How does Temp Agency work?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (43)

Californian in Hayward, California

24 months ago

Temp To Permanent means it's temporary with a very small chance of it being permanent. Don't count on it and don't let it be used for rate negotiation.

Second, a temporary rate does not equal a full-time rate. People tend to think $20/hr, that's $40K/yr, and it isn't. You lose out on benefits, holidays, vacation, etc. Some of them offer benefits but you have to be there for a certain amount of time to get them. You usually aren't and they're usually pretty poor.

Third, I've NEVER had a recruiter meet me at the job site. They always want you to drive to their offices even if they're a 2 hour drive away, if they just have to meet you. That must be a new account with a lot of potential, right next to their offices, or, their office is a single desk with 4 phones on top of it. And, it's not that rare to never even meet the recruiter. Even the one's who say they never do it, do it all the time.

Fourth, if you are getting $20/hr, odds are the company is getting at least $35/hr.

Oh, and finally, make sure you are on W-2 and not 1099. That's usually not a problem unless you are on the higher end of things and I believe it's mostly in technology where that's done and then, usually, that's what the contractor wants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

wendyy in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

I got a call today from a staffing company about a full-time, temporary job lasting one month. I'm currently on unemployment and am wondering how that will affect my claim. I have worked temp-to-perm jobs in the past where I was hired, but I'm sure the rules have changed over the years. Also, I was never on unemployment before.

I have an interview with the temps client Monday. If offered, should I take the job? Completely new at this! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Thanks, jenab. I tried calling for about an hour, finally got through at 3:55 only because they close at 4! I'm also debating whether or not to mention this to the contact at the temp agency. I'll try calling unemployment again Monday morning before the interview. Any information is greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

22 months ago

wendyy in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania said: Thanks, jenab. I tried calling for about an hour, finally got through at 3:55 only because they close at 4! I'm also debating whether or not to mention this to the contact at the temp agency. I'll try calling unemployment again Monday morning before the interview. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Oh, how frustrating! Hopefully you can get through on Monday.

Good luck! If they've provided a job description, try to practice how you might answer some basic interview questions based on that description. Even if you don't get it (or can't take it), it's always helpful to get some practice in with interviewing. Thinking good thoughts for you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Yeah, I'm feelin' kinda rusty at the moment! :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Call your local UI office (there should be a number on your statements/check stubs/profile) to verify.

UI is managed regionally, and there can be significant differences even county to county and the rules can change (especially with this whole "fiscal cliff" bruhaha).

I suggest calling and explaining you haven't yet been offered but you just want to know the rules. And note the date/time you called and to whom you talked to just in case.

But don't give them your name. In Colorado, you are REQUIRED to take any job offered to you if it pays at least as much as you are receiving in unemployment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

22 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: But don't give them your name. In Colorado, you are REQUIRED to take any job offered to you if it pays at least as much as you are receiving in unemployment.

Same here, although they tack on "suitable" and after a certain period you have to consider jobs that pay less than your last rate of pay (as long as their "suitable"). You just have to have really solid reasons for it being unsuitable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sharon in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

I have my resume on several job sites. I applied on-line for a position at an insurance company. I was contacted by a temp agency about the position. The recruiter told me it was a temp to hire job that would convert to a permanent position in approximately 3 months. I'm concerned because the recruiter told me I would be called the next day for a phone interview with someone from the insurance company. That never happened. I emailed the recruiter and she said the insurance company didn't need to interview me because my resume showed I had just the kind of education and experience they wanted. When I asked for clarification on the job description, she said she would email it to me today. It's now after 5pm and I haven't received anything. I'm getting very skeptical about this temp agency because of their lack of follow through. I thing they're just stringing me along and perhaps they don't even have this job available. I've never gone through a temp agency before and I could really use some advise from someone who has.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Oh, how frustrating! Hopefully you can get through on Monday.

Good luck! If they've provided a job description, try to practice how you might answer some basic interview questions based on that description. Even if you don't get it (or can't take it), it's always helpful to get some practice in with interviewing. Thinking good thoughts for you!

Jenab, interview went well, or so I thought! They went with someone else. Onward and upward!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

22 months ago

wendyy in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania said: Jenab, interview went well, or so I thought! They went with someone else. Onward and upward!

Glad it went well. Sorry to hear that they went with someone else. Onward and upward indeed!

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

sharon in Chicago, Illinois said: I have my resume on several job sites. I applied on-line for a position at an insurance company. I was contacted by a temp agency about the position. The recruiter told me it was a temp to hire job that would convert to a permanent position in approximately 3 months. I'm concerned because the recruiter told me I would be called the next day for a phone interview with someone from the insurance company. That never happened. I emailed the recruiter and she said the insurance company didn't need to interview me because my resume showed I had just the kind of education and experience they wanted. When I asked for clarification on the job description, she said she would email it to me today. It's now after 5pm and I haven't received anything. I'm getting very skeptical about this temp agency because of their lack of follow through. I thing they're just stringing me along and perhaps they don't even have this job available. I've never gone through a temp agency before and I could really use some advise from someone who has.
IMO agencies generally are a waste of time. This insurance situation is total BS. Move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Audio visual tech in Boston, Massachusetts

17 months ago

Hey, I just got a job through a temp agency with a 6 month temp-perm job working for a big company. the pay seemed dramatically low and i took it because i had no other job. should i start looking for another job now? I would love to get hired directly but i cant live off this pay with a BS exp. etc.... last jobn i had was double the pay almost and the same job excatly... please help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Audio visual tech in Boston, Massachusetts

17 months ago

Hey, i have dealt with some temp agencies in the past and some won't even call you back, some will say they have a job to get you in the door but not even a descriptive of the job itself. be VERY skepticul of any agaencies. they are the middle men of the operation and get a big cut for it. im working at one now and getting cut salary wise big time. but im doing it because i think i will get hired directly from the company. i would keep going and not even think twice about that agency that said they would call you because if they were serious they would of! i suggest do not even talk to the agencies! they suck! ask if they are a staffing agency first thing and if they say yes then dont bother! unless you are really desperite like myself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

17 months ago

Audio visual tech in Boston, Massachusetts said: Hey, i have dealt with some temp agencies in the past and some won't even call you back, some will say they have a job to get you in the door but not even a descriptive of the job itself. be VERY skepticul of any agaencies. they are the middle men of the operation and get a big cut for it. im working at one now and getting cut salary wise big time. but im doing it because i think i will get hired directly from the company. i would keep going and not even think twice about that agency that said they would call you because if they were serious they would of! i suggest do not even talk to the agencies! they suck! ask if they are a staffing agency first thing and if they say yes then dont bother! unless you are really desperite like myself!

Wow. That is SO true. Has been my experience with staffing agencies entirely!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in San Bernardino, California

13 months ago

I was hired as a temp for a three week job at a company with many sister companies. The only thing it says in my paperwork that is a handout only, nothing signed states that I need to notify agency if offered a job. I don't want to set off flags at the agency, so I called another office and asked what the rules were. They stated I had to work 640-720 hours before I could accept the offer. The offer is way more than the agency and it has phenomenal benefits. Can I finish up what I was hired to if and wait a few weeks then take the new job? There is nothing stated or implied about this issue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NeedANewJobLikeYesterday in Lynchburg, Virginia

13 months ago

I currently work at a temp agency and would advice you NOT to go through one if at all possible. The temp-to-hire process is complete BS. The temp agency is out to make money and could care less about you as a person. Your assignment can be ended at anytime for any given reason. The client can easily say we just don't like this person or that this person has an attitude, and you will be replaced that day. I have seen this happen too many times. A client will fall in love with the person one day and look for a replacement the next. I have even seen situations where a client will have someone work for them and be about a day away from being hired on, and ask for a replacement, just so they can save money. You are also getting paid considerably less just because of the mark-up rate that the staffing agency is charging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

NeedANewJobLikeYesterday in Lynchburg, Virginia said: I currently work at a temp agency and would advice you NOT to go through one if at all possible. The temp-to-hire process is complete BS. The temp agency is out to make money and could care less about you as a person. Your assignment can be ended at anytime for any given reason. The client can easily say we just don't like this person or that this person has an attitude, and you will be replaced that day. I have seen this happen too many times. A client will fall in love with the person one day and look for a replacement the next. I have even seen situations where a client will have someone work for them and be about a day away from being hired on, and ask for a replacement, just so they can save money. You are also getting paid considerably less just because of the mark-up rate that the staffing agency is charging.

I haven't tempted in over a decade but that is how it works. The one advantage that we once had as temps was that we had a chance to "try it before we bought it".

Many companies back then would offer "temp-to-perm" but if the place was a $hithole, you just walked away when the contract ended. That seems to have changed now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marty in Hickory Hills, Illinois

12 months ago

Now they get rid of people so fast and just get another temp, and after a while they just use another agency as they don't want to get the same temp back on the job they had a few months ago. Last place that I did temp at had so many temps I wondered why don't they just get someone in to fill the position so they don't have to have the department head spend half a day explaining how the process goes, which prevents them from getting their work done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois

12 months ago

sharon in Chicago, Illinois said: I have my resume on several job sites. I applied on-line for a position at an insurance company. I was contacted by a temp agency about the position. The recruiter told me it was a temp to hire job that would convert to a permanent position in approximately 3 months.

Sharon, job agencies post fake jobs just to collect your resume. Do not respond to job agencies, instead go directly to the company's web site and search for jobs directly there. For example, it sounds like the real company that the fake job was imitating was Allstate. So next time, go directly to Allstate's web site, for example, in their career section and search for jobs there. If you do it this way you will at least be contacted by an actual HR person who works for the actual company.

There is still no guarantee that the job is real because, unfortunately company's themselves are posting jobs on their own company web site that are not real, but at least you won't deal with staffing agencies. I worked for Allstate for over 8 yrs., got hit by the recession, they laid off hundreds of people, I've since applied for over 30 positions with that very company, and I'm still looking for a real full-time job.

And I totally ignore staffing agencies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

12 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: Sharon, job agencies post fake jobs just to collect your resume. Do not respond to job agencies, instead go directly to the company's web site and search for jobs directly there./QUOTE]

While that's often true, there are companies who do not and will not employee temporary or contingent staff directly.

While I enthusiastically second checking the company's website for listings, be aware that you might still have to deal with a staffing agency.
sti

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jperalta

11 months ago

Hello, and happy turkey day. I'm working as a temp right now, the office were I work at might need to shut down. What happens if I'm a temp when the office closes? When your a reg. employee you get pension and such. But what happens when your a temp?

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Jperalta said: Hello, and happy turkey day. I'm working as a temp right now, the office were I work at might need to shut down. What happens if I'm a temp when the office closes? When your a reg. employee you get pension and such. But what happens when your a temp?

Nothing happens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

11 months ago

Jperalta said: Hello, and happy turkey day. I'm working as a temp right now, the office were I work at might need to shut down. What happens if I'm a temp when the office closes? When your a reg. employee you get pension and such. But what happens when your a temp?

You notify them the moment you find out the office is actually closing, call the temp agency and ask for another assignment. Call at least three days in a row requesting another assignment (or whatever your local unemployment benefits requirements dictate).

Blogger51 in Chicago, Illinois

11 months ago

As a temp you get nothing from that company that will close. Your employer is the agency. Let them know that you are available for another assignment. If you are on unemployment benefits and do not notify the agency, they can say that you are not available for work and tell that the the unemployment office and then you will not be able to collect benefits. You need to report at least once a week to keep letting them know you are available for another assignment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

8 months ago

Oh goodness... after reading all these comments, they really confirm what I was thinking - temp agency: not a good thing.

I recently got furloughed in February, and thought a temp agency might be the answer. I'd rather have a steady job, but thought if I could get a temp to get some money in, then I'd be fine with that.

My first agency, I posted my resume and filled out anything, and applied to 4 jobs. Never heard back. The only good thing they were good for was that they had my resume from 10 years ago when I didn't know better, so I got some of my old information.

My second agency, they called me, and they want my references e-mail addresses. Well, I've been applying to many jobs, and I'd rather not bother my references all the time.

The third agency, they actually called me in to talk and meet with them. Their website, well, it's very through but not up-to-date, and I've noticed errors in their e-mails. I feel like I haven't gave them a chance to let me down, and hope that they don't. I haven't completed my entire profile, and I think I will remove my information from my first two agencies.

My guess is that temp agencies are like any other work - some work, some don't.

REM in Lynchburg, Virginia

8 months ago

Yeah, I received a call yesterday (pre recorded message) from a "staffing' agency stating they had received my application and wanted me to come to their "open house" as a local company is hiring. I called to see what jobs this company is hiring for and got a voice mail. So far, I've heard nothing back. I went directly to the company website, and they only have a few jobs, and none that fit my background..so I'm thinking this is sketchy and this "staffing" agency just wants to get me in the door. I've never used a "staffing" agency before, so I was curious as to how the whole process works before I have to re arrange my whole schedule and find someone to watch my daughter because my wife is out of town on business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Toni in Vincentown, New Jersey

8 months ago

I have been contacted by agencies and not all jobs will be posted on their web-sites. If you really need a job, then I would look into it. I have been working for agencies since I was laid off. A lot of them are temp to perm which means if they like you, they will hire you after 90 days.

Derek in Franklin, Massachusetts

8 months ago

Toni in Vincentown, New Jersey said: I have been contacted by agencies and not all jobs will be posted on their web-sites. If you really need a job, then I would look into it. I have been working for agencies since I was laid off. A lot of them are temp to perm which means if they like you, they will hire you after 90 days.

That's not true either. I worked at a job that was temp to hire and everybody that works there was not hired at all. Somone was the best there for 2 years and never got hired. The company wants to save money and not pay benefits. Temps are good if you can't find a job to make money but once you find one leave cause all they are are middlemen making money on your back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

Toni in Vincentown, New Jersey said: I have been contacted by agencies and not all jobs will be posted on their web-sites. If you really need a job, then I would look into it. I have been working for agencies since I was laid off. A lot of them are temp to perm which means if they like you, they will hire you after 90 days.

I just think if they were legit and cared, they would have at least returned my phone call asking what the job was this company was hiring for before I waste anyone's time. Pretty simple to pick up the phone.

8 months ago

Not today. If they don't hear back from you, they move on to the next person who is a potential candidate. You have to persevere otherwise you just get passed-by.

8 months ago

Toni in Vincentown, New Jersey said: Not today. If they don't hear back from you, they move on to the next person who is a potential candidate. You have to persevere otherwise you just get passed-by.

I did contact them. :/

8 months ago

You are correct. Because of Obama care, that is why this is happening. I personally would never stay at a temp to hire position more than 90 days if there was no chance of being hired full-time. Always look for a job while working no matter how good you are. Then again, even if you get hired full-time by an employer, they can let you go for no reason. Jobs are scares and employers know this. The only jobs that you may have a good chance at staying for a while are in retail or lesser paying jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

Good luck in your job search!

Elizabeth Raymond in Hartford, Connecticut

8 months ago

I noticed that when I temped years ago they just sent you on the job. Recently I signed up with an agency and they now want to send your resume to the customer. Additionally, I signed up with two agencies who talked as if they had positions and never sent me on a single assignment.

8 months ago

A lot of the agencies now actually send you on an interview once the customer shows interest in your resume. Its like you now interview with the actual customer before you are accepted for the temp position in order for the customer to acknowledge whether or not you are a good fit. It has become so difficult to get any type of work. You also have to check in with the temp agencies weekly otherwise you go to the bottom of their list.

Dreamline in Thiells, New York

8 months ago

wendyy in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania said: I got a call today from a staffing company about a full-time, temporary job lasting one month. I'm currently on unemployment and am wondering how that will affect my claim. I have worked temp-to-perm jobs in the past where I was hired, but I'm sure the rules have changed over the years. Also, I was never on unemployment before.

I have an interview with the temps client Monday. If offered, should I take the job? Completely new at this! Thanks!

You have to calculate whether or not the money you will make (per week) is more or less than your unemployment. If it's more, then take the job. If it's less, then see how much less and if it's worth it for you to give up your unemployment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth Raymond in Hartford, Connecticut

8 months ago

I have not been sent on one temp assignment that has been positive. The last one I went on the office was so disorganized and unprofessional.

Agent Zero in Antelope, California

8 months ago

Hello Everyone, I have first hand knowledge of staffing agencies and can tell you that some of you are 100% correct and some of you are 100% incorrect of your assessment and/or thoughts of staffing agencies and how they work. What you need to keep in mind first and foremost is that staffing agencies are businesses and, like all businesses, they need to make money in order to stay in business. So remember that the next time you complain about them squeezing money out of the client with every person they place. It's how the world runs, get over it.
As for the agencies that 'don't ever call you back,' or 'don't care about you,' remember this, it's not the 'agency' that is doing that, it is the Recruiter. And an agency is only as good as it's Recruiters. So, if you get a Recruiter that doesn't follow up or follow through with what they say they will do, then yes, you will have a bad experience. Remember, there are a LOT of people looking for work any given day and there are only so many jobs out there to be filled. So, you may feel that you're the #1 person for a job when you meet with your Recruiter, but in reality you are one of many #1 candidates for the job. So if you don't get the position you really felt you would, get over it. May have been for the better anyway. And, if you're as good as you think you are, the Recruiter and the client just did themselves a HUGE injustice by not selecting you. So shame on them.
I believe that all Recruiters should be as open and as honest as possible. Why hide anything from someone trying to get a job? It doesn't benefit the Recruiter, the agency, the client, or the job seeker. There is just too much sensitivity in the world today and I firmly believe that a little honesty never hurt. I could go on and on but I don't have the space. :) So, give the agency and the Recruiter a break, and if they are truly horrible, find one that isn't. If you want more, let me know! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mea in Marshfield, Massachusetts

8 months ago

Three weeks ago the agency tried to set me up with a client desperately. It took three days for him to connect with the client to sent me a personally test. Took the test and was told afterward they changed their mind.
Today while checking the website, Indeed.com, the company posted the job online. My question is can I apply for the job on my own, would the agency come after me for any wrong doing? I never did get in the door with the client/company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

8 months ago

Mea in Marshfield, Massachusetts said: Three weeks ago the agency tried to set me up with a client desperately. It took three days for him to connect with the client to sent me a personally test. Took the test and was told afterward they changed their mind.
Today while checking the website, Indeed.com, the company posted the job online. My question is can I apply for the job on my own, would the agency come after me for any wrong doing? I never did get in the door with the client/company.

You can apply. The issue is between the agency and the company as this may be a breach of contract but it is between them.

Some agencies require exclusives meaning that if they take the job, the company cannot advertise the position themselves. This is actually the best way but not all companies/agencies do it this way.

Agent Zero in Folsom, California

8 months ago

Mea in Marshfield, Massachusetts said: Three weeks ago the agency tried to set me up with a client desperately. It took three days for him to connect with the client to sent me a personally test. Took the test and was told afterward they changed their mind.

Bluetea in Texas is 100% correct.

Jmix in Fort Wayne, Indiana

8 months ago

You can always apply for the job unless you have signed a non-compete contract with the temp or contracting firm for which you are working. They might get "mad" but there's nothing that they can do to prevent you from applying at the company or taking the job if it is offered to you.

Agent Zero in Folsom, California

8 months ago

Jmix in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: You can always apply for the job unless you have signed a non-compete contract with the temp or contracting firm for which you are working. They might get "mad" but there's nothing that they can do to prevent you from applying at the company or taking the job if it is offered to you.

Actually you're right and wrong. Your right in the since that they probably can't do anything about it, especially to the person applying, however if the agency finds out that the company hired someone that they had previously presented to them, they can bill that company if they do hire that person outside of going through the agency. Unless of course the agency wasn't smart enough to have a signed contract prior to submitting candidates for review.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.