illegal questions during a job interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

ramazzotti in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

Few weeks ago i had a interview where to begin with the application had 3 questions very personal ,such as MARITAL STATUS, SPOUSE WORK, No. CHILDREN. At the begining i refused to answer those questions,but at the top of the application said that incomplete application will not be considered ,so i wanted the job right? so i answered the questions and let it go. Then during the interview the person who directed the interview started making questions about my very personal life !!!! things like: when i was born? where? how old i am , etc. he even asked about my husband's name and job!!!!!! and i was like: did i come here in behalf of my husband or did i come here to be interview to get a job FOR ME ? the interview lasted like 15 -20 minutes and only two questions were made concerning the job which by the way those questions were made by me (in my intented to change the personal topic) and after that this guy just said : thanks for coming ,goodbye!!! basically, i responded those personal questions very sharp like: yes or no . not providing any more information.i would like to know if any of you guys have ever experienced the same situation ...thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in North Ridgeville, Ohio

88 months ago

This is wrong I am not sure who you report them to, maybe the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board. If they can't help maybe they can direct you to someone that can help you.

Google search "illegal job interview questions" and plenty of links come up.

[QUOTE who="ramazzotti"]Few weeks ago i had a interview where to begin with the application had 3 questions very personal ,such as MARITAL STATUS, SPOUSE WORK, No. CHILDREN. At the begining i refused to answer those questions,but at the top of the application said that incomplete application will not be considered ,so i wanted the job right? so i answered the questions and let it go. Then during the interview the person who directed the interview started making questions about my very personal life !!!! things like: when i was born? where? how old i am , etc. he even asked about my husband's name and job!!!!!! and i was like: did i come here in behalf of my husband or did i come here to be interview to get a job FOR ME ? the interview lasted like 15 -20 minutes and only two questions were made concerning the job which by the way those questions were made by me (in my intented to change the personal topic) and after that this guy just said : thanks for coming ,goodbye!!! basically, i responded those personal questions very sharp like: yes or no . not providing any more information.i would like to know if any of you guys have ever experienced the same situation ...thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in North Ridgeville, Ohio

88 months ago

I found another link for you, contact your local Equal Employment Opportunity Office:

www.eeoc.gov/offices.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

blogMeTender in Santa Clara, California

88 months ago

You can leave parts of the application blank, and if they really want you because of your other qualifications, they'll call you. Now onto a bigger issue . . .

Whether or not you fill out an application, this kind of thing can happen, and sometimes it's simply because the employer and its representatives don't know any better.

We live in a time where several things happen:
1. Few managers today get training in how to hire people.
2. Companies have this gaga feeling that we're all a happy family.

As a result, many interviewers just get tossed at you during your visit. So they'll treat an interview like any informal chitchat like at church, a mall, waiting in line at the grocery, etc. It's really up to you as the candidate to make sure the interview is about the job. You're there to talk serious business about bringing business to their business, no?!

Sometimes these employers need a polite redirection. You can do that with humor. I've sometimes said, "Whether I'm gay or straight, married or single, with or without 2.3 kids, I know I can do this job." Or I'll stop a second and politely ask, "Can you explain to me how this is related to the job?"

Or I'll even say, "I know you're interviewing me for a management position, and I know some companies use these questions to test if I know what's legal and illegal for a manager to ask. Have I passed your test?"

Sometimes one is placed into these situations just to see how one handles them. It is very stupid for employers to do that because anybody can act differently depending on the situation. Still, you can decide to what extent you want to play their game. And you can always refuse to take a job with them and alert your REAL family and friends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yueling in Kingfield, Maine

86 months ago

smart answers! just relax to face every question. we are going to an interview. we must find out a way to talk about the mayor questions about the position. everything we do we need a result outcome. " do you want to hire me? or not?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Female

86 months ago

Just politely say: These questions do not pertain to the job and will be answered if an offer for the position is made.

Me: I would just look at the interviewer and say those questions are against the law to ask and have nothing to do with my abilities to perform the job that I applied for. If he was that hell bent on your personal life, I would've even asked Did I apply for a personal ad by mistake as I thought the job was for blah blah blah. Then I would've immediately reported him to the EEO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Female

86 months ago

And before anybody gets their panties in a wad -- These companies know that the job market is bad and they feel that they are at liberty to do or say anything they want to because they know we really need the job. This is the time that we need to make them understand that the laws were made to protect us too. Granted we all need a job but then you have to think, if in the interview they ask such personal - none of their business - questions, do you really want to work for that company as that just might be the beginning of the barrage of what may come later. It just kills me that so many companies get away with breaking the laws -- if they are interviewing - they need to know the ethics of proper practices - they, the companies, are all fully aware of the laws so don't kid yourself into thinking they don't. I mean look at our government -- they make the laws and they still are going to jail for breaking them. Granted, in the govt they say do as your told because someone is always going to take the fall for what the higher ups told you to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JG

85 months ago

ramazzotti in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Few weeks ago i had a interview where to begin with the application had 3 questions very personal ,such as MARITAL STATUS, SPOUSE WORK, No. CHILDREN. At the begining i refused to answer those questions,but at the top of the application said that incomplete application will not be considered ,so i wanted the job right? so i answered the questions and let it go. Then during the interview the person who directed the interview started making questions about my very personal life !!!! things like: when i was born? where? how old i am , etc. he even asked about my husband's name and job!!!!!! and i was like: did i come here in behalf of my husband or did i come here to be interview to get a job FOR ME ? the interview lasted like 15 -20 minutes and only two questions were made concerning the job which by the way those questions were made by me (in my intented to change the personal topic) and after that this guy just said : thanks for coming ,goodbye!!! basically, i responded those personal questions very sharp like: yes or no . not providing any more information.i would like to know if any of you guys have ever experienced the same situation ...thanks

Report those people to the EEOC and do it fast! Anyway knows it's illegal to ask those questions. They may be forced to hired you anyway if you go to the EEOC and file your complaint. You'll have the last laugh. Then they'll tiptoe around you since, if you are terminated for any reason, it will look like it was retaliation and they'll be in deeper doodoo than you can imagine. Let the EEOC come down on them and sue them on your behalf.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lonnie in San Antonio, Texas

85 months ago

It has been my experience that employers who ask illegal questions during the job interview do unethical things after you accept the job. In my younger days when I did not know any better, I would just answer their illegal questions. Now, I know how to side step them, but it makes me uncomfortable anyhow. Now, I am over 40 years old and it is more difficult to find employment. I did secure a position, however I am making the same amount of money I did 12 years ago. There is more competition for work with some of our american jobs going to other countries. Employers hold more cards these days it seems. When I was activly looking for employement, I could not even get hired by Walmart or Target. I just wanted to throw up when I had to apply, knowing all the hoops a person seems to have to jump through to even get an interview. It makes it so much harder when they ask illegal questions when you know they are wrong to do so, but you need to buy groceries and pay rent or a mortgage and you need the job so bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlie A

85 months ago

ramazzotti in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Few weeks ago i had a interview where to begin with the application had 3 questions very personal ,such as MARITAL STATUS, SPOUSE WORK, No. CHILDREN. At the begining i refused to answer those questions,but at the top of the application said that incomplete application will not be considered ,so i wanted the job right? so i answered the questions and let it go. Then during the interview the person who directed the interview started making questions about my very personal life !!!! things like: when i was born? where? how old i am , etc. he even asked about my husband's name and job!!!!!! and i was like: did i come here in behalf of my husband or did i come here to be interview to get a job FOR ME ? the interview lasted like 15 -20 minutes and only two questions were made concerning the job which by the way those questions were made by me (in my intented to change the personal topic) and after that this guy just said : thanks for coming ,goodbye!!! basically, i responded those personal questions very sharp like: yes or no . not providing any more information.i would like to know if any of you guys have ever experienced the same situation ...thanks

Each state has certain laws that protects workers or potential workers from being asked certain questions; specifically age. And each state usually has an agency that oversees age discrimination. Nationwide the agency that handles age, race, religious discrimination is the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). You may want to look within the state where you interviewed and seek out the department that looks into discrimnatory practices. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marta in Cape Coral, Florida

85 months ago

another victim

I just came now, I decide to find something by my own, I just get tire, running every where to bit for a new opportunity, is not easy they love see you hungry for a new job.
and bellieve me is not fair.
now we learn by the experience if you see the intervier think is better than you, don't waste you time.
short words, the same happen to me, many times.
but any way i answer because I don't have nothing to hide.
maybe he was trying to be a psicologist in that moment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lemika in Amarillo, Texas

84 months ago

Personal questions should never be asked at an interview. You should have asked the stupid manager who trained him/her! That is not allowed. You are never obligated to do such!
clix.to/lemikas A forum for managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LOOKING in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

Is it illegal to ask what amount of severance the former employer offered ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mrs C in California

77 months ago

A manager at my work has a list of questionable interview questions. One of the questions we are wondering if its even legal to ask. We already know its not tactful. His question is
"Do you have a problem taking instruction for women, mexicans or people younger than you?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dian in Mount Vernon, Washington

76 months ago

when asked an illegal question, try to answer the real question the employer is asking. for example "what country are you from?" answer : 'i am authorized to work in the US"

when he asked about your husband's job : my husband's job just fine. lol

how old are you ? "i am over 21"

In my country, people ask worse questions, like : what is your religion ? or sometimes they put an ad : "Christian only"

sandy coll in Blue Point, New York

76 months ago

I also had a job interview a few weeks ago and i was asked personal questions asking me how old my parents are and do i have any brothers or sisters. i dont know whats wrong with these people.the next time someone asks me questions like that im gotta just walk out thats very rude behavior in an interview.

K.C. in Seattle, Washington

76 months ago

I need to reiterate what a few folks have already posted.

The obvious problem is that your answers may be used to disqualify you for a position based on your age, marital status, religion, etc. and that is illegal (Title VII of the Civil Rights Act). It is for this very reason that, as standard practice, all questions that can lead to an applicant disclosing such information are best avoided all-together.

It is not uncommon for untrained, or undertrained, managers to fall back on such questions to sound more friendly or conversational. The real issue is that, as an employer, you are open to a lawsuit if a candidate who is not selected for a position can even PERCEIVE that the reason for his/her disqualification was based on age, marital status, etc.

I would follow the advise of Charlie A (and others) and contact the EEOC.

I have to also say that you would not want to work for an employer who has either complete disregard for the law or little understanding of it. Consider yourself lucky!

Good luck on future interviews!

K.C.
www.tandemresumes.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Sacramento, California

75 months ago

My concern regarding this is the company legit? It sounds like questions that someone would use for identity theft. I was on an interview and I felt something was fishy especially when I called back on the job they stated all positions were filled but the same ad came out a week later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DadDan in Saint Louis, Missouri

74 months ago

I have run into this problem. But another one I have is when they ask for reason if you have not been employed in the last 5 years ,being as I not able to work as I had a spinal injury and was disabled. I want to be honest, as lies only come back to haunt you later. But how can you answer this question without telling them you had a medical problem and totally ruining your chance at the job? Ive also found many online applications just stop responding if you answer that you have not had a job in a couple years. I have written their help departments on this and of course am told it should not do this and to keep trying, but even if I wait days and go back to try again, it still does the same thing. I think online applications have given many opportunities to discriminate. If someone ask , they can always blame it on the computer. Ive been trying to get back into the work force for a couple years, and just as an example, over 370 applications last year alone and not one reply. Something tells me that even though I had a successful past, after I was disabled, none of that matters even though my disability does not interfere with my ability to work. Some have suggested pursuing it legally, but I am not one who wants to or likes to sue. I just want to get back to work for me and my kids.

DadDan in Saint Louis, Missouri

74 months ago

Sandra in Sacramento, California said: My concern regarding this is the company legit? It sounds like questions that someone would use for identity theft. I was on an interview and I felt something was fishy especially when I called back on the job they stated all positions were filled but the same ad came out a week later.

I had never considered ID theft with Job applications until the other day when I applied for a job with what I thought was a major company, only to discover after I uploaded my resume that it was a fraud! What tipped me off is when I was directed to online university website to request information after I clicked on NEXT.
Thats when I Googled the name and ran across this website. This person apparently has been doing ID theft from people like us for years, and no one will stop him. He has many fake job websites, listed on the included website URL. I suggest you all check out the sight and check the names of the .coms on the list to protect yourself. He has hundreds of fake employment websites. For real, Hundreds! I didnt, and I am fearing what the repercussions will be.

www.thetruthaboutisc.com/

Please be careful. I was scammed right out of the Saint Louis post dispatch online , which links to Yahoo Jobs. I assumed it would be legit. I found out to late it was not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Woodside, New York

72 months ago

I recently went to fill out an application for a job. They asked if I "rent or own". The next question asked "how much do I pay in rent or mortgage?" Is this illegal? It also said at the top if I didn't answer all the questions I would not be considered for the job.

Darla in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

Is it legal for a hiring agency to post "jobs" when there are really no jobs available? I was told this ad was posted for "recruitment purposes" only. Here is the copy:

INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE PLEASE....Well-known Entertainment Studio is in need of EXECUTIVE ASSISTANTS, ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANTS, MARKETING COORDINATORS, LEGAL ASSISTANTS & SR. SECRETARIES. Our ideal candidate will have some entertainment background, very proficient in WORD, EXCEL, OUTLOOK, POWERPOINT, SAP and TYPING. For all executive level applicants your experience MUST show that you've supported senior level executives such as: CEO's, VP's, DIRECTOR'S, CFO's etc. Please apply as soon as possible because we have positions available Now. SEND ALL RESUMES TO TIFF ADD AS A WORD ATTACHMENT. Ref # 2258/TA -

This ad specifically states that 'we have positions available now' but a follow-up reveals they do not.

This is a major pain when you spend your time applying, seeking a job and it isn't really a job at all... just an agency mining for resumes so they can "up" their business profile. So is this legal in CA?

SomeOne who cares! in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

Job hunters Beware!!! Paige Employment agency in Oakbrook, il is just interviewing candidates so they can build up their database and possible contacts to offer their employment services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Admin who wants a job... in Sonoita, Arizona

68 months ago

I believe that this is a normal business practice for these employment agencies. I have found this to be true in the Tucson area as well. I in fact went into Volt Agency in Tucson from as ad I responded to. That was 1 1/2 ago and the funny thing is that I jumped through all their hoops, took the testing, interviewed etc and then they never discussed the position with me until they were ready to shoo me out the door. I now see the very same ad posted that I originally applied for. I think this is extremely an unethical business practice and I sent them email stating so and I also cc'd the major news networks hoping that they'd pick it up as a story. It waste our valuable time and efforts in our job search when we're out there looking for a "REAL JOB" and these agencies play games to meet their quotas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

billohno in Middlebury, Vermont

68 months ago

ramazzotti in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Few weeks ago i had a interview where to begin with the application had 3 questions very personal
You could talk with someone at the AG's office in your state. They'll put you in the right direction. They may have book on those guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Washington, District of Columbia

58 months ago

I completely agree. I found this to be the case with my current position. I hope the candidates we just interviewed see between the lines and make informed decisions accordingly!

The job market sticks, but taking a job that starts off bad in the interview isn't going the help matters!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.