worrried??? All my other credit obligations are in good order and my credit score is high enough to receive credit cards again.

The position is not a "High" level position, but rather a foot in the door type of position with a company with lots of growth opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

TB in NB in New Braunfels, Texas said: I interviewed and received a written offer for the job based on a drug and background check. Drug test will be fine but I do have a few (two) dings on my credit report that are very old and getting ready to roll off as it's been almost 7 years. I also had a DWI 22 years ago, but I did put that on the application.

Should I be worrried??? All my other credit obligations are in good order and my credit score is high enough to receive credit cards again.

The position is not a "High" level position, but rather a foot in the door type of position with a company with lots of growth opportunities.

I wouldn't worry about something that old. All of us have dings on our credit now.

Now if you are applying to the FBI, all bets are off. Heh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

When I was hired as a call center operator back in 1997, I had to take a drug test, which was no problem. I don't take, and would never even dream of taking, illegal drugs. I do, however, take prescription medication and I ask them about it.

As far as bad credit goes, they're going to have to refuse literally millions of people in this country jobs because nobody has "perfect" credit. Don't these companies realize that we're in a recession? Millions are people are losing their jobs; making it hard for them to pay their bills, and not their fault. So now I have to have "perfect" credit in order for me to get a job?

Employers today are living in a dream world. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: companies today want the "perfect" person. Well there is no "perfect" person. Nobody's perfect. Only God is perfect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said: When I was hired as a call center operator back in 1997, I had to take a drug test, which was no problem. I don't take, and would never even dream of taking, illegal drugs. I do, however, take prescription medication and I ask them about it.

As far as bad credit goes, they're going to have to refuse literally millions of people in this country jobs because nobody has "perfect" credit. Don't these companies realize that we're in a recession? Millions are people are losing their jobs; making it hard for them to pay their bills, and not their fault. So now I have to have "perfect" credit in order for me to get a job?

Employers today are living in a dream world. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: companies today want the "perfect" person. Well there is no "perfect" person. Nobody's perfect. Only God is perfect.

Heh! I had one interview where, I casually asked, when they thought their decision would be made? The interviewer smile at me and said, "We are in no hurry. With 3 million homeless people, I am sure we will find someone".

Many people have not been affected by The Great Recession and could care less about you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

That's brutal, Bluetea, but I've witnessed similar behavior in interviews. They just don't empathize at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Dublin, California

31 months ago

I interviewed for a position in a a large biotech company last month. They contacted me in a week and said if my background check goes well, they will offer me a job. HR asked my salary requirement as well. Now it's been three weeks I have not heard back from them. I know I don't have any problem with my credit or any other legal violations. What chances do I have to get this job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

A background check can take as long as a month but I wouldn't wait around. Not only did they ask you what your salary requirements are - they ask 5 other applicants that quesiton.

What do you think they will base their decision on? Keep applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

eeyore in Raleigh, North Carolina

31 months ago

I have a pending conviction for "Larceny from Employer". Court date is 2/7/2012. I recieved a job offer on 1/15/2012 pending a background check. They are still doing the background check so I was told by the DM. It has been 14 days. There is no way it could take that long right? The DM has e-mailed me every week to postpone our orientation. Anyone know what they would see for a charge but no conviction?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

soozy in Grand Prairie, Texas

30 months ago

Hi all - Is it common for a company to request a background check on a prospect employee even before offering the job?
I recently interviewed with a company, and after the 1st interview they requested a background check. I went to the second interview, but they haven't confirmed if I got the job yet. Do you think I will get the job? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gbam in Concord, California

29 months ago

Matthew McKelvey in Clarksville, Tennessee said: I applied for a job and had my second interview, did the drug test and the interview was good. They were very pleased. HR said they would call me back and said they would contact me in a few days. I waited a week and called them. They said I was red flagged and did not get the job. I do not have a record of any kind and when I asked them regarding the red flag, they said they didn't know what the red flag was regarding. Please tell me what I should do to find out what my next step is.

I believe they are required to disclose the reason. Sounds like HR there has no idea what they're doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

beejer52 in Indianapolis, Indiana

28 months ago

A few days after an interview I was called and ask if I was still interested in the position. Saying yes, I was told that once my background check was complete, they would write me an offer letter and I was given my start date. I know my references were contacted and I also received a call from the third party company conducting the background check, verifying my dob as they had it 10 years later than it actually is and could not verify my education. I provided the correct info and they seemed surprised. (I am 10 years older than they thought). It has been 3 days and I have not heard anything futher, nor received the formal offer. I am giving it to the end of the week (2 more days) but now I wonder about my start date? If I have not yet received an official offer of employment, am I held to the original start date? In my mind, I should have two weeks once an offer is made and I have accepted. As far as I know, maybe they changed their mind once they were aware of my age. Although I did have a one on one with the employer and it's not like they haven't seen me. Guess I do look younger than I am.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hopeful in Upland, California

26 months ago

Will A Company Be Ok With A Wet Reckless In A Background Check, Especially If They Are Not Doing A Credit Check And Drug Test? My license is currently suspended, I will be getting it back in November and I will be off probation next June. will this affect my chances if the position does not deal with driving at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

26 months ago

what's a wet reckless? is it a misder or felony?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hopeful in Dallas, Texas

26 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: what's a wet reckless? is it a misder or felony?

A wet reckless is a lesser charge than a d.u.I. but it still shows up as a misdemeanor. I mean companies have to know that bad things can happen to good people....they liked that I am working towards my Masters degree, I'm bilingual, etc... any feedback is helpful.. thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

ALAK KUMAR PANCHADHYAI in Calcutta, India

26 months ago

In my view during pharma project all back check should be in spot check only,nothing any phone call,because the doctors are very busy and responsible persons,so don't disturb every time,if phone call repeatedly they are angry and refused further interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JS in Las Vegas, Nevada

25 months ago

I have been interviewing with a national organization (3 interviews). They flew me in for the final interview (I think there was only one other candidate), took me to dinner and a tour of the offices and introduced me to the employees. I was told at dinner they would be back with be pretty quick (one said a week. Then I was notified they were doing the background check. Two weeks later I get an email from the company who did the search notifying me that the search was completed. Everything came back clear or confirmed, one hit on a one person consulting job I did,..but the company clarified that they simply could not confirm this because I did not have a business license or employees. I did offer news clips on events I did to show that it was valid. Two days after the email the HR department on the east coast called to say they were just offering a status and to tell me I was still "very much in the running for the position and for me to feel free to call if I have any questions and I should hear back in a couple of days." I didn't. It has been 6 days since this call. This is a great opportunity and needless to say I am anxious. What the heck is going on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Council Bluffs, Iowa

25 months ago

In my opinion, if a prospective employer gives you the run around, (using up your valuable time you could have used looking elsewhere for work) and then decide you are not even worth contacting to tell you they have selected someone else, they don't deserve a thank you for the interviews.
Why does the applicant always have to be the "professional"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

JS in Las Vegas, Nevada

25 months ago

AW in Atlanta, Georgia said: I had a 2nd interview and the company ( insurance ) is conducting a background/ credit check as we speak.My credit is not that great since I have incurred some late/non-payments as I am unemployed.

Does anyone know at what point employers draw the line regarding the credit report?

Not all background checks include a credit report and you can specify that only a criminal and work background check me conducted. I never agree to a personal credit check. From my perspective it is intrusive and a violation of my privacy,..particularly if the position you are applying for has no relevance to that personal credit history--in terms of your ability to do the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Well, what happened, JS? At this point, by my count, you have to be at least 6-8 weeks out from the initial interview, if not more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JS in Austin, Texas

25 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Well, what happened, JS? At this point, by my count, you have to be at least 6-8 weeks out from the initial interview, if not more.

They called me three days ago and said that they offered the position to someone local. Seems I was the standby while they negotiated locally. I think I would have much preferred honesty. How about this: "JS we really like you and consider you one of the most qualified candidates we looked at, however we are negotiating with someone locally--as from a economic standpoint it just makes good sense (no relocation costs)--we would like however to keep you as our second choice should this not work out." I would have respected their honesty and known not to get my hopes up. Very disappointing on several levels.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

JS in Austin, Texas said: They called me three days ago and said that they offered the position to someone local. Seems I was the standby while they negotiated locally. I think I would have much preferred honesty. How about this: "JS we really like you and consider you one of the most qualified candidates we looked at, however we are negotiating with someone locally--as from a economic standpoint it just makes good sense (no relocation costs)--we would like however to keep you as our second choice should this not work out." I would have respected their honesty and known not to get my hopes up. Very disappointing on several levels.

Coming in second in a one horse race is the same as coming in dead last.

If you are doing relocation, say, "Will Self-Relocate" somewhere on the resume or app. Many companies today, don't want to hear about reimbursing your relocation expenses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa Lunce in Orrville, Ohio

24 months ago

I had the exact thing happen to me. It wasn't until a year later that someone told me what was red flagging me for jobs. While I didn't have a criminal record, it seems that backgroundcheck.com had attached a file with 3 felonies to my name that weren't mine. I was horrified! I had to go through their dispute process and received written verification that the charges aren't mine. Nevertheless, the person's name is the same as mine. Her birth date is the same as mine and apparently her social security number is very similar. The charges still crop up on my background checks and I always have to head them off with an explanation and a copy of the letter they sent after my dispute. I'd pay for a background check on yourself to make sure that there isn't anything on it that shouldn't be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Seymour, Connecticut

24 months ago

melinda witter in Dublin, Ohio said: If a background check reveals negative information which causes the employer to deny you a job, then the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires that the employer must reveal the negative information to you, and where he got it. Then you have a chance to refute wrong information that is contained in any employee background search, or searches backgroundsearch.com done by creditors or landlords.

Background check isnt a credit check...its a work history check and criminal history check. They arent allowed to check your credit unless you are planning on working with money, i.e., a bank.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.