How long should I wait to hear back after an interview? What are my chances to get hired? Please help!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

CW in Draper, Utah

28 months ago

I interviewed with a company last Friday afternoon (August 17) and I was one of the top 3 candidates. I interviewed with HR director and department director (the person that I am gonna work for, so I assume he is the decision maker) and I think the interview went well.

I used to work at the same department for the internship after graduated, so before the interview, HR director talked to my old manager and tried to find out things about me. And I believe the manager liked me a lot and told the HR director good things about me (because HR director mentioned that in the interview).

side note: HR director told me that my old manager wanted him to tell me that if the position I was interviewing for didn't work out, she (old manager) might have something for me.

After the interview, I asked them what the hiring process is like, and they told me I will hear from them early next week (which is this week). I sent a thank you letter to both of them via snail mail right after I got out of interview, and the letter should arrive in their office on Monday.
It's Tuesday now and I haven't heard back from them yet.

I know I shouldn't assume anything before I really get the job offer, but it's Tuesday now, and I just keep wondering, what are my chances to get hired? And how long should I wait to hear back from them before giving up hopes?

Thanks for your opinion!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

28 months ago

Their "early next week" assurance is only conversation. You cannot reasonably hold the employer to it. You have to give the process time.

You need to distract yourself. A good distraction is to work on running down job leads and applying for those jobs. Polish your resume and form cover letter. Read books on interviewing. Anything that can help you better yourself while you wait to hear from this employer.

Inasmuch as you interned for this employer and it is acquainted with you, you can follow up. But wait several days before you do. In any event, be assured the employer will spare no effort in hunting you down if it is interested in you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

flygirl in Kenosha, Wisconsin

28 months ago

Bluetea is correct, you should keep looking as nothing is a sure thing. So keep searching and stay positive. Best of luck to you...hope it works out!
:D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

CW in Draper, Utah

28 months ago

Thanks for all the inputs. Trust me, I never stop looking until I have a job offer. It's just this and another interview I had (the one who they already checked my references and so on) are the closest I've been having so far. (Both got good references). And like I just said, I never stop looking/applying for jobs, but I just hope this job searching thing can be done soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

CW in Draper, Utah said: Thanks for all the inputs. Trust me, I never stop looking until I have a job offer. It's just this and another interview I had (the one who they already checked my references and so on) are the closest I've been having so far. (Both got good references). And like I just said, I never stop looking/applying for jobs, but I just hope this job searching thing can be done soon!

The minute you get your next job is when you start looking for the one after that. Your next job is not going to be your last one. Don't get complacent.

All the books say that now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: The minute you get your next job is when you start looking for the one after that. Your next job is not going to be your last one. Don't get complacent.

All the books say that now.

You do way too much reading.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: You do way too much reading.

Get a job ya bum!

Still channeling my father.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

28 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Thank God you never got that boob job, we would of miss out on your personality.

Then again, it's not too late, 60 is the new 40. Someone should let Hiring Managers know that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Then again, it's not too late, 60 is the new 40. Someone should let Hiring Managers know that.

Joe? Mom says by your logic if 60 is the new 40, then 40 is the new 20. She also says your dinner is ready.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

ss in Providence, Rhode Island

18 months ago

The hiring process is horrible for sure. If they said a week then follow up. Don't wait, that's a ridiculous statement..so tired hearing people are overworked. But above all keep looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.