How to follow up when I'm not sure if I'll take the job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

ESLteacher1 in San Diego, California

25 months ago

I interviewed at Private Language School A on Wednesday and was offered a position as a substitute teacher. The interviewer said there was lots of sub work coming up and a good possibility of getting a permanent class but gave me no specific dates or guarantees.

I interviewed at Private Language School B for a summer contract position with possibility of long-term employment and think I did well but haven't been given a decision yet.

I need to follow up with both schools today but I don't know what to say because I'm not sure if I'll take either job. School A seems like it might be the nicer place to work for a few reasons, but School B is definitely a good fit as well and would guarantee employment for the full summer if they accept me.

I want to keep both options open, but how do I follow up when I'm not sure if I'll accept the job? Is it safe to tell School A that their school seems wonderful and I would be happy to work there, but will have to decline if I'm offered a longer-term position elsewhere? Or is it better to write an enthusiastic email implying that I will definitely accept the job, and them politely decline later on if it turns out I'm no longer available?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

ESLteacher1 in San Diego, California said: I interviewed at Private Language School A on Wednesday and was offered a position as a substitute teacher. The interviewer said there was lots of sub work coming up and a good possibility of getting a permanent class but gave me no specific dates or guarantees.

I interviewed at Private Language School B for a summer contract position with possibility of long-term employment and think I did well but haven't been given a decision yet.

I need to follow up with both schools today but I don't know what to say because I'm not sure if I'll take either job. School A seems like it might be the nicer place to work for a few reasons, but School B is definitely a good fit as well and would guarantee employment for the full summer if they accept me.

I want to keep both options open, but how do I follow up when I'm not sure if I'll accept the job? Is it safe to tell School A that their school seems wonderful and I would be happy to work there, but will have to decline if I'm offered a longer-term position elsewhere? Or is it better to write an enthusiastic email implying that I will definitely accept the job, and them politely decline later on if it turns out I'm no longer available?

Heh! That's not how it works.

Your best bet is to take the first job that is offered. If by some miracle, you are offered the second job and you really want it, you just quit job number 1 for job 2.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.