How to decline a job offer while already signed and accepting it. since I have come accross a better job offer from another firm

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Salah in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

41 months ago

Please can somebody give me advice. I have accepted a job offer A and now i want to decline it because i got another job offer B from another company.. I am fully satisfied with offer B and want to accept it and decline the offer A. What should I speak to the employer A. is there any legal obligation by rejecting the accepted offer letter? I am very confused.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1832) / No (352) Reply - Report abuse

Salah in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

41 months ago

Actually still I have not sat down in this boat. But I am working in Company A and I have submitted my resignation with 30 days notice period 15 days before, because I signed the job offer letter from Company B. and i told them I will join you after the resignation period finished.I mean that i still have 15 days to join Company B.. but i received a call from Company C and they are giving me a golden job offer which I will receive today or tomorrow. so I want to decline the offer B. Because the C is more beneficial for me in every type which you mentioned. if i want to decline the offer B So what the story should i tell them. Lie or truth? I hope you have got my point..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (303) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

NMK in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

27 months ago

rakeshsharma2297 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates said: one of my friend has accepted and signed an offer in dubai a week before and have been been offered by another company better salary and growth prospects. What are legal consequences if declines the signed offer as per the UAE law to the first company?

I am in the same boat..in case you have got some information..do share with me..thanks in anticipation....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Teflon Cat in Columbia, Maryland

24 months ago

I was in the same scenario as you 4 weeks ago. I accepted the position with the company that was responsive, and easy to deal with. Think about it once you start working with company A, would you be happy if this is how they treat you now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Confused in Australia

24 months ago

I am going through this now. Serving my last few days in Company A. Emailed company B and called them too. But they are trying to scare me saying you are burning all bridges here. Company C is their competitor and I am a little worried, if the HR have contacts with each other and might call company C HR. I've already been blacklisted by company B now whether I accept or reject.

Not a fun time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

wonderland in Colorado

16 months ago

Similar Situation in New Hope, Pennsylvania said: Also, I really didn't intend to use this as a way to get a raise or anything. All I wanted to do was to be able to move to a new state. If my current company had just said "sure, no problem" and transferred me, I wouldn't have even applied to the new position in the first place. Ugh.

I am in a similar situation now. How did you handle it eventually?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Jury 14 in Hartford, Connecticut

16 months ago

From what I gather:

Accept an offer, the first one you get. A bird in the hand, as they say. Or a dog with a bone. Then figure out if the second opportunity is better. Try to stall signing the first offer letter, if you can, so it doesn't look as bad, or stall your start date.

The second "offer", if you actually get it, will then be the one you need to make sure is absolutely perfect if you're going to back out of the first offer. In the end, 90% of the time you will burn a bridge with the offer you accepted and reneged on. If you work enough tact in, let them know your dream job came through, etc etc, you MAY be able to save your relationship with them, but they'll still always look at you funny. Also, everyone who said "it's just business" is right. Do what's best for you and look at it not from a personal stand, but a professional/business one.

Your company will not have your best interests at heart when it comes down to it. Only you will. GL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Red in Mississauga, Ontario

16 months ago

I have same situation, At Company A now, doesn't like it so much, got an offer from Company B, it sounds good but I'm hesitate to sign.. after struggling for weeks, signed in but still not feeling comfortable if it's the best I got. It's signed anyway cause afraid to lost it after deadline. 2 days later, interview with Company C, it's the best among the three but have to wait 2 weeks if offer will come. Should I say no to Company B now (2 days after offers signed), or wait until Company C offer come. I know the best is to say no to Company B now but kinda worry if Company C will take me. And feel bad to company B if I don't give them a clear answer now.. Life is tough.. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jury 14 in Hartford, Connecticut

16 months ago

Red in Mississauga, Ontario said: I have same situation, At Company A now, doesn't like it so much, got an offer from Company B, it sounds good but I'm hesitate to sign.. after struggling for weeks, signed in but still not feeling comfortable if it's the best I got. It's signed anyway cause afraid to lost it after deadline. 2 days later, interview with Company C, it's the best among the three but have to wait 2 weeks if offer will come. Should I say no to Company B now (2 days after offers signed), or wait until Company C offer come. I know the best is to say no to Company B now but kinda worry if Company C will take me. And feel bad to company B if I don't give them a clear answer now.. Life is tough.. :(

This isn't the toughest part about looking for a job, trust me. Others would LOVE to be in your position.

However, I'd say just wait it out. When does the job start with the offer you signed? If you haven't started working at the new job, you have time to wait it out. Maybe start a "biding war" with company B since you don't like it. If they rescind, it's no loss anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Red in Richmond Hill, Ontario

16 months ago

company B start in 2 weeks, however, haven't heard of any update regarding my background check.. I heard job isn't official until background check is done. I'm not familiar with hire/offer process. Should I resign once offer is sign or after company said everything is good with some confirmation letter or email?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Red in Richmond Hill, Ontario

16 months ago

Also, friend told me company may file a lawsuit to you since you back out from signed offer, for their time and money lost, whatever... anyone had that kinda of situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Looking in Saginaw, Michigan

16 months ago

Red in Richmond Hill, Ontario said: Also, friend told me company may file a lawsuit to you since you back out from signed offer, for their time and money lost, whatever... anyone had that kinda of situation?

They could, but they won't. Their damages could be no more than a few thousand dollars, possibly much less. Lawsuits are expensive, and they aren't going to bother. It's simply not worth the legal fees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Looking in Saginaw, Michigan

16 months ago

Regarding the OP, I am potentially in the same position. I have just accepted a reasonable job offer from Company C and am awaiting background check before getting the formal (written) offer. If I accept that in writing, then I will do final drug screen/medical exam before starting.

The great thing about Company C is that it was only 6 days from initial phone screen to verbal job offer.

I applied to Company A five weeks ago, and after a phone screen and a "video-response" interview, I had the on-site interview 4 days ago. Decision won't be for "at least" another week, but this job would be the most pay.

I applied to Company B four weeks ago. Phone interview, wait a week. On-site interview, wait a week. Back in to meet the "big boss" and get benefits summary. Wait a week, call, get paperwork for background check and return it within 4 hours. Wait a week. Ask about progress--"still waiting on background check." But what Company B has NOT done is actually offer me a job or mention a salary figure.

I almost didn't go to Company C's interview because I was "sure" I was getting an offer from Company B, and I was still looking forward to the interview at Company A. Now I am almost sure to turn down Company B regardless of their eventual offer.

My worry is that Company A will finally come back with the best offer, perhaps 35% above Company C. Based on the consensus in this forum, I will decline Company B and accept Company A if it is in my best interest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jkljkl in Bristow, Virginia

14 months ago

I was told by company A's recruiter that they could only give X yearly, and that they could not do what I was asking Y. So, I signed an offer letter for X with company A, and am now waiting for my clearance to transfer, which .
However, I received a call from company B's recruiter, who said that Y was in their range, and wanted to submit me to their hiring manager for an interview with client A, whom I already interviewed with, when I interviewed for the position for company A.
Company A is a sub-contractor for company B which is the prime on the contract.
It seems like company A lied and lowballed me, and I took the bait.
So now, what can I do to get closer to Y?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jkljkl in Bristow, Virginia

14 months ago

jkljkl in Bristow, Virginia said: I was told by company A's recruiter that they could only give X yearly, and that they could not do what I was asking Y. So, I signed an offer letter for X with company A, and am now waiting for my clearance to transfer, which .
However, I received a call from company B's recruiter, who said that Y was in their range, and wanted to submit me to their hiring manager for an interview with client A, whom I already interviewed with, when I interviewed for the position for company A.
Company A is a sub-contractor for company B which is the prime on the contract.
It seems like company A lied and lowballed me, and I took the bait.
So now, what can I do to get closer to Y?

Oh BTW. I'm almost positive that company A and company B are recruiting for the SAME positions on the SAME team

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Princess in Yonkers, New York

13 months ago

In a flourishing job market, which today seems to be case, I think this is more common -- especially when one has been laid off and is looking, they are going to apply to multiple jobs. Like others said, while you want to be respectable and ethical with firms the bottom line, this is your life, you need to go with what you think is best for you long term. I was once in a position of negotiating an offer (via a recruiter) and finally getting to the right terms when another offer came in that was my number one preference. I called the recruiter and them know another offer came in which just better suits me overall that I plan to accept. The recruiter went ballistic on me, said I was doing a terribly unethical thing, etc. (I had not signed yet but in terms of negotiation I expect some time was put in). There's nothing you can do except apologize, express your regret and move on. If you are sure the next job is going to be the one for you, chances are you will be there for at least a few years and this will be behind you.

No one will sue, someone above said it correctly, it isn't worth their time or money. In the overall picture, you are just a bump in their road.

I searched around (since I'm once again in the market) about this situation as I'm applying to so many places at once and this can happen again to me, who knows. The second route you take (if you accepted an offer already) is follow through with it but after a short time let them know the job was not what you envisioned and not really for you. You can say it would be better for both the company and yourself if they looked for another person, give 2 weeks notice and then work out your start date with Offer B to accommodate this.

I know there's all variations of this situation but in the end as I said, if I had accepted an offer but another came in that was superior I would take the plunge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dilemma in Saint John, New Brunswick

11 months ago

I'm in a similar vote as numerous people here.

Currently, I am doing am eight week position to end at the end of August which I enjoy tremendously (in the city that I am currently living in). I had interview with and received an offer on a Friday with a start day two weeks weeks later in City A (an hours drive away). The company met the salary expectation and the benefits are acceptable but they require me to relocate. Although I prefer the the job, and I'm willing to travel for the probationary period, I'm hesitant to commit to relocating until after the the period has ended. This is due to the fact that as with any position, there is no guarantee. At the same time, I had hoped that to fully complete the eight week term but they had an urgency for me to start. (Originally, it was the Monday after the interview and the offer letter but I had enough respect for the current company to which I work for.)

I also unofficially received an offer with the same start date in City B (an hour and a half drive away) which involves shift work. I am willing to relocate due to the fact that my extend family and significant other is living in the city but I'm hesitant to accept the position because it is not in the field to which I have studied for.

There are several positions (included several government positions) to which I have recently applied for in the current city to which I live in but I am current waiting for the actual interview. The recruiter/interviewer is schedule to return on the date to which I am expected to provide my answer to the company located in City A.

I know what I should do, and there is never an easy answer to the question. I'm hoping in the intern, I hear back regarding the other positions I had applied for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lally in Austin, Texas

11 months ago

Many people to have the similar problem of being offered two jobs after already accepting to the first.

Though I haven't seen how anyone has actually contacted Company A about declining the position. Can you write an email? I've searched the internet for a sample letter to use as a template, but haven't found one.

I'm in the similar position. Company A offered me the job a few weeks ago, pending a background check, and then didn't start the background check until last week. Weirdly the same day Company B offered the job. I don't even have a contact person at Company A to email/phone minus a random HR person. Is it acceptable to just email that person?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

KeepAHappyFace in State of Confusion

11 months ago

Lally in Austin, Texas said: .... I don't even have a contact person at Company A to email/phone minus a random HR person. Is it acceptable to just email that person?

Sure. It's not like you're ever going to be offered a job by them again anyway so don't worry about it too much. Just be professional and let them know that you've accepted another offer that better fits your long-term goals. Or if the reason you prefer Company B is money come out and tell the HR person you've accepted a better paying position elsewhere, that might at least wake them up to the fact that they need to be more competitive in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.