loss of job due to failed drug test what do you say to a new potential employer in an interview.

Comments (1 to 50 of 53)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Career Hunter in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

Guide

Don't bring it up. I got a promotion at Home Depot once because the guy who originally got the position celebrated with a big ol' fatty before he had the mandatory drug test.

Find a better reason; the old employer won't reveal why you left.

nagromklew in Madison, Wisconsin

64 months ago

Career Hunter in Denver, Colorado said: Don't bring it up. I got a promotion at Home Depot once because the guy who originally got the position celebrated with a big ol' fatty before he had the mandatory drug test.

Find a better reason; the old employer won't reveal why you left.

Questions - was the other guy being promoted or a fresh hire?

sjpacello in Auburn, California

61 months ago

Was your positive result legitimate? I worked for HD for 4.5 weeks and got fired for failing the "PRE-employment" drug screen. Fact is, I've never done illegal drugs in my life. I worked for the Home Services Div. I wore the Orange and masqueraded as a clerk but sold Home Improvement. I got paid via US Mail. Regional Office was 100 miles away. First check was late and my inquiries were ignored. Finally, after two weeks I called corporate in Atl. Problem resolved but my boss got chewed-out and, naturally, it was my fault. So, get this, he calls my HOME on a workday (Thurs) to fire me. It was a holiday weekend (3 days) for mgmnt but not for bottomfeeders. So three days pass then, Mon morning, he calls the store and I get the boot OVER THE PHONE!!! No paycheck and no demand for the apron. (I still have it) I called BS and you would not believe what transpired. They falsified a result form. They took me for such an idiot they didn't even bother to make it look authentic. It just states "Positive." And the donor date was wrong with a reporting date 62 days after I donated.(CP statement: 2 to 3 days) Not only that, a "confirmed" drug user was allowed to work 3 more days. ZERO TOLERANCE? Of course an unemployed, white, mid-aged male can't get a lawyer on contingency and HD knew it. Who needs one. I filed and am acting in pro per. The extremes they have gone to are unbelieveable. They claim I wasn't being paid because I failed the DT and was never put in the "system." Even though I received a benefit pkg in the mail 2 weeks after being fired. They also claim my boss "immediately" looked into my payroll issue when he discovered my failed DT. That would be 13 days before I got fired. ZERO TOLERANCE? They also say my "criminal background report" was mistaken for the DT result. PLEASE!! It states in BIG BOLD LETTERS across the top "CRIMINAL" Bottom line is they violated 4 labor law codes and their using this "failed drug test" to cover their ass.

mikezor5@aol.com in Arlington Heights, Illinois

55 months ago

I was asked to do a urine test where I just swished the urine around in the container empty the container and return it (the container) to the office. I wasn't paying attention but she did something and said the test was positive. I have never done any illegal drugs in my life so I know the test was not accurate. Does anyone know if there is a test that can be done without a sample. I know there has to be a sample to test. So I'm not sure what's going on here. This was done at a Temp. Agency.

Mike

East Bay FTW in Oakland, California

53 months ago

Messed up said: If I failed a DOT pre employment drug test for an airline, will the next airline find out what happened??? Need no lectures, I've paid dearly for my mistake. I just got hired by another airline and I am hoping they cannot uncover info!!

Here is a snippet from the DOT Drug and Alcohol testing Bible

"Aviation employers must keep commercial pilot positive, negative, and refusal records for 5 years because of the Pilot Record Improvement Act and must keep employee dispute records." www.dot.gov/ost/dapc/documents/EmployerGuidelinesOctober012010.pdf

It has been a long time since I have dealt with drug testing laws and am unsure if any knew laws require this info to be disclosed to potential employers.
I would imagine that with all of the new laws and regulations for Airline travel and safety that this info would need to be disclosed even for ground crew. You may consider contacting a DOT official in the drug and alcohol unit. Most of them will answer your questions with little hassle.

Sharon Perry in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

53 months ago

Sharon Perry in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: Don't tell! The only thing a company is allowed to ask your previous employer is how long you worked there and would they hire you back. Any other info offered, sue their pants off.

Oh one more thing. There used to be something you could buy at health food stores called "The Stuff". Drink it before your test.

vj.gallegos@yahoo.com in San Martin, California

53 months ago

josh in Charlotte, Michigan said: i dont know if i should tell a potential employer exactly why i lost my job.

Be honest and sincere .tell him I made careless regrettable decisions and learned from
this experience ,I will not repeat
again.

samaria in Glen Burnie, Maryland

52 months ago

i was recently discharged because i asked to go home early because i was sick and my employer told me i could and when i was getting ready to leave another manager said that they had reason to drug test me .. ithen said asked if they were testing me because i was sick?? they said no i then talked to the person i asked to go home witch is the store manager he said because some one told him that i may be on some kind of drugs.. i then asked him if he thought i was on drugs he said no.. i asked do you smell alchole on me he said no... he told me because some body told him that that i would have to go.. so i went and urin test came back positive because i smoked a couple of puffs of weed on new years eve did not think about then .. and then they told me i was on suspention until results came back no one called me and told me i was termenated wut should i do, can i file for unemployment.

USDA3882 in Oakland, California

52 months ago

Sumaria,
Was it a Manager or Supervisor the one that observed behavior from you that could indicate you were under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol at work?
Was it a "reasonable suspicion", "post accident/exposure", or a "random test"? It is very important that you find this out. An equal co-worker cannot go to a Supervisor and say they think you're on drugs. Request that a confirmation test is done. When you are tested the testing facility will put the specimen in 2 containers. One for initial testing and one for a requested confirmation. This will not normally be done automatically. You only have a certain time-frame to request this. But it sounds like you knew you were dirty so it may not matter,

State of Maryland law on testing:

Under Md. Code Ann., Health-Gen. 17-214, employers may test their employees for drugs and alcohol for any "legitimate business purpose." However, the statute outlines specific procedural requirements and employee rights in cases where positive results may be used for discipline.

Maryland laws for testing is a bit stricter than other states:

"Maryland testing is permitted if supported by legitimate business reasons"

Was your illness a "legitimate business reason" that warranted testing?

Not to question your integrity but, as with many of these online forums, we only hear one side of the story and many times information is omitted to bias. It may be in your best interest to contact an Attorney in your area. Get all of the documentation possible. Results, reasons, who observed you, etc.

Good luck

Doubting Thomas in Simpsonville, South Carolina

52 months ago

What’s the big effing deal any way about testing positive? As long as my recreational use does not affect my work performance and I’m not hurting anyone ,why should the corporate world be allowed to have a say as to what I do in my off time. What I do away from work is nobody’s effing business but mine.

Jess in Baltimore, Maryland

50 months ago

positivly pissed in Taunton, Massachusetts said: i worked for pepsi as a merchandiser and was being moved to a truck driving position well needless to say i faild my urine test and was fired under no tolerence laws from pepsi...how do i find out if that test was for DOT or for pre-employment of new position..any links to help please let me know any and all info u got.thank ya kindly

ask for a copy of the COC (chain of custody) from the place where your had the testing done...there has to be a reason for the test selected and if it was DOT the form will say FEDERAL DRUG TESTING FORM somewhere on it.

heidi in Kansas City, Kansas

48 months ago

ok i failed a drug test that wasnt for the company i worked for but for the hospital. i told my supervisior i dont think i would pass and she told me that the doctor would give me the benifit of the doubt well he didnt now i dont have a job but they are giving thirty days for people to get cleaned up...i didnt get that same thirty days ....what to do is that right that others get time and i didnt? they fired me over the phone on my day off

heidi in Kansas City, Kansas

48 months ago

i worked for this place for over 3 years never had a complaint or anything ....i took a drug test and failed before taking it i told my supervisior that i dont think i would pass she said the doctor would give me the benifit of the doubt so i took it needless to say a week later on my day off i got a call from her telling me i was fired now they are giving thirty days for everyone to take one i didnt get thirty days .....the test wasnt for my company...do i have any rights ...i feel if they get thirty days i should i would have been good then ...any advice would be great

jftoday in Aiken, South Carolina

48 months ago

Heidi,

Unfortunately, you’re screwed. They are not required to give you the benefit of the doubt.
H. R. Although not necessarily legal, it’s almost impossible to prove. Even if they did give another employee 30 days to get clean, those employees are not very likely to admit this for fear of retribution (losing there job).

48 months ago

Heidi,

As I said before, unfortunately, you’re screwed. They are not required to give you the benefit of the doubt.
H. R. Although not necessarily legal, it’s almost impossible to prove. Even if they did give another employee 30 days to get clean, those employees are not very likely to admit this for fear of retribution (losing there job).
Nevertheless, you’re out of work and are now looking for a job. Therefore, DO NOT RELEASE THIS INFORMATION TO A PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYER.
The chances of any future employer finding this out is slim. A past employer is limited as to what information they may release and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES are they allow to release medical information about you and a urinalysis is most definitely medical information. Moreover, this would include medical information discussed between you and a previous employer.
When drug addiction was classified as a disease, it then fell under the category of a medical problem therefore any information about you and your drug use may not be given to anybody without your consent.

starletajm in Arvada, Colorado

47 months ago

My current job is on a little town w/25 beds for the floor and 5 ED.

I have been there 4 years in Aug. I built that department that I work in from the ground up and was going to do some classes (optional) for PAs, NPs, Drs., EMTs., and anyone that wants to come to our hospital.

What I am made about is that I had to have a laminetomony on the L4-L% right side on April 15th. took 6 weeks off, and really felt I needed a month off, but my surgeon thought it would be better @ 6 weeks.

I am again out of my job, do have FMLA and AFLC is working on my short term disability to come thru. & then the they want me to go to rehab because I had many difficulties post surgery. I am pissed off!

My friend/co-work/boss, I thought was my friends and none of them are!

My sisters aren't also - who had a baby on June 27, and didn't want me to visit in the hospital, but according to my Momm, they were expecting me to visit their home? I only have $60 to get thru until AFLAC comes thru!

I am seeng a new pscyhistrast - and she has me on GABA. Seems to be better.

I just am so made that even with the suregery I have to do all of this crap!

I just am really mad and upset!

Kelly in Belleville, Illinois

43 months ago

Dennis in Staunton, Illinois said: You're right doubting, who cares what you do on your own time. The problem is that I don't know if there are tests for drugs that show if you are under the influence like there is for alcohol. I've never heard fo a breathalyzer for meth, pot or whatever.

what is a saliva test?

Richard in Springfield, Missouri

43 months ago

I do not know about a "saliva test" but I do know that many employers will take a few strands of your hair and that they can find evidence of many chemicals (drugs) therin.

It makes no difference to the zero tolerance employer when you used. If the test comes back positive for a banned substance, you do not pass.

mikezor5 in Arlington Heights, Illinois

43 months ago

I was on a doctor's prescription when I tested and informed the parties doing the testing but it didn't matter even after I brought the prescription and gave them permission to call the doctor.

IslandStyle

43 months ago

Richard in Springfield, Missouri said: I do not know about a "saliva test" but I do know that many employers will take a few strands of your hair and that they can find evidence of many chemicals tances in your(drugs) therin.

It makes no difference to the zero tolerance employer when you used. If the test comes back positive for a banned substance, you do not pass.

It should be noted that the hair follicle test only can detect substances in your system for 90 days. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either uninformed or straight lying. Not to mention the hair follicle test is extremely expensive for employers.

43 months ago

I am a little surprised at your question most everyone knows there are drug tests for everything.
I used to work for a company that did saliva drug testing. I can say from personal experience it is not very accurate mostly the test will give a false negative. I smoked a joint before work. I used visine but my boss mentioned my eyes were glossy. she gave me a saliva test then and there. I passed with flying colors. at the time I was also taking Vicodin I did have a scrip for it but it still did not test pos.

43 months ago

IslandStyle said: It should be noted that the hair follicle test only can detect substances in your system for 90 days. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either uninformed or straight lying. Not to mention the hair follicle test is extremely expensive for employers.

This is true. A standard hair follicle screen covers a period of approximately 90 days. However,it is susceptible to time variation depending on the growth rate of your hair. The hair sample is cut as close to the scalp as possible and the most recent 3.9cm (or 1.5 inches) are tested. It is possible to go back even further than 90 days since the time period is limited only by the length of the hair sample, but is standardized to a 90 day history.

jesorona79 in Puyallup, Washington

42 months ago

how do i dispute a urine drug test that showed A high quanity of THC? I recently had surgery and was take meds ( vicoden, antibotics cefilexin and 1600mgs iubprofen) I did some reach and seen from more than one site that sometimes Ibuprofen, excedrin ect... can give a faulse/negative reading. I was pretty upset and shocked cause shouldnt have had any traces of marijuana in my system. I dont know what happen but wanna dispute it and not sure how to go about it. Please Help direct me in the right directions to take action. I was a school bus driver for 6yr and never failed a test. This has been really embarissing.

42 months ago

Hi J., I'm not doubting any of what you're saying, but would like to steer you in the right direction. Internet sites that would like you to buy there product will tell you there are a lot of things that will cause false positives. In reality Because marijuana’s metabolite is fairly unique,"false positives" are rare. Nevertheless, there is one prescription medication that is known to cause a false positive, Protonix, a medication commonly used for GERD otherwise known as acid reflux or more commonly heartburn. However if you are absolutely sure that (aside from the meds you're taking) you are neg. for THC then you do have an ace up your sleeve. If you are were employed as a school bus driver at the time of testing you and they are subject to DOT laws and you can insist that your employer (unfortunately at your expense)have the test confirmed by another lab. with GCMS (gas chromatography/mass spectrometry) They will test the same sample as your first(you don't get to give another sample) If you are truly neg. than the expense is worth it to clear your good reputation and you should be reinstated by the school district for which you were employed and your CDL would also be reinstated. I would imagine if the confirmation test came back neg I would think you could get your money you paid to have it confirmed reimbursed. attached are two sites you can trust for correct information. and I wish you the best of luck.

norml.org/legal/drug-testing/item/the-abcs-of-marijuana-and-drug-testing

www.canorml.org/healthfacts/testing.tips.html

Bluetea in Texas

42 months ago

jesorona79 in Puyallup, Washington said: how do i dispute a urine drug test that showed A high quanity of THC? I recently had surgery and was take meds ( vicoden, antibotics cefilexin and 1600mgs iubprofen) I did some reach and seen from more than one site that sometimes Ibuprofen, excedrin ect... can give a faulse/negative reading. I was pretty upset and shocked cause shouldnt have had any traces of marijuana in my system. I dont know what happen but wanna dispute it and not sure how to go about it. Please Help direct me in the right directions to take action. I was a school bus driver for 6yr and never failed a test. This has been really embarissing.

Many times, if you applying for a job in "the public trust", it is not just the ILLEGAL drugs that they are looking for.

Pain meds, anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, etc., all of this, even if prescribed will disquality you.

I don't know if they are going to let you drive a school bus unless you have a story that they haven't heard before.

42 months ago

Bluetea, you're right in saying that sometimes they are looking for something other than illegal drugs and if this were a case of pre-employment drug screen I might agree with your insight. However, in the case of a current employee medical conditions may not legally be considered unless they jeopardize work place safety.

TMA in Tucson, Arizona

42 months ago

jesorona79 in Puyallup, Washington said: how do i dispute a urine drug test that showed A high quanity of THC? I recently had surgery and was take meds ( vicoden, antibotics cefilexin and 1600mgs iubprofen) I did some reach and seen from more than one site that sometimes Ibuprofen, excedrin ect... can give a faulse/negative reading. I was pretty upset and shocked cause shouldnt have had any traces of marijuana in my system. I dont know what happen but wanna dispute it and not sure how to go about it. Please Help direct me in the right directions to take action. I was a school bus driver for 6yr and never failed a test. This has been really embarissing.

Jes,i just had the same thing happen to me, i have been employeed for 6.5 years and went in for random drug testing and tested + for THC. I was terminated. I am still in shock because i don't smoke pot. I have been researching endlessly on WHAT could of caused this. Ibuprofen came up as a number one medicine that can effect test, even known to show as THC in the GC/MS test, even though it is said that this has been perfected. I also take a variety of vitamins and herbs.I have chronic back issues which led me to take ibuprofen, up to 2400 mg/ day.
I am actively looking for legal counsel. I work in an At Will state meaning employer can terminate for any reason. Since another employee recently tested positive (without disclosure) and still is employeed, i just might have a discrimination case based on disability. Trying to maintain just remembering that God has other plans for me, better be good! I know in my heart i did nothing wrong, although that is not going to pay the bills.keep your chin up and hope u recover quickly.

jesorona79 in Puyallup, Washington

42 months ago

TMA in Tucson, Thankyou for reasuring me im not the only one out their. I have been having alot of medical issues as well and resently had surgery 2 weeks befor i was tested. I also have been taking a large dose of iubprofen 1600mgs plus a day. Im still trying to fight this and today was able to get them to send my other sample that they saved to the lab for further testings... All i can do now is pray everything will be ok. Also took this to my union rep. I know things happen for a reason and sometimes dont understand, but i at least hope i can get this removed from my record. Thank you for your input, im just doing the best i can to get through this.

Lost.. in Ocala, Florida

42 months ago

I was given a random urine drug screen from my Pain Mgt. Doctor. There was NO chain of command at all and my name was not even on the cup when I placed it where I was told to. I walked straight out of the bathroom, got my appt. card, prescription and left. Three weeks later I received a Certified Letter stating that I tested positive for 2 substances not being prescribed to me and not showing what I was prescribed and was actually taking. I immediately called them, told them it was a big mistake and BEGGED to be re-tested. NO DICE! I keep trying to research on what recourse I have.Why wouldn't they have just redone the test? It is beyond un-fair to be accused of this and have no way to clear my name. Every site I find seems aimed at trying to cheat a test. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ???

Happy New Year in Ponchatoula, Louisiana

41 months ago

I asked the manager when do they drug test and she told me that lynn co, wich is the mangment com. Did not drug test. I have work there for 5 month. When we came back from the new year a new mangement Co.Grey star was waiting for us to arive on 1/2/12 and had us all go take a drug test that day to be rehired with Gray Star com. To my surprise i faid the test. I was under the under standing I was working at the Gates at Citi Place and they did not drug test. Was this leagle to do

just being careful in Aiken, South Carolina

40 months ago

Sorry, but they absolutely have the right to do that if you are changing companies. "lynn co, wich is the mangment comwaiting for us to arive on 1/2/12 and had us all go take a drug test that day to be rehired with Gray Star com". if a urinalysis is required for the new company Gray Star com for you to be rehired then I'm Sorry my friend; there is not much you can do

jay in Charlottesville, Virginia

40 months ago

I was busted for possession of marijauna with intent to distribute 25 years ago in NJ. I pleaded guilty and received 3 years probation. This was a felony conviction. I paid a high price in financial costs and the emotional toll from the guilt and stigma that are associated with a criminal conviction. I have learned a hard lesson from my experience. I am a Professional with a long career.
My professional reputation is excellent. 3 years ago, I was laid off due to the recession. I have interviewed with a number of potential employers with no success. We are sick with worry!
More employers have recently interviewed me. 3 are currently interested. I have lied to one company about my drug conviction. I have not given the other 2 any information yet. I could have my record expunged in NJ, but the time lag is too great. What do I do? I could lie and hope for the best, but I know that public information companies have my records online. So, I don't have any choice but to reveal myself about an event that happened 25 years ago in another state. What do I say? One job is a huge opportunity for me. If I make a mistake now, I could lose the job. The HR person appeared to be open and honest, and even cited a case of a person who lied about a pot conviction to her and was refused a job because he lied.. She said they would have worked with them if he had told the truth. Trust is soo important in the work place. I don't want to start a work relationship having to look over my shoulder all the time, and my integrity is a very important part of my person. Any comments and advice would be helpful!! I don't want to hear bad

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

40 months ago

First, I'd start the process of getting that conviction expunged.
I did something stupid when I was 18 too, but I got that pardoned as soon as I was eligible.

Apparently, when this happens, the criminal record is locked up with the Feds and only they can access it.
This was put to the test a few years ago when I was being hired by a bank and they wanted to do a criminal check.
It came back clean !

But right now, for you, I'd say you need to be honest with your potential employer.
Besides, you're in front of them because you've got a set of skills and experience they're interested in, not because you filled out an application to bring shopping carts in from the parking lot.

Terrance webb in Douglas, Georgia

40 months ago

Well for me i tested positive on my job and i don't do drug but after reading what yall been threw count me in. cause i took some ibuprofen and my test said i had cocaine in my system and im like what the what. Now i know something anit right with that. but i feel yall pain when you done lost your job and you can do nothing about it. But GOD knows and he can do something about it just pray and believe. cause they don't care if you got bills or kids to feed as long as they got a job. so don't let it put u down. as long as you breath there is Hope.

babygirl in Grand Prairie, Texas

39 months ago

i have a question if any body can answer it i failed a drug test 2 year ago in avaiton can i get other one in avaiton

Momma

39 months ago

babygirl in Grand Prairie, Texas said: i have a question if any body can answer it i failed a drug test 2 year ago in avaiton can i get other one in avaiton

Give more details and I can give u an answer!! What position where u in???

TMA in Tucson, Arizona

39 months ago

jay in Charlottesville, Virginia said: I was busted for possession of marijauna with intent to distribute 25 years ago in NJ. I pleaded guilty and received 3 years probation. This was a felony conviction. I paid a high price in financial costs and the emotional toll from the guilt and stigma that are associated with a criminal conviction. I have learned a hard lesson from my experience. I am a Professional with a long career.
My professional reputation is excellent. 3 years ago, I was laid off due to the recession. I have interviewed with a number of potential employers with no success. We are sick with worry!
More employers have recently interviewed me. 3 are currently interested. I have lied to one company about my drug conviction. I have not given the other 2 any information yet. I could have my record expunged in NJ, but the time lag is too great. What do I do? I could lie and hope for the best, but I know that public information companies have my records online. So, I don't have any choice but to reveal myself about an event that happened 25 years ago in another state. What do I say? One job is a huge opportunity for me. If I make a mistake now, I could lose the job. The HR person appeared to be open and honest, and even cited a case of a person who lied about a pot conviction to her and was refused a job because he lied.. She said they would have worked with them if he had told the truth. Trust is soo important in the work place. I don't want to start a work relationship having to look over my shoulder all the time, and my integrity is a very important part of my person. Any comments and advice would be helpful!! I don't want to hear bad

Jay, I would be honest about it. Even though awkward to find the right time in the interview to interject what happened. I don't know...it sounds like you know the answer, which is to maintain your honesty and integrity. I would stick with what you feel is the right thing to do.

Momma in Saint Petersburg, Florida

39 months ago

Jay, your story is all to familiar to many. If one gets a felony many opportunities are cut off!! Even after one has been rehabilitated and paid their debt to society, the past still follows you, especially with the invent of the Internet, finding dirt on someone is to easy!! After a felony , it's hard to secure emPloyment, housing, state aid etc, causing many to reoffend just to survive!! My advice is to be hOnest and hope that the company your are interviewing with understands and appreciates honesty!! Good luck and keep us posted as to how it turns out...

lfrogg in Las Vegas, Nevada

39 months ago

Anyone ever heard of not having the right to drug test results? After taking the drug test, for suspicion, and going to HR I was terminated. I was never told pass/fail and I "must have" tested positive. When I asked for a copy of results I was told it was company property and NO. I don't use and I would never take a test knowing I would fail. I can't believe I can't see my own test results that got me fired.

Denise In Alabama

34 months ago

My son worked at a wholesale warehouse, he is chosen for the "random" drug test about 75% of the time and others are never chosen. He was almost at his anniversary hire date and would be due 3 weeks vacation. He had been asking for vacation and the supervisor always buts him off even though he still had 5 days of vacation that needed to be taken before his anniversary. 16 days before his anniversary date he was chosen for yet another "random" and he failed. They did not fire him or say anything yet had him finish that week,work all the next week and one day of the following week then at the end of his shift they fired him for his positive drug test 14 days after his initial positive and 13 days after he was sent to a lab for confirmation. It just so happens that this date is only 2 or 3 days before his anniversary date and he still has five days of vacation time that he was taking within the week. They needed him there because they had other employees taking their vacation and the day after his termination the last 2 were due back to work. They sat on his failed test for 2 weeks and used him but made sure to fire him before he would have been certainly due for another 3 weeks of paid vacation time. We need to know if he stands a decent chance of getting his additional 3 weeks and/or unemployment? Were their actions legal? How long can an employer sit on a failed test and hold it over your head? Is there a limit to how many times they can target one specific person for a so called random? He would have been there for 8 years without missing one single day and he was employee of the month at least once every year that he was there ( once a year was the maximum anyone could get). His first year of paid vacation, the supervisor would not allow him to take his last day and then when his anniversary date came around he was told that he forfeited that day and could not get it back or be paid for it. He has also been shorted on checks and not paid.

FroggyWolf in Los Angeles, California

30 months ago

I've worked for this company for over 2yrs and about a month ago I hurt my back lifting something the wrong way. When I told a manager they said to go home and see how I feel the next day, didn't fill out an incident report or anything. Came back 3 days later and went to put something on the bottom of a cart and couldn't stand back up. Asked my manager if I could still file a claim so I could go see a doctor, said she had to check with the other manager. Waited a week with no response so towards end of my shift (2 weeks after injury) I found my immediate manager and told her everything that had happened, went to ER that day, took a urine test, and now on light duty and physical therapy. My problem is that the results just now came back, test was taken Nov 3, today Nov 15 and said I tested positive for meth, which I don't use, and marijuana. Told the MRO doc I used pot bout week before test because pain from injury was really bad, doc hardly let me say anything in defense of the results. Called my HR lady at work, she said to call and talk to them again.
So my question is how do I keep my job with a positive test? I take a number of prescriptions and OTC meds everyday, some of which I think contributed to the meth positive, will that help save my job?

Californiaguy in Mooresville, North Carolina

30 months ago

@froggy/wolf, it all depends, read your employee manual! Mist likely they are starting proceedings to fire you, especially if you have a safety sensitive job !! It's kind of hard to test positive for meth unless you have used it... I would go and ask my doctor what all you were prescribed! Did you have adderral???? That is an amphetamine, but I don't think that would test positive for meth... Is it possible that someone put something in your drink??? Or did you smoke a joint laced with it..???? Even so, the marijuana can be enough to get you fired.. Especially if they think u are about to file a work men's comp claim! They will really start digging if that is the case

30 months ago

Californiaguy in Mooresville, North Carolina said: @froggy/wolf, it all depends, read your employee manual! Mist likely they are starting proceedings to fire you, especially if you have a safety sensitive job !! It's kind of hard to test positive for meth unless you have used it... I would go and ask my doctor what all you were prescribed! Did you have adderral???? That is an amphetamine, but I don't think that would test positive for meth... Is it possible that someone put something in your drink??? Or did you smoke a joint laced with it..???? Even so, the marijuana can be enough to get you fired.. Especially if they think u are about to file a work men's comp claim! They will really start digging if that is the case

The thing is, is that they waited 2 weeks to even process my injury then took another 2 weeks for the results. Policy is that if your injured on the job you must fill out an incident report right away and if medical attention is needed you must submit to a drug test. I've already had 2 exams by their doctor at Concentra as well as 3 physical therapy sessions and filed worker's compensation. I know they have a no tolerance drug policy, and is grounds for termination, but isn't there something I can do considering the length of time it took from incident to now? I read that if you admit you have a problem by law employers cannot fire you but have to offer you assistance...

Californiaguy in Mooresville, North Carolina

30 months ago

FroggyWolf in Los Angeles, California said: The thing is, is that they waited 2 weeks to even process my injury then took another 2 weeks for the results. Policy is that if your injured on the job you must fill out an incident report right away and if medical attention is needed you must submit to a drug test. I've already had 2 exams by their doctor at Concentra as well as 3 physical therapy sessions and filed worker's compensation. I know they have a no tolerance drug policy, and is grounds for termination, but isn't there something I can do considering the length of time it took from incident to now? I read that if you admit you have a problem by law employers cannot fire you but have to offer you assistance...

From what I know, you have to tell them BEFORE u are tested that there is a problem! If you say afterwards it is to late! What kind of work are you speaking about??

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

30 months ago

FroggyWolf in Los Angeles, California said: I read that if you admit you have a problem by law employers cannot fire you but have to offer you assistance...

Well, you don't have a problem, right? If that is the case, do not try to lie your way out of this. You took a hit on a joint, it showed up in your urine, so now take responsibility.

30 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: Well, you don't have a problem, right? If that is the case, do not try to lie your way out of this. You took a hit on a joint, it showed up in your urine, so now take responsibility.

No, I don't have a problem, wasn't going to try & lie my way out, that's why admitted to the pot. Thing is is I don't do meth yet my test said I had positive for it. How do I defend myself and prove I didn't use that drug, that something else had to have shown as that? Think if they knew was clean from meth might have better chance of keeping my job...

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

30 months ago

Might be time to contact a lawyer to explain your circumstances and find out your rights according to CA law.

Get an appointment to speak with the Legal Aid attorney in your county. Either free or sliding scale.

Good luck.

FroggyWolf in Carson City, Nevada

30 months ago

Thanks for your advice. I talked to the test analysis people again, they said I could fax them a printout of last 3 months of prescriptions from pharmacy & may help overturn the results

jeffyatton in United Kingdom

30 months ago

ifailed a urine test 43ng/ml, but have been on medication flucloxacillin and been taking ibrufon, i do not smoke cannabis but have been in the company of people that do, have any chance of keeping my job

Sharkbait in Studio City, California

18 months ago

I just recently failed a Random Drug Test, and Iam already Enrolled in a SAP Program, and should be done within a few weeks.
Is it possible to find another Truck Driving Job after Ive Completed the SAP Course

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.