How do I handle two interviews progressing at the same time?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Chap442 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

82 months ago

I have two job interviews that are both progressing. Interview one is nearing the final stage. Interview two is about a couple of steps behind in the process- however interview two is the most desire position.

How would you suggest handling the process? I am concerned I will get a job offer from interview 1 before interview 2.

Is it possible to tactfully slow the process down on the first interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alan in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

Hi Chap...hopefully you got one of the jobs. For anyone in the future who reads this question...I suggest that if an offer is ever extended...NEVER tell them that you need to think about it. You always accept...you can always turn it down later. Keep in mind that when an offer is extended, you've just beaten out X amount of other candidates...by telling the new employer that you need to think about it, you're letting the air out of the balloon...they want to offer the job to somebody that is extatic to receive the offer. Continue with the other interviews and if a better offer comes to you...just explain to the first offer...as you know I've been interviewing with many companies and I just got a much better offer and I have to accept it...they will understand (they will also be dissapointed, because they obviously love you). I've seen too many times someone not accept the job because they were expecting another offer and they never got it...and they end up losing the original offer.
You also want to ask for more money...but there is a way to do that...that's for another post.

interviewthebest.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

saipeople in Secunderabad

80 months ago

Hi Chap...hopefully you got one of the jobs.I think there is no harm of having more jobs in hand at a time.My suggestion is go and win every option.After winning,it is in your hands that whether to accept it or reject.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Worried in Jasper, Georgia

64 months ago

Same situation. Interview 1 this week interview 2 next week. I really want 2 but getting better read from 1. Considering pulling my app at 1. Making a mistake?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Worried in Savannah, Tennessee

64 months ago

Would your suggestion change if I told you I was already employed by company 2?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Here's hoping in Soldotna, Alaska

44 months ago

Is it acceptable to postpone a decision for logistical purposes? I'm getting a call today and I have another interview next week in another state, is it acceptable to put off the decision until next week due to logistics?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Here's hoping in Soldotna, Alaska

44 months ago

Also, is it acceptable to be honest and tell Company A that you have another interview scheduled and you'll give them a decision at the end of next week?
Any advice would be appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

44 months ago

Chap442 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: I have two job interviews that are both progressing. Interview one is nearing the final stage. Interview two is about a couple of steps behind in the process- however interview two is the most desire position.

How would you suggest handling the process? I am concerned I will get a job offer from interview 1 before interview 2.

Is it possible to tactfully slow the process down on the first interview?

This is actually the problem you want but you will never get this to sync up.

You take the first job that you are offered. Period. If the "dream job" happens to come through, within the next 30 days, you quit the first job and take the other one.

The odds are that the "dream job" will never come through but this is how you handle it, in case it does.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.