In danger of losing Unemployment Compensation due to a company I never worked for.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

SuzyQ918 in Hatboro, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

I was laid off from my job as of 9/1/2012 and have been collecting unemployment compensation. In December, I went out on a limb and applied to a position that was unrelated to my work experience, and was hired on the spot (they must've been desparate for help). I took the drug test and passed. I trained for two days with no pay. After the second day of training, I decided that the job was not for me, and chose not to start the job.

Dept of Labor & Industry showed this company as my ex-employer. I explained that I never worked there, and the Dept of L&I agreed that I should continue to receive unemployment.

The company that I never actually worked for has appealed the decision stating that I failed without good cause to accept suitable work. I am now in danger of losing my unemployment, and have to go to a hearing in two days.

Why would they do this??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kiki9 in New Jersey

15 months ago

Because technically, you did work there, even if it was only for two days.
And you did quit, which very well may have been the right decision, but still makes you (in most cases) ineligible to receive unemployment.

See what happens at the Hearing. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

15 months ago

A big reason that a company would contest paying unemployment is simply because it would drive up the companies unemployment rates. I had a company contest paying me UE after I had actually worked there for 10 months and they had laid me off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

SuzyQ918 in Hatboro, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

They shouldn't have to pay into my unemployment. It should still be through my REAL ex-employer.

And besides all this, the position was for part-time work to supplement my unemployment. The whole intention of the job was to make extra money and not have it effect my UC benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

SuzyQ918 in Hatboro, Pennsylvania said: They shouldn't have to pay into my unemployment. It should still be through my REAL ex-employer.

And besides all this, the position was for part-time work to supplement my unemployment. The whole intention of the job was to make extra money and not have it effect my UC benefits.

Thats not how UE looks at it. You will have a hearing but say that you didn't think you were qualified for the job or something. Right now, it looks like you are turning down work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.