The job offer and prospects really conflicts with the interview (advice please)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

DarkKnight in Oxford, Arkansas

13 months ago

I have officially accepted a position at this company, but I cannot shake a nagging feeling. When I first interviewed for an assistant manager position about two weeks ago, they told me that they were very impressed with me and that I could easily be a store manger. I was extremely excited about all of the opportunities and the work environment that I would be entering. However, over the past two weeks, meetings have been scheduled and rescheduled. It was only after I received an email asking me to turn in my two-week notice at my current job that I realized that I had received a "manager" position. Since I am the only one working in my household right now, I held off with the notice until I found out about the pay. I finally sent my pay stub to them, since they said that they could not get me a pay package together until they had it. I sent it last week, assuming that we had a meeting on Monday to go over my "pay package." Finally, after thinking about the email asking me to turn in my notice, I emailed them on Sunday. They told me that they never received the email, so I re-sent it. Once again, another meeting was cancelled, and I received my "job offer" on the phone. I have received a "support role" that will pay pennies more than what I make now. They hired a bank teller that is extremely young as the store manager and a cosmetologist as the ASM. I will be competing for a second ASM position with three other people (one a waitress, and another is a cashier). I have extensive retail experience, a college degree (none of the others have a college degree), and retail management experience. I am extremely hesitant at this point. I will be stepping down in title if I go through with this job. I applied for this job in hopes of moving up in title. I had been expecting a $15,000+ pay raise and a salaried position only to be shocked by their offer. To say that I am disappointed is an understatement. I will make 1% commission on top of my measly pay, b

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

E.R. in Portsmouth, Virginia

13 months ago

I don't know if you have made a decision yet but to be honest it's only worth moving up in position if you are going to have a wider range of responsibility and a higher wage. Unless you are having issues at your current job I see no reason to accept a unilateral move. You have to look at it from a critical point of view.

1. Based off the amount of money you are making right now, would it make sense to move into a different environment where it's only a few pennies more an hour?

2. What is the total distance from one job versus the other job to your home? Would you be paying more in gas which would equate to a loss on your salary, considering the fluctuating gas prices nowadays?

3. Do you have a good rapport with your current job to the point that it would make more business sense to continue that rapport and hold off for a higher paying job and/or a higher position at your current job?

Really think about it and make a decent choice in the end! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

13 months ago

They are already starting off on the wrong foot. I would thank them for their time and politely decline the offer. It doesn't sound positive at all. Changing interview times, instructing you on when to resign from your current position, bait and switch tactics on the position role and title. Keep your current position and apply elsewhere that is more stable and more professional.

Displaced Legal Professional in Arvada, Colorado

13 months ago

I agree with the above. Too much scheduling and rescheduling. I sure as hell don't like them telling you when to resign your current job. I also don't like that you would take a lesser position if you join this employer.

Don't forget, one can learn a lot about an employer's culture through the interview process. Based on what you've written, I too would say "no, thanks" and stay where I am.

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

13 months ago

Yeah, what you're seeing is only the tip of the iceberg. I mean like, c'mon, asking for your paystub? What nerve. God only knows how bad they'd yank your chain if you had to deal on a daily basis.

Even if you'd save a few bucks in gas, as suggested by E.R., it is not worth it.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.