how long does or did it take you to get a job offer after interview?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 126)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

HelloJ in NY, New York said: just wondering

That depends on the company. I have been hired on the spot and I have waited as long as a month.

What you never do is wait for a response - no matter what they say. Keep applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (373) / No (61) Reply - Report abuse

JR84 in Brooklyn, New York

23 months ago

I usually hear the good news either on the spot or within the next 2 days. I personally never had to wait that long if i got the job. If I was their pick, I knew within the same week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (149) / No (137) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Silver Spring, Maryland

23 months ago

JR84 in Brooklyn, New York said: I usually hear the good news either on the spot or within the next 2 days. I personally never had to wait that long if i got the job. If I was their pick, I knew within the same week.

I've never heard back that quickly. The hiring manager generally needs to get formal approval from higher up to make the offer and then he/she has to meet with HR to put together a compensation package. These days, most managers have some (or even all) of their staff involved in the selection process, so the hiring manager needs to get feedback from the staff. This means that it normally takes a minimum of a week to put together a job offer, and depending on schedules and travel it can take longer than that. I generally don't write off an employer until 2 weeks after the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (544) / No (74) Reply - Report abuse

unemployed princess

23 months ago

HelloJ in NY, New York said: just wondering

In my personal experience you either get told in person you are hired the same day or they call you within 2-3 buisiness days. If you got a interview friday you should either be told on friday you got the job or monday or tuesday. Unless they are holding out for the candidate they want maximum should be 3 days in my opinion. In other words if they want you to work there they will let you know. Just like when they don't want to hire you they will flat out ignore you. Its like that but the opposite

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (126) / No (171) Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

23 months ago

The longest it ever took me was 1 week. Now time from a verbal "we're going to be extending an offer" and receiving said formal offer has taken weeks or months at some companies. But I was in contact the whole time.

Set a date as to when you will move on emotionally. I wasted too long waiting for calls that never came.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (159) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

unemployed princess

23 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: The longest it ever took me was 1 week. Now time from a verbal "we're going to be extending an offer" and receiving said formal offer has taken weeks or months at some companies. But I was in contact the whole time.

Set a date as to when you will move on emotionally. I wasted too long waiting for calls that never came.

I had a friend who applied to tj maxx she got hired but they never gave her a schedule. I don't care if an employer tells me I am hired until after I get an official schedule and I am on the payroll

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

unemployed princess in Dallas, Texas

23 months ago

Experienced HR Pro in Clifton Park, New York said: I think it depends on the level of the job and the size of the company. In both cases, bigger usually means slower. However, I have always found that when I am a serious contender, I get frequent communication from the company's recruiter. For example, a call the day after an interview to see "how it went". This frequent communication signals to me that they are interested, and want to make sure they keep me on the hook. No communication usually (but not always) means no go.

question i have an interview at the Hilton that is opening in my city in September tomorrow, but I also have an interview Friday at another company, how long should i expect to wait after thursday to know if i got the job? Because wonder if i get hired at the other interview? I know that hilton does not pay front desk that much. should i just comapare the pay of each job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Experienced HR Pro in Clifton Park, New York said: I think it depends on the level of the job and the size of the company. In both cases, bigger usually means slower. However, I have always found that when I am a serious contender, I get frequent communication from the company's recruiter. For example, a call the day after an interview to see "how it went". This frequent communication signals to me that they are interested, and want to make sure they keep me on the hook. No communication usually (but not always) means no go.

I meant compare

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: You don't wait on anything. You take the first job that is offered. A bird in the hand...

i definitely won't complain if i get hired at either one, its just i want a job with paid vacation, medical benefits, 401k, i never had a job like that before

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

23 months ago

Something has happened in July/August and hiring really picked up.
I have a feeling that there is a change in the trend.
Not only was I very lucky to get a job lately, but I also started to get calls and interviews. After accepting a job I had to turn down invitations to more interviews, one offering a full time job with benefits from day one and another considering for temp-to-hire job, also full time and also with benefits.
I went from ZERO calls/interviews to several calls/interviews and a job offer in a matter of weeks.
While I admit that I was very stubborn, relentless and resilient (kept sending resumes and looking for a job regardless of outcome), still I can't credit sudden surge in interviews to my efforts alone.
All of you who really want to get back to work: do not easily give up, keep looking for a job and send out your resumes. I think you have considerably higher chances of landing a job today than you had just a month ago.
If economy really picks up it will keep getting better because it's all interrelated (more jobs= more money spent by consumer = more entities in businesses = more hiring to meet demand ....).
I don't want to sound premature, I am still skeptical and subscribe to a "let's wait and see" approach, but I think it's just possible that we are finally starting to get out of the extremely prolonged cycle of recession.
Good luck to all !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

JS in Bethesda, Maryland said: Something has happened in July/August and hiring really picked up.
Not only was I very lucky to get a job lately, but I also started to get calls and interviews. After accepting a job I had to turn down invitations to more interviews, one offering a full time job with benefits from day one and another considering for temp-to-hire job, also full time and also with benefits.
I went from ZERO calls/interviews to several calls/interviews and a job offer in a matter of weeks.
If economy really picks up it will keep getting better because it's all interrelated (more jobs= more money spent by consumer = more entities in businesses = more hiring to meet demand ....).
I don't want to sound premature, I am still skeptical and subscribe to a "let's wait and see" approach, but I think it's just possible that we are finally starting to get out of the extremely prolonged cycle of recession.
Good luck to all !

CONGRATULATIONS! on finding a job JS :). Do you think it might also be the fact that this is school season and alot of people are going school shopping hence more demand for employees to help in the industry? I don't know all I know is even though I do not have a job I have noticed a patter, I rarely get hired in the summer but as soon as august hits i am being bombarded with requests for interviews, however i am still a college student and i would like to finish my last semester(fall). I think its a matter of time before a part time job hands out the orientation papers and getting asked for my direct deposit slip. However I am DONE APPLYING FOR JOBS. LOL. I applied to over 60 jobs followed up with over 20. I think I owe myself a r&r.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: It is good to hear there might be a bit of improvement in an industry or two here in MD. This state has lagged behind other states in even spotty recovery.

All the interviews I have been invited to are from the hotel industry. In my opinion people never stop traveling and looking for a place to stay no matter how bad thee economy is or is getting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: How many ads have you seen for Philosophers lately?

Become an X-ray tech, get licensed and then go back and major in Philsophy if that is what you really want.

Oh god no. i am not majoring in philosophy. I am going to beauty school after I get my associate degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

shay princess in San Jose, California

23 months ago

JS in Bethesda, Maryland said: Something has happened in July/August and hiring really picked up.
I went from ZERO calls/interviews to several calls/interviews and a job offer in a matter of weeks. I must say I agree with this.I have been getting
While I admit that I was very stubborn, relentless and resilient (kept sending resumes and looking for a job regardless of outcome), still I can't credit sudden surge in interviews to my efforts alone.
All of you who really want to get back to work: do not easily give up, keep looking for a job and send out your resumes. I think you have considerably higher chances of landing a job today than you had just a month ago.
Good luck to all !

I agree with this post.I have been getting calls left and right for interviews lately.I am waiting for an offer for a local hospital.Since they called on Monday for a follow up.I say never give up.I been down and wanted to give up at times.But if you stay determined and focus their is no way a job will not come your way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Huge waste of time. You end up frying chicken.

yea pretty much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Massachusetts

23 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Saturated? Philosophy, Psychology and Communications are saturated. Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

I tutored with a very smart woman who graduated from my CC's Rad Tech program. She was unable to find a job in that field for over a year following graduation. She finally found a job, part-time for a morgue, only after she had cross-trained in an extra modality. The same program was pumping out more grads with a waiting list for entering the program. Maybe Texas is different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Riot in Massachusetts said: I tutored with a very smart woman who graduated from my CC's Rad Tech program. She was unable to find a job in that field for over a year following graduation. She finally found a job, part-time for a morgue, only after she had cross-trained in an extra modality. The same program was pumping out more grads with a waiting list for entering the program. Maybe Texas is different.

if you are talking about psychology degree there are so many students in texas pursuing that degree and i can tell you first hand that i talked to some students who have a masters or bachelors in psychology and are still looking for a job, the ones who did get a job told me that being a counselor or psychologist is not what they imagined it to be like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Massachusetts

23 months ago

unemployed princess in Dallas, Texas said: if you are talking about psychology degree there are so many students in texas pursuing that degree and i can tell you first hand that i talked to some students who have a masters or bachelors in psychology and are still looking for a job, the ones who did get a job told me that being a counselor or psychologist is not what they imagined it to be like.

No, Rad Tech is Radiological Technology, X-Ray Technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

this is why college students should get field work or an internship before they start going into their major, i did and now i know that i do not want to pursue teaching. i guess i got lucky

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

unemployed princess in Dallas, Texas said: if you are talking about psychology degree there are so many students in texas pursuing that degree and i can tell you first hand that i talked to some students who have a masters or bachelors in psychology and are still looking for a job, the ones who did get a job told me that being a counselor or psychologist is not what they imagined it to be like.

Unless you are going for a PhD and a clinical license, don't do it. Stay away from ALL liberal arts degrees unless you can work for Daddy following your graduation.

Learn a trade. Its tough to off-shore a stopped up toilet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Unless you are going for a PhD and a clinical license, don't do it. Stay away from ALL liberal arts degrees unless you can work for Daddy following your graduation.

Learn a trade. Its tough to off-shore a stopped up toilet.

i agree, as soon as im done with the academic books im hitting up the technical books. I do not want to assume but maybe so many students possibly have no idea what is going on in the job market. I did not know for a long time. 2 years to be exact.

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

unemployed princess in Dallas, Texas said: i agree, as soon as im done with the academic books im hitting up the technical books. I do not want to assume but maybe so many students possibly have no idea what is going on in the job market. I did not know for a long time. 2 years to be exact.

I bet half the people in beauty school have a BA in Psychology now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I bet half the people in beauty school have a BA in Psychology now.

Yet the number of people I meet who need therapy and refuse to seek it remains at an all time high.

You'd think psychology is a growth industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I bet half the people in beauty school have a BA in Psychology now.

wow, i couldn't spend 4 years in a university and not make a profit out of it, i am finishing my 2 years in community college and im out for good, if i ever go to a university it will be because someone slapped me with a $10,000 scholarship before I leave community college

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Yet the number of people I meet who need therapy and refuse to seek it remains at an all time high.

You'd think psychology is a growth industry.

the counselors at my college all majority have a masters but worked in therapy or social work, they make good money, but get this...there are only 6 of them at my school. No wonder psychology majors can't find jobs that well, there are thousands of them yet employers want to hire less than 10 lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hire me in Springfield, Virginia

23 months ago

I have been searching for a job for the past year and a half. Several times a recruiter would call me back for a follow-up interview or I would get an email telling me I am “short-listed” or one time I had a personal interview, but in every case I heard nothing else. It was like they just dropped off the face of the earth. There is nothing in my employment history that I know of that would prohibit me from getting a job. I don’t do drugs, I have no criminal history, I have received speeding tickets, but I can’t imagine that would prevent me from being employed. Is there some way I can find out if there is adverse information reported about me? Is there an organization I should contact. Anything!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

hire me in Springfield, Virginia said: I have been searching for a job for the past year and a half. Several times a recruiter would call me back for a follow-up interview or I would get an email telling me I am “short-listed” or one time I had a personal interview, but in every case I heard nothing else. It was like they just dropped off the face of the earth. There is nothing in my employment history that I know of that would prohibit me from getting a job. I don’t do drugs, I have no criminal history, I have received speeding tickets, but I can’t imagine that would prevent me from being employed. Is there some way I can find out if there is adverse information reported about me? Is there an organization I should contact. Anything!

Its probably just the competition that is killing you. However, if you suspect a bad reference you can buy your own reference check:

www.checkmyreferences.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hire me in Springfield, Virginia

23 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Its probably just the competition that is killing you. However, if you suspect a bad reference you can buy your own reference check:

www.checkmyreferences.com/

I would like to know what the recruiters are finding out. They call me and sound real enthusiastic and then they don't call again. So when I try to call them no one answers. Sometimes I have tried 3 or 4 times and no one answers. They probably have caller ID.

23 months ago

hire me in Springfield, Virginia said: I have been searching for a job for the past year and a half. Several times a recruiter would call me back for a follow-up interview or I would get an email telling me I am “short-listed” or one time I had a personal interview, but in every case I heard nothing else. It was like they just dropped off the face of the earth. There is nothing in my employment history that I know of that would prohibit me from getting a job. I don’t do drugs, I have no criminal history, I have received speeding tickets, but I can’t imagine that would prevent me from being employed. Is there some way I can find out if there is adverse information reported about me? Is there an organization I should contact. Anything!

I will get tons of interviews and now the closer my college is approaching the more people call, so what happens is i will go to the interviews and as soon as they are done interviewing me they drop off the face of the earth.

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

hire me in Springfield, Virginia said: I would like to know what the recruiters are finding out. They call me and sound real enthusiastic and then they don't call again. So when I try to call them no one answers. Sometimes I have tried 3 or 4 times and no one answers. They probably have caller ID.

No doubt. Personally, I try and avoid recruiters whenever possible.

sabrina in Middle Village, New York

22 months ago

i had the same problem i got laid off in may and all of a sudden the last week of august i got numerous amount of call backs i have been offered 2 jobs and still waiting to hear from thats paying a lot more i guess bc summer is over now theyre beefing up the staff for holidays

Good luck to all !

22 months ago

sabrina in Middle Village, New York said: i had the same problem i got laid off in may and all of a sudden the last week of august i got numerous amount of call backs i have been offered 2 jobs and still waiting to hear from thats paying a lot more i guess bc summer is over now theyre beefing up the staff for holidays

Around July 15, I started getting so many calls I was turning them down. But not much from March-June. It's funny because not all companies follow seasonal hiring.

Congrats on your multiple job offers. It's a great feeling, isn't it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

22 months ago

I've gotten offers in as little as a day and as long as two months (I'm a technical writer/training developer).

Typically for my kind of work there are 2-3 interviews, and it takes 2-4 weeks from acknowledgement of resume receipt to offer or rejection.

One contract-to-perm gig I had an offer a little more than an hour after I interviewed with the client.

There are so many variables, just keep looking and applying until you have a written offer (and even then don't stop, just take a breather).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

marmb in Hayward, California

22 months ago

I completed my face to face interview exactly one week ago. The interview consisted of a typing test (not the best I must admit), a maths test (did very well ) and a proofreading test ( also did very well). In fact the first thing the hiring mgr said upon meeting me was .....you did good in the tests . So, onto the interview itself. Good feeling throughout . Answers were relevant and showed all the necessary qualities required for the position. Both interviewers seemed interested. After the interview I was walked out by the other interviewer. Upon reaching the lobby desk , she parted ways by saying " I hope to see you again ". This to me meant she was interested. I went home feeling good about a job offer. Later that day, I emailed a very nice and professional thank you note to the HR dept. No reply after one week. In the meantime I noticed they had relisted the job opening just two days after the interview. I know they are hiring more than one person. All kinds of permutations go through your mind. However, I would be doubtful if I get a call back or offer for this position. Sometimes it is all a matter of luck . I know from the past that I have received job offers after an interview that did not appear to be going so well.

The biggest thing to remember is not put your job hunt on hold while waiting for an offer that may or many not come. But if HR depts. just would take the time to say the position is still being filled or we have decided to go with another candidate . Then it would provide some closure and necessary relief from these often difficult times. Even a canned response would be better than nothing. Ah well , that is their problem and not mine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

GeorgeMD in Blanchester, Ohio

20 months ago

unemployed princess in Dallas, Texas said: CONGRATULATIONS! on finding a job JS :). Do you think it might also be the fact that this is school season and alot of people are going school shopping hence more demand for employees to help in the industry? I don't know all I know is even though I do not have a job I have noticed a patter, I rarely get hired in the summer but as soon as august hits i am being bombarded with requests for interviews, however i am still a college student and i would like to finish my last semester(fall). I think its a matter of time before a part time job hands out the orientation papers and getting asked for my direct deposit slip. However I am DONE APPLYING FOR JOBS. LOL. I applied to over 60 jobs followed up with over 20. I think I owe myself a r&r.

Ha, 60 jobs? That is not a big number in this economy. I have applied to hundreds of jobs, that is what it takes. Perseverance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

unemployed princess

20 months ago

GeorgeMD in Blanchester, Ohio said: Ha, 60 jobs? That is not a big number in this economy. I have applied to hundreds of jobs, that is what it takes. Perseverance.

I went through a phase in which I stopped going to interviews because I was so jaded by going and the interviewer being late or acting dumb. I should have applied to more jobs in the summer. And I have to apply to a bunch more to make up for the interviews I did not go to and those were alot. :(

unemployed princess

20 months ago

I love when employers/interviewers play the "ghost card" when I apply and they act like I never did or they lost my file or they say I had so many people walk through the door

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

GeorgeMD in Blanchester, Ohio

20 months ago

unemployed princess said: I love when employers/interviewers play the "ghost card" when I apply and they act like I never did or they lost my file or they say I had so many people walk through the door

If you are still open for suggestions, technology is a field that anyone can learn and practice. With all of the industry certification programs, you don't even need a degree (of course, it does help).

unemployed princess

20 months ago

GeorgeMD in Blanchester, Ohio said: If you are still open for suggestions, technology is a field that anyone can learn and practice. With all of the industry certification programs, you don't even need a degree (of course, it does help).

Thanks my goal is to get a job before summer starts and all the university students decrease my chances. I do not have my degree yet so it is not like my chances could get any lower. So far I have been applying to administration, healthcare front desk and clerical.

unemployed princess

20 months ago

GeorgeMD in Blanchester, Ohio said: If you are still open for suggestions, technology is a field that anyone can learn and practice. With all of the industry certification programs, you don't even need a degree (of course, it does help).

When I first came to this forum I think it had been 8 months since I was unemployed now it is about to be 11 months. There was one point before I joined indeed where I was unemployed for 2 years but I didn't really seem so sad

Meghan in South New Berlin, New York

20 months ago

unemployed princess said: In my personal experience you either get told in person you are hired the same day or they call you within 2-3 buisiness days. If you got a interview friday you should either be told on friday you got the job or monday or tuesday. Unless they are holding out for the candidate they want maximum should be 3 days in my opinion. In other words if they want you to work there they will let you know. Just like when they don't want to hire you they will flat out ignore you. Its like that but the opposite

I'm not sure what profession you all are in, I am an LPN. I interviewed for a job, waited a week and a half they called me for a 2nd interview then waited 3 days for them to call and offer me a job...

unemployed princess

20 months ago

Meghan in South New Berlin, New York said: I'm not sure what profession you all are in, I am an LPN. I interviewed for a job, waited a week and a half they called me for a 2nd interview then waited 3 days for them to call and offer me a job...

Im a college student and most of the jobs I applied to while going to college full time were retail, upscale restuarant, bars, and casual dining. However, I did go to a job interview for a customer service rep at my city hall and was told I was hired the next day. However, I do not start work until jan.2nd. I am happy but its a contract job no benefits.

Janice Wells in Torrance, California

20 months ago

I WON THE LOTTO! Ok, it sure feels like it. Here is my story: I must of had lady luck on my side. I first saw the job posting @ 10pm at night. It had posted an hour prior on Indeed.com. I applied right away because I knew that was the type of job I needed to get my foot in the door to change into an industry I highly desired. I think that helped a lot being one of the first applications because I got an email the next day asking if I could be available for a phone interview tomorrow (THE NEXT DAY). The phone interview went well as I had prepared in advance to have a quiet place, all my ‘cheat’ sheets in front of me. I listened well. She asked me to COME IN in 2 days. Mind you, she told me they are interviewing a lot of people. Ugh. I met with the 2 Sales Executives who I would be working with. No HR. I had a really good interview with them and even connected with the older man because he transferred from the city that my sister currently lives in. We talked about how his accomplishments there as I asked and even other events going on there. I left feeling good and wanted that job even more. Again, they told me they are still interviewing people and will let me know after the man’s 2 week trip! I not only sent a thank you email within 2 hours…but 2 days later, I decided to send a hand-written note to the both of them with samples of my online work that I failed to show them during the interview (yes, I brought them in a folder and lost that opporunity!) I thought, what is going to make me stand out? Despite the fear of appearing desperate, I mailed them a packet. The woman acknowledged it in an email and thanked me. I honestly thought I would not hear from either one of them again. I waited about 2 weeks before I was asked to come in for the final interview. They told me it was down to me and another candidate. They asked me to bring professional references too. Prior to the final interview, I prepared a 30/60/90 day Plan on what I think I would do in that position b

20 months ago

based on the job duties in the original ad. I got the idea from this career coach,Peggy McKee. Google her. This is not a Sales position but she said the 30/60/90 Day Plan is the tool to close the deal. Here is what happened: that Plan had them going over it with me and I think it made them see me as someone who can be on their team. It did close the deal because I got their call THE NEXT DAY saying that I am hired!! Unbelievable as I have been job hunting on and off for about 2 years! Don’t give up and use a 30/60/90 Day Plan in a first interview..even if it is a phone interview..email it to the interviewer ahead of time if you can! He/she will not forget you! Good luck!

unemployed princess

20 months ago

Janice Wells in Torrance, California said: based on the job duties in the original ad. I got the idea from this career coach,Peggy McKee. Google her. This is not a Sales position but she said the 30/60/90 Day Plan is the tool to close the deal. Here is what happened: that Plan had them going over it with me and I think it made them see me as someone who can be on their team. It did close the deal because I got their call THE NEXT DAY saying that I am hired!! Unbelievable as I have been job hunting on and off for about 2 years! Don’t give up and use a 30/60/90 Day Plan in a first interview..even if it is a phone interview..email it to the interviewer ahead of time if you can! He/she will not forget you! Good luck!

congrats I got hired too but I honestly am not sure what I did but I got hired the next day. I don't start work until jan.2nd. Its a temp full time job but its a start

20 months ago

unemployed princess said: congrats I got hired too but I honestly am not sure what I did but I got hired the next day. I don't start work until jan.2nd. Its a temp full time job but its a start

Congratulations to you too! That is a great opportunity even if it is temporary. If you do well, they will most likely offer you permanent status! Enjoy the holidays. I start Dec. 16th but since they honored my pre-planned Christmas vacation plans, it will only be a week. Then I am off until Jan. 6th (w/o pay). This is a permanent part-time position (30 hours) but I can see it turning full-time later. I am grateful I found 2 great people to work with and a boss who is flexible!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

unemployed princess

20 months ago

Janice Wells in Torrance, California said: Congratulations to you too! That is a great opportunity even if it is temporary. If you do well, they will most likely offer you permanent status! Enjoy the holidays. I start Dec. 16th but since they honored my pre-planned Christmas vacation plans, it will only be a week. Then I am off until Jan. 6th (w/o pay). This is a permanent part-time position (30 hours) but I can see it turning full-time later. I am grateful I found 2 great people to work with and a boss who is flexible!!

I am looking for a seasonal job. I applied to some places online. You name it career builder, indeed, craigslist, I applied to ihop, target, burlington coat factory, I went to a interview at the mall and the manager told me he will think about it. Its so close to the holidays and I applied for jobs back in november yet no one has called me. I have even applied to recent ppst on indeed, craigslist, I have received no phone calls

20 months ago

unemployed princess said: I am looking for a seasonal job. I applied to some places online. You name it career builder, indeed, craigslist, I applied to ihop, target, burlington coat factory, I went to a interview at the mall and the manager told me he will think about it. Its so close to the holidays and I applied for jobs back in november yet no one has called me. I have even applied to recent ppst on indeed, craigslist, I have received no phone calls

I can relate. I helped my 18 yr old niece get a seasonal job last year by driving her to the malls. She was told retail stores start interviewing in mid-October! She did get hired the end of November. What the retail stores were telling her was to fill out app online and then come back to tell them you did that and to inquire if they are interviewing. Some of them told her to come back between the hours of 2pm-4pm Mon-Thurs. so a manager can talk to her. I don't know if this is helpful but keep trying. The online apps are ridiculous considering how many ppl apply for 1 position.

p.s. If I were you, I'd follow up with that manager you interviewed with. Maybe a call or email (if you have one).

Good luck!

unemployed princess

20 months ago

Janice Wells in Torrance, California said: I can relate. I helped my 18 yr old niece get a seasonal job last year by driving her to the malls. She was told retail stores start interviewing in mid-October! She did get hired the end of November. What the retail stores were telling her was to fill out app online and then come back to tell them you did that and to inquire if they are interviewing. Some of them told her to come back between the hours of 2pm-4pm Mon-Thurs. so a manager can talk to her. I don't know if this is helpful but keep trying. The online apps are ridiculous considering how many ppl apply for 1 position.

p.s. If I were you, I'd follow up with that manager you interviewed with. Maybe a call or email (if you have one).

Good luck!

Thanks, I got an interview invitation. I emailed her once so that I do not look desperate. I plan on making some phone calls tomorrow. I am a bit more relaxed since I start my full time temp job in january, but I know I have said this before but as a current college student myself I really would like to get a job before summer break. Last summer I couldn't even get a lousu part time job

Rossonero in Geneva, Illinois

19 months ago

Depends on the size of the company, urgency of need for the position to be filled and the time of year.

Bigger companies tend to make hiring decisions slower due to layers of bureaucracy. I've waited as long as 3 weeks after the final interview to get an offer in hand. Generally, I'd recommend contacting the recruiter 2 weeks after your interview to see if a decision has been made. If you have other irons in the fire but really want a particular job, one week after your final interview is reasonable.

The urgency of need to fill the position may depend on if it was a newly created position or someone suddenly quit. If the company has a lot of employees working overtime, they'll be motivated to even out the workload and hire someone.

Seasonality is a factor too. November and December are generally not good times to get hired. You can still get interviews and offers during this time of year, but many companies are doing Fiscal Year Close-Out, companies may have a holiday shut down period, or people are simply on vacation.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.